Francis White Johnson.

A history of Texas and Texans (Volume 4) online

. (page 161 of 177)
Online LibraryFrancis White JohnsonA history of Texas and Texans (Volume 4) → online text (page 161 of 177)
Font size
QR-code for this ebook


A Democrat in politics he takes no active part in pub-
lic affairs as a politician, though for seven years he
served as a member of the city council, and is always



2090



TEXAS AND TEXANS



willing and eager to advance the best interests of his
home locality. He is a member of the Chamber of
Commerce and formerly one of its directors. For a
number of years he served in the Texas State Militia,
and was second lieutenant in the organization knovrn
as the Wichita Eifles. He is a director in the Texas
Eetail State Merchants Association. Fraternally Mr.
Bean is atWiated with the Benevolent and Protective
Order of Elks at Wichita Falls. In this city in March,
1896, he married Miss Bessie M. Bean, a first cousin,
and a daughter uf Lorenzo Dow Bean. Mrs. Bean
died in Wichita Falls April 20, 1911, leaving one son,
Walter L. Bean.

James B. Mablow, of the firm of Marlow & Stone,
Wichita Falls, Texas, has been engaged in real estate
and other business here for the past ten years and is a
factor to be considered in connection with the repre-
sentative business life of the city.

James B. Marlow was born in Grayson county. Texas,
December 4, 1S73, and on his mother's side is de-
scended from early Texas pioneers. His father, P. M.
Marlow, was a native of Missouri, who came to this
state at the beginning of the 60 's and who spent the
rest of his life here as a farmer and stock raiser.
During the Civil war he served as a private in Shelly 's
brigade, his service covering the entire four years of
the war. He died in 1878, in the prime of life, being
only thirty-seven years of age. Politically he was a
Democrat. His wife, who before her marriage was Miss
Carrie Whittaker, was born in Bed Eiver county, Texas,
daughter of Washington Whittaker, whose identity with
Texas dated from 1S31. He settled at Austin that
year, and later, during the Mexican war and the Indian
fighting, acted well the part of a soldier and fron-
tiersman. By trade he was a gunsmith, and he fur-
nished the army with his own make of guns. He ac-
cumulated a large amount of property, including many
slaves, and he lived to the ripe old age of ninety-eight
years. His death occurred in September, 1900. His
wife, Martha (Lawthorne) Whittaker. is still living
in Grayson county, Texas, at the age of ninety-five
years. She came to Texas with her parents and settled
at Austin in 1826. Mrs. Carrie Marlow is the mother
of nine children, eight of whom are living, James B.
being the fourth in order of birth. His mother resides
with him.

James B. Marlow attended the public schools of
"WSchita Falls up to the age of sixteen years. Much of
his early life was spent on the range and farm. About
1903 he engaged in the real estate business, and has
been more or less extensively interested in it ever since.
Also he is interested in farming and stock raising and
the oO business, having organized a number of com-
panies for the drilling of oil wells. He is in partner-
ship with J. W. Stone, and their operations are con-
ducted under the firm name of Marlow & Stone, the office
of the company being at 626 Indiana street.

Mr. Marlow is a member and director of the Chamber
of Commerce, and is identified with numerous fraternal
organizations, including the M. W. A., W. O. W., B. P.
O. E., I. O. O. F., and F. and A. M. In time honored
Masonry he has advanced through the degrees of the
Consistory and Mystic Shrine. Politically he has fol-
lowed in the footsteps of his father, and as a Democrat
has taken an active interest in local politics, without,
however, seeking or filling public oflSce of any kind. As
a member of the Christian church, he is interested in
the various branches of this work, including the Sun-
day school.

Mr. Marlow was married August 23, 1898, to Miss
Sophia Mataska, a native of Texas and a daughter of
Mr. Joseph Mataska. They have three children, all
natives of Wichita Falls, Texas, namely: Joe, born
November 10, 1899; Laura, July 5, 1901, and James



B., Jr., December 31, 1908. The family residence is
2101 Ninth street.

Of Mr. Marlow 's forefathers, it should be further
stated that on the paternal side they came from Scot-
land to America prior to the Eevolutionary war and
settled in Virginia. Illinois and Missouri was the home
of later generations, and, as above indicated, Mr. Mar-
low 's father was born in Missouri. His maternal grand-
father was an Irishman and his maternal grandmother
was of Scotch origin. And with a mixture of Irish
and Scotch blood which came to him through pioneer
and warrior parentage, he was equipped to win his own
way in the world, and this he has done through his
own persevering energies.

