Francis White Johnson.

A history of Texas and Texans (Volume 4) online

. (page 135 of 177)
Online LibraryFrancis White JohnsonA history of Texas and Texans (Volume 4) → online text (page 135 of 177)
Font size
QR-code for this ebook


i^in R. Young, who was born in T.iiiiisi.in.i in lv|7 ;,ii,l
was brought to Texas when nine \r:ii< ,,|' .i^,, li.i^ ],:\C[
a long and successful career ;is .i plix -.iri.in .mJ n.nv
lives in Brenham. The mother, wlm^,. ni;ii.lfii iimne
was Willie Jameson, was born in Talladega county
Alabama, in 1854. There are four children and. be-
sides John R., their names are: Stella Knolle, who lives
at Seguin; Ernest, whose home is in Jaeksboro, Texas,
and Robert, who lives at Brenham, in Washington
county.

John R. Young was educated at first in the Webb
School at Belle Buckle, Tennessee, and at the Barnes
School at Montgomery, Alabama, graduating in 1899.
In 1905 he was graduated Ph. G. from the pharmacy
department of the University of Texas. That gave
him a profession which he followed as prescription
clerk at various points in Texas until 1913. In that
year Mr. Young est alili shed the Red Cross drug store
in Cameron, opening for business on the 1st of June,
and has since built up a large trade and has made his
store headquarters for the public in that town. Mr.
Young is also a stockholder in the Cameron Herald.

He is a steward in the Methodist church, and in poli-
tics is a Democrat. At Jaeksboro, Texas, on Novem-
ber 9, 1903, Mr. Young married Esther Gabbler, whose



2010



TEXAS AND TEXANS



home was originally in Kansas. They are tbe parents
of one child, Lueile.

Captain Daniel McDowell Short. The late Cap-
tain Short, whose death occurred at Center, in Shelby
county, Texas, on April S, 1902, was a distinguished
Texan, one of the strong characters of his day and
generation, and his death made a chronicle marked with
regret by people throughout the state. After leaving
his native commonwealth of Delaware, Captain Short
was a citi7en of three successive governments — the Texas
Eepublic, the Confederacy and again of the United
States, and he fought valiantly as a soldier in two wars.

Captain Daniel M. Short was born at Smyrna, Dela-
ware, December 14, 1S19. At an early age he lost his
parents, but received a liberal education, according to
the standards of his time. Coming to Texas in 1842,
he tirst located at Marshall in Harrison county, but
later went to Sabinetown in Sabine county, where he
pursued the study of the la\Y and was admitted to the
bar i-n 1845, at Milam, Sabine county. He had made the
acquaintance of and became a lifelong friend of O. M.
Eoberts, one of the great men of the state, becoming
afterward governor of Texas, and Senator of the United
States, besides being Colonel of three regiments in the
Confederate States Army. Theirs was a deep and gen-
uine friendship that lasted all their lives, more than half
a century, and was reciprocally advantageous. Cap-
tain Short became a partner in law practice with Mr.
Roberts in 1846 at Shelbyville, which was then the county
seat of Shelby county. At the breaking out of the
Mexican war he received from President Polk, through
Congressman David S. Kaufman, in whose oiEce he had
studied law at Sabinetown, a lieutenant's commission in
the United States army. He was attached to the
Twelfth United States Infantry, and served in General
Scott 's army throughout the war, being presumably in
command of his company in all the battles of the
campaign. Eeturning to Shelbyville, he resumed the
practice of law, and soon became a prominent figure in
state politics. He was a delegate to all the state and
congressional conventions in the decade preceding the
Civil war and for twenty years afterward. He had deep
convictions on political and economic questions, and
belonged to the school of the strict Constructionists of
the Federal Constitution as applied to the rights of the
States. He was an active associate with his friends,
O. M. Eoberts, James Pinckney Henderson, and other
patriots holding similar political views, in leading the
opposition in Texas to Sam Houston and his followers
on the issues of annexation of Texas and later of se-
cession. In 1859 Captain Short was elected and served
as a member of the famous eight legislature, whose
roster contained the names of some of the most dis-
tinguished men that Texas has produced, men who were
leaders in shaping the destinv of the state. It was this
body which elected Louis T. Wigfall United States
Senator over Sam Houston, a fact in which Captain
Short took much pride and was entitled to much credit.
He was also elected and served as a member of the
famous secession convention at Austin, his old law part-
ner, O. M. Eoberts, being its president. Prom Austin,
when the work of the convention was completed, he
hurried back to Shelby county, raised and became cap-
tain of the first company raised in the county. Company
E, which was assigned to duty in the Third Eegiment of
Cavalry, commanded by Colonel Greer, and in the brigade
commanded by General Hogg. This company unfurled
the first Confederate flag in east Texas, and a finer or
better equipped body of men the sun never shone on.
That flag was made by Captain Short's mother-in-law,
Mrs. Melita Ballard Eatliff, the Captain having mar-
ried her daughter, Miss Evaline Ballard. During the
remainder of the war Captain Short served with distinc-
tion in the Trans-Mississippi Department. In 1866, he
was elected a member of the Eleventh legislature, which



