Francis White Johnson.

A history of Texas and Texans (Volume 4) online

. (page 45 of 177)
Online LibraryFrancis White JohnsonA history of Texas and Texans (Volume 4) → online text (page 45 of 177)
Font size
QR-code for this ebook


game was plentiful, turkey and deer abounded, and, as
he loved sport with the gun, he lived chiefly on wild game
while it lasted. He made money every year on that
place, and subsequently moved on the ridge where Mr.
Moore had lived, and spent two years there, then going
to ' ' high prairie ' ' and buying a home of 129 acres, with
a good house and barn — the best in the county at that
time. He paid eighteen dollars an acre for this land,
giving $1,000 down and notes for the balance, payable
in one and two years. At the end of the time his land
was paid for, and he owed no man, having found it no
trouble to make money where there was an earnest will
and domestic harmony. In the fall he piled up from
forty to eighty bales of cotton from that place, and found
himself becoming very independent, so purchased a tract
of fifty acres, at twenty-five dollars an acre, spot cash,
and in a few years purchased another fifty acres, adjoin-
ing, at forty -two and one-half dollars an acre.

At that time Mr. Gable had reached a point where
the education of his children became a matter of con-
cern, and, as the facilities in this locality were very
jioor, he moved to Dawson and purchased the E. B. Maish
residence for $1500 spot cash. He continued to farm ac-
tively and to add to his holdings, and prospered aU the
way along the road. Mr. Gable is a Democrat, but has
not bothered with politics and no secret order has
troubled him with its wiles. He has built several cot-
tages in Dawson, which contribute to his income. His
religious connection is with the Methodist church, which
he has supported generously.

Mr. Gable's children are as follows: George Warren
of Tahlequah, Oklahoma, president of the State Normal
School ; Oscar E., a teacher in Wesley College, Green-
ville, Texas; Ellis, superintendent of the schools of
Forney, Texas; Maud, the wife of Felix Davis, a farmer
near Dawson; May, the widow of Dr. FTank Smith of
Dawson ; Ethel, who married W. J. Eochelle of Corsicana,
Texas; Miss Tina, an English teacher in the Devine
(Texas) High School; James J. and Blanche, a junior
at Snntliwestern. Mr. Gable's achievements have been
many ami notable, yet what he considers the best work
of his life has been the education of his children, all
of whom have been well fitted for the places in life
which they have been called upon to fill, and all of
whom are proving themselves worthy of their education
and training. George Warren is a graduate of George-
town and Chicago Universities and began teaching in
the country. His graded school work was done at
Groesbeck, Frost and Kerens, in Texas, and at Duncan
and Checota, Oklahoma, where he was principal, fol-
lowing which he was appointed to his present high posi-
tion. Oscar is a graduate of Georgetown University, as
is Ellis. Maud was a teacher for eight years before her
marriage and received a thorough training. May was
well educated and was a teacher of elocution for several
years* Ethel was a teacher for five years prior to her
marriage. Miss Tina is a graduate of Georgetown Uni-
versity, .Tames J. is a student of the class of 1915
in a medical college at Oklahoma City and Miss Blanche
holds a state teacher's certificate.

George W. Eatlipt, chief clerk of the Eailway Mail
service. District No. 4, at Denison, Texas, has been



1732



TEXAS AND TEXANS



connected with the mail service for a cjuarttr of a cen-
tury and his rise to his present position of authority
has been steady and continued, a result of his ability,
his energy and his faithful performance of duty. A
native son of Texas, he was born in Washington county
November 30, 1867, and is a son of George W. and
Mary (McClellan) Eatliff, the former of English descent
and the latter of Scotch-Irish ancestry. There are
many of the name located in different parts of Texas,
whence a number of the family came at an early day,
and all have held honorable positions in life and main-
tained the high reputation of the family.

