Francis White Johnson.

A history of Texas and Texans (Volume 4) online

. (page 38 of 177)
Online LibraryFrancis White JohnsonA history of Texas and Texans (Volume 4) → online text (page 38 of 177)
Font size
QR-code for this ebook


home to his mother in W rst I'tdnt, Mississippi, where
his stay was prolonged until he could abandon his
crutches. After his return to the army his battalion
was merged into the Tenth Tennessee" Eeginient and
figured at Eesaca, at Missionary Eidge and Chicka-
mauga, at Franklin, at Nashville, interspersed by many
lesser engagements. His surrender was made at Gaines-
ville, Alabama, May 10, 1865.

Mr. Hamner took up life again with nothing but
hand and head and heart as assets, handicapped by a
wound that proved a life-long menace and annovance.
In 1892 Mr. Hamner and family moved to Claude, Texas,
where he established the Claude News. For three and a
half years he edited this weekly, only abandoning it
when he moved to McLennan county. Here he again en-
tered the newspaper field. At the end of six years he



1710



TEXAS AND TEXANS



sold his establishment and returned to Claude, seeking
health for his invalid wife. He resumed the original
paper, the News, on July 8, 1902, since which time his
name has appeared in the editorial column as editor and
proprietor. He has kept the News up to the highest
standard of journalism, guarding its columns jealously
from the unclean and vicious, and has one of the best
papers in the Panhandle country.

Mr. Hamner is a Eoyal Arch Mason and he served as
treasurer and secretary of his chapter for several years.
He has been active in citizenship and served as treasurer
of Armstrong county during 1903-04-0o-06, his election
having come on the Democratic ticket. He was affiliated
with the Christian Church.

In Marion, Alabama, April 21, 1867, Mr. Hamner
married Mrs. Laura Hendrix Parker, daughter of Wil-
liam and Althea Vernon (Oliver) Hendrix. Her father
was a weU-known Alabama planter, a former member
of the Alamaba legislature and grand master of the
Masonic order of his state. He was one of the three
Masons in the United States who at that time had taken
the 33d degree in Masonry. Miss Laura Vernon Hamner,
the only child of Mr. and Mrs. Hamner, was born at
Memphis, Tennessee, July 17, 1871, and after years of
successful work in the schoolroom is now postmaster at
Claude, Texas.

Augustus G. Hubbard, the Postmaster at Paris, Tex.,
has been intimately associated for nearly thirty years
with the business interests of Paris and with its com-
mercial life. He was identified as a member of the
Paris Dry Goods Company for twenty years, and with
its financial life as an officer of some of the leading
banks of the city. He is a native Texan and was born
in Harrison county, December 13, 1851. His father was
James Hubbard, who came to Texas from South Caro-
lina, in the Abbeville district, where his birth occurred
in 1824; but the family is one of New England origin,
its head' having migrated from Connecticut in the person
of James Hubbard, who went first to Virginia, and served
through the war of 1812 from that state, and later mar-
ried a Miss Wilson of Staunton, that state, and moved
to South Carolina. James Hubbard engaged in the
wholesale grocery business at Hamburg, South Carolina,
there acquired a goodly estate, chiefly consisting of Negro
property, and died at that point in 1847.

The family of James Hubbard comprised James and
John, who came to Texas with their mother, who, it may
be said here, died in Marshall after the Civil war. Both
sons served in the Confederate army, and died here. Two
daughters were also numbered in the family, they being
Mrs Bayless Taylor of Marshall, Texas, and Mrs. Charles
H. Bowles of that city. James Hubbard came to Texas
in about 1849, and spent a few years in Harrison county.
He first engaged in farming, and in 1850 married Miss
Eliza M. Dandridge, a daughter of Nathaniel Watson
Dandridge of Virginia, out of which family came Martha
Washington. In later years Mr. Hubbard settled in
Bowie county, and there engaged in farming. When the
Rebellion came on, he became a strong advocate of Inde-
pendence for the South and joined the Confederate Army
in support of the movement to that end. He joined
Crump's Battalion, was commissioned a first lieutenant,
and rose to a captaincy early in his military career. His
command crossed the Mississippi river in time to take
part in the affair at Corinth, and for three years Captain
Hubbard remained in the eastern department, where the
great campaigns of the Civil War took place. Return-
ing to the Trans-Mississippi Department, he raised a com-
pany, and was assigned to duty under E. Kirby Smith
during the remainder of the war. He escaped wounds
and capture and came out of the long struggle with suf-
ficient health and courage to resume the cultivation of
his Bed river farm, and was later elected to the office of
county judge, in which he officiated for many years, dis-



charging his duties in a manner most satisfactory and
dispensing a justice worthy of a higher court.

