Francis White Johnson.

A history of Texas and Texans (Volume 4) online

. (page 3 of 177)
Online LibraryFrancis White JohnsonA history of Texas and Texans (Volume 4) → online text (page 3 of 177)
Font size
QR-code for this ebook


the appointment of vicar general of the diocese by the
new bishop.

The predecessor of Bishop Gallagher at Galveston was
Eev. C. M. DuBois, who after many years of devoted
service in his post as Bishop of Galveston, resigned in
1881. On October 19, 1881, Father Gallagher was
appointed Titular Bishop of Canopus, and Administrator
of the Diocese of Galveston. The brief for this appoint-
ment was dated Januarv 10, 1882, and he was consecrated
in office April 30, 1882, by Bishop Edward Fitzgerald
of Little Eock, Arkansas, in the St. Mary 's Cathedral at
Galveston. Bishop Fitzgerald had previously been a
pastor of St. Patrick's church in Columbus. The diocese
of Galveston as constituted at the time Bishop Gallagher
took charge was a vast and unwieldly territory, extend-
ing almost a thousand miles north and several hundred
miles west of the Cathedral city. With the increase of
population, the duties of the episcopal office became in-
creasingly onerous, and at Bishop Gallagher's request in
1890, the diocese was divided and two-thirds of the
original territory was constituted as the diocese of
Dallas, where the bishop of that diocese has since
resided.

On December 16, 1892, the title as well as the office of
Bishop of Galveston was liestowed on him. For thirty-
two years Bishop Gallagher has remained at the head
of the churches of this diocese, his spiritual supervision
extending over a territory forty-three thousand square
miles in extent. In the original diocese, when he came
to Galveston in 1882, the Catholic population was about



thirty-five thousand. In 1900, nine years after the
separation of the Dallas diocese, there were about thirty
thousand communicants in the Galveston area, and at the
present time it is estimated that the Galveston diocese
has a Catholic population of about sixty-five thousand.

EiCHABD J. Owen. For more than twenty years a
resident of El Paso, Mr. Owen is one of the foremost
representatives of the profession of civil engineering
in the southwest. His services have been retained on
many large projects, aud capitalists aud promoters
of large constructive enterprise throughout this part
of the country have come to regard him as one of the
best authorities on all matters pertaining to general
engineering.

Eichard J. Owen, who has won his various promotions
on his individual merit and by actual achievements,
was born in Shelbyville, Kentucky, January 13, 1865,
a son of David and Matilda Owen. His early educa-
tion was in. the public schools of Kentucky, and after
leaving high school he took four years work in the
Kentucky Military Institute at Frankfort, where he
was graduated in 1882. From 1882 to 1886 he was as-
sistant professor of mathematics in the Kentucky Mil-
itary Institute. His proficiency in mathematical and
physical sciences had manifested itself early in his
school career and it was along the lines of achievements
marked out by this faculty that his career has pro-
gressed. From Frankfort, after his career as teacher, he
spent two years as a practical civil engineer, and then
came to Texas. Between his earlier school days and his
college education, he earned money to advance himself
by employment in a store in Kentucky. While in col-
lege he was a member of the Signa Alpha Epsilom
Fi-aternity Chi Chapter and also an active member of
the Philomathean college literary and debating society.

Early in the year 1888 Mr. Owen came to 'Texas and
for two j'ears was teacher of mathematics of Belle Plains
College, in Callahan county. In 1890 he located in El
Paso and has practiced his profession there ever since.
The only exception to this cdntinucd residence in El
Paso was four years, durini,r which he was superin-
tendent for the Pullman Company at ilexico City. Dur-
ing his many years residence in El Paso he has travelled
extensively and his services have been called for on
numerous projects at a distance, including a number of
large irrigations, railroads and other undertakings both
in the southwest United States and in Mexico. One of
the largest enterprises with which he has been associated
was located in Mexico, and was a project for the ir-
rigation of a tract of land consisting of one hundred
thousand acres or more. He is now engaged in the
survey of the disputed river boundary between Texas
and New Mexico, being upon the Texas side in the
dispute.

