Francis White Johnson.

A history of Texas and Texans (Volume 4) online

. (page 107 of 177)
Online LibraryFrancis White JohnsonA history of Texas and Texans (Volume 4) → online text (page 107 of 177)
Font size
QR-code for this ebook


ated with the Masonic Order and with the Knights of
Pythias, but has taken no active part in fraternal mat-
ters in recent years. He is a member of the El Paso
Champer of Commerce, and in politics is a Republican.
He is now retired and enjoying the comforts of a well
.spent life at his home at 1028 Olive street. Major Long
was married at Mt. Carroll, Illinois, December 9, 1867,
to Miss Julia A. Marston, who was born in the state of
Maine. Mrs. Long died July 7, 1887, at El Paso, when
about forty-two years of age. Ralph W. Long the older
■of the two children, runs the largest chicken ranch in
the country, is also the owner of the Long Lumber
Company and president of the El Paso Brewing Com-
pany at El Paso. He was married at (juincy, Illinois, to
Edith Ann Shetler. Nina D. Long, the second child of
Mr. Long, is the wife of J. E. Grayson, now a resident
of Canutillo, Texas. On October 10, 1911, Major Long
married Annie L. Bates, who was born in Athens, Ala-
bama, a daughter of William Waldrep.

Otto Herold. Not in one day is the reputation of
a large hotel built up and extended throughout a state



atry. In the entire southwest (Ik
with a better reputation for gciui;il rx.-,Hriiri>
Oriental of Dallas. A generation nf tiavcl
have known and esteemed this old hustclry.
always stood for the best standard of hotel
e, and both home and business facil



no hotel
than the
ling men
It has
comforts,
ties. As

the Oriental was supreme a quarter of a century ago,
so it is today, apace with the growing development and
improvement all over this country. The new Oriental
is one of the finest hotels in the south, and in recent
years its equipment and service have been improved and
extended far beyond any point reached in previous
years. This modern improvement of the Oriental is
largely due to the general manager, who has directed
the workings of this hotel for the past seven or eight
years. Mr. Otto Herold through his connection with the
Oriental is one of the ablest hotel men of the south, and
for this reason, and for his public spirited activities in
other directions is one of the foremost citizens of Dallas.
Otto Herold, first vice-president and general manager
of the Oriental Hotel Association, also president of the
Oriental Laundry Company, was born in St. Louis, Mis-
souri, October 9, 1875. His father was Commodore
Ferd Herold, who was born in Wiesbaden, Germany,
and came to America in 1851. He first located at a
town in Illinois, where he started a bottling works, and
was first postmaster, and in 1869 came to St. Louis,
where he engaged in the Mississippi River Steamboat
business. He built the large and commodious steam-
boat the Cherokee and Ferd Herold, after which the
Cherokee was sold to the Eagle Packet Company, and
lier name changed to the City of Chester. The Ferd
Herold is- still running regular trips up and down the
river.

Otto Herold received his education in the St. Louis
public schools, and in Smith's Academy of that city,
and on completing his education in the Academy took a
position with the Cherokee Packet Company as clerk.
After four years of that experience he became a trav-
eling salesman for the house of David Nicholson & Com-
pany, in the wholesale grocery trade. He represented
this house over a large territory, and was an energetic
and successful salesman for five years. He then was
given the place of paying teller for the Lincoln Trust
Company of St. Louis, and held that office for five years.
No position in banking requires greater skill and quick
knowledge of mankind than that of paying teller, and



in his position during that five years Mr. Herold han-
dled many millions of dollars, and established a record
among the men of his profession for the ability to serve
at almost lightning speed a long line of people waiting
to have their checks cashed. All this he could attend to
without an error. In 1904, after leaving the bank, Mr.
Herold came to Dallas as an accountant for the Oriental
Hotel Association. He was made manager in 1905, and
has managed this establishment to the present time,
having since been elected to the office of first vice presi-
dent.

It was during the period of his management that the
old Oriental Hotel has undergone its chief improve-
ments. When he came to Dallas the hotel was very-
much as it had been for many years, although even then
known all over Texas as the one standard hotel. Both
on the outside and inside the Oriental has undergone
many changes since then. The interior has been remod-
eled throughout and the cost of remodeling has been
about $100,000, and as a result the Oriental Hotel has
become one of the best equipped structures of its kind
in Texas and has resumed its old position as one of
the noted landmarks of the city. In 1905 Mr. Herold



elected vice president



well



being retained



manager for the company, and this promotion met



the



veil
year



the complete desires of the

as the large patronage of

1912 the Oriental has had

equipment, including tiirkisli liatlis nf the most modern

style, this improM'mciit alone having cost over $90,000.

