Francis White Johnson.

A history of Texas and Texans (Volume 4) online

. (page 117 of 177)
Online LibraryFrancis White JohnsonA history of Texas and Texans (Volume 4) → online text (page 117 of 177)
Font size
QR-code for this ebook


the Y. M. C. A., the Knights of Columbus, the Benev-
olent and Protective Order of Elks, the Thalian Club, the
Houston Country Club, and the Houston Turnverein,
M>. Daly was married January ]2, 1910, to Miss Ger-
trude Hyde Paine, a daughter of Eobert E. Paine of
Houston. They are the parents of one daughter, Ger-
trude Paine Daly. The home of Mr. Daly and family
is at 1505 McKinney Avenue in Houston.

Milton Link Morris. Beginning at the early age of
twelve years in his connection with the International &
Great Northern EaUroad, Milton Link Morris, now
District Passenger Agent for that road, has experienced
practically every variety of service peculiar to the cler-
ical and executive departments up to and including his
present responsible position. Twenty-seven years of
service with one concern, and that covering the entire
business career of the num, is a record that few men may
point to, but that is the distinction claimed by Ml'.
Morris, and it is one that places him in a class by him-
self. He has advanced step by step from the post of
office boy to stenographer, clerk and ticket stock clerk,
each in their turn; then special advertising clerk, assist-
ant ticket agent, special passenger agent and relief
agent, and in 1901 got into line for his present post.
His rise has been consistent, justifiable and steady,
and is a source of much gratification to those who have
witnessed his upward climb.

Born at Palestine, Texas, in 1S76, Milton Link Morris
is the son of William and Nannie (Latimer) Morris.
The father was born in Viroiniii .iml .nine to Texas



•re he mar-
-s, in which
1882. The
one of the
Kentucky



when the reorganization of the road was effected. Mr.
Morris was one of the incorporators of the new com-
pany and a director of the same, which is his status with
the International at this time. His advance has been
due entirely to his ability, ambition and concentration
on the duties of the position in which he found himself,
and each promotion came as a distinct reward for effi-
cient and praiseworthy service.

Mr. Morris is a member of the First Presbyterian
church of Houston, and his fraternal affiliations are
with the Masons, in which he has attained the Master
Mason degree, and with the Benevolent and Protective
Order of Elks. He is also a member of the Houston
Press Club, the Houston Athletic Club, the Houston
Adcraft Club, the Houston Lumbermen's Club, the
Houston Musical Club, and the Houston Turnverein Club.

On January 28, 1902, Mr. Morris was married to Miss
Ruby Anderson, the daughter of A. A. Anderson, of
Palestine, Texas, and they reside at 1509 Capital
Avenue, Houston.

W. T. Melton. The life of the late W. T. Melton of
Brady was noteworthy, both in character and in accom-
plishment. It began with his service to the Confederacy
and closed after forty years of business and civic activ-
ities in this state, to which he always manifested the
finest loyalty and affection. As editor, publisher, busi-
ness man and legislator, he displayed a high order of
ability, and in his death McCulloch county lost one who
had at all times demonstrated the highest ideals of citi-



about 1852, settling then in i'rilc^t inc.
ried and engaged in the mer<-.in; il.' Im-

he continued until death claii 1 liim

mother was a daughter of D. A. Latii
first settlers of Palestine, coming here
with his family and making the trip overland, in the
accepted and usual mode common to the period. They
brought with them the first cook stove shown in Ander-
son county, Texas, and were conspicuous from that fact,
if for no other reason. He was a man who was promi-
nent for years in the affairs of Anderson county, and
was the first sheriff the county ever boasted.

Milton Morris received little enough in the way of
schooling, for he was but twelve years old, as already
stated, when he entered the employ of the International
and Great Northern Railroad in the capacity of office
boy. The death of his father some few years previous
made necessary this early independence of the lad, but
his rise in his work has not been appreciably hampered
by his lack in educational training. His advance from
one post to another has already been cited, but it
remains to add here that in 1901 he was made travel-
ing passenger agent with headquarters at San Antonio,
and in 1906 he became city passenger and ticket agent
at Houston, in charge of the city and depot offices, a
position he continued to hold until 1911. when he was
made District Passenger and Ticket Agent. The crown-
ing honor of his career to date came in September, 1911,



The first of seven children, Mr. Melton was born July
11, 1843, in Alabama, and was a son of David C. Melton,
also of that state. The latter, a miller by trade, was an
early settler in Denton county, Texas, where for some
years he was engaged in agricultural pursuits. Subse-
quently he removed to San Saba, where he continued
for a long period in the milling business, but finally re-
moved to Paint Bock, Concho county, where his death
occurred about the year 1885.

