Francis White Johnson.

A history of Texas and Texans (Volume 4) online

. (page 31 of 177)
Online LibraryFrancis White JohnsonA history of Texas and Texans (Volume 4) → online text (page 31 of 177)
Font size
QR-code for this ebook


State University, Galveston, who made the following
analysis: Sodium Bicarbonate, 147.93 Grs. per U. S.
gal.; Sodium Sulphate, 188.38; Magnesium Sulphate,
22.-51; Calcium Sulphate, 73.62; Sodium Chloride, 3.39;
Alumina and Iron, 3.32; Potassium Sulphate, 0.99; Sil-
ica, 0.56. Total, 440.70. Appreciating the rare and ex-
cellent combination of medicinal properties in the water,
he made application and secured a twenty-year lease,
wifh a ten-year option to purchase the well from the city
of Dallas at its actual cost of construction to the min-
eral water strata, and in 1906, complying with the terms
of this contract, purchased nearly three acres of land on
Maple avenue, 2200 feet distant from the Gill Well, where
he erected a bathhouse of brick and equipped it with
necessary apparatus to properly utilize the water. The
property is situated one and one-half miles north of the
postoflice, and now has greatly added value and attrac-
tion on account of being situated on the beautiful Turtle
Creek Boulevard, work on which was begun by the city
of Dallas in 1914. The place overlooks the picturesque
wooded vale of Turtle Creek, and, being located within
easy distance of the heart of the city, makes its future
bright with promise of great usefulness to the public
and profit to its owner. Doctor Mills has in contempla-
tion the erection of a modern sniiitnrinm on the property.
In a medicinal wnv. th.. u:it,.r i- Ijxiitiv,-, dmretic.
anti-.acid, and tonic Imt. nnlik,' ntluT- m tins L^voup, is
harmless and contains tlir iii:ixiiinini of ].io|ierties of
merit. It is of value in treatment of all forms of
rheumatism, neurasthenia, dialietes, gout, neuralgia, and
many disorders of the kidneys, liver, and digestive tract.
Doctor ilills constructed of reinforced concrete a large
swimming pool, in which he uses the mineral water ex-
elusivel.y, and practically the entire output of the well
flows through the pool, rendering it fresh, warm, and
sanitary at all times.

Doctor Mills was married to Miss Leticia Anna Smith
of Falls county, Texas, daughter of Robert Smith, who
came to Texas" from Tennessee. Her maternal grandfa-
ther was a Milliken and a member of a family which came
to Texas with Stephen F. Austin's colony in the
twenties.

D-\xiEL D. Otstott. With the coming of Daniel D.
Otstott to Dallas, in 1911, tliere was added an element of
strength and, purpose, of fine caiiaoity, and of commer-
cial integrity to the upbuilding business forces of this
thriving Southwestern metropolis. Bringing with him
experience gained through long association with men of
business staliility, acumen, and strength of character, he
at once took his rightful place among the men whose
activities are advancing the city's commercial impor-
tance, and since that time has found the time and the
inclination to interest himself in matters pertaining to
the civic welfare.

Mr. Otstott was born in the city of Cincinnati, Ohio,
in 1872. and in his youth was given the invigorating and
healthful training incident to life on the farm, Ms fa-
ther's homestead being located in the vicinity of Oxford,
Butler county, Ohio. His educational advantages were
secured, for the greater part, in the Oxford High School,
and in 1891 he entered upon his business career when he
went to Cliicago and secured a position with the whole-
sale mercantile firm of Lock, Huleatt & Company. Being
content to emliark in business life in a humble capacity,
he made himself a thorough master of the dry goods
business, and in 1898 resigned his position to enter the
house of Butler Brothers, with which he has been con-
nected ever since. This is one of the most extensive
yholesale general merchandise concerns in the world,
having great branch houses in nearly every large city of
the United States. The firm was established



TEXAS AND TEXANS



from which city the three Butler Brothers (of whom
only one now survives) renioveil to Chicago and estab-
lished their headquarters in the latter city. The wonder-
ful growth and expansion nf this business is familiar to
everyone who is at all cimveisaut with commercial affairs
in America. The hiiusc sclN tn merchants by catalogue
only, employing no tr.iirlm- -.iltsnien. In 1911 Butler
Brothers completed thru -ir.it liranch house for the
Southwest at Dallas, Texas, and at that time ilr. Otstott
came to this city as merchandise manager, their territory
embracing Texas and Oklahoma. To speak only of the
building itself— it is a splendid edifice, the largest mer-
cantile structure in the Southwest, eight stories high, and
occupying the entire block on South Ervay street extend-
ing from Youug to Marilla street and back to Evergreen
street, this being in the heart of the city.

