Francis White Johnson.

A history of Texas and Texans (Volume 4) online

. (page 41 of 177)
Online LibraryFrancis White JohnsonA history of Texas and Texans (Volume 4) → online text (page 41 of 177)
Font size
QR-code for this ebook


to the Nurses' Training School. In 1912 he was presi-
dent of the Harris County Medical Society, and still
holds membership therein, as he does in the South Texas
Medical Association, the Texas State Medical Associa-
tion, the Southwestern Medical Association, the South-
ern Medical Society and the American Medical Associa-
tion. He is also connected with the Alpha Kappa Kappa
medical fraternity and the Knights of Pythias. He main-
tains well-appointed ofBees at No. 912 Union National
Bank Building.

On December 23, 1902, Dr. Moore was married to
Miss Mabel Peters, daughter of Walter H. and Eliza-
beth Peters, of Beeville, Texas. To this union there has
been born one son: Harvin Cooper, Jr. The modern
family home is located at No. 1314 Fairview avenue.

James Harvet Eobektson. Until his death on March
2, 1912, one of the most eminent attorneys of Texas
was the late James H. Eobertson. For upwards of forty
years he practiced law in this state, and long occu-
pied a large sphere of usefulness and honor. In the
Texas bar few men were better known or more highly
appreciated for their services.

The Eobertson family of which he was a rerpesenta-
tive held a particularly distinguished position in Ten-
nessee history, in which state they were pioneers, among
the founders of the Commonwealth. It was in the state
of Tennessee that the late James H. Eobertson was
born, and came from there to Texas during the seventies.
He started practice with his brother John W. Eobertson
of Austin, who had gained the rank of Colonel in the
Confederate army and was one of Austin 's prominent
lawyers and one of the city's early mayors. James H.
Eobertson after a brief practice at Austin moved to
Eoimd Eock, where he opened an oflSce for the general
practice at law. Early in the eighties he moved to
Austin, and soon gained a. prominent position in the
law. He was elected District Attorney and Governor
Hogg then appointed him Judge of the District court.
After several years on the bench he resigned and went
into partnership with former Governor Hngg, and their
firm was one of the strongest in the capital city until
it was dissolved about 1902. Mr. Eobertson then con-
tinued in practice alone until his death on March 2, 1912.

The late Mr. Eobertson handled a great many import-



ant cases in the courts, and among other interests in-
trusted to his charge was the management of the famous
ease in defense of H. Clay Pierce. He served as a
member of the Thirtieth, Thirty-first and Thirty-second
legislatures, and his name will continue to be long asso-
ciated with important legislation of Texas during his
membership in the legislature. He was the author of
the Eobertson Insurance Law, which required all life
insurance companies doing business in Texas to invest
in this state seventy-five per cent of the reserve set
aside for the payment of policies of insurance written
in Texas. That was one of the pioneer laws of its time
in the United States, and has been considered one of
the most beneficent acts of legislation passed within
recent years for the safeguarding of Texas resources.
He was also author of the Anti-Lobby Bill. The late
Judge Eobertson married Miss Susie Marsh Townsend,
who was born in Austin. They became the parents of
six children, four of whom are now living, namely:
John B. Eobertson ; Warren T., now retired from the
practice of law; Mrs. Zeno C. Eoss, of Fort Worth,
Texas; and Margaret Eobertson. Judge Eobertson was
a member of the Methodist Episcopal Church, South.

John B. Eobertson, son of the late Judge Eobertson,
and a successful young attorney with offices in the Little-
field building at Austin, was Ijorn in that city July 14,
1882. He was educated in the public schools of the
city, and in 1906 received his degree of LL. B. from
the University of Texas. He at once took up practice,
and has done much to win a distinctive place in the
profession. He married Miss Julia M. Young, of Austin,
Texas, and resides at 1500 West Sixth street.

Benjamin F. Eotjntree. Another of the native citi-
zens of this community who has fallen into line with the
recent developments in the peach industry in this dis-
trict is Benjamin F. Eountree, today one of the big
producers in Franklin county of the famous Elberta
peach. Thirty-five acres of one-time cotton land today
represents his interest in growing fruit, and the success
that was denied him while he directed his endeavors to
other departments of agriculture has been his abundantly
in recent years.

