Francis White Johnson.

A history of Texas and Texans (Volume 4) online

. (page 133 of 177)
Online LibraryFrancis White JohnsonA history of Texas and Texans (Volume 4) → online text (page 133 of 177)
Font size
QR-code for this ebook


directed their energies. Eventually he acquired proprie-
torship of a flotilla of flatboats on the Ohio River, and
each year sent these boats ladened with hoop-poles,
staves, bacon, beeswax, and other common products of
the country adjacent, down the currents of the Ohio, and
into the Mississippi, as far as New Orleans, where the
flatboats were sold for the lumber contained in them,
and the proprietor and his men usually found their
way back home on foot, the entire distance of six hun-
dred miles or more. That was his steady vocation, until
the battle of San Jacinto had been fought on Texas
soil and had brought liberty to the patriot Texans, and
then his heart became set on Texas, and he sold out,
making arrangements to transfer his residence to the
new republic.

Major Flanagan went by boat as far as Shreveport,
and then to Slabtown, on the seventeenth meridian, sep-
arating Louisiana and Texas, where he established him-
self as a farmer and merchant. The following year in
1844, and on the ninth day of August, he reached
Henderson, which was then a pioneer community. While
in Kentucky, Major Flanagan served as justice of the
peace and that office gave him a fair knowledge of the
law, so that when he located in Henderson, his prac-
tice of the law went along with storekeeping and farm-
ing, and dealing in land. As a lawyer he acquired a
reputation especially as a successful defender of causes.
His investment in lands extended widely, and his hold-
ings included several thousand acres about Henderson.

During the war Major Flanagan submitted reluctantly
to the part Texas took, and the state went out of the
Union in opposition to his advice and counsel. Before
the war he had become a factor in politics, and was
elected to the lower house, and later to the Senate.
Among his varied services as a legislator, should be
mentioned the introduction and work in securing the
passage of the bill rhat yave Texas its first insane asy-
lum, and secured an a|.|iiM|iriation for the organization
and maintenance ot' that institution. He also secured
the passage of a lull .-htirtciiiig the Galveston, Houston
&: Henderson Railroad, which was never completed. As
to his early political affiliation, he possessed the old
Whig doctrine of internal improvement by the central
government, favored a national bank and a protective
tariif, and during the fifties, and in the early sixties,
stood with Sam Houston, with whom he was on inti-
mate terms of friendship in opposition to secession.
With the outbreak of the war he retired to his farm,
established a tanyard, and furnished under contract
large quantities of leather to the quartermaster 's depart-
ment of the Confederate government. When the war



2004



TEXAS AND TEXANS



ended with the result that he had forecast, he gave
every evidence nf his love for his home people, and
with his son saw that they were properly treated, and
in the neighborhood over which his influence was most
potent during the years following the war, no one
can now be found' who suft'ered as others claimed
they did suffer from the acts of the federal soldiers.
And as an evidence of the esteem for him among his
fellow citizens, and an acknowledgment of his. con-
duct and efforts in their behalf, Major Flanagan and
J. H. Parsons, a prominent lawyer, and a partisan se-
cessionist, were both elected from Eusk county, to the
reconstruction constitutional convention of 1866. The
acts of that constitutional convention were not recog-
nized by the United States Government, and the State
of Texas was accordingly placed under a provisional
governor, A. M. Pease, dominated by Cleneral Eeynolds,
and Governor Throckmorton was deposed from office.
Under that military rule another constitutional con-
vention was held in 1868, and both Major Flanagan
and his son were chosen as delegates to that convention.
At the election following the ratification of the Consti-
tution of 1868, and its acceptance by the federal gov-
ernment, E. J. Davis was elected governor, James W.
Flanagan lieutenant governor, and Webster Flanagan
was elected to the state senate. Such was Major
Flanagan's standing in his state, that the legislature of
1869 elected him and Morgan C. Hamilton to the United
States Senate, where Senator Flanagan served until
March 4, 1875, when succeeded by John Bell Maxey of
Paris. In his service in the United States Congress,
Major Flanagan was chairman of the committee on post
offices and post roads, and was always a friend to Texas
people.

