Francis White Johnson.

A history of Texas and Texans (Volume 4) online

. (page 147 of 177)
Online LibraryFrancis White JohnsonA history of Texas and Texans (Volume 4) → online text (page 147 of 177)
Font size
QR-code for this ebook


vives at the age of ninety years. They were both active
members of the Baptist church for many years. Their
children were: Elizabeth, who married Rev. William
Thompson, a pioneer minister of Texas, and both being
now deceased; Thomas, who died in the Confederate
army; Silas A., father of Dr. Blasingame; Horace, who
died in Hunt county with a family, and Jess, a farmer
in Van Zandt county.

Silas Blasingame, who now resides on the farm which
he settled in 1869, near Wills Point, was born in Ten-
nessee in 1841, and was about eleven years of age when
the family moved to Van Zandt county, Texas. Soon
after reaching manhood he entered the war between the
states as a Confederate soldier, did his duty bravely
and well in the cause of the south, and then returned
home to resume his regular vocation as a farmer. He
married Martha Norman. Her father was Alexander
Norman, who married a Miss Hill, and both came to
Texas from Tennessee, and were old and honored settlers
of Van Zandt county. To the marriage of Silas A.
Blasingame and wife were born: Dr. Albert A., of
Kemp; Mrs. Sallie Dotson, of Van Zandt county; Henry,
who died in young manhood; Mrs. Josie Pamphlin of
Van Zandt county ; Finis, a farmer near Wills Point ;
George, a farmer and stockman of Van Zandt county,
and Mrs. Delia Nichols, of Van Zandt county.

Albert A. Blasingame remained with his parents until
he was eighteen years old and in the meantime acquired
a substantial common school education. For one term
he was engaged in teaching school, and then took up
the drug business in Kemp as a member of the firm of
Nunnelee & Blasingame for two years. His ambition
was directed towards a profession, and he prepared for
that vocation by study in the Memphis Hospital Medical
College, where "he was graduated M. D. in 1885. He
began practice in the country near his birthplace, sub-
sequently moved to Chisholm, where he practiced six
vears. and in 1902 removed to Kemp, where he engaged
"in the drug business and gradually abandoned his prac-
tice. Mr. Blasingame now owns most of the stock in
the Barnett Drug Company, a popular institution whose
history spans many years of this town. By close atten-
tion to business he has huilt up a large trade and is
one of the most progressive and successful merchants
in the city.

On Juno 12. 1892. Dr. Blasingame married in Kauf-
man county, Miss Amy Rice, a daughter of Captain John
Rice, a farmer and pioneer Texan, and a soldier of
the Confederacy. Captain Rice married Mrs. Lou Staf-




AIRS. MARTHA H. IXGERTON



TEXAS AND TEXANS



2047



ford, and Lad two sons and one daughter. The children
of Dr. and Mrs. Blasingame are Jerome, Leota and
Annie. Dr. Blasingame is a member of the Christian
church, and in politics follows the family principles of
the Democracy. He affiliated with the Blue Lodge of
Masonry.

William H. Ingerton. One of the oldest stock raisers
and ranchers of the Panhandle country, Mr. Ingerton
has been prominent at Amarillo and vicinity for a num-
ber of years, and besides the importance of his industrial
activities has been a leader in the organization and de-
velopment of several of the Panhandle planters, and in
every way is a man of large public spirit and of broad
and influential activities.

There are few of the old time Amarillo citizens who
do not possess an affectionate remembrance for Mr. In-
gerton 's mother. She was one of the remarkable women
in this section of the state, served as postmaster at
Amarillo for a number of years, and for a much longer
period had been a school teacher and many of the prom-
inent men of tlie jnosent time were her pupils and give
her credit for many of the influences and kindly help-
fulness which started them on their careers.

William H. Ingerton was born in Columbus. Ohio,
May 7, 1S65, and was the only child of William H. and
Martha Hannah (Sargent) Ingerton. Both parents were
natives of Ohio. The father in his younfr manhood
gained the rank of captain in the United States Army
and became lieutenant colonel of the Thirteenth Tennes-
see Cavalry during the Civil war in which he served from
the beginning to the end. Near the close of the war at
Knoxville, Tenn., he met a tragic death and was twenty-
eight years of age at the time. Mrs. Ingerton, who
was married at Urbana, Ohio, in 1S64, after the death
of her husband engaged in teaching, as a means to sup-
port herself and her only child. In 1872 she came to
Texas, and for seventeen years, up to 1889, was engaged
in teaching. She was a woman of excellent education, a
graduate of Holbrook College, and on coming to Texas
she began teaching in Waco, subsequently in Marlin,
later at Denison, Sherman, Midland, and Sulphur Springa.
She was principal of the Elmo school at Elmo and was
assistant principal of the Normal school in Sulphur
Springs. About 1889 she was appointed postmaster at
Amarillo, and held that office and administered its serv-
ice most efficiently for six years and four months up
to the time of her death, which occurred in Amarillo,
when she was sixty six years of age.

