Francis White Johnson.

A history of Texas and Texans (Volume 4) online

. (page 110 of 177)
Online LibraryFrancis White JohnsonA history of Texas and Texans (Volume 4) → online text (page 110 of 177)
Font size
QR-code for this ebook


Dr. McCarver is a physician who is well entitled to
his degree of doctor of medicine, and might properly be
given a degree as an operating surgeon, if such a de-
gree were in common use. He is well equipped and has
been specially trained in surgery, and both as a physician
and surgeon has made a fine record during his career.
James W. McCarver was born January 3, 1870, in Coryell,
Coryell county, Texas. He was the oldest of ten chil-
dren, five sons and five daughters of Joseph W. and
Ella (Chambers) McCarver. The parents originally
came from Mississippi, and the father moved from that
state to Arkansas, where he was a volunteer in the
Confederate army under General Price, serving through-
out the war, and participating in a number of important
engagements. After the war he returned home, agam
took up farming and stock raising, and in 1870 came to
Texas and located in Coryell county. There he was en-
gaged in farming and raising stock, and now he and his
wife live retired at Gatesville. Dr. McCarver is de-
scended from a family of Scotland, and three brothers
including his great-grandfather came to America many
years ago, locating in the southern states, where the
family has since been well known. The doctor's father,



and other members of the family, were planters and
slave holdeis before the war.

Dr. McCarver grew up in Coryell county, attending
the schools of Coryell City. His education was excellent
both in literary courses and in medicine. After attend-
ing the Sam Houston Normal School at Huntsville, he
entered the University of Texas, where he was graduated
M. D. in 1898. For three years he practiced in his
home town, and in 1901-02 was house surgeon at St.
Mary 's Infirmary in Galveston. He then took a post-
graduate course in surgical pathology, diseases of
women, and general surgery, in the Johns Hopkins
University at Baltimore. Since 1904, Dr. McCarver has
been in practice at Brownwood, and has filled an im-
portant place in the beneficent activities of this city.

Dr. McCarver recently secured the grounds, and
with the best structures of the kind in the country as his
models, made plans and specifications for the building of
a private sanitarium in Brownwood. With its comple-
tion the doctor cares for his patients in one of the
finest and best equipped sanitariums in the state, sup-
plied with operating rooms and with accommodations for
twenty-five patients in private rooms, besides his gen-
eral ward. His facilities are now unexcelled for car-
rying on his work both in the surgical and general field
of medicine.

Dr. McCarver is a director in the Coggan National
Bank of Brownwood. In politics he is a Democrat, and
is affiliated with the Masonic Order. His church is the
Presbyterian, and he is now serving as one of the elders
in that society. On Decemljer 29, 1898, at Coryell City,
he married Miss Willie G. Sadler. She is a daughter of
Mr. and Mrs. William Sadler of Coryell, her father, now
deceased, having been a farmer and stockman.

Harberson Hudson. One of the oldest merchants at
Eockdale is Harberson Hudson, who has been identified
with the grocery trade in that locality for the past
twenty years. He is one of the most capable merchants
of Milam county, has made a thorough study of his work,
meets the demands of the popular desires along his line,
and is one of the men who, successful themselves, have
stood for general advancement and improvement in this
community.

Harberson Hudson was born in the state of Maryland
October 20, 1865, a son of Major and May (Murry)
Hudson. His father, who was born in Maryland in 1827,
was a farmer by occupation, and on moving to Texas in
1867 settled at Caldwell in Burleson county. His death
occurred in 1882. The mother, who was born in Mary-
land in 1828, died in 1904. The six children were:
Annie K., deceased; John Sidney, who lives in San An-
gelo; Thomas L., deceased; Lizzie, now Mrs. W. D.
Wells, of Eockdale; Harberson; and Lon.

Harberson Hudson grew up in Burleson county, at-
tended the public schools there and also the schools of
Eockdale until sixteen vears of age. His first experience
in mercantile life was as clerk in a grocery store at
Eockdale. By 1894, with his accumulated earnings and
experience, he and his brother Lon started an independ-
ent business under the firm name of H. & L. Hudson,
Grocers. Their store has long been recognized as the
center of reliable merchandise, and as a going concern.
The business now represents a better value than the
stock and fixtures of other concerns in this county.

Mr. Hudson is a Democrat in politics, and is an active
member of the Methodist church, having resigned the
office of steward in 1909. He owns, besides his dwelling
house, a half interest in one hundred acres of improved
farm lands in Milam county. For his recreation he oc-
casionally goes on a fishing trip, but his business and
home and family are the objects of his chief care and
attention.

