Francis White Johnson.

A history of Texas and Texans (Volume 4) online

. (page 4 of 177)
Online LibraryFrancis White JohnsonA history of Texas and Texans (Volume 4) → online text (page 4 of 177)
Font size
QR-code for this ebook


rado. Eev. McNary was reared on a farm and graduated
from Jefferson College (now Washington and Jefferson
College), in Pennsylvania, in 1861. He had an unusually
long and interesting record as a soldier of the Union.
Enlisting in the Tenth Pennsylvania Eeserve Corps in
April, 1861, he arrived at Washington, April 22, 1861,



remarkable record of
years of age, he '



and his regiment was one of the first three-year troops
to report. This Pennsylvania Eeserve Corps had been
enlisted and drilled in anticipation of the second call
for troops, and retained its first name throughout the
war. It was a complete army in itself, fifteen thousand
strong, composed of one regiment each of cavalry,
artillery and sharpshooters or skirmishers, and twelve
regiments of infantry. With his regiment, Mr. McNary
was in the Seven Days' Battle in 1862, being in four of
the engagements at Mechanicsville. Gaines Mills, Charles
City, Cross Eoads and Malvern Hill. He was also in
the battle of South Mountain and Antietam. In No-
vember, 1862, he was transferred to the One Hundred
and Twenty-third Eegiment of Pennsylvania A^olunteers
and commissioned adjutant. In that regiment he was in
the Battle of Fredericksburg under Burnside and in
ChanceUorsville under Hooker. The One Hundred and
Twenty-third Eegiment was a nine month-; ' r(^i^iment, its
time expiring 'in May, 1862, at which date he was mus-
tered out. In Lee's invasion of Pennsylvania in the
summer of 1863, an army of Pennsylvania militia was
organized and mustered into the United States service
for the defense of the state. Mr. McNary helped to
recruit the Fifty-eighth Eegiment and was commissioned
Lieutenant Colonel. That regiment assisted in the cap-
ture of General John Slorgan in his raid up the Ohio
Valley. In the summer of 1864 he helped to recruit the
One Hundred and Ninety-third Volunteers, was appointed
adjutant, and served under the same colonel who had
commanded the One Hundred and Twenty-third. This
was a 100 days' regiment, and served only in guard duty
in the border states of Maryland and Delaware.

In 1870, several years after the war, Eev. McNary
moved out to Indiana, and has since been actively
identified with his ministerial duties. His wife, Eliza-
beth Graham, was born in Allegheny County, Pennsyl-
vania, near Pittsburgh, in 1844, and "died at Pittsburgh
in 1901 at the age of fifty-seven, a true gentlewoman,
endowed with rare beauty of person and charm of man-
ner, the influence of her sweet christian character ex-
tended far beyond the rich circle of home life over which
she presided.

James Graham McNary received most of his education
in Tarkio College at Tarkio, Missouri. His father was
for thirteen years president of the Board of Directors
of that institution, one of the strongest small colleges
in the middle west. After his graduation from Tarkio
College in 1898, Mr. McNary was a student in the Uni-
versitv of Chicago and later'went abroad, completing his
education in tlie University of Leipzig, Germany, where
he remained one year. Few men in the learned profes-
sion in Texas have received more liberal education than
Mr. McNarv, and at the beginning of his career he took
up work as an educator. In 1899 he was teacher of
modern languages in the New Mexico Normal University
at Las Vegas, and spent five years in school work. His
next line of endeavor was the newspaper business, and
he became manager and editor of the Las Vegas Daily
Optic. In polities he is a Eepubliean. During his four
years' connection with the Optic he took an active in-
terest in politics. He served for three years as Public
Printer of New Mexico, to which oflSce he was ap-
pointed by Governor Miguel A. Otero.

Having sold his interest in this enterprise, Mr. Mo-
Nary, in the fall of 1906, came to El Paso. He began
as an employe of the First National Bank, and after
two years vvas elected Assistant Cashier of the First
National Bank, and two years later elected a Vice
President, and has since been chosen First Vice Presi-
dent and Chairman of the Executive Committee of this
institution. In 1911 IMr. McNary was President of the
El Paso Chamber of Commerce and has been an effective
worker for business and industrial developments in this
city. He is a Director and Treasurer of the Southwest-
ern Portland Cement Company at El Paso; a Director
and Treasurer of the EI Paso Grain & Milling Company;



TEXAS AND TEXANS



1605



a Director of The James A. Dick Wholesale Grocery
Company; a Director and Treasurer of the Paso del
Norte Hotel Company, and the El Paso Hotel Company,
having been one of the promoters of El Paso 's million
dollar hotel, which has so intimately concerned the
prosperity of the City; he is a Director and Vice Presi-
dent of The First Mortgage Company and also of the
American Trust & Savings Banlj; a Director of the Eio
Grande & El Paso Eailway Company, and a director of
the W. M. Cady Lumber Company, and the McNary
Lumber Company, at McNary, Louisiana, near Alex-
andria. The town of McNary, whose two lumber mills
have a daily capacity of 500,000 feet, was named after
him.

