Francis White Johnson.

A history of Texas and Texans (Volume 4) online

. (page 155 of 177)
Online LibraryFrancis White JohnsonA history of Texas and Texans (Volume 4) → online text (page 155 of 177)
Font size
QR-code for this ebook


with sterling civic qualities and large achievements in
affairs. A resident of this city since the early railroad
era, he had contributed much to the upbuilding and
growth of early El Paso, and to the end of his life was
not only recognized as one who had done much for the
material city, but also as one whose personal character
and influence were invaluable factors to the community.



Robert Fulton Campbell was born iu Memphis, Ten-
nessee, May 16, 18.36, a son of Duncan and Nancy
(Anderson) Campbell, both natives of Tennessee. The
mother was descendant of an old family of that city.
The father served as a soldier in the war of IS 12 and
then for many years was a large planter in Tt'iincs^pe.
In 1840 Duncan Campbell brought his wilr :iii.| ilinr
son, Robert F., to Texas, locating in I;;i-iim|i >,.:,iiiy.
where he bought a large amount of land .md \\:is .xtrn-
sively engaged in its cultivation up to tlie time ol his
death. He also had a large store and harness and
saddlery factory at Bastrop.

Robert F. Campbell received his education in the
country schools of Bastrop county and when he was
seventeen years of age began his practical experience
in the saddlery business conducted by his father. He
learned all the details of the trade in making saddles
and harness, and at the end of his apprenticeship found
that the business was not in the line of his inclinations.
He therefore directed his attention to other lines and
his enterprise from that time forward was in a continu-
ally larger circle and he gaineil a place in business
affairs. From Bastrop, where he held many important
political offices, often holding two and three at one
time, as was permissible in those days, he moved to
Austin, where he was appointed revenue collector by
President Garfield. He held this position for four years,
when he came to El Paso.

It was in 1882, about the time the first railroad had
been built into El Paso, that ilr. Campbell located liere.
He was one of the early settlers, who recognized the
possibilities and the almost inevitable development of
this city, and fortified by that confidence he lionglit a
large amount of real estate which he improved and
developed and a large amount of whicli is still owtied
by bis family, some of it being located in the very heart
of the modern city of El Paso. Mr. Campbell 's fore-
sight and taste in thus taking hold of a country whose
value at the time was only potential must always be
regarded as his chief ■contribution to the early develop-
men't of this city. During the remaining years of his
life he gave all his attention to the care and manage-
ment of his realty interests in El Paso.

At the same time he manifested his splendid public
spirit by accepting various offices of responsibilities in
the community and served in the office of United States
revenue collector, as postmaster of El Paso and for one
term as mayor. It is said that he was the only Repub-
lican mayor ever elected in the state of Texas on a
Republican ticket. In the early years he was the largest
individual owner of real estate in the city and most of
his business consisted in trading and buying and selling,
but never as a broker, always dealing" for himself and
with his own resources. He was a man of large acquaint-
ance in public life, was an influential man in the Re-
publican party and was i>ersoually acquainted with many
of the leaders of the partv. Among his personal friends
was the late President Mclvinley. and ilr. Campbell was
always a welcome visitor at the White House during the
administration of Mr. McKinley. Both in his private
and civic life, the late >lr. Campbell manifested the best
qualities of charity and was never known to refuse aid
to a worthy cause, and his name was associated with a
great many movements and undertakings which were
important in the institutional and benevolent life of the
city. He had no affiliations with fraternities or clubs
and was a devout member of the Christian church. The
best qualities of his affection he reserved for his home
and family and among them his memory is most secure,
^ir. Campbell married Jliss Thebe Irene Wallace, whose
father was James P. Wallace, of Bastrop county, known
as a Texas pioneer. Indian fighter and a prominent factor
in state politics and official affairs. Eight children were
born to Mr. and Mrs. Campbell and the five now living
are mentioned as follows: ' Lum F., a resident of Den-
ver, who married Elizabeth Cody ; Adele, now a resident



2072



TEXAS AND TEXANS



of New York City and widow of Parry Wright; Staf-
ford, a resident of El Paso, wlio married Miss Edith
Dedrick; Edgar E., of San Antonio, who was twice mar-
ried, bis second wife being Mrs. Flora Bugh; and Mrs.
Alfred Aloe, wife of Captain Aloe of the United States
army, now stationed at Galveston.

