Francis White Johnson.

A history of Texas and Texans (Volume 4) online

. (page 58 of 177)
Online LibraryFrancis White JohnsonA history of Texas and Texans (Volume 4) → online text (page 58 of 177)
Font size
QR-code for this ebook


as mayor. Mayor Fisher is always accessible to citizens
of Galveston and in every way is really the head of the
city administration. Outside of his profession and his
official affairs, he is well known auii prominent in social
circles. Judge Fisher has attained to the thirty-second
degree of Scottish Rite Masonry, and belongs to Tucker
Lodge, No. 297, A. F. & A. M., of Galveston; El Miua
Temple of the Mystic Shrine, and the Texas consistory,
Xo. 1, of CJalveston. He is also affiliated with Humbohlt
Lodge, No. 9, K. of P., being past chancellor of the
same, and member and past exalted ruler of Galveston
Lodge, No. 126, B. P. O. E. *He belongs to the Galves-
ton Commercial Association and the Cialveston Garten
Verein.

In 1901 Judge Fisher married Miss May Masterson, a
daughter of Branch T. Masterson of Galveston. Her ma-
ternal grandfather was Wilmer Dallam, who is distin-
guished as having prepared the first digest of the laws
of Texas, known to all lawyers as "Dallam's Digest."
Lewis Fisher and wife are the parents of four children :
Lewis Dallam Fisher, Wilmer Rollins Fisher, May Mas-
terson Fisher, and Rebecca Branch Fisher. Their resi-
dence in Galveston is at 1703 Thirty-First Street.



the field of civil, com-
n.e law, Harry Phillip
iiin at the bar of Waco.
ry and Masonic affairs,

r. li.Miiu the representa-
n till' Iryislature of the
a''liii'\rnients have been
'.I :i^ MM,, of his city's



He .s aK,, ,,r ,„,.nt n, n

and is well known in imbli

tive of the Sixty-first Distr

state. Still a young man.

noteworthy and he is reri>

virile and helpful citizens, wliu li:i- .mi .li^^iilayed a

conscientious regard for fin- i.s|,.,i(~ilMliti. s ,,f .-'itizen-

ship and the highest ideals .if Ins l.'ain.'.l .alliiiL;.

ilr. Jordan was born at Warnnyt.ui, Virginia, Feb-
ruary 16, 1875, and is a son of Powhatan and Bertie
(Edwards) Jordan. His father, a native of Portsmouth,
Virginia, born in 1827, was a well known physician and
surgeon of Virginia, where he practiced for many years,
and in 1876 was appointed federal quarantine officer
at New Orleans, being an expert along the line of
yellow fever and smallpox. He remained in the Louis-
iana city until Issl. in which year he came to Texas
aii.l istriMisli,.,! Iiiiii^.lt in practice at Beaumont, where
he .■..i.tiiiiii'.l t.i ivsi.l,. until his death in 1904. He was
wiil.iy anil favniably known in his profession and be-
came a prosperous man of his community. Doctor Jor-
dan was married (first) to Bertie Edwards, who was
born at Tallapoosa, Alabama, in 1844, and she died
in 1877, the mother of four children: Lena, who is
deceased; Charles, who died in 1891, at the age of
twenty-three years; Otelia, who married Pat C. Byrne,
a merchant at Duncan, Oklahoma ; and Harry Phillip,



1772



TEXAS AND TEXANS



of this review. Doctor Jordan was married (second) in
1885 to Miss Ada Hoskins, who died without issue in
1890.

Harry Phillip Jordan was educated in the public
schools of Beaumont and at Beaumont Academy, follow-
ing which he took a course in civil engineering at the
Texas Agricultural and Mechanical College and was
graduated from that college in 1S95, with the degree of
B. C. E. He next took up the study of law as a student
in the University of Texas, from which he was grad-
uated in 1898, with the degree of LL. B., and in that
same year was admitted to the bar and established him-
self in practice at Waco, where he has offices at No.
801 Amicable building. He has steadily advanced in
the ranks of his calling, and in his special lines of civil,
corporation, insurance and commercial law has been
connected with a number of noted cases. The corpora-
tion lawyer who would win a full measure of success
must not only be an alert and broad member of his pro-
fession, but a keen and far-seeing business man. His is
pre-eminently the domain of practical law, in which
solid logic and hard fact, fertility of resource and vigor
of professional treatment are usually relied upon, rather
than ingenious tneory and grace of oratory. Mr. Jor
dan is possessed of these traits in marked degree. That
he is a successful business man is shown by his con-
nection as stockholder and director in the Texas Fidelity
and Bonding Company and stockholder in the Guarantee
and Trust Company, the McKnight Sundries Company
and the White Rock Sand and Gravel Company, and he
is also the owner of much realty in Waco, including his
residence at No. 2021 Austin avenue and about twelve
other pieces of business and residence property. Politi-
cally a Democrat, he was secretary of the Democratic
county executive committee for several years, was as-
sistant county attorney from 1898 until 1902, and in
1912 was elected to the legislature of the state to rep-
resent the Sixty-first district, from McLennan county.
For twenty years a member of the Texas National
Guard, in 1913 he was elected colonel of his regiment,
and he also takes a keen interest in Masonry, being a
thirty-second degree Mason, a Knights Templar and a
Shriner. He belongs to the Young Men's Business
League and the Chamber of Commerce, and has associ-
ated himself with other earnest and progressive citi?ens
in forwarding movements for the betterment of busi-
ness conditions. With his family, he attends the Epis-
copal church.

