Francis White Johnson.

A history of Texas and Texans (Volume 4) online

. (page 157 of 177)
Online LibraryFrancis White JohnsonA history of Texas and Texans (Volume 4) → online text (page 157 of 177)
Font size
QR-code for this ebook


man. After six years at Clarendon he came to Amarillo
and has since been in business in this city.

Mr. Priddy is an active worker in the Democratic in-
terests. Fraternallv he is affiliated with the Independent

OrdiT t.f Oa,l Fcllowf, tlic Mn.l.^n, W 1 ii of America,

and til.. W linr.i nf Tl,r Wnil.l ,n A 1 1 Kir 1 1 1. .. Mr. I'riddy

is ail artiM' inriiilirr in ilir \''Ak siicTt M.ilin.li^t i-hurch

of Commerce.

At Claude, in Armstrong county, on April 25, 1903, Mr.
Priddy married Miss Nancy Dora Eambow, a daughter
of J. K. Eambow. Her father came to Texas and set-
tled in Milam county more than half a century ago.
The two sons of Mr. Priddy and wife are Horace Peyton
Priddv, born at Clarendon, October 19, 1905, and DeWitt
Clinton Priddy. Jr., born at Amarillo, April 5, 1912.
Mr. I'lidd.v. wliilo gaining success for himself, has been
noti'^l ti.i III- liol|ifulness and charity to others who were
strui;L;liiiy iiloiiu in the harder roads of life. He is an
enthusiastic advocate of Amarillo, which is destined to
be at some time in the not far distant future one of the
great cities of Texas.

Daniel Farkixgton BtTCK:MASTER. Among the former
citizens of Dallas, Daniel Fanington Buckmaster was a
resident from 1885 until his deatli in 1000, performed
services of quiet usefulness as a worker, and left an
honored name among his family and friends.

Daniel F. Buckmaster was lioru in New York city in
1826. His father was a native of Ireland and" his
mother was a French Canadian. He was one of seven
eons, all of whom are now deceased. In his native city
he started to learn his trade as brickmason, and when
he had completed his apprenticeship he pursued his vo-
cation as a journeyman in thirty-six different states of
the Union. He was in the South during the fifties and
entered the Confederate army during the war, serving
four years as a wearer of the gray. After the war he
located at Shreveport, Louisiana, and followed his trade
there until 1885, when he moved to Dallas. He was still
active in his work until a short time before his death.
In politics he was a Democrat and was a member of the
Catholic faith. He belonged to the Bricklayers' Union
in Dallas.

Daniel Farrington Buckmaster was married in 1873 to
Miss Elizabeth Murphy, a native of New York and a
daughter of Mathew and Eose (Murphy) Murphy. Both
her parents were born in Ireland. Mrs." Buckmaster, who
still lives in Dallas, at her home at 4924 Bryan street, is
the only one living of five children born to" her parents.
She herself has been the mother of six children, namely:
Daniel, who died in infancy; Eosa, the widow of Clinton
Tucker, of Dallas, and the" mother of one child, Lueva;
Lawrence, a brickmason at Dallas and unmarried; Ger-
trude, who is a stenographer, and she and her brother
reside with their mother; Annie, also at home, and Stella,
a teacher in the public schools.



2078



TEXAS AND TEXANS



Judge J. J. Stoker, a Confederate soldier in the war
between the states, an educator of ability, serving his
country in oiEcial capacity, always achieving success, and
maintaining a high standard of citizenship, was born
June 24, 1841, in Coosa county, Alabama. His father,
Allen Stoker, was married to Harriet M. Myers in 1839,
and J. J. was the oldest of six children, four sons and
two daughters.

Judge Stoker is of Seotch-Irish-German descent. His
great-grandfather, Bobert Stoker, immigrated to America
just after the Eevolutionary war, settled in North Caro-
lina, and had seven sons, from whom the Stokers are
descended.

