Francis White Johnson.

A history of Texas and Texans (Volume 4) online

. (page 55 of 177)
Online LibraryFrancis White JohnsonA history of Texas and Texans (Volume 4) → online text (page 55 of 177)
Font size
QR-code for this ebook


franchise unfailingly when opportunity presents itself.

His wife, who was Miss Laura Agnes Eeed, is a
daughter of the great pioneer, Stillman S. Eeed of
Mansfield, Ohio.

The family of Eev. T. J. Oliver Curran is one that has
but few representatives in the States, and the nearest
relative he claims this side of Ireland is John Phillpot
Curran, Judge of the King's Bench, in Winnipeg,
Canada. The family, however, is one that is well rep-
resented on its native heath, and men of the name
have been prominent in politics and in Irish art and
letters through a number of generations.

Joseph H. McBroom. One of the leading members
of the El Paso bar, Mr. McBroom located in El Paso
over ten years ago as semi-invalid, having been at-
tracted to this western city as a place to restore a
constitution which had long been failing. Thus he is
both a representative of the health resources of this
city and of its possibilities as a business center.

Joseph H. McBroom was born at Monticello. Illinois,
January 30, ISTI. and was a son of Lewis and Elizabeth
McBroom. The family is of Scotch-Irish descent. His



father was for a number of years a substantial farmer
in Piatt county, Illinois, and from there moved to Monti-
cello. Joseph H. McBroom as a boy attended the Monti-
cello high school, of which he is a graduate, and later
graduated from Wabash College at CrawfordsviUe,
Indiana, in June, 1897, taking the degree of Master of
Arts. Admitted to the Indiana bar he began practice
and remained for four years at CrawfordsviUe. Ill
health compelled him to make a move to a different
climate and as a result in September, 1902, he arrived
in El Paso. Mr. McBroom is a vigorous specimen of
physical manhood at the present time, and in the years
since locating here has built up a fine practice in the
better class of litigation.

During the Spanish-American war of 1898-99 Mr.
McBroom was for six months with the One Hundred and
Fifty-Eighth Indiana Volunteers. In polities he has
been a Eepublican in principles and as a voter usually
supporting the candidate, but during the last campaign
in 1912 was allied with the Progressives. During 1908
he was president of the Taft-Sherman Club of El Paso.
Fr^iternally he has membership in the Kappa Sigma
College Fraternity and is a member and trustee of the
Presbyterian church at El Paso.

At Newtown, Indiana, September 14, 1904, he married
Miss Alice M. Parnell of Newtown, a daughter of Eobert
and Minerva Parnell. Their one child is a daughter
named Marjorie Dell. It is superfluous to add that Mr.
McBroom is an enthusiast regarding the climate and the
business possibilities of El Paso and western Texas, and
it is needless to say that such is his confidence in the
place that he would live nowhere else.

Joseph M. Lewis. Coming to America a boy of
twelve years and starting out for himself only a year
later, Mr. Lewis after a varied experience and the suc-
cessful overcoming of many obstacles finally got into
the theatrical and amusement business and is now
known as one of the proprietors of the largest and
finest theaters in El Paso and all west Texas, and is a
very enterprising promoter of high class theatrical enter-
tainment in this city.

Joseph M. Lewis was born at Odessa, Eussia, May 21,
1879, being the third of eight children born to Morris
and Anna Lewis, both natives of Eussia. The family came
to America in 1891, locating in Houston, Texas, where
the father has ever since been connected with mer-
chandising.

.Joseph M. Lewis received his education in the schools
of his native country and for a very brief time after
coming to. America attended school. At the age of
thirteen he began working in a store and continued in
one place or another, getting exnerience more than
capital up to the time he was eighteen. He then be-
came interested in the decorating and advertising trade
and was in that line until 1904. In the city of Dallas
he established what has ever since been known in ad-
vertising circles as the Lewis System, and it has been
a very effective means of setting before the public the
current business opportunities and attractions and
amusements of the dav. Mr. Lewis has been a resident
of El Paso since February fi. 1911, and in this city
established what is known as the Princess Theater. On
October 26. 1911. he and Mr. V. B. Andrews opened to
the public the Grecian Theater, which easily ranks as
the finest theater building in El Paso, and one of the
very best in the entire southwest. Both the Princess and
the Grecian are owned by Messrs. Lewis & Andrews.
The Grecian is located at the corner of El Paso and
Overland streets. Mr. Lewis has other real estate hold-
ings in El Paso and is regarded as one of the very suc-
cessful citizens and one who has a public spirited at-
titude toward all things for the betterment of the city.

