Francis White Johnson.

A history of Texas and Texans (Volume 4) online

. (page 43 of 177)
Online LibraryFrancis White JohnsonA history of Texas and Texans (Volume 4) → online text (page 43 of 177)
Font size
QR-code for this ebook


the world. Horace G. Johnston has been n rosiflcnt of
Texas since 1891. In that year he went to Marlin to
drill the deep well for artesian water whicli uncovered
the hot-water area of that section, and which has
brought fame to Marlin as a bathing resort. When the
company's work was finished at Marlin, Mr. Johnston
moved his tools to Corsicana, and drilled the deep well
at the State Orphans' Home, and later a well for the
city. It was at that time that signs of oil were discovered
that led to the company 's prospecting for oil, and soon
afterwards oil was discovered in paying quantities, re-
sulting in the opening u]i of the great Corsicana oil and
gas fields. In the work nf .livi'lnpnicnt about Corsicana,
the American Well ntid l'n.s|iri i mrr Company took not'
only the leading part, Iml lor a imniber of years has been
a very important factor. It has sent its drills into the
oil sands at various points in the territory about Corsi-
cana, and its operations are still extensive in that vi-
cinity.



The American Well & Prospecting Company, of which
Mr. Johnston is president and manager, was organized
in Kansas in 1886 at which time Mr. Johnston associated
himself with Mr. Akin and others, aU of whom are yet
members of the firm. As a result of their oil discoveries
near Corsicana, the company decided to establish a
plant in Corsicana for the manufacturing of deep-well
tools, supplies, and other paraphernalia used in oil well
operation. In 1896 the company opened a small factory
employing a half dozen men, and with the gradual in-
crease of successive years, this factory is now one of
the largest local industries, with one hundred men on its
payroll, and with a shop and storage house in Bartles-
ville, Oklahoma, another at Los Angeles, and one at
Houston, Texas. They also maintain an agency at Lon-
don, England, one at Baku, Russia, and their goods go
abroad to every territory where oil has been found, to
Japan, Russia, the Balkan country, to South America,
to Mexico, and elsewhere. The annual business of the
firm is about six hundred thousand dollars a year.

Mr. Johnston got into the drilling business without
premeditation in Kansas in 1886. He was in central
Kansas when the salt beds were discovered there, and
soon afterwards became one of the organizers of the
American Well and Prospecting Company, which drilled
at Hutchinson, Kingman, Ellsworth, Lyons and Little
River, their developments covering a period of five years,
and including the gas fields about Paoli and Cherryvale.

Mr. Johnston had prepared for his profession as an
engineer in the Greensburg Seminary in Ohio, and while
in his native state he assisted in the building of a road
from Canton to Beech City. He went to Kansas in 1882
as a civil engineer to do railroad construction work,
and had charge of construction for a part of the Mis-
souri Pacific System from Salina west. While he was
connected with that work, twenty miles of track were
built in sixty days, and that was considered one of the
■remarkable feats of railway construction in that early
time.

Horace G. Johnston w'as born near Akron, Summit
county, Ohio, April 15, 1851. His early years were spent
on a farm. His father, Alexander Johnston, settled in
Summit county in 1814, when a boy of six years, the
grandparents having immigrated from Center county,
Pennsylvania, becoming among the first to locate in that
section of Western Reserve of Ohio. Alexander John-
ston belonged to a family of colonial settlers in Penn-
sylvania, and the first ancestors came from the north of
Ireland. Alexander Johnston was educated much better
than the average young men of his time, and became a
pioneer teacher in Summit county. Among his pupils was
the father of Mrs. Thomas A. Edison. After some years
of teaching Alexander Johnston took up farming, and
early in life had an oflicial career. In politics he was
first a Whig, and was the first man elected to the office
of recorder of Summit county. Later he represented his
county in the lower branch of the legislature. For
many years he was a factor in politics in that part of
Ohio. His death occurred in 1896, after surviving his
wife some years. He married Lavinia Thursby, a
daughter of William Thursby, who had come to Ohio,
from Williamsport, Pennsylvania. The children of Alex-
ander Johnson and wife were: Horace G. ; Isaac N., of
Pasadena, California; and Miss Anna M., who occupies
the old homestead near Akron.