William H. Ingerton owes much to his mother's in-
fluence and training and was given excellent advantages
despite the handicaps imposed upon his mother in pro-
viding for the livelihood of both of them. He was edu-
cated in the public schools of Denison and Sherman
to the age of fifteen, and subsequently was sent to the
State Normal school at Salina, Kansas, during the pe-
riod which his mother was postmaster at Amarillo. His
first work after leaving school was with the firm of
Gunther & JIunson, surveyors, and was employed in va-
rious capacities by this firm in different parts of the
state. He then became a cowboy, and rode the range
for ten years, in western Texas, and thus laid the foun-
dation for his successful career as a stockman. At the
end of that time he gathered a bunch of cattle and began
business on his own account. His success in this field is
a matter of common knowledge to nearly all the resi-
dents of the Panhandle. At the present time he owns
and operates a ranch of two thousand acres and also
holds a large amount of leased pasture lands in Hutch-
inson county. He runs upwards of a thousand head of
cattle and other live stock, and is one of the large ship-
pers from this section. During his early career he
served for a time as assistant postmaster under his
mother and succeeded J. M. Kendred as postmaster.

Mr. Ingerton has the distinction of having been the
first county judge of Hutchinson county, serving two



years in that important administrative ofiEce, during
which time he practically organized and set in operation
the machinery of the county. He was one of the or-
ganizers of not only that county but also of Potter
county, and was the presiding officer at the time of the
organization of Potter county. In politics he is a Re-
publican, and has always interested himself in political
affairs. For nine years he served in the Texas National
Guards and attained the rank of captain in Troop B of
the First Cavalry Eegiment, T. N. G. His church is the
Episcopal. Mr. Ingerton was married in Amarillo Jan-
uary 10, 1894, to Miss Ida Wheatley, whose father was
Dr. T. A. Wheatley, her mother's maiden name having
been Eager. Her father and family were among the
old timeis in this section of Texas. Eight children have
been born to Mr. and Mrs. Ingerton, and they are ac-
counted for as follows: Enid, who is a graduate of the
high school at Amarillo, class of 1913; Sheridan; Wil-
liam H., Jr.; Adeleue and Madalene, twins; Ida Lola;
Mary; Gillen. All the children were born in Amarillo.

Jesse F. Collins. In the flourishing little commer-
cial center of Kemp, in Kaufman county, Mr. Collins
has for a quarter of a century been closely identified
with mercantile enterprise, and in later years has also
taken part in local banking. He now has a position of
prominence in a locality where he grew up as a bare-
foot boy.

Jesse F. Collins was born in Mississippi, May 12,
1866, and was a child when brought to Kaufman county.
His father was James T. Collins, who was born in Cul-
peper, Virginia, had a limited education in the old
field schools, early in youth went to Mississippi, and
for many years resided in Pontotoc and Calhoun coun-
ties. He was reared on a tobacco plantation in the
Old Dominion, and from Mississippi went out as a private
soldier in the Confederacy. He lived the uneventful but
useful career of a farmer, and spent his last years in
Kaufman county near Kemp, where he died in 1883.
James T. Collins was married in Mississippi to Miss
Martha Collins, a daughter of Jesse Collins, but they
were not kin. Jesse Collins was a slave holder, and waa
an Alabaman by birth. The children of James T. Col-
lins and wife numbered sixteen, of whom the follow-
ing grew up: Kate, who resides in Mississippi, and mar-
ried George Young; Mary A., wife of C. C. Moore of
Kemp; Lewis D., James B., and John D., who live in
and about Kemp; Fred B., of Mississippi; Jesse F.,
and Virgil A., of Waco, in the employ of a railroad
there. James T. Collins was a man full of years when
he came to Texas, and entered upon the work of making
a farm and rearing his family. He went through hia
work and accepted the results of his efforts without
shout or murmur, mingled with his neighbors as one of
them, belonged to no church or fraternity, and cast his
ballot in political contests as a Democrat. His wife
died in 1902. and both lie in the cemetery at Kemp.

