Francis Newton Thorpe.

History of Crawford County, Pennsylvania; containing a history of the county; its townships, towns, villages, schools, churches, industries, etc.; portraits of early settlers and prominent men; biographies; history of Pennsylvania; statistical and miscellaneous matter, etc., etc. Chicago, Warner, Be online

. (page 20 of 96)
Font size
QR-code for this ebook

1856; and in January, 28, 1858, our subject married Mrs. Mary Garwood, a
native of Sadsbury Township, this county, widow of Aaron Garwood, and daugh-
ter of Abel Freeman, a native of New Jersey, and one of the very early set-
tlers of western Crawford County. She had two children by her first husband,
one now living, Samuel Garwood (he had three children, two now living). By
her present husband she has had three children: Mary R., widow of Jacob Dic-
key (she has two sons and one daughter); Harriet C, wife of L. A. Couch (had
two sons, one now living), and James M., married to Miss Minnie O'Neill,
daughter of Dr. A. O'Neill, of Conneautville (they have one son, J. Glenn).
The mother of Mrs. James A. Lawrence was also a native of Sadsbury Town-
ship, this county, and her maternal grandfather, William Campbell, was one
of the very first settlers of that section. Mr. Lawrence owns 100 acres of
well improved land, most of which he cleared himself. He was the first to
introduce short horn cattle in Conneaut Township and of which he has made
a specialty. In politics he is a Democrat.

ANSON LEONARD (deceased), second son of Asa and Esther (Brown) Leon-
ard, was born in Worthingtou, Mass., January 28, 1800. He departed
this life at his old home in Penn Line, Crawford County, August 28, 1872.



830 BIOGRAPHICAL SKETCHES:

His father purchased property in Pierpont, Ohio, where he moved his family
in 1812, and it was in schools of this township that the subject of the present
sketch received most of his education, and taught many terms of school. In
1828 he was united in marriage with Miss Elizabeth Baker, daughter of Emerson
and Elizabeth (Porter) Baker, who was born in Newburyport, Mass., in 1810.
The children of this union are ten in number, viz.: Charlotte P., Mary L.
(deceased), Esther E., Asa (deceased), Myra M., Byron S., M. D. (deceased),
Hattie A., Emerson B., Lillian P., Bird A. Mr. Leonard had a decided liter-
ary mind, and upon all general subjects was well informed. He held the
office of Justice of the Peace for many years. He served as a member of the
State Legislature in 1850, and was the first Abolitionist member ever elected
from Crawford County. He was a strong supporter of and an earnest worker
in the Abolition cause.

REV. HENRY D. LOWING, minister of the Congregational Church, P.
O. Centre Road Station, was born in Gainsville, N. Y., May 29, 1827; son of
Stephen and Hannah (Cobb) Lowing, former born in Peru, N. Y., June 3, 1798,
latter in Pawlet, Vt., June 13, 1794, parents of six children, three now living.
They moved to the farm our subject now owns and lives on in Conneaut Town-
ship, this county, in 1834. \V'illiam, father of Stephen Lowing, was born
April 11, 1758, in Kingston, Jamaica, and came to this country when seven
years of age. He was a Captain in the Revolutionary war and was present at
the battles of Bunker Hill, Lexington, Concord, and was but a short distance
from Gen. Warren when he fell; ^ras at Valley Forge, battle of Monmouth,
Trenton, and under Gen. LaFayette at the capture of the British batteries at
the siege of Yorktown. About 1781 he was promoted to a Captaincy and was
honorably discharged at the close of the war. Our subject's father was a
farmer all his days, and with the assistance of his sons cleared the farm on
which he settled. He and his wife were members of the Congregational
Church. He was a Justice of the Peace ten years. He died November 28,
1871, his widow March 31, 1872. Our subject, who is fourth in the family,
was married April 21, 1853, to Miss Nancy J. Pierce, a native of Conneaut,
Ohio, and daughter of Lucius and Sarah A. (Vosburg) Pierce. To this union
were born seven children, five of whom are now living, viz. : May C. , wife of
Cassius M. Potter; Frank C, of the Linesville Herald; Henry S., Samuel W.
and Sarah J. Rev. Mr. Lowing received a common school education and at
the age of seventeen entered the Kingsville Academy, which he attended two
years. He taught school upward of twelve years and entered the ministry in
1856, since which time he has been an active worker in the Christian cause.
He was elected a member of the State Legislature in the fall of 1878, I'emain-
ing two terms; was a member of the Committees on Agriculture, Vice and
Immorality, and Librarian first term; was Chairman of the Committee on
Retrenchment and Reform, and a member of the Committee on Insurance and
Banks, County and Township second term; was one of the members instru-
mental in getting the bill passed the House amending the Constitution so as to
prohibit the sale and manufacture of liquor, but which was lost in the Senate.
In politics he is a Republican with strong temperance proclivities. He joined
the One Hundred and Fifty-fourth New York Volunteer Infantry as Chaplain
September 23, 1862, serving till January 5, 1864, when he was honorably dis-
charged for physical disability at Chattanooga, Tenn. His regiment was
attached to the Eleventh Corps and he participated in the battles of Chancel-
lorsville, Gettysburg and Mission Ridge.