Benjamin F. Rountree was born near Mount Vernon,
on May 1, 1866, and is a son of Wiley B. Eountree, con-
cerning whom further mention is made elsewhere in this
historical and biographical work, so that further ex-
pression concerning the parentage of Mr. Eountree is not
an essential feature of this sketch. In the country
schools of Mount Vernon and vicinity Mr. Eountree re-
ceived his early training in book lore, and he grew to
manhood in close acquaintance with the duties of farm
life, to which station he had been born. Upon reaching
manhood, he felt an inclination to travel about some be-
fore he settled down definitely, and he spent a few sea-
sons in rambling here and there, getting his bearings
and learning something about the country. In Jefferson
County, Arkansas, for two seasons he was employed as
a clerk in a country store, and later was occupied as
station agent at Linwood on the Iron Mountain Eailway.
With his return to Mount Vernon, he turned his attention
to the farm again, continuing there until the autumn of
1891, when he went to Wise county, Texas, then on to
Abilene, and finally to Jones county, Texas, in the latter
place spending several months in the employ of his
uncle, engaged in the prosaic task of grubbing mesquite.
Here he eventually engaged in farming for himself and
for five years he remained in that locality. It was while
there that he married, and the serious business of his
life actually began, his career as a home builder seeing
its inception at that time.

Conditions then in West Texas, were, as now, unsuited
to satisfactory general farming, and Mr. Eountree soon
brought his family back to Franklin county and located
at Purley, where his efforts were given to common farm-



1720



TEXAS AND TEXANS



ing until the fall of 1902, when he purchased a small
place adjoining Mount \'einon and known as the Ruther-
ford Parm. He entered with a right good will into the
work of rejuvenating the old place and converting it
into a live proposition as a fruit farm, planting a small
orchard of Elberta jjeach trees, a crop that was then
being exploited in Franklin county, and which gave
promise of being a highly successful experiment. Mr.
Eountree was among the first to test out the new idea,
and he nursed his orchard anxiously but hopefully
through the years of cultivation, pruning and worming,
until a commercial orchard stood at his hand, ready and
willing to bear luxuriantly each season. Encouraged by
his experience, Mr. Bountree began adding to his orchard,
until today he has thirty-five acres in bearing, and is
continually adding to his operations m the peach in-
dustry.

On July 3, 1892, Mr. Eountree married Miss DoUie
Long, a daughter of the pioneer James Long, who came
to Texas from McNairy county, Tennessee, in 1845,
and starting his career with the birth of the new com-
monwealth. Mr. Long was born in 1S2U, and was a
man with a fair education, who devoted his life to the
farming industry. He settled in the Purley locality, then
a part of Titus county, and during the Rebellion served
as a soldier in Walker 's Division of Confederate Troops,
in Colonel Waterhouse 's regiment. He was a comrade of
Wiley B. Eountree, the father of the subject, and with
that honored veteran, participated in many activities
of the Civil war. James Long was a son of Ned Long
and his wife, Mary (O'Neal) Long, both having numer-
ous relatives in and about Henderson, Tennessee. The
issue of Ned Long and his wife were James; Polly, the
wife of Eobert Junell, who died in Hopkins county,
Texas; William, killed in an accident in Hunt county,
Texas, leaving a family; Dorcas married Dr. A. M. Wom-
mack, and died in Erath county, Texas, and Eobert
passed away unmarried. The father died in Wood
county, Texas, at an advanced age, as did also the
mother.

James Long married in young manhood, and his death
occurred in 1901, his wife having preceded him some
years before. He was a member of the Primitive Bap-
tist church and a stanch Democrat all his life. Their
children were as follows : Sarah, who died unmarried ;
Jennie married J. D. Templetou and died in Franklin
county; Warren passed away here in 1913, leaving a
family; Eobert lives at Commerce, Texas, and Silas at
Purley; Thomas was killed in Franklin county; Dollie
married Mr. Eountree; Lula is the wife of J. J. Nance
and lives in Cleburne, Texas; and Parker is a resident
of Franklin county, Texas.

Mrs. Eountree was educated in the country schools, in
the schools of Mount Vernon and in the State Normal at
Huntsville, graduating there in 1886. She became a
teacher in the common schools before graduation and
followed it subsequently for a few years. She gave up
the work with her marriage, and thereafter devoted her-
self to the care of her home and growing family, care-
fully watching over their progress in an educational way,
but in 1912 she was again induced to take up graded
work in the Mount Vernon schools, and has thus once
more identified herself with educational work of the
community, in which she has gained a splendid popularity
and proven most unmistakably her fitness for that phase
of work. Mr. and Mrs. Eountree have three children.
Mary is a graduate of the Mount Vernon high school
class of 1911. She has taught in the public schools
since then, and is now adding to her musical training
in preparation -for the work of instructor in that branch,
to which she has given a deal of attention all her life.
Lucile completed her high school course in 1912, took a
diploma in music, and is well equipped for service in
that work. Linnie Scott is still attending high school.
The family are members of the Christian church, and
Mr. Eountree has fraternal relations with the Woodmen



of the World and the Southern Woodmen. He is a
Democrat, stanch and firm in his political convictions,
but has never offered himself for office.