The late Mr. Campbell began life without financial aid
or influential assistance and through his own efforts
created a generous prosperity for his family and used
his resources for the substantial benefit of his commu-
nity and humanity. His body now rests in beautiful
Evergreen cemetery at El Paso. Mrs. Campbell resides
in a "beautiful home at 701 Masa street. The late Mr.
Campbell was a member of the Texas Pioneer Society.
A short time after his death the home suffered another
bereavement in the death of Mr. Edgar E. Campbell 'a
first wife. She left a beautiful baby daughter christened
Irene, who was legally adopted by her grandmother,
Mrs. Campbell, and in her care and companionship Mrs.
Campbell has found her greatest joy, the two being in-
separable in their devotion to each other.

James A. Drane. It is not often that a man goes into
a community and wins personal popularity and public
respect as rapidly as has James A. Drane of Pecos, Texas.
He has only lived in this city a few years but he is
already one of its well known men, and in 1912 was
elected to the ofiice of county attorney. Mr. Drane has
received a splendid education, is a conscientious worker
and endowed with a legal cast of mind, his success
was, therefore, to be expected, but that it has come so
soon is owing as largely to his ability to make friends
as to any of his other qualities. He has made a fine
record in his present office and has won the confidence
and respect of his brother lawyers as well as of the
public.

James A. Drane was born in Chester, Mississippi, on
the 2d of May, 1S83. His father was James Drane
and his mother was Belle (Hemphill) Drane. His father
was also a lawyer and was a prominent member of
the Mississippi bar, being a member of the Mississippi
legislature just prior to his death.

Much attention was given to the education of James A.
Drane and after completing his elementary education
he was sent to the French Camp Academy at French
Camp, Mississippi, where he received a fine literary
education. He then entered the University of Missis-
sippi, where he spent three years and then took the
law course at Cumberland University at Lebanon, Ten-
nessee, graduating with the class of 1907.

After being graduated from college he went to Okla-
homa and in 1908 established himself at South Mc-
Alester where his 'first position was that of deputy clerk
of the county court. He filled this position for a year
and a half and then began the practice of law. He fol-
lowed his profession for two years in South McAlester,
and then removed to Kiowa, Oklahoma, where he re-
mained a year, engaged in the practice of his profession.
In October, 1910, he came to Pecos and became a member
of the firm of Buck and Drane, and they have conducted
a successful business since that time. In 1912 Mr.
Drane was elected county attorney on the Democratic
ticket, and he is now serving in this office. He has al-
ways been an active worker in the Democratic party.

In the fraternal world Mr. Drane is a member of
the Ancient Free and Accepted Masons and of the
Knights of Pythias. He is also a member of the college
fraternity, Phi Delta Theta, and he is an active mem-
ber of the County Bar Association.

Mr. Drane is the owner of forty acres of fine irrigable
land in Reeves county, near Pecos, and here he intends
to make his permanent home. He believes that Reeves
county and this section of Texas has a fine future.

William F. Weeks. A young attorney who has made
a brilliant beginning in his profession at Wichita Falls,



and whose future looks exceedingly bright to his friends,
William F. Weeks belongs to one of the old families
of North Texas, and has spent practically all his career
in this section of the state.

William F. Weeks was born at Fort Worth, Septem-
ber 13, 1888, a son of William Curtis and Ella (Potter)
W'ecks. Both parents were born in Texas in Cooke
county, and the grandparents on both sides came to this
state in the early days from Georgia. Grandfather John
W. Weeks died in 1895 at the age of sixty years, and
his wife was Idris Louise (Sparks) Weeks. Grandfather
Captain C. C. Potter was an Indian fighter and pioneer
of North and West Texas, and one of the splendid old
pioneers of Cooke county. William C. Weeks, the father,
has for many years been in the brick and contracting
business at Arlington, and has also been prominent in the
light and water works and in road building in Tarrant
county and elsewhere. He served as mayor and in other
public offices at Arlington, where he now resides at the
age of fifty-three. The mother who was educated and
was married at Bowie, Texas, died July 6, 1912, at the
age of fifty-one. There were two sons and two daughters
in the family, of whom the Wichita Falls lawyer was
the second in order of birth. While growing up he
was given the best advantages of school, and attended
the Carlisle Military Academy in Austin, and White's
Academic School of that city and was graduated in the
law department of the University of Texas. He took
his bar examination in 1908 at the age of nineteen and
then went east to Yale University, where he graduated
in June, 1909. With this excellent equipment for prac-
tical life he returned to Texas, and opened his office in
Wichita Falls, where in the past four years he has buUt
up a good clientage and is regarded as one of the at-
torneys who can best be trusted with important liti-
gated interests.