elected O. M. Eoberts United States Senator over John
Hancock, who had renegaded to the North during the
war. Later he again served in the legislature, in 1873.
This legislature was acclaimed "the deliverer of the
people," as indeed it was. From 1866 to 1892 Captain
Short was chairman of the Democratic Executive Com-
mittee of his district and county, and continued a lead-
ing and powerful influence in state politics until 1896.
From 1878 until 1886 he also served as inspector of
the state penitentiaries, receiving the appointment from
Governor O. M. Eoberts, for twenty years his law part-
ner. His withdrawal from active membership in the
party was the result of the Chicago platform adopted
in that year, he opposing the so-called free silver plank.
In the ensuing election he failed for the first time in a
long and strenuous political life to cast his vote for the
nominees of the Democratic party.

In 1886 Captain Short formed the law partnership of
D. M. Short & Sons, consisting of himself and two sons,
Hugh B. and Carroll B. Short. The latter son is since
deceased. Captain Short remained in the practice of
the law, in an advisory capacity, almost to the time of
his death, which occurred April 8, 1902. From Shell^y-
vUle, the old county seat of Shelby county, when he
lost by fire most of his books and papers as well as
his home, he moved, in 1876, to Center, the new seat of
justice, and made his home there during the remainder
of his life.

Throughout his career, a conspicuous figure and
a prominent participant in many stirring public dramas,
he carried no .Trnis, had no personal encounters, and
was immensely res|ioited by all the people with whom he
became intimately asso'-iated without having his veracity
impeached or his integrity questioned even by his bitter-
est enemy.

Hox. Hugh B. Short. For a period of more than
seventy years members of the Short family have been
prominent in east Texas, as soldiers, lawyers, statesmen
and as vigorous, public spirited citizens, always leaders
in their respective communities.

The Hon. Hugh B. Short, the surviving son of Captain
Daniel M. Short, and who has added to the distinction
of the family in the field of law, was born at Shelbyville,
Shelby county, Texas, April 24, 1856. His early school-
ing was received in Shelby county, and his experience
in public affairs began at an early age, when he became
a page in the house of representatives at Austin. Through
Congressman Herndon he received an appointment to
the United States Military Academy at West Point.
After passing the required examination he started for
West Point, but was compelled to return when attacked
by a " white swelling, ' ' which has caused him to be
lame ever since. Through a long invalidism he took
up the study of law, pursuing it most of the time while
in bed, and was admitted to the bar at Center in 1882.
A few years later, he became an associate of his father,
and since that time has been a very busy practitioner,
handling a large business in both civil and criminal
practiced His record places him in the front rank of
east Texas attorneys, and since he took up the practice
he has participated in at least one hundred trials of
men charged with murder, and more than five hun-
dred involving titles to land. Before beginning prac-
tice and when only twenty-one years of age, Mr. Short
was appointed clerk of the Circuit Court of Shelby
county, and subsequently was elected without opposition,
so that he served four years in that position. In 1884 he
was appointed by Governor John Ireland district attor-
ney, and filled out an unex-pired term, with great credit to
himself and much benefit to the state.

The home life of Mr. Short has been delightful and
happy. Mrs. Short, who before her marriage was Miss
Mattie Weatherred, was born in Sabine county, a daugh-
ter of the late Senator W. W. Weatherred. ' Their five
children are: Hoya B. Short, who is now a practicing




A^tk^H^'^c h^. f/ivd:



TEXAS AND TEXANS



2011



lawyer and junior partner with his father; Miss lo
Short, Miss Evaline Ballard Short, Wallace Weatherred
Short and Daniel Maurice Short.

Ernest M. Belk. The manager of the Cameron
office of the South Western Telephone & Telegraph
Company is a young man in years, but has demon-
strated exceptional capacity for handling the duties of
his technical and business office, and on the basis of
what he has already accomplished has a tine career
ahead of him.