Following his retirement from the United States
Senate, Major Flanagan left active politics and was not
again in political life. His personal affairs, which were
extensive, required his attention, while he yet lived, and
his death occurred in Longview. September 19, 1887. He
is buried beside his first wife in Henderson, in the
family plot which was established in 1844 when he lost
his first wife. Major Flanagan was in religion a Mis-
sionarv Baptist, and fraternally afliliated with the
Independent Order of Odd Fellows. Major James W.
Flanagan was three times married. His first wife was
Pollv Miller Moorman, a daughter of Eev. James T. L.
Moorman, a Baptist preacher in Kentucky, and a niece
of Bishop John Early of Virginia, The children of
that marriage were: Laura, who married Ben Smith and
died at Henderson; Webster; Charles, who died as a
child in Harrison county, Texas; Marian, who married
Dr. A. Gates and died in Henderson ; Frances, who is
Mrs. S. G. Swan of Henderson, and she and General
Flanagan are the two oldest residents of that city.
The second wife of Major Flanagan was Mrs. Ware.

General Webster Flanagan grew up in Henderson,
was educated there in the public schools, read law under
his father, and in 1851 at the age of nineteen was ad-
mitted to the bar under special act of the legislature
permitting Boger Q. Mills and Webster Flanagan to
practice law. His entrance into the practical work of
his profession was immediate, and was continued with-
out interruption until the beginning of the Civil war.
General Flanagan served in the Confederate army, though
he was opposed to the dissolution of the Union, and
when the final surrender occurred, he accepted its result
as a foregone conclusion, and entered into the reconstruc-
tion movement in the hope of being able to render some
aid in ameliorating the afflictions from which the former
Confederate soldiers of the state were almost inevitably
bound to suffer.

His election to the constitutional convention of 1868,
marked his active entry into politics as a Eepublican,
and the beginning of his long career in public life. In
that election he ran twenty-five votes ahead of his father,
and when a member at Austin reproved him for some



evidence of forwardness, tending to place himself ahead
of his ancestor, he replied to the criticism, with a re-
mark that he was the senior member of the delegation
from Eusk county, having polled twenty-five more votes
than his colleague, his father. The nomination which
came to him as associate of his father, gave him great
pleasure, and it is one of the rare occurrences in
political life that a family should have both father and
son participating in the same body where a constitution
for the Commonwealth was being made. His election
to the state senate enabled him to add his vote to the
majority given to his father as candidate for the United
States senatorship, and that likewise is an honor seldom
given to a legislator. The Twelfth legislature in which
he served was called the "Eeconstruction legislature,"
and he was chosen by the senate as lieutenant governor
as the successor of Don Campbell. Before his election
to the lieutenant governorship, he was chairman of the
committee on internal improvements, and it is a matter
of record that he reported from the committee more rail-
road legislation than ever came from that committee in
any other legislature before or since. After a service of
a year as presiding ofllcer of the senate he was returned
to the senate from his county in 1874, and when the
election for the constitutional convention of 1875 was
called he was elected a delegate to that body, and thus
like his father, participated in the deliberations of two
constitutional conventions of Texas. When his term ex-
pired in the senate he was not again a candidate and
retired to take up a business career. General Flanagan
became prominent in promoting the Henderson & Overton
Eailroad, in 1876 was elected president of the railroad
company, and so continued until the line was sold to the
International and Great Northern in 1882. In the latter
year came his appointment as collector of internal
revenue for the Fourth Texas district, with headquarters
at Henderson. In 1885 President Cleveland declared
him an ' ' Offensive Partisan, ' ' and retired him f rcmi
office. In the four years interim, his attention was
given to private business affairs, and soon after his
inauguration. President Harrison appointed him col-
lector of customs at El Paso, an office he held until the
second coming of Cleveland. The President seemed dis-
posed to leave the General in undisturbed possession
of his office, but the latter resigned and again resumed
private life.

In the campaign of 1896, General Flanagan was very
energetic in supporting the candidacy of William Mc-
Kinley for the presidency, and secured a delegation
of Eepublicans to the national convention at St. Louis in
perfect harmony with the McKinley aspirations. A
number of years before General Flanagan had made the
acquaintance of the great tariff legislator, had sat
in several national conventions with him, and knew
and sympathized with his political convictions and
principles perhaps as closely as any other man in the
partv. After Major McKinley 's election, it was well
understood that General Flanagan might select any
federal place in Texas, within the gift of the president.
Thus the office of internal revenue collector of the Third
District came to General Flanagan, that selection having
been made because its headquarters were at Austin,
where a resident had particular advantages for his fam-
ily, in the good public and private schools, and the
State University. General Flanagan has always been
one of the warmest friends and supporters of the State
University. When the entire state of Texas was made
into one revenue district, the General was retained as
collector, and was reappointed by President Eoosevelt,
and by President Taft, and filled the office until Septem-
ber 1," 1913, a period of almost sixteen years.