At Eockdale, on November 7, 1894, Mr. Hudson mar-
ried Delia Elholm, daughter of John Elholm. They are
the parents of two children : Lon and Agnes. Lon mar-



TEXAS AND TEXANS



1933



ried Gladys Walker and lives in Dallas, where he is
cashier for a large real estate company of that city. The
daughter Agnes is a talented musician, vpas educated in
that line, and is now a teacher of music at Sharpe, in
Milam county.

Richard H. Harrison, M. D. The Harrison family
has a large representation in Texas, and Dr. Richard
Henry Harrison located at Bryan in 1896, and has since
been prominent not only in his profession but also in
public affairs.

Richard Henry Harrison was born at Bedias, Grimes
county, Texas, October 16, 1869. His father was Colonel
Richard H. Harrison, a pioneer settler, and a man widely
known in Grimes county. Grandfather Harrison, who
had a family of fifteen children, and who died in Ten-
nessee, was one of three brothers, all of whom came from
Ireland to the United States. One of these was a law-
yer, one a minister, while Grandfather Harrison com-
bined the occupations of farming and teaching. Among
his children were the following: Barney; Philip; Mont;
John; Joseph; Colonel R. H. ; Catherine, who married
and spent her life in Arkansas; Bettie Duncan; and a
Mrs. McKeever.

Colonel Richard H. Harrison came to Texas from Nash-
ville, Tennessee, about 1850. The journey was made by
wagon in company with a party of emigrants, and he
settled at Bedias, in Grimes county, where for a number
of years he was successful as a farmer and stock raiser.
At the time of his coming to Texas he was a young mar-
ried man, and he and his wife established their tirst
home in the woods. By the work of his slaves and his
own close personal supervision he improved a fine farm
and gradually got into the stock business on a large
scale, owning cattle by the thousands, hogs by the hun-
dreds, which ran wUd and pastured in the woods, and a
great many horses. The output of his farm and ranch
was driven to market across the country in the days be-
fore railroads and shipping points were generously dis-
tributed over Texas. In a public way he served in the
office of justice of the peace, and as postmaster at Bedias.
However, he was not active in politics. During the war
he was appointed colonel and served with that rank in
Texas, and at the close of the war had to give up his
slaves and had also lost much by other necessary sac-
rifices.

Colonel Harrison married Miss Lucy Bishop, whose
father, George Bishop, spent his life in Tennessee as a
planter. Mrs. Harrison is now living at Bedias at a
good old age. Her children are briefly mentioned as
follows: Donie, who married Sam MeW'horter and died
at Pankey, Texas. Ned, who died at Bedias and left a
family ; Tobe, who died in the same locality leaving chil-
dren; Emma, who married Thomas Spell, of Bryan;
Ella, wife of Dr. Weathersbee, of Bedias; Mrs. Lucy
McDougald, of Bryan; Willie, who married E. E. L. Up-
church and died at Bedias; Dr. E. H.; and Beverly, of
Bedias.

Dr. Harrison grew up in his native locality, had his
father's plantation as the scene of his early associations,
and his education was acquired partly in the local
schools, and partly in the Agricultural and Mechanical
College. Until he reached his majority he followed
farming, and at the age of twenty-two took up the study
of medicine in the University of Nashville. That insti-
tution graduated him in 1896 as doctor of medicine, and
he at once located in Bryan for practice. His interest
in the profession, and his ambition to reach the highest
possible degree of success therein has kept him a constant
student, and he has taken post-graduate work in the New
Orleans Polyclinic, the Chicago Polyclinic, and the New
York Polyclinic. He is a member of the County Med-
ical Society, and the Texas State Medical Society. Dr.
Harrison also has a record as a public spirited citizen.
In 1898 he was elected mayor of Bryan, and remained in
the office five years, resigning it for what he considered



a position offering still greater opportunity to serve the
community as city health oflicer. While mayor many
notable improvements were made in the city, including
the surfacing of Main street with clay and rocks, the
building of the Carnegie Library, and also the West
Side public school building. Dr. Harrison is known as
one of the county 's active men in Dem,ocratic politics.
He affiliates with" the Knights of Pythias, the Woodmen
of the World, and the Loyal Order of Moose in a fra-
ternal way. In May, 1895, he was married in Robertson
county to Mrs. Jennie Bethel, whose father was Sam
Evetts, a farmer of Benchley, Texas. Dr. Harrison and
wife have three children: Henry and Lucy, twins, and
Samuel Evetts.

