Francis White Johnson.

A history of Texas and Texans (Volume 4) online

. (page 5 of 177)
Online LibraryFrancis White JohnsonA history of Texas and Texans (Volume 4) → online text (page 5 of 177)
Font size
QR-code for this ebook


but later moved to the South. His mother's family
trace their ancestry back to the Mayflower and to John
and Priscilla Alden of Massachusetts. Daniel Haskell
Caswell in his early life was a millwright and buUt flour
and lumber mills, but since 1880 has been actively
engaged in the cotton seed oil mUl business, being now
the oldest oil mill man in active service. He was the
owner of the Tuscaloosa, Alabama, Oil Mill, one of the
first cotton seed oil mills ever erected, and in 1892 came
to Texas and located at Austin, where he has since con-
tinued to carry on his affairs, and is actively engaged
in business in spite of his eighty years. During his long
and useful career it is estimated that he has erected fifty
cotton seed oil mills.

William Thomas Caswell received his early education
in the public schools of his native city, where he gradu-
ated from the High School, and entered Vanderbilt
University, graduating therefrom in civil engineering in
1899. At that time he joined his father at Austin, and
was associated with him in business for a short time.
He then embarked in the business of cotton buying and
exporting, which he has developed until it is now recog-
nized as one of the leading enterprises of this section.
At this time he is handling over 100,000 bales of cotton
annually, and is one of the few cotton men in the busi-
ness to buy direct from the farmer and export direct
to the foreign customer, firms in Europe and Japan
handling the greater part of his output. He also handles
more wagon cotton than any dealer in the United States,
his business during some years running up as high as
$20,000,000. Mr. Caswell, in addition to being the owner
of a chain of cotton gins in the vicinity of Austin, is
president of the Capitol Compress Company and of the
San Marcos Compress Company, and vice president of
the Elgin Compress Company. He has been largely
interested in real estate, and in 1910 bought and de-
veloped what is now known as the Ridge Top Addition
and the Ridge Top Annex Addition to the city of Austin,
which have proved the most poijular additions to the
northern part of the city, iiriw being rapidly developed
and settled as residential sections. He is also the owner
of the Hyde Park Heights Addition to the city of
Houston, which he has most successfully developed and
settled, and is the owner of 5,000 acres of timber land
in Montgomery county, Texas, on which he has erected
an extensive sawmill which is cutting some 15,000,000
feet of timber. He maintains offices at No. 410 Chieon
street and 625 Littlefield Bldg., Austin, Tex. Mr. Cas-
well 's success is one which is noteworthy even in a part
of the country where a large measure of success is not
uncommon and where forcible and capable captains of
business abound. And it is all the more remarkable in
that it has been practically self-gained. Active, alert,
quick in his decisions and courageous in his undertakings,
he has the entire confidence of his associates, who con-
stantly look to him for leadership and counsel. Essen-
tially a man of business, he has eared little for public
life, except as a good citizen performing his civic duties,
and his only fraternal connection is with the Chi Phi
fraternity of the Vanderbilt University. But he is an
active worker in all charitable movements of Austin and
in the Y. M. C. A. work, of which institution he was
president several years.

Mr. Caswell was married in 1904 to Miss Vivian Breni-
zer, daughter of Dr. Nelson O. Brenizer, a well-known
practicing physician of Austin, and to this union there
have been born two children : Anna Louise and Clair.
The pleasant family residence is located at No. 1502 West
avenue.



1608



TEXAS AND TEXANS



Judge T. W. Hudson. A resident of the Lone Star
State since 1871, of Grayson county since 1888 and of
Sherman since 1890, Judge T. W. Hudson has had a
praiseworthy career and one that entitles him to spe-
cific mention in the pages of this comprehensive historical
and biographical work. A straightforward account of
the leading activities of the life of Judge Hudson is
here presented, as closely in accordance with fact as is
possible with the information at hand, and it is offered
as a worthy addition to the recital of achievement pre-
sented in this publication.

T. W. Hudson, justice of the peace of Sherman, Texas,
was born on December 24, 1836, in Georgia, and is a
son of J. E. and Martha E. (Banks) Hudson, both
natives of that State. The father was a farmer and
a well-to-do slaveholder before the war. He migrated
to Arkansas in 1849, taking up land in Columbia county,
and there continued to farm in a small way up to the
time of his death in 1883. The mother survived until
1892. They were the parents of eleven children, six sons
and five daughters, and of that goodly family seven
are living today. Judge Hudson is the third son of his
parents.

