Francis White Johnson.

A history of Texas and Texans (Volume 4) online

. (page 37 of 177)
Online LibraryFrancis White JohnsonA history of Texas and Texans (Volume 4) → online text (page 37 of 177)
Font size
QR-code for this ebook


A pack of snarling "lobos" prowl;
They scent the broiling bacon fumes,

Gaunt, gnawing hunger does the rest.
And they may even charge the camp

Before they cease their snifSng quest.

The plainsman leaves the wagon seat,

The horses snort, then turn and run.
The ' ' Greaser ' ' puts aside his pots,

And with a grin picks up his gun.
' ' Los lobos malos, ' ' he exclaims,

And shows his gleaming teeth the while —
Ye gods; this satyr of the plains

Could freeze a sunbeam with his smile!

The horses wheel and gallop back,

Then stop and snort and wheel again,
Describe a circle, pause and neigh,

Then fly in fright across the plain ;
And in their wake the "lobos" trail,

Forgetful of the bacon scent,
And they will follow, true and swift,

Until the horses ' strength is spent.

But no, they wheel and here they come.
They make a "bee line" for the camp.

And even now, mid howl and yelp.
We hear the thunder of their tramp.



On, on they come — and see the wolves;

Ah, but that pace is one to kill,
And can they hold it, will they last?

Yes, God be praised, they will, they will!

Ah, hear that spitting ' ' Marlin ' ' speak,

And see that ' ' lobo ' 'gnaw the ground,
Again, again, that keen report.

And it is dealing death around!
While gleaming teeth are flashing white

From satyr lips devoid of mirth.
And eyes are scintillating light

That only hate can give its birth.

"Los lobos son diablos, si!"

The ' ' Greaser ' ' cries with fiery breath,
"Muerto — what you G-r-r-ingoes say?

Ah si, yo know, you call heem death!
He keel muchacho mio, si!

Ah, now yo pay heem — si, yo weel !
It is hees sangre yo would dreenk,

Ah, eet ees heaven heem to keel ! ' '

And panting, pounding, here they come.

The yelping "lobos" give them wings;
Those milk white teeth are flashing yet.

And listen how that "Marlin" sings!
Five wolves are down, yet four come on,

The ' ' Marlin 's ' ' magazine is spent.
And still the horses are not saffe —

Those "lobos" are on blood intent.

The range is long for pistols yet,

But see, they slip from holsters now.
Drop out in front of stretching arms

And send abroad a growling "pow!"
Another wolf has gone to earth,

And see, another limps away —
The sun has set, the dusk is here,

The horses, too, have won the day.

They stand beside the wagon now.

Their heaving sides a mass of foam.
The fear they felt they feel no more.

The wolves are gone — and this is home!
The camp is quiet once again.

The ' ' Greaser ' ' raps a tinkling plate,
The plainsman stretches, yawns and says:

' ' Well, supper is a little late. ' '

The moon is rising in the east,

The dust is laid, the winds are still,
And softly through the golden night,

The flutings of the whip-poor-will
Come floating sweet across the plain.

As earnest from a peaceful land.
That He who set the stars in place

Holds even deserts in His hand.

— Jake H. Harrison.

MEXICO *

An ancient land that teems with yellow gold.

Whose fanes were weather-worn when Greece was
young.
In mystic script its history was told,

Before blind Homer's Iliad was sung.
Yea, long before the pyramids were built,

Or silent Sphynx began her stolid gaze.
This soil of mystery was richly gilt,

With stars that glint through dark tradition's haze.

* Written especially for the History of Texas and
Texans, 1914.



TEXAS AND TEXANS



1707



Its ancient ruins show the sculptor's art,

Its shadow dials tell its early lore,
Its mystic cypher holds within its heart,

A secret that no modern can explore.
Its temples show religion's august sway.

Before the walls ot Karnak were begun.
And there is patent evidence, today.

That they were dedicated to the sun.

Grim, human sacrifice they all declare.

With reeking blood their ceremonies teem,
And ritual that lends a tragic air.

Which haunts you like a horrifying dream.
About it all the pall of age is spread.

Conjecture sits immobile on her throne,
You feel the presence of a mystic dread,

And all the terrors of a fear unknown.

Within the forest solitudes they lie.

These ruins of an ancient virile race.
Ten thousand years of humus slumbers by.

To prove the desolation of the place.
And over all the forest sentries stand.

Deep rooted in the debris that abounds.
Yet even in their death, we find them grand,

The temples that bestrew these ancient grounds.

Adown the ages then we follow on.

