Francis White Johnson.

A history of Texas and Texans (Volume 4) online

. (page 149 of 177)
Online LibraryFrancis White JohnsonA history of Texas and Texans (Volume 4) → online text (page 149 of 177)
Font size
QR-code for this ebook


enterprise of this western city, and stands high among
all his associates in this city.

HamOton B. McDowell was born at Lampasas, Texas,
September 14, 1877, the oldest in a family of eight chil-
dren born to W. J. and Jennie (Corbin) McDowell.
The father, who was also born in Texas, was one of
the early families which settled in this state received his
education at Lampasas and later entered the mercantile
and machinerv business. Subsequently he moved to Ari-
zona, where he is still a resident, being now fifty-eight
years of age, and for many years having been active as
a farmer and rancher in Texas. He is now a builder
and contractor at Clifton, Arizona. The mother, who
was born in Mississippi, came to Texas when a girl,
was married in this state and is now fifty-five years of

'^As a child Mr. McDowell attended the public schools
in -Lampasas for some time, and subsequently went to
Montana. In that state he attended the high school in
Great Falls, and also a business college where he com-
pleted his course in 1901. His active and successful



TEXAS AND TEXANS



2053



business career has been passed in a little more than
ten years, and few men have more to show for twelve
years of activity. He went to Arizona after leaving
school and became connected with a merchandising es-
tablishment there, where he remained for six years. His
next field of enterprise was in Chihuahua, Mexico, where
he continued for one year in work in merchandising,
and then in 1909 came to El Paso to take charge of the
affairs of the Western Woodware Company, incorporated.
Under his supervision in this establishment are twenty-
five employes, and the output of this plant is distributed
widely throughout this state and adjoining southwestern
states and through old Mexico.

Mr. McDowell also owns considerable valuable real
estate in El Paso. He has succeeded well in business
affairs and is a popular member in social and civic
circles. Fraternally he is affiliated with the Masonic
Order and the Travelers' Protective Association. His
politics is Republican. On September 4, 1902, at
Lampasas, his native town, Mr. McDowell married Miss
Emma Home, her parents having been old residents of
Lampasas, where her father still lives. The one child
born of their marriage, on September 19, 1905, at Clif-
ton, Arizona, is Miss Euth Virginia McDowell. She is
now attending school in El Paso. Mr. McDowell is
fond of all outdoor sports, and enters actively into com-
munity and social affairs, his name usually being linked
with all public spirited enterprises and the social ac-
tivities of the better class.

Lacy W. Dalton. In a practice of a quarter century 's
duration, the late Mr. Dalton was identified with west
Texas the greater portion of this time, and accepted and
utilized all the opportunities for his personal advance-
ment and for real public service to the communities in
which he made his home. He was recognized as an able
lawyer, and for ten years preceding his death enjoyed a
very extensive clientage in Plainview and Hale county.

Lacy W. Dalton was born at New Albany, Mississippi,
in August, 1867, and died October 16, 1913. The family
has been identified with Texas more or less continuously
for a much longer time. His grandfather, Lacy W. Dal-
ton, for whom the attorney was named, came from Henry
county, Virginia, to Texas, locating in Palestine, a num-
ber of years before the war, and during his residence
there was well known and a close friend of John H. Mc-
Means. James Haywood Dalton, the father of Lacy
W., was born in Mississippi. He came to Palestine,
Texas, in 1858, at the age of sixteen, but after a short
time returned to Mississippi, entered the legal profes-
sion and gained distinction as a lawyer, and at one time
represented his district in the state senate. During the
Civil war he enlisted in the Second Mississippi Eegi-
ment, and made a splendid record as a soldier of the
Confederacy. He was in the thick of the fight at Gettys-
burg, in which he was severely wounded, from which he
recovered eventually and then returned home. He re-
mained a resident of Mississippi until his death in 1887,
at the age of forty-five. The maiden name of his wife
was Martha Stoval, who was born in 184.3, was edu-
cated and married in Mississippi, in which state she
died in 1910. Her father, Ezra Stoval, a native of
Georgia, was one of the old-time planters and slave hold-
ers, and for a number of years before railroads became
common he owned steamboats, operated a packet-line up
and down the Mississippi Eiver between St. Louis and
New Orleans.

