Francis White Johnson.

A history of Texas and Texans (Volume 4) online

. (page 159 of 177)
Online LibraryFrancis White JohnsonA history of Texas and Texans (Volume 4) → online text (page 159 of 177)
Font size
QR-code for this ebook


his joy must now be complete. ' '

Harry L. Kyle, M. D. For many years prominent
both as a physician and farmer at Frankfort, in Dallas
county, Dr. Harry L. Kyle died at his home there Febru-
ary 7, 1898.

He was born in North Vernon, Indiana, in 184-5,
being one of a family of four children. The sister Kate
is deceased, his brother Thomas lives in California, and
his brother Edward in Cincinnati, Ohio. In his native
state of Indiana he grew up and received his education,
starting out when young to make his own way in the
world. He paid his own way while studying medicine,
and soon after his graduation moved to Texas and set-
tled in Dallas county, at the village of Frankfort. There
he combined medical practice with farming, and after
twenty years moved into the city of Dallas. He was
there only six years, and in that time acquired and
looked after a good practice. A distinguishing char-
acteristic of Dr. Kyle was his love for country life and
farm activities, and" it was this which caused him to give
up his city residence and practice and return to his old
home at Frankfort, where he remained until his death.
He was very prosperous both as a farmer and doctor,
and left his widow an ample competence. She still
owns the farm of two hundred and fifty acres, consid-
ered one of the model country estates of Dallas county,
well improved and all in cultivation. Dr. Kyle was a
Democrat in politics, was a liberal contributor and a
worker in the Methodist church, and was affiliated with
the Masonic Order. Outside of these interests, he spent



2084



TEXAS AND TEXANS



practically no time away from home and family and
was devoted to the charms of his own domestic circle.

In 1877 Dr. Kyle married Miss Carrie M. Harper, who
was born in South Carolina, a daughter of John E. and
Hattie A. (Harkness) Harper. Both her parents were
natives of North Carolina. Her great-grandfather
Harkness came from Ireland when her grandfather was
three weeks old, and settled in South Carolina. John
Harper, her father, grew up in South Carolina, and at
the age of tifteen found a position in a store, and for
many years was engaged in merchandising. He later
moved to Homer, Georgia, where he had a store and
lived there until the war broke out. He then joined
the Confederate army in General Cummins' Brigade, and
went through the entire struggle. At the close of the
war he returned to South Carolina and engaged in busi-
ness there until 1874, when he sold out and moved to
Texas, settling in Denton county. For seven years he
farmed there and then moved to the town of Pilot
Point, where he was in the grocery business until his
death, September 29, 1899. His widow still lives at Pilot
Point. Mrs. Kyle was one of a family of ten children,
mentioned as follows: William J., deceased; Mrs. Kyle;
John B., who died, leaving a family of four children;
James F., a druggist at San Antonio; Hattie, wife of
W. B. Montgomery, of Pilot Point; Robert N., who
died in infancy; Pearl, deceased; Hugh H., a druggist,
of San Antonio; Annie Lee. who died in infancy, and
Catherine, unmarried and living with her mother. Mrs.
Kyle has her home at 3416 Cole avenue, in Dallas.

ElCHARD P. PiNSON. President of the City National
Bank of Forney and the owner of extensive tracts of
land near that town, Bichard P. Pinson is an old-time
Texan, a survivor of the Confederate veterans, and has
made what many would regard as a remarkable material
success, chiefly through the avenue of Texas farming.
His agricultural operations are now considered the
largest in his part of the state. Mr. Pinson has lived
in Texas since 1862, when he came with his father's
family from Jasper county, Missouri, settling in Falls
county, Texas.

Richard P. Pinson was born in Allen county, Ken-
tucky, on August 29, 1835. The Pinson family originally
come from England, settling along the Atlantic coast,
and finally emigrated to North Carolina, living in the
Spartansburg district. From that district Aaron Pinson
and his seven sons entered the Revolutionary army, Aaron
Pinson was the great-grandfather of the Forney banker
and farmer. Some years after the war, Aaron and the
sons moved into Kentucky, taking up land near Bowling
Green. The family scattered from there, Aaron and six
of his sons going into Tennessee, where they spent the
rest of their lives. The oldest son, Gephaniah, remained
in Kentucky, and it is from him that the Texas family
have all descended. Aaron Pinson married a Miss Wells.
Gephaniah married a Miss Venable, and among their
several children was Rev. Josiah F. Pinson, father of
Richard P.