In 1906 Mr. ll.-mM myanized the Oriental Laundry
Company, Imoi |h.i.iI,.(1, witli a capital stock of $100,000.
This company has i-staMished in Dallas the most up-to-
date laundry plant in the entire state, and it has facili-
ties for taking care of not only all the hotel laundry,
but for general patronage, and has done a large busi-
ness since its establishment. Mr. Herold became presi-
dent of this company at its beginning.

It is largely due to Jlr. Herold that the Adolphus
Hotel was brought to Dallas. The commission com-
mittee of Dalla.s, in its desire to establish another hotel
in the city, cooperated and advised with Mr. Herold, to
whom it submitted its general plans. After this, Mr.
Herold went to St. Louis to see Mr. Busch, and that
great capitalist, after Mr. Herold "s full explanation,
was convinced of the possibility of such a project, and
soon after purchased the site for the erection of the
hotel. The hotel building, as every one knows, is one
of the lofty and beautiful structures in the Dallas busi-
ness district, and one of the finest hotel buildings any-
where in the country. When the building had been fully
completed, Mr. and Mrs. Herold superintended the fur-
nishing of the hotel throughout, even designing the
kitchen, which is one of the most modern in the world.

Mr. Otto Herold married Miss Carolyn Bodmer, a
daughter of William Bodmer of Cincinnati, Ohio. They
are the parents of one child, Alvin W. Herold, who was
born October 27, 1903.

Edward H. Reed. One of the best equipped archi-
tects both in experience and in the technical points of
the profession in Central Texas is Edward H. Reed,
who since 1912 has been in the independent practice of
his vocation at Waco.

The only child of his parents, Edward H. Reed was
born at Newport, Kentucky, August 2, 1883. Charles
H. Reed, his father, was born at Newport, in 1848. was
a painter and decorator, and died at the age of thirty-
six years. The mother was Nellie Marsalles, born at
Newport in 1854. Edward H. Reed was educated
chieflv nt rinciniinti, Ohin, and grnduntcd from the Ohio
Mci-liiiiiirs Tn-titiit,' an.! fn.m the Cincinnati Technical
Scliodl in l;iii:;, havni;;- ,i mroi trii I .■.! ninst of his work

in the niiTlianiral .Icparti I. K.. How mil; up for some

years lie worked as a draftsinaii with several large elec-
trical manufacturing and engineering companies. In



1924



TEXAS AND TEXANS



1908 he came to Texas, and locating at Fort Worth was
engaged in the architectural department of the well
known firm of Saeger & Staats for three years. At the
end of that time the company sent him to Waco to take
the management of its local office, and after one year
he set up in business for himself and has since enjoyed
a good practice as an architect and construction engi-
neer.

Mr. Eeed was married at Newport, Kentucky, June 3,
1904, to Miss Miranda M. Smith, a daughter of Otto
Smith, now a banker of Deming, New Mexico. They
have one child, Edward H. Jr. Mr. Reed afSliates with
the Benevolent and Protective Order of Elks, the Fra-
ternal Order of Eagles, the Knights of Columbus, the
Waco Maennerchor, the Deutscher Central Verein, the
Woodmen of the World, the Young Men 's Business
League, the Ad Men's Club, the Chamber of Commerce,
the Real Estate Exchange, the Firemen's Association,
and is a member and trustee of the Catholic Church.
In politics he is a Progressive Republican. He stands
high among Waco's business men, and at the age of
thirty years has accomplished a success which many men
ten years older would well envy.

Frank H. Robinson, a resident of Sabine, Jefferson
County, Texas, was born at Newton, Texas, September
26, 18.56. He received a limited education, studied law,
and in 1878 became the publisher of the "News-Boy"
newspaper, at Jasper, TAas. He has since published
various newspapers and supplied industrial correspond-
ence to numerous publications, endeavoring to advance
East Texas to its proper place industrially. He located
at Sabine in 1898, a3 a publisher, but ceased publishing
in 1904, and became manager for the Sabine Land &
Improvement Company, the latter owning large land
and townSite interests. Under his management Sabine
has become the largest sulphur export point in the
world, and is one of the largest oil export and import
points on the Gulf of Mexico, as also a port at which
vast quantities of lumber and other Southern and West-
ern products tranship to and from laud and sea. Mr.
Robinson is local representative for the Houston Oil
Company of Texas, the East Texas Oil Company, and
for a number of private interests holding big land inter-
ests in East Texas and especially in the vicinity of •



Capt. Wilet Pickens Brown. A prominent factor
in the citizenship of Texas since 1849, when he came to
the Lone Star commonwealth as a child of twelve years
with his parents, Capt. Wiley Pickens Brown is today
one of the best known men of the eastern part of the
state. His record in military and civil life, as a business
man and financier, as a helpful public-spirited citizen
and in social and fraternal circles, has been at all times
Bueh as to win him the regard, esteem and confidence
of his fellow men, and no individual is deserving of
greater commendation for his contributions to the wel-
fare of the section in which he has resided for so many
years. He was born in Tallahachie county, Mississippi,
December 12, 1837, and is a son of Col. William A.
and Margaret (Turbeville) Brown.