J. J. Stoker was educated at Wewoka Academy, in
Coosa county, and in 1861 enlisted in Company I, Third
Regiment, Alabama Infantry, Col. T. Lomax; was at
Norfolk, Virginia, in Billy Mahone 's Brigade, Huger 's
Division, until after the naval battle in Hampton Roads ;
was at Drury's Bluff, below Richmond, when the Fed-
eral fleet ascended the James River, in May, 1862; was
at the battle of Seven Pines, where his regiment lost
heavily. Colonel Lomax being killed.

After this battle the army was reorganized. His
regiment was put in General Rhodes' Alabama Brigade,
D. H. Hill's Division, and when Gen. Stonewall Jackson
joined Gen. E. E. Lee in his attack on Gen. George B.
McClellan, in front of Richmond, with Genera! Jackson 's
corps, he was in the battles of Cold Harbor, White Oak
Bottom and Malvern Hill, in the last of which he was
wounded in the left wrist and permanently disabled from
active service.

He was at home one year, and after the battle of
Gettysburg was assigned to hospital service, but later
detailed to guard Stanton River Bridge, on the Rich-
mond & Danville Railroad, and when Wilson 's cavalry
attempted to raid and burn said bridge, he, with sixty
others, withstood the assault and saved the bridge. A
battalion was then sent to guard this bridge; he was
relieved, and on October 19, 1864, retired from active
service.

He then returned home, and, his father being a slave-
holder, he took charge of the farm, and on April 4, 1865,
was married to Emma Asenath Rawls, who died in 1871.
They had three children, two of whom died, and one,
Annie V., became a teacher of fine ability, now the wife
of George Carmichael, president of the Citizens National
Bank of Hillsboro, Texas.

At eight years of age he became a total abstainer
from alcoholic liquors. A comrade said of him after the
war : "I never knew him to use an oath, take a drink
of whisky, play cards or gamble in any way, in the
army. ' ' Being a total abstainer, it is easy for him to
be a prohibitionist of the liquor traifie, local, state,
nation, world-wide.

Judge Stoker is a Democrat, was a secessionist in 1860,
but accepted the arbitrament of the sword as to the
right of a state to secede from the Union, and with
genuine patriotism and true Southern chivalry has de-
voted himself to the upbuilding of his own beloved South-
land, while not trying to tear down any other section of
our great country.

In 1868 he accidentally shot off his wounded arm, and
in the spring of 1S69 came to Texas, arriving at Waco,
and later went to Hill county. He taught school ten
years and, while teaching, he strove earnestly to prepare
his pupils for the duties of life by giving them proper
instruction and inculcating the highest moral and true
Christian principles, both by precept and example.

In 1878 he married Sarah E. Crook, a sister of Mrs.
T. S. Wade, of Grandview. In 1880 he was elected dis-
trict clerk of Hill county, Texas, and served six years.
He then engaged in the abstract business for several
years and in 1893 removed to Foard county, Texas, and
engaged in farming, and in 1896 was elected county
judge. The county had been organized six years and
was $14,000 in debt. By rigid economy and good finan-
ciering he started the county on the way to prosperity.



and in 1900 removed to Weatherford for the benefit of
her splendid schools, having six daughters to educate.
Five of these have graduated from the high school. The
oldest, Clara May, now the wife of William Block, of
Wynne, Arkansas, is a graduate in music; Sula is re-
markably successful and popular as a teacher ; Margaret
is a graduate of South West Texas Normal, at San
Marcus; Frances is a successful stenographer; Ruth and
Esther, twins, are soon to graduate from Texas Faire-
mont Seminary; the only son, James Allen, is in Los
Angeles, California. They were all members of the
Cumberland Presbyterian Church until the union with
the Presbyterian Church, of which they are all hearty
supporters. They are all workers in the Sunday School
and other institutions and departments of the church.