Captain Hubbard was a man of education, his training
having been received in a Catholic institution in George-
town, D. C. He was not, however, an orthodox church-
man. He was a strong writer upon topics engaging his
best thought and took rank among the best citizens of
Bowie county. His wife died at Boston in 1870, and he
passed away in Paris in 1887. Their children were Sal-
lie E., now Mrs. J. H. Barry of Paris, Texas, and Augus-
tus G. of this review, he being the first-born of the two.

Augustus G. Hubbard was educated sparingly in the
schools of Marshall and Boston, Texas, the best of his
training coming in the years when the war was in prog-
ress, when educational systems in the south were at a
low ebb, and he grew up chiefly in Bowie county, around
about old Boston. He began his working career as a
clerk in a dry goods store there, and in 1874 he went to
, Cooper, Texas, and engaged in a business of the same
character on his own responsibility, just at the time
when Delta county was being projected. He remained
there in successful business until 1S84, when he identi-
fied himself with his present location, straightway assum-
ing a conspicuous place among the citizenship of Paris.
He quitted mercantile life in 1904, having been long
identified with business there as a member of the Paris
Dry Goods Company, and entereii the banking business
as cashier of the Paris National Bank. With the merg-
ing of that institution with the First National Bank he
became cashier of the latter institution, continuing as such
until May, 1912, when he retired from it and from all
other business activity. Circumstances, however, altered j
his plans, and he felt impelled to once more enter the j
lists, and he did so as president of the Guaranty State
Bank and Trust Company in November, 1912. The con-
cern just mentioned is capitalized at $50,000 and was or-
ganized in 1912 by the Duncan and other local interests,
and its destiny is in the hands of a popular and capable
management. He was appointed postmaster bv President
Wilson in March, 1914.

Mr. Hubbard was married in Bowie county, Texas, in
January, 1874, to Miss Eugenia Moss, a daughter of
Robert J. Moss, a Virginia settler of that county in an
early day. Mrs. Moss was formerly a Miss Blackburn,
whose parents located near Blossom, Texas, in 1845, so
that the family is one that has long been identified with
the state. The children of Mr. and Mrs. Hubbard are as
follows: James, a merchant of New Boston, Texas, who
is married to Alberta Martin and is the father of six
children — Augusta, Eugenia, Robert and Thomas (who
are twins), and Alberta Lee. Robert M. Hubbard is an
attorney of New Boston and is married to Miss Bertie
L. Hart. Thomas is a merchant at Sweetwater, Texas;
he married Pearl Lancaster and has one daughter,
ginia. William E. of Memphis, Texas, is a merchant,
and married Bunnie Bunting. .Tohn H. of Sweetwater
married Shirley McCarty. Sallie E. married John C. Gib-
bons of Paris, Texas, and they have one son, Jack Hub-
bard Gibbons. Mrs. Mary Meyer, also of Paris, has one
son, Gus Hubbard Meyer. Eugenia V. married Frank A.
Bailey, and has one daughter, Eugenia Gibbons Bailey.
Dudley C. is a young business man of Paris, and
Augusta Virginia is the youngest of the ten.

Idris W. Evans. One of the men of whom Bonhani;
Texas, is especially proud and who has accomplished
great work for this city is Idris W. Evans, who was su
perintendent of its schools for thirteen years. Jlr. Evan
has given his entire life to the cause of education
Texas, and he is one of the few educators who seem
have solved the problem of a practical education,
question that is causing much discussion today amonjE
not only educators, but all thinking people. He has comi
bined with the scientific and literary branches such prac
tical subjects that give a student who can take no mon



TEXAS AND TEXANS



1711



than a liigb school course some assets when he starts
out in life for himself.