Mr. Weeks is a Democrat in politics, is a member of
Alpha Sigma Phi College Fraternity, and the Benevolent
anil Protective Order of Elks. His church is the Pres-
byterian. At Wichita Falls on AprO 14, 1910, Mr.
Weeks married Miss Katherine Louise Avis, who was
born in Wichita county, a daughter of J. D. and Minnie
(Bush) Avis. Her parents both reside at WSchita Falls,
and were old settlers of North Texas. The children of
Mr. and Mrs. Weeks are: Katherine Avis Weeks, born
at Wichita Falls, August 23, 1911, and Ella Potter
Weeks, born January 25, 1913. Mr. Weeks and family
occupy a beautiful home in Wichita Falls, and stand
high in the social circles of the city. He is fond of all
outdoor recreations, and is popular both in and out of
his profession.

Henry C. Zimmer. Among the men to whom Texas
has spelled success should be mentioned Henr}' C. Zim-
mer, of Pecos, Texas. One of the oldest and best known
residents of Pecos, Mr. Zimmer began his life here in
a humble way, but has prospered with the growth erf
the town until he is now one of the influential business
men of the city. He is the owner of the largest ex-
clusive hardware and farm machinery business in Pecos
and his success has been entirely due to his own efforts,
for he came to Pecos with practically nothing.

Henry C. Zimmer was born on the 10th of January,
18(3-4, in Saint Francis county, Missouri, the son of
John and Mary Anna (Mazer) Zimmer. Both of his
parents were born in Germany and were married in the
old country. Upon coming to this country they located
in Saint Francis county and there they lived until they
died. John Zimmer was a farmer and died at the age
of seventy -three years. His wife died in 1866. They
reared a family of nine children and two of their sons,
John and Joe, gave their lives for the cause of the
Confederacy.

Henry C. Zimmer was the youngest of his parents'
children and is the only one who has settled in Texas.
He attended the public schools of Saint Francis county




o^,. /^^^i^ti^jy (M J^,



i



TEXAS AND TEXANS



2073



until he was fourteen years of age, when having been
left an orphan, it was necessary for him to go to work.
He first found emijloynient in a brick yard in Saint
Francis county, spending one summer in this work. He
then decided that he would learn some trade and se-
lected that of blacksmithing and horseshoeing. He
learned this trade thoroughly at Farmington, Missouri,
and at the age of twenty-one determined to go to Cali-
fornia. He made the long journey but did not find the
country to his liking and so started on his way back.
Upon his arrival in Dallas, Texas, he determined to lo-
cate here for a time and worked as a journeyman in
Dallas for three years. At the end of this time, having
saved his earnings, he came to Pecos, this being in
188(5. Here he went into business for himself and
as the years rolled by he became prominent and pros-
perous. The business which he founded was a black-
smithing and wagon manufacturing business and for
twenty-two years he managed this with much success.
During this time he was widely recognized as a man
with a big store of common sense and with an especial
adaptability for public affairs. Consequently he was
placed in public offices many times and would still be
serving in office, very likely, were it not that he refused
tu arrrjit aiiv UHirc political honors. In 1909 he sold
the liii^iiir^s wliirli liad won him prosperity and in
Apiil ni tliai vi'.ir lie ..[icued a general hardware store
on the liest cmiier nf the main business street of Pecos.
This business has been very successful and Mr. Zim-
mer carries a modern and well selected stock.

Mr. Zimmer owns large real estate interests in Pecos
and his own home should be included among these.

In politics Mr. Zimmer is a member of the Republi-
can party. He has held the office of county commis-
sioner for three terms, and that of justice of the peace
for one term, but his work during his five years as
mayor of Pecos brought him the most renown in a po-
litical way, for he was one of the best executive officers
that Pecos has ever had.

Mr. Zimmer is a member of the Homesteaders and
belongs to the Independent Order of Odd Fellows and
to the Woodmen of the World. In religious matters
he is a member of the Roman Catholic church.

On the oth of April, 1891, Mr. Zimmer was married
to Miss Fannie Mitchell, who was born in WSse county,
Texas, the daughter of Mark and Eliza (Pope) Mitchell.
Four children have been born to Mr. and Mrs. Zimmer.
Anna and Frances, who are twins, Elizabeth and Ethel.
Anna is a teacher in the public schools of Pecos, Frances
is a bookkeeper and stenographer and assists her father
in his business, Elizabeth is also a stenographer and
Ethel is still in school.

