Francis White Johnson.

A history of Texas and Texans (Volume 4) online

. (page 148 of 177)
Online LibraryFrancis White JohnsonA history of Texas and Texans (Volume 4) → online text (page 148 of 177)
Font size
QR-code for this ebook


on the streets of Murchison, where he is constantly
being greeted by his numerous friends. He is a Demo-
crat, but not a politician. In religion he is a Presby-
terian, but does not belong to any church as there is
none of that denomination here. Fraternally he is a
member of the Woodmen of the World and the Fra-
ternal Union of America.

On April 10, 1895, Doctor Huddle was united in mar-
riage in Murchison, to Miss Kate L. Denton, daughter
of Doctor Denton, a dentist, who died in Mississippi.
His family then came to Texas and his widow is now
a resident of Murchison and the mother of these chil-
dren: Mrs. B. D. Ware, who is the postmistress of
Murchison; J. O., a railroad man, who died at this
place in 1913, and left a family; John W., a resident of
Tyler, Texas; Mrs. Florence Wood, a resident of Athens;
Mrs. Huddle, Frank, who is engaged in farming in
Henderson and Anderson counties, Texas, and Walter
G., residing in Murchison. Doctor and Mrs. Huddle
have one daughter, Grace Pauline, who was born March
1, 1896, took a three-year course at the Alexander
College Institute at Jacksonville, Texas, and is now
attending Trinity University, W.axahachie, Texas. Doc-
tor Huddle is also a member of the Henderson County
Medical Association and the State Medical Association.

Matthew E. Edgar. On May 26, 1910, Mr. Edgar
organized the First State Bank of Eustace with a capital
of ten thousand dollars. Since that time he has served
as its president, and has made the bank one of the best
managed financial institutions of Henderson county. The
vice president is G. J. Cook, and the cashier S. E. Brad-
ley. Mr. Edgar is also a director in the Guarantee
State Bank of Athens, and for a number of years has
been one of the leading business men and upbuilders of
the town of Eustace. He has watched and encouraged
its prospects and welfare until the hamlet has given
way to the village and it seems that a long road of
prosperous development is still before this community.



TEXAS AND TEXANS



M. E. Edgar was born at StarviUe, in Smith county,
Texas, December 30, 1866. His boyhood was spent in
Smith and Upshur counties. His grandfather was from
Pennsylvania, an early settler in Alabama, where he
was married and reared a family of four sons and one
daughter. Two of these sons were killed while serving
in the Confederate army; another, Mack, died near
Grand Saline, Texas; John M., the father of the
Eustace banker, died at Big Sandy; the daughter mar-
ried a Mr. Williamson and moved to San Saba county,
Texas.

John M. Edgar, who was born about 1831, was thrown
upon the world iu childhood, and his educational equip-
ment was very limited. He came to Texas when a lad
of fourteen yeais. All his lifetime was devoted to farm-
ing, and in Smith county he married Miss Mary Jones,
who died in 1871, leaving children: Matthew E., and
Amanda, who married Jack Mosser, and lives in Texas.
The second wife of John M. Edgar was Sallie Kilpat-
rick, and their eight sons and three daughters have resi-
dence in different sections of Texas.

Matthew E. Edgar remained on the farm with his
father until he was a month and fourteen days past
his majority. While growing up he had little oppor-
tunity to attend school, and did not give very close at-
tention to his studies while he was in the school room
so that when he reached his majority his educational
equipment would have classed him as an elementary
pupil. He got into the saloon business as a bar-keeper,
and subsequently opened a stock of wet goods on his
own account. He began the business in Big Sandy,
and when the place voted ' ' dry ' ' he moved to Tyler,
and opened another place. There he continued until
the Prohibition sentiment overturned things and closed
up all the saloons. His next move was to Athens, and
the same performance was repeated there. Then he
sought an opening at Eustace, where he was permitted
to conduct business until December 30, 1909, when he
closed his place as a result of a dry vote, and quit
the business after having followed it for twenty-two
years, always pursued by the hostile public opinion
which for years has been menacing the liquor business
throughout Texas. Having been ' ' voted out ' ' of busi-
ness lour times, Mr. Edgar sought a new field, and thus
turned his attention to banking, with what results has
already been stated. As one of the vigorous promoters
of Eustace welfare, Mr. Edgar stands out as the father
of the wet side portion of the town, where his row of
five business houses stand.