He is a Democrat in politics, but has never sought any
official honors. He is affiliated with the Benevolent and




aJAy ULJAa^ yti^-t-'^.-'ifi^ ^4J-m.-<^L^^^



TEXAS AND TEXANS



1763



Protective Order of Elks and belongs to the Moving
Picture Exhibitors' League of Texas.

On January 27, 1902, at Fort Worth, he married Miss
Jessie Griswell, daughter of Charles Griswell. Mrs.
Lewis was born in Tennessee, but was reared in Texas.
Their home is in the Virginia Apartments on North
Oregon street.

Anton Camozze. As a business builder few men in
El Paso have a record of such substantial prosperity as
that of Anton Camozze, head of the largest ice cream
manufacturing establishment in the southwest, and of
the only exclusive concern of this kind in El Paso. Mr.
Camozze came to this city a little more than ten years
ago, after having suffered disastrous reverses during
the panic years of the nineties. He had begun as a
poor man on coming to America, many years ago, and
by dint of industry and business talents of more than
ordinary caliber, he had acquired what would be con-
sidered a substantial fortune. Nearly all of this he lost
in the panic years of the nineties and came to El Paso
with what remained of his little fortune and began his
fight all over again. He is now probably more prosperous
than ever and has acquired a place of substantial in-
fluence in his city.

Anton Camoz7e was born in Switzerland on May 28,
18.59. His father was Matthew Camozze, a native of
SwitzerhTud, a coppersmith by trade, and a very promi-
nent man in his canton and republic. He came to Amer-
ica in 1S70, lint after five years returned to his beloved
Switierlanil, where he died in 1879, on April l9, at the
age of fifty-six. He was a devout member of the
Catholic church and took a very active part in political
and civic matters in Switzerland. He served as mayor
of Cozzo, also as treasurer of the town, and for a num-
ber of years was treasurer of his church. His political
thought was that of the radical republican faction. He
was a man of determined and lofty character and carried
the high respect of his fellow men to the end of his life.
The maiden name of his wife was Josephine Galli; she
was born in Switzerland and died at the age of twenty-
seven years on June 11, 18.59. There were four children
in the family, of whom Anton was the youngest.

Educated in the schools of his native land, passing
throni,'li tlie hiyli school, he left home and school together
at tlio atje of sixteen and set out for America, where
he arrived on ^tay 9. 1870. From New York he came
to St. Louis, where he found emplovnient with the
Cabanne Milk Company. A year later he entered the
employment of the St. Louis Stamping Cnmpanv, in
which plant he learned the tinsmith's trade and fol-
lowed that for a number of vears. He remained in
St. Louis from 1876 until the end of 1879, and in 1SS3
went out west and located in Denver. There he estab-
lished himself in the confectionery and grocery busi-
ness and eradually enlarged his stock and quarters and
trade until he has made himself master of a very fine
and profitable business. His home was in Denver from
1883 until 1900. Subsequent to the panic of 1893 he
lost about $30,000. Beginning with a cash capital of
.$1,000 in Denver he has gradually got ahead until his
resources were a comfortable amount, "so that the disaster
which came to him almost wiped out his lifetime ac-
cumulations. With what remained of his capital he
came to El Paso, where he arrived on November 11,
1900.

On May 1. 1901, Mr. Camozze established at the corner
of Oregon and Franklin streets a wholesale and retail
ice cream and confectionerv business. This was the
onlv exclusive factory for ice cream in El Paso, and
owinc to the fact that Mr. Carao7ze has kept his product
up to the highest standard of ouality and sanitary
wholesomeness he has enioved a business with a tendency
to increase in volume everv vear. He not onlv supplies
a lar.rp part of the local trade, but ships his creams and
ices throughout a large scope of territory of which El



Paso is the logical business center. The office and plant
of the establishment are at the corner of Octavia and
San Antonio streets, and the plant which Mr. Camozze
owns and which he erected cost $15,000. He is also the
owner of a large amount of other real estate and owns
his beautiful residence at 1211 San Antonio street.

