Francis White Johnson.

A history of Texas and Texans (Volume 4) online

. (page 24 of 177)
Online LibraryFrancis White JohnsonA history of Texas and Texans (Volume 4) → online text (page 24 of 177)
Font size
QR-code for this ebook


discerned between the lines as well as in bold type,
much that should prove inspiring to other youth who
have reason to feel that fate has dealt unkindly with
them, and spur them on to emulate the accomplishments
of the Judge.

Pkof. Charles M. Moore. As secretary of the Board
of Education of Dallas, Prof. Moore now occupies an
important place in educational circles of north Texas
and for a number of years as teacher and as executive
has been prominent in the school work of this state. He
has been identified with educational work for twenty
years, and has had many honors and positions which
indicate his usefulness and standing as one of the fore-
most schoolmen in this state.

Charles M. Moore was born near Troupe in Smith
county, Texas, in 1872, a son of Andrew J. and Dorothy
(Melton) Moore, his father being a farmer in Smith
, county. His early education was obtained in the public
schools at Troupe, and at the age of fifteen he entered
the Summer Hill Select School at Omen, in Smith
county, where he was graduated with the highest honors
of his class, and as salutatorian in 1893. He then at-
tended the Sam Houston Normal College at Huntsville,
and in 189.5 he graduated, again with the highest honors,
and the winner of the Peabody Scholarship Medal. Dur-
ing his school days he had engaged in teaching, and
from 1896 to 190l"was connected with the public schools
of Palestine, being principal of one of the ward schools
of that eity. During 1900-1901 he served as president
of the East Texas Teachers ' association.

Prof. Moore came to Dallas in 1901 to take the posi-
tion of principal of the William B. Travis public school
in this city. His work with that school for eight years
stamped him as one of the ablest managers in the city
and increased his reputation throughout educational cir-
cles of this state. In March, 1909, he resigned to ac-
cept the secretaryship of the Dallas Board of Education,
a post to which he had been elected in February preced-
ing. Prof. Moore succeeds to the office which for
twenty-five years was occupied by the late Captain
Thomas G. Terry.

Professor Moore was married in 1902 to Miss Lulu
Barrows of Tyler, Texas. They became the parents of
two children : Charlotte, now deceased, and Charles M.,
Jr. Prof. Moore and family reside at 3100 Cole Avenue
in Dallas.

"William Henry Eussell. Prominent among the
members of the Deaf Smith county bar stands William
Henry Eussell, who by his attainments and achievements
has become more or less a familiar figure in the courts
of Northwestern Texas. He also is not unknown to
official life, having for three successive terms served as
county judge, and both as jurist and legist has ever
maintained the dignity and high standing of the legal
profession. At present he is a resident of Hereford,
where he is in the enjoyment of a large and representa-
tive practice, and where his widespread popularity indi-
cates the universal esteem in which he is held. William
Henry Eussell is a Tennesseean, born at Dixon, October
18, 1878, a son of William and Louise Hortense (Wooten)
Eussell. His father, a native of Killarney, Ire-
land, emigrated to America as a lad, and grew up in the
Province of Ontario, Canada. At the age of twenty
years he came to the United States and located at Dixon,
Tennessee, where he identified himelf with the lumber
business and became a wealthy and prominent operator.
In 1883 he made removal to Texas, locating in Lamar
county, where he continued to be engaged in business as
a lumberman, also having large interests in this line in
Arkansas and the (then) Indian Territory. He died at
Dixon, Texas, in February, 1892, at the age of fifty-six



years. William Eussell was married in Tennessee to
Miss Louise Hortense Wooten, a native of the Big Bend
State, and she still survives her husband and lives at •
Paris, Texas, aged sixty-four years. Five children were
born to them, William Henry being the fourth in order
of birth.

William Henry EusseU was five years of age when he
accompanied his parents to Texas, and here he secured
his preliminary educational training in the public schools
of Paris, Texas, and a pri%-ate school conducted by the
well-known educator, Prof. Goudy. After some prepara-
tion, he entered the law department of the State Univer-
sity, at Austin, Texas, and was graduated therefrom in
1901, following which, for one year, he practiced at
Austin. In 1902 he came to Hereford and opened offices,
and two years later became the Democratic candidate
for the office of county judge, to which he was subse-
quently elected three times. He was known as a fair
and impartial judge, wise in his decisions and firm in
upholding the best traditions of the judicial office. Since
his last term, Mr. Eussell has been engaged in private
practice, and has been connected with a number of
complicated cases, in which his legal ability has brought
him prominently into public notice. He is a valued
member of the national, state and county bar associations,
and is known as one of the men who have been active
in forwarding the best interests of the profession in this
part of the state. Fraternally, he is connected with the
Masons, the Odd Fellows, the Elks and the Woodmen
of the World, and has passed all the chairs in his lodges.
With his family, Mr. Eussell attends the Christian
church.