Lacy W. Dalton, who was the oldest of the four sons
in the family of his parents, from the lower schools
entered the University of Mississippi, where he was
graduated Bachelor of Philosophy at the age of nine-
teen years. He then entered the law office of his father
and was admitted to the bar in 1888, the same year in
which he attained his majority. Eor several years he
remained in practice in Mississippi, but in 1891 came to
Texas,- located at Seymour, in Baylor county, where he



was in practice for eleven years, and from 1903 until
his death was in Plainview. In politics Mr. Dalton was
a Democrat and his fraternal affiliations were with the
Knights of Pythias, the Independent Order of Odd Fel-
lows, the Benevolent and Protective Order of Elks, and
the Modern Order of Pretorians.

His marriage occurred in New Albany, Mississippi,
August 8, 1888, to Mary T. Mitchell, daughter of Thomas
B. Mitchell. The five children born of their marriage
are: Mrs. Mary Daily, who was born in Texas and now
resides at Plainview ; Miss Patty, a high school graduate ;
Jennie Virginia, attending Wayland College, Parke in
Webb School, Bell Buckle, Tennessee, and Miss Lacy,
attending Wayland College. All the children were born
in this state.. Mrs. Dalton still resides in her home at
Plainview.

Emeby a. Smith. Among the young business lead-
ers of El Paso, men who have located in this city after
a thorough survey and investigation of commercial con-
ditions and have embarked in their enterprise with the
determination to remain and earn a prosperity for them-
selves and to promote the welfare of the entire com-
munity, Henry A. Smith, and his partner, A. Eader, are
particularly well known and have a high commercial
rating in the business circles of this city.

Emery A. Smith, who has been a resident of El Paso
for the past ten years and identified with the southwest
throughout nearly all the years of his active career, was
born in Madison county, Ohio, August 2, 1868, a son of
Charles B. and Mellissa (Dominy) Smith. The father,
a native of Delaware county, Ohio, spent all his life in
that state, and by occupation was a banker and stock
raiser. His death occurred in 1892, when fifty-two years
of age. He was a young man at the time of the Civil
war, and enlisted and got as far as Camp Chase, at which
point the troops were disbanded. The mother was also
born in the state of Ohio, was married there, and her
death occurred in 1891, when she was forty-eight years
of age.

Mr. Emery A. Smith, the third in a family of four
children, attended the public schools of Ohio untQ he
was ready to begin work for himself, and his first busi-
ness experience was in farming and in a general store
at Hyatts, Ohio. After one year there, however, he
came into the southwest, and for six years was with the
Santa Fe Eailroad in New Mexico. From railroading
he drifted into the mining camps of New Mexico, where
he had a varied experience for one year, and then for
two years was at Douglas, Arizona. In 1903 Mr. Smith
came to El Paso, and as a result of his hard experience
during the preceding years was in poor health, so that
for several years he did little more than recuperate.
He then established the El Paso Carriage Works in 1907,
having as his associate Mr. Harry A. Eader. This busi-
ness the partners have developed to extensive propor-
tions and they occupv quarters in several thousand feet
of floor space and equipped with the most modern ma-
chinery for the work. In politics Mr. Smith is inde-
pendent.

On June 10, 1912, in El Paso, Mr. Smith married Mrs.
Lizzie Leech.

Harrt a. Eader. The partner of Mr. Smith in his
business enterprise at El Paso, Harry A. Eader, was
born in Wilkesbarre, Penns.vlvania, 1872, a son of
Thurston and Emma (Knoll) Eader. His father and
mother were both born in Penns.vlvania and the mother
is now living with her son in El Paso at the age of
sixty-four years. The father was for many years a
locomotive engineer, and some years ago moved to El
Paso, where his death occurred' in 1907 at the age of
sixty-two years. There were four chihlren in the family,
of whom Harry A. was the second. His childhood and
early youth w"ere passed in California and El Paso
chiefly, and it was in the public schools of these two



2054



TEXAS AND TEXANS



localities that he attained his education. He left school
before graduating in order to be,i;i" work for the Gal-
veston, Harrisburg & San Antonio Eailway. The occu-
pation for which he was accepted in the employment of
this company was that of coach painter, and he was for
fifteen years at work in the shop of the Southern Pacific
in this trade. Then, in 1908, he established himself as
a partner with Mr. Smith, and they have since conducted
a large business in general manufacturing, paintmg and
trimming.

Fraternally, Mr. Eader is affiliated with the Knights
of Pythias, the Woodmen of the World and the Order
of Elks. In polities he maintains an independent atti-
tude and his church is the Methodist. Mr. Eader has a
large acquaintance among the leading business men of
El Paso, where he has resided for many years, and he
and Mr. Smith well uphold the title of progressive busi-
ness men and citizens.

