Francis White Johnson.

A history of Texas and Texans (Volume 4) online

. (page 18 of 177)
Online LibraryFrancis White JohnsonA history of Texas and Texans (Volume 4) → online text (page 18 of 177)
Font size
QR-code for this ebook


partment, at least one floor of the entire building being
occupied by this phase of the business. All Texas and
the adjoiniug states of the south will be reached and
Mr. Munn is also laying plans to place representatives
in the Latin-American Eepublics of Mexico, Cuba and
South and Central America, whose business wUl be given
important consideration. Spanish catalogs and stocks
especially supplied to meet the demands of these coun-
tries, will be carried and close attention and study will
be accorded those countries with a view to developing
the widest possible trade relations. In short, it is ex-
pected that this budding enterprise will establish trade
relations between Houston and the districts above men-
tioned such as have never before existed.

Outside of his regular business affairs Mr. Munn is
interested in a number of local enterprises, being presi-
dent of the Houston Turning Basin Investment Com-
pany, president of the Port Houston Land & Townsite
Company and in 1912 was elected president' of the Hous-
ton Chamber of Commerce, being one of the leading
members of that organization, and active in the work it
promulgates for the good of the city and its allied com-
mercial and industrial interests. He is also a member
of the No-Tsu-Oh Carnival Association of Houston.
Fraternally he is afliliated with the Masonic Order, the
Knights of Honor, the Woodmen of the World, the
Ancient Order of United Workmen, the Modern Order of
Pretorians and the Benevolent Protective Order of Elks.
He and his family worship in the First Baptist Church
of Houston.

On November 5, 1884, at Weimar, Texas, Mr. Munn
married Miss Georgia A. Jackson, a daughter of Daniel
W. Jackson of Weimar, Texas. Her death occurred on
July 27, 1910, and her flve children are named as fol-
lows: Eunice, the wife of Charles A. Bryan of Houston;
Nellie, who married N. H. Keith; Kathleen D., Wilma
G. and Dorothy A. The family home is at 2901 Main
street in Houston.

Bry.\n Brewster Gilmer. Under a popular form of
government, like that of the United States, where the
democratic idea of equality is as fully developed as tfie
present imperfect condition of mankind will permit, we
expect as its legitimate result the triumph of individual
worth and energy over all the competition that wealth
and class may array against them. Here the aveniies of
wealth and distinction are fully opened to all, which fact
enhances rather than detracts from the merits of those
whose energy and integrity have triumphed over all
obstacles intervening between an humble position and
the attainment of those laudable ends. Obscurity and
labor, at no time dishonorable, never assume more at-
tractive features than when the former appears as the
nurse of those virtues which the latter, by years of
honest and persevering effort, transplants to a higher and
richer soil ; hence, the biography of those men of sterling
worth whose active enterprise has won for them the dis-
tinction and influence in society in which they move
must be replete with facts which should encourage others
in the arena of life. Such a man is Bryan Brewster
Gilmer, president of the Southern Drug Company, Hous-
ton, Texas, a man who, while yet young in years, has
fought his way from a somewhat humble beginning to
marked prestige in the business and social world of the
city of his residence and who by the exercise of those
talents and qualities which were cultivated from his
youth, has reached an honorable position in the public
mind and earned the respect and esteem of his fellow
citizens.

Mr. Gilmer was born in Butler, Alabama, November 3,
1876. He is a son of Abram Bessent Gilmer and Amelia
(Brewster) Gilmer. The father was born in Dallas
county. Alabama, and there spent his life as a planter
and physician, and was a well known and influential man



1648



TEXAS AND TEXANS



in that section of the state. During the war between
the states he served in General Wheeler's cavalry in the
Confederate army. His death occurred in 1892. His
mother was born in Lauderdale county, Mississippi, and
she is still living, making her home in Houston. Grand-
father Gilmer was a native of South Carolina. Elmira
(Powell) Gilmer, the paternal grandmother, was born in
Alabama before it was a state. Her death occurred in
January, 1907, when over ninety years of age.