Dr. William P. Harrison, M. D., one of the fore-
most professional and business men of Teague, is a na-
tive of Grimes county, Texas, and is a son of Bernard
Harrison, who settled in the vicinity of Bedias, as a
pioneer, prior to the Civil war period. Dr. Harrison
was a Virginian, and was a young man at the time of
his advent into Texas. He was born in Grimes county,
about 1830, and he died at his farm near Bedias, Texas,
in 1895. He spent his life as a farmer and stock man,
becoming an extensive land owner in the county, and
proving himself a successful business man. He left a
good-sized estate when he died.

Bernard Harrison was a soldier in the Civil war, and
he had his first military experience as a member of
Terry's Rangers, prior to the outbreak of the war. He
later was enlisted regularly as a Confederate soldier,
though still as a member of the well-known Terry organ-
ization, and he saw considerable active service. He was
never one to take an unduly active part in politics, though
he supported Democratic policies, and he was a member
of the Methodist Episcopal church. In his business
activities Bernard Harrison was successful and prosper-
ous and he accumulated something like five thousand
acres of land. His farm alone embraced five hundred
acres, all of which was cleared and under the plow. His
presence in that locality worked a decided improvement
in what was originally a wilderness, and the Bedias
community owed nuich to his aggressive and progressive
methods. He married Miss Margaret Plaster, a daugh-
ter of William Plaster, who was a Tennesse* settler
coming to Texas prior to the birth of his daughter. Mr.
Plaster was one of the first white settlers of Grimes
county, and he was a merchant of Bedias, presumably
the first one in the place.

Dr. Harrison of this review is one of a family of
eleven children, nine of whom yet survive, and three of
them are members of the medical profession. He is the
youngest of the family. He was born on October 12,
1880, and he passed his boyhood in the Bedias com-
munity to the age of fifteen years, when he went to the
A. & M. College at Bryan, and there acquired his
higher education. He finished the agricultural course
there, and was graduated in 1899. He began his career
in business as a traveling salesman for an advertising
house out of Chicago, and for a year he was occupied in
that manner. Then, in 1900, he took up the study of
medicine in the medical department of the University of
Texas, and in 1904 was graduated with the M. D." de-
gree. His class standing won for him an internship in
the John Sealey Hospital in Galveston, and he spent a
year there.

About this time yellow fever broke out and became
epidemic in New Orleans, and Dr. Harrison entered the
quarantine service of the state of Texas, with station at
Galveston. His assignment was that of quarantine in-
spector and with the quelling of the epidemic he left
the service. He then took up professional work with
the McCabe & Steen Construction Company, as a eon-
tract surgeon, and he served with them for three months.

In the fall of 1907 Dr. Harrison came to Teague and
established himself in practice. He has been division



1934



TEXAS AND TEXANS



surgeon for the T. & B. V. Eailway since the establish-
ment of the division here, and he is county health offi-
cer of Freestone county, as well as being a commissioned
officer of the medical corps of the Texas National Guard,
by appointment of Governor Colquitt, under date of
June 10, 1913.

As to his business connections in Teague, it may be
said that the Doctor is a stockholder in the Farmers ' and
Merchants' Bank of Teague and of the Teague Building
Company.

Dr. Harrison was married in Teague on February 2,
1910, to Miss Grace Setzer, a daughter of Mrs. H. B.
Setzer, who came to Texas from North Carolina, where
Mrs. Harrison was born. Mrs. Setzer in maidenhood
was Miss Helen Jones, and she has borne her husband
two sons and two daughters. Dr. and Mrs. Harrison are
without issue. The Doctor is a Mason, with Blue Lodge,
Chapter and Commandery affiliations, and he is also an
Elk and a Pythian Knight. He has been a delegate to
the State Democratic Conventions on several occasions,
that constituting his only political service.

John Bartow Eeese. The oldest lumber dealer of
Kerens and a resident of that little Navarro county
city since 1893, John B. Eeese well deserves his general
reputation through that community as a keen and suc-
cessful business man, who has also at various times iden-
tified himself in a public spirited manner with the im-
provements and progress of his community.