James N. Bartholow. A former newspaper man and
editor who is well remembered in different sections of
Texas, and who possessed more than ordinary abUity in
literary matters, James N. Bartholow followed his pro-
fession in Dallas for a number of years, and died there
about eighteen years ago.

He was born in Baltimore, Maryland, in 1850, a son
of Elijah and Mary (Given) Bartholow. His father
was an attorney, and was also a jewelry importer, and
at one time was associated with the firm of Tiffany, of
New York Citj-. Both parents are now deceased. The
other children in the family were: John, deceased, and
Fannie, widow of C. Dyer, of Williamsburg, Kansas.

James N. Bartholow grew up in his native state of
Maryland and was educated for the law, but never prac-
ticed the profession. He also studied medicine, but the
pursuit of that was also not attractive, and so far as
known he never had a case. All his tastes and inclina-
tions were for literary work and for books, and it was
this which led him into newspaper work. He came to
Texas, and during his active career was identified with
several journals as editor in different sections of the
state, and was still writing and following his profession
at the time of his death, in 1895. He was a Democrat
in politics and belonged to the Episcopal church. His
widow now owns business and residence property in
Dallas and resides in a comfortable home at 1321 Canton
street.

The late Mr. Bartholow was married in 1867 to Miss
Mary A. Field, a native of ilissouri and a daughter of
James N. and Elizabeth (Yancey) Field. Her father
was a native of Virginia and her mother of Kentucky,
and the former was a planter, a wholesale merchant and
contractor, and possessed exceptional business ability
and gained a modest and comfortable fortune. There
were five children in the Field family, as follows : John
W., deceased; Joel Y., deceased; Martha, wife of Wil-
liam H. Sells, a custom house emjiloye in San Francisco,
California ; Mrs. Bartholow, and Thomas, deceased. Mr.
and Mrs. Bartholow had only one son, Yancy Bartholow,
who was one of the foremost Ijusiness men of Dallas.
He was the originator of the Wholesale Texas Drug
Company and is now president of the Southwestern Sun-
dry Company, of Dallas. He is unmarried, is a man of
large resources, and lives at home with his mother.

Alfred M. Newman, M. D. No character comes in
closer or more earnest touch with frontier life than does
the pioneer physician. His very presence at the bedside
of the isolatedhomesteader is often a potion as powerful
as his pills and his powders, and his sympathy and ad-
vice are far reaching factors for good ia the various
phases of development of any new locality. Dr. Alfred
M. Newman, of Canadian, Texas, belongs to this class
of pioneer physicians. More than two decades ago he
was the only doctor in a territory including nine coun-
ties, and he has been in continuous and successful prac-
tice here ever since. A review of his life is of interest
in this connection, and, brietlT, is as follows:

Alfred M. Newman was born in Adams county, Ohio,
August 29, 1S61, and has in his veins a mixture of



TEXAS AND TEXANS



2079



Scotch-Irish and Pennsylvania Dutch blood, the former
from the paternal side and the latter from the maternal.
His father, John Newman, was born and lived and died
in Ohio. His life was that of the successful farmer and
his age at death was that of seventy-one years. He
passed away in 1885, and his good wife, Ann (Herd-
man) Newman, in 1898. She was born in Ohio in 1819
and her age at death, therefore, was seventy-nine years.
In their family were ten children, of whom Alfred M.
is the youngest.