Mr. McNary, aside from business, is very much inter-
ested in musical affairs, and is himself a trained and
accomplished musician. During his first four years ' resi-
dence in El Paso he was musical director of the El Paso
Choral Society, with a membership of one hundred. He
possesses an excellent baritone voice, and in the different
places of his residence he has done much to direct and
elevate musical activities. For three years he served as
Treasurer, Director and Vice President of the Toltee
Club; in 1913 he was elected President of the El Paso
Social Club ; he is also a member of the El Paso Country
Club; is a Director of the Y. M. C. A., and a member
of the Board of Trustees and Treasurer of the First
Presbyterian Church.

At Las Vegas, New Mexico, October 8, 1902, Mr.
McNary married Miss Euth Eayuokls, daughter of
Joshua S. Eaynolds, and a native of Central City, Colo-
rado. Her father is one of the pioneer bankers of the
west, beginning his career with the Colorado National
Bank of Denver, of which he was elected Cashier in
1871. He is now President of the First National Bank
of Albuquerque, New Mexico, and the First National
Bank of El Paso, Texas. Mr. McNary has had the ad-
vantage of acquiring his experience in the banking
business by close personal association with the foremost
banker of the southwest.

Mr. and Mrs. McNary are the parents of five children,
four of whom are now living: Graham Eaynolds Mo-
Nary was born in Las Vegas, February 4, 1904; Euth
Eli2abeth was born July 4, 1905, at Las Vegas; one child
was born October 21, 1906, and died at El Paso April
27, 1907 ; Marjorie May was born at El Paso May 5,
1910; Martha was born in El Paso, October 16, 1912.
The McNary residence is 1617 Arijona Street.

From the age of twelve to twenty years, Mr. McNary
spent his summers working on the farm of the late
David Eankin, one of the greatest American farmers,
and on the estate of that great farm king he earned his
bread by the sweat of his brow and learned the value
of a dollar.

Mrs. McNary takes an active interest in women's
clubs and charity work, being a Director of the
Y. W. C. A., the El Paso Women 's Club, and an active
member of the Board of Directors of the Charity Asso-
ciation. She is an accomplished musician, being a grad-
uate of the New England Conservatory of Music, and a
violinist and organist of unusual ability.

Egbert Ltnn Batts, of the law firm of Gregory,
Batts & Brooks, has, since locating in Austin in 1900,
gained a reputation as one of the most forceful mem-
bers of the local bar, and has few peers throughout the
state. His clear, analytical mind affords him unusual
facility in working out the details of a case, and his
contemporaries are quick to acknowledge his special
abilities and his high position among the lawyers of
Texas. He is a native son of the Lone Star state, hav-
ing been born at Bastrop, November 1, 1864, his parents
being Andrew Jackson and Julia (Eice) Batts.

Andrew Jackson Batts was a native of Virginia, and
a descendant of one of the very earliest Colonial families
of the Old Dominion. In 1857 he sought the West and



located at Bastrop, where he was residing at the time
of the outbreak of the war between the states, through-
out which he participated as a soldier in the Confederate
army. With the fall of the Lost Cause he returned to
Bastrop and here rounded out a useful and successful
career, passing away in 1890. He was married in Texas
to Miss Julia Eice, who was born in Alabama, and came
to Texas as an infant with her parents in 1845, the
family locating in Burnet county, where for years they
followed agricultural pursuits.

