Francis White Johnson.

A history of Texas and Texans (Volume 4) online

. (page 116 of 177)
Online LibraryFrancis White JohnsonA history of Texas and Texans (Volume 4) → online text (page 116 of 177)
Font size
QR-code for this ebook


eral practice. His progress here as in Edgewood has
been excellent, and Dr. Eussell is known for the lead-
ing physician of the town today. He is a member of



TEXAS AND TEXANS



1951



the Wichita County Meaical Society, the State Med-
ical Society and the Panhandle District Medical So-
ciety, and he is now serving as city health physician
of Petrolia, his record for service in that office being an
excellent one thus far.

Dr. Russell is a Democrat, but not active in politics,
and he is a member of the Methodist church of Pe-
trolia. His fraternal affiliations are with the Masonic
order and the Woodmen of the World.

In 1899 Dr. Russell was married in Canton, Texas,
to Jessie Matthews, the daughter of Dr. and Mrs. J. L.
Matthews, of Canton. Mrs. Russell died in 1911, at
the age of thirty-four years, leaving three children —
Cleo, Marie and Lorenz.

John E. Hooper. A residence covering a period of
thirty-three years, during which time he has been iden-
tified with the material growth and prosperity of Colo-
rado, has given John E. Hooper, cashier of the City
National Bank, marked prestige among the citizens of
this thriving Texas community. His activities have
contributed in no small manner to the prominence of
the city as the commercial and financial center of
Mitchell county, and he has also impressed his influ-
ence upon the jjublic and social life of the city, where,
with other earnest and zealous men, he has striven for
the advance of education, civic betterment and good
citizenship. Mr. Hooper was born at Rome, Georgia,
May 28, 1857, and is a son* of Benjamin F. and Amelia
A. Hooper.

The Hooper family has furnished to this country dis-
tinguished citizens in ever}- walk of life. A direct
ancestor of the subject of this review, William Hooper,
was one of the signers of the Declaration of Independ-
ence. The family at one time owned large plantations
in the South and many slaves, but, like many others,
went down with the Lost Cause, and during the Recon-
struction period its members sought new homes in
various sections of the country. Benjamin F. Hooper,
father of John E. Hooper, owned large estates in
Florida and Georgia, which he operated with slave
labor. At the outbreak of hostilities between the
South and the North, he cast his fortunes with the
Confederacy, and because of his prominence in his
community was chosen a member of the board of ex-
aminers for flie Southern army, as in regard to physical
abilitv. Well known in religious circles, for fifteen
years' he was clerk of the Bush Arbor Baptist church,
and was ever active in its work. In his death, which
occurred in 1871, his community lost one of its most
valued and valuable citizens. His wife died in 1863.

The fourth in order of birth of the eight children of
his parents, John E. Hooper completed his educational
training at Hearne Academy, Cave Spring, Floyd
county, Georgia, and at the age of eighteen years
turned his face toward Texas. He first settled on a
ranch in Brown county, now Mills county, and con-
tinued to be engaged "in cattle raising and shipping
stock until 1881, in which year he came to Colorado.
He entered commercial life as a clerk in a grocery store
and was subsequently promoted to bookkeeper, a posi-
tion which he was filling at the time of his election,
in November, 1884, to the office of county and district
clerk, a capacity in which he continued fourteen con-
secutive years. In 1898 he received the nomination
and was subsequently elected county judge of Mitchell
county, and gave his attention to the duties of that
office for one two-year term. Mr. Hooper's entry into
financial life occurred in 1900, when he became one of
the organizers of the City National Bank of Colorado,
and since that time has continued to act in the capac-
ity of cashier of that institution. He is widely known
in banking circles, and the high reputation which he
bears in his community has served in no small degree
to popularize the coffers of the bank which he repre-
sents. Fraternally Mr. Hooper is associated with the



Masonic order, being high priest of his Chapter and
thrice illustrious master of his Council. Always a stal-
wart Democrat, he has worked untiringly in behalf of
his party. During the past fifteen years he has been a
deacon of the Baptist church.

Mr. Hooper was married November 16, 1887, to Miss
Louella White, of Dallas, Texas, daughter of G. W.
White, who was for some years a merchant of Marlin,
Texas, but is now living retired in Dallas. One child
has been born to Mr. and Mrs. Hooper, Elsie May,
aged twenty-two years, who makes her home with her
parents.