Jesse F. Collins grew to man 's estate on the farm
a mile north of Kemp, and a commercial course in
Lawrence's business college of Dallas was added to his
country school work. He began life in the commercial
world as a clerk for W. C. Mason i- Son, in 1888, and
learned the business of merchandising during the four
years he was in this employ. In 1892 he associated him-
self with his brother, John D., and engaged in business
as J. D. Collins and brother. The firm bought the
buOding now housing the Guaranty State Bank of Kemp,
and in 1895 the senior Collins retired and Mr. B. Eeason-
over entered the firm, which became Collins & Eeason-
over. This was continued for one year, when J. D.
Collins again entered the firm, buying out Mr. Eea-
sonover, and Collins Brothers continued together until
1904, when the senior member again retired. Since then
the firm has been conducted under the style of J. F. Col-
lins. In 1907 Mr. Collins left his old business location
and bought lot No. 2 in block C. one of the attractive



2048



TEXAS AND TEXANS



brick blocks of the vigorous little town. Mr. Collins
became a stoekiolder in the Guaranty State Bank of
Kaufman within a few months after its organization, and
has been vice president since 1910. His home in block
No. 99 on Eleventh Street was erected under his super-
vision and marks the substantial chara.cter of the man
and suggests his permanent and abiding faith in the
little town where he has lived for many years. Mr.
Collins' public service has been rendered to his town
in the capacity of city secretary, and as a member of
the board of education.

Mr. Collins is secretary of Lodge No. 528, A. F. &
A. M., is a Knight of Pythias, and is a steward in
the Methodist church. He does his political work quietly,
as a member of the majority party of Texas, and be-
fore the advent of the primary system often attended
the local conventions. At Gatosville, Texas, March 6,
1893, Mr. Collins married Miss Addie Washburn, a
daughter of E. H. Wasliliuni, a jeweler of that place
and a former Confederate soldier. Mr. Washburn was
born in Tennessee, and married Miss Nannie Eeed. and
their children were Lucy, now Mrs. Dan P. Quesenberry
of Waco; Mrs. Collins; John, of Gatesville; Eli, who
is associated with Mr. Collins in business at Kemp;
Erin, wife of Fred Kaler, of Center Point, Texas; and
Florine, Mrs. Ralph Lombard of Corpus Christi. Mr.
and Mrs. Collins have children: E. H., aged eighteen;
Leslie, aged sixteen, and Thelma, aged fourteen.

Thomas Peyton Ldker. Each year witnesses remark-
able progress in the science of agriculture, for scientific
farming has been developed to such a dcTree that it
has been brought to the front among the honored call-
ings and is regarded as one that demands careful prep-
aration and that returns sure and generous compensation.
To understand the aroused and continued interest in
agricultural achievement, the work of such progressive
farmers as Thomas Peyton Luker, of Henderson county,
must be taken into consideration. Mr. Luker has re-
sided in Henderson countv since his birth, and is a
son of Alabama settlers of Texas of the year 1847. His
father was Judge Joshua B. Luker, who came to Texas
with the widow Holland's family and preempted land
six miles north of Athens, several years before the
county seat acquired the importance of a town. He
resided on his hnlf-section of land and occupied him-
self with its develoiniieiit into a farm until his death in



1860. He was .•omitv ii
a hand in the ovL;;iiiii:ii ii
married in Van Z^imlt m
A. McWilliams, a daugli
residence now being at ^
where she spent her hon
bama in 1836 and came



luring the fifties and had
Athens. Joshua B. Luker
Texas, in 1S.51. Miss Julia
• \V:itsoii MrWiUiams, her
i-,|. niilv ,-1 tew miles from
,11. slie \\:is l.nin in Ala-
s.-is \vith h.'v i.iiients about



the time her husband migrated to the Lone Star State.
Judge Luker spent his life in Texas without the presence
of any of his brothers or sisters and it has been only
in recent years that several of his nieces and nephews
have come" into the state and settled in Comanche county.
The children born to the late Judge Joshua B. and Julia
A. (iMcWilliams) Luker were as follows: Lizzie, who
became the wife of Jo Cox, and died near the old
homestead in Henderson county, being the mother of
several children: Sarah, who became the wife of Jeff
Killingsworth, a residnet of Eustace. Texas: Thomas
Peyton, of this review; Mary C, who passed away a
maiden, and James M., who is engaged in the mercan-
tile business at Athens, Texas.

Thomas Peyton Luker was born December 3, 185.5, in
Henderson county, Texas, and grew to manhood at his
birthplace. His" education came from the brief terms
of the country school, consisting of several months dur-
ing the winter season, and farm work was the vocation
which he adopted as his life work and to which he
assiduously applied himself. He was married early and
started his own career on a small farm which had been



to him by his mother and he clung to it and
added other acres occasionally until 1901. When he sold
it he deeded ISO acres, a farm built largely by his own
hands. He then came to Murchison, where he owns
380 acres within a mile or two of the town, and this he
has raised to a state of eflSciency which challenges the
record of any other upland farm of its size in this part
of the state.

