Francis White Johnson.

A history of Texas and Texans (Volume 4) online

. (page 30 of 177)
Online LibraryFrancis White JohnsonA history of Texas and Texans (Volume 4) → online text (page 30 of 177)
Font size
QR-code for this ebook


had been discontinued and the partnership between him-
self and his father dissolved soon after the beginning
of the war. In 1866 Mr. Loving once more resumed
merchandising at Weatherford, and continued in that
line for three years. He also assisted in buying and
collecting cattle for the firm of Loving & Goodnight,
and after the death of his father in 1867 it became
necessary for him to go to Colorado territory to assist
Mr. Goodnight in closing up the copartnership. In the
spring of 1868 he eolleeted a large herd of cattle, and
started with them across Indian territory and through



western Kansas to Colorado. This was a drive fraught
with many risks and hardships, and whUe in southwest-
ern Kansas at Great Bend of the Arkansas Eiver the
outfit was stopped by a large war party of Comanche
and Kiowa Indians, and it was only after a prolonged
parley that the Indians refrained from an attack and
allowed the cattlemen to proceed. Mr. Loving remained
in Colorado three months, assisting Mr. Goodnight in
selling out the cattle and winding up the business, re-
turning to Texas in January, 1869.

The career of such a man as Mr. Loving affords many
incidents which are interesting of themselves and fur-
nish illustrative matter on the conditions and difficulties
which surrounded the prosecution of the cattle business
during the decade following the close of the war. The
literature of the Texas cattle industry has already been
enriched by description of a number of adventures in
which Mr. Loving had a part, but for this publication it
will be necessary to condense the abHndaut material at
hand, and to give only one or two striking incidents
with some detail.

In 1870 Mr. Loving bought one-half interest in the
cattle and ranch owned by Charles E. Elvers, then
located in San Valley in Palo Pinto county. At the close
of the year they divided the cattle, and Loving ranched
on Dillingham prairie in Jack county, some six or eight
miles from the Eivers ranch. In the spring of 1871 the
two ranches made a joint cow hunt of several days, west
and north of their range. Loving and Eivers were both
in the work, and while on the hunt a trade was agreed
on. by which Loving bought out Eivers' entire stock of
cattle, horses and outfit, and was to take possession as
soon as the hunt was over. They camped on the night
of the 15th of June, 1871, at the Loving cattle pens, on
Dillingham prairie, the two outfits camping some three
hundred or four hundred yards apart. There were some
twelve or fifteen men in each outfit, and some fifty to
sixty head of horses in each. The horses were put under
guard that night as there was great danger of the Indians
running them off. Some time in the night the Indians
attacked the Eivers' camp and horse herd, wounding
Mr. Eivers, and driving off the horses, some fifty odd
head. The shooting aroused the Loving outfit, who
rounded their horses into a close bunch and prepared to
defend them, but the Indians did not attack them. A
messenger from the Eivers camp brought the word that
Mr. Eivers was shot, and wanted Mr; Loving to come to
his camp at once. On the arrival of Mr. Loving he
found Mr. Eivers wounded by a gun shot, which after-
wards proved fatal. The sale to Mr. Loving of the
Eivers herd as agreed upon was made final by Mr.
Eivers before his death, after making proper reduction
for the horses taken by the Indians.

Mr. Loving continued in the cattle-raising business
on Dillingham prairie under many disadvantages, as the
Indians continued to depredate on his range, and at sev-
eral different times drove off all the horses owned and
used bv him in herding and looking after his cattle,
and he 'had several engagements with the Indians, and it
was almost a miracle that he passed through all these
dangers with his life. In 1S7.3 he was in the to\vn of
Palo Pinto when some boys came from Keechi and re-
ported that a band of Indians had nin them some dis-
tance that morning, on the north side of the Brazos
river. A party was hastily gotten up to go over and
find the Indians, and Mr.' Loving joined them. The
trail of the Indians was soon found, and followed to
the foot of a mountain, near the mouth of Keechi Creek,
on the Brazos Eiver, and there it was found that the
Indians had gone up on the mountain, which was so steep
and po covered with rock and timber that it was almost
impossible to ascend it on horseback. Accordingly six
of the party left their horses and took the trail on foot,
while the remaining six followed with the horses as best
they could. The advance party when within three or
four hundred feet of the top heard the sound of horses'