Edwin P. Walsh. The present county clerk of
Wichita county, having held that office since "the election
of November, 1912, Mr. Walsh is an old resident of this
section of Texas, and for more than twenty years has
lived in Wichita Falls, where he was well known in busi-
ness circles until he took his present office of county
clerk. -^

Edwin P. Walsh was born at Fulton, Mississippi, Feb-
ruary 18, 1861, the only child of James F. and Almira
(Rogers) Walsh, the father a native of Tennessee and
the mother of Mississippi. The father was a young man
when he came to Mississippi, locating at Fulton, where
he was engaged in merchandising. During the war he
enlisted in the Thirty-fifth Mississippi Regiment of In-
fantry, reached the rank of lieutenant of his company,
was wounded in battle, and also spent some time in a
Federal prison after the battle of Nashville. Following
the war he returned to Mississippi, again took up busi-
ness, and subsequently moved to Louisville, Kentucky,
where he was in business the latter years of his life.
His death occurred in 189.5 at the age of sixty-seven.
The mother, who was educated and married in Missis-
sippi, died in that state in 1864.

Edwin P. Walsh obtained his early education in the
schools of Kentucky, and also attended college in Louis-
ville. On leaving school he sought Texas as the field
of his careei*, and in Johnson county was engaged in the
cattle business until 1890. In that year he moved to
Wichita Falls, and for twelve years was actively asso-
ciated with business in this city. In November, l'912, he
was the choice of the citizens of Wichita county for the
office of county clerk. For one term he served in the
city council. Mr. Walsh is an active factor in local
Democratic circles. His fraternal relations are with the
Jlasonie Order, in which be has taken the York Rite
degrees, including the Knight Templar degrees, and is
also a member of the Shrine. He is affiliated with the
Independent Order of Odd Fellows and the Benevolent
and Protective Order of Elks. His church is the Pres-
byterian.

On March 16, 1897, Mr. Walsh married Miss Cora Rus-
sell at Wichita Falls. Her father was the late M. P.
Russell, who came to Texas in 1890, and both he and
his wife are now deceased. The one child born to Mr.
and Mrs. Walsh is Miss Annette Walsh, born at Wichita
Falls, December 17, 1S97, and now attending an academic
school. Mr. Walsh has created his success entirely from
his own hard work and application, and is now one" of the
most influential citizens of a city which he and many
others consider a coming metropolis of Texas, having
the best future of any town in the entire state.

Louis C. Hinckley. To those equipped by nature for
the profession of civil engineering, this vocation undoubt-
edly offers a great future. It demands, however, per-
haps a more thorough technical knowledge of more sub-
jects than almost any other business in which a man can
engage, but its renards are commensurate with its diffi-
culties, and upon the pages of history the names of
civil engineers who have seemingly accomplished the im-
possible appear with other benefactors of mankind.
The great Southwest, and especially portions of Texas,
without these able, trained, accurate, and daring men.



1952



TEXAS AND TEXANS



would today have been soiimolent, instead of offering
homes and untold riehes to the world. In the connection
of ciril engineering, Wiehita Falls is especially fortu-
nate in the possession of such an able and conscientous
official as Louis C. Hinckley, city engineer, to whose ac-
tivities and faithful service may be accredited much of
the remarkable growth and development of this com-
munity during the past several years. Mr. Hinckley is
a native of Fitchville, Ohio, and was born August 24,
1872, a son of E. P. and Mary E. (Eoe) Hinckley, who
were also born at that place. The father was born in
18-15 and the mother in 1847 and were married in 1871,
and have led agricultural lives, now being residents of
North Fairfield, Ohio. They have had four children —
Louis C, William and Charles, who are engaged in farm-
ing in Ohio, and Martha, also a resident of the Buckeye
state.

After attending the public schools of his native county,
Louis C. Hinckley entered the University of Ohio, where
he took a civil engineering course and graduated in
1892. He at once entered upon the practice of his pro-
fession in Ohio, but in 1894 migrated to Texas, and was
engaged in general civil engineering work in Wichita
Falls and the surrounding country. In 1902 he took
charge of an irrigation ]il:iiit. the mierations of which
he directed until ]'."'^. iiihI hi tli.' -iiring of 1909 was
elected city engiinn ut \\irliit:i lull-, an office to which
he has given his :itti>iiTiiiii ever since. He has had
charge of all pulilic works, including the building of
twenty miles of sewers and the laying of 33,000 square
yards of street paving, and in addition to his general
city work has been in the en.ioyment of a large private
business. His skill in handling projects of a large na-
ture has made him one of the best known civil engineers
in this part of the state, while in his official capacity he
has proved painstaking and conscientious. His activi-
ties have carried him to various sections of the South-
west, and in each community in which he has found him-
self has made numerous friends. With a fii;m belief in
the future of this part of the country he neglects no op-
portunity to sing its praises and advance its interests.

