Francis White Johnson.

A history of Texas and Texans (Volume 4) online

. (page 164 of 177)
Online LibraryFrancis White JohnsonA history of Texas and Texans (Volume 4) → online text (page 164 of 177)
Font size
QR-code for this ebook


He therefore established at Waco the leading Democratic
paper in north Texas for many years, the Waco Examiner,
which in time became the official organ of the party in
this section of the state, and one of the most influential
newspaper organs, especially among stockmen and farm-
ers, in the entire southwest, and the official paper of the
Stockmen's Association. The Waco Ejtaiiiiiier. both as
a business enterprise and as a great journal, must always
be considered a monument to the best years of Major
Downs ' career, since for thirty years he was proprietor
and active manager of the Examiner. The wounds in-
flicted during the Civil war eventually compelled him to
retire from the desk as manager of this publication, and
he gave up active newspaper work in 1903. Since then,
so far as he has been able, he has devoted his time to the
management of his plantation and farm, but as a matter
of fact, is living practically a retired life in his home in
Waco. Major Downs some forty years ago acquired much
note in political and agrarian circles of Texas as the of-
ficial organizer for the State Grange. Major Downs
married Miss Fannie L. Sparks, a daughter of C. A. and
H. (McCann) Sparks, of Waco. Their children are John
Wesley, Latham and Grace, all of Waco.

Daniel Austin Kellev. Forty years of active prac-
tice have constituted Mr. Kelley not only one of the pio-
neers of the Waco bar, but one of the oldest and most
esteemed representatives of the legal profession in the
state of Texas. Mr. Kelley was not only one of the early
lawyers, but among the early settlers of the present city
of Waco, which he has witnessed developed from a small
town, before the days of the railroads. He has always
enjoyed a high prestige and influence as a lawyer, for
many years has had his choice of the better class of legal
business, and at the same time has exercised a public-
spirited and worthy influence in the life and affairs of
his community and state.

Daniel Austin Kelley is a native of Wharton, Texas,
and his parents were John and Anna (Moore) Kelley,
natives of Georgia. The parents were among the early
settlers of south Texas, locating at Wharton in 1846.
Subsequently, when their son Daniel Austin was a small
boy, they moved into Grimes county, where the parents
spent the remainder of their lives. Daniel A. Kelley at-
tained his education largely from private schools, and



subsequently entered the University of Virginia at Char-
lottsvUle, where he studied law and was graduated B. L.
in ]8il. Fresh from college and witli all th.' ideas and
ardor of the novitiate in law, he came back from tlie
east and chose the town of Waco as the s.-cne for his
practice and achie%-ements. It has been his fortune in
subsequent years to cap the aspirations of that earlv
period with much distinctive and creditable achieve-
ments. Waco when he first located there was a town of
thirty-five hundred people, and its chief landmarks in
those days were the old suspension bridge across the
Brazos river and the McClelland Hotel. Practically everv
change in the town and every improvement which has
marked the subsequent history of this locality, Mr. Kel-
ley has witnessed, and as a" good citizen has done his
most to promote. Mr. Kelley has during his many years
of practice at Waco given very limited attention to
criminal law, and has confined himself largely to civil
practice and eoun.sel, and it is in this field of jurispru-
dence that his special a.-hievenients have been. He has

also served ,-is >|m. j , ,y and district judge.

In 1S74 Ml. ,1 .;] Miss Georgia Townsend.

and theohildr. , ,,i , i irige were .John T. of Waco;

James T. of r,r;;in; :iii.i |i:niiel A. of Brown countv.
Mrs. Kelley, the motlier uf these children, passed awav
in 1902. Mr. Kelley afterward married Miss Anna Wes"t
of Waco.

Bernh.\rd H. Schroeder. One of the enterprising and
progressive business men of Waco, Bernhard H. Schroe-
der, is one of those for whom this countrv is indebted
to Holland. He has been a resident of the United
States only since 1908, but during the six years that
have elapsed he has risen to a high place in business cir-
cles, and today holds distinct prestige in Waco as treas-
urer of the Banker 's Trust Company. Mr. Schroeder was
born in Holland, June 5, 186.5, and is a son of John H.
and Sophia Schroeder. The father, who passed his life
in his native country, was a merchant by vocation, and
died in 1901, at the age of sixty-five years, while the
mother passed away in 1899, when" fifty-one years of aae.
They were the parents of three children : Bernhard H. ;
Herman, who is deceased; and Alfred.