Mr. Owen on January 20, 1902, at El Paso married
Miss Lita M. Eaton, a daughter of Col. E. W. Eaton,
of Socorro, New Mexico. He and his wife attend the
Methodist church, which is their preference among the
various denominations. In politics Mr. Owen is a Demo-
crat, interested as a voter in good government, but not
active in party affairs. For recreation he is fond of
hunting, and the more aesthetic accomplishment in
music and theatres and the books of his home library.
His private reading aside from that in his own pro-
fession is directed usually along historical lines, and he
has a well selected library to supply him with oppor-
tunities for indulging his taste in general literature.
Mr. Owen is a loyal citizen of west Texas, a thorough
believer in its opportunities and resources, and is one
of the local citizens whose judgment is based upon
long and thorough experience and whose opinions con-
cerning the country in any respect would be thoroughly
reliable. Mr. Owen is a member of the Society of
American Engineers. At two different times he served



TEXAS AND TEXANS



in the Kentucky State Guards, once with the rank of
captain, and once as major.

Brown Brothers. An important acquisition to the
financial interests of the state of Texas generally, and
of the city of Austin particularly, is exemplified in the
enterprise of Brown Brothers, a firm which has been in
successful operation here since 1883. The firm has at
its command immense sums of money which it is pre-
pared to loan to borrowers, simply to earn interest
for the corporations which it represents, these latter
being: The Scottish American Mortgage Company, Lim-
ited, of Edinburgh, Scotland; and the American Mort-
gage Company, Limited, of Edinburgh. The concern
invests annually a half to one million of dollars in farm
loans and has at present over three millions of dollars
in mortgages on farms and city real estate.

At the time that this firm was organized, state laws
regarding land titles were not well defined, and the
firm of Brown Brothers has done more than any other
firm in Texas towards getting the passage of proper leg-
islation put through the Legislature in the protection
of these titles. This is one of the two distinct services
rendered by the company to the state, the other being
the bringing here from Scotland and England of im-
mense sums of money for the development of wild
Lone Star land. B. L. Brown, ,the former directing
head of the firm, died in November, 1910, and since that
time E. L. Slaughter has been the executive director of
the concern.

E. L. Brown practiced law in Glasgow, Scotland, be-
fore coming to the United States, having been educated
in private schools and later graduating from Oxendean
House, Berwickshire, Scotland. He was married in his
native land to a daughter of Colonel Lamb, of the
British Army, and his widow is still living in Austin.
They had no children.

J. Gordon Brown was born in Scotland, where he was
educated in Willfield House, Berwickshire, and on com-
ing to the United States located in Galveston, Texas,
where he was for some years engaged in the cotton
business before he and his brother, E. L. Brown, or-
ganized the firm of Brown Brothers, of which he is
still a member. Mr. Brown is unmarried.

E. L. Slaughter was born in Travis county, Texas,
in 1872, and is a son of Capt. A. B. and Anna (Eanea)
Slaughter, natives of Virginia, the latter of whom still
survives and is a resident of Travis county, Texas. Dur-
ing the war between the South and the North, the father
served as a captain in the army, and saw active fighting
throughout that struggle. E. L. Slaughter received his
early educational training in the public schools of Travis
county, Texas, following which he took his academic
course in Southwestern University, Georgetown, from
which institution he was graduated in 1894. His law
studies were pursued in the University of Texas, and his
degree was secured in 1907. He has since been con-
nected with the firm of Brown Brothers, and is widely
known in business, realty and financial circles through-
out the state. He was married at Columbus, Ohio, in
December, 1912, to Miss Helen Boling, daughter of
Charles F. Roling, a civil service oflScial. They are
consistent members of the Methodist Episcopal church.
South.

Thomas Dudley Wooten, M. D. The late Dr.
Thomas Dudley Wooten has a remarkably useful and
commendable career in his profession, and those years
that were passed in devotion to his work in Austin
added much to his already wide promineuce as a physi-
cian and surgeon of unusual skill and accomplishments.
His history is one of unusual interest and there attaches
to it much of importance because of the position in the
medical profession to which his sons have attained in
the years they have thus far devoted to their chosen



work, concerning whom some brief mention will appear
in later paragraphs.

Thomas Dudley Wooten, M. D., was born in Barren
county, Kentucky, March 6, 1829, of Virginia parents,
who moved from that state in the early days of Ken-
tucky 's settlement in the southern part. Joseph Wooten,
his father, acquired extensive land interests in Kentucky
after his removal there and established a large planta-
tion which made him a wealthy and prominent man in
his section of the state. His son, Thomas Dudley, was
the youngest but one of a family that included several
sons, and when he died, Thomas Dudley Wooten, then
fifteen years of age, found himself virtually the master
of the farm and the slaves. The boy grappled suc-
cessfully with the task he saw before him and he was
successful in the work, discharging the duties of pro-
prietor of several years, and in the meantime gaining
such education as his spare time permitted him to ac-
quire in the country schools, and devoting his evenings
to diligent study.