Since coming to Dallas, Mr. Otstott has taken time
from the important and exacting duties connected with
his business to engage actively and public-spiritedly in
the general business and social affairs of the city. He
has been especially interested in the Young Men 's Chris-
tian Association, of which he is a member of the board
of directors and in which he organi2ed and managed a
campaign that resulted in a large increase in the mem-
bership of the organization. He is particularly interested
in the boys' department, of T\hieh he is a helpful ofScial.
Ilr. Otstott is a consistent member of Trinity Methodist
Church.

While a resident of Chicago, Mr. Otstott was married
to iliss Ida Bonnell, who was born at Lincoln, Nebraska,
and they have three children: Frances, John and Du-
Shane.

Colonel William C. Young. One of the finest coun-
ties in northwest Texas now bears the name of this
splendid old pioneer, who was one of the heroes of the
Texas Revolution, an Indian fighter and a participant in
the war against Mexico, and whose activities and char-
acter well deserve the honor which was bestowed in
giving his name to one of the county divisions of the
state.

Colonel William Cocke Young was born in Tennessee
May 12, 1S12, and was of Holland-Dutch and French
stock. The Young family was established in Tennessee
by two brothers. Abraham and Dan Young, the latter
being the father of Colonel William C. Young! The fam-
ily anil its connections were among the most prominent
of central Tennessee.

Colonel Young when a young man of t,wenty-two in
1834, came to Texas, locating in Bed River county and
engaging in the practice of law. He came with the
true spirit of the pioneer, intent upon a life in a new
and undeveloped country, and participated in every
phase of that development until the cloee of his life. He
was a soldier at San Antonio, and in the border and
Indian warfare which followed the Revolution took a
prominent part and was associated with John B. Den-
ton's expedition. When Colonel Denton was flain by the
Indians in 1841, it was William C. Young and a 'com-
panion who voUuiteerd to go to the scene of the massa-
cre and recover the body of their leader. Through a
country infested by Indians, and daring all the risks
and dangers of such a journey, they performed their
duty with the determination that was characteristic of
the best frontiersmen, and finally returned to headquar-
ters with the body of their murdered leader, having
escaped all the dangers attendant upon such an enter-
prise.

At the outbreak of the Mexican war Colonel Young
niiseil a resjiment of volunteers, in which he was com-
missioned colonel, and saw much active campaigning
during that brief period of hostilities. Following the
Mexican war Col. Young resumed his law practice and
in 1851 moved to Shawneetown in Grayson county, and
continued to be prominent in imblic affairs. He had
served as sheriff two terms and later as county attorney



in Red River county, and in 1857 was appointed United
States marshal of his district, holding the office for three
years until he resigned to take part in the war between
the north and the south. He had also been a member
of the first constitutional convention of the state.

A short time prior to the outbreak of hostilities be-
tween the states Colonel Young was called into con-
sultation with Jeft'erson Davis, and on returning from
his last visit with the president of the Confederacy
raised the Eleventh Regiment of Texas Cavalry and
went into active service. He led his regiment until fail-
ing health compelled him to resign and return home. As
a representative of the Southern government he con-
tinued to perform important service in North Texas,
and it was during the performance of his duty that he
met his death, being assassinated by bushwhackers in
Cooke county during the unsettled conditions in that
region towards the end of the war. One of his fellow
citizens had been shot down and the murder was traced
to the work of a band of outlaws, and while Colonel
Young was in search of the body of the victim he him-
self was killed while near his own home. One of Colonel
Young 's sons succeeded in tracing the murderer to his
regiment in the Confederate army, demanded and re-
ceived his surrender, took him to the spot where his
father had been so foully killed, and there some of the
colonel 's own negroes strung up and summarily exacted
the jienalty of death from the assassin. Colonel Young
was one of the most influential men of his time in Texas,
and it was to perpetuate the memory of his distinct
services that Young county was named in his honor.

Colonel Young was three times married. His first,
marriage was to Sophie Thomas Cleaves, and of the chil
dren of that marriage one, Captain John G., is now
prominent retired resident of Sherman. By a second'
marriage Colonel Young had two other children
third wife was Mrs. Annie Black, who bore him two
children: Simpson Morgan and Margaret, who married
J. B. Davenport.