Col. William A. Brown was a South Carolinian, born
in Pendleton District, in October, 1805. His father,
David Porter Brown, a planter, owned a number of
slaves and moved out to Alabama when William A. was
a boy, and lived in Lauderdale county for several years,
moving next to Mississippi, where he died in Tallahachie
county, as did his wife. David Porter Brown died about
184.5, having reached the age of about seventy-three



years.



likewise a native of South Carolina, as



his wife, Mary Anderson, after whose family the
noted Andersonville was named. Grandfather Brown's
family comprised David, Joseph, William A. ; Mary,
who married Doctor Stone; Julia, who became the wife
of Moses White, and three other daughters.



Col. William A. Brown was a Mississippi militia
colonel during the old training days and served as sheriff
of Tallahachie county for several years. He was always
a Democrat, and after coming to Texas, in 1849, was
elected treasurer of Limestone county, prior to the war.
He was located at old Springfield and had many cattle
grazing over the prairies. He did not belong to any
church, yet he believed strongly in their work and died
a Christian man, in 1869. In the matter of Secession
he encouraged it and aided and abetted the cause of
the Confederacy in every possible way, furnishing his
only son of sutKcient age for a soldier. Colonel Brown
married Margaret Turbeville, a daughter of Samuel
Turbeville, of a French family which settled in Louisi-
ana, its posterity drifting into Wilkinson county, Mis-
sissippi. Grandfather Turbeville was a planter and mar-
ried twice, rearing children by his first wife only, they
being: Mrs. Brown and Jackson Turbeville, who died
at twenty-one 3'ears of age. The children of Colonel and
Mrs. Brown were as follows: Mary, who married J. J.
CuUison and died at Fairfield, Texas; William Pink-
ney, who never reached mature life ; Capt. Wiley P. ;
Laura C, who died single; Elizabeth, who married
A. L. Steele and died in Limestone county; Albert G.,
who spent his life as a farmer and died here ; Joseph H.,
who was also a farmer and died in Limestone county,
and David Hudson, who died at the age of two years.
The mother of these children was born in 1816, and
died at the age of eighty-two years.

Capt. Wiley P. Brown grew up around old Springfield,
then the county seat of Limestone county, the family
having made the journey here by wagons and crossing
the Mississippi river at Memphis on a flatboat. The
trip was made without incident of unusual character,
and the company included Hudson Johnson and family,
the brother-in-law of Colonel Brown. Captain Brown
spent his youthful activities on his father's ranch and
attended the log schoolhouse of the community and
before becoming of age took a clerkship in a store at
the county seat for Col. J. R. Henry, a wealthy man of
this section. He succeeded this employment as clerk
and bookkeeper for Oliver Brothers up to the outbreak
of the Civil war, when he raised a company in connec-
tion with Major Farrar and was elected first lieutenant.
The company rendezvoused at Waco and was there to
become a part of Colonel Parson's regiment, but was
subsequently dissolved by Captain Farrar and Lieuten-
ant Brown then returned to Springfield. Here he at-
tempted to join Wall's Legion, forming at Galveston,
but could not get in and subsequently offered himself
as a private in Captain Shropshire's Company, Colonel
Nichols' Regiment. This was a six months regiment
and when his time was up Captain Brown returned home
and found a company organizing, joined it, and with
it marched to the front. At Old Boston the company
was reorganized and Captain Brown was elected first
lieutenant under Captain McGee, Col. T. C. Bass' Regi-
ment of cavalry, the Twentieth Texas. The captain soon
died and Captain Brown was made captain of the com-
pany and remained so through to the end of the war.