Ernest M. Belk was born at Bartlett, in Williamson
county, Texas, June 17, 1888. His father, Lucian L.
Belk, born in Alabama in 1867, was brought to Texas
when fifteen years of age, the family settling in Wil-
liamson county, and he has followed the business of
machinist, in which he is still engaged. The maiden
name of the mother was Emma B. Burk, and she was
born at Little Rock, Arkiuisas. in 1S69. Their three chil-
dren are: Ernest, Mattie May and Bessie Lee.

Ernest M. Belk received his education in the public
schools of Bartlett, graduating from the high school
in 1906. That was followed by a business course in
a commercial college at Waco, and after finishing in
shorthand and typewriting in 1908, he became a clerk
for the South Western Telephone and Telegraph Com-
pany. From his duties as clerk, which he performed
with an efficiency and fidelity that is one of his chief
characteristics, he was promoted in 1913 to the man-
agement of the Cam«ron office, and has introduced a
great deal of system and promptness into that part
of the great business of which he has supervision.

On April 20, 1912, at Cameron, Mr. Belk married
Delia G. Aycoek, daughter of Terrell W. Aycock, of
Milam county. Mr. and Mrs. Belk are members of the
Presbyterian church. He is a Democrat, and, in addi-
tion to being a good business man, is a popular and
public spirited citizen. Outside the duties of his office
as manager of the telephone company, he is a fancier
and raiser of thoroughbred Ehode Island Red chickens,
and keeps a flock of about one hundred of those fowls.

PoRTEK Stevens. Among the public officials of Milam
county who have given evidence of their general fitness
for office within the gift of the people. Porter Stevens,
county tax collector, has rendered distinctly helpful
services. He has long been identified with public
office in ililam county and has been the incumbent of
his present office since 1910, his re-election in 1912 com-
ing as recognition and appreciation of the able manner
in which he discharged his duties during his first
term, and at all times has stood high in the confidence
and esteem of the people. Mr. Stevens is a native of
Milam county, Texas, and was born ilarch 14. 1861, a
son of Silas R. and Margaret (Zellner) Stevens.

Silas R. Stevens was born in Tennessee and came to
Texas in young manhood, settling in Milam county,
where he resided until enlisting for service during the
Civil war. His army experiences proved too much for
his resistance, and he parsed away in 1S6.5. Mrs.
Stevens was born in Milam county, Texas, and after
the death of her first husband married B. P. Hasty, a
farmer, who died in 1890, Mrs. Stevens passing away
in 1886 at the age of forty-nine years. By her first
union Mrs. Stevens was the mother of five children — •
W. Francis, Henry and Wesley A., who are deceased;
Porter and Marion S.

Porter Stevens attended the public schools of Milam
county, at Salem, until he reached the age of fifteen
years, and then began farm work, being engaged therein
until his twenty-second year. In 1884 he was elected
constable of the first precinct, at Cameron, later became
deputy sheriff of Milam county, a position which he held
for two years, then held a like position for four years,
and in 1892 went to Rockdale, where for six years he
was engaged in the livery business with a fair meas-



ure of success. Following this he was constable of
precinct No. 4 for four years, and for two years was
a member of the board of county commissioners, and
succeeding this returned to the farm, where he re-
mained until 1907. In 190S he again entered business
as the proprietor of a meat market at Rockdale, and
continued his operations until 1910, when he was
elected tax collector of Milam county, an office to
%vhich he was re-elected in 1912. Mr. Stevens' entire
public service has been characterized by strict atten-
tion to duty and a conscientious performance of the
services of his office, and the high esteem in which he
is held was evidenced in 1913 when he was elected presi-
dent of the Tax Collectors' Association of Texas, at
the convention held at Fort Worth, Mr. Stevens is a
stalwart Democrat and wields a wide influence in his
county and is a leading factor in its councils.

On December 26, 18S8, Mr. Stevens was married
to Miss Mattie P. Massy, who died Xovember IS, 1890,
the mother of one child, Milton P. Mr. Stevens was
married December 28, 1893, to Miss Lidu Pickens,
daughter of John F. Pickins, of Milam county, and
three children have been born to them— Ada C," Elinor
and Porter Z. Milton P. Stevens married Miss Abilene
Hefly, daughter of J. H. Hefly, of Milam, and is clerk
of the Santa Fe Railroad at Cameron. Ada C. Stevens
is one of the popular school teachers of Milam county.

Mr. Stevens makes a hobby of his farming. He is
widely known throughout this section and has nu-
merous friends among men in all the leading political
parties.