SOLOMON LUKE, farmer, P. O. Centre Road Station, was born on the
farm he now owns and lives on in Conneaut Township, this county, February



CONNEAUT TOWNSHIP. 831

24, 1840; son of John and Charity (Ramore) Luke, natives of New Scotland,
N. Y., and parents of twelve children. The father of John Luke was a
soldier in the Revolutionary war and our subject has the powder horn he car-
ried during that struggle. John came to Crawford County in 1829, and was
engaged in farming all his life. He died in 1864. His widow, now in her
eighty-fifth year, is living with her son, Solomon, on the old homestead; she
is a member of the Methodist Episcopal Church. Our subject, who is eighth
in the family, received a common school education. He married, July, 1860,
Miss Margaret C. McGuire, born in 1844, a native of Summerhill Township,
this county, and daughter of Francis McGuire, one of the earliest settlers of
western Crawford. To this union have been born three girls: Mary Adella,
wife of Perry Mickle, born in 1861 (have one child, Katie, born in 1883);
Jennie M., born in 1863; and Maggie C, born in 1866. Mr. Luke is a member
of the R. T. of, T. and the State I'olice; in politics a Republican. He is
owner of fifty-one acres of well-improved land, his father's old homestead,
where he carries on a general line of farming, buying, selling and shipping
stock extensively, and is probably the largest dealer in western Crawford.

HIRAM A. MALONEY, farmer, P. O. Penn Line, was born in
Mead Township, this county, July 4, 1833; son of James and Catharine
(Flick) Maloney, former a native of Westmoreland County, latter of Susque-
hanna County, Penn. They were parents of nine children, live now living.
James Maloney came from Westmoreland County, Penn., to this county with
his parents, in August, 1797, making the journey through the wilderness on a
pair of oxen, at which time Meadville was in the midst of a forest and almost
unknown. He was a farmer all his days and cleared up a large farm in Mead
Township, this county; held several township offices. His wife died in 1860;
he died in 1863. Our subject's paternal grandfather, Daniel Maloney, was a
native of Ireland. At the breaking out of the Revolutionary war, he was
taken prisoner by the British while on board a merchant vessel, and after
being exchanged he enlisted in the American Navy and served till the close of
the war. He was present in several sharp naval engagements. Our subject,
who is second in the family, received an academic education. He taught
school in his younger days and learned the trade of carpenter, which, however,
he worked at but little. In 1860 he went into the oil regions, where he
operated with success until February, 1864, in which year he came toConneaut
Township, this county, and purchased his present farm. He was married in
1873 to Miss Myra M., daughter of Anson Leonard, whose biography appears
in this volume. Four children were born to this union: Florence E. , Charles
H. , Willie A. and Forest D. Mr. Maloney was a Justice of the Peace five
years, and has held several township offices; has been an A. F. & A. M. since
1865; is a member of the A. O. U. W. ; in politics is a Republican.