George W. Eatliff, Sr., was born in Mississippi, where
he grew to manhood with but few educational ar
vantages, although in his later years he remedied this
oversight by study and observation and is known as a
well-informed man on numerous subjects of importance.
In 1859 he migrated to Texas, locating in Hays county,
where he was residing at the time of the commence-
ment of hostilities between the Southern and Northern
states, and he immediately cast his fortunes with the
Confederacy, enlisting in a Texas volunteer regiment.
He served under Colonels Carter and Giddings at Bren-
ham, Texas, and was among those detailed on the scout-
ing line, subsequently participated in the raid through
Louisiana after General .Banks, took part in a number
of hotly contested battles and continued to serve until
the close of the war. His regiment for a time was con-
nected with the army of General Price. He proved
himself a brave and gallant soldier and had an excellent
military record, although his record as a business man
has been no less admirable. When he laid aside the
musket for the implements of peace, he took up farm-
ing and stock raising in Fayette and Coleman counties,
Texas, and through industry and good management made
a success of his operations. He is now living a retired
life at his home in the city of Fort Worth. A man of
strong mind and iron constitution- he is still active and
alert at the age of eighty-two years, perfectly capable
of attending to the duties of life. The mother, who
was born in Tennessee, died in 1906. There were three
sons in the family: George W., of this review; Charles
C, in the Railway Mail Service at Texarkana and in
charge of the Terminal E. P. 0., and Samuel E., of El
Paso, also in the Eailway Mail Service and in the Ter-
minal B. P. O. at that city.

After completing his preliminary educational train-
ing in the public schools of Fayette county, George W.
Eatliff spent one year in the University of Texas, and
with this training embarked upon his career. His first
employment was at clerical work for his father, for
whom he kept a set of books, and subsequently he entered
the employ of the Calcasieu Lumber Company, at Austin,
in a like capacity. For some time following this he
was associated with the Breekenridge & Tinnin Lumber
Mill, in Polk county, Texas, but in 1S89 entered the
Eailway Mail Service at Fort Worth, and has continued
to be identified with this branch of the government to
the present time. In January, 1905, Mr. Eatliff came
to Denison to take charge of District No. 4, which
embraces North Texas and Eastern Oklahoma, there
being 150 clerks necessary to handle the large mails of
this section. A man of energy and enterprise, Mr.
Eatliff has introduced a number of reforms into his
department which have served to facilitate the work of
mail handling and the service has no more trusted or
faithful employe. In political matters he is a Democrat.
On February 23, 1893, Mr. Eatliff was united in mar-
riage at Coleman, Texas, to Miss Nettie Wilson, whose
father was a steamboat captain during the Civil war
and lived in the city of Savannah. Georgia. After the
close of that struggle he engaged in the grocery busi-
ness at Savannah. Two children have been born to Mr.
and Mrs. Eatliff: George W., nineteen years of age,
who is a bookkeeper in the National Bank of Denison,



iind Miss Marion ('., aged fifteen yeais, who is attending
school. During his vacations ilr. Eatliff' has done some
traveling to the large cities of the West, but is content
with the advantages and opportunities to be found in
his home city of Denison, where his numerous friends are
always sure of a welcome at his comfortable residence
at No. 1015 West Morton street.

Cicero Franklix Hexdersox, M. D., an active practi-
tioner in Pittsburg, is a man in the full vigor of pro-
fessional and physical manhood and is enjoying to the
utmost those benefits arising from his social and pro-
fessional standing. He was born near Cason, in Morris
county, at a time when it was still known as Titus
county, and when Snow Hill was a well known country
place established by the pioneers of Ante-Bellum days.
His natal day is May 8, 1865, and he is the son of John
and Millie A. (Hayes) Henderson.

John Henderson accompanied his parents to Texas in
1844 and they settled at Snow Hill, where he spent
his remaining years as a farmer on a modest scale. The
Hendersons of this branch were not slave-holding people.
They were not aggressive planters, but contented them-
selves with comfortable lives and modest surroundings.
John Henderson was born in Mississippi in 1825 and
his somewhat meager education was derived from the
old field schools of that state. He was a son of Michael
Henderson, who carried in his veins the stanch blood
of Scot and the versatile temperament of the Celt. He
died at Snow Hill some years prior to the opening of
the war. His children were reared as farmers and
they were as follows: John, the father of the subject;
James, who died in Florida without family; Michael,
who died in Comanche county, Texas, and left a family;
Adeline, who married Allen Barefoot, and one other
who married Young Box, and all three of the last named
spent their lives in the vicinity of Snow Hill. John
Henderson maintained himself and reared his family
by the products of the soil and gave himself no concern
about matters outside his own domain, save when the
(|uestion of war between the states was being settled.
He demonstrated a patriotic attitude for the old in-
stitutions of the south and gave his service as a soldier
in the ranks of the Confederate army. When the war
was ended he accepted the results with what complacency
he might muster and settled down to the work he had
quitted to enter the service. He had little ever to do
with politics, save to vote his sentiments as a Democrat,
and he possessed no inclination or desire to mingle with
his fellows as a leader of the public or a speaker in their
midst, satisfying his mind and his spirit as a worshiper
in the Missionary Baptist church. He was twice married
and by his first wife had one son, James, who resides
in Brown county, Texas, and a daughter, Mary, who
married George janes and died in Correll county, Texas.
For his second wife Mr. Henderson married Millie A.
Hayes, a daughter of Hugh Hayes, who came to Texas
from Tennessee about the time when the Henderson
family migrated hither. Mr. Hayes died in Titus county
before war times and is buried near Snow Hill. Millie
A. Henderson was born in Tennessee in October, 1838,
and resides in the old neighborhood of Snow Hill. Her
husband died on June S, 1905, and their issue are as
follows: Humphrey, a farmer and a mill and gin man
of Cason, Texas; Tennie, the wife of D. Whittaker;
Monroe, a resident of Mount Pleasant, Texas; Cicero F.
of this review; Ida, the wife of Eobert Montgomery of
Cason, Texas, and vValter and E. L. Henderson also of
Cason, Texas.