Cybus B. Lucas. There are few citizens of South-
west Texas with so many important relations with the
commercial and other substantial interests as Cyrus B.
Lucas. Berclair in Goliad county owes more to Mr.
Lucas' town-building and business enterprise than to
any other one citizen. In recent years Mr. Lucaa
has also maintained a residence at San Antonio, where
he is also known as one of the men of large means and
high financial connections.

The basis of his prosperity was laid in the cattle in-
dustry, and among Texas stockmen he is one of the most
prominent. For a number of years he was a member of
the executive committee of the Texas Cattle Eaising
Association.

He has several good cattle ranches in this part
of the State: Fair Oaks Eanch, near Berclair, lies
about half in Goliad and half in Bee County and con-
sists of between fifty-eight and sixty thousand acres;
Buena Vista Eanch which embraces seventeen thousand
acres of land in Live Oak County and fronts the Nueces
river for several miles, and the St. Charles Eanch which
contains about fifty-six thousand acres of laud in Aran-
sas County and Eefugio County. He runs ten to twelve
thousand head of Hereford cattle on these ranches and
his cattle usually bring the top price in the market.

While a veteran cattleman, Mr. Lucas has followed
the modern trend in that business, and through his in-
dividual enterprise has done a great deal for the develop-
ment of agriculture in Southern Texas. His farm, which
comprises a portion of the Fair Oaks Eanch, consists of
four thousand acres, and adjoins the limits of the town
of Berclair. His main crop is cotton, although corn and
other staples of that locality receive attention. The
farm is regarded as one of the model places in Goliad
county, and represents a great deal of money invested
by Mr. Lucas and is one of the most profitable enter-
prises. In its operation are employed the very best
practices of modern agricultural science, and Mr. Lucas
is one of the men who understand how to make farming
pay.

And although Mr. Lucas is not the original founder
of the town of Berclair, he is now at the head of its
leading institutions. He built and owns the finest cotton
gin in South Texas, operated under the name of the Ber-
clair Gin Company. The Berclair State Bank was also
organized principally with his capital, and he is its
president. He also established an<i is president of the
Berclair Mercantile Company, the largest store of the
town. In various other directions his influence has been
instrumental in laying the foundation of a thriving com-
munity. Berclair is in Goliad county, close to the line
of Bee county. Mr. Lucas is First Vice President of the
Commercial National Bank of Beeville and also a di-
rector of the State Bank & Trust Company of San An-
tonio, and has various other interests in that city.

Though practically a lifelong resident of Texas, Cyrus
B. Lucas is of Canadian birth, and of Irish and English
parentage. He was born November 14th, 18.56, at Strat-
ford. Ontario. Canada, and his parents Eiehard M. and
Louisa CWinter) Lucas, were both of English descent.
His mother was born and reared in London, England.
His father was born in Dublin, Ireland, and is a descend-
ant of the Mount Lucas branch of the several members
of the Lucas family who emigrated to Ireland from
England in the early part of the 17th Century. His
parents were married in London, and soon after their
marriage they emigrated to America, settled in Western
Ontario, and during the decade of the fifties came to the
Southwest, locating in Goliad, Texas, and spent the rest
of their lives in this state.

Mr. Lucas grew up in Goliad county, and his father's
ranch, with which his boyhood associations are indent!-



I



TEXAS AND TEXANS



1721



fied, was located on Blanco Creek, five miles below the
present town of Berclair. For a man whose youth was
spent in the sixties and seventies, Mr. Lucas had more
than ordinary schooling, and for his early education is
principally indebted to Concrete College in DeWitt
county, which at that time was under the direction of
Professor John V. E. Covey, one of the most noted edu-
cators of his day in the state.

