Francis White Johnson.

A history of Texas and Texans (Volume 4) online

. (page 136 of 177)
Online LibraryFrancis White JohnsonA history of Texas and Texans (Volume 4) → online text (page 136 of 177)
Font size
QR-code for this ebook


in Alabama, and went out from that state as a volun-
teer in the army during the war against Mexico, was
stricken with disease and sent to a hospital in Galves-
ton, where he died either in 1847 or 1848. Surviving



TEXAS AND TEXANS



2013



him were his widow and a family of seven children, of
whom C. C. Moore was the youngest. The mother her-
self died in 1853, when the youngest son was only
nine years of age. The father was a Democrat and both
parents were Baptists.

Until he was tifteen years of age Mr. Moore remained
in Alabama and attended common schools, but in 1860
went to Pontotoc county, now Union county, Missis-
sippi, and was employed in farming activities until
about the middle period of the great war. In August,
1863, he volunteered for the service of the South in
Company C of the Second Alabama Cavalry. This regi-
ment was under the command of Brigadier General Fer-
guson, who is one of the two living Brigadier Gener-
als of the Confederate army. The commander of the
regiment was Colonel Earle, an Alabama man who en-
listed as a captain of an Alabama company during the
Mexican war, and that company had as a private Eobert
Moore, the father of C. C. Moore. Though C. C. Moore
was a resident of Mississippi during the war, when he
enlisted he went out with an Alabama company and
the regiment of which Earle was colonel. In 1864 he
was transferred to Company A of the Twelfth Missis-
sippi, under Colonel Inge, but Brigadier General Fergu-
son still commanded the brigade. At Tuscaloosa, Ala-
bama, in May, 1865, Mr. Moore was taken a prisoner,
and soon afterwards paroled. The principal engage-
ments in which he fought were many of the battles of
the Atlanta campaign and he was afterwards in Georgia
and the Carolinas at Salisbury, Colliersville, and many
minor engagements, but went through the service with-
out a wound.

When hostilities were concluded between the North
and South, he took up farming in Mississippi for about
four years, and in the fall of 1869 came to Kaufman
county, Texas. A poor man, he made the best of his
opportunities- and resources, and was engaged in farm-
ing on rented land until about 1888. In the meantime
he had done a great deal of work as a carpenter, which
was his regular trade and after 1888 for three years
did a regular business as a carpenter and builder. In
1892 Mr. Moore was elected commissioner and justice of
the peace at Kemp, and held the commissioner's office
for -six years. The office of justice of the peace is still
his, and his service has been continuous with the ex-
ception of about eighteen months during the years
1898-99. In 1910 Mr. Moore assisted his son, C. C.
Jloore, Jr., in getting established in the grocery trade
at Kemp, and gave his advice and assistance with the
enterprise for about a year and a half.

On December 3, 1867, in Union county, Mississippi,
Mr. Moore married Mary Ann Collins, who was the fifth
in a family of eight living children born to Tie and
Martha (Collins) Collins, the former a native of Vir-
ginia and the latter of North Carolina. Mrs. Moore
was born in New Albany, Mississippi, and had her edu-
cation in that locality. The ehiklren of Mr. and Mrs.
Moore are briefly mentioned as follows: J. E. Moore,
who was born in Mississippi October 11. 1868, is promi-
nent as a banker and business man, being president of
the First National Bank of Kemp, of which he was
one of the organizers; by his marriage to Miss Mollie
Eogers he is the father of five children : Forrest, Jesse
Egbert, Richard, Annie Mae and Mary Bess. Eddie,
who was the second child, died in infancy. Mae, the
third, born in Kaufman county, Texas, is the wife of
Dr. J. M. Still, whose sketch appears elsewhere in this
publication. E. C. Moore, who was born in Kaufman
county, is manager for the Walker-Smith Grocery Com-
pany at San Angelo, Texas, married Miss Minnie Nash,
daughter of a Methodist minister, and they have two
girls, Frances and Mildred. C. C. Moore, Jr., above
mentioned, was born in Kaufman county and at the
present time has charge of the grocery department of
the firm of Haynie Bros. Grocery and Dry Goods store :
he married Miss Jodie Shaw, and has two children, Joe



Crosby and Shaw. Delia, the sixth of the children, is
a native of Kaufman county, and the wife of O. 0.
French, in the insurance business at Fort Worth, and
has one daughter, Maedell. Furman, the youngest,
also born in Kaufman county, is now serving as assist-
ant postmaster at Kemp. Mr. and Mrs. Moore are both
regular members of the Methodist church, his politics
is Democratic, and his fraternal relations are with the
Masonic Order and the Knights and Ladies of Honor.