On August 26, 1896, Mr. Hinckley was married in
Archer county, Texas, to Miss Mary Krebs, daughter of
John and Louisa Krebs, both still residents of Archer
county, where they were pioneers. Four children have
been born to Mr. and Mrs. Hinckley: Elvira Louise,
born in 1897. in Wichita countv, Texas, who will gradu-
ate from the Wichita Falls High School in 1914; Delia,
born in 1899, in this county, now attending the high
school; Emmett, born at Wichita Falls, December 26,
1902, and now attending the graded schools, and Mary
Elizabeth, born in February, 1907, at Wichita Falls.
Mr. and Mrs. Hinckley are members of the Methodist
Episcopal Church, South. He is a Democrat in his po-
litical belief and is fraternally connected with the Mod-
ern Woodmen of America and the JIasons, in the latter
of which he has attained to the Commandery and is
now Worthy Patron of the Eastern Star.

Dr. Wm. B. Crudgington. Though Dr. Crudgington
has been but a brief period of time in Denison. having
settled here early in 1913, he has already made some
progress in his profession in this locality, and the prom-
ise of a successful career in his profession here, should
he elect to remain, is a very bright one.

Dr. William B. Crudgington was born on September
4, 1866. near Knoxville, Tennessee, and is a son of Elijah
and Caroline (Fender) Crudgington, the latter a sister
nf Captain Fender of Fort Worth, Texas. Elijah Crud-
gington was a farmer and stock raiser, and he came to
Rockwell county, this state, in 1870, here continuing suc-
cessfully in stock farming. He had served in the Fnion
Army as a lieutenant in Company F, Thirty-Second
Regiment of East Tennessee, and had a hard experience
in the service. He was taken prisoner by Colonel Neal
of the Confederate forces and held in prisons at Knox-



ville, Castle Thunder, Richmond and Salisbury, his pe-
riod of confinement in those several prisons aggregating
nineteen months. He suffered all the horrors of prison
life, and when he came forth into the world again he
was broken in health, and almost an invalid to the end
of his days. He died at his home, in Breckenridge, Ste-
phens county, on November 15, 1902, having gone to that
place from Rockwell county in 1878. The mother died in
1903.

Nine children were born to these parents, and of the
five sons and four daughters Dr. Crudgington was tlje
sixth in order of birth. He had his early education in
the schools of Breckenridge, Texas, and when he had fin-
ished the high school there he entered the medical de-
partment of the University at Louisville, Kentucky. In
1897 he was graduated from the Fort Worth University
with the degree of M. D., and soon thereafter he engaged
in practice in Archer City, in Archer county, Texas.
He continued there for ten years, and in 1901 he estab-
lished himself in practice in Gainesville, Texas, coming to
Denison in March, 1913.

In the years of his practice Dr. Crudgington has en-
joyed a favorable following, and has gained a reputation
for skill in his chosen profession that is highly creditable
to him. He has specialized the study of diseases of the
nerves, and has taken post-graduate courses in the Chi-
cago Post-Graduate College, at Chicago.

Dr. Crudgington has been a Democrat since he ar-
rived at the dignity of his legal majority and has taken
a fairly active part in politics in whatever community
he has found himself located. He was county health
physician for Archer county during a number of years
while located there. Fraternally the doctor has mem-
bership in the Knights of Pythias, the Odd Fellows, the
Modern Woodmen of America, and the Royal Neigh-
bors of America. He is a member of the United Presby-
terian church, which denomination is generally regarded
as being the acme of Presbyterianism.

Dr. Crudgington was married on December 18, 1892, at
Archer City, Texas, to Miss Mary N. Youngblood, a
daughter of Dr. J. M. Youngblood of Missouri. Both
Dr. and Mrs. Youngblood are now deceased. To the
Doctor and his wife seven children have been born, brief
mention of whom are here made as follows : Leonard
C, aged twenty years, is a marble-cutter at Gavensville,
Texas. Mary "C.j eighteen years old, is devoting herself
especially to the study of music, in which she is unusu-
ally talented. Herbert, aged seventeen, is a student, as
are also Edward Kenneth, Charles, Marie V., and
Robert.

Varied strains of blood have entered into the make-up
of Dr. Crudgington, his father being of English ancestry,
and his mother a woman of German and Scotch parent-
age. Three brothers of Dr. Crudgington live in Texas.
John R. is a stock farmer of Breckenridge. as is also
James N.. and Jonathan Wilford is an attorney of some
prominence at Amarilla, Texas. He was county judge
of Stephens county for some years, and is now chairman
of the Prohibition Campaign Committee of the county.
Another brother, George Elbert, was a railroad con-
tractor, and died on February 21, 1900, at Fort Sill,
Oklahoma.