Cicero Franklin Henderson was a boy about the farm
near Snow Hill during his minority years and was edu-
cated in the country schools. He a.ssisted one term in
his locality and abandoned the work for what he thought
would be a career in the liquor business at Cason, but
soon after he began the preparation for his professional



TEXAS AND TEXANS



1733



career under Dr. Evaus at Cason. He took his first
course of lectures in the Kentucky School of Medicine
in Louisville and entered upon practice on a certificate
at Lafayette, Upshur county, in 1895. He continued
so until he returned to complete his medical studies in
the Memphis Hospital College, from which he was
graduated in 1900. He continued in practice in Upshur
county until 1908, when he moved to Pittsburgh, and
this has been the center of his professional activities
since that time.

In 1911 Dr. Henderson took a post-graduate course
in the Polyclinic of Tulane University in New Orleans
and has in many ways kept up his studies so that he
stands well to the forefront in his profession in these
parts. He is a member of the County Medical Society
and is now its acting secretary, while he served at one
time as its president. He attends the annual meetings
of the State iledical Association, of which he is a
member, and in every way lives in the spirit of his
profession. In addition to his regular duties as a prac-
titioner Dr. Henderson is the oifieial examiner for the
New York Mutual Life Insurance Company, the Great
Western Life ' Insurance Company of Kansas City and
the Southwestern and Texas Life Insurance Companies
at home, the Great Southern Life Insurance of Huston
and the Amicable Life of Waco. He is a stockholder
in the Amicable Life Insurance Company and in the
Great Southern Life as w^ell, and is financially interested
as a stockholder in the First Guaranty State Bank of
Pittsburg and the First National Bank, also a director
of the Pittsburg National Bank.

Politically Dr. Henderson is a Democrat, although
he is not one to take any active part in the political
affairs of the community, and his churchly affiliations
are with the Missionary Baptist denomination.

On October 22, 1885, Dr. Henderson was married in
Titus county to Miss Ellen Mitchell, a daughter of
Terrell Mitchell, whose children were as follows: John,
William, Thomas, Charles. Ellen and Lee. The children
born to Dr. and Airs. Ilmdcrson are as follows: Bera,
the wife of Luimii' Snutli, and she has one daughter,
Vastine; Jeftie, wlio iiKniii-d Perry Neeley and lives in
Shreveport, Louisiana, and is the mother of one son,
Luoris; Guy Henderson, the youngest child of the Doctor
and his wife, is a bookkeeper in the First National Bank
of Pittsburg.

The Doctor is a Master Mason, but is not especially
active in his lodge affiliations. He is a citizen of the
highest order, wide-awake and always up and doing
and in him Pittsburg has a resident of whom she may
well be proud.

William A.shtox Yixson. As an active and prom-
inent niemljcr in the firm of Lane, Wolters & Storey,
attorn(?ys, Wjlliani Ashton Vinson plays a leading part
in the l.-al ;i.ii\ities of the city of Houston, his firm
being mi'- cil tlic most impressive of its kind in the city.
His identity HiTii Houston was established in 1909, whe'n
he formed an association with his present firm, his pre-
vious legal affiliation having been with Judge Wilkins,
of the firm of Wilkins & Vinson, at Sherman, Texas,
•where he was located for something like ten years.
Mr. Vinson 's success in his profession has been in every
way worthy of him, and he has shown himself to be
ambitious as well as talented, though his modest and
unassuming nature impels him to shun the limelight as
much as is consistent with success in his career.