Nearing his majority, young Wooten began the study
of medicine, and after a year's reading in the office of
Dr. George Eogers in the town of Glasgow, he entered
the medical department of the University of Louisville,
in the fall of 1851. At that time that institution was
second to none in the Union in the efiicieney of its med-
ical faculty, numbering among its professors such men
as the elders Flint, Gross, Yandell, Drake, Caldwell,
Silliman and Miller. Before completing his medical
course he was married to Miss Henriette C. Goodall,
a daughter of Dr. Turner Goodall, a successful practi-
tioner of Tompkinsville, Monroe county, Kentucky.

In the spring of 1853 he was graduated and entered
straightway into active practice at Tompkinsville, Ken-
tucky, but removing in 1856 to Springfield, in south-
eastern Missouri, where for the first year he was en-
gaged in building and improving a home and estab-
lishing a farm near the young and growing city. This
accomplished, he at once resumed his professional life
and he was soon established in a lucrative and con-
stantly growing practice. Although then, as afterwards,
he pursued the practice of his chosen science in all its
branches, and set up no claims as a specialist, from the
first his marked success and skill in surgery, gynecology
and treatment of diseases of the eye, rendered his repu-
tation in those special directions a matter of special com-
ment and approval.

When the war began Dr. Wooten had laid the founda-
tions of a comfortable fortune and a successful career,
which were swept away by the progress of the four
years of war. In June, 1861, the Doctor enlisted as a
private in the regiment of Col. Eichard Campbell. Upon
the organization of the Confederate forces in south-
western Missouri a little later, he was made surgeon
of Foster's Eegiment, known as the Second Eegiment,
Seventh Division, Missouri State Troops, in command of
General McBride. After the battle of Oak Hills. Wil-
son's Creek, August 10. 1861, he was appointed chief
surgeon of McBride 's Division. Following the battle
of Pea Eidge he was appointed Surgeon General of all
the Missouri forces, vice Dr. Snodgrass, resigned. When
the Missouri army was turned over to the Confederacy,
and, together with the Arkansas troops, formed into the
First Army Corps of the West, he was chosen by the
medical staff of the army for the post of Medical Di-
rector of the Corps, with staff rank as Major, General
Sterling Price commanding.

Upon the transfer of this command to the east of
Mississippi river, and after the battle of Farmington,
General Price was placed in command of the District
of Tennessee, embrrtcing the states of Tennessee, Missis-
sippi, Louisiana, and part of Alabama, and Dr. Wooten
was made Medical Director of the district. At that time
the field and hospital service being consolidated and
there being some 15,000 wounded and sick in the hos-
pital, and continual engagements in the field, the labor



TEXAS AND TEXANS



of the chief medical officer was immense, and required
exercise of the greatest vigilance, firmness and skill, all
of which qualities were displayed abundantly and satis-
factorily by Dr. Wooten. When General Price was again
ordered to the west and placed in command of the dis-
trict of Arkansas, Dr. Wooten retained his position on
his staff and served as medical director of that district
to the end of the war, being for a time on the staff of
General Magruder, during the last raid of General
Price into Missouri.

Dr. Wooten 's rapid rise and sustained success in the
army was somewhat remarkable. Only thirty years old
at the outbreak of hostilities, with but four years of
residence in Missouri, wdth no previous military experi-
ence, no practical prestige or professional affiliations,
he enlisted as a private, and after a few months, in
competition with some of the most eminent and influ-
ential medical men of St. Louis and the west, he arose
to the highest medical rank in the service of the state,
and to the medical directorship of the western Army
Corps, retaining to the close his position on the staff
and his place in the confidence and affection of Mis-
souri's devoted old warrior and chieftain.

At the end of the war, completely ruined in fortune,
he settled in Paris, Texas, though urged by friends to
locate in some of the larger cities of the south. He
very soon built up a very large practice. Still main-
taining his early aptitude and skill in the direction above
referred to, and reinforced by a four years' experience
in the active and stirring emergencies of the field and
hospital, his success in all the more difficult tasks of
surgery and general practice fully sustained in -civil life
the reputation won in military circles. During the ten
years he remained in Paris, besides a large local prac-
tice, he drew patients from a large part of northern
and eastern Texas, and from Arkansas, Louisiana and
Indian Territory.