TEXAS AND TEXANS



1685



feet up on the level. Tliiiiking the Indians had heard
their pursuers and were running away, the men ran
forward as fast as they could, and on reaching the level
were in plain view of about twenty Indians. The In-
dians had been in camp since some time in the forenoon,
and were then rounding up their horses preparing to
start for the purpose of raiding some settlement near by.
The Indians and their pursuers discovered each other
at the same time and opened a lively fire on each other,
the Indians keeping up the most unearthly yelling that
ever was heard in those mountains. The men had run
some distance up the mountain, and in consequence of
the fatigue and the excitement were somewhat unsettled
and in no condition for accurate shooting, still they
sent the bullets fast and thick over towards where the
Indians were, and in turn the Indians cut the leaves
and small limbs from the trees over the boys' heads,
showing that they too were excited and shooting too
high. In a few minutes the Indians fled down the
mountain on the other side, leaving six or eight horses
and a lot of their cami' ciiniiaui.-. The six men back
with the horses had hen,! tlir >l ting, and pushed for-
ward with all possible li;i-tr in lirl|. the boys on foot, and
reached the top of the nicnintaiii just in time to see the
last Indian disappear on the other side. No attempt
was made to pursue the Indians just then, as the moun-
tain side where they disappeared was very rough and
rocky.

In August, 1873, Mr. Loving moved his cattle from
Dillingham prairie to Lost Valley in Jack county, some
twenty miles or more north of the Dillingham prairie
ranch. The Indians still continued to depredate on his
horses and cattle at the new ranch. A few days after
reaching Lost Valley the Indians ran through his camp
one night, whooping, yelling and shooting, and ran off
nine head of horses belonging to some beef buyers, who
had stopped for the night at Mr. Loving's camp. In
June, 1874, the Indians killed one of Mr. Loving's cow-
boys by the name of J. K. P. Wright, some four miles
from the ranch, near the foot of a mountain on the west
side of the valley. ' The mountain is known in that coun-
try as the Wright Mountain, taking its name from the
murdered cowboy.

The last raid" on Mr. Loving's stock was made in
May, 1875, when a party of six Indians visited the ranch
one night, coming in on foot, and mounted themselves
on his horses. The rangers camped close by were noti-
fied early the next morning, and following the trail,
overtook and killed five of the Indians. Lieutenant Long
was in command of the rangers, and deserved and re-
ceived much praise for the good work done on that
occasion. That ended the Indian trouble in that coun-
try, as no raids were made by them after the killing
of the five by Lieutenant Long.

While Mr. Loving had no further Indian troubles, he
found himself badly involved financially. He had
bought several stocks of cattle at range delivery and
had bought them mostly on time and had met his obli-
gations up to 1876. But on account of heavy loss of both
cattle and horses run off by the Indians, and an addi-
tional loss of cattle by white thieves, he found himself
unable to pay his debts maturing in 1876. A portion of
his creditors, refusing to give an extension, forced him
to make an assignment, when he turned over to the re-
ceiTer all cattle, horses and other property owned by
him, having previously let his homestead near Weather-
ford go in payment of debt. He owned about three
thousand head of cattle at the time he failed.

That left him with little or nothing snve his oxperi-
ence and energy. He was then in the piiine .if lifi> and
not in the least discouraged. He crmtinni'd t.. live in
Lost Valley, and by 1882 had accunmlato.l s,.iiif. ,attle
and land, and became one of the organizers of the Loving
Cattle Company, of which he was general manager for
ten years, up to 1892. During the last quarter of a
century he was regarded as one of the leading cattlemen



not only through his personal influence, but as a result
of his extensive operations, and iu spite of many vicissi-
tudes ami ii|.s ,iud downs of fortune, such as practically
all 'l',\:i~ rattlriiien experienced, he came out on the suc-
eessiiil vh|( , :iip1 his individual success was in keeping
^\llll In- |iiuiinii,-nce as an executive otUcial of the Cattle

\\ ith tl . M) ^.iiiization of the Cattle Raisers Association
in l"eliiuar\, ls77, Mr. Loving became secretary and
was re-elected at each annual meeting until his death.
In 1879 he was also elected treasurer and held both
offices until 1893. From 1893 until his death in 1902
he was general manager of the association. For many
years the office of the secretary was at Jacksboro, but
in 1893 was removed to Fort Worth, and Mr. Loving
claimed that city as his home until his death.