Bernhard H. Schroeder attended the schools of his
native land until reaching the age of eighteen years,
and at that time became a correspondence clerk, "a ca-
pacity in which he acteu from 1SS3 to 1S86. In the lat-
ter year he was made manager of a colonial banking
company in Holland, occupying that position until 189.5,
when he accepted the office of manager for an industrial
concern, and from that time forward until 1908 filled
similar positions. During this ]ieriod he had for seven-
teen years served as consul from Japan to Holland, with
headquarters at Amsterdam. He still retains, and on
occasions wears, a decoration presented to him by the
Emperor of Japan as an appreciation of his excellent
services in that capacity. Mr. Schroeder came to the
United States in 1908 and settled at .. aco, in the vicinity
of which city he was engaged in prospecting for some-
thing more than a year. In 1910 he founded "the Central
Texas Loan and Investment Company, of West McLen-
nan county, with a capital of $25,000, and in 1911 this
capital was increased to $100,000. In 1913 the companv 's
business was assumed by the Bankers' Trust Company" of
Waco, and Mr. Schroeder was made treasurer, a position
which he has continued to hold. Mr. Schroeder is widely
known in financial circles of Central Texas, and in addi-
tion to being a member of the directing board of the
Bankers' Trust Company, is a stockholder in the South-
ern Traction Company and the National Bank of the
West. His religious connection is with the Holland Lu-
theran church. A man of education, culture and refine-
ment, he takes much pleasure in travel, and has visited
many of the countries of the earth. He has found no
ti;'..e to engage in political activities, but has shown his
willingness to contribute to the general welfare in bene-



2100



TEXAS AND TEXANS



ficial movements and to shoulder his full share of the
duties of citizenship in his adopted land.

Mr. Sehroeder was married in Holland, in 1889, to
Miss Marie De Xeufville, who was born in Holland in
1866, and she died in France in 1909, having been the
mother of one child, Hermance.

BiKCH DuGGAN Easterwood. Though established in
business but a short time, Mr. Easterwood is regarded as
one of the ablest young architects of central Texas. His
offices are in the Amicable building at Waco. His career in
Texas began as a farm hand, and by various promotions
won at his own initiative and by his own efforts he ad-
vanced from one thing to another, always getting a little
further towards the goal of his ambition, and after a thor-
ough course of private study of architecture engaged in
practice for himself.

Birch Duggan Easterwood was born in Calhoun county,
Alabama, January 2, 1888. His father, Pink Almond
Easterwood, was born in Alabama in 1858, followed
merchandising as his business, and died in 1893. The
mother's maiden name was Nannie Duggan, who was
born in Tennessee in 1868 and died in 1890. Their
three children were Birch D., Hoyle S., and Eva. Hoyle
married Cora Smith, has two children, Grace and Ber-
narr, is a dairyman in El Centro, California; while the
daughter, Eva, is unmarried and lives at the home of her
brother in Waco.

Mr. B. D. Easterwood had a common school education
in Alabama, which state remained his home until he was
eighteen, and on coming to Texas his first location was
at Bartlett in Milam county. The first summer was
spent in farm labor, followed by a clerkship in a general
store for a year and a half, after which he rented a hun-
dred acres of land and got his start by three years of
successful farming. All the time not employed in look-
ing after his crop was devoted to the study of architec-
ture and drawing, and having exceptional natural talent
in this line he made rapid progress, and on moving to
Waco in 1911 engaged in business for himself.

On Septendier 5, 1909, Mr. Easterwood married Pearl
Barker, a daughter of Mrs. Delia Barker of Milam
county. They have one child, Kenneth. Mr. Easterwood
is a member of the Baptist church, and was president
of the Baptist Young People's Union. He takes consid-
erable interest in political affairs, and during his resi-
dence in Milam county was road superintendent one term.
Since engaging in his present profession it has been
his chief hobby and pleasure, and his success in his
chosen field is assured.

Captain Egbert B. Shaw. A record of a long and
eventful life has been that of Captain Shaw, now living
retired at Kemp in Kaufman county. For sixty years
he has had his home in Kaufman county, where "he was
one of the early settlers and his span of recollection and
reminiscence covers probably more varied and interest-
ing events and personalities in this section of Texas than
that of any other living citizen. He has exemplified the
spirit of real citizenship, has given all his services to
the public weal, and has participated in the commercial
and agricultural afi'airs of the county during a long
life.