Mr. Edgar has never been in politics except in local
affairs, and is a Democrat, his father having followed
the same political cleavage, and having fought as a
soldier of the south. On Christmas Day of 1902 at
Overton, Texas, Mr. Edgar married Miss Annie Oliver,
a daughter of WU^ Oliver, a Tennesseean, who came
to Texas many years ago, was a soldier of the Confed-
eracy and followed a career as a farmer. Wiley Oliver
married a Miss Green. Mrs. Edgar was one of two
daughters and four sons. The children of Mr. Edgar and
wife are Wilbur and Dotthie Lee.

Michael Rotux>'0. Among the prosperous enter-
prises of El Paso >vhich supplies a trade throughout
west Texas and the adjoining states of New Mexico and
Arizona is the marble and general stone-cutting estab-
lishment of Michael Eotunno, who maintains a large
plant for the cutting and finishing of monuments and
general ornamental stoneware of all kinds and who ships
his products throughout this state and the two new
states of the west, and into old Mexico and even as far
as California. Mr. Eotunno is one of the most skillful
men in his trade in the State of Texas and has his ap-
prenticeship back in the nation of art, where he learned
marble cutting business in the atmosphere of old Italy.

Michael Eotunno was born in Italv in 1856. His fa-



ther was Joseph and his mother Catherine Eotunno, both
of whom were Italians by birth, and they came to
America about 1876. In this country the father be-
came a farmer and cattle raiser. Educated in the
schools of Italy, Michael Eotunno at the early age of
twelve years served an apprenticeship at the marble
cutter 's trade, and served under skillful masters and with
the most perfect models of his art at the city of Padule.
About 1878 he came to America and during the following
six years had a varied experience as a journeyman and
workman in the different cities and states of the coun-
try, his various locations during this time being as fol-
lows : Prom New York, where he remained a short time,
he removed into Canada, locating first at St. Catherines;
was in Chicago for a time; then in St. Louis; then in
Memphis, Tennessee, and also in Chattanooga of the
same state ; came into the southwest and located first at
Dallas, then in Austin, then in San Antonio, and also in
Fort Worth ; was at Las Vegas, New Mexico, and in
Santa Fe and also Albuquerque, and from Albuquerque
moved to El Paso in 1S84, where he established his pres-
ent business on a small scale and in thirty years has
built it up to be the most extensive and best equipped in
workmanship and general service in this city.

In politics Mr. Eotunno has been an independent voter,
giving less attention to the party than to the man and
the principles involved. Fraternally he is affiliated with
the Woodmen of the W^orld. He was reared in the
Catholic faith, having been taken into the church early
in life. About twenty-two years ago he married in El
Paso Miss Anne Dellbuno, a daughter of Frank and
Eose Dellbuno, both of whom were natives of Italy, and
came to America a number of years ago. As a resident
of El Paso since the early stage of its commercial de-
velopment, Mr. Eotunno has been a witness of practically
every phase of its history and is one of the loyal and en-
thusiastic citizens of this section of the state and enjoys
the high esteem of all his fellow citizens, most of whom
he has known since the beginning of their residence.

LoBEL A. C.\RLTON. Senior member of the law firm
of Carlton, Townes cS- Townes, with offices in the Stew-
art Building at Houston, and also maintaining offices
in Beaumont, Mr. Carlton has been identified with the
Texas bar for a quarter of a century and has practiced
with unusual success and enjoyed large and influential
connections with business and social affairs.

Lobel A. Carlton was born in the state of Alabama,
a son of Dr. Snider M. and Nancy (Satterwhite) Carl-
ton. His parents in 1872 moved to Texas, Fettling first
in Panola county, and later moved to Henderson in Eusk
county. The father was a physician, and spent many
years of practice in Eusk county.

Educated in the schools at Henderson. Mr. Carlton
subsequently entered the University of Texas, and pur-
sued the general academic courses at that institution
until his graduation as Bachelor of Literature in 1S87.
In the meantime he had studied law, and immediately
on graduating, without any further preparation, applied
to the Supreme Court and was admitted to the bar.
Thus he began his active career in the law in 1887, and
first had an office at Hillsboro. During the great indus-
trial and commercial development at Beaumont he es-
tablished practice there and became one of the best known
lawyers of the city. In 1906 he associated with himself
Mr." Edgar E. Townes. Then in 1911 he came to Houston
and opened an office here under the firm name of Carl-
ton, Townes & Townes, Ernest W. Townes at that time
becoming another member of the firm. The Beaumont
ofiSce is still in charge of Mr. Edgar E. Townes, while
Mr. Carlton and Ernest W. Townes attend to the affairs
of the Houston office. During his residence in Beaumont,
Mr. Carlton became closely identified as an officer and
director with many of the local corporations, and is
also prominent in civic and social affairs of that city.