Josiah F. Pinson moved to Missouri in 1841, making
the journey with ox teams and buying a home in the
country near Joplin postoffice. The location was on
Center Creek, about twelve miles east of the postoffice,
and there the family lived until the events of the Civil
war caused it to seek a home in a country where there
was greater uniformity as to political sentiment. Josiah
F. Pinson was a Baptist preacher and was born in Allen
county, Kentucky, in 1807. He was in every way a
southern man and two of his sons became Confederate
soldiers. Rev. Josiah F. Pinson married, first. Miss
Drusilla Burton, a daughter of Drew Burton, a slave-
holding planter of Kentucky. Mrs. Pinson died in Jas-
per county, Missouri, in 1849. Their children were:
Martha, who married Eafe Scott and died in Carroll
county, Missouri ; Jerry, who died of wounds received
in the engagement at Yellow Bayou, Louisiana, while



a Confederate soldier; Eliza J. married Robert De
Graffenried and spent her last years in Hill county,
Texas; Richard P.; Helen, who became the wife of Jo
Hailey and resides at Quanah, Texas; "Virginia, who
married John Joyner and died in Taylor county, Texas;
Sallie, who married Phil Hailey, of Forney; and William
H., a farmer near Forney. Aaron Pinson married for
his second wife Millie Hunt, of Cooper county, Missouri,
but they had no children. The home of Rev. Pinson
continued in Falls eo\inty, Texas, until 1865 when he
bought land near the Orphans ' Home in Dallas county.
There his career for a number of years was that of
farming, with which he combined his active work as a
preacher. He is remembered as a plain man of fair
speech and good business ability and had no ambition
to accumulate wealth. In 1884 he sold his estate and
came to Forney to be near his son, and died here in
1900.

Richard P. Pinson was reared to man's estate in
Jasper county, Missouri, which was his home from the
time he was six years of age. Schools were poor and
widely Scattered in that section of Missouri before the
war and his educational privileges were therefore limited.
He was well trained in the practical affairs of life and
has never suffered any particular handicap when com-
peting with his fellow men. In September, 1861, his
services were offered to the Confederate militia of Mis-
souri and he saw six months of service in southwest
Missouri under General Raines, in Livingston 's Guards,
whose business it was to watch the Kansas Jay-Hawkers
and prevent inroads into the state. He was on the bat-
tlefield of Oak Hills, or AVilson Creek, the day after the
battle was fought and witnessed the great destruction
of life and property in that vicinity. He was also in
hearing of the battle of Carthage at a later date.

On March 25, 1862, Mr. Pinson left Missouri with the
Pinson family mid drove across the Indian Territory
with the st.i.ii iiihl i.tluT property, finding eventually a
place in Trx.i^ \u-]\ ivm.Aed from' the hostilities of war.
Here he bcciiiu- idiMitified with farming and continued
that vocation in Dallas county until 1874. In that year
came his first purchase of land in Kaufman county, and
his home has been in the locality of Forney for nearly
forty years. For his first land "he paid sixteen dollars
an acre and it was considered an improved farm. His
capital when he came to Kaufman was barely sufficient
to pay for this land and the success of his life has been
attained by concentrating his energies and keeping his
faith centered on farming. He soon started to buying
and dealing in land, and some of the fine black land in
Kaufman county was bought by him at a price as low
as four dollars' an acre. Farming and farm making
have been the chief industry of Mr. Pinson for forty
years and he has been responsible for the turning of
hundreds of acres of prairie grass into fertile and pro-
ductive fields. Miles of fences have been built under
his supervision, modest homes have been erected on his
land for the use of his tenants, and with the accumula-
tion of manv hundreds of acres of uplands and bottom
along the east course of the Trinity he has come to be
regarded as the largest farmer of this locality. :\Ir.
Pinson remained in the market for land until it reached
fifty-five dollars an acre, the highest point to which he
believed it possible for land values to go, and since then
has practically ceased to add to his land capital.

Mr. Pinson was one of the organizers of the City
National Bank of Forney in 1902, and has since served
as its president. The vice president is A. F. Duke and
its cashier is James Rhea, with Ed D. McKellar as assist-
ant cashier. Besides the bank, Mr. Pinson assisted in
promoting the establishment of the oil mill at Forney
and is vice president of the company operating that local
plant.

The only political service of Mr. Pinson has been as
alderman of Forney, having been one of the first after
the incorporation of the town. He is a Democrat and




/%^^/i



TEXAS AND TEXANS



2085



has attended a few political conventions. His cliurch is
the Baptist.

