Francis White Johnson.

A history of Texas and Texans (Volume 4) online

. (page 2 of 177)
Online LibraryFrancis White JohnsonA history of Texas and Texans (Volume 4) → online text (page 2 of 177)
Font size
QR-code for this ebook


the camp. He takes a deep interest in all Confederate
matters and has often been a delegate to reunions and
other gatherings of the boys in gray.

Charles T. Paul was born on the 2d of March, 1880,
at Paul's Store in Shelby county, Texas, the j'oungest
of the six children, four sons and two daughters, of
W. A. and Delilah Paul. On the paternal side the an-
cestry is French, while on the maternal side he is
descended from Irish stock. W. A. Paul wa-s a second
cousin of Alexander H. Stephens, vice president of the
Confederacy. The grandparents on both sides were
planters and slave holders, and the family is well repre-
sented in Georgia and Arkansas, also elsewhere through-
out the South. W. A. Paul has followed farming and
stock-raising, flour milling and ginning, and for more
than forty years was a resident of Shelby county, Texas.
From that vicinity he enlisted in the Confederate army
as a member of Company H, Eleventh Texas Infantry,
and was wounded in battle at Opelousas, Louisiana. He
went through the war, and after its close settled down
to farming in Shelby county. For the accommodation
of his neighbors in the community about his home he
conducted a grist mill, a cotton gin and a blacksmith
shop, and, as these activities indicate, he was a man of
varied affairs and an important factor in the community
where he lived. Finally selling out his business there
in 1900, he came to San Angelo, Texas, and took up
ranching, a line which he still follows and in which he is
well known. The wife and mother passed away in 1892,
and was laid to rest in the country cemetery near Paul's
Store, Texas.

In the public schools of Shelby county Charles T.
Paul obtained his early training, and after his graduation
from the high school at Timpson in 1901. entered the
University of Texas, where he pursued his studies for
three years in the academic and law departments. Dur-
ing his university career he was president of the Soph-
omore class, was president of Athena;um Literary
Society, and was a charter member of Delta Tau Delta
fraternity in the University. His first business venture
was in real estate in San Angelo, where he opened his
office in 1904. Since then he has added an abstract and
genornl rental business under the firm name of the Paul
Abstract and Title Company. In a period of only a fen-
years real estate has advanced from one hundred to
one hundred and fifty per cent in price and the trend



is still steadily upward. From April, 1909, to April,
1911, Mr. Paul served as mayor of San Angelo, and was
earnestly solicited to make the race for a second term,
but his accumulating interests in business led him to
decline the offer. For three years he was one of the
directors of the San Angelo Bank & Trust Company,
one of the largest financial concerns of west Texas, with
a capital stock of a quarter of a million dollars.

Mr. Paul has always been a stanch Democrat, and
fraternally is well known in Masonry, having taken the
thirty-second degree of the Scottish Rite. He also has
membership affiliations with the Independent Order of
Odd Fellows and the Benevolent and Protective Order
of Elks. His church is the Presbyterian.

On the 2Sth of March, 1911, Mr. Paul married Miss
Minnie Elizabeth Hunter, of San Angelo, a daughter of
Mrs. M. E. Hunter. After the death of Mr. Hunter in
1905 the family came from Memphis, Tennessee, and Mrs.
Hunter, who was born in Canada, is still living. Mr.
and Mrs. Paul have one child, Minnie Lila Paul, born
on the 12th of February, 1913, at 335 West H avenue,
San Angelo, Texas.

Mr. Paul stands foremost among those who thor-
oughly believe in and advocates to all comers the re-
sources of western Texas, b6th in climate and soil. He
is thoroughly familiar with the resources of the country
as a stock i-egion and recommends it as a good place
for any ambitious man with the grit and industry to
take his part of pioneer responsibilities and hardships,
before enjoying all the success and prosperity which he
well might anticipate.

Robert Meriwether Brown. At Wharton for the
past quarter of a century one of the ablest lawyers
and foremost citizens has been Robert Meriwether Brown.
Judge Brown has served as special district judge, has
represented his county in the state legislature, is com-
mander of his local camp of Confederate Veterans and
is regarded as one of the ablest lawyers of south Texas.
He is local attorney for the Santa Fe Railroad and
represents other large interests in this part of the state.

