Francis White Johnson.

A history of Texas and Texans (Volume 4) online

. (page 40 of 177)
Online LibraryFrancis White JohnsonA history of Texas and Texans (Volume 4) → online text (page 40 of 177)
Font size
QR-code for this ebook


until his death always supported and was a valued
worker in the Democratic party, serving as a member
of the County Democratic committee at the time of his
death. After an illness of ' only three days he passed
away at his commodious home, two miles north of
McKinney. The funeral was held at his residence on
September 5 and hundreds came to bear testimony of
their respect for the deceased, the house, porches and
the yard being filled with the concourse of those who
had known him in life. His body was laid to rest in
the Pecan Grove cemetery of McKinney and the funeral
was preached by the Rev. C. C. Young of the Methodist
Episcopal church. Those who knew him best speak with
admiration of his progressiveness as a citizen, his will-
ingness to lend his support to every worthy enterprise
for the benefit of his community, his friendship to the
poor, his helpfulness as a neighbor and the singular
devotion and affection which he lavished upon his family.
Perhaps with a keen sense of his own early handicaps
in the way of education, he provided liberally for the
training of his children, and believed in the substantial
comforts of the world and erected in his later years a
beautiful residence as the most conspicuous feature of
his splendid farm north of McKinney. His home cost
about five thousand dollars and his widow and two
youngest children still occupy it.

At Dallas, Texas, December 23, 1882, Thomas B.
Wilson married Miss Etta Eastes, a daughter of George
W. and Eliza Eastes. Her father was one of the sur-
viving veterans of the war with Mexico during 1846-48,
was for many years an active farmer at Collin county
and died March 3, 1891, while his wife passed away
October i;0, 1909. To the marriage of Mr. Wilson and
wife were born three children, two daughters and one
son: Pauline B., the wife of J. L. McEntire, a farmer
of Collin county; Miss Estelle H., who lives at home
with her mother, and Addison G., who lives at home,
carried on the abstract business founded by his father
and also the farm and the settlement of his father's
estate.

Dr. Frank Litten. One of the successful and promi-
nent physicians and surgeons of Austin is Dr. Frank
Litten, a lifelong resident of this city, where he was born
on September 8, 1863. He is a son "of Dr. James M. and
Mary L. Litten, natives of South Carolina and Tennes-
see, respectively. The father came to Austin in 1852
and was occupied in the general practice of medicine
until the time of his death, on March 31, 1900. He was
a man of prominence here, successful in his profession
and highly thought of in all walks of life. The mother
is yet living and has her home in Austin. For years Dr.
James M. Litten was physician to the State Lunatic Asy-
lum and Blind Institute in Austin, and he was also local
surgeon to the Federal troops while they were' stationed
here after the Civil war. He was of English descent,
tracing his ancestry back to the Pilgrim Fathers of early
American settlement.

Dr. Frank Litten was educated in the public schools
of Austin in the matter of his early training, after which
he attended Jefferson Medical College of Philadelphia,



in 1887, graduating therefrom with his M. D. degree.
Immediately the young doctor engaged in practice in com-
pany with his father, and that association was terminated
only by the death of the elder man. They were success-
ful in their concerted work, and had a wide practice in
the city, which Dr. Frank Litten has retained since the
passing of his father, successfully carrying on the worthy
work long ago inaugurated by the senior member of their
professional combination.

Dr. Litten is a member of the Local and State Medical
Societies, and is active in the work of both bodies.

On June 15, 1904, Dr. Litten was married to Miss
Mildred Eeese of Waco, Texas. She was a daughter of
Major E. F. Beese, long active in the carriage manufac-
turing business, but now retired. He was Sergeant-
Major in the Confederate Army, Hapgoods First Regi-
ment of South C?arolina, and served throughout the entire
war, having enlisted at Charleston when the first gun of
the war was fired. He came to Texas in 1869, establish-
ing him.self in business, and here he has since continued,
having long had a prominent place in business and other
circles of Waco, where the family home has been located.

Dr. and Mrs. Litten are socially prominent in Austin,
and the doctor is highly regarded in professional circles
of the city and county. The home of the family is at
No. 116 West Seventh Street.

George W. Fox. In Collin county the first wholesale
grocery house established was due to the enterprise of
George W. Fox, who for a number of years was identified
with the business and has since been in the real estate
and loan business at McKinney. His record as a busi-
ness man and citizen is well known in that part of
Texas and he has spent all his life in Collin county and
has made his career one of value both to himself and
to his community.