Hon. a. H. C.«rigan. For thirty years a member of
the Texas bar, and a former judge of the district court,
Judge Carrigan is head of the law firm of Carrigan,
Montgomery & Brittain, one of the strongest legal part-
nerships in Wichita Falls.

He was born at Hempstead, Arkansas, May 12, 1860.
The founder of the American branch of the Carrigans
was William Carrigan, an Irishman, who settled in
Cabarrus county, of North Carolina, just before the
Eevolutionary war, in which war he served as a soldier
of the American army, and was a farmer by occupa-
tion. On the maternal side, the ancestry also was among
the early settlers of North Carolina. The father of Mr.
Carrigan of Wichita Falls was A. H. Carrigan, Sr., who
was born in North Carolina, moved to Arkansas in
1851, becoming one of the pioneers of that state and
a very prominent man. He is at the present writing
one of the two survivors of Secession Convention of
Arkansas, which voted Arkansas into the Confederacy on
May 6, 1861. He also served as a soldier in Company
H of the Twentieth Arkansas Eegiment, was captain of
his company, and afterwards appointed to lieutenant-
colonel. He was neither wounded or taken prisoner, but
was discharged on account of disabilities. He served
as a member of the House of Eepresentatives and in
the Senate of Arkansas, was county judge of Hempstead
county, and was actively identified" with public affairs in
that state for many years. He was born in 1828 and
now lives at the advanced age of eighty-five in Hope,
Arkansas. He has been a cotton planter, before the war
owned a few slaves and has met with a fair share of
material prosperity. He married Mary Moore, who was
born in North Carolina, a daughter of Samuel Moore,
who moved to Arkansas in 1855. She died in 1901 at
the age of seventy-one, and was the mother of nine
children, of whom the Wichita J?alls lawyer was third.

Judge Carrigan received his literary education in
the University of Arkansas, and then attended the
Cumberland I'niversity of Lebanon, Tennessee. He
graduated from the University of Arkansas A. B. and
received his LL. B. degree from Cumberland University
in 1883. In the same year he took up the active prac-
tice of law in Texark'ana, Texas, where he remained
for several years and in 1888 became a permanent resi-
dent of Wichita Falls, where he is among the oldest
lawyers.

Judge Carrigan has always been one of the firm
Democrats in this section of the state and for twelve
years has served as district judge, having first been
elected in 1898. He is a Knights Templar Mason, also
belongs to the Benevolent and Protective Order of Elks,
and is a director of the Chamber of Commerce. His
church is the Presbyterian.

At Wichita Falls, December 10, 1901, he married
Miss Lulu Barwise, a native of Jlissouri, and a daugh-
ter of J. H. and Lucy Barwise. The four children born
to their marriage are: Annie, a student in the State
University of Texas: Alfred: Joseph, and Elizabeth.
Judge Carrigan is a member of the County Bar Asso-
ciation, and as head of his law firm enjoys a good prac-
tice in all the courts of Wichita county.




k



TEXAS AND TEXANS



2091



Eev. William D. Hammack. The life record of Eev.
William D. Hanimac-k since his coming to Kaufman
county in 1S74, is one notable not alone for bis achieve-
ments in the fields of agriculture and finance, but also
for his long and zealous service in the work of his
Master. Coming here with but little save his youthful
strength of heart, ambition and determination to win,
he has accumulated a handsome financial competency
and has gained also what few men achieve, the esteem
and love of those with whom he has passed so many
years. Eev. Hammack was born in Lee county, Ala-
bama, February 15, 1853, and was reared on a small
farm and in "an upright though humble home. His
father was William B. Hammack, who owned a few slaves
and identified himself with Alabama in the flush of
young manhood. He was born in Georgia in lS2fi, and it
is believed that he left his native state about the year
1S40, although the early separation of our subject from
his parents and his continued living apart from them
precluded his acquiring data regarding the identity of
his forebears of the intimate facts of his immediate
family. William B. Hammack manifil n luiylibor girl.
Miss Susan Ligon, and they passe^l tIkh- livi ., within a
quarter of a mile of where they e^talili^lied their first
home. Mr. Hammack, in some manner, acquired a lib-
eral education, for he taught school in young manhood
and was fitted for equal competition with his fellow
farmers in the race of life. He entered the Confederate
army while the war between the south and north was
in progress and was with General Pemberton 's troops
when they surrendered at Vicksburg in 1863. He was
a supporter of democratic principles, and in his religious
belief was a devout Missionary Baptist. He and his
wife were the parents of the following children: Eugenia,
who married Eobert Short and died at Columbus,
Georgia ; William D.. whose name introduces this re-
view; Pascal H., who died at Abilene, Texas; John D.,
who is carrying on operations on the old family home in
Alabama ; Lee, who resides at Columbus, Georgia ; Villis
W., who passed away at Crandall, Texas; Joseph, who
died at Abilene, Texas; and Inez, who is the wife of
Robert McKinney, of Young county. Texas.