W. T. Melton received his education in the public
schools of his native state. When a youth he was ap-
prenticed to the trade of printer. On completing his
apprenticeship he worked at his trade in Louina and
Wedowee, Alabama, and when but eighteen years of age
enlisted in the Confederate army for service in the Civil
war, which had just broken out. He served through the
war in General " Lee 's army, participating in numerous
important and hardrfought engagements and at all
times proving himself a brave, valiant and faithful sol-
dier. How largely the great Civil war developed the
youth of the country can never be adequately known, but
there are those living and those deceased who entered
upon the hardships incident to a soldier 's life when but
lads and so bravely and courageously faced every vicis-
situde and uncomplainingly bore suffering and hardship
that their valor should be remembered when this united
countrv counts over its heroes. The great struggle be-
tween 'the north and the south, with the important issues
it represented, surely produced a class of trained, dis-
ciplined men, whose influence has ever since been recog-
nized in the peaceful pursuits which have engaged them.
It was in the conflict of arms that the temper of Mr.
Melton 's character was set and his faculties trained for
the large services of his more mature age. Like many
other Southerners, unable to bear conditions as they were
in the period of Reconstruction, he sought a new field for
his activities in the great southwest, and in 1866 settled
near Cameron, in Milam county, Texas, where he worked
at his trade for some time. Moving to Bell county, he be-
came proprietor of a newspaper at Belton, subsequently
moving to Lampasas, where he was publisher of the Lam-
pasas Dispatch, the first paper in Lampasas county.
Some time later Mr. Melton moved on to San Saba,
where he published the San Saba Netcs, but about 1890
disposed of his printing press, retired from the news-




'XM^M^



TEXAS AND TEXANS



1955



paper business, and embarked in the slieep business in
Conebo county. He was thus engaged until elected sher-
iif of Concho county, at which time he moved to Paint
Eock, the county seat, where he had his home during the
eight years of office. He made an excellent record as
sheriff, and was urged by his fellow citizens to accept
office again, but declined re-election and entered the
real estate business. In 1896 he was elected represent-
ative of his district in the State Legislature, where he
served one term, and in 1897 went to Brownwnod, where
he resumed his real estate operations, ilr. Melton came
to Brady in 1904, and here became senior niemVier of the
Melton Land and Abstract Company, with which he con-
tinued to be identified until the time of his death, which
occurred April 28, 1909.

Mr. Melton 's funeral, which was conducted by the
Eev. Bolton of the Fort Worth Methodist Church and
the Eev. Matthis of the Brady Methodist church, was a
solemnity such as well attests the value of his lifetime.
He had become widely known over the state, and the
tributes of respect were not alone from his home com-
munity. He was laid to rest in the Brady cemetery,
and tiie Masons, Odd Fellows, Knights Templar, Confed-
erate Veterans, and all the orders to which he belonged,
as well as many private citizens not related by the bonds
of fraternal union, united in a great demonstration of
brotherly love and esteem for their deceased associate
and friend.

For three years Mr. Melton was commander of the
Mountain Remnant Brigade of Southern Texas. In Ma-
sonry he had reached the Knights Templar degree. From
youth a member of the Methodist church, he served for
many years as steward and superintendent of the Sunday
school, and his work in behalf of religious and charita-
ble movements made his death a severe loss to many who
had depended upon him.

Mr. MeUnii \v:is sihrcssful in his I)nsiness affairs and
in his polilN-:il :irfivitirs. hihI \\:is tiu less successful in
gaining tlir lo\,. an.l rstci-ni of his li-lli.w men, and, al-
though he lias passed to those shores toward which all
mankind is hastening, his good deeds will be long re-
membered and his memory will remain green in the
hearts of those who learned to call him friend.