T. W. Hudson had his early education in a little log
schoolhouse in Arkansas, and when one considers the
period and the progress of the educational system of the
country at that time it is easy to arrive at the conclu-
sion that the boy came through his school experience with
the meagerest addition to his mental equipment. How-
ever, in later years, after the close of the Civil war, he
repaired that lack to a great extent by attending school
in Magnolia, Arkansas. Young Hudson volunteered for
service in the Confederate army in May, 1861, and
enlisted in Captain Eeed 's company. This company later
disbanded and the young man returned home, but in
April, 1862, he joined the company of Captain Henry
Perry, Colonel Tom P. Dockery's regiment, and straight-
way moved to the front. He was in the battle at Farm-
ington and on October 4th was wounded at Corinth, a
ball passing through his left knee. His leg was ampu-
tated the next day, just above the knee, and before he
was able to leave the hospital he was taken prisoner, sent
to luka, Mississippi, and there held until January 3,
1863. Then, through the kindness of a Miss Foster, of
Florence, Alabama, he, with three other men who had
each lost a leg, was taken in a mule wagon to Florence,
Alabama. On March 25th ^following he went to Hunts-
ville, thence to Mobile, and on April 13, 1863, started
back overland to his Arkansas home. It was then that
the young man, maimed and broken in health, decided
that he must repair the lack he had experienced in his
early schooling, and he began to attend school at Mag-
nolia, Arkansas. As a result of this study he began
teaching school in 1864 and he continued in that work
until 1870. In 1871 he came to Texas, and he has ever
since been identified with the State in one capacity or
another.

The first location of Mr. Hudson in Texas was at
CoUinsville, and there he took up his teaching work
again, continuing there for three years, until in 1873,
when he was elected to the office of justice of the peace.
That was his first civil office, and he served therein until
1885, when he went to Houston, and was elected there
to the office of grand secretary of the Grand Lodge of
Masons, an order to which he had long given allegiance
as a member. He held that office for three years, then
returned to Grayson county, and in November, 1890, was
elected to the office of county clerk. He served faith-
fully for six years, during three successive terms, and in
1900 he was elected justice of the peace in Sherman, an
office which he has continued to hold with all of credit
to himself and to the city from then until now, or during
a period of thirteen years. His service has been one of
the most satisfactory order, and he has been returned
to the office with pleasing regularity from year to year.
Always a Democrat, he has done good work for the party



in this county. Judge Hudson was a member of the
county board at the time when the present Grayson
county court house was completed and turned over to
the public, in March, 1876, and he presided at the first
court held in the new building. He also served as one
of the first county officers after this building came into

Judge Hudson has been a member of the Masonic
fraternity since 1858, and he has advanced well along
in the various bodies. He is a devout Baptist and has
long been a member of the church. On October 23, 1872,
Judge Hudson was married in CoUinsville, Texas, to
Mrs. S. M. Westworth, who was a daughter of J. M.
Doty, a pioneer farmer of Grayson county, who died
here several years ago. Mrs. Hudson died November
28, 1913.

The judge and his wife have four living children.
Mrs. Hudson had a son by her first marriage, J. W.
Westbrook, now about forty-five years of age and a
resident of Oklahoma, where he is clerk of the county
court at Ada, Oklahoma. The Hudson chUdren are as
follows: Nettie, the wife of E. E. Chambers, of Austin,
Texas, cashier of the Citizens Bank of that city; Dan
K. Hudson, a bookkeeper in the Merchants' and Planters'
Bank of Sherman, and Homer D., of Austin, a book-
keeper in the banking and insurance department of the
State.

The judge has his office on the corner of Houston
and Crockett streets, while his residence is at No. 414
South Elm street.

Hon. Alfred J. Harper. The public career of Judge
Harper began eighteen years ago when he was elected
county judge of Limestone county, and his service has
been continuous as county judge, as state senator and
since 1911 as judge of the court of criminal appeals at
Austin. His thorough qualifications as a lawyer, his
broad experience in state and local affairs, and his
disinterested and competent administration of every
trust and duty of a public nature with which he has been
honored, have been characteristic and influential in all
his service, whether as a legislator or on the bench, and
his dignity and industry have served to maintain the
high standard of the Texas court of criminal appeals.