Robert White Knox, M. D. Both professional suc-
cess and influential activity as a citizen have marked
the career of Dr. Knox in" Houston and south Texas,
where he has been a resident and physician and sur-
geon for thirty years. Few physicians in this part of
the state have accomplished more or gained higher
recognition in the profession than Dr. Knox. Dr. Knox
at the present time is chief surgeon for the Atlantic
Division for the Southern Pacific Railroad, a position
which he has held for more than ten years. An
achievement which was brought to successful issue dur-
ing his service as chief surgeon, and to the success of
w-hich he gave an important impetus, was the estab-



TEXAS AND TEXANS



1953



lishmont at Houston of the Southcru Pacific Hospital,
one of the finest institutions of the kind along the
entire Southern Pacific System, and an institution of
which the city of Houston as a community is intensely
proud.

Dr. Eobert White Knox was born at Danville, Ken-
tucky, November 21, 1859. On both sides he is de-
scended from sterling old Scotch ancestry, the ances-
tries who founded the family in America having come
from Scotland to Philadelphia about 1732. In later
generations representatives of the name were soldiers
in the Revolutionary war, and in every generation and
in almost every phase of American national history
the family has contributed worthy men and women to
meet and perform the burdens and responsibilities of
their dav and generation. The parents of Dr. Knox
were David A. and Martha H. (Maxwell) Knox, the
father having been a stock raiser in Kentuckj'.

Dr. Knox attained his higher education at Center
College, Kentucky, where he was graduated in 1880
with the degree of A. B. and from the same institution
attained the degree of Master of Arts in 188.3. lu the
meantime he had entered the University of Virginia
to pursue his medical studies and was graduated in
1882 with the degree of M. D. Subsequently, in order
to prepare himself thoroughly for his cIiohcii woik, lie
entered the New York Post-Graduate Mcdirnl ('iillct;i',
and gained an enlarged knowledge and skill by iliiii( iil
observation and experience. Aftci- lc'a\ iiiy scImmiI lir
became an interne at the Kentucky liilirnimy fur
Women and Children of Louisvijii'. wlicrr lir rriiiaiiicd
for about one year. Coming to Texas, wliirli ivas the
field for his professional activities in 18S:i, Dr. Knox
located at Richmond, where he established his office and
where he remained for two years. In 1885 he came to
Houston where he was engaged in a large practice as
a general physician and surgeon until .January 1, 1902.
At that date he entered upon his duties as chief sur-
geon of the Atlantic Division for the Southern Pacific
Railwav Company. The Southern Pacific Hospital was
built by the railroad at a cost of $200,000, and the
splendid building and ground were opened for use on
.lune 22, 1911.

Dr. Knox is thoroughly representative of the mod-
ern profession of medicine, and is a man of varied and
broad interests, in his own profession and in the larger
fields of social and civic life. He is at the present
time vice president of the Texas State Medical Asso-
ciation, was formerly president of the South Texas
Medical Association, and a former president of the
Houston Medical Club, and a member of the Southern
Medical Association. He is connected with various
business interests in his home city. His interests aside
from Iiis profession attract him most into the life of
the outdoors, and there is no better exemplar nor
advocate of outdoor living than Dr. Knox. He has
membership in the Houston Club, The Houston Country
Club, The San Antonio Club, The Galveston Country Club
and is a lifelong member of The Houston Turn Yerein,
and takes a very active part in the activities of these
various organizations which represent the choicest feat-
ures of social life in his home city and other Texas
centers. He has attained thirty-two degrees in the
Scottish-Rite Masonry, has taken the degrees of Boyal
Arch and Knights Templar and is a Shriner.

Dr. Knox on November 11, 1892, married Miss Pearl
H. Wallis, a daughter of Joseph E. and Sarah Wallis
of Galveston. Her father was one of the prominent
merchants of that city, and a veteran of the Confed-
erate army, and saw much hard service in the war be-
tween the states. Mrs. Knox is a member of the Colo-
nial Dames. Their three children are named Byrd
Wallis, Landis Maxwell and Robert Wallis Knox. Their
attractive home is at 2204 Louisiana Street in Houston.



Thom.\s H. Stoxe. a prominent Houston attorney
with offices in the First National Bank Buihling, Mr.
Stone has been engaged in practice in this city since
1896. Mr. Stone served as city attorney of Houston from
1892 to January 1, 1906, and during that time and in
his official capacity drew up and wrote the commission
charter of Houston. He was one of the strongest advo-
cates of the adoption of commission form of govern-
ment in Houston, and led the fight with the aid of
his associates which brought about the passage and
approval of the commission charter in the state legis-
lature and its subsequent adoption by the voters of
Houston.