GEORGE V. MANNING, farmer, P. O. Centre Road Station, was born in
Jackson, Mich., March 14, 1839; son of Abraham and Hannah Manning,
natives of New York. The former, who was a farmer, died in 1848, and his
widow married William Miller, a native of New Jersey; he came to Crawford
County in 1834; was a farmer all his life; held several township offices and
was a man of much usefulness in his day, having assisted in constructing all
the roads in his section. He bas now attained the ripe old age of eighty-one
years. His first wife died in 1858 and is interred in the family burying ground
on the farm, where also lie the remains of the only brother of Mrs. Manning.
Our subject was married in February, 1862, to Miss Anna M. Miller, daugh-
ter of William Miller, above spoken of, born in Conneaut Township, this
county, in 1836. Seven children have been born to this union, viz.: William



832 BIOGRAPHICAL SKETCHES:

A., Stella E., George W., Charles B., Fred., Nellie H. and Annie M. Mr.
Manning owns 160 acres of improved land and has always followed farming
pursuits, excepting two years spent when a young man in a woolen factory.
He is making a specialty of the breeding and raising of short horn cattle. He
is a member of a Grange, the A. O. U. W. and State Police; has held several
township offices; in politics is a Republican. The mother of our subject is a
consistent member of the Presbyterian Church.

JOHN MAXWELL, farmer, P. O. Steamburgh, was born on the farm he
now owns and lives on in Conneaut Township, this county, June 11, 1818;
son of George and Elner (Martin) Maxwell, natives of Ireland. They settled
on the same farm our subject now occupies, about 1815; were parents of
seven children, three now living; were Protestants and good (Christians, but
had no opportunity in those early days of attending any church. Her father
settled on a farm north of them in 1805. George Maxwell died in 1852, and
his widow in 1859. Our subject received only a limited common school educa-
tion. He learned the trade of carpenter when young, and worked at it for
about seven years, since which he has been engaged in farming. He married
in 1849 Miss Emeline Phelps, a native of New York State, and daughter of
Chester Phelps, who is now living in South Penn Line. Six children were
born to this union, four now living: Allen J., Chester, Sarah Jane (wife of
Newman B. Thompson), and Emma. Mrs. Maxwell died in January, 1877.
Mr. Maxwell, wife and two sons were charter members of the Methodist Epis-
copal Church at Steamburgh, of which our subject has been Trustee and Stew-
ard ever since its organization. He takes special interest in this church and
in the Christian cause generally; he is owner of his father's old homestead, of
111 acres, well improved. His son, Allen J. is a graduate of Allegheny Col-
lege and entered the ministry in the Methodist Episcopal Church in the fall
of 1882. He is now preaching to an English congregation at Cawnpore,
India.

ALVAH D. MILLER, farmer, P. O. Linesville, was born in Tioga County,
N. Y., July 30, 1830, son of Seymour and Jerusha Miller, also natives of
Tioga County; former a soldier of the war of 1812, father of nineteen chil-
dren — twelve by his first wife, seven by his second; his father was a Revolu-
tionary soldier. Our subject, who is the eighth child by first wife, was married
February 15, 1855, to Miss Dinah Garwood, who was bom on the farm she
now lives on in Conneaut Township, this county, October 2, 1815, daughter
of Obed Garwood, who came from Cumberland County, Penn., in 1798. His
family numbered twelve children, Mra Miller being the only surviving rep-
resentative of the most prominent old pioneer family of this township. Mi.
Garwood built the first grist-mill in this section, and was engaged in milling
business nearly all his life; he was owner of 500 acres at one time, and cleared
by hard labor a large area of land. He was a cripple from birth, an earnest
Christian, a member of the Seceder Church. He died in 1851, his wife in
1846. Our subject and wife are of the Baptist persuasion. She has seventy
acres of well-improved land, part of her father's old homestead.