In Navarro county, Texas, in December, 1901, Horace
G. Johnston married Miss Genevieve Chancey, a daugh-
ter of Thomas Chancey of East Texas. The children of
Mr. and Mrs. Johnston are Anna Ellen, born in 1904;
Elliott Alexander, born in 1906; and Horace G., Jr. Mr.
Johnston has membership in the American Society of
Civil Engineers, and in politics is a Republican.

WiLLi.vM D. Hatnie. It was the fortune of the late
William D. Haynie to possess the power of accumulating
wealth and managing large resources with almost invari-



1726



TEXAS AND TEXANS



His genius in this sphere was accompanied
by corresponding attributes of public spirit and worthy
influence. During his lifetime he was recognized as a
philanthropist, but his widow by her benefactions has
enriched the usefulness of several important religious
and educational institutions of the state.

For many years the late William D. Haynie was a
prominent factor in the industrial and financial aifairs
of Navarro county, and died at his home in Bice, Octo-
ber 14, 1906. lie had come to this locality before the
building of the Houston & Texas Central Railway, and
from 1867 until his death was active in the affairs of the
community.

William D. Haynie was born in Tipton county, Ten-
nessee, April 29, 1837, and came to Texas as a pioneer
with his father, George Haynie, in 1847. The family
settled at Tehuacana Hills, where his father died about
1856. William D. Haynie became an active factor in
the management of the estate, and grew up on the fron-
tier, as a boy mingling with the Indians who came and
went and maintained friendly relations with the early
settlers. His hardy training and experiences gave him
a vigorous constitution and a zest for practical business
life. It was with little education except such as was
supplied by country schools and he subsequently profited
by observation and reading. He was still a young man
when the war between the states broke out. From 1860
to 1862 he had been a merchant with a small store at
the Cotton Gin, in partnership with Mr. Joseph Lynn.
In 1861 another store was opened at Chatfield, but Mr.
Haynie closed out when the call to arms became too
urgent to resist. On March 18, 1862, he joined a com-
pany in Colonel Bates' regiment, and himself took a
squad of thirty men to Galveston for' organization. He
was made a first lieutenant of his company, and after
considerable service around Velasco as a coast guard he
entered the commissary department and continued in
Louisiana and Texas until the end of the war.

His return to civil life found him without resources,
and like many others he established himself as a stock
man. Few of the old-time cattlemen in that section of
the state prospered so steadily as the late William D.
Haynie. He had a faculty of making everything he
touched prosper, and while enriching himself he did not
neglect his fellow men and his community. As the popu-
lation of the country multiplied and the demand for
farm land increased he foresaw the time when the open
range stock industry must move on, and prepared to get
out of the business. He sold his cattle to the Matador
Cattle Company, and turned his attention to the real
estate and loan business and to banking at Corsieana.
He aided in promoting the Corsieana National Bank and
was one of its ofiBcers at the time of his death. Asso-
ciated with others he organized the Corsieana Building
& Loan Association, a concern which went into voluntary
liquidation before his death. The late Mr. Haynie was
a man of extraordinary business sense and never in-
dulged in speculation, making investments where the se-
curity was unquestioned and accumulating an estate
regarded as princely by those who knew his history from
the close of the war.

Mr. Haynie was an ardent Democrat and his activity
extended to the attendance upon every state convention
after reconstruction days, though he never sought politi-
cal honors for himself. At the age of twenty-one he had
affiliated with the Masonic Order and kept in good
standing all his life. He was a firm Christian, and filled
some office in the Methodist Church South during most
of his mature life. Physically he was a man six feet
two inches high and weighed over two hundred pounds.
He was deliberate in his movements and in his speech,
and his personality was somewhat distinguished.

On February 7, 1860, at the country home of I. B.
Sessions, Mr. Haynie married Miss Viola E. Sessions.
Her father had come to Texas in 1S46 and to Navarro
county in 1847. Mrs. Haynie was born on the line of



Chickasaw and Choctaw counties in Mississippi, April
18, 1844, and as a child when she came to Texas grew
up within five mOes of the town of Rice. Her education
was finished in Dr. N. P. Modrell's school in Corsieana.
Her married life was devoted to her husband and to her
neighbors and religious afEairs. She and Mr. Haynie
never had any children, and they gave their time and
means to the welfare of others. Mrs. Haynie has been
one of the benefactors of higher education in Texas, and
contributed substantial amounts to various colleges from
time to time. Her chief interests centered in the South-
ern Methodist University of Dallas, to which she donated
twenty-five thousand dollars for the endowment of a
school of theology. She gave more than two-thirds of
the money for the building of the new Haynie Memorial
Methodist Church, South, of Rice, which was constructed
at a cost of twenty-two thousand dollars. The various
institutions to which she has contributed are the South-
western University of Georgetown, the Texas Women's
College of Fort Worth, the Old Preachers' Home at
Georgetown, now called the Haynie Home, the Virginia
Iv. Johnson Home for the Rescue of Delinquent Girls in
Dallas, and to the Corsieana Young Men's Christian As-
sociation_