Thomas H. Stone was born in Jasper, Jasper county,
Texas, December 5. 1871, a son of Dr. Thomas M- and
Emily F. (Kyle) Stone. The father, a native of South
Carolina, during the war lietween the states served as
a private in Longstreet 's Division of the Confederate
army. He had gone into the army when sixteen years
of age, enlisting in South Carolina, and served as a
valiant soldier through the struggle up to the Battle of
the Wilderness in which engagement he lost his right
arm. After the war in 1866 he came out to Texas, lo-
cating at Jasper, and was there engaged in the prac-
tice of medicine up to his death on January 18, 1892.
Dr. Stone married into one of the old and prominent
families of southeast Texas. His wife, who died in Sep-
tember, 1SS6, was born in Texas, and was a daughter of
Wcslry Ilarrisdii Kyle, »hn was born in Kentucky,
in.iM'il t(. I'lnii,l,-i. will T.' lir [larticipatod as a soldier in
tlir s.miiiiidIc In.lian iva i' :.( |s:{6 and in 1848 moved out
tn 'i'l'.Niis. Idcatiiii^ ill .lasjicr county, where he died in
1897.

Thomas H. Stone obtained his education in the pub-
lic schools of Jasper and at the Southeast Texas Col-
lege, finishing in the Academic Department of the Uni-
versity of Texas. He prepared for the law in the law
department of the University of Texas, and was gradu-
ated LL. B. in the class of 1896. In the same year he
was admitted to the bar, and at once opened his office
and began practice in Houston, where he has enjoyed
a liberal share of the legal business. He is a mem-
ber of the Houston Bar Association and of the Texas
I'.ar Ass.M-iation. Mr. Stone is a member and director
,.i tlu' IJMii-tdn Chamber of Commerce, member and di-
r.Tt.ii of the No-Tsu-Oh Carnival Association; was
l.icM.k'iii of the Houston Club until January 1, 1913;
iiiciiii.er of the Houston Countiv I'liili, the Thalian Club,
and the Iloii.ston Turnverein. KKiteriiall\ lie is affiliated
with Holland Lodge No. 1, A. F. iV A. M.. and has com-
pleted eighteen degrees in the Scottish liite Masonry,
and is a member of the Rose Croix Chapter. His other
affiliations are with the Benevolent and Protective Order
of Elks at Houston.

On Feliniarv i;.",. 1898, Mr. Stone married Miss Flor-
ence Feid, d'aiiiiliter of Hon. Thomas W. Ford of
Houston. Their fmir ehildren are named Thomas Ford,
Florence, Marshall llanipton, and Margaret Stone. The
family home is at 2 Bea.nntield Ajiartments in Houston.

D.WID Dalt. Manaeei nf the llmiston Electric Com-
pany and the Galvestdnlinnstcii Flectric RaJlway Com-
pany, and the local head of the Houston Electric Trans-
portation interests, David Daly has occupied this im-
portant position in the city since 1905.

He was born in Boston, Massachusetts, October 16,
1878, being a son of Timothy ana Catherine (Hagerty)
Daly. Mr. Daly was educated at the Boston Public
Latin School and at Harvard University, where he was
graduated with the degree of A. B. in the class of 1901.
[n the December following his graduation he became
connected with the firm of Stone & Webster, in their
Boston office. In January, 1903, he was sent out by
Stone & Webster to Ponce' in Porto Rico, as manager of
the Ponce Railway & Lighting Company. He remained
there until May, 1905, and in July, 1905, came to Hous-



1954



TEXAS AND TEXANS



ton as manager of the Houston Electric Company. The
residents of Houston who are familiar with the im-
portant changes in the local transportation service will
recall that the street car service has been practically
made over since Mr. Daly came to take charge of the
local sy-stem, and at the present time there is no city
in Texas or the south, for that matter, possessing
better equipment and more efficient operation than the
Houston Electric Co. In AprU, 1918, was announced
the appointment of Mr. Daly as manager of the Galves-
ton-Houston Electric Eailway Company. Mr. Daly is
a director of the Lumberman 's National Bank, vice
president of the Suburban Realty Company of Houston,
and has been director, managing director, vice president
and president of the No-Tsu-Oh Association. He is one
of the prominent members of the Houston Club and
other social organizations, including the Hotary Club,



Online LibraryFrancis White JohnsonA history of Texas and Texans (Volume 4) → online text (page 116 of 177)