Alfred J. Harper was born in Scott county, Mississippi.
May 17, 1864, a son of Robert E. and Fannie (Hodges)
Harper, both of whom an' iiati\es nf Alabama. His
father, who was a merchant ;iii,l |.liiiii'r in Mississippi,
was a member of the Sixtli .M i - ) - i|i|.i Infantry in the
Confederate army duriny the war liotween the states,
under the command of General Robert E. Lowery, while
the regiment was commanded by Col. A. Y. Harper, an
uncle of Judge Harper, and another uncle, James C.
Harper, was a captain in the same regiment.

The education of Judge Harper was acquired in the
schools of Mississippi, and his last teacher was J. R.
Preston, now superintendent of public instruction in
Mississippi. Coming to Texas in 1881, at the age of
seventeen, in Limestone county, Judge Harper was em-
ployed for a time in the printing office of L. L. Foster,
who was afterwards railroad commissioner of the state
of Texas and later president of the Agricultural and
Mechanical College at Bryan. Mr. Harper studied law
in Limestone county at the office of Gibson & Doyle,
was admitted to the bar in the spring of 1891, and has
ever since been actively engaged in the work of his
profession either as a lawyer or judge.

Judge Harper served as county judge of Limestone
county for six years, from 1896 'to 1902. The district
comprising Limestone county sent him to the state senate
for eight years, from 1903 to 1911, and he finally re-
signed from the senate to accept his present position as
judge of the court of criminal appeals. His service in
the state senate had some noteworthy features. He was
chairman of judiciary committee No. 2; was author of
"The Medical Practice Act;" was author of the Texas




<^. yh >i^ ^<^ou



TEXAS AND TEXANS



1609



law compelling all railroads to fumigate their trains, the
first law of its kind ever adopted in the United States,
and one that since its passage by the Texas legislature
has been adopted by many other states; was also joint
author of the law authorizing the creation of drainage
and levee districts for the reclaimation of bottom lands
of Texas.

Judge Harper atiUiates with the Masonic fraternity,
being Past Master of Groesbeck Lodge No. 107, A. F. &
A. M. ; is a Boyal Arch Mason and a Knights Templar;
is Past Chancellor of Travid Lodge No. 20, Knights of
Pythias; a member of the Knights of Honor, and belongs
to the University Club of Austin and the Austin Press
Club. Judge Harper married December 23, 1901, Miss
Margaret L. Ingram, daughter of S. C. and Shelly
(Mosely) Ingram, of Limestone county. Their four
children are as follows: Alfred J. Harper, Jr., James O.
Harper, Margaret Harper and Lloyd M. Harper. Judge
Harper and family reside at 2S30 Eio Grande Street in
Austin.

W. W. Collier. For more than twenty years a promi-
nent banker of southwest Texas, Mr. Collier must
properly be included in that group of aggressive and
forceful characters who have been chiefly instrumental
in the development of this section of the state during
the past half century. Mr. Collier is in every sense of
the word a pioneer. He was during the early years of
his life a member of the State Eangers force," and in
that capacity offered himself for the protection and
safeguarding of the frontiers of the Texas of that time.
As a ranger he was all over west Texas from the rear
grounds into the far northwest, and all rangers acquired
a reputation for fearlessness and efficiency, qualities for
which the ranger service has been noted since its
establishment.

Mr. W. W. Collier was born at Eusk, in Cherokee
county, Texas, in 1863, a son of Thomas Pierce and
Anna (Lewis) Collier. The father, a native of Alabama,
came to Texas in 1847 and became one of the early
settlers in Smith county. Subsequently he moved into
Cherokee county, and in 1867 to Waco, the city whi.h
remained his home during the remainder of his life.
His death occurred in 1877. During the war between
the states he had served in the Confederate army under
General Magruder in the Trans-Mississippi Department.
Two of his brothers were killed while serving as Con-
federate soldiers. His wife also had one brother who
lost his life while fighting for the cause of the south.
Anna Lewis Collier was born at Eome, Georgia.