On June 9, 1908, Mr. Jordan was married at Waco
to Miss Vera Higginson, daughter of Cyrus H. Higgin-
son, a planter of Waco, and to this union there have
been born two children, namely: Margaret, who was
born August 20, 1909; and Harry Phillip, Jr., born
May 18, 1912.

Bertrad Adoue. For more than forty years probably
no name in all Texas was more thoroughly significant of
business ability and finest commercial integrity than that
of Adoue. In the early years of railroad extension after
the war the late Bertrad Adoue 's mercantile enterprise
followed the line of the Houston & Texas Central north-
ward. He then concentrated his efforts at Galveston,
where in the financial and wholesale district there was
no more familiar figure. The world admires the success-
ful business builder, but admiration becomes honor and
esteem when the proceeds of commerce are diverted .iu-
diciously to the welfare of the community. Probably no
citiyen of Galveston was more quietly efScient in his
business undertakings, and his broad philanthropy was
characterized by the same spirit. Few distinctive mon-
uments proclaim his beneficence, but those who have
some familiarity with practical charities and the larger
institutions which are conspicuous in that city are well
aware of the sturdy helpfulness afforded by Mr. Adoue
during his lifetime and his valuable bequests at his



death. He was one of Galveston 's finest business lead-
ers and most loyal friend.

Bertrad Adoue was born near Aurignac, France, Sep-
tember 9, 1841, and died when past seventy, November
17, 1911. Educated in France, he came to the United
States in 1859, first locating in New Orleans. In 1863
he went to Brownsville, Texas, where he was engaged in
the general merchandise business. In 1866 was formed
the partnership with Joseph Lobit, an association which
has been one of the oldest and closest in the commercial
history of the state. This partnership was continued
until the death of Mr. Adoue, forty-five years later,
the firm name being Adoue & Lobit. They were at first
engaged in general merchandising at Bryan and at other
places along the Houston & Central Texas Railroad
while that road was being slowly extended northward
from Houston. As the road progressed and new towns
were established, they also moved their store, and thus
afforded their mercantile facilities as pioneers in a num-
ber of now thriving cities in central and north Texas.
In 1874, the railroad in the meantime having been com-
pleted to Dallas, the partners moved to Galveston, and in
1875 discontinued the general merchandise business, en-
gaging exclusively in banking. As bankers, the firm of
Adoue & Lobit is one of the oldest in the financial dis-
trict of Galveston, and its connections extended to all
the fianeial centers of the world. At the death of Mr.
Adoue, in 1911, the other partner, Mr. Lobit, retired
from active business.

The late Bertrad Adoue was not only very promi-
nently identified with business in Galveston, but was also
one of the public-spirited citizens. He was president of
the Texas Brewers Association, was president of the G.tI-
veston Brewing Company, active vice president of the
Lone Star Brewing Company of San Antonio, active
vice president of the American Brewing Assn. of Hous-
ton, president of the Galveston Maritime Association for
many years until his death, was president of the Galves-
ton Dry Goods Company, a member of the firm of Mistrot
Brothers & Company of Galveston, vice president of the
Lasker Real Estate Association of Galveston, and first
vice president of the Galveston Hotel Company.