SAMUEL A. MILLER, farmer, P. O. Linesville, was born on the farm
he now owns and lives on in Conneaut Township, this county, August 18,
1846; son of John M. and Almira (Brown) Miller, the former a native of
Elizabeth, N. J. , the latter of Canada. They came to this county about 1824,
and settled in Conneaut Township; were parents of ten children, five now
living, and were members of the Universalist Church. John M. Miller was a
hard working man; he hauled lumber and shingles from this section to Con-
neaut Harbor on Lake Erie, and cleared a large area of land. He died in



CONNEAUT TOWNSHIP. 833"

1850, and his widow is now living with our subject on the old homestead. Two
of their sons fought for the Union cause in the war of the Rebellion. Edeon
B. was a member of Company I, One Hundred and Forty-lifth Pennsylvania
Volunteer Infantry, and was killed at the first battle of Fredericksburg. Our
subject, who is ninth in the family, received a common school education. He
enlisted, when seventeen years of age, in 1862, in Company H, One Hundred and
Forty-fifth Pennsylvania Volunteer Infantry, and served under Gen. Hancock
in the Second Corps, Army of the Potomac. He was in the battles of Antietam,
Snickers' Gap and first Fredericksburg, where he was wounded through the
right arm. He remained in a hospital at Fort Wood, N. Y. and returned to
his regiment in July, 1863. He was afterward in the battles of Brandy
Station, Mine Run, through the Wilderness campaign, including Cold Harbor
and Spottsylvania Court House, through the siege of Petersburg, the capture
of the Weldon Railroad and finally at the capture of Lee's army, besides
several minor engagements; serving in all two years and ten months. He
was honorably discharged June 5, 1865, and returned home. Our subject was
engaged in the sale of nursery stock, and in the fire insurance business for
several years. He was married, September 20, 1875, to Caroline L. Shaw,
daughter of M. D. Shaw, whose biography appears in this work. He is a
member, together with his wife, of the R. T. of T. and P. of H. Mr.
Miller owns forty- five acres of land, part of his father's old homestead. He is
a member of the G. A. R. In politics a Republican.

EDGAR PARTCH, farmer, P. O. Penn Line, was born in Ferris-
burg, Vt. , January 24, 1837; son of Esbon and Clarissa (Stearns) Partch,
also natives of Ferrisburg, the former being of English lineage. They
came to Crawford County in 1841, settling on a farm in Conneaut Township.
They were members of the Baptist Church, which merged into the United
Brethren Church, the congregation subsequently uniting with the Wesleyan
Methodist. Esbon Partch was a hatter by trade and a farmer by occupation,
and being a hard-working man, cleared a large area of land. He died in
1866. His widow now lives with her son Edgar, having attained the advanced
age of eighty years. Our subject, who is the youngest son, received but a
meager education. He learned the trade of carpenter by himself, and followed
it in connection with farming from the time he was eighteen years old. He
was married in 1858 to Miss Achsa Tanner, a native of Fowler, Ohio, and
daughter of Elisha Tanner, who came to Crawford County in 1855. Her
parents are both deceased. She died in 1859, and Mr. Partch then married,
in April, 1861, Miss Miaa Thompson, a native of Erie County, Penn., and
daughter of William Thompson, now of Conneaut Township, Erie County.
This union has resulted in three children: William E., Anna and Monnie.
Our subject, wife and children are members of the P. of H. He is owner of
266 acres of land, nearly all cleared, part of which is his father's old home-
stead. He is now making a specialty of breeding short horn cattle. He is
one of the principal stockholders in the Farmers' Store Company (limited), of
Conneaut Township. He is a member of the A. O. U. W., Masonic fraternity
and State Police. In politics he is a Republican.