Mr. AT. W. Collier spent most of the years of his youth
at Waco, and completed his education by graduation
from the Bobinson high school, a well known institution
of its time and located five miles south of Waco. When
he was eighteen years of age, in 1883, Mr. Collier rode
to Austin on horseback and enlisted for service in the
Texas State Eangers. He became a member of Company
D, which was then commanded by Captain L. P. Sieker.
The first assignment to duty was on the detach work at
the crossing of the Nueces Eiver in Uvalde county, and
from that time forward for a period of four years and
four months, he was in active and constant service as a
ranger. His duties often required him to undertake long
journeys alone, while at other times he was on duty in
co-operation with his company. No finer body of state
soldiery has even existed than the Texas State Eangers,
and probably the only organization of a similar kind
which can be compared with the Eanger force is that
of the mounted police of western Canada. As Eanger
Mr. Collier's service extended all along what was then
the frontier of Texas from Laredo west to El Paso, and
north and east into Hamilton county. The period of the
eighties is remembered by old-timers and by students
of Texas history as one of the worst in the "history of
the frontier. That was the great era of the range cattle
business, when the cowboy and his followers were supreme.



during which time also the first great railway pushed by
lines into the far west, a,nd brought with them many
attendant scenes of disorder and outlawry.

On leaving the ranger service Mr. Collier located at
Uvalde, the county seat of Uvalde county, and soon
afterwards was elected to the ofiice of County Treasurer.
Few men have been honored more consecutively in public
oflSce than Mr. Collier. By successive elections he held
the position of county treasurer for twenty years, and
at his retirement was one of the oldest and most highly
esteemed public officials that Uvalde county had ever
had. In the meantime, in 1890, he organized the first
bank of Uvalde county, known for some time as the
First National Bank o'f Uvalde. The liusiness of this
bank was subsequently liquidated and Mr. Collier then
established a private bank, under the name of Collier
& Company. This institution was later merged into the
U-valde National Bank of which Mr. Collier served as
president. He continued in the banking business in
Uvalde until 1907, at which date he moved his home
to San Antonio, where he has been since a resident,
and also active in banking and general financial affairs
of this southwest Texas metropolis. He is now active
vice president of the State Bank & Trust Company of
San Antonio, one of the strongest and most influential
financial institutions of southwest Texas.

Fraternally Mr. Collier is affiliated with the Masons,
being a Knights Templar and Shriner, and past master
of his lodge at Uvalde. He is also a past deputy grand
master of Texas. Mr. Collier married Miss Mattie Hale,
who was born in Milan, Tennessee. Their five children
are George Pierce, W. W., Jr., Shelley Hale, John Howell
and Eleanor Collier.

Elisha Marshall Pease. While his administration
through two terms as governor of Texas during the dec-
ade of the fifties has placed the name of Elisha M.
Pease prominently in Texas history, his career was one
of nnich greater service and variety of experience than
the brief space usually assigned to a governor's official
term in the ordinary school books on Texas history could
adequately describe. For one thing, it is not generally
known that Governor Pease was in Texas and an active
participant in the events leading up to the revolution
and the organi7ation of the government of the Eepublic
in 1835-36. His service as provisional governor of Texas
after the Civil war was much misunderstood during the
existing turmoil of the state at that' time. A brief
sketch of his life and character, it is hardly necessary
to state, has a very appropriate place in this publication.

Elisha Marshall Pease was born nt Enfiold. C'nnnecti-
cut, January 3, 1812, a son of I.iui.iiii 'rih.iN|isou and
Sarah (Marshall) Pease. After In- rlnriHun in the
public schools of Enfield and an ni;Mlciiiy at Westfield,
Massachusetts, he began his career at the age of four-
teen as clerk in a country store, and his early training
in accounts and his habits of promptness and punctuality
in business were decided factors in his later success.

His business duties sent him south to New Orleans in
1834. New Orleans was then a center of intelligence
for all affairs concerning the Texas country, and Mr.
Pease, having heard many glowing accounts of the
province west of the Sabine, determined to investigate
their truth and venture into what was then Mexican
territory. His point of landing was at Velasco. and
thence he proceeded to the frontier settlement on the
Colorado, locating at Mina, now the town of Bastrop.
Colonel D. C. Barrett, subsequently prominent in the
affairs of the Eepublic, was practicing law at Mina, and
received Mr. Pease into his office as a student. WhOe
prosecuting his studies, he quickly gained an acquaint-
ance and established himself in the confidence of the
people in and about Mina, and soon afterward his
clerical Qualifications caused him to be appointed secre-
tary of the Committee of Safety for the jurisdiction of
Mina. That was his first active relation with public



TEXAS AND TEXANS



affairs, which eontiuued with intervals uutil the close
of his long and eventful life.