On March 1, 1905, Mr. EusseU was united in marriage
at Hereford with Miss Nora Alice Daniel, daughter of
Mack Daniel, known as an early settler of Cook county,
Texas. Her father is now deceased, but Mrs. Daniel still
survives and makes her home at Hereford. Three children
have been born to Mr. and Mrs. Eussell : Artis Horace,
born August 17, 1907; Jesse Miller, born March 15, 1909;
and William Henry, Jr., born November 24, 1911, all at
Hereford.

Mr. Eussell is a self-made man, having relied upon
his own resources s'ince his college days when he paid
for his own tuition by working in his spare time. His
success in this part of Texas has led him to encourage (
others to settle here, confident that men of ambition and
energy can find numerous opportunities to win position
and independence.

William H. Daxa. Public-spirited and influential,
the originator of the ' ' city beautiful " ' idea in Dallas, and
a leading figure in preparing the city charter of Dallas
in 1907, William H. Dana has accomplished a great work
in the direction of affording enjoyment to the masses
and developing their power to appreciate the beautiful;,
and through his efforts for civic reform and honest and
efficient government has proved himself a citizen of wide
usefulness. He was born, in 1863, at Eochester, New
York, a son of John H. and Maria E. (Wiborn) Dana,
both members of prominent New York families. His
ancestors on the paternal side were among the founders
of Eochester, New York, some of them having settled
there ere the town was started. He belongs to the
family which produced Charles A. Dana, founder and for
thirty years editor of the New York Smi. and
Richard" Henry Dana, the noted poet and essayist, also
James Dwight Dana, who was born at Utica, New York,
February 12, 1813, and while yet a young man became
an expert mineralogist and geologist. Graduating from
Yale College, he was sent out. in 1838, as a scientific
observer in the United States exploring expedition under
Captain Wilkes, visiting the Antarctic and Pacific oceans,
and making collections of niineralogical and geological
specimens of great scientific value. He was for some
time associate editor of the "American Journal of
Science," and in 1846 became professor of natural history



TEXAS AND TEXANS



1667



and geology in Yale. He gained a world-wide distinc-
tion as a scientist, and published several works, among
them being ' ' A Manual of Mineralogy ' ' and a ' ' Text
Book of Geology. ' '

Brought up in his native city, WiUiam H. Dana was
there educated. Since 1885 he has been a resident of
Dallas, and during the time has been active in promoting
its best and highest interests.

By heritage and cultivation Mr. Dana is a true lover
of the beautiful in both art and nature. He was, and
is, the original ' ' city beautifier ' ' of Dallas. Mayhap
as a result of having been reared in such a beautiful city
as Eoehester is, he has always taken a deep interest in
forestry, floriculture and landscape beautification, and
he has made jjersistent and comnienilalile cffoits to have
his ideas carried out in his adnptod rity, with results
that are already apparent, ami will I.M..ni,' luore so as
the years go on. For many y.-ais Mr. hana lived on
Bryan street in East Dallas, in a .■li:iriiiin;^ Imnie, which,
with its surroundings, comprised a noted beauty spot,
calling forth words of admiration from all passers-by.

Although an enthusiast and an idealist, Mr. Dana is
eminently practical in carrying out his ideas and projects.
He is a business man well versed in civics, and believes
in getting a dollar 's worth of work for every dollar
expended from the public treasury. In Jsnuary, 1906,
he brought about and was chairman of the public meet-
ing that resulted in a number of streets in East Dallas
being paved, an improvement that was greatly needed,
and which Mr, Dana had advocated, both in speeches
and in letters tn the local press, for several years. In
i;»l] tlie rity .■nipldvcd George E. Kessler, an' authority
on lify iilaiiiiiiii;, to come to Dallas at a large salary
and make siii;t;estii)ns for improving and beautifying
the city. It is a singular and noteworthy fact, recalled
by many of Mr. Dana's friends, that the Kessler recom-
mendations, made in a voluminous report, followed
almost identically the things that Mr, Dana had been
urging upon Dallas for twenty years, without any hope
or expectation of reward to himself,