The father and mother of Idris W. Evans were Welsh,
being natives of the region about Cardiff, Wales, and
belonging to the mining class in that industrial section.
His father, Daniel J. Evans, married Jeanette Jones
clandestinely when they were scarcely more than children,
and their journey to the United States was their bridal
tour. Mr. Evans, like so many of his countryman, was
a musician of more than ordinary ability, and he first
settled in Ohio, being a teacher of vocal music. In 1881
he came to the south, and located in Arkansas, and for
the past several years he has been supervisor of music in
the schools of Little Eock. Six children have been born
to Daniel J. Evans and his wife, the two eldest of these
having died in childhood. Of those living, Idris W. is
the eldest; Mrs. J. E. Collins, living in Carbon, Texas;
Gomer, who is auditor for a lumber company in Okla-
homa, and Gwilym, who is employed by the Cudahy
Packing Company in Little Eock, Arkansas.

Although Mr. Evans is thoroughly southern in his per-
sonality and through the circumstances of breeding and
education, by the accident of birth he is a native of
Ohio, having been born in Summit county on the 20th
of October, 1871. He came to Texas as a youth of
sixteen, with the foundation of a good education and the
ambition to acquire a broader one. He was an unusually
brilliant student, and determined to earn his living and at
the same time increase his own knowledge by becoming
a school teacher. His first experience in this field was
near New Boston, Bowie county, Texas, where he taught
the Eamsay school. He remained in that county until
some time during the nineties, when he came to Fannin
county and taught the Orangeville school. He was later
elected principal of the Dodd City school, and then of
the school at Leonard. While in charge of the school at
the latter place, he was elected county superintendent of
schools. He was re-elected in 1900, and served six
months of his term, when he resigned to accept the posi-
tion of superintendent of the Bonham schools.

This was in 1901, S. B. Foster having preceded him as
superintendent. When he took charge, there was one
small building for the negro pupils, and a frame build-
ing almost in ruins, and a tumble-down brick structure,
both of which occupied the site of the present high
school, for the white children. The value of all the
school property was about fifteen thousand dollars.
There is now a modern high school building, a large
campus and an eight-room building in northeast Bon-
ham, a three-room building set in ample grounds in South
Bonham, and an enlarged building for the negro school.
The property valuation is placed at one hundred and
twenty-one thousand dollars, and there has been an addi-
tional seventy-five thousand dollars in bonds voted for a
new high school. The force of instruction has been mate-
rially increased, there being now twenty-three white teach-
ers and four negroes. When Mr. Evans came to the
school, eleven grades had been established, but he broad-
ened and strengthened the curriculum until now the high
school is one in fact as well as in name. There was only
the nucleus of a library then, and now there are volumes
of reference, text-books, and fiction, sufficient to do credit
to a much larger school. The science department, which
has been woefully neglected in most of our southern
high schools, at the time of Mr. Evans' advent included
onlv physics and chemistry. It has now been enlarged to
include physical geography, physiology, botany, zoology,
agriculture, domestic science and domestic art, manual
training, and mechanical drawing, while German has been
added to the literary course. Splendid instruction is of-
fered in all these branches, the money expended for the
high school alone for instruction being over seven thou-
sand dollars.

Bonham was one of the first cities in the state to
avail itself of the aid offered by the state in giving in-
struction in the departments of agriculture and domestic



science and, in addition to the five thousand dollars of
the state 's money that has been expended, it has ex-
pended ten thousand of its own money on these depart-
ments.

In a bulletin just issued by the United States Depart-
ment of Agriculture at Washington, D. C, the Bonham
high school is given conspicuous mention for its work of
pioneering education in the Texas schools. The bulletin
speaks as follows:

"The Bonham High School took advantage of the
provisions for state aid in teaching agriculture, manual
training, and home economics, enlarged and equipped
laboratories for the work, and purchased five and one-
half acres adjoining the school. The first-year students
have complete charge of the school farm, and upon them
rests the responsibility of preparing the ground, select-
ing the seed, planning the rotations, and planting the
various crops. They have' five recitations from the text-
book in agriculture each week, and each afternoon one
division of the class goes to the field.

' ' The farm is divided into one-fifth and one-tenth acre
plats. Each plat is permanently staked and numbered,
and the boys have drawn a large map and made blue
prints of the farm. Under the direction of the manual
training teacher, they have built a house sixteen by
thirty feet, with a loft capacity of about six tons. This
is being used for the storage of implements, tools, seeds,
and jiroduce, as well as for class work in seed testing,
grading, and all other indoor activities of the farm.

' ' One or more of the following crops have been plant-
ed: Cotton, corn, oats, barley, emmer, rape, millet, Kaf-
fir corn, broom corn, mangels, cowpeas, velvet beans, soy
beans, peanuts, cabbage, onions, tomatoes, beets, and bush
beans. Other crops, such as alfalfa, vetch, bur clover,
crimson clover, rye, wheat, and winter oats are in the
rotations for fall sowing.

