Francis White Johnson.

A history of Texas and Texans (Volume 4) online

. (page 112 of 177)
Online LibraryFrancis White JohnsonA history of Texas and Texans (Volume 4) → online text (page 112 of 177)
Font size
QR-code for this ebook


ner. Other fraternal associations of Mr. Walshe are his
connection with the Independent Order of Odd Fellows,
the Knights of Pythias and the woodmen of the World.
In the Knights of Pythias he is a Past Chancellor, and
is also a Past Grand in Oddfellowship. With his fam-
ily, he has membership in the Episcopal church of this
city.

On August 25, 1897, Mr. Walshe was married in Grand
Saline to Miss Matilda Wilderspin, of English birth,
having been born in Cambridgeshire in 1S75. She is a
daughter of Alfred Wilderspin, an inn-keeper in Ells-
worth, England, and his wife, Mary Ann (Clark) Wilder-
spin, and is one of their nine children. Four of that
number are residents of Texas. Mr. and Mrs. Walshe
have three children: Blount Ernest Anderson Walshe,
Lindley Mortimer and Mary Winifred Walshe.

David F. Stuart, M. D. A noble position, a splendid
servant of the public to his profession, a capable business
man and esteemed wherever knoT^'n for his professional
and private character, David Finney Stuart was for
forty years a resident of the city of Houston, with
which community the best portion of his life was identi-
fied. He died at his home in that city on September 8,
1909, being seventy-six years of age. He had lived in
Texas for more than half a century, and during the war
was a surgeon in the Confederate army. Houston and
Texas had no more loyal citizen than the late Dr. Stuart.
He was in the best sense of the word a philanthropist,
the every day work of his life having been of a charac-
ter which spread its benefits among hundreds of men and
women, and like the best of the representatives of his
profession, his charity was entirely unostentatious, and
was performed as a matter of duty and very often with-
out expectation of any reward.

David Finney Stuart was born in Brook county. West
Virginia, in 1833, and was descended from sturdy Scotch
ancestors. The founder of the family in Pennsylvania,
about 1800, was Galbraith Stuart, who married Miss
Mary Cummings, daughter of a prominent Virginian.
Dr. Stuart had one brother and four sisters, including
Mrs. George C. Red, who founded Stuart Seminary, one
of the successful educational institutions of the state.

Dr. Stuart grew up in the Pan Handle of West Vir-
ginia, and finished his early education in Bethany Col-
lege, an institution founded by Alexander Campbell of
the Christian church. In 1850, when seventeen v-ears of
age he came to Texas, and located at Gay Hill in Wash-
ington county, where his brother-in-law. Dr. George 0.
Red had already settled. He first studied medicine
under Dr. Red, and beginning with 1859 attended Jef-
ferson Medical College at Philadelphia, for two courses,
followed by further study in the medical college of
Louisiana at New Orleans. Returning to Texas, he soon
built up a splendid practice, and his services as a phy-
sician and surgeon were widely in demand in his part
of the state. He was not permitted to remain long
in the quiet rounds of his professional duties. With
the outbreak of the war in 1861, he was appointed as-
sistant surgeon in the Tenth Texas Regiment, and
from that was promoted to regimental surgeon. His
professional skill, executive ability, and valor in the
performance of his duties attracted the attention of the
officers of the Tennessee army, and he was next made
senior surgeoSn of Granbarry's Texas brigade, with
which he served with distinction until the close of the
war. During his services Dr. Stuart was several times
wounded, and once was captured and kept in prison at
Camp Douglas in Chicago for six months. The high
esteem in which he was held by the army officers often
brought upon him greater responsibilities than his offi-



TEXAS AND TEXANS



1939



cial position called for, but he was always equal to the
demand. It is said that among fighting soldiers no
more popular officer was to be found in the army than
Dr. Stuart.

With the close of the four years ' struggle, he re-
turned home to "Washington county, and in 1867 located
in Houston. He had an excellent practice in a short
time, and was the first physician in the city to recognize
the needs for a private hospital and act upon his recogni-
tion of that requirement. He established a private in-
firmary, in association with the late Dr. J. Larendon,
under the firm name of Stuart & Larendon. The firm
subsequently became Stuart, Larendon & Boyles, the
third member being the late T. J. Boyles. With the re-
tirement of Dr. Larendon, the firm continued as Stuart
& Boyles, until 1901 when Dr. Boyles died, after which
the title became Stuart, Eed & Stuart, the latter being
the son of Dr. Stuart.