Until the Montezuraas come to reign.
And in the crumbling niins find, anon.

The evidence of internecine pain;
The history of civil war and strife,

Deep graven by the giant hand of Time,
Grim, bloody fiends who sap a Nation 's life.

And leave it writhing in a sea of crime.

There despotism shows its iron hand,

The common herd were driven with a goad,
That only those can fully understand.

Who feel and bear its agonizing load.
For liberty and right were put aside.

To serve the purpose of the ruling few,
And slavery, the worst that can betide.

For centuries, the common people knew.

Then came the Spanish dons, with cruel might,

Cortez the brute, by papal mandate blest.
A Christian (f) scourge who never knew a right.

And made of gold and land his primal quest.
With fiendish hand he robbed and burnt and slew,

His tyrant heart regarded self alone.
While Plunder was the only law he knew.

And music was, to him, a captive's groan.

The scum of Spain found ready refuge there.

Till ' ' Savage Mexico ' ' could hold no more.
At least until the jailers made it clear.

That they had given up their vicious store.
It came, this scum, instructed by its king

To kill the native men, and take their wives,
And priests were sent to make the chancel ring.

With masses meant to cleanse these culprit lives.

The native blood thus tainted with the crime.

And all the rotten vice that prisons knew.
Brought forth a spawn of savage human grime.

It made the soul of Heaven sick to view.
Yet motion purifies the putrid stream.

And time wUl cleanse the taint in human blood,
Therefore, in course of years, there came a gleam.

To even these, of peaceful brotherhood.

The patriot Hidalgo led the van.

That routed Spanish vice and tyranny.

While Juarez perfected Hidalgo's plan.
And won, at last, a taste of liberty.



The galling yoke was lifted from the neck,
That centuries had borne its cruel weight —

How, hardly, can a ruling Nation reck,
The venom of a conquered people's hate!

The Spaniard was a tyrant, not a fool.

Whose pjrime consideration was to win.
He never let his selfish ardor cool,

And never counted robbery a sin.
The native was a savage Nature child,

Eevengeful, superstitious, fierce and brave,
A creature, while not altogether wild.

That Heaven never meant to be a slave.

Amalgamation then was simply crime.

Upon the page of history a blot,
A mixture that produces human grime.

With cruelty and hellish passion hot.
Therefore, a thousand years, at least, must pass.

Before the cleansing hand of Time is shown,
And blood must spiU a thousand times, alas,

Before the sweets of liberty are known.

For education has not paved the way.

To democratic government, as yet.
Dictatorship still holds its rigid sway.

Though Lilierty must view it with regret;
And Bevolutiou, time and time again,

Must light the scene with War's consuming brand.
And wrench the Nation 's heart with martial pain.

While hungry Rapine devastates the land.

But when the tainted blood is purified.

And all the sin of Spanish crime is spent.
When savage heat by time is modified,

Caucasian grace and native vigor blent;
And all the force that mental strength can bring,

Together with the culture it will gain,
Then Mexico her banners wide will fling.

And prove a queen of Nations on the Main.

Her mines will pour their precious metals forth,

The marts of trade will glorify her name,
Financial centers testify her worth.

And all the world will sing her glowing fame.
Her riches are intrinsic, and secure,

Her minerals and fertile valleys rare,
A wealth that through the ages must endure,

And only needs the patient hand of Care.

With proper tillage, she could feed the earth.

Her precious gems Golconda could not buy.
Of ruby wines she need not suffer dearth.

And man knows not a softer, bluer sky.
Her forests teem with all the richer woods,

Her splendid rivers find the placid sea.
And they would serve as highways for her goods.

If only all her energies were free.

But prostrate, bound, she lies before us now,

While civil war is sucking at her blood.
The mark of Cain shows plain upon her brow.

Self-murder saps the strength of brotherhood.
An internecine death her vitals grips,

And Mexico must tremble in the toils,
Till Justice with her stern, impartial lips.

Shames Fate until she drops ill-gotten spoils.

— Jake H. Harrison.

Olnett Davis. As a thriving and growing city of the
Southwest and an important commercial center of Collin
county. Piano has taken a leading part in the business
history of Northern Texas and has attracted to it some
of the active minds, not only in the various professions,
but those capable of controlling financial and business
interests. This feature alone is one that has contributed



17(



TEXAS AND TEXANS



to this municipality 's prosperity — the fact that its inter-
ests demand action and ability — for where men possess-
ing these attributes congregate, success is sure to follow
and a further enlargement of business fields and oper-
ating opportunities. No man ever rose above his fellows
unless he possessed something more than they — advan-
tages of money, mind, or native ability, and more fre-
quently than not the first plays but a small part, com-
pared with the latter. An illustration of this truth may
be found in the career of Olney Davis, president of the
Farmers and Merchants National Bank of Piano, a man
who has risen because he has made the most of his op
portunities and who is today the directing head of one
of the institutions which is contributing materially to
Piano 's importance and prosperity.