Although the Lucas family consider Berclair their real
home, their fine residence on Lexington avenue in San
Antonio is where they spend much of their time. Be-
fore her marriage Mrs. Lucas was Miss Lizzie Scott, who
was born and reared in Goliad county, and is related to
some of the most prominent pioneer families in that sec-
tion of the state. Her parents were J. J. and Ruth
(Greenwood) Scott. The grandfather, Koah Scott, a
native of Virginia, was a member of Austin 's original
colony, settling in Texas when it was a province of Mex-
ico, and his children were born in the Texas Eepublic.
The first settlement of the Scotts was near Bellville in
Austin county, but they subsequently became early set-
tlers in DeWitt county, still later moved to Bee county,
and after his marriage J. J. Scott located in Goliad
county. On her father 's mother 's side Mrs. Lucas is a
great-granddaughter of Thomas York, a Virginian, who
was one of the first settlers in DeWitt county and was
the founder of Yorktown in that county. The Green-
woods were also early settlers of the state, first locating
at old Nacogdoches in the days of the Texas Eepublic.
Mrs. Lucas received most of her education in Professor
A. A. Brook's Academy in Goliad, a high-class educa-
tional institution which prepared many Tesans for
worthy lives. Mr. and Mrs. Lucas are the parents of
two children : Eichard Pryor Lucas and Miss Lena Claire
Lucas.

Bruce C. Wallace, M. D., who has been practicing
medicine at LaEue, Texas, since 1892, is the senior phy-
sician of the southern end of Henderson county. He was
reared in the Bethel community of Anderson county,
where his parents made their permanent settlement on
coming to Texas in 1870. His father, Col. George P.
Wallace, died as tax collector of Anderson county in
1887, and is buried in the Bethel Cemetery. He was
born in Perry county, Alabama, in 1829, and was ten
years of age when he went to Mississippi while his
father, Jones Wallace, who was a slaver and planter
along the line of the Yokahockany river, at Kosciusko,
Attala county, and died there in 1851, when aged about
fifty years. Jones Wallace was an Alabaman of Scotch
ancestry, and married a Miss Pierson, who passed away-
about the time that he died, their children being: Wil-
liam J., who was a Confederate soldier of General Lee's
army, came to Texas with Colonel Wallace, spent his
life as a farmer, and died at LaEue, leaving no family;
Martha, who died in Mississippi as the wife of Willis
Wingo; Mary, who married William McMillen, and died
in Texas; Col. George P.. Virgil H., who was a Confed-
erate soldier and spent his life in Attala county, Mis-
sissippi ; Samuel, who was killed in battle as a Con-
federate soldier during the Civil War; John, who died in
the same service; and Emily, who married 0. T.
Stephens, and died in Mississippi. William J. Wallace
was lieutenant in his companv, and belonged to Gen.
A. P. Hill 's Corps.

Col. George P. Wallace was educated in the country
school and was using slave labor as a planter when
the Civil War broke across the country in all its fury.
In 1862 he enlisted for service in the Confederate army,
and was commissioned Lieut. Col. of the Fortieth Mis-
sissippi Infantry, his regiment being added' to the army
under General Pemberton, about Vicksburg. He took
part in the engagements preliminary to the siege and
was paroled at the surrender of that city to General
Grant. Immediately after the surrender he was pro-
Tnoted to the rank of Colonel and took his regiment to
Vol itβ€” 9



Johnston 's army and participated in the defense of
Atlanta and in the 100 days of fighting of the Atlanta
campaign. At the battle "of Peach Tree Creek he lost
his left arm, and after spending some weeks in the hos-
pital was taken by the wife of Capt. Henry Lamar to
her home and cared for until sufficiently recovered to
return to his home. Colonel Wallace was practically a
bankrupt when peace was declared in 1865. He felt
the financial ruin of the family keenly and decided
upon taking up his residence in a new country to begin
life over. Aceordingh", he made the trip to Texas by
rail and water and purchased what land his finances
would permit, combining the industry of his body and
mind and the virtue of his citizenship to the Bethel
neighborhood. His farm of several hundred acres was
worked with free black labor, to which condition he
seemed to adapt himself readily. He proved his sym-
pathy for the ex-slave by providing him with the neces-
sities of life from his plantation commissary, and requir-
ing the negro to repay him in labor whenever he should
need the work. At such a time he would ride about the
neighborhood after supper, summoning help, and the next
morning his yard would be filled with "free negroes"
waiting for breakfast to start the day's business. He
was wont to carry a hoe while overseeing the ' ' hoe
hands" and cut an occasional weed as a sort of accom-
paniment to the darky hoe. It was but natural that Col.
Wallace should become active in politics. Having com-
manded men in time of strife, he could be trusted to
do so in times of peace. He was a Democrat, and was
his party's candidate for tax collector of Anderson
county in ISSO, and was elected to that office, following
which he moved to Palestine with his family, just hav-
ing gotten nicely started with his duties when he was
stricken by death. Colonel Wallace was a Eoyal Arch
Mason, and ever took an active interest in the work of
that fraternal order, while his religious connection was
with the Methodist church. In 1849, Colonel Wallace
was married to Mi&s Mary A. Hodge, a daughter of Eev.
Eobert H. Hodge, whose career is mentioned fully on
another page of this work. Mrs. Wallace died March
21, 1906, having been the mother of the following chil-
dren : Eugene, who died in Mississippi at the age of
nineteen years; Eobert J., a resident of Palestine,
Texas; Ella, who died when a young girl; Laura B.,
who married H. E. Nash, and died in LaEue, Texas;
Isa il., who died unmarried; Eoena, who also died
siiiL'l- : iMoi- ;i, who married S. L. Love, and died in
Olil;ilioii!,'i ; l,.'l:i l;., wlio died in Anderson county, Texas,
as .Mis. 1'. s. -Iwrksou; Bettv V., who died at the age of
sixteen VLais; and Bruce C, of this review.