Russell H. Kingsbury. A successful Imsineps law-
yer, Russell H. Kingsbury has been engaged in the prac-
tice of law at Waco since 1880. The years that have fol-
lowed have brought him ample practice and high repu-
tation, and he has long been regarded as one of the lead-
ers at the bar of McLennan county.

Judge Kingsbury is a native of North Carolina, born
in the town of Oxford. January 29, 1860, a son of Rus-
sell H. and Elizabeth L. (Gilliam) Kingsbury. His
father, who was born in Albany, New York, in 1822,
when a young man moved to North Carolina, met and
married Eli; abeth L. Gilliam, who was born at Gaines-
ville in that state in 1829. and in 1S72 they settled at
Waco. Texas, where the father was engaged in mer-
chandising until his death in 1898. The mother died in
1908. There were five children, namely: Henry P..
of the Eighth Cavalry. I'. S. A., now inspector general of
the Department of Lakes: William G., a retired farmer,
ranchman and capitalist at Temple, Texas: Katherine
S., who is the wife of J. H. Brown, of Dallas; Russell
H.; and Frederick H., also a lawyer of Waco.

The career of Russell H. Kingsbury has been a sin -
gularly active and interesting one from earliest boyhood.
His literary education was begun and completed at
Horner & Webb's Academy at Oxford. North Carolina.
He entered that institution when but five years of age,
and completed his training there at the age of eleven.
Professor Webb was for a time a Ignited States senator
from Tennessee. Mr. Kingsbury was between eleven and
tw-elve years of age when the family settled in Texas.
He became interested in .-journalism, and when fourteen
years of age was editor of a little publication at Waco.
His venturesome spirit led him a year later to become
a Texas ranger, in the command of Colonel John B.
Jones, and his service with the Texas state troops lasted
one year. He then took up the study of law under the



'



TEXAS AND TEXANS



1689



preceptorship of Judge Clark, was admitted to the bar
when twenty years of age, and at once opened his office
at Waco and began the practice which has engaged him
with increasing success ever since.

A Democrat of the old school, Judge Kingsbury be-
lieves in a " good old-fashioned democracy and go'od
government for Texas. ' ' During the Clark-Hogg cam-
paign he was an ardent Clark man and campaigned the
state from end to end in Judge Oark 's behalf. For two
years he held the office of city judge of Waco. He takes
no active part in politics, believing that the primary sys-
tem of selecting candidates is a failure, and longs for
the time to come again when the people will have an
opportunity of a voice in determining who their official
representatives shall be. He is just an old-fashioned
Democrat without any prefix, or affix, believing that the
people are best governed when least governed. Mr.
Kingsbury is a member of the Episcopal church, and
belongs to the Young Men 's Business League of Waco.

Ernest W. Townes. Few of the yonnger members
of the legal profession in Texas has begun their careers
with better inheritance of professional tradition and
abilit.v, than Ernest W. Townes of the firm of Carlton,
Townes & Townes, whose offices are in the Stewart Build-
ing at Houston. Mr. Townes has been a member of the
Texas bar for more than ten years, and has acquired
a position of distinction through his successful practice
during this time.

Ernest W. Townes is a grandson of Judge Dick
Townes, who was chancellor of the northern district of
Alabama, and who in 1S5-1 brought his family to Texas
and settled upon a large plantation in Bastrop county.
He later moved to Travis county, where in addition
to his farming operations he conducted a law busi-
ness. He was honored with election to the legislature
and was also a member of a constitutional convention
and took a very prominent part in organic law of the
state.

Mr. Townes was born in Travis county in 1875 and
is a son of John Charles and Kate (Wildbahnj Townes.
His father born in Alabama, was an infant when the
famOy came to Texas, and later for some years was
judge of the forty-sixth judicial district comprising
the counties of Travis and Williamson. He is now
one of the most honored members of the Texas bar and
is dean of the law department ' of the University of
Texas.

Ernest W. Townes was graduated from the Univer-
sity of Texas in 1898 with the degree of A. B. and then
continued his preparation for the law in the same
institution and was graduated in 1900, LL. B. Admitted
to the bar in the same year, he began the practice of his
profession at Austin, where he remained for three years,
and then moved to Houston, where he has since had his
office, with the exception of a short interim while asso-
ciated with Mr. L. A. Carlton in Beaumont, and enjoys
a generous share of the legal business in this city. In
1911 he became a partner in the firm of Carlton. Townes
& Townes, when that combination opened its Houston
office. Mr. Townes is a member of various Masonic
bodies and also belongs to the Beta Theta Pi fraternity
of the University of Texas, and to various clubs and
other organizations. In 1906 he married Miss Adele
Verleye of Chicago. Their home is at 3017 Brazos
street.