However, it was in fields other than as a private
practitioner, or in connection with the infirmary that
Dr. Stuart made his most conspicuous mark in the
medical history of this state. In 1872 he was ap-
pointed chief surgeon of the Houston & Texas Central
Eailroad, a jiosition which he held until the time of his
death. He was also chief surgeon of the Houston,
East & West Texas Eailway when it was completed to
Houston, and when that city became a point on the lines
of the Missouri, Kansas & Texas Eailway and the Gulf,
Colorado & Santa Fe Eailway, he was likewise appointed
their local medical representative. In 1871 Dr. Stuart
was honored by election to the office of vice president
of the State Medical Society, and in 1873 was made
president of that body. In 1876 he served as a delegate
to the meeting of the International Medical Associa-
tion, held at Philadelphia, during the Centennial Cele-
bration. From 1878 to 1895 he was president of the old
Galveston Medical College, which in the latter year
became the medical department of the State University.

In Houston and South Texas, Dr. Stuart's work as
a physician is best remembered for the important serv-
ice he rendered to the cause of public health while
chairman of the city board of health in Houston. In
1867, he fell a victim to a scourge of yellow fever, passed
through it safely, and his experiences and studies sub-
sequently made him one of the recognized authorities
on this disease in all Texas. At every subsequent
recurrence of yellow fever in Houston and other Texas
communities, he was frequently consulted, and the con-
fidence of the profession and the people in Dr. Stuart
often enabled a community to withstand the plague and
prevent a complete depopulation of the locality. In 1897
it was reported that a case of yellow fever had developed
in Houston. An expert delegated by the United States
government visited the city and pronounced the case
yellow fever. Eailroad towns along all lines entering
Houston required a rigid quarantine, and it was en-
forced with such severity that it meant a terrific loss
to the commerce and prestige of the community. Dr.
Stuart through his superior skill and ability not only
proved the case was not yellow fever, but in less than
four days had convinced the health physicians of the
surrounding town of the proof of his eiiieiency, so that
all quarantines against Houston were raised. Dr. Stuart
was perhaps best known for his accomplishments in the
general field of medicine, but he was a rare surgeon and
performed many of the most difficult surgical operations.
For a number of years in Houston he represented as
medical examiner a' number of the life insurance com-
panies. It is not usual for a successful professional
man to win a reputation in practical business affairs,
but Dr. Stuart had a keen business judgment and was
often entrusted with the management of large affairs.
In 1886 he was appointed receiver of the Houston Sav-
ings Bank, and at the end of a receivership of two years,
paid the creditors seventy cents on the dollar. He was



for several years a director of the Commercial National
Bank of Houston, and interested in various other busi-
ness undertakings. Dr. Stuart was one of the leading
men in the support of the Presbyterian Church of
Houston, and was a member of the building committee
that erected the magnificent stone church at Main street
and McKinney avenue, his individual contributions hav-
ing been among the largest in the construction of that
edifice.

Dr. Stuart was first married September 17, 1867, to
Miss Ellen Dart. The children of that union were the
late Dr. J. E. Stuart of Houston, and Daisy, wife of
Dawes E. Sturgis. The mother of these two died in 1880,
and in 1883 Dr. Stuart married Miss Bettie H. Boeock.
Mrs. Stuart is still living and resides at the attractive
family home, 517 McGowan Avenue. She is the mother
of two children: Susan Walker and Mary Cummins, the
latter the wife of Dr. F. E. Boss.

Dr. V. Bascom Cozbt is one of the younger medical
men of these parts, located here since 1908. Success has
not been a stranger to him, and his efforts have brought
him a degree of prosperity of which he is well worthy.
He is a native Texan, born at Garden Valley, Smith
county, on September 29, 1875, and is the son of Colum-
bus C. Cozby and the grandson of Isaac Cozby, who
migrated to the state of Texas when a young man and
during the pioneer period, and died at Garden Valley
before the Civil war, when he was about forty-five years
of age.