Mr. Eeese came to Texas in 1873 with his father,
Lucian Darken Eeese, who is now living at the age of
eighty-four in Kosse. The Eeese family has lived in
different states of the South a number of generations.
Grandfather Cuthbert Eeese was a farmer at Hillsboro,
Georgia, where he died before the war. He was a slave
holder. His children were: Joseph; Gus, Bettie, who
married Washington Holland; Lou, who married Gip
Connell; Lucian L.; and William. Of these Lucian and
Bettie both moved to Texas.

Lucian Larken Eeese was born in Jasper county, Geor-
gia, and for his time received a liberal education and
took up his career as a teacher. On moving from Geor-
gia to Texas he made the trip by water to New Orleans
and to Galveston, and followed up the line of the Houston
and Texas Central Eailway as far as Kosse, which was
about the limit of that road's construction at that time.
With his equipment as an educator, he resumed teaching
in Limestone county, and eventually engaged in farm-
ing. During the war he served for a time as a Con-
federate soldier, and with that exception his life has been
led along quiet and honorable lines. He is one of the
older members of the Masonic Order at Kosse, and also
affiliates with the Baptist church. In Georgia, Lucien
L. Eeese married Nancy Ann McKissick, daughter of John
McKissick and of an old family in that state. Mrs.
Eeese died at Kosse in February, 1907, at the age of
sixty-seven. Their children were: Amelia, of Kosse;
John B.; Minnie, wife of C. W. Brown of Bremond,
where she died; Montella, of Edna, Texas; and Isaac
of Lott.

John Bartow Eeese, who was born in Georgia, July
27, 1861, was twelve years old when he accompanied
his father to Texas. His education was continued in
the country schools about Kosse, and when he started
for himself it was in the vocation of farmer. With some
experience in the lumber trade, in 1893, he established
a lumber yard in Kerens in partnership with J. L. Mark
ham, and "the firm of Markham & Eeese has steadily con
tinned and prospered there to the present time, the
senior member being a resident of Kosse. For a num
ber of years this was the only lumber retail establish
ment at Kosse. Mr. Eeese has concentrated his atten
tion to the lumber business, although he owns consider
able land in the vicinity of Kerens, but that is worked
by tenants and he gives it little of his time or atten-
tion. During the past twenty years more than half the



lumber used in the construction of the town of Kerens
has come from the Markham & Beese yards.

In public affairs he has served on the board of alder-
men and is now one of the school trustees. While in
the council he aided in upbuilding and improving the
town, in grading the streets, and in laying a proper
basis for permanent improvement. The new school house
at Kerens was built when Mr. Eeese was treasurer of
the school board. In politics he has manifested little
interest in party affairs and has attended no political
convention. He is one of the Deacons of the Missionary
Baptist church of Kerens, is superintendent of the
Sunday school, and his only fraternal connection is with
the Woodmen of the World, in which he is a charter
member.

On June 10, 1886, in Limestone county Mr. Eeese
married Miss Carrie Brown. Her father, Capt. J. P.
Brown, who came from Georgia to Texas before the
war, went out from this state for service in the Confed-
erate army, was a substantial farmer, and was twice
elected a member of the Texas legislature. Captain
Brown by his first marriage had the following chil-
dren: Gip, John, Irvin, William and Jiramie, the last
the wife of Frank Bratton. Mrs. Eeeses was one of the
two children by the second marriage of Capt. Brown.
Mr. and Mrs. Eeese have the following family : Cresidus,
wife of Eoland Mays, of Kerens; Lucian Larken, who
died at the age of seventeen; Irene; Annie; Carrie;
Johunie B.; and Charles Erin.