J. Eoss Bell. The office of county attorney of Cottle
county has been filled since Jul.v, 1912, by one of the
ablest young lawyers of the Cottle county bar. His
services in the office have won the approbation of the
public, and both as an official and as a lawyer he has
proved his efficiency and popularity.

J. Eoss Bell was born in Flatwoods, Tennessee, Feb-
runry 22, 1884, a son of Joseph and Delphia (McLemore)
Bell, both parents natives of Tennessee. The father.

Vol. IV— 7



who was a farmer and planter, was a resident of Ten-
nessee throughout his life and died in July, 1901, at the
age of forty-four. The mother now lives with her chil-
dren in Paducah, Texas, at the age of fifty-two. The
county attorney was the oldest of four children. His
brother, Joe D. Bell, is a graduate of Cumberland Uni-
versity, in Tennessee, in 1912, and is now a practicing
lawyer. The sister, Mary V. Bell, was born in Tennes-
see. One child. Brownie M. Bell, is deceased.

J. Eoss Bell spent his early life in Tennessee, attended
schools in Spring Hill and "Scott 's Hill, and took both
his literary and law courses in the Cumberland Univer-
sity, at Lebanon, where he was graduated in law in 1910.
In the same year he came out to Paducah, locating in
that town in July, and since that time has enjoyed a lib-
eral share of local practice. He was elected county at-
torney in July, 1912, on the Democratic ticket. Mr. Bell
is a Eoyal Arch and Knight Templar Mason and is senior
warden of his Lodge. He is also affiliated with the
Knights of Pythias, Independent Order of Odd Fellows,
and the Woodmen of the World, and his church is the
Methodist. He is unmarried, and all the family live in
an attractive home in Paducah. Both brothers are very
fond of outdoor life and are among the most progressive
young citizens of Cottle county.

Charles F. Hoff, a prominent Texan, a resident of
Eockport, Aransas county, dates his birth at Yorktown,
DeWitt county, Texas, September 22, 1861. He was
reared on his father's farm in that county and at the
age of twenty-one left the parental home" to seek his
fortune in the West, Tucson, Arizona, being his ob-
jective point. At Tucson he lived almost continuously
up to 1909, excepting one year spent in Los Angeles and
San Francisco, California. Since November, 1909, he
has been a resident of Eockport.

In Arizona Mr. Hoff was in the mercantile business and
always an energetic worker in the Tucson Board of Trade.
In 1S90 he installed the telephone system, which is
still operating under the same franchise. In 1897 he
installed the present street railway system in Tucson,
which is now one of the finest electric systems in the
West. Being the controlling owner he disposed of his
interest in this system in exchange for his present hold-
ings in Texas, chiefly in Aransas county.

All his life Mr. Hoff has taken an active interest in
public affairs, paying a great deal of attention to politi-
cal affairs of the Territory. He took a leading part
in organi?ing the Democratic party in Arizona, as" presi-
dent of the Arizona Association of Democratic Clubs,
and has acted as chairman of the Democratic state,
county and cit.y committee, also secretary of the state,
county and city committees. He was national vice presi-
dent of the National Association of Democratic Clubs
for four years. He was secretary of the Statehood con-
vention and also secretary of the Statehood committee
and he, with Ex-Governor Murphy, was appointed dele-
gate to Washington in the interest of Statehood. In
1891 he was made chief clerk of the House of Eepre-
sentatives and in 1893, the Arizona Senate being a tie,
he was selected as a compromise candidate for secretary
of the Senate. In 1892 Mr. Hoff was unanimously nomi-
nated for mayor on a progressive platform, but was
counted out by the Eepublicans' election board. In
1S9.T he installed a telephone system at Nogales and
while there took part with thirty Americans in driving
the Yaquis out of the Mexican custom house, of which
they had taken possession, killing seven guards in order
to do so. The Yaquis, who were in the custom house,
were armed with Springfield rifles, but after an hour's
fighting the Americans drove them out of the city with-
out any casualties, while the Yaquis left seventeen dead.