Bt. Eev. Joseph Patrick Lynch, D. D., Catholic
Bishop of the diocese of Dallas, and North Texas.
Bishop Lynch is one of the youngest Catholic Bishops in
America, and succeeded the late Bishop Dunne as head
of the diocese of Dallas because of his approved efficiency
and capability such as made him the logical choice for
the episcopal office. It was at the request and direct
efforts of the priesthood in North Texas that the ap-
pointment of Father Lynch to the vacant See of Dallas
was advised, and it was in response to this general
desire of the clergy that the church gave him the
distinction of this appointment.

Joseph Patrick Lynch was born in Berrien county,
I\Iichigan, November 16, 1872, one of the children in
the familv of John V. and Veronica J. (Betham) Lvnch.
He was graduated in 1891 from St. Charles' College, at
Ellicott City, Maryland, and in 1895 from St. Mary's
Seminary at Baltimore. His studies in theology were
continued at the Kenrick Seminary at St. Louis where
he was graduated in 1900 and was ordained to the priest-
hood on June the 9th of the same year.

He began his active career in the sacred ministry as
associate Eector of the Cathedral at Dallas, where' he
labored with zeal and success during the years of 1900
and 1902. In the following year he was appointed the
Kortnr of St. Stephen's church, Weatherford, Texas, and
(Inline lii< iii.ninbeney here he was untiring in extending
tile .■irti\ ii i,.., ,if the parish, and built a church that is a
DH.iiiiirii'jit t(, Catholicity in North Texas.

From 1900 to 1907 he held the position of Procurator
Fiscalis of the Dallas diocese. In 1909 he built St.
Eita's church, Handley.

He also founded and built St. Edward's church, school
and rectory at Dallas.

These works and others stamped him as one of the
ablest administrators and executives in the diocese. On
June 19, 1910, Bishop Dunne appointed his his A^icar Gen-
eral, and on the death of this prelate, he was appointed
the administrator of the diocese of Dallas, "Sede Va-
cante. ' ' It was through the position where he held the
pr.Tftifiil (liroftion of the fiscal and religious affairs of
thr ,li(M,'^r tliat he came by a natural progress to the
cilti.-.' nf I;l^ll,.|l. The priests of North Texas expressed
tlii'ir |iicfcioiirc and through the proper channels con-
veyed their desires to Pope Pius X who appointed him
on .Tune the 18th, 1911, as Bishop Dunne's successor.

He was consecrated in the magnificent Cathedral at
Dallas on July the 12th, 1911, by Archbishop Blenk
of New Orleans, assisted by the Bishops of Galveston
and Little Eock, in the presence of twelve other Bishops,
over a hundred priests, and a throng of people crowding
the Cathedral and overflowing into the streets. The cere-
mony was reported in the prints of the day as the most
splendid and gorgeous religious pageantry ever wit-
nessed in Texas.

The episcopal residence is at 4846 Swiss avenue, I'allas,
Texas.

John Wootek. The thirty-five years' service nf the
Wooten family in the office of county :iiid district
clerk of Chambers county is a record wh-Mi li:i^ seldom
been equalled in the annals of county ollicials in this
state, and the long continuance in this important posi-
tion has been accompanied by faithful and intelligent
service in behalf of the people. The ofTice is now ably
administered by John Wooten, a son of the original



2014



TEXAS AND TEXANS



clerk, at whose death the ailministiatioii was transferred
first to his widow, and then to the present incumbent.
The family is one of the pioneers of Chambers county.

John Wooten was born in the old county seat of
WallisvOle, October 7, 1885, a son of John E. and Lot-
tie H. (Kilgore) Wooten. His father was born in Flor-
ida and his mother in Texas. The father on coming to
Texas was engaged in farming and saw milling, and
subsequently entered upon his work as deputy county
and district clerk of Chambers county, and in 1878 was
appointed to the office as chief, and by successive re-
election filled that honored post until his death on July
16, 1903. The grandfather of John Wooten was also
named John Wooten, and he was one of the pioneer
settlers at Wallisville and an early merchant who sold
goods throughout an extensive territory surrounding
that locality. After the death of his first wife John E.
Wooten married her sister, Emma Kilgore, and she now
resides in San Antonio. By the first wife there were
two sons and five daughters, and the present Mrs.
Wooten has one child, a daughter.