Mr. Melton was married to Miss Missouri Frances
Barron of Alabama. To their marriage were born six
children, four daughters and two sons, all of whom are
married, with the exception of one son, Thornton Lee
Melton. A brief record of the children is as follows:
Miss Cora married Jesse F. Cross of Fort Worth and
has two daughters. Mesdames Fay Looney and Chas.
Jliller of Brownwood. Miss Willie married William
Vaughn of Brady, and their two children are Barnm
Melton, aged eighteen, and Hazel, aged twelve. Miss
Lula married .Tohn Vaughn of Plainview. Texas, and
their four children — three sons and one daiiylitrr air:
Grady, Bcrtrand. ilildred and John Melton. Allss M.uni..
married Dr. T. P. Donle of Eagle Lake, TcNas. :iin| tli.^v
have no children. W. T. Melton, Jr., niarii..! M.ss
Flora Gray of San SaBa County, and they have a daugh-
ter, Frances Camille. Thornton Lee Melton, who is a
teacher of instrumental music at Brady, lives at home
with his mother.

Joseph F. Meter. One of the magnificent army of
self-made men of America is Joseph F. Meyer, president
of the Houston National Exchange Bank, promineht
in business circles in Houston and the co\inty and widely
known as a successful financier. He began in the busi-
ness world when he was sixteen years old, as the propri-
etor of an independent business, and while his earlier
operations were on a slender scale, they expanded with
the )ia.<isage of time, so that in a comparatively few
years he came to be reckoned among the more telling
and forceful business men of the city. His career is
one that may be viewed with pride by all who honor
the success of that man who fights his own way up



from obscurity into prominence, and Mr. Meyer has met
with due recognition of his prosperity and success
wherever he has gone.

Born in Germany in 1851, Joseph F. Meyer is the
son of Frank and Josephine (Meyer) Meyer. The mother
of the boy died when he was three years old, and the
father brought him to America in 1855, settling in Mem-
phis, Tennessee, moving in 1867 to Houston, Texas. In
that year Joseph Meyer was sixteen years of age, but
he did not regard his extreme youth as any great
drawback to his entering into business on his own re-
sponsibility, and he engaged in the hardware business
in the same year of Jiis arrival here. From then until
now he has been identified, more or less conspicuously,
with the financial and commercial activities of Texas.
Beginning as he did in a small way in 1867, the busi- '
ness three years later came to be known as the Joseph
F. Meyer Company, of which he was president at the
age of nineteen, and as such he has since continued.
From the infinitesimal scope of the business in its
early life, it has expanded yearly until it has now
assumed magnificent proportions, and carries on an ever
increasing trade in heavy hardware, wagon makers' sup-
plies, farm implements, railroad contractors ' supplies,
iron, steel, etc., and is one of the biggest concerns of
its liind in the city or county.

With the continued prosperity that Mr. Meyer ex-
perienced, he began in the early nineties to cast about
for other places for the investment of his capital, and
in 1892 he was one of the organizers of the Houston
National Exchange Bank, of which he was vice presi-
dent until 1912, when he became president. He has
shown himself a financier of no mean ability, as well
as a merchant in the best sense of the term, and he
enjoys the confidence of the people of Houston, who
know him for his many excellent qualities.

Mr. Meyer is an Independent Democrat in his polit-
ical faith, and while it is true that he has never sought
political office, it is also true that various offices have
sought him, and he was twice elected alderman in the
city of Houston, representing the third ward in the
city council from 1888 to 1892. He also served one year
as county commissioner of Harris county and enjoys the
distinction of having been chief of the Houston Volun-
teer Fire Department as long ago as in 1880.

Mr. Meyer is a Mason of the Eoyal Arch degree, and
is also a member of the Benevolent Protective Order of
Elks. He was married in 1884 to Miss Bebecca Baker,
the daughter of George Baker, a pioneer citizen of
Houston, where Mrs. Meyer was born and reared. Three
children have come to them — George B., Joseph F., Jr.,
and Frank K. Meyer.

DouGALD J. Price. Forty years of continuous service
with one company is a record that reflects the greatest
of credit upon any man who may make claim to such
a career, and Dougald J. Price is one who has duly quali-
fied in that respect. From messenger boy to General
Passenger agent is an ascent that few men experience
in a life time, and in the case of Mr. Price the accom-
plishment is so much the greater in consideration of the
fact that he had little or no schooling in his boyhood.
He is today one of the foremost men in business circles
of Houston.

Dougald J. Price was born in Wilmington, North
Carolina, in 1859, and is the son of William J. and
Annie E. (Westcott) Price. The father was a native of
North Carolina, and was a Naval Stores Inspector for a
number of years, later engaging in the business of build-
ing saw mills in North Carolina, a business that claimed
his attention for many years. During the Civil war he
was a participant as a member of a North Carolina
Confederate Regiment, and saw much service during
the years of hostilities. Both he and his wife are now
deceased.