In 1896 Mr. Hoff was elected County Treasurer. He
served two years and declined a renomination. In 1899
he came back to his old home and married Miss Helen



1690



TEXAS AND TEXANS



Eckhardt. They lived in Tucson until they moved to
Eoekport. Mrs. Hoff has been a leading spirit in all
civil iTork and is a most enthusiastic worker in the
Mothers' Club of Eoekport. Four children have been
born to them, as follows : Carol, Charles F., Jr., Eosalie
and W. H. Barnes Hoff.

From 1906 to 1907 Mr. Hoff served as City Council-
man in Tucson and in 1908 the county convention of
his county, composed of 120 delegates, unanimously in-
dorsed him for National committeeman, but at the State
convention he was defeated by the corporation tools, who
controlled the convention. He went to the Denver con-
vention and there worked with Charles Bryan, Mr. Allen,
James C. Dahlman and others for the Bryan cause, and
after the convention suggested the plan of financing
the Democratic campaign, which was adopted by the
National committee, and the first time in its history
the National committee had a surplus after the cam-
paign. Mr. Hoff was also a delegate to the last Grover
Cleveland convention, and in 1912 he was elected a
delegate and served in that capacity in the Democratic
convention at Baltimore. Also in 1912 he was elected
president of the Eoekport School Board. In 1910 he
was made a member of the executive committee of the
Commercial Club and delivered an address before the
United States board of engineers upon the definite loca-
tion of the harbor. In 1911 he was made chairman of
the Prohibition Association for Aransas county. He
was made president of the Commercial Club in 1911, is
still the incumbent of that oflBce and has proved him-
self the right man for the place. Eoekport feels a just
pride in its leading citizen, Charles F. Hoff.

William D. Sanders. Among the citizens of Titus
county none have displayed greater enterprise and
energy in the development of the best resources of the
home county than William D. Sanders. Mr. Sanders
has long been known in the public life of this section
and has in recent years turned his attention to the de-
velopment of the oil and gas deposits of the county.
He was known among his associates as a man of re-
markable push and energy and whatever he undertakes
he usually carries through to a successful conclusion. He
represents one of the prominent old families of Titus
county and the name of Sanders has for many years
been identified with business enterprise and sterling
character in this vicinity.

William D. Sanders was born in Titus county in 1874.
His parents were Thomas J. and Lou J. (McClure)
Sanders. The father, who was born in the state of
Alabama, with several of his brothers emigrated to
Texas during the early fifties and he located a ranch
on Sulphur Prairie in "the north part of Titus county.
Among the old-time cattle men of Texas, Thomas J.
Sanders was one of the best known. He was one of
the developers of the industry before the Civil war and
in those days went up to the Pease Eiver country in
northwest Texas, taking a large bunch of cattle with
him to the o]ien range, and being one of the first to
take domestic cattle into the country which for centuries
had been the home of the buffalo and the wild Indian.
Among his early day associates was Dan Waggoner, one
of the best known of Texas cattle men. His efforts
before the war resulted in fine success and he accumu-
lated a large number of cattle, being recognized among
the most prosperous men in the cattle business of that
period. When the war came on he enlisted in the Con-
federate service and went through the entire conflict as
a soldier of the south. With the close of hostilities he
returned to Titus county and then going into Northwest
Texas tried to collect the herds which had been scattered
during the previous years, in which he was largely un-
successful. The Indians, who had before the war been
as a rule peaceful, began almost constant raiding and
hostilities after the rebellion and the Indian 'depreda-



I



tions, together with other misfortunes, operated to his
disadvantage in such a manner that he was never able
to regain his old time prosperity in the cattle business.
A portion of his later life he spent in Oklahoma, but
died in Titus county. His wife, who also represented a
pioneer family in Titus county, was born in Georgia and
died at Mount Pleasant at the age of twenty-nine.

The early life of William D. Sanders was spent on a
farm, where he received all the training which was neces-
sary for his active career. For six years he filled the
office of constable, then resigned and became claim agent
for the Texarkana & Fort Smith Eailroad at Texarkana.
From this position he took an appointment as special
agent for the Cotton Belt Eailway and while employed
in that capacity in 1906 was elected sheriff of Titus
county. By re-election in 1908 he served the county
efficiently for four years. Since retiring from that
office he has served as city alderman and is now city
marshal by appointment.

Since 1910 Mr. Sanders has been largely identified
with the real estate and allied interests. The develop-
ment of the oil and gas possibilities in Titus county



Online LibraryFrancis White JohnsonA history of Texas and Texans (Volume 4) → online text (page 31 of 177)