William D. Hammack was urged" by the spirit of em-
pire to seek the West in his youth. He left home with
the blessings of his parents at the age of nineteen
years and went by rail from Loachapoka, Alabama, to
"Xew Orleans, where he took passage on a Mississippi
steamer for Jefferson, Texas, reaching that point after
some ten days of travel. He and his companion, Eobert
McKinnev, who subsequently became his brother-in-law,
boarded a Dallas freight ox-wagon at Jefferson and
spent about ten days covering the distance between that
old historic town and the future metropolis at the forks
of the Trinity. Their destination was Collin county,
where Mr. McKinney 's people lived, and the morning
following his arrival" Mr. Hammack started the serious
part of his independent career.

As a beginning, Mr. Hammack accepted employment
with a farmer, Henry Smith, in Dallas county, at nine
dollars a month, and'remained with him for a period of
three months. His next employer was J. E. Garrett, who
appreciated his services to the extent of paying him
twenty-five dollars for two months' work, and the next
six months he spent with William Housley, at twenty
dollars per month, which concluded his first year of
life in Texas. During these several months he iinproved
an opportunity looking toward a life companionship,
and in Novem"ber, 1873, whe"n but twenty years of age,
he married.

Mr. Hammack began the year 187-t as a hand at
twentv dollars per month and board for "the two" with
Joe S"ullivan and closed the year with the suggestion of
a "nest-egg" which made an end of his career as a
farm laborer. In 1874 he rented land in that locality
and in the fall moved into Kaufman county with his few
family effects and his one horse, which later he had the



misfortune to lose. The next two years he worked on
shares with P. E. Yates, and out of "his profits equipped
himself with a team, and, for the first time, exercised
some independence as a farmer. He then began rent-
ing land for the "third and fourth" and continued it
until 1885, when, having accumulated a small bunch of
cattle and a little surplus money, he moved to Hamil-
ton county, Texas, with the hope of becoming, some
day, a cattle baron of Central Texas. Just what hap-
pened to alter his plans so suddenly does not appear,
but within ten months after his departure from Kauf-
man county he was back here, minus his stock and some
of his money, but, with commendable perseverance,
ready to recuperate his losses behind the plow. Sub-
sequently he bargained for a small tract of land three
miles north of Crandall, a property containing fifty-
five acres, which he could have purchased some years
before at five dollars an acre — and for which be had
possessed the money — but for which he now paid thirty
dollars an acre, giving five notes for the balance of the
purchase money. The little house on the farm sheltered
his family and served as his home, with its changes
and its successor, for many years, and here he wit-
nessed some of the most prosperous years of bis active
life. He brought the tract all under cultivation, pur-
chased the five notes as they came due, added other
lands to his tax values from time to time and even-
tually accumulated two hundred and fifty acres, which,
with other material possessions, form the substantial
character of his holdings at the present time.

In 1899 Mr. Hammack moved into Crandall and for a
few years remained in active conduct of his rural affairs
from this point. He was one of the early settlers of
the new towns, and built his home and a brick business
house as his contribution to the development of the
community. He is vice president of the First National
Bank of Crandall and a member of its oflicial board.
While he has accomplished with much credit the task
of rearing and educating his family, he has not neglected
the spiritual side of man 's nature. He was reared in a
home where Christian influenoe prevailed, but his own
conversion was delayed until 1S74, when at a meeting at
Big Springs, near Dallas, bis heart was touched under the
preaching of Eev. Lockhart and he surrendered and
offered his services in some manner to the forces striv-
ing against sin. A voice called him to preach, and he
qualified by ordination in 1887 at the Mount Calvary
church, north of Crandall. He entered actively into
the work of pastor and into the auxiliary work of the
church and filled several charges about the country,
including a service of eight years as pastor of the church
where he was ordained. He continued the work unfil
1910, when his physical condition rendered him in-
capable of effective and efficient service and he aban-
doned active connection with the ministry as well as
his business affairs. He was a member of the East Fork
Baptist Association, which co-operated with the Church
party during the split in the Baptist church of Texas.