His activities in connection with enterprises, either of
public or semi-public nature, were equally notable. He
was for a numljer of years a member of the Galveston
Deep Water Committee. He was president of the Oster-
man Widows & Orphans Fimd, and for many years
served as vice consul for Sweden. At his death he left
many bequests, among which may be mentioned the fol-
lowing: A fund to enable ward' patients at St. Mary's
Infirmary to have private rooms where necessary for
their comfort and benefi't ; a fund to Trinity church of
Galveston to be used liy the rector in a nonsectarian
manner as he sees fit. Mr. Adoue owned consi<ler;i'
property in his native country of France, and this, coi"-
prising'farms and improvements valued at about twenty
thous.nnd dollars, was left to his native town to be used
for charitable purposes. His most notable bequest was
for the erection and maintenance in Galveston of a sea-
men 's bethel. This practical charity has been establishol
and was presented bv his familv to the board of trustees
of the Seaman's Friend Society on June 9, 1913. The
fund for the maintenance of this institution, at the
latest report, amounted to fourteen thousand dollars.
The dedication and presentation of the bethel made one
of the interesting events in the history of Galveston pub-
lic institutions, and, as the scope and value of the philan-
thropy mav not be thoroughly appreciated by a great
many" peonle living in Texas,"the following paragraphs
are quoted from the principal address of the evening, de-
livered by an eminent New York social worker and official
in the American Seaman 's Friend Society. This speaker
described the purposes of the local Bethel as follows:

"Three things this house stands for— a house of ref-
uge, a house of happiness, and a house of worship. As
a house of refuge, it will shelter between thirty-five



TEXAS AND TEXANS



1773



thousand and forty thousand of the birds of passage we
call sailors who annually visit this port, natives of all
nations, brought to your doors from all the seven seas.
You've built a splendid place for a house of refuge.

' ' As a house of happiness, it embodies the things de-
sired by the sailor folk — those people who are made with
a ' wanting heart ' — wanting those things which are com-
mon to you, but far too uncommon to them. 1 'm glad
you built the interior and made it bright and cheerful.
The sailor doesn 't want your dim, religious light when
he gets ashore. He gets all the dim, religious lights he
wants in his dim and none too religious f o 'e 'sle. Put
yourselves in the sailor's place. You'll understand his
joy in this house that is going to bring joy to the hearts
of thousands of sailors. What a sailor wants when he
comes ashore isn 't a prayer meeting. 'Way out yonder
on the sea, when the sun has been blazing hotly, he has
promised himself a long, cool drink the minute he gets
ashore. He 's human. When he lands, and steps off the
dock, there the saloon confronts him. It's bright. His
fo'c's'le hasn't been bright. There's a piano — out of
tune. What does that matter when he hasn 't for weeks
seen a piano? There are the foaming steins of ale;
there are the mahogany sandwiches, over which the flies
disport themselves. But the ale looks good to him, even
if it isn't good for him; and who cares for a few flies
when he has been shaking the weevils out of his food?
That's why I'm glad this bethel is bright and cheerful.

"And, lastly, this place is to be a house of worship.
Kipling say that ' single men who live in barracks don 't
grow into plaster saints. ' They don 't. Neither do sin-
gle men who live in forecastles. But 'way down, under-
neath the rugged exterior, 'way beyond speech, in the
sailor's heart, is an appreciation of religion. And here
he shall be taught the alphabet of religion. Every sailor
is a man under authority. At sea or elsewhere you can 't
do anything with a man who won 't obey. And if a man
has been trained to obey his God, he'll obey his ship-
master. ' '

In considering the career of the late Mr. Adoue it
should not be forgotten that his success was almost en-
tirely the result of his individual efforts, beginning at a
time when he was a boy. With an energy and ability
much above the ordinary, he won a large success, and
always honorably and in such a way that he continiieil
to enjoy the esteem of his community to the closing
years of his life. His charitable work was conspicuous
for his breadth and nonsectarian character. To the
Catholic hospitals, to the Episcopal church, to the Sea-
men, and to his native town, while his personal unre-
corded philanthropies were probably never influenced by
any consideration of race or creed.

The late Bertrad Adoue married Miss Albert ine
Schneider of New Orleans. Mrs. Adoue, who survives
her husband, is the mother of four children, as follows :
Bertrad C, deceased; Pauline Eliza, who married G. F.
McFarland of Toronto, Canada; Louis A., and Mimie
Elaine of Galveston. The family home is at 1526 Post
Oflice Street.

Louis A. Adoue, the only surviving son, since his fa-
ther 's death has taken over many of the large business
afi'airs associated with the name. He is a member of the
firm of Mistrot Brothers & Company, now known as Mis-
trot & Adoue, wholesale dry goods. He is vice president
of the Galveston Brewing Company, vice president of the
Lasker Real Estate Association, vice president of the
American Indemnity Company of Galveston, is a member
of the Galveston Deepwater Committee, a trustee of the
Rosenberg Library, and is vice consul for Sweden.