While the ordinary labor of cultivation has proceeded
from year to year, Mr. Luker has demonstrated by spe-
cial care the average farmer of this section takes less
from his land than fertility can be made to produce.
His methods of farming have always kept him from
buying a bushel of corn for his own use since he has
been doing his own agi'icultural work. His 250 acres
under cultivation are as friable and as lively in pro-
duction as the other fertile soils of Texas, and under a
test of two acres he proved that 1,560 pounds of lint
cotton can be grown with the use of 300 pounds of fer-
tilizer. He has also demonstrated that one acre of land
will produce 235 bushels of sweet potatoes right after a
crop of 120 bushels of Irish potatoes have been dug,
both of these being the crop of the same season.

In his relations to his community and locality in a
general way, Mr. Luker is vice-president of the First
State Bank of Murchison, and is one of the stockholders
of the Citizens State Bank of Chandler, Texas. His
business ability has been proven no less than has his
skill as an agriculturist and among his associates he is
known as a man to whom to look for counsel and leader-
ship. His contribution to the progress and development
of his section has been the erection of a number of fine
and substantial buildings on his several properties. A
clean, energetic and abstemious life has left him a sturdy,
stalwart and fresh-looking man, appearing fully ten
years younger than he admits.

On February 28, 1876, Mr. Luker was married in
Henderson county, Texas, to Miss Frances Mayfield,
a daughter of Austin Mayfield, one of the early men
and permanent settlers of Henderson, and a native of
Alabama. Mrs. Luker was a native of the Lone Star
State and died August 3, 1901. Nine children were
born to this union: Ella, the eldest, born 1876,
died 1899; J. B., the second child, born 1878,
died March, 1901; John W., the third, born November 12,
1881, died August 4, 1882; Mary, the fourth, born in
1883, died 1897; and one, the fifth born, died in infancy;
Fred, who married Miss Essie Martin, has a son, Leon,
and is engaged in agricultural pursuits in the vicinity
of Murchison; Clem, who died single; Porter, who
married Cora Burgemy, and is the owner of a farm
located not far from Murchison; and Callie, who became
the wife of Alexander Harden and who died Novem-
ber 13, 1913. On January 11, 1903, Mr. Luker was
married to Miss Bessie Martin, a daughter of Capt.
E. J. Martin, who lived south of Chandler, Texas, an
old Confederate soldier, who came to Texas after the
close of the CivU war. His wife bore the maiden
name of Elona Taylor, and they were the parents ot
ten children, six living. Mr. and Mrs. Luker have had
two children: Horace and Morris.

Mr and Mrs. Luker are associated with the Baptist
church, and have been liberal in their support of its
movements. In politics a Democrat, Mr. Luker has been
stanch in his adherence to its principles, and as manager
of elections in his district wields a wide influence m
party affairs. He has not cared to affiliate with fraternal
bodies.

Emory Fountain Huddle, M. D. The annals of the
medical profession of Henderson county would be de-
cidedly incomplete without extended mention being made
of Dr. Emory Fountain Huddle, the only remaining pio-
neer of Murchison, and a physician whose devotion to his
noble calling has made him widely known and success-
ful therein and whose high conception of the duties of



TEXAS AND TEXANS



2049



citizenship entitle him to the universal regard and esteem
in which he is held by his fellow-townsmen. Doctor
Huddle is a son of William B. Huddle, a pioneer to
Van Zandt county, Texas, of the year 1850, when he
eiiilcil a Ioiil; and arduous journey from Wythe county,
^■|^^illia, l.\- two-horse wagon. William B. Huddle was
linm 111 Wvtiic county, in 1833, his father being David
Hiiil.llr, wlio married a Miss Brown, both of the latter
dying in that county. The sons in the family were:
William B. ; Eufus and John, who died as soldiers dur-
ing the Civil War, the former leaving three children
and the latter one; Josiah Emory, who died recently
in Van Zandt county, Texas, leaving a family, and Ben-
jamin, James and Frank, who remained in Virginia.
There were three daughters in the family of David
Huddle, but none ever came to Texas.