William Ashton Vinson was born at White Oak, South
Carolina, on December 22, 1874, and is the son of
John and Mary Elizabeth (Brice) Vinson, both natives
of South Carolina, and people who came originally
of French and Scottish ancestry. The family came to
Texas in 1887, settling at Sherman, where the father
identified himself with the mercantile business. He was
a man who had served through the last year of the Civil
war in the Confederacy, having been a student at



Charleston, South Carolina, when hostilities were started.
His father is still living at Sherman, Texas, but his
mother died in 1895.

A boy of thirteen years when he came with his family
to Texas, William Ashton Vinson thus gained the major
part of his education in the Lone Star State. He was
graduated in 1896 from Austin College, at Sherman,
after which he applied himself to the reading of law
in the office of Judge W. W. Wilkins, at Sherman, and
was duly admitted to the bar in 1898. He began the
active practice of his profession as a partner of Judge
Wilkins, who had so ably instructed him. and for ten
years Wilkins & Vinson conducted a highly successful
practice in Sherman. During that time Mr. Vinson was
appointed to fill out the unexpired term of City Attor-
ney, in which he served faithfully and efficiently, and it
may be stated at this point that this is the sole political
office he has ever held during his career thus far, having
no penchant for public life, and entirely content to
devote himself to his profession.

In 1909 Mr. Vinson came to Houston, and soon after
became a member of the firm of Lane, Wolters & Storey,
with whom he is yet associated. Aside from his pro-
fession, Mr. Vinson is identified with the Continental
Bank & Trust Company of Fort Worth, Texas, as a
director, and is a director of the Texas Nursery Com-
pany of Sherman, Texas. On March 1, 1912, he was
appointed by Mayor H. B. Eice to membership on the
Carnegie Library Board of Houston, and one year later
his appointment was reconfirmed by Mayor Ben Camp-
bell. He has given splendid service to the library and
the city in his capacity as a director.

Socially, Mr. Vinson has membership in the Houston
Club, the Houston Country Club, and the Lumberman's
Club of Houston, and in all of them he has made a wide
circle of friends.

On December 19, 1900, Mr. Vinson was married to
Miss Ethel Turner, the daughter of Judge Augustus C.
Turner, of Sherman, Texas, who was long prominent in
Grayson county politics and who was for many years
district judge there. Two daughters have been born to
Mr. and Mrs. Vinson — Virginia and Julia Elizabeth.

John C. Hutchison, a pioneer resident of Queen
City, Cass county, Texas, is entitled to the distinction
of being foremost m developing the iron ore industry
in this county. He belongs to the family of Hutchi-
sons who pioneered in North Carolina and possesses to
a marked degree that initiative which characterized his
worthy ancestors.

Mr. Hutchison is a native of Tennessee. He was
born in Tipton county, that state, in 1845, sou of Charles
Harris and Adeline (Thompson) Hutchison. Charles
Harris Hutchison was born in Mecklenburg countv,
North Carolina, a grandson of Captain William Hutchi-
son, who owned the land upon which Charlotte, North
Carolina, was built. Captain William Hutchinson was
one of the promulgators of the Mecklenburg Declaration
of Independence, was captain of troops in the Con-
tinental line in Eevohitionary war and was a prominent
figure in North Carolina history. Charles H. Hutchison
lived in Jlecklenburg county till after he was grown
and soon after his marriage to Miss Adeline Thompson
of that county he emigrated to Tipton county, Tennessee,
where he lived till December, 1854, when he removed
with his family to Cass county, Texas. They settled
in the woods and opened up a farm seven miles east of
Jefferson, in what was known as the ' ' Bend ' ' country
and in what is now Marion county, which county was
formed out of Cass county. He and his wife lived in
this place until 1878. From this home they moved to
Queen City, Texas. The wife died in 1888 and the hus-
band in 1898. They had seven children: James H.,
deceased ; Amand Kirkland, now living in Dallas, Texas ;
John C. ; Sarah A. Mathews, deceased; Tennessee Har-



1734



TEXAS AND TEXANS



well, deceased; Margaret A. Britton, now in Fort Worth;
Charley Milton, now living in Atlanta, Texas.