In politics Mr. Camozze is a Socialist, with progressive
ideals and yet thoroughly practical and commonsense
jirinciples along political lines. He is affiliated with
the Independent Order of Odd Fellows, the Wood-
men of the World at El Paso and was brought up in
the faith of the Catholic church. At Denver, Colorado,
on November 29, 1890, he married Miss Belzameer
Giguere, who was born in Quebec, Canada, of French
parentage. Mr. and Mrs. Camozze have no children.

J.VMES GuiNN Hudson. The late James Guinn Hud-
son was a resident of Gainesville, Texas, for upwards
of ten years when death claimed him in 1899, and in
the years of his residence here and elsewhere in' the
state he had accumulated a goodly portion of property.
His residence in Gainesville was marked by his iden-
tilication with the restaurant business, in which he was
particularly successful. Born in Tennessee in 1839, Mr.
Hudson was a son of Andrew and Martha Hudson,
both natives of Tennessee, where they passed their
lives. The father was a farmer in that state, and the
subject was one of the six children born to the parents.
The others are: Mary, living in Tennessee; Felix, who
(lied in Texas; Elizabeth, unmarried and living on the
old home place at Camden, Tennessee; Henry and Chris-
topher also live on the old home place.

James Guinn Hudson grew up on the old home place
and there gained such education as he was permitted
to acquire. He was rather young when he started
out for himself in life, but he made his way success-
fulh', first venturing at one task and then at another,
until he found himself in full-fledged manhood. He was
forty-seven years old when he married, and then he
bought a farm of his own and settled down upon it,
continuing thus for six years. He then moved to Texas,
settling in Ciainesville, and starting up in the restaurant
business, in which he continued successfully until he died
on March 13, 1899. He left a fine farm of several
hundred acres, which his widow has since sold, but she
still retains a two story building on North Commerce



qtrcpt



tr, th,



Mr. Hu.lsun was a 1 i..in-M-i :il in liis pnlllirs. and

was tax ,cll,'<-t..r in liis 1 ,■ ,-.,iii,lv in Tmnr-.M.,. for

six years, although he ucmt held any «[]„■,' ,lnnn- the
years of his residence in Texas. He was a quiet man,
devoted to his home and home life, and there found
his greatest pleasures. He was a man of enterprising
luisiness habits, and was known for a public-spirited man,
and one who concerned himself in the interests of bis
community, always shouldering his full share of the
responsibility when any worthy work was in progress,
either civic, social or otherwise. He was a member
of the Independent Order of Odd Fellows and of the
Knights of Honor.

In 1887 Mr. Hudson married Miss Mary Bell, a
daughter of John and Lucy Ann (Blackwell) Bell.
Both parents were natives of Tennessee, and both died
when Mrs. Hudson was a small child. She is one of
the five children of her parents, the others being: Nar-
cissus. James, Sarah and John, all of whom are de-
ceased.

No children came to Mr. and Mrs. Hudson. The lat-
ter makes her home at No. 211 North Commerce Street.

Alfred Golding. Since 1889 a resident of El Paso,
where for many years he was engaged in the painting
and decorating trade, Mr. Golding in 1904 established
a business as contractor in papering and painting, and
maintains a fine store and office at 110 South Stanton
street. He has the largest business of the kind in the



TEXAS AND TEXANS



city, and is a successful man from the material point
of view and is also a public-spirited citizen and one who
is willing to corroborate in any movement for the ad-
vancement and welfare of El Paso. Alfred Golding is
a native of England, born June 12, 1860, in London.
His father, Alfred Golding, was born in England and
for the greater part of his life was connected with the
railroad service. For twenty-one years he was super-
intendent of the London, Chatham & Dover Eailroad.
He died at Hastings, England, in July, 1907, when
seventy-four years of age. The maiden name of the
mother was Mary Elizabeth Quick, who died at Hast-
ings in January, 1909, also at the age of seventy-four.
She and her husband had been married for fifty-three
years and she was the mother of ten children.

Alfred Golding, the oldest of the family, attained
his education in the public schools of London until he
was fifteen years of age, and then began to prepare for
the practical work of life. He was apprenticed to learn
the painters and decorators' trade, and passed a six-
years' apprenticeship in that work. In July, 1884, when
twenty-four years of age, he came to the "United States
and continued to work at his trade as a journeyman
until 1904, in which year he established his present busi-
ness. He took up his residence in El Paso in September,
1889, and has been here long enough to have witnessed
practically all phases of the growth and improvement
of this city.