MICHAEL ROTrX.XO



J



TEXAS AND TEXANS



He is a member of the various clubs of Beaumout and
Houston.

Honorable 'William J. Kussell. Prosperously en-
gaged in the practice of a profession demandmg a large
measure of veritable talent in addition to a vast amount
of hard work, Honorable William J. Eussell, of Browns-
ville, has won success through a wise application of
his native and acquired ability and skill, and gained a
position of note among the able and influential members
of the Texas bar. He was born in Fayette county,
Texas, in 18(55, of pioneer descent. His paternal grand-
father, also named William J. Eussell, migrated from
his native state. North Carolina, to Texas, in the
twenties, and fought, under General Houston, in the
battles of 1836, for Texas independence.

William H. and Miriam (Williams) Kussell, Mr. Rus-
sell's parents, are neither of them living. The father,
who was born in Brazoria county, Texas, came from
there to Cameron county in 1870, and subsequently made
his home in Brownsville.

But five years old when brought to Brownsville, Wil-
liam J. Eussell laid a substantial foundation for his fu-
ture education in the public schools, and later turned
his attention to the study of law, for which he was well
adapted. Admitted to the bar at Brownsville in 1S92,
he at once engaged in the general practice of his chosen
profession, and has met with eminent success as a
lawyer.

Taking a genuine . interest in public matters, Mr.
Eussell has served ably and acceptably in many posi-
tions of responsibility. During the second administration
of President Cleveland he was Brownsville 's postmaster,
and for two terms he served as city attorney. In 1903
and 1904 he was county judge of Cameron county, and
now, in January, 1913, is United States Commissioner
and referee in bankruptcy for the United States Court.
He has also rendered his district valuable service as a
representative to the State Legislature, having been
a member of the House of Eepresentatives during the
twenty-third, twenty-sixth, twenty-seventh and twenty-
eighth sessions.

Eli a. Johnston, M. D. In the minds of the ma-
jority of the people of Amarillo the name of Dr. Eli
A. Johnston at once suggests the proud position which
the city has attained in medical centers of the Lone Star
State. Although not one of the pioneers of this city, he
has witnessed the wonderful growth of the community
within the past decade, and has played no small part
himself in bringing about the change and development
that have been such a source of pride to the citi?ens
of Amarillo. Dr. Johnston was born at Troy, Alabama,
March 21, 1850, and is a son of Dr. A. C. and Rebecca
C. (Simmons) Johnston, natives of North Carolina who
early moved to Alabama. In 1859 the family loi-atcd in
Arkansas, and there Dr. A. C. Johnson was engaged in
an extensive practice until 1863, when he brought his
family to Texas and settled in Hopkins county. At the
close of the struggle between the North and the South,
in 1865. he returned to Arkansas, and there continued
in practice up to the time of his death, wh'ich occurred
in his eighty-fourth year. His widow still survives
him, aged eighty-four years, and is a resident of Arkan-
sas. They were the parents of three sons and four
daughters, Eli A. being the oldest.

Eli A. Johnston received his early education in the
public schools of Arkansas, subsequently entering the
University of Arkansas, but left that institution before
his graduation. During the years of 1876 and 1877 he
attended the St. Louis Eclectic College, and graduated,
and in the latter year returned to Arkansas and entered
upon the practice of his profession, continuing there. un-
til 1886. He then entered Memphis Hospital Medical
College, for further study, and was graduated there-
from in 1887, then again returning to Arkansas and



continuing there until 1SS9. At this time he came to
Henrietta, Texas, where he continued in practice until
1901, and since that year has made the city of Amarillo
his field of endeavor. He has continued his studies,
taking post-graduate work at Chicago in 19U.5, at New
Orleans in 1907 and at New York in 19u9, and has kept
fully abreast of the changes and scientific discoveries
of his profession by subscription to the leading medical
periodicals of the day and close attention to the work
of the State and county medical societies, the American
Medical Association and the American Congress of Sur-
geons, in all of which he holds membership. Of strong
character, he is possessed of uncommon energy and
spirit. His abundant labors, his varied experiences and
his ceaseless activity have not abated the vivacity of
his disposition or the energy of his character, and he
continues to take a keen interest in the material welfare
of the city that he has seen grow from a community of
1200 souls. Indeed, the Doctor has implicit confidence
in the future of Amarillo, which, aside from its ad-
vantages as a health resort, he believes is the logical dis-
tributing point between Denver, Fort Worth and El
Paso. He is a Democrat in his political views, but has
had no personal aspirations for public life. He has
shown an interest in fraternal work, having attained
to the Shriner and Scottish Rite degrees in Masonry,
and is also a member of the Elks, the Odd Fellows, the
Knights of Pvthias and the Woodmen of the World.
With his family he belongs to the Methodist Episcopal
Church. His career, from the days when with youthful
energy and ambition he worked his own way through
school, has been one of constant endeavor and steady
advancement, and he well deserves the material success
that has come to him as well as the position he occu-
pies as one of the foremost physicians of this section.