Bryan B. Gilmer was educated in the high school at
Butler, his native state, and in the year 1891 he came to
Texas, locating at Eagle Lake, Colorado county, where
he attended the high school, sui)sequently completing his
education at the university at Lebanon, Ohio, from which
he was graduated with the degree of Bachelor of Science.
He then returned to Eagle Lake, Texas, and was en-
gaged in the retail drug business there several years,
during which time he mastered the ins and outs of that
line of endeavor and got a good start in the business
world. Seeking a larger field for the exercise of his
talents, he came to Houston, taking a position with the
Houston Drug Company, with which he remained for
several years, giving his employers eminent satisfaction.
Later he became secretary and treasurer of the Standard
Milling Company of Houston. In the early fall of 1906
he organized the Southern Drug Company of 1214-1218
Franklin avenue, Houston. Under his able management
and indomitable energy it has forged to the front until
today it ranks among the largest and most successful
wholesale drug houses in the Southwest, and does an
annual business of very large proportions, its trade ex-
tending over a very extensive territory. Prompt, honest
and courteous service has been the aim of the manage-
ment, and a mammoth and carefully selected stock of all
kinds of drugs and drug sundries is carried.

In 1911 Mr. Gilmer was president of the Houston
Bankers, Jobbers and Manufacturers' Association, and
in 1912 he was vice president of the National Wholesale
Druggists' Association. For several years he was a
director of the Houston Chamber of Commerce, and is
president of the same for 1913. He is a member of the
Houston Board of School Trustees. In all these positions
of trust he has given eminent satisfaction to all con-
cerned, discharging his duties ably and conscientiously,

■ Fraternally, Mr^ Gilmer belongs to the Scottish Rite
Masons, having attained the thirty-second degree in the
same; also belongs to El Mina Temple, Ancient Arabic
Order of Nobles of the Mystic Shrine. He is also a
member of the Benevolent and Protective Order of Elks.
He is vice president of the Houston Club, of which he
has been an active member for some time ; also a member
of the Houston Country Club, of which he was one of
the organizers. He is"a charter member of the Thalian
Club of Houston. He is a member and a director in
1912 of the No-Tsu-Oh Association of Houston.

Mr. Gilmer's attractive residence is located at 3402
Garrott avenue, Houston, and is presided over with grace
and hospitality by a lady of culture and many com-
mendable characteristics, known in her maidenhood as
Miss Edna Daffan, whom Mr. Gilmer married on June 7,
1905. She is a daughter of the late Col. L. A. Daflfan.
This union has been graced by the birth of two children,
namely: Lawrence A. Daffan Gilmer and Edna Daffan
Gilmer.

Personally, Mr. Gilmer is a gentleman of pleasing
address, genial, obliging and unassuming, a splendid type
of the successful, self-made young business man of the
twentieth century.

James S. Kendall. The leading lawyer in Munday,
Texas, and one of the most successful attorneys in
Knox county, is James S. Kendall. He has only been
located in Munday for a short time but he has a good
practice and has made a wide circle of friends. Mr.
Kendall, although not a native of Texas, has been bred
in the state and is an enthusiastic champion of this sec-



tion of the Union. He is a lawyer of wide experience,
and is well known for his careful preparation and the
conscientious work which he gives to his cases outside
of the court room as well as for the able manner in
which he handles eases before the bar.

James S. Kendall was born in Independence county,
Arkansas, on the 21st of August, 1876. He lived in
Arkansas until he was ten years of age when his
parents moved to Texas. His father, Samuel G. Ken-
dall, was born in the state of Arkansas and came to
Texas in 1887. He followed farming both before and
after coming to Texas and was also interested in real
estate investments. When the Civil war broke out Mr.
Kendall enlisted in the Confederate army, as a member
of the Tenth Arkansas Infantry. He saw much active
service and among the important engagements in which
he participated was the Battle of Shiloh. Mr. Kendall
was very active politically, being a member of the Demo-
cratic party. In religious matters he was a member of
the Baptist church. He died in 1898 at the age of
sixty-seven. He married Miss Sarah H. Wyatt, after
moving to Arkansas. She was born in Tennessee and
like her husband was a devout member of the Bap-
tist church. She died in 1907 at the age of sixty-six,
and is buried by the side of her husband in Decatur,
Texas.

Of the eight children born to Samuel and Sarah Ken-
dall, James S. Kendall was the fifth. He went to school
in Arkansas first and later attended the public schools
of Texas. He completed the high school course at De-
catur and then left school to accept a position in a
dry goods store. He was seventeen years of age at this
time and his salary at the start was forty-five dollars a
month, a good beginning for a young boy. After about
eighteen months of this work he went into an abstract
office where he worked until 1897. It was during this
period of his life that he took up the study of law
and in 1897 he was admitted to the bar.