There is perhaps one exception to the statement that
General Flanagan has attended more national conven-
tions than any other man in the United States, but even
so, his experience in this respect is one of the note-
worthy facts of political history. His first service as a



TEXAS AND TEXANS



2005



Republican delegate was in tlie national convention of
186S, when General Grant was the nominee of his partj;
however, at that time the delegation from Texas was not
seated because the government had not accepted the
state constitution of 1866. In 1S72 General Flanagan
was a delegate to the convention at Philadelphia, and
supported General Grant for his second nomination. In
1880 he was one of ' ' 306 ' ' who voted thirty-six times
for the nomination of the great soldier, and an appro-
priate medal is among his heirlooms for his loyalty to
the Union commander. In this convention, General
Flanagan made his noted speech — "What are we here
for?" A speech that has been referred to by public
speakers and politicians in public assemblages ever since.
In 1SS4. General Flanagan was a friend and champion
of John Sherman for the presidency, as he was also
at the Chicago convention of 18SS, and when it was
seen that the Mansfield statesman could not be named,
he voted with the Texas delegation for General Har-
rison. In 1892 the national convention was held at
Minneapolis, and there General Flanagan aided in bring-
ing about the renomination of Harrison. In this con-
vention an element of the party manifested itself for
William McKinley, and thus indicated the rising of a
star which was to reach its zenith four years later. In
190-1 General Flanagan did his final convention work at
Chicago when he supported Theodore Roosevelt for the
presidency, and witnessed his nomination. During all
this long service of national convention work, and can-
didate-making General Flanagan was a constant attend-
ant upon state conventions and a member of the state
committee and an adviser in the conduct of national
and state campaigns.

General Flanagan is a lover of live stock, and has
owned some of the best horse blood ever introduced into
Texas. In his stable at one time was the celebrated
racer "Jack Gamble," and "Highlander," and he
brought to the state tie first cow from the Island of
Jersey, the results of which are still visible on the
dairy farms about Henderson and over East Texas.

There are many interesting phases to such a career
and character as that of General Flanagan. He is a
sportsman in the best sense of the term. His achieve-
ments in that direction began early, when as a lad of
thirteen years, and within two hundred yards of where
his Henderson residence is now located, he killed his
first deer. In passing it should be noted that that resi-
dence was built in 1848 and is still good for another
similar period of existence. The number of deer killed by
General Flanagan since his first could not easily be
reckoned. He has every year gone to the wilds of
southwest Texas on deer, wild hog, catamount and
other game hunts, and his home is filled with trophies
of the chase, including many heads and horns of the
antlers tribe. General Flanagan affiliates with the
Masonic order, and has been a member of the Oddfellows
since 18.53, Shawnee Lodge, Xo. 15, at Henderson, and
is the oldest in memliprship of the order in the state. He
belongs to Bonita Tyo.lijp. Kniyhts of Pythias, and his
membership with tln' Kin-lit^ nf Honor began in 1875.
As a church man he \\:i~ \irrn a U.-iptist since 1858.

On December 2(1, 1,^5;;, (Jt-iieral Flanagan married
Miss Lizzie Graham, a daughter of Major John E.
Graham of Nacogdoches. Her death occurred Xovember
20, 1872. Her children were: Webster, of Austin;
Charles, who died in Henderson and left a family; Dr.
Emmet of DeBerrv, Texas; ilarian, who died as Mrs.
William Elliott, and left four children; Horace B.,
who married John Ware, and resides in Longview; and
Bonnie May, who died the wife of Herbert Vinson, and
left a daughter, now Mrs. Thomas of Dallas.

In May, 1878, General Flanagan married Miss Sallie
Ware, a daughter of Dr. Levi Ware, whose widow was
the third wife of Major James W. Flanagan, as already
stated above. The Ware family came from South Caro-
lina, but Mrs. Flanagan was born in Texas. To the



second marriage of General Flanagan are the follow-
ing children: Clarence, a farmer at Flanagan in Rusk
county ; Bessie V., who died in Austin, May 3, 1908 ;
John Conklin, a farmer and ranchman of Zavalla
county, Texas; and Irma, living at home. The family
returned to the old home in 1913 and the General says
he is fixing it up for his heirs, trusting they may take
better care of it than he has and to love it as he has
always.