In August, 1874, was solemnized in Dallas county the
marriaf^e of Mr. Pinson with Miss Alice E. Widman, a
daughter of Thomas Widman, who came to Texas from
South Carolina before the war. Mrs. Pinson died in
1902 at the age of forty-two. Her children are: Pearl,
the oldest child, who died at the age of fifteen; Thomas,
of Forney, who married lone Gaston; Alice, wife of Dr.
Hudgins, of Forney; Cora, who married E. A. Stallings,
of Terrell — Alice and Cora being twins; James, of
Forney; and Miss Vesta.

Clvde .S. Karkaeits. A young business man whose
ability has secured him rapid promotion and who is now
identified with one of the largest mercantile establish-
ments of Midland, Clyde S. Karkaeits was born in East-
land county, Texas, January 18, 1884. His parents were
J. A. and Amanda Karkaeits. His father, who was of
an Austrian family, came to Texas about 1878, locat-
ing in Eastland county, where he was engaged in farm-
ing until 1890. He then moved to Cisco, where he en-
tered the firm of John T. Creech as clerk in the drug and
grocery business. In 1894 he was elected county clerk
of Eastland county, and that election caused his removal
to the county seat in Eastland. In 1897 he returned to
Cisco and engaged in the gi-ocery business there until
1901. He then went on the road as traveling salesman,
and has continued one of the Texas commercial men ever
since. The mother of Mrs. Karkaeits is of an American
family.

Clyde S. Karkaeits received his education in the public
schools of Texas, and his first employment was with the
Wells-Fargo & Company express. Four years of that
experience prepared him for his next work, and in 1906
he took a position with the Eockwell Brothers &- Com-
pany at Cisco. This business is one of the largest mer-
cantile houses in west Texas, and in 1907 Mr. Karkaeits
was promoted and given charge of the branch house at
Midland, having; tlio in;inagement of the bookkeeping for
the next twn yr.ns. ;iihl in 1911 became the sole manager
of the busiii,^^ ,it Mi. Hand. Much of the success of this
firm in Midliina is .In,, to the capable management of
Mr. Karkaeits. In politics he is a Progressive Demo-
crat and expresses much pleasure at the present national
administration of the party. Fraternally he is affi-
liated with the Masons, the Knights of Pythias, and
the Woodmen of the World. At Midland he is espe-
cially prominent in church work as a member of the
Baptist church. He is deacon and treasurer of the
church and is superintendent of the Sunday school. The
Baptists have the largest and most flourishing congrega-
tion and the finest church edifice in Midland, their mem-
bership being over four hundred, and the Sunday school
enrollment being over two hundred and fifty. There ia
also a vigorous Baptist Young People's Union of the
church.

Mr. Karkaeits was married on September 12, 1905, to
Miss Ethel Patterson, of Cisco, Texas, a daughter of
John F. and Sarah Patterson, her father being now a
retired business man at Cisco. The four children of Mr.
Karkaeits and wife are named Louise, Burette, Clyde S.,
Jr., and Jules.

Frank C. McCorkle, who has recently identified him-
self with the citizenship and business affairs of Midland,
has spent most of his life in this state and is a young
man of much enterprise and successful accomplishment.
He was born June 5, 1880, at Santa Fe, New Mexico,
being the second in a family of five children born to
Henry and Emma B. McCork'le. His father is a master
mechanic in the railway shops at Tvler, Texas, and has
lived in this state since 1881. He has followed his
trade at Tyler for twenty-three years and has a place of
esteem in the citizenship of that city. The mother is
also still living. The McCorkle family is of Scotch-



Irish ancestry, the great-grandfather having immigrated
to America from the north of Ireland, and during the
CivO war having served as a member of the Home
Guards in the Confederate army. He was prominent in
polities and for three terms was county attorney of
Catawba county, North Carolina.

Mr. McCorkle was educated in the public schools of
Tyler and his first business after leaving school was as
clerk in a grocery store at that city. He subsequently
served an apprenticeship in the Southern Pacific Eailway
Sho]>s at Houston as a blacksmith, and later studied
embalming at the Barnes School of Embalming. He
first followed his profession in Tyler, then moved to
Oklahoma, where he was in the undertaking and furni-
ture business, and, selling out his interests there, he
located on January 1, 1912, at Midland, where he is now
engaged in the undertaking business with Mr. T. J.
Powell. He is a Democrat in political faith, is affiliated
with the Masonic Order, the Knights of Pythias, the
Yeomen, the Knights of the Maccabees, and is asso-
ciated with the business men of the city in the Com-
mercial Club of Midland. He and his family worship
in the Baptist church.