Captain Eobert B. Shaw came to Texas in 1853 from
Chickasaw county, Mississippi. He was born in Perry
county, Alabama, July 19th, 1833. His father, James
Shaw, was a North Carolina man by birth, and a son of
Benjamin Shaw. James Shaw acquired a moderate
education, and followed the calling of his father as a
farmer and planter, and in Mississippi became a man of
influence and financial prestige. He owned slave prop-
erty which he brought with him into Texas, and suf-
fered its loss by the emancipation during the war be-
tween the states. James Shaw, in 1851, made a pros-
pecting trip to Texas, and bought fifteen hundred acres
of land in Kaufman county. Two years later with his



family he came across the country in wagons, a month's
journey being required to reach his destination. Trans-
planting his residence in the west he enlarged his scope
of activity, and besides opening up a farm he multi-
plied his stock and combined that industry with grain
growing. He lived through the strenuous political times
of ante-bellum days and added his moral support to the
cause of the South, one of his sons being sacrificed on
the battlefield as a Confederate soldier. James Shaw
died in 1866 at the age of eighty years, just at the dawn
of a new era with the restoration of peace between the
states. He professed no religion, but was everywhere
known for his strict honesty and integrity. James
Shaw married Katherine Elliott, who was reared an
orphan, and who died in 1875. Their children were:
Smith Shaw, who lived in Mississippi, and left a family
there at his death; Fox, who died in Kaufman county,
Texas; Julia, who married Jesse Franklin, and died in
Kaufman county; Ehoda, who became Mrs. Henry Car-
lisle, and died in Kaufman county; James F., who left
a family at his death; William A., who died leaving a
family at Clarksville, Texas; John A., who was killed
in the Eed Eiver Campaign against Banks, during the
war. and Captain Eobert B. Shaw.

Eobert B. Shaw brought from Mississippi all the
education he ever acquired from schools. His youth was
passed in the days when schools were conducted in log
cabins, with the crude and primitive equipment which
has been so often described, and when the curriculum
consisted of the teaching of the fundamental principles
of reading and writing, and figuring, and when the
teachers themselves were most meagerly equipped for the
work of instruction. He remained with his father, and
aided in the management of the varied responsibilities
of the farm until 1859, when he married and moved to a
tract of land which he bought five miles south of Kauf-
man. Only one year was spent at that home when the
war broke out, and the call to arms brought him out as
a volunteer as a Confederate soldier. He enlisted in
company G of the Twelfth Texas regiment, com-
manded by Col. Bill Parsons, who subsequently became
a brigadier general. The regiment was rendezvoused at
Houston, and was ordered north into Louisiana and Ar-
kansas. It participated in the preliminary maneuvers
prior to the campaign in which the engagement at Mans-
field, Cottonplant, and Yellow Bayou were conspicuous.
He was in the two latter battles, and also was in the
operations against General Banks along the Eed Eiver.
When the war ended he was attending the court-martial
of Lieutenant Col. Burleson as a witness at Hempstead,
Texas. He was mustered out with the rank of lieu-
tenant, having held that official place since 1865. Through
the four years of the war he went without wound or
imprisonment, and returned to his wife and home in
May, 1865. Captain Shaw then took up farming under
the changed conditions and made a crop the first year
following the war. He was soon approached with a
proposition from the sheriff of the county to take a
deputyship under him, and thus be in line for elec-
tion to the office in 1866. Sheriff Alexander Wilson
did this because he wished to make some sacrifice to the
men who had exposed their lives and fortunes for the
welfare of a lost cause, and he selected Eobert B. Shaw
as the proper person upon whom to bestow this confi-
dence and honor. In 1866, the captain was elected
sheriff of Kaufman county, and he continued in that
capacity for twelve years, excepting the periods when
removal from ofiice "by the military regime occurred,
which occurred twice, and at each recurring oppor-
tunity he was promptly re-elected by the citizens. In
1867," Captain Shaw engaged in merchandising at Prairie-
ville, and continued there until in 1888, when he came
to Kemp, and conducted business in his new location
until 1897. His attention to mercantile affairs did not
divert him from farming, and all the while his large
country estate was being improved and brought under



TEXAS AND TEXANS



2101



cultivation by tenants. Of the fifteen hundred acres
he owned six hundred were made productive by the plow,
and the rest has been for many years pastured for his
stock. Captain Shaw has been one of the largest stock
raisers in Kaufman county. His retirement from mer-
chandising gave him opportunity to relax from the vigilant
prosecution of business which had absorbed him for
so many years, and since then he has lived at Kemp,
watching the varied rural interests at the old home
visilile from the upper gallery of his village residence.
Here there passes in review before him the entire pana-
ronia of the personalities and achievements of his long
and active career, and few of the old moii nf Texas can
enjoy with greater satisfaction the lid' nf nirnioiy than
Captain Shaw. He has in his possi's^Mur ■! 1 k iliat con-
tains the memoirs and a sort of diary tli.it Mrs. Shaw
wrote in 1858, containing poetry and verse. Also dates
of arrival and departure of her soldier boy husband. She
was only 17 years of age at the time, and had only been
married about a year, when he went away to the war.
He regards and holds this diary above everything else
that he owns, and mone.v will not buy it.