Alfred Wakrex. WhUe his home in San Antonio and
Texas has been of only brief duration, Alfred Warren
sustains a distinctive relationship to the metropolis of
the state as the founder and builder of what is known as
the Henry Warren Memorial Art Gallery, and through
this institution the career of both himself and his hon-
ored father becomes a subject of interest to a state and
community far removed from the original scenes of
their active careers.

Henry Warren, who was a distinguished American
artist, was born in Bath, England, in 1793, came to
America in 1806 with his brother William, lived for
many years in Philadelphia, and died at the home of his
son Alfred in Cincinnati in 1877. When a child he de-
veloped talent for drawing and painting, and, though
without formal instruction in art, he studied the designs
made by others, first using the old wood-cut illustrations
in a book on mythology. His excellence in the domain
of art extended to all its branches except sculpture. It
is said that wherever he went he carried pencil and
drawing paper, and sketched many objects which he
later painted.

Henry Warren 's first oil painting was ' ' Sir Walter
Scott 's Cottage Door, ' ' after Gainsborough, painted in
1815, and is now found in the collection contained in
the Henry Warren Memorial Art Gallery at San An-
tonio. His first regular work as an artist, and the chief
source of his livelihood, was as scene painter for the old
Chestnut Street Theater in Philadelphia. His brother
William was lessee and manager of that playhouse.
During many long tramps through the states of New-
Jersey, Pennsylvania, New York, and Ohio, Henry War-
ren made almost countless sketches and pictures of land-
scapes. Many of these were drawn in sepia or India
ink and are so perfect as to resemble steel or wood en-
gravings. Some of the most interesting of these pic-
tures are of cities such as Trenton. New Jersey, Pitts-
burgh, Glens Falls, New- York, Marietta, Ohio, portray-
ing those localities as they appeared in the early '50s,
and the pictures now have great historical value as local
material in comparison with the present appearance of
the cities. His range of work embraced many subjects
and kinds of art. He painted in oil and water colors,
made sepia, pen and ink and pencil sketches, and did a
great deal of portraiture, and the few portraits which
he sold were the only examples of his art which he did
not preserve and which are not to be found in the me-
morial gallery at San Antonio. Many of his subjects
were scriptural and others were taken from characters
and scenes in Scotch poetry, particularly Walter Scott
and Robert Burns, and from classical subjects. What
the artist himself considered his masterpiece, and one
upon which he worked for several years, is the painting
called ' ' Hymen 's Bower, ' ' an idyllic scene of great
charm and beauty. One of the interesting small pic-
tures is a drawing of the residence of Nicholas Biddle
in Philadelphia, the ancestral home of the famous Bid-
die family of that city.

Henry Warren married Elizabeth Hamilton, who was
born in" Philadelphia and died in that city in 1861. After
the death of his wife, Henry Warren retired in 1862 and
thereafter lived in Cincinnati with his son Alfred until
his death in 1877. He had sLx children, as follows:
William, Henry, Charles, Archibald, Mary Ann, and
Alfred, of whom Alfred Warren of San Antonio, now
eighty-three years of age, is the only survivor.



2006



TEXAS AND TEXANS



Alfred Warren was born in Philadelphia, Pennsyl-
vania, in 1831. For more than half a century, from
1854 to 1906, he was a bookseller and merchant in Cin-
ciimati. His bookstore was a famous place, quaint and
interesting, lined throughout with book-fiUed shelves,
and besides was a veritable curiosity shop, abounding
not only with everything in the book and stationery line,
but in art objects, curios, and the like. Wten he sold
out his store and retired in 1906, the local newspapers
called attention to the fact that the children had lost
an old friend. From its founding it was a great center
for school children, who bought their school books, tab-
Jets, slates, pencils, and other supplies, and many men
now distinguished in the professions or in business had in
their childhood patronized the Warren store, a place
which was associated with many happy memories. Dur-
ing all the years of his business career Alfred Warren
was in the same location, although it was enlarged and
improved several times. The place was originally 235
Western Row, the name of which was later changed
to Central avenue and the number changed to 219. It
was a three-story building and in later years he ex-
tended his store space and had, besides the entrance at
219 Central avenue, two other entrances around the
corner on West Sixth street, the two latter entrances
being 271 and 273.