Bruce C. Wallace was born October 17, 1868, and
secured his early educational advantages in the public
schools. He assisted his mother in the work of the
home farm at Bethel, Anderson county, until the age of
twenty-one years, when he entered the I. & G. N. Eail-
way Hospital, at Palestine, Texas, to receive his first
lessons in his student work for the medical profession.
He acted as a prescriptionist and student there for one
year, following which he entered Tulane University, New
Orleans, in October. 1890, and one year later passed the
examination for the certificate of practice. Locating at
Emhouse. Navarro county, Texas, he continued there
until 1892, and then came to LaEue and completed his
course in medicine, at the Kentucky School of Medicine,
graduating in 1893. In 1900 Doctor Wallace took a
post-graduate course in the New Orleans Polyclinic, and
has never ceased to be a close and careful student of his
calling. He affiliates with the Henderson County Med-
ical Society and the Texas State Medical Society, is
widely and favorably known among his professional
brethren, and through his success in a number of com-
plicated cases has won the full confidence of the people
of his adopted place. In the domain of agriculture, he
has been responsible for bringing under cultivation some
of the producing lands adjacent to LaEue. His home



1722



TEXAS AND TEXANS



is of his own building and is a splendid example of the
architect 's art of rural home, a roomy, one-story frame
structure, with ample galleries, standing upon high
ground almost at the doors of the corporation. Its white
exterior can be seen for miles. Doctor Wallace is vice-
president of the state bank of LaEue, is a Methodist
in his religious belief, and aflUiates with that church.
He, like his father, is a Eoyal Arch Mason.

In February, 1896, Doctor Wallace was married to
Miss Linna Campbell, daughter of Dr. S. E. CampbeU,
who settled at Fincastle, Henderson county, and prac-
ticed medicine for forty years. Two children have been
born to Dr. and Mrs. Wallace, Bruce C, Jr., and Linna
Laura.

Thomas Volnet Munson. The great majority of
men are honored for their ability to confer benefits β€” for
the wealth, or influence, or power that they control. The
late Thomas Volney Munson was a man who was rev-
erenced and beloved, not for what he had, but for what
he was. Probably no man ever lived in Texas whose
character attracted greater admiration, or whose re-
moval caused more general regret than did his, and the
memory of his pure life, of his gracious presence and
kindly deeds lingers like a sweet fragrance in the air.
In the science of horticulture his name vrill live for gen-
erations, for his contributions thereto were invaluable.
He loved Nature, her trees, fields, fruits and flowers,
and knew them well; and he loved his kind and was
lavish in his benefactions to those, who, helpless, ap-
pealed to his sympathy. When he passed away, Janu-
ary 21, 1913, at his home in Denison, thousands
mourned β€” not alone those who knew him personally,
but those whom his life had impressed as a teaching.

Thomas Volney Munson was born on a farm near As-
toria, Fulton county, Illinois, September 26, 1843, and
was a son of William and Maria (Linley) Munson, the
former a native of New Hampshire and the latter of
Kentucky. Reared a farmer's son, he obtained his
early education in the district schools, later went to the
academy at Lewiston, subsequently took a course at the
Brvant and Stratton Business College, and in order to
make his way through the University of Kentucky
boarded himself with his brother, the two doing their
own cooking and practicing numerous small economies.



Online LibraryFrancis White JohnsonA history of Texas and Texans (Volume 4) → online text (page 41 of 177)