Mr. Davis is a native son of Texas, having been born
in Ellis county, February 17, 1857. His parents, E. A.
and il. P. (Sweat) Davis, were natives of Tennessee,
who came to Texas in 1852 and located first in Collin
county, subsequently moving to a property in Ellis
county. There R. A. Davis carried on his operations
with slave labor until the outbreak of the Civil War, dur-
ing which he enlisted in the Confederate army and served
the last two years of the war, lieing still in the Gray
when General Lee's surrender at Appomattox marked
the fall of the ' ' Lost Cause. ' ' He then returned to the
peaceful pursuits of civil life, and continued to carry on
his operations in Ellis county until his retirement from
active pursuits, several years prior to his death, which
occurred at Waxahachie, Texas, in April, 1903. He was
a more or less prominent man of his community, serving
as county surveyor for several years, and was prosperous
in his business operations because of his industry and
good management, combined with strict integrity. Mrs.
Davis died in 1898, having been the mother of six chil-
dren, of whom four are now living, Olney being the next
to the youngest.

The early education of Olney Davis was secured in the
public schools of Ellis county, and during this preliminary
training he spent much of his time in assisting his father
in the work of the homestead place. Later he was a stu-
dent in the industrial school of the University of Illi-
nois, at Champaign, Illinois, and upon his return home he
had his first business experience as a farmer ar.d slock
raiser in Collin county. His ventures in this field proved
eminently satisfactory and prosperous, but in 1887 he
turned his attention to the field of finance, when he as-
sisted in organizing the Piano National Bank, of which
he was made vice president. About 1895 he disposed of
his interests in that institution, and in 1900 he directed
tlie organization of the Farmers and Merchants National
Bank of Piano, of which he became the first president, a
position which he has continued to hold to the present
time. Mr. Davis possesses excellent organizing and ex-
ecutive ability. Public confidence is with him; he has
popularized the coflfers of the institution by his wise
and conservative direction of its policies, and each year
has seen the bank grow in scope and power. He has met
each emergency capably, and his associates have learned
to depend upon his judgment and foresight. Mr. Davis
has always been a Democrat and has at all times given
the candidates and policies of his party the benefit of his
influence. In 1891 he was chosen by" his fellow citizens
as chief executive of the city, and occupied the mayoralty
chair until 189G, and during the five years of his sane
and businesslike administration the city grew and de-
veloped in size and prosperity. At the present time he
is serving his second term as alderman, and is also acting
in the capacity of city treasurer. Fraternally, Mr. Davis
is connected with the local lodges of the "independent
Order of Odd Fellows and the Benevolent and Protective
Order of Elks. While his private interests are many,
demanding the greater part of his time and attention,
Mr. Davis has ever been ready to give of himself in the
forwarding of movements looking toward the advance-
ment of education and good citizenship.



On April I'O, 1881, Mr. Davis was united in marriage
with Miss Eifie Mathews of CoUin county, a daughter of
B. F. Mathews, who was one of the early settlers of Col-
lin county, a prominent farmer, and died in 1878. Nine
children have been born to Mr. and Mrs. Davis, six of
whom are now living, as follows: R. A., who is cashier
of the Farmers and Merchants National Bank of Piano
and one of the energetic and progressive young business
men of the city; Mrs. Edna M. Houston, wife of H. H.
Houston of Teague, Texas, vice president of the First
State Bank of that place and a grandson of Gen. Sam
Houston; Miss Maud, a graduate in music of St. Mary's
School, Dallas; Miss Vera, also a graduate, in a special
course, at St. Mary's school; Miss Pauline, a member of
the class of 1914 in the Piano Hig:h school and was the
honor student of 26, which constituted the class, and
Miss Helen, who is attending the graded schools of this
city.

John L. Lovejot. From humble clerkships have risen
some of the leading men in the financial and business
world of Texas. In fact, the majority of the financiers
who have left their impress upon this section liave had
their training in the counting-room or behind the counter,
and in this class stands John L. Lovejoy, president of the
First National Bank of McKinney. He has been a resi-
dent of Collin county for sixty-four years, and has been
an eye witness to the wonderful development which has
brought this section from a wide, open range to a center
of industrial and commercial activity and through his
own operations has contributed in no small way to this
growth and progress. Mr. Lovejoy was born August 22,
1848, at Paris, Lamar county, Texas, and is a son of
George W. and Polly (Highfield) Lovejoy.