In politics Mr. Golding is a Socialist. He has fraternal
relations with the Woodmen of the World and the
Maccabees. In November, 1900, at El Paso, he married
Miss Fannie Alexander, a daughter of Solomon
Alexander, who was born in Baden, Germany. They
are the parents of no children and their home is at 1314
iS'"orth Kansas street, where Mr. Golding owns an at-
tractive home of his own.

Charles G. McDow. A young business man of El
Paso who has made a notable success during the last
few years, Jlr. McDow represents an old family in this
part of the southwest. He was born in Chihuahua,
Mexico, December 18, 1886, a son of Charles L. and
Eefugio (Contreras) McDow. His father was a native
of Illinois, who came to Mexico in an early day, and
became prominent as a cattle man of that country, and
is still living in old Mexico at the age of fifty-four years.
In ilexico he married a member of one of the" well
known old families, and the mother is also still living,
being now forty-two years of age. There were four
children in the family and Charles G. was the oldest.

His early schooling was in the public schools of El
Paso, after which he entered the New Orleans College
of Pharmacy, where he studied up to the junior year
and then entered the University of Illinois, where he
was graduated from the department of pharmacy in
1906. In that year he returned to El Paso and began
work as a licensed pharmacist for Kelly & Pollard, with
whom he continued for four years. Having in the
meantime acquired a thorough practical experience in
the business, and having a small amount of capital, he
established a business and has since built up one of
the best drug houses in the city, with a large local
and outside trade. Mr. McDow has membership in the
Ellianza Hispano Americano Society, the Sociadad
Mutualista la Protectora and the Sociale Catholic
Society. In politics he is independent and is a member
of the Catholic church.

On June 10, 1909, at Juarez, Mexica, Dr. McDow
married Miss Marguerite Rodriguez, daughter of Isadore
and Marguerite Eodriguez, both parents being still resi-
dents in El Paso. The one child born of their union is
D. Wilhelmina, who was born April 14, 1910, in El Paso.
Mr. McDow owns his own home and other property and
though he began his career without influential aid or
capital, has gained a gratifying degree of prosperity.



Hugh S. White, M. D. An El Paso physician and
surgeon of high standing, now serving as county phy-
sician. Dr. White has gained most of his professional
experience in west Texas, and has won a secure place
through his thorough training, his native endowments
and enthusiasm for everything he undertakes.

At Lexington, the county seat of Rockbridge county,
Virginia, Hugh S. White was born on a plantation
October 14, 1875. The family has long been identified
with the Old Dominion, where his parents, Thomas S.
and Sallie (Cameron) White, still live. The old home-
stead is two miles from Lexington and has long been
noted for its well ordered management and as a stock
farm is one of the best known in the county. Its
specialty is fancy imported hogs, and the home is also
characterized for the hospitality that pervades the best
of old Virginia homes. Thomas S. White is an honored
veteran of the war between the states, was twice wounded
and bears scars from his encounters on many fields. He
was for a time under the famous leader, Stonewall
Jackson. As a Democrat he has long taken much part
in local affairs, and is a member of the United Con-
federate Veterans.

The third in a family of five. Dr. White grew up on
a Virginia plantation, went to the public schools in
Lexington, was a student of the Washington and Lee
University in the same city and then began preparation
for his profession in the University Medical College at
Richmond. After his graduation as Doctor of Medicine
in 1900 he acquired valuable clinical experience by one
year spent as interne in the Richmond hospitals.

With this equipment he came into the southwest and
first located at Pecos, in Reeves county. He also prac-
ticed for a time at Toyah, in the same county, and from
there moved in January, 1906, to El Paso, where he
has found a field more in keeping with his abilities.
Dr. White enjoys a large and profitable practice, has
served several years as county physician, is secretary
and treasurer of the El Paso Pasteur Institute, is also
secretary and treasurer of the El Paso County Medical
Society and a member of the Texas State Medical So-
ciety and the American Medical Association. He has
been a student ever since entering practical work, and
has done considerable post-graduate work. He affiliated
with the Knights of Pythias, is a Democrat and a mem-
ber of the Southern Presbyterian church. His wife
is a member of the Episcopal church.