From Old Boston the regiment went to Fort Smith,
Arkansas, then to Little Rock and by forced march to
Arkansas Post, but reached there too late to prevent
its fall. The command then joined Price's army in
Northern Arkansas and took part in the battles of
Prairie Grove and Fayetteville, and then went back
again to Fort Smith and to Little Rock. It remained
there until December, 1862, when ordered north again,
and when it reached Van Buren, Arkansas, the regiment
was dismounted, this being the Twentieth Texas, Dis-
mounted Cavalry, and went into winter quarters at Fort
Smith. In the spring the regiment was assigned to
duty in the Indian Territory, very much to its chagrin
and regret, although it did valuable service there for
some months, fighting the "Pin" Indians, a tribe of
Federals. Later, in July, 1863, it engaged in battle



TEXAS AND TEXANS



1925



with General Blunt 's Federal troops at Honey Springs,
where the regiment lost heavily on both sides in killed,
wounded and prisobers taken, and was subsequently
engaged in patrol and guard duty in sections of the
country around Buffalo Gap and Fort Washita, Indian
nation, until ordered again into Louisiana. The com-
mand failed to reach Mansfield in time for that cam-
paign, but proceeded on south into Louisiana and Texas
and was disbanded at Houston.

Captain Brown reached home somewhat discouraged
and disheartened and little disposed to resume civil life
with any certainty of success. He began trading in
stock, and in the spring of 1866 turned his attention to
merchandise with Capt. J. W. Stephens, his father-in-
law. The store was situated in Springfield, and the
firm of Stephens & Brown did business for twelve years
with reasonable success. About this time the H. & T. C.
Eailway built through the county and the county seat
was removed to Groesbeek, and in 1878 the firm moved
from Mexia to the county seat. They closed out here
and after an attempt to collect the remnant of the busi-
ness of the old firm, Captain Brown entered political
life.

He was elected county treasurer of Limestone county
in 1876 and served in that office six years, and was then
elected county clerk, a capacity in which he acted ten
years, succeeding S. D. Walker and being succeeded by
J. F. Gwines. On retiring from office, Captain Brown
entered the drug business with his son, W. W. Brown,
and the firm of W. P. & W. W. Brown did business for
two years when the senior member sold out to the junior.
In the meantime Captain Brown had secured some farm-
ing interests and did something toward the development
of farms from the raw lands he owned. He also helped
to organize the Oliver Bank and was a director of it for
several years. In political matters he has ever been a
Democrat.

Captain Brown was married at Springfield, May 25,
1864. to Miss Mary Stephens, a daughter of Capt. J. W.
Stephens and Ehoda (Wilcox) Stephens, the former
born in Georgia and the latter in Vermont. They came
from Mississippi to Texa.s, where Captain Stephens died
in 1881 and his wife in 1899, their children being:
Mary; Lewis; John; Martin; Charley; Alice, the wife
of D. A. Waller; and Clara, who married David Strain.
To Captain and Mrs. Brown the following children were
born: W. W., a physician of Groesbeek; Wiley P., Jr.,
of Okmulgee, Oklahoma; Porter P., of Waco; Frank F.,
of Wichita Falls; Leslie L., of Groesbeek; John, also of
this place; Marion M., of Mexia; Howard, who died
here leaving no issue ; Lena A., wife of J. A. Walker
of Groesbeek, and Mary Pearl, the wife of E. L. Keese,
of Corsicana.

Captain Brown has been a Mason since young man-
hood, and has been a member of the Missionary Baptist
Church since 1867, being senior deacon thereof and one
of the oldest church members here. Mrs. Brown died in
the faith of this church, October 21, 1913.

Jesse Necdsous Pyle, M. D. One of the physicians
already well established and with a reputation that has
now extended beyond the immediate vicinity is Dr. Pyle,
proprietor of the sanitarium and with a large practice
both in medicine and surgery.

Jesse H. Pyle was born November 1, 1871, at Prince-
ton, Kentucky, a son of Jesse Wilson and Harriet Ellen
Pyle. Dr. Pyle is of cosmopolitan lineage, but of old
American stock. His grandmother was a Virginian and
a descendant of King James I. His great-grandfather
was a chief surgeon and served with that rank under
Washington in the Revolutionary war. The name P.vle
is found throughout the United' States. Dr. Pyle's
mother was of a southern family, and many of its mem-
bers were prominent planters and slaveholders before
the war. Jesse W. P.vle, the father, was born in Illinois,
while his wife was a native of Kentucky. The father



was a stockman and farmer, and in 1883 moved to
Texas, locating in Fannin county, where he continued as
a farmer and stockraiser until a good old age. On
retiring he lived with his children, and died at the home
of his daughter, Mrs. William Wells, at Tishmingo,
Oklahoma, at the age of eighty years, in about 1909.
The mother died December 13, 1911.