Mr. Dana originated the idea of having the city place
the freight yards and terminals in the Trinity River
bottom, also of having a $2,000,000 terminal station for
all railroads near the river branch, which is now in
process of construction. He made valuable suggestions
for the planting and care of shade trees in the city, a
sub.iect upon which he could well qualify as an expert.
Such things as the placing of flags and flag poles in
the public parks and school grounds, the building of a
fine boulevard around the city, the setting aside of public
playgrounds and nurseries for the children, and of teach-
ing the public the value of wholesome outdoor life among
beautiful surroundings, have long been actively urged
by Mr, Dana, His contributions to the local press on
aesthetic forestry indicate a deep study and wide knowl-
edge of this fascinating subject.

In addition to the artistic and aesthetic side of civil
life, Mr, Dana has also taken a very active and prominent
part in shaping the present city government of Dallas,
As a member of the charter commission which drew up
the present city charter, adopted in 1907, and under which
Dallas came under the commission form of government,
Mr. Dana gave up a great deal of his time, thought and
activities in the preparation of that excellent document.
On the other hand, when, in 191.3, the movement was
started to amend the 1907 charter by the insertion of
34 new amendments, Mr, Dana entered heart and soul
into the campaign opposition to these proposed changes,
deeming them inimical to the people's rights and feeling
certain that they had been inspired by certain special
interests and public service corporations selfishly for their
own welfare,

Mr, Dana is a member of Grace Methodist Episcopal
Church, South. He was married in Sherman, Texas, to
Miss Florine R. Roberson, who was bom, reared and
educated in that city, being a graduate of Kidd-Key
College,



James Stewart, A noteworthy record in the public
service of Texas is that of James Stewart of Fort
Davis. Jefi: Davis county was organized in May, lhS7,
In the first election of county officers James Stewart
was chosen county and district clerk. From that time
to this the citizens of the county have elected and re-
tained him in office. He has served as county and
district clerk continuously longer than anyone who has
ever been elected to the office in the State of Texas, and
throughout the greater part of this time he has never
had any opposition to speak of in his candidacy for the
office. While this record is not unique, it is nevertheless
one case among a small number, and it is a high
tribute to the individual popularity and ability of any
citizen to so long and continuously enjoy the confi-
dence of the people,

James Stewart, who is one of the honored pioneers of
this west Texas county is a native of Ireland, born June
12, 1845, He was educated in the national schools of
Ireland, and later studied for a time in the Christian
Brothers College at Londonderry. When he was eigh-
teen years old he entered the Civil Service in Ireland,
and continued in that work until he resigned in order
to come to America at the age of twenty-one. After
spending a few months in the east, he came to Texas
in 1867, and this state has been his home now for forty-
seven years. During thirteen years of this time he fol-
lowed railroading, was a stationary engineer, and in
general machine work.

Then in February 1880 he came out to Port Davis,
which at that time was a post situated in the midst
of a great unfenced range occupied only by the herds
of a few cattlemen then operating in this country. For
about three years he was engaged in the operation of a
small steam flour mill, and then entered the general
merchandise business, which he conducted for two
years. After this, as already stated, in May, 1887, he
assisted in the organization of the county, and was
elected to the office of county and district clerk. For
many years also he owned the leading hotel at Fort
Davis which was conducted under his proprietorship,
although Mrs. Stewart was the active manager and the
real head of this popular establishment.

At Fort Davis on AprO 27, 1885, Mr. Stewart mar-
ried Miss Marie A. Fink. Mrs. Stewart through her
own career and that of her father is very intimately as-
sociated with Old Fort Davis. Her father. Captain
Theodore Fink, was an officer in the United States
army, and was with the troops which first established
Fort Davis on the western frontier of Texas before
the Civil war. He subsequently returned to Michigan,
and in that state organized the first Michigan regi-
ment of A^olunteers for service in the Civil war, but his
death occurred in Detroit May 2, 1861, whUe the regi-
ment was still in process of organization, Mr, and Mrs.
Stewart are the parents of one son and one daughter,
named James Kenneth and Grace Frances. Mr. Stew-
art was reared in the Catholic faith, and in politics is
a Progressive Democrat and actively interested in local
politics. He and his wife have a very attractive home at
Port Davis, and a source of great pleasure to Mr.
Stewart is his beautiful garden, where he satisfies his
love for flowers and plants, and spends much of his
leisure time. He also possesses an excellent and well
selected library, and is fond of books and all the good
things of life. Besides his other interests he engages
to a considerable extent in real estate business in Port
Davis.