I
Abner Luthek Lewis. Although one of the younger
members of the Grayson county bar, Abner Luther Lewis
is in the enjoyment of a distinctively representative
clientage which has connected him with much of the
important litigation tried in the courts of this district.
Locating in the practice of his profession at Denison in
1910, the favorable opinion passed upon him at that
time has in no degree been modified, but, on the con-
trary, has been strengthened with the passing years as
he has demonstrated his ability to cope with the intri-
cate problems of the law. Mr. Lewis is a native son of
Texas and of Grayson county, having been born at
Pilot Grove, December 18, 1SS6, a son of Gyton and
Jennie (Jackson) Lewis. Both parents are natives of
Grayson county, where the father was for some years
engaged in agricultural pursuits, but at this time reside
in Kimble county, where they continue to follow the till-
ing of the soil. Two children were in their family:
Abner Luther, of this review; and Archie L., who Is
successfully engaged in the bakery business at Denison.
The early education of Abner Luther Lewis was se-
cured in the public schools of Denison, but the family
finances were such that after he had passed the eighth
grade he was forced to lay aside his books and begin to
work to assist in the support of his parents. He had
early cherished an ambition, howevw, to enter the law,
and with this goal in view, while working days in the
transportation department of the offices of the Missouri,
Kansas & Texas Eailroad. at Denison, began to study
nights with such good results that he was able to secure
the honors of his class when he graduated from high
school. After eight years of day work and night study,
with such money as he had been able to save from his
earnings, he became a student in the University of
Texas," and there spent two years, proving himself a
most excellent and resceptive scholar. Upon leaving
that institution he took up the study of his chosen voca-
tion in the offices of John T. Suggs, under whose precep-
torship he made rapid progress, and January 4, 1910,
was admitted to the bar. He at once entered practice m
Denison, and here has continued to maintain his field
of endeavor. He is now recognized as one of the rising
members of the bar, a lawyer strong and logical in argu-
ment, forceful in the presentation of his cause, with a
ready command of language, and analytical reasoning
and clear deduction which prove an influencing force In



TEXAS AND TEXANS



1935



his arguments. His practice has grown steadily, and he
has been eagerly sought in a number of cases of more
than ordinary importance. Mr. Lewis is a Democrat and
has always voted in support of his party and his friends,
but his own public service has been limited to a short
term as assistant county attorney of Grayson county,
an office from which he resigned. Fraternally he is a
member of the Benevolent and Protective Order of
Elks, the Moose, the Voerwarts, the Fraternal Order of
Eagles and the Woodmen of the World, and of the last-
named has served as council commander for four years.
He is also identified with the business life of the city as
a member of the Chamber of Commerce, and has done
much to advance the moral tone of the community by his
connection with the Young Men's Christian Association
and the Methodist Episcopal church. His offices are
located at Nos. 312 and 314 Security Building.

On January 26, 1905, Mr. Lewis" was married (first)
to Miss Lillian Campbell, who died November 27, 1905.
His second marriage occurred to Miss Clara Jackson on
March 11, 1913, and to them was born on December
21, 1913, a son, Abner Luther Lewis, Jr. When he can
spare time from his large practice and other interests.
Mr. Lewis enjoys taking trips to neighboring cities, but
he has not yet found the community which he would ex-
change for Denison, in the continued prosperity of which
city he is firmly convinced. Both he and his wife are
well known in social circles of the city, and their numer-
ous friends always find a gracious welcome at the re-
fined Lewis home, located at No. 317 North ScuUln



George Washington Speed. The careers of few Tex-
ans have more marks of real business accomplishment
and achievement over obstacles than this well-known
farmer and banker of Kerens. He grew up under condi-
tions which made the obtaining of an education difficult,
was a soldier during the close of the war between the
states, lived for a number of years in close intimacy
with hardship and poverty, and finally moved out to
Texas to begin life anew.

It was in 1876 that Mr. Speed settled in Navarro
county. His first home was on Mill Creek, north of
Blooming Grove, where he began with exceedingly lim-
ited resources and bought a small and scarcely improved
tract of land on time. When he arrived he owned one
mule, and his wife and four children had come out from
Mississippi on a wagon owned by bis brother. It was
a journey of six weeks, and the trip had the usual
spice of little incidents to break its monotony.

It was from Covington county, Mississippi, near Wil-
liamsburg, that Mr. Speed set out when he determined
to seek a new home in Texas. He was born there April
11, 1846, and grew up in that locality. The time which
would have proved most valuable in securing an educa-
tion was spent in the army. He enlisted in 1864 in
Stubbs' battalion of Woods' Brigade in the Confederate
army, and was a river guard on the Mississippi river be-
tween Natchez and Yazoo city. There was no fighting
of any consequence, and after the surrender of Lee his
command was disbanded. He then returned home and
assisted his father in farming. After the war he man-
aged by hard efforts to acquire a year of schooling, and
that proved exceedingly valuable to him later in life.

On December 1, 1869, he was married, and began
housekeeping on a poor little farm from which he man-
aged to drag the living until he left that state. When
he moved away he left both the farm and the furniture
of the little cabin which stood upon it. His total re-
sources on leaving Mississippi amounted to about two
hundred dollars, and on arriving in Navarro county he
paid all the money he had, twenty dollars, toward



Online LibraryFrancis White JohnsonA history of Texas and Texans (Volume 4) → online text (page 110 of 177)