Hon. T. J. Hefner. One of the most prominent
lawyers and influential men of western Texas is Judge
T. J. Hefner, of Pecos. He has been engaged in the
practice of law for many years in this section of the
state, and has not only gained a reputation for being
one of the most successful attorneys in the district, but
also for being one of the most upright and distinguished
citizens this section of the state may claim. He is him-
self a native of Texas and practically his whole life
has been given to the study and administration of her
laws. He is widely respected and liked and with his
splendid character and broad intellect he has ever been
a good influence in the life of the town.

T. J. Hefner was born near Lagrange, in Fayette
county, Texas, on the 29th of April, 1S5S. His father
was Balser Hefner, and he was born in Virginia. He
married Cynthia Dixon Slack, who was a native of Texas
and in the early fifties settled in Fayette county, Texas.
Here he became a stock raiser and farmer and was also
the owner of a prosperous mill. During the Civil war
Balser Hefner served in the Confederate army, serving
most of the time in Galveston. He died at the age of
sixty-nine, in Weimer, Colorado countv, Texas. His

Vol. IV— 31



wife now resides in Weimer, with a son and daughter,
having reached the age of seventy-five years.

Kine children were born to Balser Hefner and his
wife, two of whom are deceased. Of these chQdren
Judge Hefner is the eldest. William J. Hefner, the
next son, is a prominent merchant and banker in El
Campo, Texas. Jennie Hefner married James H. Gil-
lespie, who is a man prominent throughout the state.
They now reside in Dallas, and Mr. Gillespie was for
many years superintendent of the deaf and dumb asylum
at Austin. Mary is now the wife of George Herder, a
leading merchant of Weimer, Texas. Lorena is Mrs.
James Halloway, her husband being a merchant in Waco,
Texas. Samuel Hefner is a prominent farmer and stock
man of Dewitt, Texas. Maud Hefner and Balser Hef-
ner reside with their mother in Weimer. Emma Hefner
is now Mrs. Wolf of Houston, Texas.

Judge Hefner received his early education in the pub-
lie schools of Fayette county, Texas, and was then sent
to Trinity University. He left the university when
he was twenty-two years of age and his first work was
as a school teacher. He taught school in Hunt, Lavaca,
Eastland and Stephens counties, remaining a year in each
county. He did not, however, intend to make pedagogy
his life work and as soon as he left the university he
began to spend all of his spare time delving into law
books. He saved what money he could during his years
as a teacher and at the end of this time he entered
the law offices of Timmins and Brown in Lagrange,
Texas. Here he spent one year in study and in 1885
was admitted to the bar.

In the fall of 1885 Mr. Hefner began the practice
of his profession in Pecos, then one of the frontier
towns of the state. He has been in active practice in
Reeves county ever since that time but his practice
has not been confined to one county, but has extended
over this whole western section of Texas. For fourteen
years he served Reeves county as couuty judge and for
three terms he was county attorney for this same county.
His entire time has been given to his profession and
neither politics nor business have interested him. Four
years ago Judge Hefner met with a serious accident
which has necessitated his taking care of himself and
part of the time he is compelled to remain at home.
This would be a great hardship for so active and
energetic a man as the judge were it not that he has
a delightful family and also a fine library in which he
delights to spend his leisure time among his books.

In politics Judge Hefner is a member of the Demo-
cratic party and in religious matters both the judge and
his wife are members of the Baptist church. He be-
longs to the Ancient Free and Accepted Masons, being
a Royal Arch Mason, and he is also a member of the
Knights of Pythias.

On Christmas Day, 1SS3, Judge Hefner was married
to Miss Ann Eliza Morgan, who was a native of Colo-
rado, Texas. She is the daughter of William I. and
SaUie (Holman) Morgan, both of whom are natives of
Alabama. Mr. Morgan is a prominent farmer and stock-
man, and her parents were pioueers of Texas. Xine
children have been born to Judge and Mrs. Hefner,
of whom one is deceased. Ettie May, the eldest, is
the widow of Whalen Medaris and now makes her home
in Pecos. Clara married Joseph A. Dean and lives in
Deming, New Mexico. Thomas C. Hefner is employed
in a clerical capacity in a wholesale grocery house in
Dallas. Robert L., of Deming, New Mexico, Charles
N., George Burette, Wlfeliffe, and Balser Dixon, all
live in Pecos with their parents.