Dr. Johnston was married in November. 1874, at Louis-
ville, Arkansas, to Mifs Virginia J. Featherston, daugh-
ter of T. J. Featherston, of Lewisville, Arkansas, and
five children were born to this union.

Judge Hiram M. Garwood. Few men of Houston have
been more conspicuously or worthUy identified with the
professional or political life of this section of the state
than has Judge Hiram M. Garwood, member of the firm
of Baker, Botts, Parker & Garwood for some years past,
one time state representative and later state senator,
with a term as county judge of Bastrop county inter-
vening between the periods of his legislative service. He
has won distinctive laurels in his profession and in his
public service, and is well worthy of place in a work
of the nature of this publication.

Judge Garwood was born at Bastrop, Texas, on Janu-
ary if, 1864, and is the son of Calvin B. and Frances B.
(Walker) Garwood. The father was born in Bellefon-
taine, Ohio, and came to Texas about 1852. He was
a representative of the Garwood family of Quaker asso-
ciations, the family being of the original William Penn
Colonv at Philadelphia. Calvin Garwood served through-
out the Civil war as a soldier in the Confederate array,
and was a prominent and useful citizen in the community
where he so long made his home. The mother of the
subject was born in Columbia, Tennessee, her faiuily
having come originally -from North Carolina, where they
were early settlers of the state.

Hiram Garwood received an excellent education, fin-
ishing in the Universitv of the South, at Sewanee, Ten-
nessee, and graduating therefrom in 1SS3 with the de-
gree of B. S. He then entered upon the study ot law
in the office of Gov. Joseph D. Snyrc-= nt R:,«trop, Texas,
and was admitted to the bar ii. I^-". -in >• ^yh.ch time
he has been associated m partii. i>liip > iili j ol. u. u.
Jones, B. D. Oergain, and Jonntl.,,., ' ■'";■, 'f" "!'""
ing his present connection with the firm .it Baker, Botts,
Parker & Garwood. . ,.• „i;

Judge Garwood has been prominent in Democratic poli-
tics and in 1886 was elected state representative from



2052



TEXAS AND TEXANS



Bastrop county, serving a two-year term in that office.
He became county judge of Bastrop county in 1SS8,
and from 1890 to 1892 represented Lee, Bastrop and
Fayette counties in the state senate. His service in all
these offices was of a high order, creditable both to hiin
and to the state.

Judge Garwood has long been concerned in the wel-
fare of his Alma Mater and has been a member of the
Board of Eegents of the University of Texas for a num-
ber of years. He is accounted one of the most valuable
friends'of the University to be found in the state today.
Long popular in the legal fraternity, he has been presi-
dent of the Texas State Bar Association. His fraternal
connections are wide in their scope, embracing Masonry
in its various branches, and the Knights of Pythias.
In the former order he has membership in the Eoyal
Arch Masons, the Knights Templar and the Ancient
Arabic Order Kobles of the Mystic Shrine. His col-
lege fraternity is the Alpha Tau Omega, and in Houston
he has membership in the Thalian Club, the Houston
Club and the Houston Country Club.

Judge Garwood was married in 1890 to Miss Hattie
Page, "the daughter of Col. Paul D. Page, a prominent
attorney of Bryan, Texas, where Mrs. Garwood was
reared. Three children have been born of their union — ■
Calvin, St. John and Louise. The family home is at
1619 Fannin street.

E. A. Clousxitzer. One of the local industries which
has done much to give Quanah a place among the well
improved and finished cities of Texas is the electric
light and ice plant, which supplies light and power as
well as one of the most valuable commodities in use by
the people of this community. The founder of this local
industry was V.r. E. A. Clousnitzer, and he has since
been its proprietor and active manager.