Hon. Robert G. Street. Probably no member of the
Texas bar still in active practice is more widely known
over the state and throughout the south than Judge
Street, for more than ten years judge of the fifty-sixth
diitrict court, and a member of the Galveston bar since
1866. During his career on the bench his district has had



the satisfaction of knowing the judicial functions wera
being discharged with a degree of human and technical
understanding that rarely comes to the public service.
Judge Street is an able lawyer, a citizen whose career
has in many places touched the public, and always bene-
ficially, and, besides his other services, has contributed
at least two important works to the literature of law.

Robert Gould Street was born in Greensboro, Alabama,
December 12, 1843, a son of John Vernon and Elizabeth
(Torrenee) Street. A Virginian by birth, his father was
a prominent physician, and engaged in practice in Ala-
bama until his death, in 1854. The mother was a native
of North Carolina, and died at Galveston in 1910, at the
age of ninety-four years.

From the private schools of Alabama, Judge Street en-
tered the University of Alabama, and was in his junior
year when the war between the states came on. Enlisting
as a Confederate soldier, he first served in Company I of
the Twentieth Alabama Infantry, and later in Company
H of the Fifty-First Alabama Cavalry. His highest
rank was that of Sergeant Major. He went through the
war from beginning to end; was out of active service
nearly two years on account of imprisonment. On June
27, 1863, at Shelbyville, Tennessee, he was captured, and
was confined at Fort Delaware until March, 1865. When
the war was over, he went home and found work as a
school teacher. Taking up the study of law, he was pe-
culiarly fortunate in choosing his preceptor. His guide
in his law studies was his colonel during the war, John
T. Morgan, whose name in later years was one of the
most familiar in national affairs, through his splendid
work as United States senator from Alabama. Under
Gen. Morgan he continued his studies, and, on examina-
tion before the Supreme court of Alabama, was admitted
to the bar in 1866.

In the following year Judge Street located at Galves-
ton, and has now been a member of the local bar for
forty-five years. His first important public service was
as a member of the Texas State Senate, to which he was
elected in 1880, and served one term. In 1902 Mr.
Street was elected district judge of the Fifty-Sixth Dis-
trict. His first term ran to 1908, when he was re-
elected, and in 1912 he was again elected. For many
years Judge Street has been considered an authority on
several branches of legal learning, and his writings have
also been frequent on general economic subjects. He has
been a regular contributor to the law magazines and has
delivered many addresses on political, legal, and social
topics. With his name on the title page as author and
compiler, was published in 1909 "The Law and Personal
Injuries in Texas," a work familiar to every Texas at-
torney and a specially noteworthy publication, in that
it was the first treatise on the subject from the stand-
point of one state. Mr. Street is also editor of the
sixth edition of "Shearman & Redfield on Negligence."
Those and other contributions to the science of law and
sociology have made Judge Street's name familiar to
thousands of lawyers and students outside of his home
city.

Judge Street has been a member of the Texas State
Bar Association since its organization. His membership
in the American Bar Association dates back to 1881. He
is an honorary member of the Galveston County Bar As-
sociation, and is an active member of the American
Economic Association, the American Political Science
Association, and the American Social Science Associa-
tion. Fraternally, he is associated with the Temple
of Honor, and in politics is an active Democrat.

In 1868 Judge Street married Miss Maria Ethelvide
Lauve, daughter of Omer Lauve of New Orleans. Mrs.
Street died in 1880, and their five children have also
passed away. Judge Street resides at 1704 Avenue K, in
Galveston.

James B. Stubbs. For more than forty years a mem-
ber of the Galveston bar, Mr. Stubbs easily stands in



1774



TEXAS AND TEXANS



the very front rank of his profession in his home city,
and in commercial, corporation, and admiralty law stands
second to none in the state in ability and successful ex-
perience. Very few of the present Galveston bar were
practicing here when Mr. Stubbs opeued his office and
earned his first fees, and his reputation for ability and
success has kept pace with the advancing years in prac-
, tice.

James B. Stubbs, who has lived in Galveston since he
was three years of age, was born at Montgomery, Ala-
bama, August 28, 1850, a son of Theodore B. and Ellen
A. (Kirkpatrick) Stubbs. Moving to Galveston in 1853,
Theodore B. Stubbs began a long career as a successful
merchant. As a business man and citizen, he stood high
in the community, and also left an honored record as a
soldier. He served as colonel of the First Texas Volun-
teers during the war, and was a volunteer on one of the
steamers wliich took part in the capture of Galveston
from the Fi'deral forces on January 1, 1863. His death
occurred JIarch 26, 1896. The mother of James B.
Stubbs died in Alabama in 1852.