His birth occurred on a farm in Collin county March
30, 1867. His parents, S. H. and Sallie (Barnes) Fox,
were both natives of Missouri, came from that state
to Texas and were early settlers of Collin county, where
the father followed farming throughout his active career.
During the war between the states he volunteered for
service in the Confederate army, participated in a num-
ber of the strenuous campaigns of the war and though
wounded several times continued in the service until
the end. After the war he resumed farming and stock
raising, and is now living at the age of about seventy-
eight, retired from business, in McKinney, enjoying the
fruits of a well spent career. The mother is also stilt
living.

George W. Fox, who was the sixth in a family of
fourteen children, seven of whom are living, was educated
in the public schools of Collin county, took a business
course at Dallas and had his first regular experience as
a clerk in a department store at McKinney. From that
he transferred his enterprise to a retaU grocery house,
was in business eleven years as a retail grocer and then
organized the Fox Wholesale Grocery Company, which, as
already stated, was the first establishment of its kind
in Collin county. Mr. Fox remained its president and
general manager about six years, then bought out the
rest of the stockholders and continued in business under
the name of G.. W. Fox, Wholesale Grocer. Ill health
compelled him to retire from the grocery trade in 1911
and since then he has given his attention to real estate
and loans.

In political matters Mr. Fox can be found in the
regular ranks of the Democratic party, but has not
sought any public oflSce. He is none the less an active
worker for local progress, is a member of the Chamber
of Commerce and is secretary and treasurer of the good
roads organization of Collin county. His fraternal
affiliations are with the Masonic Order and the Benevo-
lent and Protective Order of Elks, and his church home
is the Christian denomination.

At McKinney in 1889 Mr. Fox married Miss Lula




/7^y^K>^



TEXAS AND TEXANS



1717



LiUard, who lost both lier father and mother when she
was a child and waa brought up an orphan. Of the
four children born to their marriage the two now living
are: Grace, who married Edgar McKinney, who is
secretary of the Home Relief Association at McKinney,
and Miss Maude, aged thirteen, and now attending
school. The business office of Mr. Fox is on Kentucky
street, in the Masonic building, and his home on North
College street.

Thomas Water Wtlet, M. D. The tangible result
of years of effort, intelligently directed by a thoroughly
trained mind, are substantially gratifying to the in-
dividual who has devoted his life to carrying out the
highest ideals of a certain chosen calling. No man
can be greater than his appreciation of the responsibility
he owes the world, and the professional men who rise
highest are those who endeavor to aid humanity and to
contribute to the achievements of the science which has
enlisted their efforts. One of the distinguished medical
men of Texas, whose career has been characterized by
high achievements and steadfast devotion to exalted aims,
is Dr. Thomas Water Wiley of McKinney, where for
forty-eight years he has been engaged in constant
practice.

In Dr. Wiley's character are found embodied the best
traits of his Scotch and Irish ancestors, as well as those
of his English and German connections. He was born
November 14, 1S3S, in Butler county, Alabama, and is
a son of J. MeCaleb and Elizabeth T. (Duckworth)
Wiley, the former a native of North Carolina and the
latter of Alabama. His father was for years a dis-
tinguished southern legist, a slave owner and a district
judge, and died two years after retiring from the bench
at about the age of seventy-two years. The mother
was related to Sir John Duckworth of the English Navy,
who was an officer of the tlagship Prince Eoyal of
Admiral Byron, and saUed to the West Indies, where
he participated in ■ the engagement with the French
fleet. Early in 1799 he was raised to the rank of rear
admiral and sent to the West Indies to succeed Lord
Hugh Seymour. While in command of the Eoyal George
he forced the passage of the Dardanelles and sustained
considerable loss in effecting his return, the Turks having
strengthened their position. Sir John Duckworth sat in
Parliament for some time as member for New Eomney.

To the union of J. McCaleb and Elizabeth T. (Duck-
worth) Wiley there were born four children, of whom
Dr. Wiley is the third in order of birth and the only
survivor. The second marriage of Judge J. McCaleb
Wiley was to a Mrs. Taft, formerly Miss Appling, and
to this union there were five children. A. A. Wiley, one
of the sons, was lieutenant colonel of the Eifth U. S.
Infantry during the Spanish-American war, and for
meritorious services was appointed by the general in
charge in Cuba as law officer of tie island. After his
return to Alabama he was elected to office as congress-
man from the Montgomery District and died while serv-
ing his fourth term, being succeeded by his brother,
Oliver C. Wiley.