On Christmas Day of 1906, Mr. McCorkle was mar-
ried to Miss Mamie E. Justice, of Chappell Hill, Texas,
a daughter of John J. and Mary E. Justice, her father
being a pioneer settler of Washington county. Her
father was a planter and also a merchant at Chappell
Hill. Mr. and Mrs. McCorkle are the parents of two
children, a daughter and a son, namely, Martha Mae and
Francis Marion.



Davi
west T



W.



ox. Among the thriving cities of
ive grown up and gained prosperity
since thr r,,ii>tiu.-tiou of the Texas and Pacific Eaii-
road through this country some thirty years ago, Mid-
land undoubtedly could present as many substantial
proofs of prominence and solid prosperity as any of its
cities along that route of transportation. There have
been a number of progressive and enterprising families
and individuals in Midland, who during the past years
have contributed largely to this present rank and stand-
ing of the city, and of these probably none has done
more in a business way and in public-spirited citizenship
than the Brunson family. Mr. David W. Brunson, presi-
dent of the Midland National Bank, is one of the vital
forces in the progress of this community, and Midland
owes much to his public-spirited leadership. The Midland
National Bank, of which he is president and of which
he was one of the organizers, is the strongest iinancial
institution in Midland county, has a capital stock of
$75,000 and a surplus of half that amount, and ia a
United States depository.

David W. Brunson was born in Lee county, Georgia,
October 1, 1856, a son of Almorane and Eliza (Wood-
ard) Brunson, natives of Georgia, his 'father having
been a prosperous planter and slave owner. Prior to the
war he lived on a generous scale and in true Southern
style. He was a soldier in the Confederate army, and
some years after the war moved out to Texas, locating
in Stephens county in April, 1877. He engaged in stock
raising in that vicinity and lived there until 1887, at
which time he came to' Midland county, which continued
to be his home until his death in 1898, at the age of
eighty-six. His wife had passed away in 1890, and both
now rest in the Midland cemetery. The father, although
he had suffered reverses, especially during his early career
and during the war, recouped his fortunes and gained a
considerable degree of success as a stockman in Texas.
Of the seven children in the parents' family the following
are now living: D. T. Brunson, who is a prominent
farmer at Eosboro, Arkansas; Nancy, wife of J. G.
Pollock, of Eome, Georgia; Mary, "wife of WiUiam
Barnes, of Olkahoma; Susana, widijw of T. A. Wright,
of Midland ; W. H. Brunson, and David W., the Midland
banker.



2086



TEXAS AND TEXANS



Mr. Brunson attained his early education in private
schools in Georgia, and in that state learned all the
duties of farming as conducted on a Georgia plantation.
He was about twenty-one years of age when he came
with the family to Texas, and here became associated
with his father in stock raising. He continued that
partnership actively until his father 's death, at which
time he disposed of most of his ranch interests as con-
ducted jointly, and then located on a ranch of his own
and became very successful and prominent as a stock
raiser. He and" his brother, W. H. Bronson, are the
owners of several large ranches in Glasscock county.
Mr. Brunson became one of the organizers of the Mid-
land National Bank, and he took a prominent part
in the erection of the Llano Hotel, Bank, Office and
Store Building, a structure which cost $140,000 and is
a building which would be a credit to a city twice the
size of Midland. It is a handsome modern structure of
five stories, and is by all means the most conspicuous
landmark in the business district of Midland. Mr.
Brunson is one of the principal owners of the company
which put up and still owns this building. Mr. Brunson
and family also reside in one of the finest homes in
Midland, and is a director in the Home National Bank
at Stanton.

Fraternally he is affiliated with Masonry, in which
he has attained the Kuyal Arch degree, and is a mem-
ber of the Woodmen of the World. His family are
members of the Bajitist church. Mr. Brunson was first
married in Issn to Miss Elizabeth McCarver, who was
born ill lldv.l roiiiity, Georgia, and died in 1882. Their
one SI. II \Mis Williiini W. Brunson. In 1890 Mr. Brunson
married Miss Lulu Veale, a native of Texas and a
daughter of Carroll and Amanda (Abel) Veale. The
SIX children born to their union are named as follows:
Lawton A.; Susie L., a student in Simmons College;
Gilbert C, Lula May, Henry W. Brunson, and David
W., Jr.