Alfred Wlarren married Mary Jane Pinkerton, who
died February 19, 1881. Of the three surviving daugh-
ters Mrs. Elizabeth Warren Ziegler lives in Cincinnati,
while Mrs. Martha Warren Grothaus and Mrs. Alpha
Warren Hunsdon are residents of San Antonio.

When Henry Warren moved from Philadelphia to
Cincinnati he boxed all his collection of art works and
had them stored in his son 's establishment. There they
remained for a long period of years, and neither Alfred
Warren nor any of the artist's descendants had any
accurate idea of what the boxes contained. The col-
lection became the property of Alfred Warren by mat-
ter of inheritance, and when the latter moved to" Texas
after retiring from business, in Cincinnati, he had the
many boxes opened and their contents examined. Thus
it was discovered that practically the life work of Henry
Warren, excepting some of his portrait paintings and
his routine work as a scene painter, was contained in
the collection stored in those boxes. Mr. Warren called
in several competent critics to inspect the pictures, and
on the basis of their judgment as to their high indi-
vidual and average merit he determined not to sell one
specimen, and brought them all to Texas. After two
years of residence in Austin he followed his daughter
to San Antonio, and in the meantime had determined to
build a memorial to his father in the form of an art
gallery. The Henry Warren Memorial Art Gallery,
the result of that determination, was begun in 1912 and
finished in 1914. It is located on a beautiful elevation
at Alamo Heights in the north section of San Antonio,
being situated at the corner of Yerliena Eoad and Ter-
rell Eoad or Via Madre. and fronting on the last named
street. This memorial has perhaps the peculiar distinc-
tion of being the only art gallery in the world that has
ever been built for the purpose of displaying the paint-
ings and drawings of a single artist. The building is of
brick trimmed with stone, and above its main entrance
is an art memorial window with the name Warren and
the cornerstone has a bronze tablet on which is in-
scribed, "Erected to the memory of Henry Warren,
artist, by Alfred Warren."

Ulrich H. Eische. One of the most valuable officials
of the city of San Antonio is Ulrich H. Eische, alderman
from the_ Fifth ward. With fine old German stock as
his ancestry, he has in abundance those qualities which
have caused America to welcome with open arms set-
tlers from the Fatherland. Par-sighted and industrious,
careful and patient, Mr. Eische makes an ideal city
father. He is a successful business man, and, having



lived in San Antonio for many years, he has many
friends here.

Ulrich H. Eische is the son of Edward and Louise
(Griesenbeck) Eische, both of whom were born in Ger-
many. They came to America with the Prince Solms-
Braunfels colony in 1S46, locating at Xew Braunfels,
in Comal county, Texas. Later they removed to San
Antonio, and Edward Eische took an active part in the
city's affairs. He served four years as a Confederate
soldier in the Civil war, going out from New Braun-
fels, and he was also an enrolling ofticer from that place.
He was city tax collector for four years and was a well-
known Mason and a Knights Templar. He died on
the 1st of August, 1898, and his wife survived him until
the loth of May, 1904.

Ulrich H. Eische was born in New Braunfels. on the
Comal Eiver, May 30, 1858. When he was eight years
old his parents removed to San Antonio, obtaining his
first glimpse of the city which was to be his future
home, on St. Patrick's day, 1866. He grew up in this
city, attending St. Mary's College and recei^dng his
higher education from Professor C. Plagge. For forty
years Mr. Eische has lived in what was known as ' ' Irish
Flat," but which is now called the Fifth ward. He is
the head and sole owner of the Eische Bottling Works,
a prosperous enterprise which manufactures soda water
and other soft drinks. He has three brothers and four
sisters living.

On February 1, 1912, Mayor A. H. Jones appointed
Mr. Eische alderman of the Fifth ward, to fill an un-
expired term, and in 1913, so competent had he proved
and so satisfied were the people of the Fifth ward with
their representative, that they returned him to the city
council by a large majority. He is valued by his fellow
councilmen as a hard working and conscientious mem-



Online LibraryFrancis White JohnsonA history of Texas and Texans (Volume 4) → online text (page 133 of 177)