He immediately began the practice of law in Decatur,
continuing his abstract business at the same time. In
1901 he left his home to'mi and went to Eobert Lee,
Texas, where he was engaged in the practice of law for
three years. His next move took him to Tahoka where
he only practiced his profession for a year before going
to Vernon, Texas. After a year in this place he came
to Knox county and located in Benjamin, the county
seat. For six years he was here engaged in the practice
of law and in the real estate business. Then in Novem-
ber, 1912, he came to Munday and established himself
in practice here. He has been elected city attorney of
Munday and has a growing practice.

In politics Mr. Kendall is a member of the Democratic
party and takes a very active interest in both local and
national politics. He is a member of the Methodist
church and in the fraternal world is a member of the
Knights of Pythias and of the Red Men. He is also
an active member of the Commercial Club of Munday.

Mr. Kendall was married in Knox county, on the 27th
of June, 1909. to Miss Flora Smith, a daughter of Mr.
and Mrs. J. W. Smith, who were formerly of Missis-
sippi. Mr. and Mrs. Kendall have had two children
born to them, as follows: Walter Gaynor and Edna
Arlene.

Hon. Clark C. Wren. The first judge to be appointed
to preside over the newly created Harris County court at
law, Mr. Clark C. Wren, has been once elected by popular
vote to that office, and it is largely through his capable
judicial administration that the court has so well ful-
filled the high expectations entertained for it, and in
that position he has strengthened his position as one of
the brilliant lawyers of the state. Judge Wren is still a
young man, thirty-six years of age, and was admitted
to the bar when only nineteen.

Born at Galveston, Texas, May 25, 1877, Clark C.
Wren is a son of Powhatan S. and Mattie (Campbell)






P«^*w^


^^H^I^B^I


1 '*^ ^tS^^Li^^^^^m


^^^^P^^^^^^^^^


~ /j^HH^H


^K v^^^


gy^^^^^^^


m( ■ •* ^t^


^^■^f^f^lSi^^^^^^^^^B^ <^l


M'-^y^^M


^B ' -ir^^ ^^^^^HBfe||L Jh


1 '-^mH


■'^^.^JHI^Hb 9




f\ 4^V ' '~^^^^^




r


lA



^^^^^feCe.^^:^-^^^



TEXAS AND TEXANS



1649



Wren. Through his mother he is a great-great-grandson
of General Elijah Clark, who won distinction in the Eevo-
lutionary war. Judge Wren's father was born in Vir-
ginia, was captain in a Virginia regiment during the
war between the states, came to Texas about 1867, and
located in Galveston, where he acquired prominence in
politics. He served as city clerk during 1878-80, and
resigned to take the position of county clerk of Galveston
county. Then for a number of years he was deputy
internal revenue collector for that district. In August,
1903, P. S. Wren moved to Arizona territory, which has
since been his home. He is now a member of the first
state legislature of Arizona.

Clark C. Wren grew up at Galveston, attended the pub-
lic schools, and when fourteen years of age became a
regular wage earner and has since paid his own way in
the world. As a boy he took up the study of law at
home, and in 1896, at the age of nineteen, w^as admitted
to the bar. For the active prosecution of his work as a
lawyer he moved out to San Angelo, and remained there
until the outbreak of the Spanish-American war. His
record in that war was made with the Third Texas Volun-
teer Infantry, and he served as sergeant of Company E.
Soon after his discharge from military service in 1899
Mr. Wren was diverted from the law into a profession
for which he had long manifested decided talent, being
for about five years in theatrical work and traveling as
an actor throughout tin- I'liited States. Though the
duties of his work wi'ic ,ii .liions. he found time to take
up and complete a cmii-c wiili ih.' Sprague Correspond-
ence School of Law. In I'JOi Mr. Wren located perma-
nently in Houston and took up the practice of law.

He soon gained recognition as one of the able young
attorneys, and at the same time was drawn somewhat into
the field of politics. In 1908 he made an unsuccessful
campaign for the office of state senator against F. C.
Hume, Jr. In 1910, after the legislature had created the
Harris County Conrt at law, he was appointed judge of
the court. This honor came without any solicitation on
his part, and in 1912 the citizens of the county elected
him for continued service in that ofiice without any oppo-
sition. Judge Wren affiliates with the Woodmen of the
World and the Improved Order of Red Men.

On February 3, 1909, Judge Wren married Miss Mamie
Culpepper. She is a daughter of Horace Culpepper of
Houston, and is related to the famous Culpepper family
of Virginia. The Judge and wife have two children :
Mary Martha Wren and Clark C. Wren, Jr. The family
home is at 2704 Milam street.