Dr. Thomas Water Wiley grew up in his home locality
in Alabama, and there his early education was secured.
Like his father he became an owner of slaves and when
the war between the states broke out he cast his fortunes
with the Confederacy and voted for Secession in 1861.
Not content to give only his moral support to the cause,
he enlisted in Company A, Sixth Eegiment. Alabama
Volunteer Infantry, and continued with that company
until 1863, in which year he was transferred to Com-
pany H, of the Fifty-Fourth Alabama. He was wounded
at the' battle of Peach Tree Creek, in front of Atlanta,



July iO, 1SG4. an.:
a broken li-^ mil il
rendered at a lin^i
he was cninjullcl
with his cr\it(/ho3



ined on crutches as the result of
Mttor part of ISfi.l, when he snr-
1 Alabama. As he was penniless
lake his way as best he could
than two-thirds of the way to



his home at Troy, a distance of fifty-six miles. In 1867
Dr. Wiley came to Texas and located at McKinney and
this has since been his field of practice. He has served
as health officer tor several years, but his reputation has
been won along the line of personal achievement rather
than in positions of preferment. He was the first
surgeon in Collin county to successfully perform
hysterectomy and appendectomy, the first to opeiate uu
the stomach for gunshot wounds, the first to remove the
lower jawbone for bone disease and the only physician
who has performed successfully the Cesarian operation
and delivered a crying infant. Keen discrimination in
the diagnosis of a case, sound judgment in prescribing
methods of treatment, unerring skill in delicate surgical
operations and a constant devotion to the highest ethics
of his honored calling have won him rank among the
foremost practitioners of the state. He belongs to the
various organizations of his profession and still con-
tinues to be as faithful a student as he was when he
first entered upon his career. In Masonry he has at-
tained high position, having advanced to the Knight
Templar degree, and in Oddtellowship is past grand
master of the Grand Lodge of the state and past grand
representative from Texas to the Sovereign Grand Lodge
of the World.

On December 21, 1859, Dr. Wiley was married to
Miss Susan Henderson of Troy, Alabama^ who died
in 1871, leaving five children: James E., of McKinney;
Etta, who is the wife of James Ball of Dallas; Henry,
who is a commander in the United States Navy, and
two daughters, twins, one now deceased and the other
Mrs. Lela Henderson, living at Jacksonville, Florida.
On June 10, 1873, Dr. Wiley was married to Miss
Martha E. Hudson, daughter of Richard B. Hudson,
a farmer and slave holder of Mississippi prior to the
Civil war. Three children were born to this union:
Miss Betsy, of Dallas, assistant in the City Library;
Walter H., who is a rural mail carrier out of McKinney
in the United States Mail Service, and Mary B., who
is the wife of L. F. Carlton, auditor for the Stone &
Webster Eailroad contractors. Dr. Wiley resides in his
comfortable home at No. 205 West Louisiana street,
McKinney.

Eev. William B. Kendall, pastor of the First
Baptist church of Paris, is one of the stirring and
spirited men of the ministry of Texas.

Born at Gravsville. Kentucky, Julv 3, 1874, William
B. Kendall is the son of Eev. John G. Kendall, con-
nected with the First Baptist church in Waco, Texas,
for the ii;ist tw.Mit.v-tliree years. He was born in Todd
county, Kriiiii.kv, m 1847, received his education at
Greenvillr, Scmih i ;aolina, and at an early age engaged
in the ministry, lie was a son of John W. Kendall "of
Graysville, Kentucky, born there of North Carolina
parents. His mother rode from the old Tarheel state
on horseback when a young girl, crossed the Allegheny
mountains and settled in the vicinity of Graysville, where
she planted the weeping willow switch she cut for a
riding crop before she left her native state. It grew
into a mammoth tree and shaded her children and granil-
children as they grew up and stands today as a monu-
ment to the foresight of the young giil who planted it
a hundred years ago. John W. Kendall shared in the
sentiments of the southern people upon the issues of
the Eebellion, and two of his sons were Confederate
soldiers, while he himself held some position with the
government in aid of its commissary department. He
married Miss Margaret Lucrecia Gray, for whose family
Graysville was later named, the Grays being one of the
first families to plant itself in the wilds of Kentucky.
They were related to other families of prominence in the
state, among them the Edwards, the Larrys and the
Todds, and they belonged to the agricultural slave-
holding class. In the family of John W. and Margaret
(Gray) Kendall were the following children: Ben E.