Eobert Lynii Batts was granted excellent educational
facilities, and after completing the usual preparatory
courses entered the University of Texas, from which
institution he was graduated with the degree of Bachelor
of Laws in 1886. At that time he entered upon the
practice of his chosen calling at Bastrop, and continued
there until 1892, when he became assistant attorney
general, under Attorney General Charles A. Culberson,
now United States Senator from Texas. Mr. Batts' high
accomplishments won him a full professorship when he
was but thirty years of age, as a member of the law
faculty of the University of Texas, a position which he
held for a number of years. He took up active prac-
tice in 1900, becoming a member of the firm of Gregory
& Batts, with Thomas W. Gregory, and in 1907 Victor
L. Brooks was admitted to the firm, the style of which
then became as now, Gregory, Batts & Brooks. This is
known at this time as one of the strongest legal com-
binations in the state, and has been connected with nu-
merous important cases including the noted case of the
State of Texas vs. Waters-Pierce Oil Company, in which
the firm represented the state. Mr. Batts is" the author-
of numerous articles relating to his profession, which
give evidence of excellent literary ability and taste, a
broad knowledge of his calling, and a vigorous style.
Among his technical works may be mentioned "Anno-
tated Civil Statutes of Texas" and "Corporation Laws
of Texas." The offices of the concern are located in the
Austin National Bank Building, while Mr. Batts ' home
is at No. 2400 Lampasas street. He enjoys membership
in the Masons, in the Odd Fellows and in the Kappa
Alpha fraternity. His political affiliation is with the
democratic party.

In 1889 Mr. Batts was married to Miss Harriet Boak,
who is the daughter of the late John C. Boak, of Aus-
tin; and to this union there have been born three chil-
dren, namely: Eobert E. Lee, Mary and Margaret.

William F. Eamset. One of the eminent repre-
sentatives of the bench and bar in Texas, Mr. Eamsey
has been actively connected with his profession for
more than thirty-five years, attained to the highest honors
in the Texas judiciary as Judge of the Court of Crim-
inal Appeal and as associate justice in the supreme
court, being the otiIv ].prsmi in history of the state
who occupied both tlirsr in-iiinns. Since retiring from
the bench he has .-if irihi,.] in :i large private practice at
Austin. Judge Brun^rv i.'|.i ixnits a Scotch family, which
emigrated from Scotland in l.>00 and settled in North
Carolina, and has subsequently furnished many names
notable in business, the professions, and in public affairs.

William F. Eamsey is a native of Texas, born October
25, 1855, in Bell county. His parents were .Tohn J. and
Nancy (Clark) Eamsev. His father, a native of Ken-
tucky, came to Texas' in 1853, settling first in Falls
county, later moving to Gonyales county, and in 1861
enlistrd for service in the Confederate army. His mili-
tary record covers practically the entire conflict between
the states, and at the close of the war he held the rank
of second lieutenant. He then settled in .Johnson county,
where he acquired large interests as a farmer and
merohant and where he lived until his death in 1904.
His wife was a native of Tennessee, and she died in
October, 1871.

.Judge Eamsey spent most of his youth in Johnson
county, attended the common schools of that locality,



1606



TEXAS AND TEXANS



and received his college training in Trinity University
at Tehuacana, Limestone county. From that old and
splendid center ot Texas education he was graduated
Bachelor of Arts in 1876, and received his degree m law
in 1877. Judge Kamsey began practice at Cleburne on
the 4th of July, 1S77. Cleburne remained his home and
the center of his large and growing practice as a law-
yer until January 1, 1908. At the latter date he moved
to Austin, having accepted appointment as one of the
justices of the court of criminal appeals, qualifying for
the office on the first of January, and filling out an un-
expired term. In November, 1908, he was elected for
the regular terra of four years, beginning January 1,
1909. However, on January 5, 1911, he resigned to
accept a place as associate judge of the supreme court.
On March 29, 1912, he resigned this high judicial place
in order to make the campaign for the Democratic nomin-
ation for Governor of Texas. He was one of the con-
tenders for this honor at the Democratic primaries m
July, 1912, but in spite of his vigorous campaign did not
succeed in wresting the honors from the incumbent of the
office, Governor, Corquitt. On October 1, 1912, resumed
private practice at Austin, and that city is now his per-
manent home. Judge Eamsey in 1884 was one of the
presidents of electors on the Cleveland ticket.

He stands high in Masonry, having taken thirty-two
degrees in the Scottish Bite, and in the York rite is
Past Eminent Commander of the Knights Templar. He
also belongs to the Hilla Temple of the Mystic Shrine at
Dallas. Other fraternal associations include member-
ship in the Benevolent and Protective Order of Elks.

Until lie moved to Austin to accept judicial office.
Judge Eamsey was prominent in banking. In 1900 he
became president of the National Bank of Cleburne, was
president of the First National Bank of Covington, and
president of the Farmers and Traders Bank of Eio Vista.
He resigned all these financial connections m 1908, on
his removal to Austin.