The Lovejoy family is of Scotch-Irish extraction and
was founded in Texas by the grandfather of Mr. Love-
joy, the Rev. John L. Lovejoy, who was a prominent
Methodist divine of this state and chaplain of the state
legislature during the administration of Governor Throck-
morton. An uncle, James H. Lovejoy, living now at
Houston, was a resident of Collin county for a number of
years and was the first deputy sheriff under the first
sheriff of the county, subsequently becoming himself the
second sheriff. At present he is living a retired Ufe.
George W. Lovejoy was born in Georgia, and was a
youth when he accompanied his parents to Texas, in 1836,
the family settling at Pin Hook. In 1849, after his mar-
riage, he moved to Collin county and purchased land, on
which he continued to be engaged in successful farming
and stock raising, the old homestead being located two
miles west of McKinney. There he passed away in 1859.
By her first marriage she had four children, and by her
second union two children. Mrs. Lovejoy, who survives
the father, is living at Gatesville, Coryell county, and, in
spite of her ninety-three years, is still alert in body and
active in mind and is capable of doing her own house-
work

John L. Lovejoy received but meager educational ad-
vantages in his youth, his training being limited to aboiit
three months of each winter in the primitive log-cabin
district school. He was ambitious and industrious, how-
ever, and his receptive mind and retentive memory per-
mitted him to become better schooled than many of his
fellows. Since that time, wide reading, much travel, and
keen ol'Servation of men and affairs have given liim
broad fund of knowledge on a number of subjects, and
one cannot be with him long without realizing that he
a very well-educated man. Mr. Lovejoy 's first businesi
experience was as a clerk in a drug store at McKinney
following which he accepted a position as a traveling
salesman for Meyer Brothers, wholesale druggists of St
Louis. His career as a banker began when he opened i
national bank at Greenville, Hunt county, of which
continued as president until September. 1907, since whi(
time he has acted in the capacity of vice president. Dur
ing this time he had been a stockholder and director



TEXAS AND TEXANS



1709



the First National Bank of McKinney, at McKinney, and
in September, 1907, was chosen president of that institu-
tion, recognized as one of the strongest in this part of
the state. His able direction of its policies has popu-
larized its coffers, and its standing in banking circles
and in the confidence of the public is equally high. Mr.
Lovejoy is the owner of his father's old home and farm
west of McKinney, where there are 12-11 acres of land,
rented to nine families. A Democrat of the Jeffersonian
persuasion, Mr. Lovejoy has always been an active and
ardent supporter of his party 's policies and candidates.
In Masonry he has achieved a high place, having attained
to the Scottish Eite degree, and he is at this time treas-
urer of the Commandery at McKinney. He holds mem-
bership also in the Benevolent and Protective Order of
Elks, and is a charter member of the local lodge of the
Knights of Pythias. A lifelong member of the Southern
Presbyterian church, he has acted in the capacity of dea-
con thereof for a number of years.

In 1882 Mr. Lovejoy was married at McKinney to Miss'
Carrie Emerson, a daughter of Francis Emerson, who
came to America as a boy from Ireland and located in
Texas about 1855 as an early settler. In 1869 he organ-
ized the present First National Bank of McKinney, and
continued as its president up to the time of his death, in
1901. Mr. and Mrs. Lovejoy are the parents of one
daughter, Margie, who is the wife of Dr. C. G. Comegys,
a practicing physician of Gainesville, Texas.

Mr. Lovejoy is very fond of travel, and generally
spends his vacations in visiting prominent Masonic and
Shrine gatherings in all parts of the United States and
in taking occasional trips with his family to Europe, hav-
ing spent six months there during the Paris Exposition.
However, he finds his greatest pleasure at his home, and
is now the owner of a beautiful residence at No. 401
North Kentucky street, McKinney.

WiLFORD E. EucKER, M. D. Since 1900 Dr. Eucker has
been one of the leading members of the medical profes-
sion in Collin county. Dr. Eucker graduated in medicine
more than twenty years ago, has kept himself m close
touch with the advance in knowledge by private reading
and by post-graduate work, and has well deserved his
success.