Marcus O. Wright, M. D. A physician and surgeon
of El Paso since 1896, Dr. Wright is one of the oldest
.established men in medical practice in the city, only
three other physicians having been here longer than he
has. In his chosen vocation he has been unusually suc-
cessful, has built up a large practice, and through his
faithful service as a physician has done much for the
community with which he has been identified for upwards
of twenty years.

Marcus O. Wright was born in Morgan county, Ala-
bama, December 23, 1859. He was tie only son of Wil-
liam A. and Martha (Ferguson) Wright, his father being
a native of Georgia and his mother of North Carolina.
His father was a slave owner and planter in Alabama,
and when the Civil war came on he entered the Con-
federate service, was taken prisoner during one of the
campaigns in which he was engaged, was sent to Fort
Delaware, and died in that Federal prison in 1864, when
forty-five years of age. The mother died at the old
home place in Morgan county, Alabama, in 1898, at the
age of seventy-two.

Dr. Wright attained his early education in the schools
of his native county, and spent his years of boyhood and
youth on the plantation, assisting in its operation for a
number of years. At the age of twenty-two he entered
Tulane University, in the Medical Department, and was



graduated M. D. in 1886. All his practice had been in
Texas, and his first location was at Bartlett, where he
had an oflice from 1886 until 1892. Several years after
that were spent in Las Vegas, Hot Springs, New Mexico,
and for two years he was in practice at Alpine, Texas.
Then in 1896 he established his office at El 'Paso, and has
given all his time to general practice. He is a member
of the El Paso County and the State Medical Societies
and the American Medical Association. He is a Repub-
lican in politics, though without active participation in
party affairs. Dr. Wright is a member of the El Paso
Country Club and the Toltec Club.

At Bartlett, Texas, in October, 1885, the doctor mar-
ried Miss Mary Moss, daughter of Augustus and Dorcas
(Kay) Moss. Mrs. Wright is a native of Texas and of
an old Alabama family. They are the parents of two
children. Hugh Wright, the elder, born at Bartlett
April 21, 1887, is now a practicing mining engineer and
a graduate of the University of Texas. Clark Wright
was born December 22, 1893, at Las Vegas Hot Springs,
in New Mexico. Dr. Wright owns an attractive home at
1418 Montana street. Outside of his regular practice he
is examining physician for some of the old-line life
insurance companies, and his office is at 215 Caples
building. Dr. Wright deserves much credit for his suc-
cess smee he began making his own way when fifteen
years of age, paid his own tuition through college, and
has always relied upon his own energy and ability to get
ahead in the world.

Edgar D. Park. Coming to El Paso several years ago
as an employe of the Wells, Fargo & Company Express,
Mr. Park has since engaged in business for himself and
is one of the young and very enterprising business build-
ers of the city. He was born in Pulaski, Teniu.^s.-e
April 24, 1887, the oldest in a family of I'l.i.n .InMivn
born to William J. and Lulu (Belew) Park. I.oili ii:iti\rs

of Tennessee. The father was of Englisl I s.-,,t.h

ancestry, and his grandfather had served as a soldier
in the Revolutionary war. The father was a planter, and
came to Texas in 1893, locating at Winters, where he now
resides. The mother represents one of the old families
of Tennessee, and in the different generations it has
furnished soldiers to the Revolution, to the War of 1812
and to the Civil war.

Edgar D. Park was reared in Texas from the age of
six years, and such education as he obtained was in the
country schools. Most of his training was through expe-
rience, and he has succeeded none.the worse apparently
for lack of what are popularly regarded as the best
advantages of books and schools. Up to the time he was
eighteen he lived on a farm, and his first position after
leaving home was as a clerk in a grocery store in his
home county. He then went with the Wells-Fargo Com-
pany Express for two years, and was sent by that com-
pany to El Paso in 1909. Since that time he has broad-
ened out into larger fields of independent enterprise. In
1910 he established the Park Brothers Realty Company,
and that is now one of the leading firms of the kind
in El Paso. He has established the Texas Fibre Machine
Manufacturing Company and the Mexican Indian Drawn
Work Company, both being practical and successful
enterprises.

Mr. Park is an independent in politics. He was mar-
ried in El Paso, October 29, 1911, to Miss Jo Wilson, who
was born in Morrisonville, Illinois, a daughter of Joseph
Wilson. Mr. Park has his offices at 400 North Oregon
street. His chief diversions, aside from business, are
hunting and fishing.