Fkank a. White. We have all heard of brakemen
who have become railroad presidents and grocer boys
who have become judges, but although we know these
things are true, we feel that they are often exaggerated.
However, in Amarillo, Texas, Frank A. White can tell
a story that sounds as much like fiction as any novel.
Mr White is now one of the most prominent and suc-
cessful business men in the city of Amarillo. He began
life as a messenger boy and has risen through hard
work and pluck and the determination never to sleep at
his post He has had innumerable difficulties to over-
come and his advance has not been aided by good luck.
Whatever he has won he has earned by hard work.

Frank A. White was born in lola, Allen county, Kan-
sas, on the 12th of December, 1S74, the son of Joseph N.
White The latter was a native of the state of Indiana
where he was born in 1837. He grew up in his native
state and when the Civil war broke out he enlisted in the
111th Indiana Infantry. He served as second lieutenant
in his company, being in the Federal service for three
years After the war he returned home, but m 1868
migrated to Kansas where he lived for a time, carrying
on his businoFS as a builder and contractor. In 1880 he
removed to Lees Summit, Missouri, where he resided
until 1887. At the time of his death in 1905 he was
living in Leavenworth, Kansas. Joseph N, White mar-
ried Aliss Katherine Garrettson, a daughter of James L.
Garrettson and a native of Illinois. They were married
in 1868 in Oden, Illinois, and Mrs. White died m 1908
at San Diego, California, at the age of fifty-nine. Three
children were born to Mr. and Mrs. White, and of these
Frank A. White was the youngest.

Frank A. White went to school in Kansas City and
in Lees Summit, Missouri. He had to leave school at
the age of twelve, however, and he gained the remainder
of his education by studying by himself and by wide
reading. As a boy he sold papers in Kansas City and
in Lees Summit, and he also worked as a messenger boy.
His first real position of any importance was with the
Home Telegraph and Signal Company, of Kansas City,
with whom he was apprenticed to learn the business.
He next entered the employ of the Postal Telegraph
Company as delivery clerk and upon leaving their em-
ploy he' entered that of the Interstate Electric Light
Company, being employed in the battery department.
He never lost an opportunity in any of these positions
to learn everything he could' about the business and he
was so valuable an employee that when the company
failed he had no difficulty 'in securing a place with the
Edison Electric Light and Power Company, which is
now known as the Kansas City Electric Light Company.
He entered their offices as station office boy and re-
mained with them for sixteen and a half years. He was
steadily promoted for efficiency, working in turn m
everv department, until in 1906 when he left the employ
of this company he was assistant to the general manager
and one of the' influential men in the company.



In August, 1906, he determined to resign to go into
business for himself. He entered the business world as
a manufacturer of chandeliers and brasses in Kansas
City, but the business proved a failure and Mr. White
lost all that he had saved. He then removed to Texas
and came to Amarillo in the summer of 1907 to take
charge of the Amarillo Water, Light and Power Com-
pany. This company is now known as the City Light
and Water Company and the capital is owned by eastern
investors. Mr. White is now serving as general manager
and his work while with this company has won much
admiration, for the position has been a difficult one.
In March, 1909, the company was put into the hands
of Mr. White, as receiver, by the United States courts,
he having been manager for eighteen months. In the
month of June, 1912, he was able to return the company
to its original owners, having increased the business
fourfold. He was able to liquidate every indebtedness,
giving one hundred cents on the dollar, and giving a
very nice dividend to the stockholders. It was a big
task and he handled it in a masterly manner.

In addition to his work as general manager of the
above company, he is vice president of the First State
Bank and also a director and general manager of the
Amarillo Street Eailway Company. He is a member of
the Chamber of Commerce and has been treasurer of the
traffic bureau for the past five years.

In politics Mr. White is a member of the Democratic
party. He has never cared to hold office and of late
has taken no active part in politics. He is a member
of the Knights of Pythias, of the Benevolent Protective
Order of Elks, and of the Eejuvenated Sons of Jove.
In religious matters he is a member of the Presbyterian
church. He cares little for fraternal or social affairs,
being devoted to his family and finding his recreation in
his home.