JULIUS PENFIELD, farmer, P. O. Penn Line, was born in Madison
County, N. Y., May 4, 1816; son of Seth and Naamah (Staples) Penfield,
natives of Connecticut, who came to Crawford County in 1834, settling in Con-
neaut Township. Seth Penfield was a blacksmith by trade, at which he worked
to some extent in connection with farming. They were parents of eight boys,
five of whom are now living. He died in 1870, his wife in 1861. Our
subject, who is the fourth son, received but a limited education and was



834 BIOGRAPHICAL SKETCHES:

brought up to farming life. He married, June 8, 1841, Miss Eliza McCann, a
native of Dutchess County, N. Y., and daughter of John and Betsy McCann.
Four children have been born to this union: John S., Elijah S., Adelbert H.
and Sarah J., wife of Henry Sanderson. The sons were all soldiers in the war
of the Eebellion. John S. served in the Second Ohio Battery throughout the
campaign, becoming a veteran ; Adelbert H. served eighteen months in the Sec-
ond Pennsylvania Cavalry and was in several engagements; Elijah S. enlisted
in the Second Pennsylvania Cavalry, serving three years, attached to the Army
of the Potomac. He participated in several engagements, and was a prisoner in
the Rebels' hands over six months; was confined in Libby, Belle'Isle and Sal-
isbury prisons, and when exchanged was barely alive and with difficulty sur-
vived; he was honorably discharged in 1865 and returned home. He married,
in October, 1865, Miss Sarah A. Potter, daughter of George Potter. Two chil-
dren were born to this union: Hubert A. and Ruby L. Elijah S. is a member
of the G. A. R., P. of H. and A. O. U. W. Our subject owns 125 acres of fine
land, all of which he cleared. In politics he is a Republican, as are also his
three sons.

HENRY A. PENFIELD, farmer, P. 0. Conneautville, was born in Con-
neaut Township, this county, July 1, 1847, youngest son of Julius and Eliza
Penfield. Our subject received a common school education. When sixteen
years of age he enlisted in Company E, Thirty-second Pennsylvania Volunteer
Infantry, serving three months with the Army of the Potomac. Having con-
tracted disease while in the front he was discharged for physical disability,
but in 1864, his health being re-established to some extent, and his patriotism
running high, he enlisted in the Second Pennsylvania Cavalry, and again
served in the Army of the Potomac. He was engaged in the battles of Todd's
Tavern, Beaver Dam, Ashland's Station, front of Richmond, Hanover Ferry,
Old Church Tavern, Cold Harbor, Franklin Station, Prospect Hill, St Mary's
Church, Jerusalem Plank Road, and Malvern Hiil, at which place he was sun-
etruck, which caused him to be sent to the hospital. On return to his regiment
"he was present at the battles of Ream's Station, Wyott House (two days)
Boyd town Plank Road, Stony Creek, and finally at Lee's surrender; was hon-
orably discharged in July, 1865, and returned home. In February, 1867, Mr.
Penfield married Miss Freelove Fenner, a native of Conneaut Township and
daughter of Morgan L. Fenner, an old settler of this section. To this union
were born three children: Gussie, Lida, Byron. Our subject owns sixty-eight
acres well-improved land with a handsome residence on same built in 1882.
He is an A. F. & A. M., a R. T. of T., and member of the G. A. R. ; in politics
a Republican.

J. B. PHELPS, proprietor Phelps' Cheese Factory, and farmer, P. O. Con-
neautville, was born in Herkimer County, N. Y., December 12, 1836; son of
Benjamin and Sarah (Greenfield) Phelps, former a native of Rensselaer, N. Y.,
latter of Herkimer County, N. Y. They came to Crawford County in 1847
and settled in Conneaut Township; were members of the Baptist Church;
parents of nine children, eight now living. Benjamin Phelps was an exten-
sive farmer; he died June 20, 1873, his wife, January 3, 1854. Our subject,
who is the youngest in. the family, received a good common school education.
He enlisted in December, 1861, in the Second Pennsylvania Cavalry, Com-
pany I, attached to the Army of the Potomac; participated in the second bat-
tle of Bull Run and Gettysburg; was all through the Wilderness campaign;
in the battle of Weldon R. R. ; at Deep Bottom; throughout the sieg;e of
Petersburg, and finally at the surrender of Lee, besides being in sev-
eral minor engagements. He was slightly wounded in the left groin at St.