In June, 1859, Captain Shaw married Miss Susan
Vannoy, a daughter of Jesse Vannoy, who came to Texas
from Tennessee, and settled in Anderson county. Cap-
tain Shaw and wife took into their liome Florence, a
little orphan girl, whom they learned to love as their
own. and whom they educated and cared for until she
became the wife of William A. Taylor of Kaufman, and
later visited her foster-father, bringing her own gen-
eration with her. The Captain 's own children are two
sons, Fred and Bernard. Fred Shaw, is a Galveston citi-
zen, and married Effie Eandall. Mrs. Captain Shaw died
in 1909. after having lived with her husband fifty
years, and having impressed her individuality upon her
community and her Methodist church to which they both
belonged.

In San Antonio, Texas, on June 6th, 1912, Captain

E. B. Shaw married Mrs. Mary E. Green, whose father
came to Texas from Kentucky. Mrs. Mary E. Shaw, who
was born in June, 1866, in Gerard, HI., was only ten
years of age when her father settled in McLennan
county, Texas. By her first marriage Mrs. Shaw had
two daughters. The oldest is Mrs. Joe Muncy, of San
Antonio. Her husband, Mr. Percy P. Muncy, an Eng-
lishman, died in Chicago, Illinois, in 1908. The second
daughter is Mrs. Marguerite Shepard, who lives in San
Antonio. Her husband is in the insurance business, and
is a son of Milton Shepard, a Confederate Soldier and
a very prominent man of Toomsboro, Georgia. They
have one son at school, John Milton Shepard.

Quitman Finlat. A native Texan, Quitman Finlay
has been engaged in the practice of law, in the railway
service, and 'the varied interests of a successful career
for the past thirty years. As a lawyer, he ranks at the
head of the McLennan county bar, and is a citizen deeply
interested in matters of social welfare in his home city
of Waco.

Quitman Finlay was born in Jackson county, Texas,
July 21, 1865. His father, George P. Finlay, who was
born in Eankin county, ilississippi, in 1828, was a prom-
inent attorney, practiced law for more than half a cen-
tury, and died in 1911. His mother, whose maiden name
was Carrie Eea, was born at Boonville in Howard county,
Missouri, in 1837, and now lives at a venerable age in the
city of Galveston. The three children are: Julia, Vir-
gilia and Quitman. The daughter Julia married Hart
H. Settle, of Galveston, and their two cliildren'are George

F. and Julia Finlay. Virgilia iiKirried D. E. Simmons of
Houston, Texas, and has two iliil.lien, Finlay and An-
drew. Quitman Finlay was niariifd at Waco, November
6, 1889, to Alice Dowiis. a daughter of Oscar J. Downs,
an old-time planter and well-known citizen of Texas,
ilr. Finlay and wife have one child, Dorothy.

Quitman Finlay was educated in private schools as a



boy, and in 1883 graduated from the Agricultural and
Mechanical College of Texas. His college career was in-
terrupted by ill health, and his study in the University
of Texas was broken off in order that he niiglit recuiicr-
ate, and two years were spent in Old Mexico working as
a cowboy. Eeturning to Galveston, he took and energet-
ically pursued his studies of the law in his father 's oflicr
until admitted to the bar in 1886. Mr. Finlav practiced
law from 1SS6 to 1900, and then entered the railway
service with the Santa Fe Company for two years, and
for eight years was with the Texas Central Railway.
When he resigned in 1908 he was head of the claim de-
partment of the latter company, and since then has ap-
plied himself closely to his practice as a lawyer at Waco.
Mr. Finlay is a member of the Episcopal church, is a
Democrat who has been at various times interested in
party affairs, and from 1893 to 1897 served as special
deputy collector of customs in Galveston. In 1898 he
joined the Texas Volunteer Guards, and was a member
two years of that organi7ation. He belongs to the
Young Men's Business League nf War,., and lias inter-
ested himself especially in the Y. M. i '. A. :iinl the City
Mission, and through those ori;iiiiiiatiMii^ lias done a
great deal of religious and philanthropic work. Mr. Fin-
lay owns his own residence at 602 S. Fourth street in
Waco.

