Francis White Johnson.

A history of Texas and Texans (Volume 4) online

. (page 6 of 177)
Online LibraryFrancis White JohnsonA history of Texas and Texans (Volume 4) → online text (page 6 of 177)
Font size
QR-code for this ebook


seen in his rejection of the attempted deposit of the
spurious Pacific railroad bonds, which would have con-
stituted an onerous burden upon the people for many
years to come. In other ways he saved the state large
sums of money.

Governor Pease always acted with the Democratic
party until the policy of secession drove him out of its
ranks in 1861. In his opinion, nothing in the situation
of affairs justified the secession movement, and it was
viewed by him as opening a sure path to disaster and
humiliation. Though opposing secession and occupying
much the same high ground as Sam Houston, Governor
Pease continued a resident of Texas throughout the war,
but was not active in public affairs. After its close
he subsequently was affiliated for the greater jiart with
the Republican party. In 1867 came his appointment
as provisional governor of the state by the military
authorities, an office which he held until 1869. His resigna-
tion at the latter date was the result of the difference
of opinion between him and the commander of the dis-
trict in regard to the re organization of the state govern-
ment. A few years later, in 1872, Governor Pease
represented Texas in the convention at Cincinnati which
nominated Horace Greeley for president. In 1874 the
office of collector of the port of Galveston was offered
him by Secretary Bristow under the Grant administra-
tion, but was declined; however, in 1879, he accepted
the same position when it was tendered him by President
Hayes, and his official administration as collector of the
Galveston port was his last public service. He was one
of the organizers of the First National Bank of Austin,
and took an active part in its management as vice
president until his death.

G. W. Pease died at Lampasas on August 26, 1883.
There survives him one daughter, Julia M. Pease, who
lives in the old homestead in Austin.

Governor Pease had intellectual talents of a high
order. JIuch of his success, especially in the law, was
due to his ready perception of the basic principles and
the gist of any proposition. An ability to act in accord-
ance with the promptings of his sound judgment was
also an important element in his public life. While
defferential to the opinions of others, and in affairs of
state often submitting his course of action to a council
of advisers. Governor Pease was noted for his independ-
ence and his course of action was usually his own, and
not the product of the judgment of others. As a lawyer,
these qualities naturally made him a safe counselor. His
conclusions were the result of a deep and patient search
for truth, sustained by a calm, impartial and discriminat-
ing mind, and his views, once formulated, were maintained
with honesty and candor to the end. It is said that few
lawyers of his time were more expert in determining the
merit of a case upon proper statement of the facts, and
he would never advise fruitless or doubtful litigation,
but made it a rule to instruct his clients to accept a bad
compromise rather than a successful suit without prac-
tical advantage.

His briefs were clear, fair and logical, and revealed a



TEXAS AND TEXANS



1611



cli which placed to his advantage every
legal resource. However, it was noteworthy that he
would never seek nor accept any undue or unfair ad-
vantage over his opponent. Chief Justice Wheeler once
said that the statement of the facts in his briefs were
always so lucid and just that he could rely upon them
without reference to the record.

He was honest and steadfast in his political convic-
tions. In private and social life Governor Pease was con-
genial, generous and kind-hearted, and his home was
the seat of a flowing and generous hospitality.

Governor Pease was married in 1S50 to Miss L. C.
Niles of Windsor, Connecticut. After his death she
maintained at her home near Austin the hospitality
which during his lifetime had welcomed friends to a
generous board. In conclusion, it can be said that Gov-
ernor Pease in all the relations of his long life made the
Golden Rule his motto. He was a model husband, father
and friend, and above all an honest man and a true
patriot. The record of his public services form some
of the brightest pages of Texas history, and it is not
one to be soon forgotten and in succeeding generations
is likely to receive even truer and better appreciation
than it has in the past.

Simon J. Claek, M. D. Among the younger mem-
bers of the medical fraternity who are rapidly winning
their way upward to positions of eminence in their chosen
calling, few have gained the distinction already attained
by Dr. Simon J. Clark, already recognized as one of
the leading eye, ear, nose and throat specialists in the
state. He was born July 21, 1882, at Titusville, Penn-
sylvania, and is a son of William and Mary (Nesbit)
Clark, both of whom are now residents of Nocona, Texas,
to which point they came from the East in 1890. Wil-
liam Clark, who is now engaged in the real estate busi-
ness and is known as one of his adopted community's
substantial citizens, is a veteran of the Civil War,
through which he served as a member of the Second
Regiment, New York Volunteer Infantry.