"A few simple experiments have been planned and
are being carried out, such as the use of acid phosphate
on cotton and lime on alfalfa, leaving cotton thick and
thin in the row and so forth. In most of the work the
school is aiming to demonstrate principles that have
been already well established. The following are some
of the demonstrations that have been undertaken: (1)
That barnyard manure is valuable and should be utilized,
(2) that crop rotation is a necessary feature in success-
ful agriculture and that legumes should occupy a promi-
nent part in these rotations, (3) that winter cover crops
are essential in retaining soil fertility in the South,

(4) that impro%-ed seeds are important for high yields
and should be selected annually from the growing crop,

(5) that early surface cultivation for conservation of
moisture is necessary as a safeguard against possible
drought in July and August, (6) that deep plowing
rather than shallow is necessary on upland soils to re-
tard erosion and (7) that the better cultivation of
fewer acres and diversified farming involves less risk,
distributes the work more uniformly throughout the
year and in the end is more profitable than straight
farming to cotton and corn. The boys do all the work
and seem glad of the chance to do something from
which they can see immediate results. ' '

During the period in which Mr. Evans has been a
teacher he has spent much time perfecting himself in
his especial line of work. He has devoted his spare
moments to advanced work in education both at Grayson
College at Whiteright, Texas, and at the Summer School
of the University of Chicago. But he demonstrated his
ability chiefly in the success with which he has applied
the methods which the class rooms of these two in-
stitutions promulgated. He is a constant student and
ever on the watch for any way in which his school may
be bettered. A man of broad education himself he
is not narrow-minded and does not think as do so many
superintendents, that his school is perfect, but he was
ever open to suggestion. In the summer Mr. Evans
was chiefly occupied with normal school work in which



1712



TEXAS AND TEXANS



he acted as an instructor. He has made addresses on
education throughout the state and some of his time
was given to his work as a member of the state board
of examiners. This contact with people in all sections
has brought him a wide acquaintance and the character
of the work which he has accomplished together with
his personal popularity has caused a wide demand for
his services.

Mr. Evans was married in Dodd City, Texas, on the
3rd of July, 1895, to Miss Mattie E. Walker, a daughter
of William H. Walker, who was a farmer and an ex-
Confederate soldier. Her mother was ilary E.
(Eincaid) Walker and they were both natives of the
state of Tennessee. Two children, Idris and Kenneth,
have been born to Mr. and Jlrs. Evans and the whole
family are members of the Methodist church. Mr. Evans
himself has been a teacher in the Sunday school for a
number of years. He is not a member of any of the
fraternal orders nor has he ever taken part in politics.

James N. Blake of the firm of Blake & Hinkle, well
known as lumber dealers in Paris, has been identified
with the business and political activities of the city
since 1884. He has been a man of no little prominence
in Paris and in the county and his prosperity is greatly
of his own making. Born in Kauffman county, which
is now included within the limits of Bockwall county,
Texas, on November 25, 1857, he is the son of Chris-
topher Columbus and Mary (Thompson) Blake.

Christopher C. Blake, it may be said here, was born
in Lexington, Kentucky, in 1825 and in 1845 came
thence to Texas. He married Mary Thompson in the
state of Indiana and soon after established himself on a
farm in KaiitVuian county. When the county was divided
he founil himself located in Rockwall county and there
Mrs. Blake died, while he passed away in Collin county,
this state. Christopher Blake was the sole member
of his father's family to identify himself with the
Lone Star state. He served in the Confederate army
under General Griffith and soon after the close of the
war he located in Lamar county, locating near Tanner's
tanyard, where he pursued his calling as a farmer. He
was" a wise parent and reared his family in the knowl-
edge of the dignity of liibor, inspiring them with an
ambition to follow the sini]il.' iiMlii^tiiiil arts. He had
three sons. John H., tlir cM'si, is umv a resident of
Hemphill county, this st:itc; .hinics X., of this review,
was the second born, and the third and youngest is
Monroe, of Seattle, Washington.

The country schools prepared James N. Blake for the
civil duties of life and for many years after he attained
his majority he was occupied in the work of the farm
and in the tanyard. In 1884 he came to Paris and
here got his first real experience in business when he
entered the employ of Joseph Brown, a merchant of
Paris, in the capacity of a clerk. He spent seven years
here in the one place and then went to the Frisco Rail-
road Company, with whom he was employed in the
construction of their line into Paris.