Mr. White was married in Leavenworth, Kansas, on
the 12th of September, 1893, to Miss Isabel Stone, who
was a native of Oakland, California, and a daughter of
Jefferson and Minnie Stone. Five children have been
born to Mr. and Mrs. White: Euth Katherine, born
June 24, 1895, died at the age of three years; Eugene
G. was born in Leavenworth, Kansas, on the 3rd of
October, 1898; Harry Morton, born December 30, 1901,
died aged ten years; Frank A., Jr., was born in Ama-
rillo, October 18. 1908; James L. is also a native of
Amarillo, where he was born on the 8th of January,
1912.

Thomas Jefferson McCamant, M. D. One of the
best known residents in this section of Texas is Thomas
Jefferson McCamant, of El Paso, Texas. He has been
for many vears engaged in the practice of his profession
in this pa'rt of the state and has won a reputation for
skillful work and for closely following the high ideals
of his profession. He has held a number of public posi-
tions, being keenly interested in politics and in civic
matters, and he has filled each post with honor to him-
self and to the great satisfaction of his many and warm
friends.

Thomas Jefferson McCamant was born at Glenrose,
Texas, on the 27th of November, 1874. He is a son of
William Graham McCamant, who was born in Old Town,
Virginia. William McCamant left his native state in
1854 and came to Texas overland, making the journey
in a prairie schooner. He wa-s a well known civil and
mechanical engineer and was the government surveyor
for the counties of Erath, Hood and Somerville, living
during that time in the three counties, but never changed
his repidence. because Hood and Somerville were orig-
inally contained in Erath. He was the first settler in
Somerville county, and previous to locating in this
county he lived for a time at Greenville, Texas. He was
in the frontier service against the Indians under the
command of Major Valentine, and was in a number of
Indian raids, in all of which he was so fortunate as



TEXAS AND TEXANS



2055



to come out unscathed. He was later a member of one
of tlie Texas regiments that fought on the side of the
Confederacy during the Civil war. He died at Glen-
rose, Texas, in 1S84. William MeCamant married Susan
Gardner, who was born and reared in Virginia, and there
received her education. She was married in her native
state and came to Texas with her husband, being an
able helper to him in those early pioneer days. She was
the first member of the Presbyterian church to settle in
Somervilie county, and when that church was organized
in the county there were only two members, Mrs. Me-
Camant and a gentleman by the name of Mr. David-
son. During the war she made many of the clothes that
were worn by the Texas soldiers at the front. Mrs. Me-
Camant died" in Glenrose in 1SS6 at the age of sixty-
three. Three children were born to William MeCamant
and his wife. The eldest, Mrs. lola Graham Thompson,
was born at Cranberry, Texas, and died in Meridian,
Texas, in 1S98. Mrs. Margerie Bobinson, the second
child, is still living in the old homestead at Glenrote.

Doctor MeCamant was the youngest of the three chil-
dren, and, although he was born where Glenrose is now
located, at the time of his birth it was a single log cabin
a half mile southwest of Barnum's Mill. He attended
the old school, known as Presbyterian College, at Glen-
rose, and here he was graduated in 1894 with the degree
of B. S. After this he worked for a few years in a
drug store in Glenrose and then determined to pursue
his scientific studies further and become a physician. He
therefore took up the study of medicine in the medical
department of Port Worth University, and in 1902 was
graduated with a cum laude, a high honor. He began
to practice in Aspermont, Texas, and remained there
for nine years, during which time he built up a flourish-
ing practice. While living in Aspermont he took an ac-
tive part in the political affairs of the community and
was chairman of the Democratic committee for Stone-
wall county. He was also campaign manager in Stone-
wall county for W. E. Smith in both of his campaigns for
Congress.

In 1911 he was appointed state quarantine officer by
Governor Colquitt, and in February of that year he came
to El Paso, making this city his headquarters. He has
taken up his general practice also since coming here
and this, together with the duties attaching to his public
position, make him a very busy man. He has a large
practice and is generally recognized as one of the most
successful physicians in /this city.

The doctor is a member of the American Medical As-
sociation, of the Texas State Medical Society and of the
El Paso County Medical Society. In politics he is a
member of the Democratic party. He has always taken
a deep interest in the various fraternal societies to which
he belongs and he has lieen an active member of the
Masons for nianv vcais. He is a mi'inlicr nt' llu' Knights
Templar of ll:isi;'rll, Trx^is is .-i XoLlr ..( 111,. Mv.stic
Shrine, beli.ii-m- to y\:,\.]:, Tfiiipl.., m i:i l':,-.i. imd he
is also a Eoyal Ar.-h Masuu, Ijelougiiii; to Ludyr No. 1.57.
He holds membership in the Benevolent and Protective
Order of Elks, No. 187. of El Paso, and the Loyal "Order
of the MooFe. No. .526.