At the time the Hutchison family came to Texas
John C. was a lad of nine years. He was yet a youth
in his early teens when the war of the Rebellion broke
out, but before its close he tendered his services to
the Southern cause and spent two years in the Con-
federate army as a member of Company A, Nineteenth
Texas (Waterhouse's) Regiment, Walker's Division, in
the Trans-Mississippi Department. After the war he
returned to his father's home and entered school im-
mediately, going to W. S. Glass during the remainder of
1865. On January 1, 1S66, he entered school at the Nance
old school house, going to one J. N. Adams. In 1867 he
went to school at Sulphur Springs, going to Uncle Jo
Clark, one of the pioneer educators of East Texas, and
returned to the farm for the next two years, 1868 and
1869. In 1870 he accepted a clerkship in a store at Jef-
ferson, which at that time was one of the most important
commercial cities of Texas. In 1871 he went to Linden,
the county seat of Cass county, and established a grocery
store. This grocery stock he soon disposed of and the
following year turned his attention to drugs. That
was the beginning of the drug business in which he and,
later, his sons have since been engaged.

In 1874, upon the completion of the Texas & Pacific
Railroad through Cass county he removed his business
from Linden to Lanark, a station on the new road, and
in 1876, when the station of Queen City was established,
he removed his drug store to this place and had the
distinction of being its pioneer merchant. With the
growth and prosperity of his business grew the demand
for "Hutchison's Magic Oil," a healing preparation of
his own. On its own merits, and without advertising, the
fame of this medicine spread until Mr. Hutchison de-
cided to retire from retail drug business and devote
his entire attention to the manufacture and sale of
Magic Oil. As a result of this decision the Hutchison
Medicine Company was organi?ed, of which Mr. Hutchi-
son is president. His two sons, John C, Jr., and James
E., are officers of the company and have active charge
of the business, which in 1908 was removed from Queen
City to Texarkana. Mr. Hutchison, however, continued
to make his home in Queen City until November 1, 1913,
at which date he and his wife moved to Texarkana and
he again became actively engaged with the Hutchison
Medicine Company. The company has a fine plant in
a modern brick building at the corner of State and
Thirteenth streets in Texarkana, from which it dis-
tributes its product to the jobbing trade and where it
is doing a constantly increasing business.

Since 1891 Mr. Hutchison has been a prominent
factor in the development of the iron ore business in
Cass county. That year he bought, from the receiver of
the property, the famous Bowie Hill iron ore lands, five
miles north of Queen City. This was the location of
the old Sulphur Forks Iron Works, which had been
established during the war by the Confederate States
of Texas, Arkansas and Louisiana, and operated for
the benefit of the Confederate government, and for this
reason is of historic interest. Mr. Hutchison has since
sold a part of his interest in this property, but is still
the owner of over one thousand acres, which is subject
to future development. And this promises to be an im-
portant industry in the State of Texas.

Referring to Mr. Hutchison 's early identity with
Queen City, it should be recorded that he opened up the
first street in the town. And, as showing his enterprise
and public spirit, it should be further recorded that in
1876 he operated a saw mill in the tovra, at considerable
expense to himself, and sawed lumber free for every
person who would build a house there and was not able
to pay for it.

Mr. Hutchison was married February 22, 1872, to
Miss Margaret C. Sharp of Marion county, Texas,



daughter of Jehu H. Sharp, a prominent citizen of that
county, and they have five children living: Mrs. Annie
Cabe of Stamps, Arkansas; Mrs. Maggie Allday of
Atlanta, Texas; John C, Jr., of Texarkana; James E.,
also of Texarkana, and Mrs. Adine Ellington of Atlanta,
Texas. The third child, Charley Harris, was taken to
Heaven at two years of age.

Fraternally Mr. Hutchison is a Master Mason and
religiously he is a Methodist. Last, but not least, he is
politically a Democrat.

Robert Monroe White. The residence of the White
family has been continuous in south Texas, in the coun-
try about Galveston Bay, and in Chambers county, since
18"l9. That was before the establishment of the first
Austin colony. It was about the time Mexico won in-
dependence from Spain. Up to that time American
settlers had been strictly forbidden to enter Texas and
find homes in territory. The population of what is now
the Lone Star State was centered almost entirely about
a few Mexican forts and towns, chiefly about San
Antonio, and on the extreme east at Nacogdoches and
Anahuac, Texas. These facts are meutioiied to indicate
how very early in the pioneer period was the settlement
of the White family. Three or four generations have
succeeded one another as prominent citizens, large land
owners and cattle raisers, business men and public-
spirited citizens, in what is now Chambers county, and
among the prominent representatives of the name now
living and active in affairs are Robert Monroe White
and James T. White, two of the largest ranchers and
land owners in the state of Texas.



Online LibraryFrancis White JohnsonA history of Texas and Texans (Volume 4) → online text (page 45 of 177)