Robert Meriwether Brown was born in Amherst
county, Virginia, December 24, 1845, and was one of
six children born to Robert M. and Sarah (Whitehead)
Brown, both of whom were natives of Virginia, and of
old and prominent families of that state. Grandfather
Benjamin Brown came from England and both he and
his son Robert practiced law in Virginia. The maternal
grandfather, John Whitehead, was prominent as a
banker at Lynchburg. Grandfather Benjamin Brown
married a Miss Lewis, who was a first cousin of Colonel
Meriwether Lewis, whose name is first in American
history as the first of the two noted explorers and path-
finders who left on the annals of history the name of
the Lewis and Clark expedition. The trrandmotlior on
the maternal side was Anna Mahoney, who was a noted
Irish beauty in her time. Both grandfathers were
planters and slave holders and men of more than ordinary
ability and influence. .Judge Brown's father was at one
time 'commonwealth attorney in Virginia and for years
served as an elder in the Presbyterian church. He was
a forceful and able man and did much to impress his
personality on his community. Of the six children of
Robert M. Brown and wife, "Thomas L. and Alfred L.
are now deceased. The living, besides Judge Brown, are:
Mrs. Collin Stokes, a widow, living at Covington, Vir-
ginia; A. D. Brown of Amhurst county, Virginia, and
Benjamin W., a surgeon in the United States Marine
Hospital and Health Service, who spent two years in
China and now has charge of the United States Station
at Yokohama, Japan. Judge Brown comes of a long-
lived family. His father lived to be eighty-two and
his mother' died at the age of ninety-one years, she
passing away in January, 1914. William P. Gorsuch, a
son of his sister by a former marriage, is now professor
of oratory in the University of Chicago.



TEXAS AND TEXANS



1599



Eobert Meriwether Brown when a boy attended school
at Higginbotham Academy until he was fifteen years old.
Then, like many other Virginia boys, his youth was in-
terrupted by the outbreak of the great war between
the states and he was at once thrown into the most
serious responsibUities of existence. At the age of six-
teen he volunteered in Company E of the Second Virginia
Cavalry, under General Mumpford and also served under
Fitzhugh Lee and under Judge J. E. B. Stuart, and
fought all through the war in the army of Northern
Virginia. Altogether his army record comprises twenty-
one engagements and among these he fought at Cold
Harbor, the Wilderness, Seven Pines and at Yellow
Tavern. At Yellow Tavern a bullet struck him in the
head and for three months he lay critically ill in a
hospital. How near he came to being a sacrifice to
the cause of the south is indicated by the deep scar
which still plows his forehead.

At the close of the war Mr. Brown returned home,
still a young man, though a veteran soldier, and took
up the study of law. He afterward practiced in his
native state from 1867 to 1885. In the latter year he
moved to Texas, locating in Jackson county, where he
remained two years. Then on March 27, 1887, he estab-
lished his office in Wharton and in the past quarter
of a century has enjoyed a position second to none in
the local bar. While Judge Brown is in no sense a
politician, he represented his county in the state legis-
lature during the twenty-ninth and thirtieth assemblies
and altogether has served three terms as special district
judge, his appointment having been made by the local
bar. For four years he served as city attorney for
Wharton.

On February 16, 1888, Judge Brown married Miss
Nina Warren of Brook Haven, Mississippi, a daughter
of Jesse Warren, circuit clerk of Lincoln county, Mis-
sissippi. Mrs. Brown died in 1897. Their two children
were Nellie and Alfred P., both of wham died in infancy.
Judge Brown is one of the best known Masons in south
Texas. He is past master of Wharton Lodge, No. 621,
A. F. & A. M. ; past king of Wharton Chapter, E. A. M. ;
belongs to Euthven Commandery, K. T., at Houston, and
is past district deputy master of the Grand Lodge of
Texas. He also affiliates with the Order of the Eastern
Star and is a past chancellor commander of the Knights
of Pythias. Among his fellow veterans he has a popular
place and at the present time is serving as commander
of Buchel Camp, No. 228, of United Confederate
Veterans at Wharton. Eeligiously he inclines to the
Presbyterian faith.

Clem Dyer Myeks. Eepresenting the younger genera-
tion of business enterprise in Fort Bend county, Mr.
Myers is proprietor of a first class mercantile establish-
ment in Ifichmond and besides his business career has
also been prominent in the public life of this county,
having served two terms as county clerk. He belongs
to a family whose members have been intimately asso-
ciated with the development of Texas since pioneer
times.