Mr. Brunson is first and foremost a friend of educa-
tion. He himself had no opportunity to secure anything
more than a common school training, but does not for
that reason think his own cliildren should be thus
limited, and has spent his means liberally in providing
the best early training for his family. As to Midland
county and this section of west Texas in general, Mr.
Brunson believes its prospects are such that in the course
of a few years this section will rank as one of the most
prosperous in the entire state. From fifty to one hun-
dred feet below the surface there exists an unexhausti-
ble supply of water, and that fact alone is one of the
best assets of the country, and with such an abundance
of water Midland county will become a garden spot,
blessed with one of the finest climates to be found any-
where. This belief concerning the fertility and possi-
bilities of Midland county on the part of Mr. Brunson
is not a vain assertion by any means. He has himself
planted -an orchard, and twenty years ago at that, and
from his trees and vines has obtained such yields as
would convince almost any one of the great possibilities
of this region. His grapes in particulm- im- rrnniikalile,
and single bunches of the Tokay vimrty rui|iu'iitly
weigh from three to four pounds. He iiImi hums iniiiiy
fine peaches. As an example of the publR- siuritudue^s
of Mr. Brunson, it should be stated that he presented
the city of Midland with the land from which is de-
rived the present municipal water supply.

Charles A. Tatlor. Among the merchants and
business men of Midland, Mr. Taylor holds a distinctive
position by reason of his being the pioneer and by many
years the oldest druggist in the city. He came to Mid-
land only a few years after the Texas and Pacific Rail-
road was constructed through this region, and when all
the country around about was devoted entirely to stock
raising. He has been with the town from almost its
beginning, and along with every stage of progress has



been willing to put his shoulder to the wheel and ad-
vance, not only his private prosperity, but the general
welfare of the entire community.

Charles A. Taylor was born July 10, 1852, at Oxford,
North Carolina, and comes of an old and honored South-
ern family', with the best characteristics and culture of
the Southern lineage. His parents were Dr. Leonidas
and Fannie (Worthington) Taylor, the father a native
of North Carolina and the mother of Virginia. As a
citizen and physician Doctor Taylor has a place of pe-
culiar esteem in Oxford, where he was engaged in prac-
tice for sLxty years. He lived to the age of eighty-
nine, and besides his splendid work as a doctor, he was
also prominent in politics and in Masonry, having been
a member of one lodge for sixty years. His wife passed
away at the age of seventy-two, and both are now in-
terred at Oxford, North Carolina. They were the
parents of five children. The first born was William
E., who was a farmer; Charles A.; Lena, who married
I. B. Hines; James Archibald, who was a merchant at
Oxford and is the father of thirteen living children;
Richard .Pelham Taylor, another son, is in business at
Oxford, North Carolina.

Charles A. Taylor completed his preparatory educa-
tion in Professor Horner 's College, in his native town
of Oxford. He left school when seventeen, contrary to
his father's wishes, which were that he should pursue a
university course. Instead he entered a drug store in
his native town, and by practical methods acquired a
thorough knowledge of pharmacy. He was subsequently
located in Petersburg and Danville, Virginia, and spent
ten years as a drug clerk. In 1879 he acted on his de-
termination to come west, and, after arriving at Waco,
his first job was on a sheep ranch in that part of the
state. Two years later he left the ranch and became
employed as pharmacist at Colorado, where he remained
for five years. Mr. Taylor in 1886 came to Midland and
opened a stock of drugs, his being the first exclusive drug
business in the town. He has kept his store in advance
with all the progressive stages of progress, and his es-
tablishment is not only the largest and best of its kind,
but is in a manner one of the landmarks of the city, and
practically everybody in the county knows Taylor 's
Drug Store. Besides this prosperous business he is the
owner of valuable real estate, including a comfortable
residence for himself and family.

Mr. Taylor is a Democrat and an active worker for
his party 's interests in Midland county. He served as
chairman of the Central Committee for two years, but
himself has never aspired to any public honors. He has
been a member of the Independent Order of Odd Fel-
lows since 1872 and his church is the Methodist. In
1882, at Colorado, Texas, he married Miss Irene Wood,
who was born in Erath county, a daughter of I. T. and
Elizabeth (Hooper) Wood. Her parents were among
the pioneer settlers of the state and Mrs. Taylor was
a cousin of Hon. Thomas Hooper of San Antonio. Mrs.
Taylor, now deceased, was the mother of five children,
namely: Thomas W., who is associated with his father
in the drug business; Haves, who was accidentally shot
and killed while hunting' in Midland county in 1908;
l-'auuie Bess, wlio is a higli school graduate and is now
in charge of her father's home; Cordelia, and Lena,



Online LibraryFrancis White JohnsonA history of Texas and Texans (Volume 4) → online text (page 159 of 177)