James W. Edexs. There are good reasons for the suc-
cess of James W. Edens as a real estate dealer at Waco.
He knows Texas as a lifelong resident and son of one
of the first families. A number of his years were spent
as a practical agriculturist and on his farm in McLen-
nan county he has raieed some very fine staple crops and
knows all that is profitalile to know about Texas soil,
seasons and crops. Besides farming and business, his
experience also includes educational work, and he was
an exceptional teacher in his time.

James W. Edens was born in Houston county, Texas,
January 19, 1855. His father, John Silas Edens, who
was born in South Carolina in 1821, was brought to
Texas when a small boy by his parents, and grew up and
followed the occupation of agriculture. He was in Texas
at a time so early that he was one of the boy volunteers
in the Texas army which fought off the Mexican forces
sent to subdue the rebellious province. He bears a name,
which is familiar to those who have read the early Indian
annals of Texas, and one of the tragic events during the
early days of Houston county was what was known as
the Edens or Madden massacre. At the time of that
calamity John S. Edens was away from home at school,
and for that reason he escaped the slaughter mete<l out
to other members of the family. His death occurred in
1892. When the Edens family came to Texas they set-
tled in Houston county seventeen miles north of Crockett.
John S. Edens married Amanda G. Adams, who was born
in Indiana in 1825, and the Adams family likewise found
an early residence in Texas. Her death occurred in
1863, and her husband subsequently married Mrs. Sarah
Thompson about 1865, and she die'd in 1870. The eight
children by the first wife were: John N., Mary C. Geor-
gia A., James W., Silas B., Amanda E., Lucinda G., and
one that died in infancy.

James W. Edens spent his early years in Houston
county, and the second school he attended was taught
in a little log house which had been put up by his father
and James Miller, largely to afford educational advan-
tages to their own families. In 1868 the family moved
to McLennan county, and here he continued attending
school, the teacher being paid by the patrons of the
school according to the old subscription plan of school
support. Subsequently he was in the public schools in
Houston county, and "had one year in Baylor University
of Waco. Some years of his earlier career were actively
employed in the work of the schoolroom, and it was
whde teaching and partly from the money earned in that
way that he bought his first land, comprising one hundred



2102



TEXAS AND TEXANS



acres, and spent ten years upon it as a successful farmer.
On account of his "father's health he finally returned
home and spent several years in the management of the
old farm, after which he moved to Waco and in 1907 en-
gaged in the real estate business as an immigrant agent.
He represented a corporation for the colonization of va-
cant Texas land for three years, and then opened an office
for himself and in 1912 took as a partner 0. J. Hadden,
and the ttto together now conduct a flourishing business.
JVIr. Edeus ou October 14, 1896, at Crockett married
Lizzie Ellis, a daughter of J. B. Ellis, a Houston county
farmer. The three children born to their marriage are:
Lois E., deceased; James W. Jr.; and Berkleyine E.
The family are members of the Missionary r>aptist
church, and Mr. Edens serves the society as deacon. In
politics he is a Prohibitionist. While it is many years
since he abandoned the work of the schoolroom, he has
never given up his interest in young people, and his
hobby is teaching boys. At the present time he is in-
structor of a special class of boys called the Eoyal Am-
bassadors, as a part of his church activities. Mr. Edens
owns two hundred and thirty-two acres in McLennan
county, and his management and labors have brought
one hundred and ninety acres of it under successful cul-
tivation, raising fine crops of cotton, corn and oats.
Outside of business, home and church Mr. Edens occa-
sionally takes recreation through a fishing trip.

John F. Eowe. Among the progressive and enterpris-
ing citizens of Waco, none have contributed in greater
degree to the advancement and progress of this thriving
and prosperous city than has John F. Eowe, a real estate
broker with offices at No. 611 Amicable building. Dur-
ing his long and industrious career he has been engaged
in a variety of pursuits, all tending to promote the prom-
inence of whatever community he has found himself in,
and his versatile talents have enabled him to make a
success of each of his undertakings. The growth and
development of any locality is largely dependent upon the
exertions of those individuals who devote themselves to
the exploitation of real estate. Without their energy,



Online LibraryFrancis White JohnsonA history of Texas and Texans (Volume 4) → online text (page 164 of 177)