He was born in Eichmond, January 8, 1879, and is
a son of the venerable August Myers, who for many years
was in business at Eichmond and is now living in honor-
able retirement at Eichmond. August ilyers was born
in Germany and came alone to America when eight years
of age. At the age of fourteen he located in Fort
Bend county, which has ever since been his home. It
was given to him to accomplish a generous success in
life and yet it is said that he never failed in business
and that from first to last his word was as good as his
bond. He came to Texas about 1842, when Texas was
still a Eepnblic, and has lived here throughout the state-
hood period. It has been his privilege to know Texas
under three flags. His first work in Fort Bend county
was as manager of a stock ranch and he subsequently
got into the general mercantile business, which he con-



tinued until 1905, at which date he retired. At one time
he was given official honor as treasurer of Fort Bend
county. When the Civil war came on he enlisted in the
cause of the south and served as a brave and eflScient
Confederate soldier.

The maiden name of the mother of C. D. Myers was
Florence Dyer, a daughter of Judge C. C. Dyer, her
father being a native of Tennessee, and her mother a
native of North Carolina. Judge Dyer was a son of a
planter and slave owner, and also a lawyer, who came
to Texas and settled in Fort Bend county about 1826,
only four or five years after the first Austin colony was
planted in this state. His daughter Julia, a sister of
Florence, is said to have been the first white female born
in Fort Bend county, among the American settlers.
Judge C. C. Dyer had the distinction of serving as one
of the first county judges of Fort Bend county. There
were four children in the family of August Myers and
wife, one daughter, Mrs. J. E. Winston, being deceased,
and the others being Leon A. and J. V.

Mr. Myers in 1904-5 was associated with his father in
business and then took a place as bookkeeper for J. T.
Dyer for one year. This was followed by his election
to the office of county clerk of Fort Bend county, in
which he served for two terms or four years. After
the expiration of his official term he bought a grocery
business and has continued that enterprise ever since,
building up and extending the trade throughout this
section of the county, having one of the largest stocks
in Eichmond.

On September 14, 1899, Mr. Myers married Miss
Mattie McElwee, daughter of D. C. and Mattie (Foster)
McElwee. Her grandfather, Ean Foster, was one of the
very earliest pioneers of Texas. The four children born
to their marriage are named Florence, Dorothy, Clem
D. and Eandolph Foster. Mr. and Mrs. Myers are
members of the Episcopal church. Besides his business
Mr. Myers owns a nice home in Eichmond and has other
property interests.

Judge William I. McFarlane. One of the ablest
men in the public life of Fort Bend county. Judge
McFarlane is now administering the fiscal affairs of this
county in the office of county judge. A native of Fort
Bend county and having been identified with this section
practically all his life, .Judge McFarlane is known
to the entire citizenship, and by his fine record as a
citizen and business man has commended himself for
promotion to the larger offices.

William I. McFarlane was born in Eichmond April
10, 1869, a son of Isaac McFarlane. Isaac McFarlane
was a native of Edinburgh, Scotland, and was eight
years of age when brought to America by his father.
The paternal grandfather first located in the West
Indies, where he secured some valuable estates and later
went on with his family to Boston, where they remained
a short time and from there to Eichmond, Texas. The
grandfather was a physician during his career in Scot-
land and his death occurred soon after locating at
Eichmond. Isaac McFarlane continued to make his
home in this town after the death of his father, and
when the Civil war broke out he east his fortunes with
the South and went to the front as a member of Terry's
famous Texas Eangers. As a member of that splendid
body of cavalrymen he participated in many of the
hardest fought engagements of the war and made a
fine record as a soldier, having never been sick or in-
capacitated and never absent a day from active service.
He fought at Bowling Green, at Charlevoix, at Murfrees-
boro, at Perryville, at Chickamauga, at ^Missionary
Eidge and Lookout Mountain, at the battle around
Atlanta and in practically every engagement in the
Mississippi Valley from the beginning to the end of
the war.

After his gallant service as a soldier Isaac McFarlane
returned to Eichmond and established a general iner-



1600



TEXAS AND TEXANS



cantile business, which he continued up to 1S94. He then
became a cotton buyer and continued in that work until
1899, at which time ill health forced him to retire. Two
years later occurred his death, and he was esteemed as
one of the finest citizens and most upright business man
of Fort Bend county. The maiden name of his wife was
Sarah Highani, who was born in Louisville, Kentucky,
and she and her mother had come to Texas just before
the war and located at Eichmond. Mrs. McFarlane is
still living and makes her home in Houston. Of her nine
children, three died in infancy and the others, except
the judge, are named as follows: Lenn E. of Houston,
S. E. of San Antonio, Mrs. Stewart Clark of Stanton,
Illinois, Mrs. L. C. Perkins of Houston, Mrs. E. E. L.
Wessendorf of Eichmond.