Mr. John Wooten has spent practically all his life
either in Wallisville, the old county seat, or the town
of Anahuac, where the present seat of justice is lo-
cated. Until he was fourteen years of age he attended
the public schools, and his first occupation was in help-
ing his father in the performance of his oflScial duties.
For two years he was his father's deputy. On the
death of his father his step-mother was made head
of the office, and held the position nominally from 1903
to 1906, although John Wboten performed practically
all the duties. Mr. Wooten was deputy to his step-
mother during that time, and in November, 1906, was
regularly elected to the office, and has since continued
by subsequent re-election to the present time.

On October 16, 1907, Mr. Wooten married Miss
Bertha White, a daughter of James T. White III, one
of the successful live stock men of Jefferson and Cham-
bers counties.

Jacob H. Sober. During a period of twenty-eight
years the late Jacob Hardy Suber, Jr., was identified
with the farming and stock raising interests of Brazos
county, and throughout his life contributed to the de-
velopment and progress of this part of Texas. He was
a son of Jacob Hardy Suber, Sr., who accompanied
him to Texas in 1878, both having come from New-
berry District, South Carolina, where the father was
born August 13, 182.5, and the son October 21, 1853.
The elder man died January 30, 1906. and the younger
November 6 of the same year. The father of Jacob
H. Suber, Sr., was Jacob Suber, who was born Sep-
tember 11, 1793, and died April 16, 1852. He was of
German descent or extraction, and married Catherine
Souter. and both passed away in South Carolina. Their
children who grew up were: Laura, who married Mr.
Biirley; Annie, who married Mr. Folk; David F., who
died in South Carolina, and Jacob H.

Jacob Hardy Suber, Sr., acquired his education in
the country schools, and grew up a farmer, giving
his attention to agricultural pursuits throughout his
career. He was a resident of South Carolina during
the Civil War and gave service in some capacity to
the Confederate cause. He married Miss Eugenia
Gunter, who died in South Carolina, August 27, 18(i],
their children being: Lucy, who married C. P. Dickert
and resides at Tifton, Georgia; Jacob Hardy, Jr.; Lilla,
who married J. W. Hill, of Newberry, South Carolina ;
and Edwin M., who died in 1903, at Athens, Georgia.

Jacob Hardy. Jr., was brought up in the country of
Newberry District, South Carolina, where he acquired
a country school education and passed his boyhood and
youth in assisting his father in the work of the farm.
He was married there December 18, 1873, and five years
later came to Texas, the family coming by rail to Bryan
and making its permanent location near the Agricul-



tural and Mechanical College. Mr. Suber first pur-
chased a small tract, with modest improvements, and
in addition to his farm work accepted whatever hon-
orable employment presented itself, including the haul-
ing of wood and supplying the college with its annual
consumption of fuel. He cleared up many acres of the
timber land around the college, and as the years passed
acquired a large area of land in the county, becoming
one of the most extensive farmers of his section. He
was a man of affluence aud erected houses all over
his cleared land, providing labor for numerous hands
on the farm. In the cattle business he devoted his time
to growing the common beef stock and bought, sold,
fed and shipped stock to the market toward the end
of his career.

Mr. Suber always evidenced himself as a man favor-
able to education in every form. He was made a mem-
ber of the board of managers of the old Texas Wom-
en's College, now the Baptist Academy, at Bryan, and
was on the board from the inception of the school for
several years. For a short time he served as constable
of his precinct, and his public services were character-
ized by the utmost integrity and devotion to duty. In
local matters he exerted his influence in favor of good
morals in politics. He was a Prohibitionist in prac-
tice and principle and was a consistent member of the
Baptist church, while his fraternal affiliations were
with the Ancient Order of United Workmen and the
Knights of Honor.

Mr. Suber married Leila Eichards, a daughter of
Berry and Elizabeth (Kitchens) Eichards, the latter a
daughter of John Kitchens. Of the Eichards. children,
Lula married James L. Henderson, of Center Point,
Arkansas ; Leila married Mr. Suber ; and John Berry is
a resident of Newberry District, South ' Carolina. The
children born to Mr. and Mrs. Suber were: Eugene
Hardy, of Brownwood, Texas ; Elizabeth, who was edu-
cated at Bryan and at Mary Nash College at Sherman,
and is now a popular school teacher of Bryan; Leila,
who is the wife of E. B. Adams, of Oakwood, Texas;
Miss Corrie, who attended Mary Nash College, Sherman ;
Jacob H., who was killed by contact with an electric
light wire at college, December 14, 1913, and left a
widow of six months, who was formerly Miss Annie
McMillan; John Eichards, of Dallas, Texas; Miss Bertie,
who graduated from Sam Houston Normal school, class
of 1914, and is now engaged Ln teaching; and Lawrence
Sullivan, Thomas Goodwin and Milton Parker, all resid-
ing at home.