Although born in the East, Doctor Clark is by nurture
and training a son of the Southwest, for he was but
three years of age when he was brought to Texas by his
parents and here he grew to sturdy and self-reliant man-
hood. His early education was secured in the graded
and high schools of Nocona, Texas, following which he
prepared for his medical career, for which he had shown
a natural inclination from boyhood. After his gradua-
tion from the medical department of the University of
Texas, in 1907, he spent two and one-half years in the
Manhattan Eye, Ear, Nose and Throat Hospital, at
New York City, and for one year thereafter was asso-
ciated with Doctors Wood and Alport, of Chicago, the
former being acknowledged as one of the greatest eye
specialists to be found in the world. Doctor Clark estab-
lished himself in practice at Austin in 1912, and this city
has since been the field of his labors and the scene of his
many successes, and he has rapidly advanced towards
the ieaders in his special line. Indeed, it is claimed that
at this time he controls the largest professional business
of any eye, ear, nose and throat specialist in the city,
although Doctor Clark is a very modest and unassuming
man and prefers to let his accomplishments speak for
themselves. However, his many friends are confident in
their assertions that if past achievements may be taken
as a criterion of future performances his name will be
known not alone locally, but nationally. He continues
to be a constant and assiduous student, attendino- lectures.
subscribing to the best literature of the profession, and
being an active and interested member of the Austin
Medical Society, the Texas State Medical Society and
the American Medical Association. He maintains offices
at No. 402 Scarborough Building.

Doctor Clark is unmarried. He is popular in social
circles of the city, belonging to the Austin Rotary Club,
and is also a valued member of the Masons, Austin Lodge



No. 12. His religious connection is with the Presby-
terian church, in the work of which he has taken an
active interest. His home is located at No. 205 East
Ninth street. Although Doctor Clark's practice has
been oi such a nature as to preclude the idea of his
entering actively into public matters, he has ever shown
a commendable public spirit and has assisted in move-
ments which have made for the betterment of the com-
munity, thus showing himself one of Austin's helpful
citizens.

Dee Davls. Mr. Davis is sheriff and tax collector of
one of the most orderly counties of Texas. He was
reared on a ranch in Sterling county, and has been
known to the citizenship of this section for a number of
years as a progressive and capable young citizen.

Dee Davis was born October 23, 1885, in McLennan
county, Texas, a son of Henry and Fannie E. Davis,
now of Sterling City, where his father, who has been
a successful ranchman, is now engaged in the loan busi-
ness. He came from Missouri to Texas, settling in
McLennan county, and there are several families of the
Davis name in Missouri, where Grandfather Davis was a
slaveholder before the war, and the result of that con-
flict impoverished him as it did so many other southern
planters.

The third in a family of nine children, Dee Davis
was educated in the public schools of Sterling City,
where he has been a resident since childhood. After
graduating from the high school he took up work as a
cowbo.y on a ranch, and is thoroughly familiar with the
chief industry of West Texas. For three years he served
as deputy to Sheriff John B. Ayers, ami in November,
1912, was elected to the office of sheriff and tax col-
lector, his candidacy having received the approval of
the people not only because of his personal popularity,
but because of his previous excellent record as deputy.
He gave bond and took charge of the office on November
18, 1912. Since he took charge, as one of the duties
of his office, of the county .jail, only three prisoners have
been confined in that structure, two Mexicans and one
white man. There has never been a murder in Sterling
county since its organization in 1892. These facts show
the high character of the citizenship of this locality.

Mr. Davis has always been a stanch Democrat, and
has been one of the interested workers for party welfare
since he was able to cast his first vote. He is affiliated
with the Masonic order and has taken the Royal Arch
degrees.



Benjamin F. Bellows. Thirty-seven years a resi-
dent of Texas, Mr. Bellows has enjoyed prosperity as a
business man in this state, and is one of the men who
has helped develop the southwest county. As a young
man he lived in the northeastern states and is a veteran
of the Civil war.