Judge McFarlane received his early education at St.
Mary's institute in San Antonio and at St. Mary's
at Galveston, completing his higher education at Baylor
University in Waco. With the completion of this liberal
education he engaged in business with his father until
1896, at which time began his career as a public official
with his election to the ofSce of tax-assessor. He re-
mained in the oiBce for two terms, and his health failing
towards the end he retired from routine business for a
time and spent much of his time on the outside, looking
after the various business interests which were entrusted
to his management. In 1906 occurred his election to the
office of tax-collector, and he held that post for four
years. Prior to that time he had management under Cap-
tain Bassett as tax collector for four years. In 1912 came
his preferment to the highest and most important distinc-
tions in coimty official honor with his election as county
judge, there being no opposition after his nomination
was announced. He is also at the present time president
of the Jay Bord Democratic Association, the most im-
portant organization in the county, and has been at the
head of this civic and political organization for five years.

In 1891 Judge McFarlane married Miss Fannie Booth,
of Mississippi, daughter of Eobert Booth. Mrs. McFar-
lane 's father died in ilississippi and her mother resides
at her home in Eichmond. Their one chUd is Clarence
I. McFarlane, who at the present time is a student in the
University of Texas at Austin. Judge McFarlane is affili-
ated â– with the Knights of Pythias Lodge and the Ma-
sonic Lodge, and is one of the popular members of the
society and all classes of citizenship in this county.

Judge McFarlane is a man of striking appearance, has
a magnetic personality, and on the performance of the
past has a large promise of future usefulness in the
public and business affairs of his home state. He con-
trols one of the fine farms in the county, situated just
east of Eichmond, and among his other valuable prop-
erty interests is a handsome new residence in Eichmond,
where he and his family reside.

Emil Locke is familiarly known to the people of San
Antonio and vicinity as one of the large land dealers
and developers in this part of the state, and also as the
general manager and originator of the Alamo Heroes
Association, a movement that was organized in 1913
for the purpose of building a magnificent $2,000,000
monument to the heroes of the Alamo in San Antonio on
the Alamo battlefield. The Locke family is one of the
oldest connected with the Prince Solms-Braunfels col-
ony, famous in the German history of Texas. The
parents of Emil Locke were Otto and Johanna (Schulze)
Locke. The father was born in New Braunfels in 1859,
and there he has passed his days. He is the son of Joseph
and Maria (Claussen) Locke. They were members of
the famous Solms-Braunfels colony who arrived at and
settled the town of New Braunfels in 1S4.5, and they
passed their remaining days in that community, both
having lived to a fine old age.

Otto Locke, who still lives in the house in which
he was born, is one of the wealthy land owners of the
region and has extensive property interests in New



Braunfels and Comal county. The maternal grand-
father of Emil Locke was Karl Schulze, also a New
Braunfels colonist, who arrived here from Germany in
1846 and who has spent all his life in this place. He,
it is said, established the first brick yard in New
Braunfels, and was one of the prominent and pros-
perous men of the colony.

Emil Locke was born in New Braunfels, Texas, Feb-
ruary 18, 1882, and received his early education in the
public schools of his locality. He was still young in
years when he engaged in business enterprises on his
own account. He was in business for some time in
the City of Mexico, also in Karnes county, Texas. In
1907 he came to San Antonio, which city has since rep-
resented his home and the city of his 'principal activ-
ities. One of the greatest pieces of work with which
he has been identified is that of an irrigation project
that will reclaim more than fifty thousand acres of
semi-arid land located within a few hours ride of the
city of San Antonio. The plans call for two dams, one
across the Cibolo creek, three miles distant from the
town of Bracken, and the other over the Dry Comal at a
point two and a half miles from the town of Corbyn.
The project at this time is being held in abeyance tem-
porarily on account of numerous land suits against
the Medina Valley Irrigation Company, but that the
project will eventually be carried out is the determina-
tion of Mr. Locke and his associates.