Born at Cleveland, Tennessee, May 10, 1863, "Wilford
E. Eucker is of Scotch-Irish ancestry and a sou of Wil-
liam B. and Mahala (Underwood) Eucker. Both his fa-
ther and mother were natives of Tennessee. His father
during his active career was a farmer and merchant ;
volunteered for service in the Union army from east
Tennessee, and participated in some of the iioportant
battles and campaigns in that part of the country.
Among the engagements in his experience as a soldier
were the battles of Chickamauga, Missionary Eidge, and
many others, and in one fight he was wounded. He is
now living, at the good old age of seventy-four, at his
home, in Cleveland, and for several years has been com-
mander of the Grand Army post at that place. His
wife, the mother of Dr. Eucker, died about 1869. They
were the parents of four children, two sons and two
daughters, Dr. Eucker being the oldest. Dr. Backer's
brother, W. H. Eucker, is postmaster at Nevada, in Col-
lin county, and his sister is the wife of B. C. McDowell,
deceased, and lives in Oak Cliff, at Dallas. He also has
a half-brother, J. B. Eucker, in the real estate business
at Dallas, and a half-sister, Eula Eucker, a teacher in
the public schools of Dallas.

Dr. Eucker acquired his early education in the public
schools of Tennessee, from the Flint Springs Academy.
and in 1892 was graduated in medicine from the medical
department of the Vanderbilt University, at Nashville.
His practice was begun at Altoga, in Collin county, and
from 1896 to 1900 he practiced in Dallas county. Since
1900 his home and the center of his professional activi-
ties have been at McKinney. For several years he was
associated with Dr. T. W. Wiley in the management of



the local sanitarium. Since his graduation from the
Vanderbilt University, Dr. Eucker has taken three post-
graduate courses in the New Orleans Polyclinic.

In political views, he is liberal, and usually votes for
the man rather than the party. His fraternal affiliations
are with the Masonic Order, the Independent Order of
Odd Fellows, and the Benevolent and Protective Order
of Elks. In 1892, at Altoga, was celebrated his marriage
with Mrs. Sims (nee Miss Fanny J. McMurray). Her
father, Professor McMurray, was for a number of years
an active educator in' the state of Georgia, and taught
for several years after moving to Texas. Her mother
was a member of the prominent Holt family of Georgia.
Dr. Eucker and wife have one son, now nineteen years
old, who was educated in the Bingham MUitary School, in
North Carolina, and is now employed in the hardware
business in McKinney. Dr. Eucker has his office at 105
W. Virginia street, and his home is at the corner of Col-
lege and LaMar streets.

James Henry Hamner. Among the well known news-
paper men in western Texas there is perhaps none bet-
ter qualified and with a more diversified experience than
James Henry Hamner, editor and proprietor of the
Claude Neivs. He was born in Shelbv county, Tennessee
February 28, 1839, a son of Hezekiah Ford and Cale-
donia Musadora (Scales) Hamner. The father, a native
of Virginia, in 1835 moved to Tennessee, where he was
one of the early settlers in Shelby county and where he
maintained his residence until his death, in 1845, at the
age of forty-two. By occupation he was a planter; by
inclination a student and a man of great literary attain-
ments. The mother was born in North Carolina, from
which state her parents moved into Tennessee in 1834.
The paternal grandparents were of Scotch and Welch
stock, coming to Virginia at an early day, many members
being prominent in the early history of that state. On
the maternal side the ancestry is Scotch and the family
was of ancient and noble lineage. The mother died in
Mississippi in 1865, at the age of fifty-four, leaving
four children, of whom the Texas editor was the second.

Mr. Hamner was reared in Tennessee, where he at-
tended the local schools. He took up the trade of
printer as his first regular occupation, and for many
years he was connected with the newspaper and printing
business in Memphis. During his whole life Mr. Ham-
ner was an ardent Southerner. 'When the war broke out
his young heart beat responsive to the call of the drum
and he gladly enlisted with General Bedford Forrest
when the latter organized his battalion. From then on
to the end of the war, from battlefield to battlefield,
on long, hard marches and hot campaigns, he followed
his leader, serving as high private with faithfulness and
marked courage. At the battle of Fort Donelson he
was wounded in the left leg, the smaller bone being
shattered by the bullet, which killi'd the horse that had
carried him into action. Then followed a harder fight
with death in a hnspitnl in T'larksville, Tennessee, a
thrilling escape, a .iaiii;iT t'r;in-ht ride on horseback to
Corinth, Mississippi, ^^ll^n :i imlnno-h enabled him to go



Online LibraryFrancis White JohnsonA history of Texas and Texans (Volume 4) → online text (page 37 of 177)