The schools of Wilmington furnished the training of



1956



TEXAS AND TEXAN S



Dougald Price up to the age of twelve. AYien he was
fourteen years old he eame to Texas and entered the
employ of the I. & G. N. B. B. Company as a messenger
in the telegraph. In this department, bright mes-
sengers are given an opportunity to learn the Morse
alphabet, and young Price soon demonstrated his
power over the key, becoming in December, 1873, op-
erator at Crockett, Texas, despite his extreme youth.
He remained in the telegraph service for five years,
when he was advanced to the General Superintendent 's
oflice, then the accounting department and there spent
three years, during which tinif he became familiar with
much of the system. In 1882 he was placed in the
General Passenger Department, serving in various ca-
pacities there until 1897, when he was promoted to the
office of General Passenger Agent of the entire system,
and he has successfully carried out the duties of that
responsible position from then until the present time.

ilr. Price is prominent in fraternal and social circles
in his home city, having membership in the Benevolent
Protective Order of Elks, and in the Houston Club and
the Houston Chamber of Commerce. He was married in
1880 to Miss Mary E. Jowers, the daughter of Judge
W. G. W. Jowers, who was a pioneer of Anderson county.
Mrs. Price died in 1909, leaving tive children, as follows:
George F., Charles M., Annie il.-irie. Frank McCiillough
and Hunter Jowers Price. Mr. Priie was married a sec-
ond time in June, 1911, Miss. Nellie Hati'ord 1 eroniiug
his wife. She died in August, 1912. The residence of
the family is maintained at No. 3704 Main street, and
is one of the sightly homes of the city.

James W. H.^dlock. The present sewer commissioner
of El Paso has been for fifteen years identified by resi-
dence with his section of Texas, and has gained ma-
terial and large influence in public life. During his ad-
ministration as sewer commissioner many improvements
have been made to increase the sanitary system of
El Paso, and among these might be mentioned the con-
struction of ten miles of sewerage, the erection of a
pumping plant which is large enough to handle all the
city sewage, besides an auxiliary pumping plant for
East El Paso. The capacity of these two plants is
4,000,000 gallons per day. It is municipal improve-
ment of this kind which counts effectively in placing a
city upon a par with the best of American municipali-
ties, and it is the ambition of all friends of El Paso
and her present official administration to place this city
without any superiors among municipalities of the same
rank in population, and wealth.

James W. Hadlock, who has had a long and varied
career, including many lines of service and responsibility,
is a native of the state of New Hampshire, born at
Monroe, that state, October 9, 1842. New Hampshire
remained his home until he was aliunt thirty years of
age, at which time he moved to iHistmi, u1mii> he was for
six years engaged in the railwu.v <ii]i|-ly inid machinery
business. From there he came tn Ti-xa-^. locating at
Dallas, and while there promoted the Texas Trunk Sail-
road, building this line as far as Kaufman. Subse-
quently he spent about fifteen years in St. Louis, where
he was general western manager of the Burton Stock
Car Company. The succeeding two years were spent in the
City of Mexico, and during that time he was locomotive
engineer, running a passenger train out of the City of
ilexieo. From the capital of Mexico he eame to El
Paso in 1898, and being a man of moderate means, en-
tered actively into several enterprises which have re-
warded him with substantial prosperity during the suc-
ceeding fifteen years. For two years he was engaged
in the development of a large irrigation plant, three
miles east of the city. He then became connected with
the Government Customs service and was in the El Paso
custom house for five years. During the next year he
was engaged in the real estate business, and in 1907



was appointed sewer commissioner, the office which he
DOW holds.

Mr. Hadlock obtained his early education in the pub-
lic schools of New Hampshire, and when a very young
man began earning his own way as a news agent. This
was his occupation until he was nineteen years of age,
at which time he enlisted in the Tenth Vermont Infantry,
and gave three years of service as a Union soldier. For
two years he was on the staff of General Ricketts. At
the Battle of Spottsylvania he was standing beside Gen-
eral John G. Sedgewick when that general was killed.
During the Battle of the Wilderness he was detailed
on the staff of Generals Grant and Meade, and during
the engagement had a horse shot from under him and
himself slightly wounded, although he quickly obtained
a new mount and went on with his duties.