In the public schools Alfred M. Newman received his
early training, and up to the time he was sixteen he
worked on his father's farm when not attending school.
Then for several years he alternated school teaching
and attending college. He pursued a course of study at
the National Normal University, Lebanon, Ohio, and at
the Medical College of Ohio, Cincinnati. Following his
graduation from the latter institution in 1884, he further
prepared himself for his profession by taking special
work under the guidance of one of the leading surgeons
of Cincinnati. That same year, 1884, he entered upon
the practice of medicine in Burden, Kanas, where he
remained for nine years. In 1891 he came down into
Te.xas and took up his residence in Hemphill county.
Since that date Canadian has been his home and the
surrounding country for many miles his field of practice.
In the early days here he was the only physician in
nine counties. For fifteen years he was physician and
surgeon for the Santa Fe Railroad Company. He is a
member of the District Medical and State Medical Soci-
eties and the American Medical Association. The former
organization covers the counties of Hemphill, Eoberts,
Liscomb, Ochiltree and Wheeler, and its members have
honored Dr. Newman with the office of president. Also
he' served as president of the Canadian school board,
filling the office four years, at all times showing a pro-
gressive public spirit. A local public utility put in opera-
tion by him was the long distance telephone. He organ-
ized the Canadian Long Distance Telephone Company, of
which he was president and treasurer and his son secre-
tary and manager. They built and equipped this con-
cern and operated the line two and a half years, at the
end of which time they sold out to the Bell Telephone
Company. During his residence here Dr. Newman has
acquired large real estate interests, his holdings includ-
ing both farm and town propertv.

July 16, 1884, at Glenn Springs, Lewis county, Ken-
tucky, Dr. Alfred M. Newman and Miss Zora E. Jones,
a native of Kentucky and a daughter of S. S. and Mary
Jones, were united in marriage, and they are the parents
of two children, a son and daughter, 0. Boss Newman
and Jliss Bertha May Newman.

O. Ross Newman was born at Burden, Kansas, Janu-
ary 2, 1SS6. He is a graduate of Armour Institute of
Technolog.v and as an electrical engineer is connected
with the Bell Telephone Company, having charge of
twenty-seven counties in Kansas. He married Jliss Mary
Brooks, and is a resident of Wichita, Kansas. Miss
Bertha May Newn:an is a native of Canadian, Texas,
and was born May 8, 1892. She is a graduate of the
Canadian High School, the Canadian Academy, Baylor
University, and of the State University. She won a
two-year scholarship from the academy which gave her
entrance to the universitv. Miss Newman was married
to C. C. Shaller on May 21, 1913. Mr. Shaller is a
graduate of the legal department of the State Univer-
sity of Texas.

B. F. Cherry. Manager of the Weatherford Water,
Light and Ice Company, and also head of a large drug
company of the city, Mr. Cherry is an alert and enter-
prising young business man. still in his thirties, and has
a record of accomplishment that might well be envied
by many older men.

B. F. Cherry was born March 24, 1876, at Lawryville,
Hardin county, Tennessee, a son of H. J. and Sarah E.
(Alexander) Cherry. The Cherry family is of Scotch



descent and had numerous representations in the state of
Tennessee, where most of them were planters and slave
holilers. Many of the name were Confederate sym-
pathizers, and several served on the Confederate side
in the war. H. J. Cherry, who is now living retired 'in
Parker county at the age of seventy, was a courier for
Gen. Albert Sidney Johnston in the battle of Shiloh
and carried the news of his commander's fatal wound
to General Beauregard. One of his brothers, W. H.
Cherry, of Savannah, Tennessee, was a personal friend
of Gen. U. S. Grant, and General Grant spent the night
of April 5 in the home of \V. H. Cherry just before tlie
liattic Ml' shildh. Thus diic l.rnther was entertaining the

I' niiiiii.-iiMliT, \ihili' .iiiiitlicr was in the army of

tliM Sunili ;ni.| ,ci\iii- iiinl.r General Johnston. Later
this iMiitlici' iiit.']r,.d.Ml tliruuyh General Grant for the
release of H. J. Cherry, who was at the time a prisoner
of war at Rock Island, Illinois. In 1895 the Cherry
famUy moved from Tennessee to Weatherford, Texas,
where the mother died in September, 1904. There were
nine children in the family and the fifth in order of
birth was B. F. Cherry.