In January, 1876, Dr. Wooten came to Austin, and
here he spent his remaining years of activity, main-
taining the same reputation for skill that has made
his career a part of the history of the Medical Pro-
fession of the state, requiring no detailed mention.

When the University of Texas was finally inaugurated
in 1881, Dr. Wooten was appointed by Governor Roberts
one of the first regents of that institution, to which
position he was reappointed by Governor Ireland. He
was from the first a most active and earnest friend
of the university, and always labored for its successful
and efficient establishment with a zeal and fidelity
that never faltered. Being the only member of the
regency who was resident at the state capitol, the
greater part of the incessant vigilance and labor re-
quired to properly administer the affairs of the institu-
tion fell on his shoulders during the years of his in-
cumbency on the Board of Regents.

In January, 1885, Dr. Ashbell Smith, President of the
Board, having died in the previous autumn, Dr. Wooten
was unanimously elected president of the Board of
Regents of the University of Texas, and it may be safely
said that to him, more than to any other one man, the
University of Texas owes its present existence and pros-
perity. Dr. Wooten died on August 1, 1906, at Eureka
Springs, Arkansas.

The sons of this well known Texas physician and
surgeon, Dr. Joe S. and Dr. Goodall H. Wooten, still
continue the work of their father under the name of
T. D. Wooten 's Sons. Another son, Dudley G. Wooten,
is at present located in Seattle, Washington, where he
is engaged in the practice of law. He is the author of
two Histories of Texas, and was a contributor to
southern literature to a great extent. He was a repre-
sentative in Congress for two terms and likewise was in
the Texas State Legislature from Dallas, Texas, for
three terms. Mr. Wooten is a man of exceptional edu-
cation and has the degrees of M. A. from Princeton



University, Ph. D. from Johns Hopkins, and is a grad-
uate in law from the law university of Virginia.

Dr. Goodall H. Wooten took his M. A. degree from
the University of Texas and Dr. Joe Wooten was
awarded his B. S. degree from the same institution. Both
were graduated in the same class from the College of
Physicians and Surgeons of Columbian University, New
York, and both took post graduate courses in prominent
hospital clinics of New York City. In 1895 the two
young men began practice in Austin, in association with
their father, and when he passed away they continued
the work under the firm style previously recorded.

Dr. Joe Wooten was married on April 21, 1897, to
Miss Blossom Greenwood, a daughter of Col. T. B.
Greenwoods, of Palestine, Texas. She was a student
in the University of Texas and a graduate of that in-
stitution. They have two children, — Greenwood and
Blossom G. Wooten.

Dr. Goodall Wooten married in 1899, Miss Ella New-
some of McKinney, Texas, becoming his wife. She is a
daughter of W. B. Newsome, a banker and wealthy
planter. Their children are Thomas Dudley, Jr., and
Lucy.

Both brothers are members of the Masonic frater-
nity. Dr. Joe has affiliations with Austin Lodge, No.
12, A. F. & A. M., the Knights Templar and Ben Ilur
Temple A. A. 0. N. M. S. He is also a member of the
Ancient Order of Red Men and of the Fraternal Order
of Eagles, while his brother's Masonic relations are
confined to the Austin Lodge, A. F. & A. M. He, too,
is a member of the Order of Eagles.

James W. McClendon. The name McClendon has as-
sociations with two different fields of service in Texas.
The mother of the Austin lawyer above named was
twenty-two years in the active missionary work, under
the auspices of the Woman 's Board of the Methodist
Episcopal Church South, among the poor Mexican popu-
lation chiefly along the Rio Grande border. Her per-
sonality and service are well known by all familiar with
this branch of philanthropic effort. In the profession
of law her son is one of the ablest men at the state
capitol, is still a young man and continued prominence
and achievement may be expected of his career for
many years to come.

Now a member of the firm Fiset, McClendon & Shel-
ley, attorneys, in the Littlefield building, James W.
McClendon was born at West Point, Georgia, November
1, 1873, a son of James W. and Annie E. (Thompson)
McClendon. The McClendons are of Scotch stock, while
the Thoni|.soii f.miily was of mingled English and Welsh
ancestry. .I:iiii<'^ W. Afi-Clendon, Sr., was a merchant at
West Pniiit. I ii'.ii L:i;i. -served as mayor of the city and
lived thpii' until liis , loath in 1882." Owing to the con-
dition of Iiis licalth he was unable to take active service
as a soldier during the Civil war, but at his own ex-
pense maintained a private commissary for the benefit
of the Confederate government.