E. A. Clousnitzer is a native of Germany, born in the
city of Dresden, January 3, 1869, the youngest of twelve
children born to Frederick Augustus and Christina Ame-
lia (Eisbrieht) Clousnitzer. The parents, both natives
of Germany, moved to America in 1837, and located in
Texas. The father, who by profession was a mining en-
gineer, took up farming and stock raising in Texas, and
he lived in this state until his death in 1S95, when he
was at the age of sixty-six years. The mother also died
in Texas, in 1893, aged sixty-eight years.

Mr. Clousnitzer was reared in his native land, and had
the advantages of the excellent technical schools
of that country. He served an apprenticeship in the
machinist trade, and when he had finished that prepara-
tion he came to America and formed a home in Texas.
After a short period as a farmer he went to work at his
trade in Houston and was for a time employed in the
railroad shops of that city. His next move took him to
old Mexico, where he was employed as a locomotive en-
gineer on the Inter & JNIexican Central Eailroad for
a number of years. He then became a stationary en-
gineer at Taylor, Texas, and from there he went to San
Angelo as superintendent of the San Angelo water-
works. Some years later he took up the special work in
which he has been so successful, that of installing elec-
tric light and ice systems.

Mr. Clousnitzer is the pioneer electrical engineer of
this part of the state, and it is he who promoted most
of the plants along the line of the Fort Worth & Den-
ver Eailroad lines. He had in charge the work of install-
ing plants at Colorado City, Bowie, Wichita Falls, and
Vernon, and in 1902 he came to Quanah and installed
the splendid electric light and ice plant here operating.
It is a large and important industry, and represents a
goodly amount of capital, the machinery for such a sys-
tem being very intricate and costly, both for the gener-
ation of electric power and the manufacture of ice.

Mr. Clousnitzer is a Democrat in his politics, but has
never entered the political arena to any extent. He is
affiliated with Masonry in the Knights Templar body, and



with the Independent Order of Odd Fellows and the
Woodmen of the World. His church is the Methodist.

At Colorado, Texas, on May 24, 1897, Mr. Clousnitzer
was married to Miss Ella Lee, a daughter of W. E. and
Sylvesta (Young) Lee. Her father is now deceased, and
was one of the old timers of Texas, having moved to this
state from Tennessee in the early forties. The three
children of Mr. Clousnitzer and his wife are: Irene,
born at Colorado City in 1898 and now attending high
school; Fern, born in Quanah, January 20, 1903, and
also attending school; and Colvin, born in Quanah, May
29, 1904.

Mr. Clousnitzer is one of the very prosperous citizens
of Quanah, and his prosperity is the more satisfactory
since it is the result of his own .unaided efforts and en-
terprise. Besides the large business of which he is the
owner and proprietor, he and his family live in a very
handsome residence in Quanah, their home being one
of the show places of the city.

There are some who believe that Mr. Clousnitzer bears
a charmed existence, else he would not otherwise be
among the active members of society in Quanah today,
for he has had experiences in the past few years that
are fortunately not the lot of every man. In October,
1906, Mr. Clousnitzer, who is one of the best known
huntsmen in the state, accidentally emptied a charge of
gunshot into his arm at the shoulder. His life was
despaired of for weeks, but modern surgery, aided by
his wonderful constitution and clean blood, resulted in
a perfect recovery, though his arm, as the result of the
operation performed, is three inches shorter than the
other. However, he has perfect control of that member
and. though short, is considerably better than no arm
at all, as Mr. Clousnitzer will readily attest.

Again, on May 12, 1913, while crossing the tracks of
the Fort Worth & Denver Eailroad, less than three hun-
dred feet from his house, his automobile was struck by
a fast train, which was obscured from view by some box
cars on the siding, and Mr. Clousnitzer was thrown a
distance of seventy-nine feet, hurtling through the air,
his flight being stopped at last by a fence post. The
machine, which was thrown a distance of something like
forty feet, was literally smashed into kindling. Mr.
Clousnitzer kept his bed three weeks, but the experience
was not sufficient to conquer him and at the end of that
time he was able to be about again, while he is now,
some two months later, enjoying the most perfect health.

Hamilton B. McDowell. As manager at El Paso
of the Western Woodware Manufacturing Company,
Mr. McDowell is at the head of the largest enterprise
of the kind in the southwest, and has the management
of a large force of men and the direction of the sale
and general distribution of a large product. Mr. Mc-
Dowell represents the young and progressive business



Online LibraryFrancis White JohnsonA history of Texas and Texans (Volume 4) → online text (page 148 of 177)