His early education was in the Tennessee public
schools, and for two years he was a student in Hardin
College, at Savannah, Tennessee. While living in Ten-
nessee he began his career as a school teacher, and on
coming to Texas, at the beginning of young manhood,
he found a place as clerk in a drug store. For more than
seven years he has been independently identified with
the drug business and is now president of the Sherry-
Akard Drug Company of Weatherford. For the past
three years Mr. Cherry has successfully managed the
Weatherford plant for the supply of water, light and
ice to the citizens of this conmiunity. The water supply
of Weatherford is probably unexcelled by that of any
Texas city. The source of supply is in the Trinity
sands, at a depth of four hundred feet, and the plant has
a capacity of furnishing three hundred thousand gallons
per day. During the three years of Mr. Cherry's man-
agement the water plant has teen maintained "equal to
the demands made upon it, and for the first time in
twenty-five years there has been no shortage of water in
Weatherford, notwithstanding some protracted spells of
dry weather have occurred in this time.

Mr. Cherry in politics has always voted the Democratic
ticket. His fraternal connections for sixteen years have
been with Lone Star Lodge, No. 4, of the Knights of
Pythias, and he also belongs to the Columbia Camp of
Woodmen. He belongs to the Commercial Club and the
Chamber of Commerce in Weatherford, is a steward in
the Methodist Episcopal Church, South, and a very popu-
lar citizen.

On October 25, 1900, at Weatherford, Mr. Cherry mar-
ried a Miss Heiprin, a daughter of 6. N. and Jennie
Heiprin, both of whom were born in Texas. Mr. Heiprin
is now engaged in the real estate business at W'eather-
ford, and was one of the first land surveyors in this
part of the state. Both Mrs. Cherry's parents were
reared in Parker county, and during their lifetime wit-
nessed practically all the changes marking the develop-
ment of this country from the pioneer period to the
modern present. To the marriage of Mr. and Mrs.
Cherry was born, December 22, 1901, a son, George
Franklin Cherry.

Mr. Cherry is an ardent advocate of the possibilities
of Parker county and speaks with enthusiasm of many
things that indicate the resources of this part of the
country. The production of watermelons has given
Parker county a well earned fame, and at the St. Louis
Fair a few years ago ten melons were exhibited whose
aggregate weight . was eleven hundred pounds. These
melons are shipped to all parts of the United States and
several carloads have been sent to Europe.

William D. Cowen. As is usually the case with the
leading business man of a place, William D. Cowen, who



TEXAS AND TEXANS



occupies this position in Pecos, Texas, grew up in the
hard school of experience and his early years were full
of hard knocks. He started in life as a rancher, in the
same way that hundreds of men have started, but he
succeeded where many men have failed, through the
qualities which he possessed of being able to work early
and late and of possessing perseverance enough to cling
to a thing until it was accomplished. He is now one of
the most influential men in the whole of west Texas,
influential not only on account of his wealth, but also
on account of the "strength and force of his personality.

"William David Cowen was born on the 25th of July,
1S51, in Gonzales county, Texas. His father, John Cowen,
was a native of Ireland and his mother, Elizabeth
(Xations) Cowen, was born in ilississippi. When a
young man John Cowen emigrated from Ireland to this
country, settling in South Carolina. He later moved to
Mississippi and there in the fall of 1849 he was mar-
ried to Elizabeth Nations. He came with his wife to
Texas and they located in Gonzales county, near Belman,
where they lived until 1852, when they moved to Fayette
county. Here Jlr. Cowen died in 1886. He spent all
of his life as a rancher and stock raiser. Mrs. Cowen
died in 1892, and of the seven children born of this
union five grew to maturity. Of these Robert B. Cowen
is a prominent farmer near San Marcos, Texas, and
Willis Cowen is a teacher in San Marcos. WiUiam D.
Cowen was the eldest of the children.