The Texas revolution actually began in 1835, and
Elisha M. Pease was present at the first skirmish between
the Texan patriots and the Mexican authorities at Gon-
zales, which preceded the siege and capture of San
Antonio and all the notable events which followed in
its train. Soon afterwards Mr. Pease was made secretary
of the council of the Provisional government, and held
that position until the inception of the government ad
interim in March, 1836. While Mr. Pease was not a
member of the convention which declared the independ-
ence of Texas and formulated the first constitution for
the republic, his abilities were so pronounced and his
aid ^nd skill in both the detailed and the comprehensive
working out of the plans of government were so invalu-
able that he was called in to assist in a very material
way in framing the ordinances for the new government,
and did much more towards drawing up and perfecting
that instrument than many of those who actually sat in
the convention as delegates.

During the summer of 1836, after independence had
been won. Governor Pease served successively as chief
clerk of the na%-y and treasury departments, and for
some time acted "as secretary of the treasury after the
death of Secretary Hardeman. In November, 1836, came
his appointment as clerk of the judiciary committee of
the House of Representatives, and in that capacity he
drafted the laws creating and defining the duties of the
various county oificers. At the close of the first session
of Congress, in December, 1836, President Houston
offered him the portfolio of postmaster general, a high
honor which he felt obliged to decline, since it was his
desire to continue the study of law and enter active
practice. His law studies were accordingly resumed in
the office of Col. John J. Wharton at Brazoria, and in
April, 1837, Mr. Pease was admitted to the bar of the
Eepublie at the old town of Washington on the Brazos.
An appointment as comptroller of public accounts gave
him official duties which he resigned in the following
December and returned to Brazoria, where he took up
the active practice of law in co-partnership with Col.
John Wharton. In 1838 John W. Harris liecame asso-
ciated with them, and after the death of Col. Wharton
the firm of Harris & Pease continued for many years
and as advocate and counselors probably no firm at the
time ranked higher and had a better record of success
than this.

While a successful career as a lawyer was adding to
his fame, Governor Pease was seldom without some offi-
cial vocation. He served as district attorney for a term
and after the annexation of Texas to the Union in 1846
was elected a member of the first legislature from
Brazoria county. In the following session, which had
a great burden of duties, Mr. Pease had a prominent
part and was author of the law regulating proceedings
in District courts and of many other notable measures
of the session. Ee-elected to the house for the second
legislature- he became chairman of the .iudiciary com-
mittee, and originated the probate laws of Texas in
1848. In the third legislature he sat in the senate, to
which he was elected in 1850, and served during the
regular session, but was absent from the state when
Governor Bell convened an extra session, and at that
time he resigned and terminated his legislative service.

In 1853 the people of Texas elected Elisha M. Pease
as their governor, and he was re-elected in 1855. Those
two administrations are characterized in the history of
the early state as one of great prosperity, governmental
economy, the promotion of much wise legislation whose
fruits are stiU bearing in the state. The revolutionary
debt was finally cancelled, a school fund of two million dol-
lars was created, and alternate sections of lands granted to
railroads under oW charters were set apart for the benefit
of public schools; the lunatic asylum, orphan asylum,
institutions for the deaf and dumb and blind were estab-



lished and ample grants of land made for their support.
A notable provision of his term as governor was the
setting aside of one hundred thousand dollars to provide
for the state university. All these measures and reforms
were recommended b.v Governor Pease and were carried
out largely through his active influence and leadership.
While so much was done to lay the foundations of the
later educational and charitable institutions and in other
progressive ways, the cost of the goverment administra-
tion was remarkable for its economy. The expenses of
the various state departments aggregated less than the
amount of revenue derived from taxation, and at the
end of Governor Pease's second administration Texas
was free from debt. Perhaps no governor of the time
showed a more watchful interest in behalf of the people
of the state and more closely safeguarded the future
welfare than Governor Pease. An illustration of this is



Online LibraryFrancis White JohnsonA history of Texas and Texans (Volume 4) → online text (page 5 of 177)