Isaac Cozby was a merchant and he married Jane
TunneU. They had two children, Columbus C. and Bell,
who married T. J. Thompson. After the death of the
husband and father Mrs. Cozby married J. W. Childress
and continued to reside in the Garden Valley locality.
Columbus C. Cozby grew up in Garden Valley in the
quiet of that little village, married and ultimately en-
gaged in railroad contracting. He disappeared from the
ken of his family and friends in the pursuit of that
vocation and no later knowledge was ever gained of
him. He married Sallie Mayne, a daughter of Samuel
P. Mayne, an Alabama settler and a farmer, and Mrs.
Cozby is now a resident of the country near Ben Wheeler.
Her children are as follows: Miss Willie, who married
A. C. Knight, of Van Zandt county; V. Bascom of this
review; and Claud C, a farmer of Van Zandt county.

Dr. Cozby was reared as a boy near Colfax, in Van
Zandt county, and was educated "in the Alexander Col-
legiate Institute in Jacksonville, Texas. He engaged in
teaching when he was twenty years of age, in which
field of activity many a young professional man has
made his start in life, and he gave six years of his young
life to country and graded school work. When the Span-
ish-American war broke out he enlisted in Company K,
Fourth Texas Volunteer Infantry, with Captain Hamp-
son Gary and Colonel Edmundson in command. The
regiment camped about Houston, also San Antonio, and
was mustered out in the spring of 1899 without having
seen the enemy. Dr. Cozby then resumed teaching as
principal of the village schools of Colfax and he closed
his pedagogic career with two years of service there.

Having chosen medicine for his life work, the young
man began its study in the Southwestern University
Medical College at Dallas, in 1904, and he entered in
practice on the certificate of the medical bo.ard of the
state in 1906, practicing for two years thereafter at
Colfax. He then returned to College and was graduated
in 1908, when he located in Grand Saline. In 1910 he
took post-graduate courses in the Polyclinic in New
Orleans. He has served the Van Zandt County Medical
Society as secretary, and he is now president of the so-
ciety. He is City Health officer and does his political
work in a quiet way but nevertheless, an effective one,
as a Democrat. He has served as a member of the
school board in Grand Saline, also, and in that office
performed excellent service for his town. He has since



1940



TEXAS AND TEXANS



coming to this community manifested a genuine and
wholesome interest in the civic life of the place, and
assumed his full share in the burdens of civic responsibil-
ity, as a good citizen should.

On December i4, 1901, Dr. Cozby was married to Miss
Linnie Kirkpatrick in Van Zandt county. Her father,
J. W. Kirkpatrick, as well as her mother, who was in
her maiden days known as May Slaughter, are both
natives of the county, and are highly esteemed among
its citizenship. The children of the Kirkpatricks are
Mrs. Cozby, Janie, who married A. F. Pitts, of Grand
Saline; Andrew, also of this place; May, who mar-
ried James Crosby of this city; and Virgil. Dr. and
Mrs. Cozby have children as follows: Harold, Ray-
mond and Kuby.

Dr. Cozbv is a Mason of the Royal Arch degree. He
is Past Master of the Blue Lodge and has been a delegate
to the Cirand Lodge of the state. His church member-
ship is with the Methodist Episcopal, in which he is a
member of the board of stewards, and in which his wife
also is a member.

Yancey McKellar has spent the years of his majority
as a resident of Forney, where he has been identified
with the more important agricultural activities of the
county, and where he has added very materially to the
estate left him by his father. Today Mr. McKellar is
regarded as one of the wealthiest men in these parts,
and one of the most active along lines of industrial en-
terprises of varied natures.

Born in Henderson county, Texas, on September 13,
1859, Yancey McKellar is a son of John A. McKellar,
who came to Texas in the days when it was yet a repub-
lic and settled in what came to be called Henderson
county. He was a native of one of the Carolinas, born
there in ISIO, and moved to Alabama with his mother.
The move to Henderson county came still later, and
there he grew to manhood as one of a family of several
children. His brother, Edward McKellar, finally be-
came a resident of Shreveport, Louisiana, where some of
his family still reside.