The literary education of Mr. Stubbs was completed
at Pass Christian College, in Mississippi, where he was
graduated with the degree of A. M., and from that insti-
tution he entered the Washington and Lee University of
Lexington, Virginia, where he was graduated in the law
with the degree of LL. B. In 1872 Mr. Stubbs was ad-
mitted to the bar at Galveston, and in the same year took
up active practice. In later years his work as a lawyer
has been almost entirely confined to commercial, corpora-
tion, and admiralty practice, and in these lines he is one
of the best attorneys in the entire south. Mr. Stubbs is
senior member of the firm of James B. and Charles J.
Stubbs, counselors-atdaw, with offices at 212 22nd Street.
Along with a large practice as a lawyer, Mr. Stubbs
has for many years been prominent in political and civic
affairs. In 1881 he was chosen to the state senate.
Since 190-t he has been chairman of the Democratic
county executive committee, and since 1908 has been a
member of the Democratic state executive committee.
From 1882 to 1885 he was city attorney, and held the
same office from 1899 to 1901. In his profession he has
been equally honored, and in 1902 was president of the
Texas Bar Association. During 1910-11 he was presi-
dent of the Galveston Bar Association.

In Masonic circles he has had an active part for more
than forty years. He received his degrees as a Master
Mason in Harmony Lodge, No. 6, A. F. & A. M., at Gal-
veston, on September 9, 1872, and is a past master of
that lodge. He also has membership in the Grand Lodge
of Texas. In the York Rite he is a member of San Fe-
lipe de Austin ( li,i|,t,T, \o. 1, ^R. A. M. In the Scottish
Eite he has takrn tlnri\ iwn degrees, and belongs to all
the Scottish Rite ImhIhs, iiirliiding the Texas Consistory,
No. 1, at Galvestua, and El ilinah Temple of the Mystic
Shrine. Mr. Stubbs also affiliates with Oleander Lodge,
No. 5, Knights of Pythias.

In 1876 occurred his first marriage, and in 1901 he
married his present wife. His two children are: .Tames
B. Jr. and Janie A., widow of James B. Maupin of
Washington. D. C. The Stubbs home is at 1724 Twenty-
first Street.

Albert L. Anderson, M. D. Among the medical men
of Brown county, Texas, one who has won desen-ed dis-
tinction as a practitioner in diseases of ' the eye, ear,
nose, and throat is Dr. Albert L. Anderson of Brown-
wood. Although he has been located here only since
1906, the recognition of his high attainments has at-
tracted to him a large and representative practice. ■
among his professional lirethren he has gained an envi-
able reputation for his strict observance of the ethics of
his calling. He is a Texan by nativity and training,
having been bom at Marshall. Harrison county. February
19, 1867, and is a son of William V. andAsha E. An-
iderson. •-



The Anderson family is of Scotch descent and was
founded in Texas many years ago, the father of Doctor
Anderson having been born in this state. He was reared
to agricultural puisuits, and the family owned numerous
slaves prior to the war between the North and the South.
In that struggle William V. Anderson enlisted as a Con-
federate soldier and served tliroughout the war, making
a record as a gallant and faithful soldier. Although he
was wounded at Frankliu, Cuuilierland Gap, and in a
minor engagement, he never asked for nor received a fur-
lough. Upon liis return from the war, he again took up
farming and stnrk raisiiii;, settling in Hopkins county,
and still rosi.Irs m tlie vicinity of Sulphur Springs and
carries on uperatiuus, being remarkably active for his
seventy-tive years. His wife, also a native of Texas, <1
about the year 1886, having been the mother of eight
children, of whom Doctor Anderson was the first-born.

Allii'it 1,. Aihli'isnii received his early education in the
pulilir mImmiI- ,if Tex.;^. :iii(l subsequently went to Central
College, at Snl|ilrii S|ii iiiys. Following this, he was en-
gage.! in teaeliiiiy s.hnnl in Hopkius county until 1892,
when he entered the University of Texas, at Galveston,
and was graduated in 1S96 with his medical degree. His
first field of practice was the city of Eddy, McLennan
county. Init after ten years there came to Brownwood
anil est.iMislieil himself in a general practice, which he
suii-esstiilly r.inied on until 1911. In that year he gave
up his yiiieial practice to devote himself exclusively to
the treatment of diseases of the eye, ear, nose, and
throat, and as a specialist along this line has gained
wide distinction. With the acquirement of his degree.
Doctor Anderson did not give up his studies, but has
continued to be a most assiduous student and each year



Online LibraryFrancis White JohnsonA history of Texas and Texans (Volume 4) → online text (page 58 of 177)