Walter Owen Washington. The technical profes-
sions have grown in importance in proportion to the
development and complexity of modern industrialism,
and have consequently drawn into their ranks some of
the ablest young men now found in professional and
business affairs. It is as Civil Engineer that Walter
Owen Washington is best known; and during the past
ten years has been concerned with much important work,
at first chiefly in railway engineering, and latterly in
independent practice throughout Southwest Texas, with
main offices at San Antonio, with a definite reputation
as an irrigation engineer. Mr. Washington represents
one of the older families of Texas, and one which in
earlier generations contributed soldiers, planters, busi-
ness men and able citizens to the state.

Walter Owen Washington was born near Austin,
Texas, September 24, 1883, and his parents, Thomas
Pratt and Ella J. (Maxwell), are still living in that
city. His father was born in Travis county, of which
Austin is the county seat, in 1856. Grandfather Thomas
Pratt Washington, Sr., who was one of the pioneer
settlers of Travis county, locating there in the early
forties, was a colonel in the local militia during the
Mexican war. This Texas pioneer was a native of Vir-
ginia, and after a few years' residence in Alabama,
where he married, came to Texas. Colonel Thomas P.
Washington's grandfather was Henry Washington, a
brother of Colonel William Washington, who gained his
title during the Revolutionary war, and whose family in
a still earlier generation produced the ancestors from
which George Washington sprang. Ella J. Maxwell is
a daughter of the late Dr. A. C. Maxwell, of Abingdon, j
Virginia, who was a surgeon in charge of the Southwest
Department of Virginia in the Confederate army duriog
the war between the states. The old Washington plan-
tation, about twelve miles below Austin, is one of the
oldest homesteads in Travis county, and a place of much
local historic interest.

Mr. W. O. Washington began life with the distinct
advantage of a good family heritage and also with a
good liberal education. From the public schools of
Travis county he entered the University of Texas at
Austin, spent four years there, and was graduated with
the degree of Civil Engineer in the class of 1904. His
first experience was 'in general and railroad engineering
in both the United States and Mexico, and for some time
he was one of the aagineering staff with the Harriman
railroad lines in Old Mexico. In 1910 Mr. Washington
established an independent practice as engineer at San
Antonio, and is a member of the well-known firm of
Whiteaker & Washington, with offices in the Moore build-



TEXAS AND TEXANS



1727



ing. Their practice is of a general nature, and their
services have been largely employed and their reputation
is chiefly based upon their skill and success in Irriga-
tion and Highway Engineering works. As an indication
of Mr. Washington 's standing in his profession it should
be noted that he is an Associate Member of the American
Society of Civil Engineers. This honor is extended only
to those who have a recognized degree of proficiency in
the profession. He is a member of the National Geo-
graphic Society, is a York Bite Mason, a member of
Ben Hur Temple of A. A. 0. Nobles of the Mystic
■ Shrine and takes an active interest as member of several
other organizations, civic, professional, and religious.

In 1910 Mr. Washington married Miss Bernice Haskell
of Greenville, Texas. Mrs. Washington was also a stu-
dent of the University of Texas. Their children are
Elizabeth Emma, born December 5, 1911, and Walter
Owen, born January 24, 1914.

John Burrow Hatnie. One of the men whose talent
for finance and administrative business has been de-
veloped to unusual success is John Burrow Haynie of
Eice, who has been a factor in the business of that place
since 1875. After locating there he soon became inter-
ested in merchandising and other features of its busi-
ness affairs.