Owing to the fact that William Cowen was the eldest
and that his father's family was large, he received only
a limited education, attending the country schools in
the winters and assisting his father or working on the
neighboring ranches during the summers. When he was
old enough to start out for himself he went into cattle
raising on a very small scale in Fayette county. His
herds grew and he later transferred them to Gonzales
county, where he remained until 1883. Then he moved to
Brewster county, and in 1884 came to Eeeves county.
During these eyars he had been continuously successful,
everything that he had undertaken had turned out well,
and this was not due to good luck, but to careful manage-
ment and the use of good sense. In Eeeves county he
operated on a large scale, owning a ranch of thirty
thousand acres, and his Herds had become immense. After
making so fine a success of ranching, he turned to other
fields, and 'S now the leader in all of the important busi-
ness enterprises in Pecos.

Mr. Cowen became the president and is the principal
owner of the Pecos Valley Bank, in 1901. He is a promi-
nent member of the Pecos Land Company and was one
of the leaders in the movement which resulted in the
growth and development of Pecos. He is president of
the Pecos Valley and Southern Eailroad Company and is
one of the largest stockholders in this enterprise. Finan-
cial enterprises have claimed the larger share of his time
of late, and he organized the Bank of Raistow, at
Barstow, Texas, and is vice president of tlie Toyah Citi-
zens' Bank, at Toyah, Texas. He is actively interested
in the welfare of these various institutions and spends
much of his time looking after their affairs.

Mr. Cowen was married on the 3d of January, 1870, to
Miss Josephine Darling, a native of Texas and the daugh-
ter of Socrates Darling, who was one of the early pi-
oneers of Texas, having settled here in 1834, and also
being a veteran of the Mexican war. Mrs. Josephine
Cowen died in 1889 and is buried in Toyah. Six chil-
dren were born of this marriage, as follows : William
Cowen is a prominent rancher of Culberson county,
Texas; Lou married J. L. Duncan and lives in Jeff Davis
county, Texas; John Cowen is a successful ranch owner
of Eeeves county ; Frances is the wife of J. B. Pruett, a
merchant of Pecos ; Sidney Cowen is also successfully
engaged in ranching in Eeeves county, and Myrtle is the
widow of Judge Ben C. Thomas and now makes her
home with her father in Pecos. Mr. Cowen was mar-
ried for the second time in 1891 to Lethia Porter Phil-



lips, the widow of John Phillips, Mrs. Cowen being a
native of the state ot Missouri. One son, Marvin Cowen,
has been born to this marriage, and he is at present a
student in Baylor University, at Dallas, Texas. Mr.
Cowen has taken especial care in seeing that all of his
children received a fair education.

In speaking of the leading business man of a town, a
picture always comes to mind of an arrogant, domineer-
ing sort of a man, who considers himself not only the
owner of the land and buildings of a town, but also of
the people living therein, but one must draw a very
difl'erent picture of WiUiam D. Cowen. He is a plain,
simple business man, modest and of retiring disposition,
prone to consider what he has accomplished in life as
being possible of accomplishment by any man who works
hard enough. He is highly respected and heartily lilied
by his fellow citizens, which is sufiScient evidence that he
does not stoop to take an unfair advantage of his in-
fluence and power.

W.iLTEK Cakuth. The history of settlement at Dallas
and vicinity begins about the middle of the forties. A
few years later, in 1852, the late Walter Caruth arrived
in Dallas county and began a career of activity in busi-
ness and as a good citizen, which continued with in-
creasing esteem from his community until his death,
which occurred at the old Caruth homestead near Dallas,
February 3, 1897. The late Walter Caruth was one of
the pioneer merchants of Dallas and had a store there
for a great many years before the first railroad was
built. He was a veteran of the late war and, though he
never figured in political affairs, was always ready to
help out any worthy cause, whether of civic or benevo-
lent nature.

AValter Caruth was born in AUen county, Kentucky,
February 1, 1826, and was past seventy years of age at



Online LibraryFrancis White JohnsonA history of Texas and Texans (Volume 4) → online text (page 157 of 177)