Hox. J.'iMEs C. Wilson. United States District At-
torney for the northern district of Texas, with office at
Dallas and residence at Fort Worth, a position to which
he was appointed by President Woodrow Wilson in
August, 1913, James C. Wilson is a grandson of the noted
pioneer cattleman, Oliver Loving, and was named for his
uncle, the late James C. Loving, two eminent Texans
whose careers are sketched in preceding paragraphs. Mr.
Wilson is a son of Thomas and Maggie (Loving) Wil-
son. His mother was the youngest child of Oliver
Loving, and is now living as Mrs. C. B. Raines at Min-
eral Wells, Texas. Thomas Wilson was born in Fayette-
ville, Tennessee, served four years in the Confederate
Army from that state, came to Texas in 1867, locating in
Palo Pinto county, and was a citizen of much prominence
during the early days in that county, which was then on
the western frontier of settlement. He was elected to
the office of sheriff of Palo Pinto county, and his death
occurred in 1879 at .Vustiu wliile attending the first
meeting of the Tex.is Sheiitl'-:' Association. Mr. James
C. Wilson has a sister, the «ife of Dr. J. H. McCracken,
a distinguished physician of Mineral Wells, and a
former president of the Texas State Medical Association;
and a brother, Horace Wilson, engaged in the Cattle
commission business iu Fort Worth.

Mr. Wilson has been a successful lawyer in North
Texas for the past eighteen years, and has long been
one of the active young leaders in politics and affairs.
He was born in Palo Pinto, received his education in
the public schools of his native town, Palo Pinto, and
of Mineral Wells, and in Weatherford College. He
graduated from the law department of the University of
Texas in 1896, and while a student of law was a class-
mate of Morris Sheppard, now junior senator from
Texas. In the contest for the appointment as district
attorney of the northern district Mr. Wilson had the
support of Senator Sheppard, while Senator Culbertson
had presented the name of a Dallas attorney. In August,
1913, President Wilson nominated the Fort Worth at-
torney for the office to succeed W. H. Atwell, and the
nomination was confirmed by the senate.

After graduating from the university Mr. Wilson was
in the practice of law at Weatherford until November,
1912, and then moved to Fort Worth, and on November
15th of the same year was appointed assistant attorney
of Tarrant county. During his residence at Weatherford
Mr. Wilson was for two years assistant county attorney
of Parker county, and later served as county attorney
for three terms, being first elected in 1902. ' For three
terms he was also chairman of the Parker county Demo-
cratic executive committee.

Mr, Wilson was married in Parker county to Miss
Esther English, who was born at Pictou. Nova Scotia,
and came to Texas as a teacher. They are the parents
of three children, James C, Jr., Horace and Emily
Loving.

Asa C. Wilson is essentially a Texas product. He
is one of the best known and most prominent men in



1686



TEXAS AND TEXANS



the city of Dallas, which has represelited his home since
the year 1902. ilr. Wilson is manager of his late fa-
ther's estate, and finds his duties in that respect suffi-
cient to occupy his time and attention, though he has
found time to devote to military affairs in the state
and has a highly creditable record as a member of the
National Guard of Texas.

Mr. Wilson was born on his father's ranch, known fa-
miliarly as the "Twelve Mile House," because of its
distance from Waco, in McLennan county. He is the
sou of Jay C. and Margaret N. (Naler) Wilson, of
whom brief mention is here set forth.

Jay C. Wilson was born in St. Joseph, Missouri. He
enjoyed excellent educational advantages, being a grad-
uate of Yale University, and almost immediately after
he received his degree he joined the gold-seekers in the
rush to the Black Hills of South Dakota. It was not
until 1871 that he came to Texas, locating at Waco,
where he became prominent and prosperous. This was
in the well-remembered days prior to the advent of the
railroads into this part of the state, and Mr. Wilson es-
tablished himself on a ranch just twelve miles from the
then frontier town of Waco. His place, ' ' Twelve Mile
House, ' ' was one of the best ranches in that part of the
state, and there Mr. Wilson accumulated a comfortable
fortune, consisting mostly of property interests in Mc-
Lennan county, in Waco, the city of Dallas, and in other
parts of the state. He died August 3, 1910. The wife
and mother, who was born in Georgia, came to Texas in
1870, and she is living in Dallas.

Asa C. Wilson attended the public schools of McLen-
nan county until he was graduated therefrom, and there-
after ente'red Baylor University, at Waco. In 1893 he
entered the third-year class in the civil engineering
course at the Agricultural & Mechanical College of
Texas, at College Station, at which time former Gov-
ernor Lawrence Sullivan Eoss was president of the insti-
tution. Finishing his studies there, he entered Bingham
Military School, at Asheville, North Carolina, and he was
there distinguished by becoming an honor graduate of
that famous school, having attained the rank of major
of a battalion of infantry. It was this training that in-
duced his later military service, in which he made a most
enviable record.