James W. Wooslet. The Woosley famUy has been
identified conspicuously with merchandising in Fannin
and Grayson counties for a third of a century, and the
business enterprise of its members has been a factor
in the life of Whitewright, Trenton and Leonard dur-
ing the period of greatest development in those places.
Seldom does one famUy combine in itself more emi-
nent qualities of business activity than that of Woosley.
Foremost among the figures of this commercial house
was the late James WL Woosley, whose career closed
in death at Trenton on November 4, 1908. The chief
facts in his individual life and in the record of his
antecedents and of his descendants are told in suc-
ceeding paragraphs.

James W. Woosle.y was born at Van Buren, Ar-
kansas, September 3," 18.58. His father was James B.
Woosley, who was born in 18.38 in the state of Mis-
souri. The grandfather was 5Ia.j. James Woosley, who
bore a commission from the Confederate government
as a battalion commander. James B. Woosley was a
lieutenant in his father 's command. James B. Woos-
ley during his earlier career followed farming and
stock raising, and in 1882 Ma.jor James and James
Woosley engaged in merchandising at Whitewright,
Texas, under the name James Woosley & Son, These
were respectively the grandfather and the father of
the late James W. Woosley. For more than thirty
years James B. Woosley has been one of the leading
business men and civic factors of Whitewright. He
married Elizabeth Matthews, and their children were
as follows : James W. ; Susie, who married John Lind-
say and died in Whitewright ; Gillam, whose address is
unknown ; Sarah, who married A. T, Phillips, a mem-
ber of the firm of J. B. Woosley & Phillips at White-
wright ; and Julia, who married J. J. Llewellyn and
lives in Mount Pleasant, Texas.

James W. Woosley received his education in the
public schools and suliscquently attended college at
Sulphur Springs, Texas, for two years. In 1864, when
he was six years of age, the family had come to Texas,
settling first in Cass county, where they lived about one
year, and then moved to Emory, in Raines county.
Reared on a farm, James W. Woosley engaged in that
vocation for himself after his marriage and spent ten



2012



TEXAS AND TEXANS



years as a tiller of the soil in Kaines and Hopkins
counties. In 1891 he was induced to enter mercantile
life as a clerk for his father in Whitewright. He sub-
sequently became a partner in the firm of J. B. Woos-
ley & Son. His entry into the business gave the house
new life, and its volume of trade and popularity ex-
tended beyond the commercial limits of Whitewright
and led to the establishment of the son in a busi-
ness at Leonard. In 1898 he opened a hardware and
implement house in the last named place, while main-
taining his residence at Whitewright until 1905, when
J. B. Woosley & Son sold out and the son moved to
Trenton and opened a similar business as J. W. Woos-
ley & Sou, thus making an opportunity for his own son
to engage in business. This store, chief of its kind
at Trenton, and ranking with the leading stores of
Fannin county, began business February 1, 1905, and
was driven with all the force of a veritable engine of
humanity until its machinery became clogged by dis-
ease, but work was stopped only when the fires of
energy refused longer to burn. Few men have been
endowed with the qualities possessed by the late James
W. Woosley, who was familiarly known by the name of
' ' Louis, ' ' a nickname which, given him in boyhood,
was associated with him throughout his life. He
weighed 225 pounds, was possessed of a sunny dis-
position, won the confidence and good will of all,
made friends with children and chums with his own,
and was a type of jolly good nature. His business
enterprises were successful because he was a real mer-
chant and a born business man. He had convictions,
was nevertheless inoffensive in his expressions of opin-
ion, and observed no practice of policy in local poli-
tics. He was as forcibly against a bad man as he was
for a good one who sought office, and, although a
Democrat, he did not always lend his aid to candi-
dates of that persuasion. He had no ability as a
speaker, but talked freely and with earnestness. He
was not a professor of religion, but admitted the good
influence of the church. The estate left by him was
a mouument to his achievements and told in stronger
terms than words of the genius of a man of small
capital and who for many years was a borrower.