In 1912 Doctor MeCamant won much praise and made
a number of bitter enemies through his work as the in-
vestigator of the illegal practitioners of medicine, an
investigation that resulted in the indictment of ten
illegal practitioners and in the departure of several from
the'citv.

On the 13th of May, 1901, Doctor MeCamant was
married to Miss Helen Livermore, of Denver, Colorado,
the only daughter of W. B. Livermore, who now lives in
■^^Tiillets, California. Doctor and Mrs. MeCamant have
no children.

Doctor MeCamant believes that El Paso will become
the leading city in the state in time, and he is especially
enthusiastic over the local administration, saying that
it is one of the best governed cities in the state, every



improvement that has been made having been carried
by the vote of the people. Personally he hopes that he
may spend the balance of his life in this city, where he
has made so many friends.

William K. Schutz. A solid business enterprise of
El Paso has a history of its own which illustrates both
the progress of the town and the career of one of its
foremost citizens. This is the El Paso Piano Company,
of which Mr. William E. Schutz is proprietor and sole
owner, and which is the largest concern of its kind in
western Texas. Mr. Schutz in 1900 entered the employ
of this piano company at a salary of $30 per month.
In 190-i he had so thoroughly learned the business and
become so energetic a factor therein that he was made
a partner, and in 1908 became its sole owner. In 1910
he bought the piano department in the general business
of the W. G. Walz Company, and in the same year
erected his own building on his lots at the corner of
Myrtle and Campbell streets.

William E. Schutz was born in Hanover, Germany,
May 15, 1883, a son of S. C. and Frieda Schutz. Both
parents were natives of Germany, the father being a
prosperous merchant. The father" first came to Texas in
1865 and located at El Paso when it was a small village,
consisting of only a few buildings and inhabited almost
entirely by Mexicans. He crossed the plains from San
Antonio, and it required six weeks for his wagons to
make the overland trip, during which several encounters
were had with the hostile Indians on the way. Several
years later the father returned to Germany, where he
remained a number of years. He subsequently returned
to El Paso, when it was beginning its modern develop-
ment, and was at one time mayor of the city, besides
holding various other places of responsibility and trust.
The father, who is still living, is now a resident of
Mexico City, at the age of sixty-eight years. He is
president of the Los Ocotes Mining and Milling Com-
pany, whose offices are in Mexico City, and the mines
located in the state of Michoacan, Mexico. The mines
are silver and gold property, and exceedingly profitable.
The mother died in El Paso in 1899 at the age of forty-
eight, and of their six children one is now deceased and
the others are named as follows: Mrs. Dr. Gustav Hof-
gaard, of Fredrikshald, Norway; A. E. Schutz, of El
Paso; H. H. Schutz, of Los Lumas, New Mexico; Wil-
liam R., of El Paso, and Mrs. J. E. Dutcher, of El Paso.
Mr. W. E. Schutz was reared in El Paso, attended the
local schools and immediately after his graduation from
the high school in 1900 entered the employ of the Piano
Company and began his rapid rise to business success
and independence. He is affiliated with the Order of
Elks in El Paso. In politics he is independent. He
enjoys a large circle of friends, is very popular in the
young society circles of the city, and his principal di-
version is automobiling.

H.\RWOOD J. SiMMOXS. Successively chief engineer,
superintendent, and now general manager of the El Paso
& .'-Southwesforn Bailway System, Mr. Simmons began his
career as an engineer when aliout twenty years of age,
and has been identified in similar capacities with some
of the largest railway systems of the southwest.

Harwood J. Simmons was born near Adairsville, in
Logan county, Kentucky, one of the two children of
Bichard M. and Nannie (Farmer) Simmons, natives
respectively of Kentucky and Tennessee, and both now
deceased. The mother died when Mr. Simmons was
four years of age. The father was for four years a
soldier in the Confederate army, serving under General
Forrest and being wounded at the battle of Shiloh.
After the war he became a successful mill owner and
planter in Logan county and at Adairsville. The other
child in the family was Lennie, now the wife of J. S.
I7ambert, a resident of Bay Minette, Alabama.

Harwood J. Simmons attained his early education in



Online LibraryFrancis White JohnsonA history of Texas and Texans (Volume 4) → online text (page 149 of 177)