Dr. Pyle, who was one of the younger members of the
family, was liberally educated, first in the public schools
and later at Burleson College in Greenville, where he
was graduated with the degree of Bachelor of Science
in 1897. He began teaching school at the age of seven-
teen, teaching twenty-one branches. His medical studies
were begun in Barnes Medical College, St. Louis, where
in 1906 he received the degree of M. D. He located for
practice at Wolfe City, Texas, but in 1907 interrupted
his practice to continue his studies in the National Uni-
versity at St. Louis and also took special courses at
Chicago and in New York, after which, in 1911, he
located at Mineral AVells. Dr. Pyle is well equipped
both by talent and training for the treatment of all
diseases in both medicine and surgery, and has a two-
story sanitarium at Mineral Wells, with ample accom-
modations, and with a staff of trained assistants and
nurses. A fact worthy of note in this connection is that
in the thirteen years which he has served at the operat-
ing table he has lost but one patient.

As to politics. Dr. Pyle has always supported the
Democratic principles. His fraternal affiliations are with
the Woodmen of the World, the Benevolent and Pro-
tective Order of Elks and the Knights of Pythias and
his membership is also found with the Commercial Club
of Mineral Wells. His church is the Baptist.

At Wolfe City, Texas, August 19, 1900, Dr. Pyle and
Miss Euth King were married. Mrs. Pyle is a daughter
of John E. and Mary King, the father a prominent
farmer and stockman at Wolfe City and now living
retired in Mineral Wells. He came from North Carolina
to Texas about forty years ago. Two children have been
born to the marriage of Dr. and Mrs. Pyle, Miss Faula
Juanita, born June 17, 1901, and Tom Short Pyle, born
November 19, 1906. Both are now attending school.

Dr. Pyle, by reason of his professional experience,
declares that no community has a higher average of
health than that of Mineral Wells. He evidences the
fact that few children die in this community, and the
cemetery is filled with the graves mostly of the aged
among the inhabitants, while the majority of deaths are
found among the temporary sojourners, those who have
delayed their coming to this resort too long. Dr. Pyle
intends to make Mineral Wells his permanent home, and
with a good practice and a high standing among the
local citizenship has every reason to be satisfied with
career.

WiLLUM H. Whisler. Former mayor of Eosenberg,
Mr. Whisler is an old-time railroad man of Texas, and
is now one of the useful and energetic business men of
Fort Bend county.

In Arcadia, Hamilton county, Indiana, William H.
Whisler was born on September IS, 1863. When he was
twenty-one years of age he came to Texas, and that
great state has since had no more loyal citizen than he.
He is the son of Benjamin and Mary (Stokes) Whisler,
of German descent, and both natives of Pennsylvania.
They moved to Indiana at an early day, and the father
was a farmer all his life, first in 'Indiana, and later in
Jasper county, Iowa, having moved there when his son
William was three years old. The great-grandparents
of the Eosenberg citizen came from Germany to Amer-
ica, Benjamin Whisler lived an energetic and useful life,
though he was a man who never sought applause. He
and his wife are buried at Prairie City, Iowa. Very
broad in his religious views as in everything else, the
father late in life joined the Dunkards church, of which
the mother was also a member.



1926



TEXAS AND TEXANS



Coming to Texas at the age of twenty-one, William
H. Whisler began working as a telegraph operator at
Baldwin, now Dunley station, west of San Antonio. He
had learned telegraphy when a young man, and is now
one of the oldest operators in the state. Subsequently
he was telegraph operator and agent at Laeoste, Hondo,
D 'Hanis, Kline, Uvalde, Sjioflford Junction, and Thurs-
ton, for the Southern Pacific Eailroad company. Later
he came east of San Antonio, being stationed at Con-
verse, and then at Marion for four and a half years.
For some time he was employed at Wfimnr. While sta-
tioned at that town, on April 22, IsiU. lii> ni:iirii'd Miss
Detie Fisher, of Colorado county, a .l:in-linT of K. L.
and Mary (Slack) Fisher. Her fatlu-r was a native of
Virginia, and her mother of Georgia, and both were old
settlers of Texas, in which state they married. Mrs.
Whisler's great-grandfather, was a German baron,
named Von Fisher. For a number of generations her
people on both sides were planters and slave holders in
the south. Her father was a stock raiser on a large
scale, and the paternal side of the family, include many
merchants, all her uncles having followed that vocation.
John H. Fisher of Waco was one of the leading busi-
ness men of that city. Mrs. Whisler 's father is de-
ceased, and her mother is still living. The latter 's
father, Thomas Slack, lived to be ninety years old and



Online LibraryFrancis White JohnsonA history of Texas and Texans (Volume 4) → online text (page 107 of 177)