M.iT M. Newell. Among the old and honored families
of Texas, few have been longer residents and none have
borne the responsibilities of citizenship with greater
usefulness than the Newell and Moore families, both of
which are represented by Mr. Mat M. Newell, the present
county clerk of Port Bend County, and for many years
a leading business man of Richmond,

Mr. Mat M. Newell was born in Richmond, his present



1668



TEXAS AND TEXANS



home, August 11, 1869. His parents were John E. and
Emma (Moore) Newell. By descent the family is the
result of a mingling of English and Irish stock. Both
parents were born in Texas, which fact indicates that
the settlement here was during the pioneer epoch. The
Moores were Alabama people, while the NeweUs came
originally from North Carolina. John D. Newell, the
paternal grandfather, served in the Texas-Mexican war.
The parents had just two children, and besides the county
clerk there is his brother, John D. Newell of Kichmond.

Mr. Mat M. Newell engaged in the land and abstract
business. The Fort Bend County Abstract Company
was organized in 1897, of which he is secretary and
general manager. This company has a complete abstract
sketch of the county, and its office has been a medium
for a large amount of real estate business, in the past
fifteen years.

Mr. Newell has alwaj-s been a loyal Democrat and one
of the hard party fighters. In 1902 he was elected to
the office of county clerk. He was again elected county
clerk in 1910 and is now serving a second term.

In 1901 Mr. Newell married Miss Florence Blackman,
who was originally from Alabama. Their two children
are Emma Cecelia and Mathew Moore, Jr. Mrs. Newell,
who is one of the cultured women of Eichmond, is active
in local social circles.

Captain John G. Young. Now living retired in Sher-
man at the age of sLxty-nine, Captain John G. Young, a
son of one of the state's early Indian fighters and
military leaders, has himself had a record of varied
experience as a soldier, rancher and business man. He
is now in the declining years of his life, and though he
has suffered much from ill-health and impaired hearing,
is still mentally alert and talks pleasingly and intelli-
gently of his early life in this state. Except for the
time spent in the Confederate army during the war,
John G. Young has lived his entire life in Texas, and
was born in Eed River county, February 20, 1845.

His parents were Colonel William Cocke and Sophie
Thomas Gleaves. The Young family was established
in Texas by two brothers, Abraham and Dan Young,
the latter being the father of Colonel W. C. Young. The
family was of Holland-Dutch and French stock. Abraham
Young in his day was quite a wealthy man, owning
something like a hundred slaves and half of an entirg
county in Central Tennessee. Dan Young, while pos-
sessed of independent means; was not so well-to-do as his
brother. The ancestry of the Gleaves side of the family
is also of interest. Sophie Thomas Gleaves was born
in Davidson county, Middle Tennessee, about 1816, a
daughter of Michael Gleaves, who was the first sheriff of
Davidson county, the county seat of which is Nashville,
the state capital. He was" one of the first settlers of
that county. Closely related were the various families,
the Gleaves, Donaldson, Dean, Eobinson, and Felix Mc-
Kay. General Donaldson, who became a general in the
Confederate army and was killed in Tennessee, married
a Branch, and Colonel W. C. 's mother was also a Branch.
President Andrew Jackson 's wife was Sarah Donaldson,
a cousin to Sophie Thomas Gleaves. In the Branch
relationship there should be mentioned that member
who was at one time governor of North Carolina and
later a member of the United States senate, a son of
whom was John O'Brien Branch, who also sat in the
United States senate, and as a brigadier general under
General Lee was killed at the battle of Antietam. Gov-
ernor Colquitt, the present governor of Texas, has
relationship with the Young family through his family
connection with the Branches. A half brother of Col.
W. C. Young was James Murray, whose daughter is the
wife of former Senator J. W. Bailey of Texas. The
Gleaves family were of Scotch and English stock. A
brother of Sophie Thomas Gleaves was John E. Gleaves,
at one time clerk of the chancery court of Nashville,



previous to the war, and who also held the same office
during the period of hostilities and untU his death.