CONNEAUT TOWNSHIP. 835

Mary's Church; became veteran in 1864, and was honorably discharged July
13, 1865, as Quartermaster Sergeant Mr. Phelps was married February 22,
1866, to Miss Lucy Allen, a native of Conneaut Township, and daughter of
Daniel Allen. Two children have been born to this union: J. Guy and Sadie
L. Our subject's cheese factory is located on his farm in Conneaut Township.
It consumes the milk from about 500 cows and has a patronage which places
Mr. Phelps at the head in the confidence of the public. He is a member of
the Executive Committee of the Crawford County Agricultural Society; is an
A. F. & A. M. ; member of the G. A. K. and P. of H. ; in politics a Kepubli-
can. Mr. Phelps is owner of 150 acres of well-improved land.

GEORGE POTTER, farmer, P. 0. Steamburgh, was born in Conneaut
Township, this county, September 7, 1812; son of Samuel and Susannah
Potter, natives of New Jersey, former of whom came to Crawford County in
1799, his family in 1801. They were parents of six children, all deceased
except George, who is fifth in the family. The father of Samuel Potter was a
Revolutionary soldier and died from wounds received at the siege of York-
town. Samuel was a brick-maker by trade, but chiefly followed farming and
stock dealing. He cleared about 150 out of 600 acres of land he owned. He
died in 1866, his wife in 1864. Our subject received a limited education and
was reared a farmer. He was married in 1834 to Louise "Wilder, a native of
Batavia, N. Y., sister of Hiram Wilder, of Spring Township, this county.
Five children have been bom to this union, four of whom are now living:
Alonzo A., Franklin H., Mary J., who died in 1868 at the age of twenty-one
years; Sarah A., wife of E. S. Penfield, and Caroline E., wife of George
Huntley. Our subject and wife are charter members of the Methodist Episco-
pal Church at Steamburgh. Mr. Potter is emphatically a self-made man. In
politics he is a Republican.

JOSEPH POTTER, farmer and carpenter and joiner, P. O. Linesville,
was born in Conneaut Township, this county, April 29, 1823; son of Clark
and Nancy (Fry) Potter, former a native of New York, latter of Centre County,
Penn. ; parents of five children, four now living; members of the Methodist
Episcopal Church. Clark Potter is a descendant of one of four brothers who
came here in a very early day, of English extraction. He came to this county in
1801, with his father, Samuel Potter, a soldier of the war of 1812, and whose
father was killed in the Revolutionary war. Samuel Potter was born Septem-
ber 16, 1773, died September 18, 1865. Clark Potter was a farmer and
cleared a farm in Conneaut Township. He died January 14, 1852; his wife,
October 5, 1850. Our subject, who is the eldest in the family, settled on the
farm where he now lives in Conneaut Township, in 1853. He worked at the
trade of carpenter and joiner for forty years, in connection with farming; is
owner of eighteen acres of improved land. He was married September 16,
1849, to Sarah Wiser, widow of Alva B. Wiser, and daughter of James and
PhcEbe (Meaker) Graham, former of whom was a brother of the father of
Thomas Graham. To Mr. and Mrs. Joseph Potter were born four children,
three now living: Cassius M., Sarah A., wife of H W. Thompson, and Joseph
A. One son, Gideon L., died at the age of twenty-three years. Our subject,
wife and sons are members of the Congregational Church. Mr. Potter is a
man of literary attainments. In politics is a Republican. Mrs. Potter had
one son by her first husband, named Alva B., now residing in Hand County,
Dakota.

PHILIP ROBERTSON, farmer, P. 0. Centre Road Station, was bom in
Dryden, N. Y., May 16, 1808, son of George and Mary (Smith) Robertson,
former a native of Scotland, latter of Saratoga County, N. Y., and a member



836 BIOGRAPHICAL SKETCHES:

of the Baptist Church. They settled, about 1796, in Tompkins County, N. Y.,