After his return home, Mr. Wilson associated himself
with the First National Bank of Waco, and was thus
occupied for six years. He removed to Louisiana in 1900,
where he resided two years, and in 1902 he came to
Dallas, and was there Cashier of the Texas National Bank
for several years, or until its consolidation with the
American Exchange National Bank, Upon the death of
his father, in August, 1910, Mr. Wilson became manager
of the estate of the senior Wilson, and he maintains his
office in the building at No. 1.514 Main street, one of the
properties included in the Wilson estate.

As has been previously mentioned, Mr. Wilson has dis-
tinguished himself in his military service as a member of
the Texas National Guard. He ifirst enlisted as a private
in Company K, Second Texas Infantry, known as the
"Mayor's Guard," of Waco, on October 27, 1896. He
was soon promoted to the post of corporal, and later
sergeant of the company, and when the Texas Volunteer
Guard, as the organiyation had been known up to that
time, was reorganized by the late Brig.-Gen. Thomas
Scurry, in the latter part of 1899, Mr. Wilson was com-
missioned by Gov. Joseph D. Sayers as first lieutenant.
Company K, Second Texas Infantry, and was in com-
mand of that company when it won the first prize as
being the best-drilled company in the military es'ab-
lishment of the state. He then became acting battalion
adjutant of the First Battalion, Second Texas Infantry,
commanded by Brig.-Gen. Gordon Boone. On July 6,
1906, he was commissioned by the late Gov. S. W. T.
Lanham as captain and paymaster of the Texas Na-
tional Guard, and served in that capacity until December



3, 1908, when, upon the death of Maj. George T. West,
major and paymaster general, Texas National Guard,
Captain Wilson was commissioned by Governor Thos. M.
Campbell as major and paymaster general, with that
rank, serving from December 4, 1908, until November 15,
1913, when he was promoted by Gov, 0. B. Colquitt to
be lieutenant colonel of the Second Infantry, Texas Na-
tional Guard. He served with that rank until November
30, 1913, when, after more than seventeen years of con-
tinuous service in various capacities, he was, upon his
own request, placed upon the retired list of officers of the
Texas National Guard,

Mr, Wilson is a Roman Catholic in his religion, and
fraternally he is identified with the B. P, O. E., Dallas
Lodge No. 71, and with the Order of Hoo Hoo, No.
20430.

On December 5, 1901, Mr. Wilson was married at Dal-
las to Miss Clara S. Burke of Louisiana. She died Octo-
ber 10, 1913, at Dallas, the mother of two children:
Thomas Crittenden Wilson, born in New Iberia, Louisi-
ana, October 25, 1902, and Pamela Clara Wilson, born
at Dallas, Texas, August 10, 1905.

Oliver W. Lee. When there is any movement on
foot which will be of benefit to the people of Monday,
Texas, or of the surrounding country, one of the men
whom one is fairly certain to find among the leaders
is Oliver W. Lee. Mr. Lee is prominent in the life
of this locality, not only politically and commercially
but socially as well. Mr. Lee is mayor of the city at
present and his regime has been a highly creditable one.
He has brought to bear on political problems, the straight-
forward business methods for which he is well known
and has gained the respect of his political enemies and
the increased admiration of those who are his friends
and supporters. Mr. Lee is, however, a man whom
everyone likes, and has few enemies, even political ones,

Oliver W. Lee was born in Jackson county, Tennes-
see, on the 9th of January, 1867, His father, Eussell
K. Lee was born in Tennessee and lived in that state
during the greater part of his life, ' He was a farmer
and when he came to Texas in 1900 he continued to
farm, his property being located in Knox county. Dur-
ing the Civil war he served in the Confederate army,
part of the time as a member of an infantry regiment
and part of the time in the cavalry. He saw much
active service and took part in some of the hardest
fought battles of the war. He and his wife are both
members of the Baptist church and his wife is especially
active in church work. Mr. Lee married in Tennessee,
his wife being Miss Scytha Smith, a native of that
state. There were only two children born to Mr. and
Mrs. Lee, both sons, of whom Oliver W, Lee was the
eldest and is now the only one living.

Until Oliver W. Lee was eighteen years of age he
attended the public schools of that part of Tennessee
in which he lived. He spent his time, when he was not
in the school room, helping his father with the work
of the farm, but when he was eighteen years old he de-
cided to start out for himself. He began as a school
teacher and for a few years was thus engaged. Then
for about two years he operated a sawmill. His next
position was in "the surveying and map making depart-
ment of the Pennsylvania Oil Company. After this he
went to farming and until he came to Texas this Fas
his means of livelihood.