In 1802 Mr. Blake began to gain some prominence
in a political way, and in that year was nominated for
the otfice of district clerk of Lamar county, being elected
as the successor of George W. Martin. He was twice
re-elected — in 1894 and in 1896 — and when he retired,
after six years of honorable service, he added his pres-
ence and his active participation to the lumber concern
which he had previously established with Albert B.
Hinkle, who is still his business associate. The firm of
Blake & Hinkle has conducted a thriving lumber busi-
ness for as many years as it has been in existence in
Paris and is recognized as one of the leading com-
mercial establishments in the city.

On December 15, I'SSl, Mr. Blake was married to Miss
Olivia P. Davis, a daughter of Palmer Davis and a
granddaughter of the pioneer, J. W. Davis, who came



to Texas in 1838 from Cleveland, Ohio, and entered a
large body of land in Red River county.

J. W. Davis was a doctor and practiced medicine for
many years among the people of his locality. He was
twice married and the three children by his first wife
settled at Sacramento, California. The children of his
second marriage were Palmer and David H., who spent
their lives in Lamar county. Dr. Davis is buried at
Spring Hill, Texas. Palmer and David H. Davis were
merchants in Paris prior to the Civil war, in which they
served as soldiers of the Confederacy, and Palmer
Davis died in Paris in 1867. He married Miss Martha
Harrison, a daughter of W. H. Harrison. Mr. Harrison
was of the Virginia branch of this prominent and
honored family. The children of Palmer Davis and his
wife were as follows: Anna, who died in Paris, the
wife of Ed Bonham, leaving one son, Edward; Olivia
P. was born January 22, 1863, and John W. who died
in 1891, unmarried. No children have been born to
Mr. and Mrs. Blake.

Mr. Blake is a Past Master of Paris Lodge, No. 27,
A. F. & A. M., and is a Past Chancellor of the Knights
of Pythias. He was reared in the influence of the
Presbyterian faith and has followed in the precepts of
that church.

J. D. CoTTRELL. For thirty-one years J. D. Cottrell
has been a resident of Piano, Texas, and for nearly
twenty years of this time has been prominent at the
bar. Primarily a legist, he developed such aptness for
affairs, such strength of character and solidity of ,iud^-
ment, that he became a legislator, a leader in the public
life of the community, and an important factor in
social affairs in his adopted place. Practically the
entire growth of Piano has passed under his eyes and
he has contributed in no small way to the development
which has made this one of the leading cities of Collin
county and a center of business prosperity, professional
importance and educational and religious activity.

Mr. Cottrell was born on a farm in the vicinity of
Cumberland Gap, Claiborne county, Tennessee, February
3, 1866, and is a son of Samuel E. and Mollie (Norvell)
Cottrell. On the paternal side of the family he is of
Welsh descent, while his mother's ancestors were French
and the grandparents on both sides migrated from
Virginia to Tennessee at an early date. In the paternal
grandfather 's family there were fifteen children, while
the maternal grandfather had nine sons and daughters,
and at this time Mr. Cottrell has no less than one hun-
dred and eight living cousins of whom he personally
knows. A sister of Mr. Cottrell, Alice, the wife of
J. H. Potts, resides at McKinney, Texas. Samuel E.
Cottrell was born in Virginia and was a youth when
taken by his parents to Tennessee. There he grew up
a planter and stockraiser, adopted those vocations when
he embarked upon a career of his own, and, like his
father, operated his land with slave labor prior to the
outbreak of the Civil war. He was an energetic and
enterprising man and made a success of his operations,
continuing to be engaged therein until his death, about
1896, the mother having passed away in 1873. Samuel
E. and Mollie Cottrell were the parents of nine children,
of whom two died in infancy, while five still survive, and
J. D. Cottrell is the fourth in order of birth. The
father was married a second time to Miss Mary Mundy,
daughter of Lake Mundy, a brick mason and carpenter
of Tennessee, and to this union there were born seven
children, all of whom are living.

After securing his primary educational training in
the public schools of his native state, J. D. Cottrell
started assisting his father in the work of the home
farm, but, tiring of farm life, at the age of seventeen
he left the parental roof and made his way to Texas.
Here he took a course in the Piano Institute, at that



Online LibraryFrancis White JohnsonA history of Texas and Texans (Volume 4) → online text (page 38 of 177)