James W. Woosley married Emma Huffman, who
was born in Hopkins county, Texas, in 1864, a daugh-
tel of David M. and Louisa (Voss) Huffman. David
M. Huffman, who was second in a family of seven
children, three boys and four girls, was born in Ala-
bama, in November, 1830, and died after a career as
a farmer and slave-holdiug planter in 1868. In his
early youth a horse had fallen on him and left him a
cripple, but in spite of this handicap he gave good
service as a Confederate soldier and was a guard at
Tyler throughout the war. Louisa Voss, who was sixth
in a family of six children, two boys and four girls,
was born in Middle Tennessee in April, 1830, and
died in 1888. Besides Mrs. James W, Woosley, the
children of David Huffman and wife were as follows:
George, who died in infancy; Mary, whose husband,
F. H. Peoples, a farmer of Point, in Raines county,
died, leaving her two children, whose names are Low
and David S. ; David Ora, who died in infancy; H. L.,
whose home is in Holdenville, Oklahoma, and whose
first wife was Martha Hargroves, and second wife was
Marietta Johnson, was the father of five children, and
the three now living are Maud, Lawrence and Lester;
and David M., Jr., who lives in Hope, Arkansas. The
children of James W. Woosley and wife were as fol-
lows: Clarence, whose individual career is sketched
in the following paragraphs; James M., who died when
about five years of age; Bettie Lou, who is the wife of
W. K. Foster, a capitalist and retired farmer and a
director of the First National Bank of Trenton; and
isessie P., who is the wife of James Butler, engaged in
farming near Krum, in Denton county.

Clarence Woosley, who is now manager of the busi-



ness of J. W. Woosley & Son at Trenton, and who is
descended through three or four generations of suc-
cessful merchants and business men, was born Decem-
ber 6, 1883, at Point in Eaines county, Texas. He
was educated at Whitewright, in Grayson College, and
grew up in the atmosphere of mercantile affairs. On
becoming of age he was made a partner in the Trenton
business, and became manager after his father's death,
and in 1911 established a branch house at Leonard,
in addition to which he exercises general supervision
over the estate. In 1913 Clarence Woosley entered
the field of banking as organizer of the Guaranty
State Bank of Trenton, an institution with a capital
of twenty-five thousand dollars, with himself as presi-
dent; Al H. Birdsong as cashier; and E. M. McCollom
and W. E. Johns as vice presidents. Fraternally Mr.
Woosley is master of Trenton Lodge of the Masonic
order, and has sat in the Grand Lodge of the state.

On May 1, 1907, Mr. Woosley married Albertine
WSlson, and they are the parents of three children:
Bettie Lou, Louis Wilson and Evelyn W. Mrs. Wool-
sey is a daughter of J. D. Wilson, a farmer and banker
of Trenton. He was born at Hickman, Tennessee, Oc-
tober 24, 1847, a son of Albert Gallatin Wilson, who
died in 1851 at the age of thirty-five years. J. D.
Wilson is a grandson of Adam Wilson and a great-
grandson of William Wilson, whose brother, James Wil-
son, was one of the signers of the Declaration of Inde-
pendence. The bodies of Adam and Albert G. Wilson
both lie in the Vernon Cemetery at Hickman, Tennes-
see. The wife of Albert G. Wilson was Miss Weems, a
lineal descendant of the ' ' Wemyss ' ' of Wemyss Castle
in Scotland. After the death of her first husband she
married Eev. W. A. Williams, who brought the family
to Texas during the fifties. The three Wilson children
were: Albertine, who died as Mrs. John Tate; James
D. and Albert, of Weatherford, Texas. The children of
the Williams marriage were: Belle, who married Sam
Eoberts; Susie, who married Eli Thomas; Robert, Bud
and William.

James D. Wilson was brought up on a Texas farm,
and acquired a liberal education. Though only fourteen
years of age when the war broke out, he served in
the Confederate Militia and in the regular military
establishment of the Southern government under Gen-
eral Gans and after the close of hostilities between
the North and South took up school teaching, also
drove oxen to .-i fr.i^litin^- wagon, crossed the plains
in 1868 with -.i li.iM i I . ,ittle for the Colorado miners,
and after liis i.inin cnuiiued in farming. His career
as a farmer h:is tnllnwcl with work as a merchant in
Trenton, and along both lines he prospered. Mr. Wil-
son subsequently became the founder of the Wilson
Planters Bank in Trenton, and is accounted one of the
ablest financiers of his section. James D. Wilson mar-
ried Elizabeth Harrison, a daughter of Andrew Har-
rison of Georgia.

C. C. Moore. The citizenship of Kaufman county has
for a long period of years been enriched by the pres-
ence of C. C. Moore and his family. Mr. Moore, who
now lives retired at the town of Kemp, bore a valiant
part in the war between the states, while his father
gave up his life during the Mexican war of the for-
. ties. Mr. Moore has lived in Kaufman county for
forty-five years, and has reared about him a sub-
stantial prosperity and has long been one of the most
influential citizens.

C. C. Moore was born in Calhoun county, Alabama,
August 30, 1844, a son of Robert and Martha (Maroney)
Moore. Both parents were born in North Carolina,
and the father was a farmer who established a home



Online LibraryFrancis White JohnsonA history of Texas and Texans (Volume 4) → online text (page 135 of 177)