Colonel William Cocke Young was born in Tennessee
May 12, 1812, and came to Texas in 1834, locating in
Eed Eiver county and engaging in the practice of law.
He was one of the prominent men in that section of the
state, served as sheriff of his county two terms, and
later as county attorney. Associated with Colonel Boiis-
land, he gained some fame as an Indian fighter in pioneer
days through the Eed Eiver district, and at the outbreak
of the Mexican war raised a regiment of volunteers of
which he was commissioned colonel, with Bousland as
next in command in the capacity of lieutenant colonel.
Following the Mexican war Colonel Young resumed his
law practice and in 1851 moved to Shawneetown in
Graysou county. In 1857 he was appointed United States
niai^lud uf his district, holding the office for three years
ai)(l ilini u^i-niiii to take part in the war between the
Xoilii :iii.l tlir South. He was one of many who were
(allfW iiitn iiinsiiltation with Jefferson Davis prior to
the outbreak of hostilities, and on returning from his
last visit with the president of the Confederacy raised
the Eleventh Eeginient of Texas Cavalry and went into
active service. He led his regiment until failing health
compelled him to resign and return home. During the
unsettled conditions of society at the close of the war.
Colonel Young met his death at the hands of a member
of a nefarious society that existed in Northern Texas.
One of his fellow citizens had been shot down, and the
murder was traced to the work of this band of outlaws,
and while Colonel Young was in search of the body of
the victim he himself was killed while near his home.
One of Colonel Young 's sous succeeded in tracing the
muiderer to his regiment in the Confederate army,
demanded and received his surrender, took him to the
spot where his father had been so foully killed, and
there some of the colonel's own negroes quickly strung
up and summarily exacted the penalty of death from
the assassin.

Colonel W. C. Young was three times married. His
first marriage was to Sophie Thomas Gleaves. Their
children were: James D.; Sallie, who married Thomas
W. Randolph; Mary A., wife of Joseph Grain; Nancy
B., wife of Marion Adams; John G., of Sherman, and
Sophie, who married E. T. Benge. Colonel Yoimg after-
wards married a Miss Hutchinson, and their two children
were Dan and Frank. This third wife was Mrs. Ann
Black, and their two children were Simpson M. and
Margaret, who married J. B. Davenport.

The boyhood of John G. Y'oung was spent in different
localities in North Texas, and in 1858 his father settled
in Cooke county. All the education he ever had so far
as formal attendance at school was concerned was limited
to eleven months. His own mother died when he was
only four years of age. He lived at home with his father
until 1861, and then, at the age of sixteen, enlisted for
service in the Confederate army. He spent the first
winter as a soldier in Arkansas, was then sent to Corinth,
Mississippi, but soon afterwards on account of youth
and ill health received a discharge. A year later he
returned to the service in the same company, and con-
tinued until the last gun had been fired. He was in
the thick of the fray at Chickamauga, Murfreesboro and
Franklin, and was in the campaigns about Atlanta, Nash-
ville, Bentonville. Knoxville, Dalton, Eesaca, New Hope
Church, Greensboro, and a number of other less important
engagements. In 1863, when General Longstreet ordered
an advance upon Knoxville, Mr. Young was part of Tom
Harrison 's Brigade. As they advanced they came upon
a Federal command which was taken by surprise, and
on the following day Mr. Young, with Jim White and
Ben Biggerstaff, went out on an independent scout and
captured a Federal soldier. Biggerstaff suggested that
they make the captive run the gauntlet and not allow
hini to get back to his command alive, but Mr. Young,
though only in his eighteenth year, while his companions



TEXAS AND TEXANS



were mature men, took a vigorous stand in opposition to
such barbarity, and made such a convincing and emphatic
argument that the captive was set free. In support of
his contention, he brought in the Gahen rule regard-
ing the treatment of soldiers of a hostile force, and
though he really did not understand the full contents
of the rule, he advanced his views so successfully as to
save the life of the prisoner. It is a matter of note
that both Biggerstaif and White were later captured
and spent twelve months in a Federal prison. Mr.
Young throughout his career as a soldier made an excep-
tionally efBcient and creditable record, and was finally
discharged with his regiment in 1865. ^Vhile returning
to Texas he and his comrades encountered the party
which had charge of the Confederate treas-ury, which
was being moved in a lumber wagon to a place of safety.
They offered their services as additional guard, but



Online LibraryFrancis White JohnsonA history of Texas and Texans (Volume 4) → online text (page 24 of 177)