William E. Sandeks. This representative merchant
and progressive citizen of Bryan, the judicial center of
Brazos county, has been a resident of the Lone Star
State for nearly forty years. He has been engaged in
business at Bryan since 1896, and for the preceding
decade he had been a merchant at lola. Grimes county.
The three years immediately prior to this found him
as one of the successful farmers in the vicinity of
Anderson, the county seat of Grimes county, and his
entire active business career has been marked by cir-
cumspection, energy and integrity of purpose, so that
he has at all times commanded the respect and confi-
dence of his fellow men.

William Eeiiben Sanders was born in the state
of Georgia, on the 7th of March, 1850, and from the age
of five years until he had attained to years of maturity
he was a resident of Bibb county, that state, where he
was reared under the invigorating discipline of the
farm. The disrupted conditions in Georgia incidental to
the Civil war caused him to find his educational oppor-
tunities during his early youth somewhat limited, as
the schools suffered from the same conditions that
affected the state in general. In Bibb county his mar-
riage was solemnized and there he devoted his atten-
tion to agricultural pursuits until the time of his re-
moval to Texas, the while he assumed the virtual care



TEXAS AND TEXANS



of his brothers and sisters after the death of the hon-
ored parents.

In 187(5 Mr. Sanders set forth for Texas, in company
with his immediate family, and Navasota was the orig-
inal destination. His financial resources at the time were
limited, and during the first three years of his residence
in the state he farmed on rented land, in Grimes county,
as already noted. At the expiration of this period he
engaged in the general merchandise business at lola,
where he built up, by effective service and fair dealings,
a prosperous enterprise. After the lapse of ten years
he sold his business to one of his brothers and removed
to Bryan, where he became associated in the purchase
of the general merchandise business of the firm of Mer-
ritt Brothers. In the earlier years of his operations here
the business was conducted under the title of Sanders
Brothers & Company, and the enterprise is now carried
forward under the firm name of Sanders Brothers, his
brother James B. being his valued associate. Mr. Sanders
has been distinctly aggressive and enterprising in his
business activities and his success has been pronounced,
as is shown by the fact that he is a stockholder in each
of the two wholesale mercantile houses of Bryan — a
director of the Lawrence Wholesale Grocery Company,
his brother James being a member of the directorate of
the First State Bank & Trust Company of Bryan. Mr.
Sanders has shown a loyal interest in all that touches
the general wellbeing of his attractive home city, espe-
cially in popular educational facilities. He has been a
most zealous member of the local board of education, of
which he has been president since 1910. His political
allegiance is given insistently to the Democratic party,
and both he and his wife hold membership in the Bap-
tist church.

John Hilliard Sanders, father of him whose name
introduces rhis review, was a native of North Carolina
and was a lad of about eight years at the time of the
family removal to Bibb county, Georgia, his father, Wil-
liam Sanders, having there passed the remainder of his
life and having been sixty-two years of age at the time
of his death, about the year 1854. The maiden name of
the wife of William Sanders was Barnes and she was of
English lineage. Of their children Mark continued his
residence in Georgia until death, and he reared his fam-
ily in Crawford county, where he died and where a num-
ber of his descendants are still to he found; Mattie,
daughter of William Sanders, became the wife of John
Sharp and was a resident of Crawford county, Georgia,
at the time of her demise ; and James Hilliard Sanders
was the other child who attained to maturity.

James Hilliard Sanders wedded Miss Lucinda Mc-
Michael, daughter of Reuben McMiehael, a scion of
staunch Scotch stock, as was also his wife, whose maiden
name was Lawrence. James H. Sanders died in the year
1871«, and his widow passed to the life eternal in 1874.
Of their children the eldest is William Reuben, of this
sketch : Emma is the wife of William Thomas, of Nava-
sota, Texas; Ella, who became the wife of John H.
Jewett, died in Georgia; .lolm 11. is :. irsidont of lola,
this state; James B. is nssnn.ii.Ml witli liis luntlicr Wil-
liam E. in business at Bry:in, n-^ li:is nhvn.l.v I n stated

in this context; Maggie, wliu beeaiiio tlie wife of Dr.
Nowlin, died at lola, Texas; and Adial Augustus main-
tains his home at lola.