On January 28, 1878, Judge Eamsey married Miss
Emma Johnson, a daughter of Eev. Felix Johnson a
prominent Presbyterian minister of Paris, Texas. Mrs.
Eamsey died April 1, 188.5, leaving a son, William F.
Eamsey, Jr., who is now a practicing attorney at Cle-
burne. On October 13, 1886. Judge Eamsey married Miss
Eowena Hill, a daughter of Malcolm and Mary J. Hill,
of LaGrange, Texas. There are three sons and three
daughters by this marriage. Judge Eamsey and family
reside at 106 27th street, Austin.

Hon. John L. Little. Though only forty-one years
of age at the time of his death at Kountze on December
14, 1913, the late John Lowery Little had a career filled
with the successes of the able lawyer and with the distinc-
tions of public life, and as a former member of the
Legislature, county judge, and as a member of the Texas
bar his name was known and honored in many sections
of the State awav from his home community. After
Judge Little had" concluded his service in the State
Legislature in 1903, he began the new year by estab-
lishing an office at Kount?e, in Hardin county, where he
continued the practice of law until his death. Besides a
general practice he was local attorney for the Southern
Pacific and Santa Fe Eailroads.

John L Little was born in Covington county, Ala-
bama, in 1872, but spent most of his life in Texas, his
parents having located in Milam county m 1876. His
father, James M. Little, who died in Milam county in
1896 was born in Jefferson county, Georgia, of Scotch
anceitrr nnd in rnrlv lifo wns a lawyer and served for

timf -IS di-tvi.'t •ittnnii'v of Covington county. Sub-
semiPiitlV lir Irft 111'.' lii« t,, t;.kr ii|. the ministry of the
Prpsbvtc'iriii .luir.'li :iihI i .hi;! mr.l a consecrated and
active worker in the chur.'h until his death. He had also
been a soldier in the Confederacy, going through the
entire war as a member of an Alabama regiment. The
mother of Judge Little was Martha A. Pendry Little,
a native ot Jefferson county, Georgia.



John L. Little, who was reared in Milam county from
the age of four years, had the advantages of the local
schools, and then entered the Southwestern University at
Georgetown, from which he was graduated with the class
of 1896. Taking up the study of law with Major John
A. Green in San Antonio, he remained there until his
admission to the bar in 1897, and then established his
practice in that city. Judge Little was always actively
interested in politics, and after four years as a lawyer
at San Antonio was elected a member of the State
Legislature and served one term. In the latter part of
1903 he moved to Koimtze and began his practice on the
first of the following year. The citizens of Hardin
county manifested their confidence in his integrity and
ability by electing him county judge, an office which he
capably filled from 1910 until 1912. In the latter
year Judge Little made the race for Congress from the
Second Congressional district, being one of the five
candidates for that honor before the primaries. While
prominent in politics, a popular campaign orator. Judge
Little was essentially a public-spirited citizen whose
best work was the disinterested service of the community
and State, rather than for the sake of personal advance-
ment.

He also had a military record. During the Spanish-
American war he was lieutenant of Company I of the
First Texas Infantry, U. S. Volunteers. His regiment
went to MobDe, Alabama, then to Miami, Florida, where
it was transferred to General Lee's corps, and after being
stationed at Jacksonville and Savannah, was sent to
Havana, Cuba. Judge Little was well known in Masonic
circles, having taken the thirty-second degree of Scottish
Eite, and was a member of El Mina Temple of the
Mystic Shrine at Galveston, and was also affiliated with
the Modern Woodmen of America, the Maccabees and
the Knights of Pythias.

Mrs. Little, who is now a resident of Beaumont, is of
an old and prominent Texas family. She and Judge
Little were married at San Antonio August 21, 1898.
Before her marriage Mrs. Little was Miss Carrie Power,
born in Independence, Texas, and a grand-niece of
General Sam Houston and granddaughter of Colonel
Charles Power, once prominent as a citizen both of
Galveston and Independence. Judge Little and wife had
four children: Weldon Lowery Little, now deceased;
Charles Power Little; Marjorie Power Little, and John
Lowery Little.

John Charles Townes, LL. D. Extraordinary as
as has been the growth of the common school system of
Austin, as well as its trade and commerce, the progress
made in the establishment here of higher institutions of
learning has been no less remarkable, so that it is now
probably the greatest educational center of the state,
and it is also one of the important commercial centers.
The University of Texas, established on a broad base,
both as to endowment and plans and scope of instruction,
is recognized as one of the leading educational institu-
tions in the country, made so by the high standing and
ability of the educators in charge of its multiform depart-
ments. John Charles Townes, LL. D., dean of the law
school, is a member of a family long prominent in the
profession of law, although it is in connection with the
cause of education that his name will be best entitled to
remembrance as one of the benefactors of his city and
state. . . , ,