Llewellyn Coons, M. D. In the medical fraternity
of Wichita FaUs, only one other physician has been
longer in practice in the city than Dr. Coons, but from
point of time engaged in the profession he is the dean
of the local doctors, having been practicing medicine
for forty-five years, twenty-five years in Fayette county.



2074



TEXAS AND TEXANS



Kentucky, and in Wichita Falls since 1892, the oldest
practicing physician in this city. His standing and
success as a physician and surgeon have been proper- .
tionate to the length of his activities.

Dr. Coons was born at Lexington, Kentucky, May 27,
1S47, the youngest of seven children born to George W.
and Evelina (Johnson) Coons. His father, a native of
Kentucky and a son of Joshua Coons, who was a pioneer
farmer and a large slaveholder, died in 1889 at the age
of seventy years. He was a Democrat in political faith
and a Baptist. The mother was born in Virginia, a
daughter of John J. Johnson, of Culpepper county, Vir-
ginia, and an early settler of Kentucky where he was
a planter and large owner of slaves. The mother died
in 1866, and has seven sons. The paternal ancestry of
Dr. Coons came from Germany before the Eevolutionary
war and on the maternal side he is a descendant of an
English family.

In his native county of Kentucky he attended the
common schools and completed his education at the
University of Louisville where he graduated in medicine
in 1867. He as once took up active practice near Lex-
ington and remained there until 1892, in which year he
removed to Wichita Falls, Texas, where he is now the
second oldest physician in the city. He has general
practice and is regarded as one of the men of excep-
tional ability. He has for the past twelve years served
as an United States pension examiner, and for many
years served as city and county health ofiScer. Dr. Coons
has membership in the county and state medical society,
having served as president of the County Society. He
is assistant surgeon for the Missouri. Kansas & Texas
Eailway, and is chief examiner for a large number of
old-line insurance companies. In polities he is a Dem-
ocrat, and fraternally is affiliated with the Blue Lodge
of Masonry, the Benevolent and Protective Order of
Elks, and the Knights of Pythias. He belongs to the
Chamber of Commerce, and is a member of the Baptist
church. Dr. Coons had assistance from his father while
attending school in his native state, but since leaving
home has depended always upon his own efforts and
ability. He believes Wichita Falls has a finer future
than any city in Texas, and is glad to co-operate with
any movement for the improvement of this commercial
center.

In Fayette county, Kentucky, December 1, 1870, Dr.
Coons married Miss Elizabeth Smith, who was born in
Kentucky in 1853, a daughter of John Smith. Her
mother died when the daughter was two years old. ilrs.
Coons died in Wichita Falls in 1897 at the age of forty-
four, and the four daughters born to their union are
mentioned as follows: Llewella, the deceased wife of
C. D. Keyes; Cora and Dora, twins, both unmarried and
living at home; and Bessie B. Coons, now deceased.
Dr. Coons resides at 150S Burnett street, and his offices
are at 718 Ohio street.

WiLLi.'iM A. Hudson. One of the ablest lawyers in
Pecos. Texas, is William A. Hudson, a man of broad in-
tellectual powers and years of practical experience with
the intricacies of the "law. He has been a resident of
Pecos «ince 1906 and during this time has built up one
of the largest practices in Eeeves county. He is a thor-
ough student, gives his cases much study and careful
preparation, and when he is in the court room his oppo-
nents never find him unprepared on any point in the
case. He has taken a prominent part in the political
and business world of Pecos and has the respect and
friendship of a very large circle, not only on ac/count of
his ability but also on account of his strong character
and the charm of his personality.

William A. Hudson was born in Wilson county, Ten-
nessee, on the 27th of March. 1865. He is the son of
Commodore Perry and Caroline (Hill) Hudson, both
of whom were natives of Kentucky. They both moved
to Wilson county, Tennessee, and there grew to maturity



and were married. In 1868 they moved to Texas and
located in Johnson county, where Mr. Hudson engaged
in farming. Here they lived for ten years and then
moved to Thorp Springs in Hood county, where Mr.
Hudson continued to farm until his death in 1884. He
was buried near Aledo, Parker county, and afterwards
Mrs. Hudson moved with her son to Dallas where she
died in 1905. She now lies buried in Greenwood ceme-
tery in Dallas. During the Civil war Commodore Hudson
served as a scout in General Bragg 's army. He was



Online LibraryFrancis White JohnsonA history of Texas and Texans (Volume 4) → online text (page 155 of 177)