It was in October, 1899, that he came to this state and
located in Munday, and he has resided in this county
ever since. When he first came to this section he fol-
lowed farming, this being his occupation for about three
years. He next went to Benjamin, the county seat,
where he worked in the office of the sheriff and tax col-
lector. After five years of this work he was elected to
the office of tax assessor. He served one term in this
office and then came to Munday. Here he established
the business in which he is successfully engaged at pres-



TEXAS AND TEXANS



1687



ent. This business is general insurance, rentals and
collections.

In politics Mr. Lee is a member of the Democratic
party and he has always taken a very active and promi-
nent part in politics. He is now serving on his second
term as mayor of Munday. In religious matters Mr.
Lee is a member of the Baptist church. In the fraternal
world he belongs to the Knights of Pythias and to the
Improved Order of Red Men. He is a member of the
Munday Commercial Club and is an important factoi
in the work of this organization, now being its vice-
president. He is, in short, one of the leaders of Mun-
day, one of her big men and a man whose citizenship
she could ill afford to lose. For recreation Mr. Lee
would rather turn to the rough life of the camp with
plenty of hunting than to anything else.

Mr. Lee was married in Clinton county, Kentucky, on
the 11th of November, 1906, to Miss Irene Belle Smith,
a daughter of Mr. and Mrs. P. H. Smith, of Clinton
county. Mr. and Mrs. Lee have become the parents of
four children, namely: Irene Seytha, Russell Harvey,
Grace Irwin, and Robert Sydney.

J. G. Mills, M. D. The history of the Gill Well, at
Dallas, is an interesting one and is but another exempli-
fication of the fact that some of the world 's greatest
discoveries are made through sheer accident. In 1902
the mayor and board of aldermen of the city of Dallas
let a contract for a deep well to secure water for munici-
pal purposes. Work was commenced, and at a depth of
1910 feet the drillers encountered a copious flow of hot
mineral water, which could not be used for domestic
purposes and was accordingly permitted to run to waste.
It was feared by the succeeding administration, as well
as by the taxpayers whose money had been used to sink
the well, that a serious blunder had been perpetrated, but
decided to have an analysis made of the waters, in the
hope that they might be found of chemical or medicinal
value. Wherefore in 190.5 Dr. J. G. Mills, a practicing
physician of Marlin, Texas, with wide experience in med-
ical practice in connection with thermal and medicinal
waters, was sent for. Due analysis demonstrated that
this well contained virtues which make it one of the most
remarkable of its kind in the Southwest and that the
money disbursed in sinking it could not have been ex-
pended more .iudiciously. Since that time Doctor Mills
has been at the head of the Gill Well Sanitarium Com-
pany and, through careful management, has made it the
most popular resort in the state.

Dr. J. G. Mills was born in Cherokee county, Texas, in
1S77, and is a son of Green and Cornelia Britton (Gray)
Mills, both of whom are now deceased. His father w-as
born in Washington county, Georgia, a son of Elisha
Mills, who came to Texas with his familv during the late
forties. In 1880 Green Mills died, and Mrs. Mills was
subsequently married to Mr. S. E. Jones, by whom Doc-
tor Mills was reared and who is still living, at Jackson-
ville, Texas. The maternal grandfather of Doctor Mills
was a soldier during the Mexican War and was one of
those who fell at Monterey.

Dr. Mills was reared in Cherokee county, Texas, and
attended school at Jacksonville, that county, the greater
part of his education being secured at Alexander Col-
legiate Institute, from which he was sraduated with the
degree of Bachelor of Science. He went to St. Louis at
the age of nineteen years and matriculated in the Mis-
souri Medical College, from which he graduated with the
class of 1899, and then, returning to Jacksonville, began
practice there, remaining two years. Subsequently he
removed to ilarlin, Texas, where, beginning in 1901, he
successfully practiced his profession, being physician at
the Marlin Sanitarium and the Arlington Hotel, and, in
fact, since first going to Marlin has had extensive ex-
perience in medical practice in connection with thermal
and medical waters.

When sent for to look into the merits of the waters



at Gill Well, Doctor Mills secured five gallons of it,
which he shipped to Dr. Seth M. Morris, chemist and
toxicologist of the medical department of the Texas



Online LibraryFrancis White JohnsonA history of Texas and Texans (Volume 4) → online text (page 30 of 177)