Doctor Townes wns born at Tuscumbia, Alabama, Jan-
uary 30, IS-'L', ami is ,i son of Eggleston D. and Martha
Cousins' (Hrlls) 'ri>\Mi('s. His grandfather, a descend-
a'nt of thi' cirh Vii-inia settlers,, was John Leigh
Townes a iiiiMiibrr <>{ the Territorial Constitutional Con-
vention' of Alaliania. Eggleston D. Townes was a large
rilanter became prominent in the field of law, and was
chancellor of the Northern District of Alabama. He
moved to Texas in 1856, and, settling in Travis county,




rr^J^-^^^v



TEXAS AND TEXANS



1607



became a member of the House of Representatives and
of the Senate of Texas. During the war between the
states he was a major of Texas troops and saw active
service at Sabine Pass and other points in Texas and
Louisiana, but during the progress of the struggle his
health was undermined and he was forced to resign his
commissioQ and return to his home, where his death oc-
curred August 30, 1864. The mother survived until 1893.

After thorough preparation Doctor Townes became a
student at Baylor University, which he attended from
1S67 to 1869, and from that institution received the
degree of Doctor of Laws in 1898. He took up the study
of law in 1869 and in 1873 was admitted to the bar at
Austin, follwing which he was engaged in active practice
in this city until 1877, the next eight years being passed
at San Saba, Texas. In 1882 he became judge of the
Thirty-third Judicial District of Texas, continuing to act
in that capacity until 1885, when he resigned and re-
moved to Georgetown, there continuing in practice until
1888, when he was appointed by Govenror Boss, judge
of tiie Twenty-sixth Judicial District of Texas, but in
August of the same year resigned the office and returned
to Austin where he formed a law partnership with S. E.
Fisher, under the firm style of Fisher & Townes. This
association continued until 1896, when Doctor Townes
was appointed professor of law at the University of
Texas, and in 1902 was made the first dean of the law
school of the University. After one year he resigned to
devote his entire attention to his duties as professor of
law, but in the fall of 1907 was again made dean of the
law school and has held that position to the present
time. In 1909 and 1910 he was president of the Asso-
ciation of American Eaw Schools. "While he has borne
a fair share of the labors of professional and public life,
accomplishing not less for the public welfare than for his
own advantage, he has at the same time preserved his
love of letters and his indulgence in the amenities of a
refined and gentle life. As an author, he is well known
in the line of his calling, among his numerous contribu-
tions to legal literature being "Townes' Texas Plead-
ings'' (1901, second edition 1913); "Studies of Amer-
ican Elementary Law" (1903, second edition 1911);
"General Principles of the Law of Torts" (1907);
"Civil Government in the United States and in Texas"
(1908), and "Law Books and How to Use Them"
(1909). His political allegiance is given to the demo-
cratic party, while his religious connection is with the
Baptist church, in which he is a deacon.

On December 28, 1871, Doctor Townes was married
to Miss Kate Wildbahn. daughter of Isaac and Ann D.
Wildhahn, of Manor, Texas, who came to this state in
1854 from Alabama. Four children have been born to
this union: Ernest W., who is engaged in the practice
of law at Houston ; Edgar E., a legal practitioner of
Beaumont; John Charles, Jr., associated with the law
firm of Baker, Botts, Parker & Garwood, at Houston;
and Anne C, a teacher in Miss Whitis' school at Aus-
tin. Doctor and Mrs. Townes reside in their pleasant
home at No. 2800 Eio Grande street.

WiLU.wr Thomas Caswell. One of the comparatively
few whose genius for large undertaking and achievement
determines the business destinies of the localities in
which they live and labor is William Thomas Caswell, of
Austin. Brought in early manhood in touch with the
cotton business, he seized upon his opjiortunity, mastered
the rudiments of the trade with a thoroughness that has
characterized his every action in life, and upon this
practical knowledge has builded his exceptional business
career. One by one he has seen the possibilities as they
have opened before him, and each possibility has first
become a probability and then made a certainty, until
now he is one of the largest cotton ex-porters' in the
United States. Incidentally, he has become interested
in real estate and timber lands, and gives the benefit



of his broad knowledge, clear judgment and vast experi-
ence to various other lines of industry.

Mr. Caswell was born in Nashville, Tennessee, in 1877,
and is a son of Daniel Haskell and Louise (Broadwell)
Caswell. On his father's side he is descended from
Scotch-Irish stock which emigrated to America before
the days of the Revolutionary War and settled in Maine,



Online LibraryFrancis White JohnsonA history of Texas and Texans (Volume 4) → online text (page 4 of 177)