Mr. Haynie moved to Eice from a farm at Eureka in
Navarro county, where he had settled about the time
he reached manhood. He was a child of seven years
when he accompanied his father to Texas in 1847 and
settled at Tehuacana Hills. At that time Navarro county
was on the frontier, and Indians still roamed over its
hills and prairies. In that vicinity, as one of the pio-
neers, his father, George W. Haynie, did some farming
and was a stock raiser until he died about 1S56, past
fifty years of age. George W. Haynie was born in Tipton
county, Tennessee, had about the educational advantages
of the average pioneer, and brought his famUy to Texas
in wagons. With the rest of his equipment he brought
a few negroes, and during his brief stay in this state
was a man of industry. George W. Haynie married
Sidney Lynn, who died at Eureka when past sixty years
of age. Their children were: Lewis B., who was a
merchant and farmer and land man and died at Eice
leaving a family; William D., who died at Eice, an ex-
Confederate soldier, a farmer and stock man; Amanda,
who married Mr. Eobert Tyus and died at Pine Bluff,
Arkansas ; John B. ; and Mary Jane, widow of George
Mayo of Kerens.

John B. Haynie came to man 's estate with a fair
education and with an experience as a soldier in the
great war between the states. In March, 1862, he had
entered the Confederate army in Captain Melton 's Com-
pany of Bates' regiment, and was a guard along the
Gulf coast. Most of the time he and his men were sta-
tioned at Velasco, and was frequently shelled by the
enemy, and he saw more or less of the turmoil of war
until its end. His company disl>anded at Velasco, but
at the time Mr. Haynli< ^\,■ls :it Iinnie on detailed service.
After the war he took ii|. (i\il liiV as a modest farmer
and stock man. His [.iM^nrrit y Iins been won from a
starting point at zero, nml Imnl Hork was the factor that
counted most in his early life. He bought his first
land during the war at Eureka with Confederate money,
and continued to prosper in that vicinity until his re-
moval to Eice. About Eice he acquired a large amount
of land, and a great deal of this has been brought under
cultivation with crops of both grain and cotton. At the
present time his ownership extends to several valuable
farms in the Eice community. Altogether his efforts have
brought under cultivation about nine hundred acres, and
on his farms and in Eice he has erected twenty houses.
His agricultural interests give employment to about
twenty persons.

Farming has not been his sole vocation. Mr. Haynie
engaged in merchandising after coming to Eice, built



a cotton gin and operated it for several years, and fin-
ally disposed of these interests. About eight years ago
he engaged in banking, and is now president of the First
State Bank and was one of its active managers for some
time. He is also interested in the lumber business.

Mr. Haynie has not taken an active part in politics, is
a Democrat, and while originally he did not favor Wilson
is very much pleased with the president's success. A
member of no fraternity, he has his religious connec-
tions with the Cumberland Presbyterian church. On
November 14, 1861, Mr. Haynie married Miss Mary A.
.Jones, a daughter of J. C. Jones, a northern man who
came to Texas from Arkansas, was a farmer and exten-
sive stock man, and died at Eureka, where he had settled
(luring the decade of the forties. Mrs. Haynie was born
in Arkansas in August, 1843, and died February 15,
1914. Their children are: Mary Elizabeth, who married
E. S. Clark of Eice and has the following children:
Balfour; Mary B., wife of A. Y. Brown of Eice; Man-
ford; Euth, who married Mr. Cash; Cora; and John.
The second child of Mr. Haynie is Jodie, wife of Dr.
Hugh Sloan of Eice. The youngest child is Viola, wife
of John T. Fortson of Eice.

Mitchell S. Clayton. A native son of Navarro
county, Mr. Clayton has here served as county sheriff and
is now county statistician, with residence and ofScial
headquarters in the city of Corsicana. He has been
identified with the agricultural and stock industries of
the state. He is a scion of one of the sterling pioneer
families of Texas, has well upheld the honors of the
name which he bears and is entitled to specific recogni-
tion in this publication.