Another of the activities with which he has identified
himself is the Alamo Heroes Monument Association, the
same having been organized by him in 1913 for the
purpose of bulding a monument to the heroes of the
Alamo. Mr. Locke, the orginator of the project, planned
all the details of the extensive state-wide scheme for
financing the project, and at the present time is actively
engaged in the management of the enterprise. The
monument is to be an immense affair, some eight
hundred feet higfh, and will be erected on the Alamo
Plaza in San Antonio, at a cost of $2,000,000. Mr.
Locke has proven himself a true son of Texas, and one
who is concerned in developing the natural resources
of the state, as well as in perpetuating the memory of
historical events of note.

In 1903 he was married to Miss Ora May Layton,
who was born in HaUettsville, Texas.

Eight Eev. N. A. Gallagher. For more than thirty
years bishop of Galveston, a diocese which during the
first eight or nine years comprehended the vast area of
the state of Texas, the Eight Eev. Bishop Gallagher is not
only eminent as a churchman and administrator of a
great religious organization ; he has been for years an
energizing force working for civic and social better-
ment through all the populous region over which his
episcopal supervision extends. To the observer and
student of men, Bishop Gallagher appears as one in whom
are combined in excellent proportion the qualities most
needed for his complex office. He is the broad minded
man of action, a forceful executive, a scholarly judge
of the world and its affairs. His life for forty-five years
has been devoted to his church and humanity, and from
parish priest to bishop his record has been one of
unremitting work and service. Not alone the members
of hts church, but citizens of all classes speak with
affection of the good bishop who for so many years has
had his home at St. Mary's Cathedral and has lent his
influence and energy to sustaining the city in its crises
and promoting its welfare in its years of prosperity.

Nicholas Aloysius Gallagher was born in Temperance-
ville, Belmont county, Ohio, February 19, 1846. His
parents were John and Mary Ann (Brinton) Gallagher.
The grandfather was Edward Gallagher of County West-
meath, Ireland, who was identified with the revolutionary
party of 1798, and had to seek refuge in America. He
lived in Chester county, Pennsylvania, where his son,
John Gallagher, was born, grew up to the career of







'a/i/j^-^a^



TEXAS AND TEXANS



1601



farmer, aud afterwards moved to Ohio, locating first in
tliat portion of Guernsey county, wliicli afterward be-
came Noble county, and finally in Belmont county, but
in 1856 returned to Noble county, where his death oc-
curred in 1S66. Mary Ann Brinton was a native of
Pennsylvania, and died in Noble county at the age of
eighty-six .years. Both were industrious farming people,
were good" Catholics and active both in the word and
practice of their religion.

During the first ten years of his life, Bishop Gallagher
lived in Belmont county, and attended the public schools
of Temperanceville. When the father returned to Noble
county he was placed under the care of Rev. Father
Jacquet, who lived on property given to the church by
Edward Gallagher. Under that tutor he studied Eng-
lish, grammar, -Latin and Greek, and the ordinary school
branches until ISG'2. Then, at the age of sixteen, he
began his active preparation for the priesthood, entering
Jdount St. Mary's of the West at Cincinnati, where he
pursued the regular seminary course, including studies in
Latin and Greek, higher mathematics, phDosophy, and
theology and English literature. He completed his course
at the Seminary in 1868. Already he had received the
tonsure and the minor orders from Archbishop Purcell.
In 1868, when the diocese of Columbus, Ohio, was formed
from the archdiocese of Cincinnati, with Eight Eev.
Sylvester Horton Eosecrans as first bishop. Father Gal-
lagher was the first priest to be ordained by the new
bishop, the ceremony taking place in the Holy Cross
Church at Columbus on Christmas Day of 1868. For a
Bumber of years he served as a priest of the Columbus
diocese. From 1868 to 1871 he was assistant to St.
Patrick's church in Columbus, and in the latter year was
appointed president of the St. Aloysius Seminary of
Columbus, an institution which had been established by
Bishop Eosecrans for the education of the priests of the
diocese. In 1876 he returned to St. Patrick's church as
pastor. The death of Bishop Eosecrans in- October,
1878, was followed by the appointment of Father Gal-
lagher by Archbishop Purcell as administrator of the
vacant diocese, that appointment being confirmed from
Eome. He discharged the duties of this office with rare
prudence, energy and ability. On the appointment in
August, 1880, of the Et. Eev. John Waterson as bishop
of Columbus, Father Gallagher returned to the pastorate
of St. Patrick's church, but at the same time was given



Online LibraryFrancis White JohnsonA history of Texas and Texans (Volume 4) → online text (page 2 of 177)