Jlr. Hammack married Miss Mary E. Eogers, whose
father spent his last years and died in Scott county,
Texas. She was born near Forrest, Mississippi, in 1854,
and she and her husband became the parents of the
following children: Eussell P., a farmer of Kaufman
county, who married Maggie McShann ; Henry M., who is
engaged in farming near Kemp. Texas ; John D., a resi-
dent of Groesbeck. Texas, who married Lula Tyra : and
ilartha, who is ilrs. J. W. Webb, of Bosque county,
Texas. The mother of these children died in 189". On
January 4, 1S93, in Kaufman county, Mr. Hammack
married the second time, Mrs. J. >r. Yates, who was
Euth Sealierry. a daughter of Oliver ,qnd Susan (Har-
per) Sealiprry, native of Georgia. The father was a
prominent planter and farmer. By her first marriage
the present Mrs. Hammack had seven children, five of
whom are living, two dying in infancy. Although re-
tired from active participation in business affairs, Mr.



TEXAS AND TEXANS



Hainmaek still evinces a keen interest in all that affects
the welfare of his community, where his well-known in-
tegrity, probity and force of character give him a dis-
tinct influence in the forming of public opinion.

Thomas H. Jacksox. Now manager for the real es-
tate department of the Central Texas Exchange Com-
pany at Waco, Mr. Jackson has had a long and success-
ful career in business att'airs at Waco. Starting in as a
clerk with a mercantile house, he was for seventeen
years continuously identified with tthe fortunes of that
firm, and rose to a responsible place in its employ. Since
then he has been chiefly interested in real estate, and
many regard him as the best posted man on realty values
and i:)roperty conditions in the city.

Thomas H. Jackson was born at Bremond, Robertson
county, Texas, February 3, 1876. His father, George W.
Jackson, who was born in Mexico, Missouri, in 1841,
came to Texas when a child, was for many years a hotel
proprietor at Wootan Wells, in Eobertson county, and
his death occurred in 1S9S. The mother's maiden name
was Lula M. Bennett, who was born in Mississippi in
1840, and still lives at Waco. Their four children were
Thomas H., Lula C, George F. and Willie.

Educated in the Waco public schools, Thomas H. Jack-
son entered upon the serious business of life when twenty
years of age, as an employee in the office of Goldstein-
Migel Company. For ten years he was a bookkeeper and
cashier, and for the following seven years was manager
of the credit department in that establishment. With a
record of seventeen years with one firm, he left to take
up an independent business, and for one year was in the
real estate business with N. T. Cheatam as partner.
The Jackson and Munnerlyn Company was then organ-
ized for the handling of real estate, but at the end of
two years Mr. Jackson sold his interest to Mr. Peoples.
Then in 1913 he took the management of the real estate
department of the Central Texas Exchange Trust Com-
pany, and. in this connection has the supervision of ex-
tensive and valuable interests, affecting the large cli-
entage with which the company does business.

Mr. Jackson was first married at Waco, December 14,
1902, to Carrie B. Washington, who died September 5,
1909. She left one child, Mildred. On August 6, 1911,
Mr. Jackson married Catherine H. Bartholew. Frater-
nally he is a Mason, and is prominent in the Methodist
church affairs, being steward in the Austin Street church,
secretary to the presiding elder and assistant secretary
of the ehur.li. Ho is also secretary of the Waco Adver-
tising Cluli, of W:ic(i, and a director of the State Asso-
ciated Advertising Cluljs. He is a member of the Young
Men 's Business "League and the Waco Young Men 's
Christian Association. Mr. Jackson evinces a fondness
for all outdoor sports, but his business and his home are
the interests nearest his heart.

Gaylord N. Bebout. An individual thoroughly versed
in the laws of the country, as distinguished from the busi-
ness man or the politician, has always been a recognized
power. He has ever been depended upon to conserve the
best and permanent interests of the whole people of his
community, auil without those like him and of his prac-
tical judgment, his deep knowledge and his thorough
training, the efforts of the statesman and the industry of
the worker in the marts of trade and commerce and the
labors of the mechanic would go for naught. The reason
is not far to seek; tlic l:u\yer is never the creature of
chance or circumstamc 'I'll.' inufessiou is open only
to talent, and uo definii.' |iMMi-c .a success can be at-
tained therein save by the at must perseverance, indom-
itable energy, tireless patience and strong mentality.