Mitchell Steele Clayton was born on a farm near the
village of Kerens, Navarro county, Texas, on the 18th
of September, 1854, and he is a son of Joseph A. and
Amanda (Poole) Clayton, both of whom were born in
Tennessee. Joseph A. Clayton first came to Texas in
1835, as a youth of seventeen years, and it was his to
live u\> to the full tension of I'ife on the frontier. He
soon became a member of General Sam Houston 's army,
organized for the purpose of gaining independence to
Texas, which became a republic as a result. As a private
soldier he took part in the historic battle of San .Tacinto,
and for his services as a soldier he was given a grant of
land, but when he made a permanent settlement it was
not on this land but in the vicinity of the old town of
Washington, about 1847. He did some service for the
United States in the Mexican war, and also did much
scouting in the early Indian service, besides working
effectively with surveying parties during the formative
period of statehood in Texas. He finally returned to
Tennessee, where he wedded Amanda Poole, an orphan
girl, and he then came again to Texas and located near
old Washington, where they resided until 1852. when
they settled near Kerens, Navarro county. Both died
at Chatfield, this county, in the year 1873, the father
passing away August 1, and the mother July 31. At
the outbreak of the Civil war Joseph A. Clayton en-
listed in the Confederate army in Texas. He was
reared in Marshall county, Tennessee, and received but
limited educational advantages in his youth. His alert
mentality enabled him to overcome this early handicap
and he became a man of broad information and mature
judgment. He was a close student of the Bible and
while not formally identified with any religious body
his faith was in accord with the tenets of the Baptist
church. He was both a Mason and an Odd Fellow and
he assisted in the organization of some of the early
lodges of these fraternities in Navarro county, including
the first of the latter order in the cninitv. the same
having been established at Chatfield. Of the children
the eldest was Ida C, who became the wife of .James
P. Fortson and who died at Eice. Navarro county; Mary
E., who became the wife of William H. Bachm'an, died
in Dallas county; Joseph H. and Hervey A. are still



1728



TEXAS AND TEXANS



residents of Navarro county; J. Roger is at Tamalipas,
Mexico, where lie is a farmer by vocation; Dixie B. is
the wife of James M. Bead and they likewise reside at
Tamalipas, Jlexieo; Jennie P. became the wife of Dr.
Edward Brown, and her death occurred at Merkel,
Texas; and Mitchell S., of this review, was the third in
order of birth.

Mitchell S. Clayton was reared to adult age at Chat-
field, Navarro county, where he availed himself of the
advantages of the country schools. His father was en-
gaged in the raising of sheep and horses and upon at-
taining to his legal majority Mitchell S. turned his
attention to the same line of industry, with which he
continued to be identified until 1SS7, the sheep business
until that time having been a profitable enterprise in
Texas. With the curtailment of the open range profits
naturally diminished, and Mr. Clayton found it expedi-
ent to curtail his stock of sheep to a small limit, finally
retiring entirely from the business. He passed a part
of his early manhood in the cattle country of western
Texas, where he remained from 1874 to 1S78 and where
he worked as a cowboy for representative cattle men of
Denton, Cooke, C4rayson and Clay counties. Upon his
return to Navarro county he engaged in the sheep busi-
ness, as already noted. Upon his retirement from this
field of industry he engaged in farming, upon a part of
the family estate, and he brought under effective culti-
vation 150 acres of land, besides making additions to
his estate, by the purchase of adjoining land, the im-
provements made by him having been of excellent order.
He remained on his farm until 1892, when he was
elected peace officer of Precinct No. 2 and established his
residence in the village of Chatfield, where he remained
until his election to the ofiice of sheriff, in 1908, when
he removed to Corsicana. the judicial center of the
county and his present place of abode. He served as
constable for ten years, during which time and for a
number of years thereafter he held also commission as
deputy sheriff of the county. He was elected county
sheriff in 1908 and re-elected in 1910, thus holding the
office four years. His administration was efficient and
acceptable and he retired from the shrievalty in Novem-
ber, 1912. A few months later he was appointed cotton
statistician for Navan'o county, a position in which he is
required by the government to keep an accurate record
of the number of cotton baled ginned in the county,
the amount of cotton consumed by the Corsicana cotton
factory, stocks of cotton retained in warehouses, amount
of seed crushed and statistics concerning production in
the various cotton-seed oil mills of his district, and other
incidental data, ten gin reports being made by him to
the census bureau in Washington between September and
March of each year.

Mr. Clayton is a staunch supporter of the principles
of the Democratic party, and he is atfiliated with the
Independent Order of Odd Fellows. He has a host of
friends in his native county and as a citizen he maintains
a liberal and public-spirited attitude.

In August, 1S8.5, Mr. Clayton wedded Miss Georgia
Pannill, daughter of Major Henry Pannill and Maggie
(Jones) Pannill, her father having come to Texas from
Virginia and having been an otficer of the Confederate
service in the Civil war. Mr. and Mrs. Clayton became
the parents of two children, — Maggie E., who is the
wife of Charles H. Highnote, of Corsicana. and Joseph
P., who died in 1912, at the age of seventeen years.

Everett Oscar Vaughan. A veteran railway man,
learning telegraphy in his native A''irginia and coming to



Online LibraryFrancis White JohnsonA history of Texas and Texans (Volume 4) → online text (page 43 of 177)