In December, 1874, was solemnized the marriage of
William R. Sanders to Miss Susie McGehee. daughter of
Dr. McGehee, of Griffinville, Georgia. Mrs. Sanders
died at lola, Texas, in 188(5, and is survived by three
children — William Olin, Waldine and Adaline, all resi-
dents of Bryan. In April, 1889, Mr. Sanders wedded
Miss Lizzie Burnett, whose father was a gallant soldier
of the Confederacy in the Civil war and who came to
Texas from Louisiana, having become a successful agri-
culturist in the Lone btar state. Mr. and Mrs. Sanders
have four children — J. E. Claire and Earl N., who are
connected with their father's mercantile business, the



former in the capacity of bookkeeper; and Lillie Fay
and Harold D., who remain at the parental home. J. E.
Claire Sanders, the eldest son, married Miss Doris Locke.

John E. Astin. This well known citizen and repre-
sentative business man of Bryan, Brazos county, is an-
other of the native sons of Texas who has accounted
well to himself and to the state in the matter of large
and worthy achievement, and he is a scion of one of the
old and honored families of the Lone Star commonwealth,
his father having been the late James H. Astin, and his
brother, Hon. J. Robert Astin, at present a member of
the state senate, being individually represented in this
history, the sketch of his career giving further data con-
cerning the family.

John Ethelbert Astin has been a resident of Bryan
during the major part of his active career and is identi-
fied with a number of the most important business en-
terprises of this attractive little city. He was one of
the organizers of the Lawrence Grocery Company, which
is here engaged in the wholesale grocery business, and
is president of this corporation at the present time, be-
sides which he is a director of the City National Bank
of Bryan and a stockholder in the Pa'rker-Astin Hard-
ware Company, which here conducts a business of both
wholesale and retail ramifications. He was reared to the
sturdy discipline of the farm and continued to be ac-
tively concerned with agricultural operations in his
native state until 1913, when he sold his landed estate,
the same being in Brazos county. He is known and hon-
ored as one of the progressive citizens and representative
business men of Brazos county and is well entitled to
recognition in this history of his native state.

Mr. Astin was born on a farm near Mumford, Robert-
son county, Texas, on the l(5th of October, 1872, and his
earlier educational advantages included those afforded
by the excellent public schools of Bryan. These were
supplemented by his attending the Hill Business Col-
lege, in the city of Dallas, and the celebrated Eastman
Business College at Poughkeopsie. New York. At the age
of twenty years he instituted his independent operations
as an agriculturist, and in this connection his energy
and progressive policies brought to him definite success,
though, as previously stated, he has maintained his home
at Bryan during the major part of his active career
and has here been closely concerned with leading busi-
ness enterprises.

Reared in the faith of the Democratic party, Mr. Astin
has been uncompromising in his allegiance to the same
and he has given active service in behalf of its cause.
His father was a distinguished representative of the
party in Texas, and was likewise a gallant soldier of
the Confederacy in the Civil war. John E. Astin himself
was a delegate to the Democratic state convention of
Texas in 1906, as was he also to that of 1910. He and
his wife are communicants of the Protestant Episcopal
church and he is afiiliated with the Bryan lodge of the
Benevolent and Protective Order of Elks.

At Brenham, Washington county, Texas, on the 9th
of April, 1907, was solemnized the marriage of Mr.
Astin to Miss Mollie White Harrison, daughter of the
late Henry K. Harrison, who was a representative of
Washington county as a soldier of the Confederacy and
who was president of the Washington County State
Bank at the time of his death, which occurred March
11, 1914. He came to Texas from Alabama and was a
sterling pioneer of the Lone Star state, his age at the
time of death having been sixty-eight years. His wife,
whose maiden name was Juliette Shepherd, preceded
him to the life beyond, her death occurring January 26,
1910. They are survived by three sons and five daugh-
ters. Mr. and Mrs. Astin are popular and representa-
tive figures in the leading social activities of their home
city.



2016



TEXAS AND TEXANS



Thos. M. Cunningham. Among the important fac-
tors in the development of Kobeits county, Texas, and
classed among its wealthy and intluential citizens, none
are deserving of more honorable mention than Thomas
M. Cunningham, president of the Bank of Miami, ilr.
Cunningham is to all purposes a Texan, for, although
not born here, he has spent almost his entire life within
the borders of the Lone Star State, has been reared and
educated here, and has been a veitness to and a partici-
pant in the wonderful growth and development which
haye marked it during the last several decades. "Mr.
Cunningham was born in North Eastern Alabama. Feb-
ruary 1], 1859, and is a son of William J. and Tilitba
(Baxter) Cunningham, natives of Eastern Tennessee
and Alabama, respectively, and both members of well-



Online LibraryFrancis White JohnsonA history of Texas and Texans (Volume 4) → online text (page 136 of 177)