1718



TEXAS AND TEXANS



Kendall, who always lived on the old homestead and
there is passing his life; William W., who moved to
Waco, Texas, in its pioneer days and there passed his
life, dying at the age of fifty-five years; Colonel Robert
B., of EUston, Kentucky, the birthplace of the father;
Eev. John G., the father of the immediate subject of
this review, and Lucy Elizabeth, the widow of Judge J.
W. Dawson, of Elkton, Kentucky.

Eev. John G. Kendall married at Verona, Mississippi,
in 1873, Miss Mattie Bell, a daughter of David Bell, and
the children of their union were : Eev. William B. ; Ben.
Kendall, a lawyer of Waco, Texas; Miss Margaret, who
teaches music in Baylor University at Waco, and Mrs.
B. B. McEeynolds, of Waco.

William B. Kendall's childhood days were passed near
Hopkinsville, Kentucky, and there he attended the
county schools. From the public schools he entered
Bethel College, Eussellville, Kentucky, and equipped
himself for teaching, at which work he continued for
a brief time. He came to Texas when he was twenty
years old and did his first pedagogic work in this state
in the schools of McGregor. After two years he returned
to Kentucky and entered the Southern Baptist Theo-
logical Seminary at Louisville. Taking up the work of
the ministry his first charge was at Tyler, where he
was pastor of the Baptist church. During the two years
of his stay there he was ever active and up and doing,
and he emphasized his strenuous labors by the building
of an addition to the church, a characteristic that he
has displayed throughout his ministerial career. He
then went to Terrell as pastor of the First church, re-
maining for six years, and during that time he was in-
strumental in bringing about the building of a splendid
brick structure for the Baptists of that place. He came
to Paris in 1907 and here has been performing the most
effective labor in behalf of the congregation, adding
materially to the standing of the church by the erection
of a fine new parsonage, reared at a cost of $5,000 and
for the past fifteen years has been actively interested
in ministerial work. Eev. Kendall was president of the
Baptist Young People's Convention of Texas for five
years and brought to bear an enthusiasm and zeal in
the work of the society that was resultant in much good
to the organization throughout the state. The further-
ance of the cause in which he labors is the supreme in-
terest of his life, and he has given liberally of his
surplus and his earnings in the aid of the church aside
from his own immediate charge in Paris. He has no
fraternal relations, is a member of no clubs or social
organizations, his membership in the Baptist church
demanding his every energy, to the exclusion of all
lesser interests.

On January 4, 1899, Mr. Kendall was married in
Hopkinsville, Kentucky, to Miss Florence Eives, the
daughter of B. F. and Virginia (Pollard) Rives, the
father a well known planter of that region. Mrs. Eives
was a native of Virginia and the mother of four children.
The children of Eev. and Mrs. Kendall are three in num-
ber. Eobert Eives, the first born, died in infancy, while
Ben Gray and William W. Kendall survive.

A. H. Gee. Few bankers of North Texas have been
so long in the executive duties of their positions and
have a more interesting career of progressive rise from
lowly beginnings to commercial prestige and power than
A. H. Gee, president of Pilot Point National Bank.

Born December 25, 1849, in Huntington, Carroll
county, Tennessee, the youngest in a family of fourteen
children of J. H. and "Ann 'W. (Hamkin) Gee, A. H.
Gee is of Scotch-Irish stock, and of a family which has
lived in Texas for fifty-five years. His father came
from Virginia and his mother was a native of Maryland.
The father located in West Tennessee when a young man,
wa^ a 'iiiivpyor by profession, served as one of the early
louiity ilirks of his locality, and was so long honored by
his fellow citizens that his term as county clerk continued



for nearly thirty years. Early in his youth he was a
member of General Jackson's staff in the war of 1812,
and was present at the battle of New Orleans concluding
that second struggle between the United States and
Great Britain. Subsequently he furnished six sons for
service in the Confederate army. The father moved
to Texas in 1859, locating at Greenville, and thereafter
lived retired. His death occurred about 1883 when at
the good age of eighty-six years, and his wife passed
away in the same year, but seventy-five years of age.
Of their fourteen children there were ten sons and
four daughters, and five are now living. Besides the
Pilot Point banker, J. M. Gee and E. B. Gee live retired
in Greenville; Mrs. I. N. Harrison, a widow, lives in
Oklahoma City; and Mrs. Maggie G. Scott, wife of W.
M. Scott, who is in the ginning business at Sherman.