In April, 1909, Dr. White married Miss Annie Perrin
Kemp, who was born and reared in Texas and belongs
to one of the old and well known families of El Paso.
Her parents were Judge Wyndham and Mary Lewis
(Maury) Kemp, who were both from Virginia and early
settlers in Texas. The late Judge Kemp gained large
distinction as a lawyer and judge, and his career is
sketched elsewhere in this publication. Dr. White and
wife have one child, Wyndham Kemp White. Mrs.
White is an active worker in church and society, and
together they take a great deal of pleasure in their
home and in travel, and occasionally return to his old
home in Virginia. Dr. White is a broad-minded and
puldic-spirited citizen and through his profession and
in private lends his support to every movement that
will tend to advance the destiny of western Texas.

Henry C. Trost. All that is most distinctive in the
architecture of El Paso is the product of the skill and
genius of Henry C. Trost, who, in his field, is undoubtedly
the premier architect of the southwest. -During many
years of practical work in the southwestern states and
territory. Mr. Trost has designed and created buildings
which are the most conspicuous in many cities, and which
are characterized by a successful combination of the
utilitarian and the artistic in all their exterior lines
and general arrangement and accomodation of sym-
metry and proportions to practical usefulness. El Paso
is fortunate in possessing this prominent architect, who



TEXAS AND TEXANS



1765



in many ways has been able to influence the standards and
ideals of the business and residence construction of a
permanent beauty and benefit of the community. While
Mr. Trost has always been a diligent student of tradi-
tion in architecture and has followed the old and ap-
proved models, he has never slavishly copied from Jiis
predecessors and contemporaries, often displayed a strik-
ing originality in his conceptions, and has taken into
consideration the surroundings and has endeavored to
harmonize building construction with both the natural
environment and the uses for which it is designed.

Henry Charles Trost was born in the city of Toledo,
Ohio, March 5, 1860, a son of Ernest and Wilhelmina
(Frank) Trost. His parents, both natives of Germany,
came to America in the early fifties and settled in
Toledo, where his father became a successful contractor
and builder. Both parents are now deceased.

Beared in Toledo and with an education derived from
the public schools, Henry C. Trost gained a thorough
working knowledge of his craft from his father and
early evinced special inclination and talent for archi-
tecture, to which he has been devoted as a student and a
practitioner since reaching manhood. At the age of
seventeen he had graduated from an art school and
lad a thorough skill and knowledge of the fundamentals
leading into his profession. During the three years
following his graduation from 'the art school he was
■employed as a draftsman by architects at Toledo and
then at the age of twenty entered upon independent
practice.

Mr. Trost 's first field of independent operations was
in Pueblo, Colorado, where for several years he was the
best equipped and most original architect and designer
in the city. Until he left Pueblo in 1884 his services
were employed in drawing the plans for many of the
test business and public structures erected in those
years. Two years were then spent in travel through
the west and south, and also employed by the state
government of Kansas to design the senate chamber
for the state capitol. This senate chamber has been re-
.garded as one of the best in exterior lines and internal
arrangement among all buildings of its purpose and
kind in the country, and it did not a little toward estab-
lishing Mr. Trost 's permanent reputation as an architect.
When it was completed in 1885 he traveled in various
•other states for a time and in 1886 opened an office
lor practice in Chicago, which was his home for twelve
years, and a considerable list might be drawn up of his
work in that western metropolis.

From Chicago Mr. Trost again went west and after
about a year in Colorado Springs moved to Tucson,
Arizona, which was then one of the most thriving towns
in the entire southwest. In a short time he had acquired
a large practice as an architect, extending through
many cities besides Tucson. Architecturally considered
Tucson in all its modern aspects is practically the crea-
tion of Mr. Trost 's genius, and during his residence
there he made many handsome additions, including the
"buildings for the University of Arizona, the Carnegie
Library, the finest hotel in the city and many other
notable buildings. It was in Tucson that he established
a reputation since maintained for thorough and beautiful
work. His home was in the Arizona city for six years
and on moving to El Paso he organized the firm of Trost
& Trost, comprising Henry C. Trost and his two brothers,
G. A. Trost and A. G. Trost, and their nephew, G. E.
Trost.

El Paso is deservedly proud of its many fine and
handsome buildings, business blocks, its churches, schools
and libraries and other semi-public institutions, and its
residences. It is not too much to say that Mr. Trost
lias drawn the plans for practically the better class of
iDuildings in El Paso since he located in that city, and
the harmonious architectural lines which visitors com-
ment upon with admiration are due to his work. Among



Online LibraryFrancis White JohnsonA history of Texas and Texans (Volume 4) → online text (page 55 of 177)