John McKellar, it would seem from all accounts, was
educated chiefly through experience. He was, however,
wonderfully endowed with business tact and judgment,
and his foresight in those matters appeared little short
of miraculous. He lived in Henderson county until
after the Civil war, when he went to Marshall, Texas,
and there engaged in the merchandise business. Wtile
there engaged in business the Texas & Pacific railroad
began its extension westward, and he planned to keep
pace with its onward march, and wherever their line
should stop, there would he keep store. He went to
Hallville from Marshall, and afterward located in Long-
view, when the road reached that place. In this manner
did he manage to keep abreast of the building activity
of the road, and he profited some by his commercial
venture. He made money and invested it in cheap lauds,
chiefly in the black land belt of the state. In 1873 he
reached Forney and during the two years he continued
to live he devoted himself to the sale of lands and to the
management of the immense volume of financial transac-
tions that accrued as a result of his real estate deals.
He owned lands by the thousands of acres that he had
bought for two and three dollars an acre, and he sold
this at six dollars, on credit, with notes bearing ten
per cent interest. There was little farming being done
in those days in the black land prairies, but there was
an occasional spot to be found under plow, and Mr.
McKellar was a pioneer in the movement that resulted
in bringing practically every available acre of land
into a productive state. He found the virgin soils ex-
cellently adapted to wheat and corn, and it was many
years before the grain crops yielded place to cotton.

John A. McKellar married Miss Elizabeth Moore in
Alabama, and she died in Forney aged seventy years.
She accompanied her husband on his long journey through



the west into Arkansas, where they abode for a time,
thence on to Texas by wagon, reaching the Lone Star
state about 1841. Their home was a Baptist one, and
they reared their children in its simple faith and doc-
trines. Their children were six in number, and brief men-
tion is made concerning them as follows: Marl L. mar-
ried Col. Wm. L. Herndon, of Tyler, and spent her life
there; Nora died young; Susan married B. M. Boren,
also of Tyler; John C. died in Forney; Duncan Graham
is deceased; Calvin also died here, unmarried; Yancey,
the subject of this review; and Terry, who died in Texas,
before reaching years of maturity.

Yancey McKellar was born in Henderson county, this
state, as has been stated, and his early years were spent
in a more or less migratory existence until he came to
his youth. He was a lad of fourteen years when the
family finally reached Forney, and when he had finished
his schooling he joined his older brother in looking after
the affairs of their father 's estate, he having died some
years previous, and not long after they located at Forney.

Today Yancey McKeUar is one of the largest cot-
ton growers of this section. He has been directly re-
sponsible for the breaking up of hundreds of acres of
land known as the ' ' hog wallow ' ' variety, and placing
it under cultivation, has erected homes for numerous fam-
ilies who aid in the cultivation of his domain. As the
climate and soil proved its adaptability, Mr. McKellar
substituted cotton for wheat, and he has built gins on
his place from time to time, as well as having a hand
in practically every enterprise in Forney that required
a combination of capital to inaugurate. He is a heavy
stockholder in the Forney Cotton Oil and Gin Company
and is a director of the plant. He is a stockholder of
the Farmers National Bank of Forney, and is identified
with numerous other financial and industrial enterprises
of the city and county.

His home, a mansion with wide galleries and corridors
and countless rooms, is built upon the site of the parental
residence and it stands surrounded by extensive and at-
tractive grounds, its stately white columns standing forth
as fitting markers of the original abiding place of this
important family of Kaufman county.

Yancy McKellar has proven himself the true son of
his father in his business skill. He inherited sufficient
land to keep a score of farmers busy, but he has gone
steadily forward adding one responsibility after another,
with true McKellar foresight, so that he stands today as
one of the most successful men of his county, strong
in his position from every viewpoint.

An Odd Fellow, Mr. McKellar has no other fraternal
affiliations, and he is not a member of any church, despite
the fact that he was reared in its precepts. On May 20,
1892, he married Miss Emily Guyton, in Cass county,
Missouri, and they have two children, Guyton and
Elizabeth McKellar.

Michael Spellman is a well-to-do retired farmer of
Forney and president of the First National Bank of
Crandall, a lively and promising agricultural town in
Kaufman county. His residence in this section of Texas
began in childhood and he has lived within the confines
of the commonwealth since 1872. His career is one
of especial interest to those who view with concern the
rise of those whose success is accomplished through their
own unaided effort, and in this respect Mr. Spellman 's
life work thus far is especially praiseworthy.

Born in Springfield, ^^'1sconsin, in October, 1S5S,
Michael Spellman is the son of Thomas Spellman, who
came to the United States from County Galway, Ireland,
in the early forties, having been born in that country in
1818. After settling in Wisconsin, he continued there
as a resident for some years before and after the Civil
war, identifying himself with various kinds of work,
but chiefly of common labor. Though he possessed a
fair education, he chose to compete in the labor markets
for his subsistence for some years after settling on this



TEXAS AND TEXANS



1941



side of the big pond. From Philadelphia he made his
way westward by short stages, working on the Erie
canal in New York, and gradually feeling his way to-
ward the Mississippi Valley, stopping for a time at
ZanesvUle, Ohio, and reaching Wisconsin before the out-
break of the war.