A. H. Gee had a limited education in private schools
at Greenville, Texas, being about ten years of age when
the family came to this state. His opportunities as a
youth were somewhat limited, but he is the type of man
who succeeds in spite of handicaps and limitations.
When sixteen years of age he was a clerk in a store, and
at the age of twenty-one moved to Jefferson and found
employment in the wholesale store of Wright & Clark.
Early in 1872 Mr. Gee identified himself with the little
locality of Pilot Point, and set up a dry goods store, which
was continued with substantial results for twelve years.
On January 1, 1884, Mr. Gee became one of the interested
principals in the Pilot Point Bank, and served as its
cashier until July, 1892. At the latter date the bank
took, out a national charter, and since that time Mr.
Gee has been president. The vice-president is A. P.
Crasgrove; the cashier is J. A. L. McFarland. One
special distinction of this bank is that since it took out
a national charter more than twenty years ago there
has not been a single change in its official managment,
and there is perhaps no other national bank in Texas
which has a similar record.

Politically Mr. Gee is a Democrat, voting and working
for the good of his community and the welfare of his
state. Fraternally his affiliations are with the Inde-
pendent Order of Odd Fellows, the Knights of Pythias,
the Knights and Ladies of Honor, the Knights of the
Maccabees, and he belongs to the Pilot Point Commer-
cial Club.

On March 28, 1872, at Pilot Point, Mr. Gee married
Miss Nettie Harrison, a daughter of W. B. Harrison, a
merchant and prominent business man of that section
for a number of year's, but now deceased. Of the seven
children born to Mr. and Mrs. Gee, three are now living,
two sons and a daughter, as follows: H. W. Gee, viith
the Southwestern Surety Insurance Company at Denni-
son, and assistant treasurer of that corporation; W. L.
Gee with the International Fire Insurance Company at
Fort Worth; and Mrs. Vera Hellings, wife of J. M.
Hellings, assistant cashier of the Interstate National
Bank of Kansas City, Missouri. Mr. Gee by more than
forty years' residence in Pilot Point is one of the veteran
business men, and through his own substantial activities
and influence has contributed in numerous ways to the
advancement and solid welfare of the community.

Harvin Cooper Moore, M. D. A member of the
medical profession of Houston since 1902, Dr. Harvin
Cooper Moore has attained high distinction in the ranks
of his calling as a specialist in skin and genitourinary
diseases. A true son of the Southwest and a descendant
of distinguished Texans, he has passed his entire career
within the confines of the Lone Star State, where the
family has been widely and favorably known in various
lines of endeavor for" more than half a century. Dr.
Moore was born at Crockett, Houston county, Texas,
March 19, 1875, and is a son of Harvin W. and Georgia
(Cooper) Moore. His father, a native of Alabama,
came to Texas about 1860 and located at Crockett, where
he entered upon the practice of law. Shortly after the




^ ^. ^. ^



TEXAS AND TEXANS



1719



close of the war between the North and the South, he
was appointed district attorney of Houston county, a
position he continued to hold for a number of years.
His death occurred in February, 1912, when his com-
munity lost one of its best citizens and ablest attorneys.
Harvin W. Moore married Miss Georgia Cooper, who
was born in Georgia, a daughter of Leroy W. Cooper,
who brought his family to Texas about 1855 and here
became prominent in politics. He was a member of the
Eepublican national committee, and, although a resident
of a district which had a strong Democratic plurality,
was repeatedly sent to the State Senate. Mrs. Moore
still survives her husband and makes her home at
Crockett.

Harvin Cooper Moore secured his early education in
the public schools of Crockett, this being supplemented
by attendance at the Southwestern University, where he
was graduated in 1895, with the degree of Master of
Arts. He then entered upon the study of medicine and,
after some preparation, became a student in the medical
department of Tulane University. On receiving his
degree and diploma from that noted institution, in 1898,
he began practice at Hallettsville, Lavaca county, Texas,
where he continued four years, and in 1902 came to
Houston and began a general practice. In 1906 the
Doctor spent some time in post-graduate work in New
York and Chicago, and since his return has specialized
in skin and genito-urinary diseases, along which line he
has won recognition and distinction. In this connection
he is dermatologist and urologist to the Baptist Sani-
tarium of Houston, and is also lecturer on skin diseases



Online LibraryFrancis White JohnsonA history of Texas and Texans (Volume 4) → online text (page 40 of 177)