Mrs. Annie E. McClendon, whose unselfish devotion
to welfare work in southern Texas has been mentioned,
is a daughter of Dr. A. C. C. Thompson. He was a phy-
sician of high standing and education in Georgia, was
a gifted linguist, speaking seven different languages
and throughout the Civil war was surgeon with the
Third Georgia regiment. His home was at Trwinton,
Georgia, on the direct line of Sherman 's march to the
sea. His daughter Annie, who was at home at the time,
endured the hardships and discomforts of those who were
forced to be an unwilling witness of Sherman 's bummers
and their devastating work through the center of the
southern states. In 1889, some years after the death
of her husband, Mrs. McClendon entered mission work
under the Woman's Board of the Methodist Episcopal
Church South. Until 1911 she was a missionary on the
Mexican border, though for two years she was located
at Guadalajara, Mexico. At Laredo, Texas, and also



1604



TEXAS AND TEXANS



at New Laredo, across the river in Mexieo,
sehool was conducted under her management, and be-
sides her work in instructing she devoted herself untir-
ingly to looking after the social and economic welfare of
the poorer classes of Mexicans in her vicinity. After
twenty-two years in this active benevolence, she retired
in 1911 on account of age and health, and now in her
sixty-ninth year is on the retired list of the Woman's
Board of the Methodist Episcopal Church South. While
busy with her practical duties, she also found time to
write and contribute to the publications of her church
many articles descriptive of the social conditions in the
districts where her lot was cast.

James W. McClendon, Jr., who was educated in the
common schools of Georgia and lived there until he' was
sixteen years of age, came to Texas in 1889 and entered
the University of Texas, from which he received his
BacheloT.'s degree in 1895, and graduated from the law
department with the degree of LL. B., in 1897. Taking
up practice at Austin, he was associated with the firm
of Fiset & Miller from 1897 to 1902. The firm name
then became Fiset, MiUer & McClendon, a relationship
which continued until 1904, when another change oc-
curred and Fiset & McClendon continued partnership
until 1913. In the latter year George E. Shelley was
admitted, making the firm as above stated, Fiset, Mc-
Clendon & Shelley.

While he has a large private practice, Mr. McClendon
is also devoted to the broader interests of the legal pro-
fession, and served as president of the Travis County
Bar Association during 1912-13, is a member of the
Judiciary Eeform Committee of the Texas State Bar
Association, and a member of the Local Council for
Texas of the American Bar Association. He is also
prominent in JIasonry, being aflSliated with Hill City
Lodge No. 456, A. F. & A. M., at Austin; Philip C.
Tucker Chapter No. 1, Rose Croix, Fidelity Lodge of
Protection No. 4, and Galveston Consistory No. 1, thirty-
second degree, of the Scottish Eite. He belongs to the
Texas Eho Chapter of the Sigma Alpha Epsilon College
fraternity. His church is the Methodist Episcopal South.

On December 14, 1904, Mr. McClendon married Miss
Annie Hale Watt, a daughter of W. T. Watt of Waco,
Texas. Her father was born in North Carolina, during
the war between the states and saw service in the Confed-
erate navy, and after the close of the war came to
Texas and became a planter and merchant near Hearne,
and is now president of the Provident National Bank of
Waco. Mr. McClendon and wife have two children:
Mary Anne and Elizabeth. Their home is at 1600
Pearl street.

James Grah.\m McNary. Banker, lumber manufac-
turer, and director and stockholder in half a dozen of the
largest and best known corporations of El Paso, Mr.
McNary is a young man with a
business achievements. Thirty-fiv

used his brief active lifetime to exceptional purpose,
and is now one of the most influential leaders in El
Paso's commercial life.

James Graham McNary was born at Bloomington,
Indiana, August 24, 1877. He was fifth in a family of
seven children, four sons and three daughters, whose
parents were William P. and Elizabeth (Graham) Mc-
Nary. His father, who was born in Washington county,
Pennsylvania, September 16, 1839, has been throughout
the greater portion of his active career a minister of the
United Presbyterian church, being still actively iden-
tified with his work, although at the age of seventy-four,
and now residing on a model farm in Loveland, Colo-



Online LibraryFrancis White JohnsonA history of Texas and Texans (Volume 4) → online text (page 3 of 177)