During his pioneer days in Wisconsin he chanced to
engage in railroad work and eventually he became a
foreman "for his employers. In 1869 he moved to Iowa
and at Moulton he spent three years in that state from
which point he came to Texas. In Iowa he was in the
employ of Martin Flynn, a prominent railroad builder,
and he worked on the Des Moines and Mississippi Valley
and the Eock Island Eailroads, both of them building
lines that extended through the state.

Mr. Spellman brought a few teams to Texas with him
and put them to work on the Texas & Pacific, which
was then crossing rapidly toward the west. Later on
he took his outfit to San Antonio and helped to grade a
line of road from Houston to that city made sacred by
the Alamo, and when the panic of 1873 came on and
railroad construction in Texas was suspended, he aban-
doned the work, and spent the remainder of his life in
farming. In 1S76 he established his family six mUes
southwest of Forney on a place he rented, and he con-
tinued in that status as a farmer during the remainder
of his days. Thomas Spellman was reared under Roman
Catholic influence, but his children were permitted to
choose for themselves in that matter. In polities he con-
tented himself with voting the Democratic ticket, ear-
ing little for politics in all their ramifications. He mar-
ried Miss Mary Nolan in 1852, in Zanesville, Ohio, she
being a daughter of William Nolan, a farmer, and also
from County Galway. Mrs. Spellman died in Dallas,
Texas, in 1883, and Mr. Spellman passed away at Forney
in 1890. Their children were Sarah, who married Rich-
ard Paden and lives in Dallas; William, also of Dallas;
Martin, who died in Kaufman, Texas, leaving a child;
Thomas, of Forney, and Michael, the subject of this
brief review.

Michael Spellman, one might almost say, was reared
in the family of a nomad. Certain it is that he moved
about with his family more than is usually the misfor-
tune of a small boy, and the result was that in the mat-
ter of his education he was very much neglected. He
was ever in an atmosphere of industry, and he early
learned that a career of labor was for him. He was am-
bitious and energetic, however, counting it no hard-
ship to work, though he sometimes endured and suf-
fered experiences that he recognizes today as having
been genuine hardships, in order that he might help
in the maintenance of the family. One incident alone
will serve to illustrate something of the manner of the
boy 's life. When he was about twenty years of age
he and his brothers went into the bottoms of the East
Fork of the Trinity in Kaufman county to make fence
rails. It was in the dead of winter and they provided
themselves with a wagon to sleep in and to house their
commissary while they were at work with ax, maul and
wedge. During their stay the river began to rise and
it crept upon them so silently that their passage to
safety was cut off before they saw their danger, and they
were marooned on an island, helpless. On Friday their
provisions could be stretched no further. They subsisted
on hackberry b^lls from then on, meantime attempting
to solve a way out of their predicament. Hunger was
fast making inroads upon their strength, and their
case began to appear little short of desperate. Before
they had hit upon any practicable mode of escape, help
from outside came to them, making their deliverance
possible. One Mr. Crandall, for whom Crandall, Texas
was named, knew that the boys were in the bottoms,
and he set about to make a craft that might be used
in taking them off. To his dismay, when he launched
the unsightly craft, it sank, and he found he must re-
sort to another method. This proved to be a mule.



upon which he mounted his son-in-law, Dr. Hubbard,
and this was the vehicle of transportation that made the
rescue of the marooned Spellman boys. By that time,
Sunday afternoon, the lads were well nigh disheartened,
and inexpressibly hungry as well. Arrived at the home
of Mr. Crandall, the family ministered to their bodily
comfort with warm clothing and a hearty meal, and
Mr. Spellman recalls today the anxiety with which he
looked forward to that repast. The delay occasioned in
its serving by the offering up of thanks of the kindly
old gentleman for the safety of the boys was scarce
bearable, but when they sat down to a bountiful repast
and must again refrain from indulgence while their
host returned thanks, his anguish, mental and physical,
was most acute. He remembers today with some pride
that he restrained himself untU the conventions had
been complied with, and he also remembers vividly the
joys of that wonderful supper that terminated his four



Online LibraryFrancis White JohnsonA history of Texas and Texans (Volume 4) → online text (page 112 of 177)