William B. Huddle received his education in the
country schools of Wythe county, Virginia, and there
was married to Barbara E. Cormany, also a native of
Old Dominion. Not long after their union they bid
farewell to their family and friends and turned their
faces toward the Southwest, intent on finding a new
locality in which to make their home. On arriving in
Van Zandt county, Texas, they settled on Horsley Creek,
four miles northeast of Ben Wheeler, and were there
residing at the time of the outbreak of the war between
the South and the North, when Mr. Huddle cast his for-
tunes with the Confederacy and enlisted in one of the
first companies to leave for the front in defense of
the Stars and Bars. His brothers, Eufus and John,
were also soldiers in the same cause, and, like William
B., took part in the Mansfield campaign, in which both
lost their lives. On the close of his military service,
William B. Huddle returned to the duties of peace,
and soon thereafter changed his location to the com-
munity five miles northwest of Chandler, where he pur-
chased land, developed a farm, made a comfortable home
and reared his family. There he finished his work as
an active factor in human affairs, and died in Van Zandt
county, November 23, 1910, being buried in the old
cemetery in the community in which he had lived after
the Civil War. His life, although one of privacy, was
also one of usefulness to his community, and every-
where he was known as a man of the strictest integrity
and high ideals of citizenship. He was not a politician,
earing little for the struggles of the public arena, but
was a consistent supporter of Democratic ]ii iiHi|.l.'^ ami
candidates, and ever took a keen intenst in mall, is
as they affected the welfare of his cnmmuiiit\. llr w-i-.
shipped as a Presbyterian, and reared his ramih m tliat
faith. Mrs. Huddle passed away in 1894, Iiimm^ lirm
the mother of the following children: (iiann,' I.'., v\lio
died when sixteen years of age; James B. died at tlic aye
of eighteen years; Emory Fountain, of this review; Knb-
ert C, who died near Cooper. Texas, his wife and chil-
dren now being residents of Coleman countv, this state;
Mrs. V. V. Wilson, who is a resident of Van Zandt
county; Laura C, who is the wife of Thomas Wlyatt,
of Clark's, Louisiana; Mrs. America A. Holloman, of
Henderson county, Texas; Mattie K., who is now Mrs.
John Ferguson, of Clark's, Louisiana, and Arch W., a
resident of Denver, Colorado.

Emory Fountain Huddle was born at the Horsley
Creek home of his parents, in the "Free State" of
Van Zandt. June 2, 18.59. Wlien but a few years old
he was permitted by his parents to live in the childless
home of his mother's sister, :Mrs. Hiram Neff, in Hen-
derson county, and there he grew to manhood. His edu-
cation came to him in the main as a pupil of McBride
& Cross' Mount Sylvan Academy and at Professor
Orr's school at Omen, where many men who subsequently
became prominent in the history of Texas were trained.
In 1887 Mr. Huddle gave up 'his studies find for one
year was engaged in conducting the old homestead farm,
but in 1888 began reading medicine with Doctor Belcher,
at Chandler. Under the preceptorship of this able phy-



sician and surgeon, Doctor Huddle was prepared for col-
lege, and in 1889 entered Louisville (Kentucky) Med-
ical College, from which he was graduated with his
degree in 1891.

Doctor Huddle at nm-e located in Murchison for prac-
tice, this hanili't at tli;it time containing the families
ot J. L. Townlev an. I .l.ilin B. Murphy, the latter of
wliom soon movcl to Atliiiis, Texas, to accept an official
position in Henderson county. Doctor Huddle was at
that time single, and he at first boarded in the Murphy
home. He practiced out of his medicine case until the
establishment of a drug store and the introduction of
the prescription about 1904, although this, being a de-
cided departure from the old custom, was successfully
resisted by the people for a time. Various characters
of fevers were prevalent and common that are now rare,
and drugs were fed to the afflictfed in allopathic doses.
Doctor Huddle brought about the establihsment of the
Murchison Drug Company in 1900, and has been inter-
ested in that concern since the time it was organized.
As a physician be lias attained an enviable reputation
and among his pi iitc-si.mal brethren is known as a
rigid observer of the luiwiitten ethics of his calling. He
did not cease to be a student when he graduated from
college, for he has continued to apply himself to his
medical books and to periodicals of his profession which
keep him well abreast of the wonderful advancements
and discoveries which are constantly beiiiy made. Ti.ictor
Huddle has found time to engage in lines i.i a. liMty out-
side of his profession, being a partner in ili.' Min.liisun
Mercantile Company, and the building in wlii.li il is
located, a stockholder in the First State Bank of Mur-
chison, and a farmer by proxy, owning several valu-
able tracts of land in the vicinity of Murchison. He was
among the first to plant Elberta orchards here, but
has lately decided that there is little profit in peaches
and is letting his orchard pass away. The tall, well-
proportioned figure of Doctor Huddle is a familiar sight



Online LibraryFrancis White JohnsonA history of Texas and Texans (Volume 4) → online text (page 147 of 177)