Among the distinguished members of the Texas legal
profession who have risen to prominence in their chosen
calling through the possession of these qualities, Gaylord
N. Bebout holds a leading position. Although a resi-
dent of this city only since 1913, he has already firmly



established himself in the confidence of the people of
Waco, and in the field of real estate, insurance, corpora-
tion, bonding and civil law has shown himself a worthy
opponent for an.v member of the bar. Mr. Bebout
was born in Knox countv, Ohio, June 27, 1S7S, and is a
son of Aaron S. and Louisa Olive (Newell) Bebout.
His father, a native of Beaver county, Pennsj'lvania,
was born February 7, 1S4S, removing to Knox county,
Ohio, in early youth, and there grew up in a rural com-
munit.v, early adopting the tilling of the soil as the me-
dium through which he would rise to success. He con-
tinued to be engaged in agricultural pursuits in Ohio
until 1882, when he came to Texas and settled in Coryell
county, having decided that the West offered better op-
portunities than either the eastern or middle western
states. Here he settled ou a ranch, devoted himself to
the sheep and cattle business, and through industry,
good management and well directed effort accumulated
a competenc.v, so that he was able to retire and enjoy
the fruits of his early years of labor. At this time he is
living quietly at GatesviUe, and is known as a capitalist,
owning considerable stock in several banks in different
parts of the state, as well as a number of farm proper-
ties in the vicinity of GatesviUe. His life has been one
of industr.v, and his transactions have always been char-
acterized b.y the utmost integrity, so that he retains the
respect and esteem of his fellow-men in marked degree.
Mr. Bebout was married in Ohio, to Miss Louisa Olive
Newell, who was born in the Buckeye State, April 6,
1851, and they became the parents of one son: Gav-
lord N.

Mr. Bebout received his early education in the public
schools of GatesviUe, Texas, having been brought to
Texas as a lad of four .years, following which he at-
tended the schools of Winfield, Kansas, his parents re-
siding at that place for a short time. When his pre-
liminary training was completed, he entered Emporia
College, Emporia, Kansas, where he spent three years
in that institution, and later spent two .vears in Oberlin
College, Oberlin, Ohio. Having decided upon a legal
career, Mr. Bebout next entered the law department of
the University of Michigan, at Ann Arbor, and in 1905
was graduated from that institution with the degree of
Bachelor of Laws. He at once opened an office at Vinita,
Oklahoma, having been admitted to the bar of that state
as well as to the Supreme Courts of Michigan and Kan-
sas, and in the thriving Oklahoma town continued to be
engaged in practice until 1913, at which time he came
to Waco and opened an office at 809 Amicable Life In-
surance Building. Here he has continued in the enjoy-
ment of a large and representative professional business,
making a specialty of real estate, insurance, corporation,
bonding and civillaw. One of Mr. Bebout 's chief char-
acteristics is the careful manner in which he prepares
his cases and the accurate and s.ystematic manner in
which he draws up his legal papers. His preparation
has been thorough, his study is still continuous, and he
is rarely at a loss to find a precedent for any contin-
gency which arises. Among his fellow-practitioners he
is respected as a legist who follows the unwritten ethics
of the profession, and whose courtesy and gentlemanly
bearing make him an honored opponent. In his business
operations, Mr. Bebout has been very successful, and ar
this time he has a number of properties, including valu-
able stock in the Texas Fidelity and Bonding Company
of Waco.

Mr. Bebout was married at Dunkirk, New York, Sep-
tember 12, 1901, to Miss Efie Esler Mann, the daughter
of Horace A. Mann. Mr. Mann is widely known in
amusement circles all over the United States, being man-
ager of the contract department for such great amuse-
ment enterprises as Barnum & Bailey and Forepaugh
Brothers great circuses, a position he has held for many
years. At this time he resides at Syracuse, New York,
and is well known in business circles of that city. One
child has been born to Mr. and Mrs. Bebout: Gaylord



wl



-##




TEXAS AND TEXANS



2093



N., Jr. Mr. Beboiit is a meiiiher of the Young Men 's
Business Le.igue, and is a iiKniiiiirnt ^rasmi, belonging
to the Consistory of MeAnisf<'i. :iimI tlir sluine at Tnlsa,
Oklahoma. He finds his greatrsf |ili',i!<inv in his home,
however, and he has never allowed fiateriiities or polities
to lure him therefrom. He and Mrs. Bebout are con-
sistent members of the Congregational church, and she
has more than a local reputation as a vocalist, being a
leading member of the Eulepiea Club, a singing organ-



Online LibraryFrancis White JohnsonA history of Texas and Texans (Volume 4) → online text (page 161 of 177)