After his return from the war, Mr. Hadlock took up
the work of railroading, becoming a locomotive en-
gineer, and continued that employment regularly until
he eame west. At Woodsville, New Hampshire, on
April 11, 1861, Mr. Hadlock married Miss Mary Helen
Cutting, a daughter of Joseph Cutting of Haverhill.
Mrs. Hadlock was a woman of strong mentality and
many virtues of heart and mind, and her encourage-
ment and assistance were always effective forces guid-
ing and directing her husband in his business affairs,
as well as in the life of the home and society. They
enjoyed an unusual length of married companionship,
their wedded life being prolonged for more than fifty-
one years, and in April, 1911, they celebrated their
golden wedding. Mrs. Hadlock passed away on April
27, 1912, at the age of sixty-eight and her last resting
place is in one of the beautiful cemeteries of El Paso.
She was very popular in social circles, and at her
death was paid a somewhat unusual honor by being
given a semi-military funeral. She was very charitable
both in her church and among poor people of all classes
in the city. The two children born of their marriage
are as follows: Edson J., who is married and a resi-
dent of El Paso, and for the past twenty-nine years
having been locomotive engineer on the Texas & Pacific
Railroad ; Fred D., also married and residing in El Paso
is a locomotive engineer on the Southern Pacific line.
Mr. Hadlock is not affiliated with any one church but
favors and helps them all. Fraternally he is a Mason,
is a member of the Grand Army Post, of the National
Union, and an honorary member of the Brotherhood of
Locomotive Engineers. He has for some years been
one of the party fighters of the Democratic party and
takes an active interest in all matters pertaining to
government and political questions.

It is the opinion of Mr. Hadlock that whether a man
be young or old, provided he has ambition, and whether
he possesses capital or not, provided he is honest and
has energy, that such a person can come to any part
of Texas and eventually succeed. Provided he has a
little capital he will find" opportunities that will not dis-
appoint him, and that cannot be found elsewhere. This
opinion about Texas is undoubtedly the truth of Mr.
Hadlock 's own experience, since both he and his two
sons have prospered remarkably well during their resi-
dence here, and they are among the most loyal and
enthusiastic friends of El Paso and of the entire state.

Adolph Krakauer. Among the men of wealth and
prominence in the city of El Paso, Texas, Adolph Kra-
kauer occupies a position of the highest rank, playing
not only an important part in the business affairs of
the city but also in her civic affairs. Mr. Krakauer,
although foreign born, has lived in this country for
many years and is most truly an American. He is rec-
ognized as one of the most public spirited men in the
city and his progressive ideas have been influential
in questions of public interest more than once. He is of
that class of men whom one always finds in growing
cities, men of initiative and executive power, who are





^ /



TEXAS AND TEXANS



1957



not afraid to take a step iuto the future even though
the outcome be not quite certain, and who in conse-
quence are deterred to and admired by all those with
whom they are acquainted.

Adoljjh Krakauer was born in Fiirth, Bavaria, on the
■S.'.d ot May, ISiO, the son of Joel and Baliette (El-
,S;,-M.i) Kr.-,k;iuer. both of » limi, «,.|,. bm „ ■„ ii;.v;iria.



lii^ uniduatiou he first
I thr leading commer-
i- iliiis engaged from

igrated from Bavaria
cured employment



ated in the class of IS&J. A I
went to work as a clerk m nn
eial establishments of Fuitli,
1S&2 until 1865.

During the latter year he
to Aew York City, where he

as a clerk. He had very little money in his pockets
when he landed in New York, but by dint of hard
work both as clerk and bookkeeper, he succeeded in
laying by quite a bit, and when he left New York in
lb(39 he was far better able to cope with the world
than when he arrived. He came to San Antonio, Texas,
and there became bookkeeper for Louis Zork, the lead-
ing merchant in San Antonio at that time and a pioneer
ot the city, having settled there in the early forties.
Mr. Krakauer remained with him for some time and
became a valued employee and later on his son-in-law.
After a time he secured an interest in the firm and
when he came to El Paso he was well equipped both
with experience and in a pecuniary way.

It was in 1875 that he came to El Paso, and at this
time the city consisted of seveuty-five Mexicans and
twenty-five white residents. He entered the employ of
Samuel Schutz and Brother, who operated a general
merchandise store. Mr. Krakauer remained with this
firm as a clerk until 1879 when the proprietors sold out
to Ketelsen and Deletau. Under the new ownership



Online LibraryFrancis White JohnsonA history of Texas and Texans (Volume 4) → online text (page 117 of 177)