Harris Krupp. One of the prominent figures in the
mercantile circles of El Paso is Harris Kruj)p, a gentle-
man of exceptional business discernment and managerial
ability who very worthily represents the progressive
spirit that characterizes the business activity of this
thriving city of the southwest. He represents that tyjje



TEXAS AND TEXANS



of the wellbred, foreign-born American citizen whose
vigor, ambition and well-directed activities have added
so much to the growth and prosperity of our nation.
Mr. Krupp came to America a youth in his middle teens
and for his progress in life he has relied on his own
resources of pn active mind, clear and ready judgment,
a forceful purpose and fine principles of business and
personal honor. He settled permanently in El Paso,
Texas, twenty years ago and in that score of years he
has shared the business growth and prosperity of this
city, contributing the while his best energies and abilities
to that end, and today he is one of the substantial men
of El Paso.

Harris Krupp was born December 15, 1862, in Poland,
of which country both of his parents were natives.
Abraham Krupp, the father, deceased in 1911, spent his
business career as a merchant in his native land and
was fairly successful. Mary Krupp, the mother, is yet
living and continues to reside in Poland.

Harris is the sixth of the seven children of these
parents. He grew up to his sixteenth year in his native
land and there received his education. On July 1, 1878,
at New York City, he first stepped on the shore of
America, the land famed for opportunity, and after a
three months' visit with an elder brother in that city
he set about to try out his own fortunes. Securing em-
ployment in a photographers' shop as a salesman for
photo enlargements, he followed that line of busi-
ness successfully for nine years, during which time
he saved considerable money. He then came west, first
settling in Illinois and then later in Kansas, but the
spring of 1888 found him in El Paso, Texas. He re-
mained but a short time, however, and from there went
to Arizona, where continued his home some four years.
In 1892 he returned to El Paso. With a small capital
of $150 he opened up a small clothing store, the begin-
ning of his present business at 107 San Antonio street,
and of what is today one of the largest gents' furnish-
ing establishments in the city of El Paso, with annual
sales averaging $40,000. No magic wand has brought
about this result, but it has come through an advantage-
ous location and through years of untiring effort and
wise and careful business management on the part of
Mr Krupp. He carries no outside interests but con-
tinues to give his whole attention to this very successful
business. In political views he leans toward the Re-
publican party but he exercises his voting rights m ac-
cord with his own progressive belief that power of efii-
cieney and not party affiliations should determine the
man for the ofiiee. He is prominently aflSliated with the
Masonic fraternity as a Noble of the Mystic Shrine ?nd
as a thirty-second degree Scottish Eite Mason and he is
also a member of the Benevolent and Protective Order
of Elks. Mr. Krupp is of the Jewish faith and is a
member and a trustee of Mount Sinai Temple in El Paso.

The marriage of Mr. Krupp was solemnized at ban
Antonio, Texas, September 19, 1897, and united him to
Miss Hulda Zlabovski, who was born in Russia and
came to America at the age of eight years with her
parents, Mr. and Mrs. Abraham Zlabovski. Mr and
Mrs Krupp have five children: Paul, born July 16,
1898- Ida, born June 11, 1900; Lester, born June 23,
1901- Ephraim, born January 29, 1905. and Leon, born
March 4, 1909. The fireside of this family is in their
own home at 326 Tipson street.

Joseph Hill McCraCKEN, M. D. A career of useful
activitv largelv devoted to the service of his fellowmen
has been that of Dr. McCraeken of Mineral Wells where
he located more than twenty years ago. Dr. McCracUen
is now one of the oldest physicians in point of years
of practice in his part of the state, and one of the best
examples of that ideal type of the country doctor, whose
services are marked by faithful character and a certain
high ability and skill which give a physician his ehiet
value to the community.



Joseph Hill McCraeken was born In the little village
of Springtown, Parker county, Texas, October 1, 1867.
His parents were William M. and Elizabeth Jane (Doak)
McCraeken. The doctor is of Scotch-Irish stock, and
his father, who was a native of Tennessee, went with
his parents in his early years to Washington county,
Arkansas. The Doak family also moved to that same
section, and there the two young people formed an ac-
quaintance which ripened into a happy marriage. In
1858 they moved to Texas, and located at Springtown in
Parker county, then on the extreme western frontier.
In the years during the CivU war decade and for some
time afterward, all of Parker county was exposed to
the constantly recurring outrages of Indians and out-
laws, and the residents had to be constantly vigilant



Online LibraryFrancis White JohnsonA history of Texas and Texans (Volume 4) → online text (page 18 of 177)