Benjamin F. Bellows was born at Granville. New York,
.Tune 20, 1844, a son of Levi D. and Hannah M. Bellows.
He resided in New York state most of his years up to
1876, in which year he came to Texas. His early educa-
tion was in the schools of his native state, finishing in
the high school at Troy, and on leaving school he took
up the carpenter and builders trade. That was his
regular occupation until he left New York. During the
sixties he went to Massachusetts to take up some work
there, and while in that state enlisted in the army and
spent two years as a soldier of the Union. After the
war he returned to New York and in 1876 came to the
southwest and located in Bandera county, which con-
tinued to be his home for about twenty years. During
that time he was engaged principally in the sheep busi-
ness, and is one of the pioneer sheep men of the county
which was then, as well as now, to a considerable extent,
noted for its great sheep herds. In Bandera county
Atv. Bellows built a little town of Medina. He was
a pioneer in enterprise in this locality, and erected the



1612



TEXAS AND TEXANS



first cotton gin in Bandera county, and brought in
the first steam engine operated witbin the limits of that
county. Finall.y ill health and overwork compelled him
to sell out all "his holdings there, after which he spent
a time in travel for recuperation, and finally located at
Sonora in Sutton county. Here he has since been en-
gaged in the lumber business, carrying a complete line
of building material, and having an extensive retail
business throughout this section of the state. Mr. Bel-
lows in line with his early occupation, also follows con-
tracting and building. It is said that he has erected
more than one-half of all the buildings in Sonora and
vicinity.

Mr. Bellows was married at Woburn, Massachusetts,
October, 1867, to Miss Elizabeth M. Powle, daughter of
Luke Fowle and wife of Woburn. Tour children have
been born to their union, two sons and two daughters,
namely: May and Warren, both now deceased; Hattie
M., wife of J. J. North, a resident of Sonora; and Albert
P., who is married and lives in Sonora. Mrs. Bellows
is an active worker in the Baptist church and her hus-
band is a liberal contributor to all religious and benevo-
lent enterprises. He is affiliated with the Blue Lodge aud
Chapter of Masonry, and is a member and at one time
was president of the Sonora business men 's club. He
and his wife are very fond of travel, and he has used
a portion of the competence gained by his many years of
business and industry in traveling throughout the state
and enjoying the pleasures of all the noted resorts.

Edwin E. Sawyer. A resident of Sonora, Mr. Saw-
yer's interests are so extensive in banking and general
financial circles that he is actually identified with some
four or five towns and cities- of western Texas. He
has had an unusually successful career. At the age of
fourteen years he began for himself in farm labor, a few
years later obtained a position in a shoe factory, and
at the age of twenty-two came to Texas and engaged
in the cattle business, which was the foundation for his
present large and generous prosperity.

Edwin E. Sawyer is a native of the state of Maine,
and all his people have been New Englanders. He was
born at Stillwater, May 10, 18.55, a son of Enos and
Frances Sawyer, both of whom were born in Maine.
He received a good common school education in the pub-
lie schools of his native state and then started in the
meat and poultry business in his native state, at Still-
water, but this venture resulted in his financial ruin
and prompted him to come to Texas, where he arrived
in .Tanuary, 1877. He first located in Bandera county,
where he lived for about ten years, and was actively
connected with the stock and ranching industry. He
next transferred liis operations to Kerr county, where
he continued as a rancher for about eight years, and
then in 1896 came to Sutton county and bought the Fort
Terrett Ranch. After more than thirty years of enter-
prise as a rancher and stock farmer, he sold out his
interests in that business in 1909. He is still the owner,
however, of a large amount of real estate property, in
different sections of the state.

In banking affairs, Mr. Sawyer has been particularly
prominent for some years. In 1911 he bought an inter-
est in the First National Bank of Del Rio, and has been
its president since that time. He is also a ^tock holder
and director in the First National Bank of Sonora, is
one of the organizers and stock holders of the Commer-
cial National Bank of El Paso; was one of the original
promoters and is now a stock holder in the Oit'zens Bank
and Trust Coninany of San Antonio; and nlfo o"-,is a
large share of the stock in the Del Rio Bank and Trust
Company.

]\Tr. Sawyer has been twice married. He was married
at Fort Terrett to Miss Certrude Brown, who died in
1907 at the asre of twenty-seven. At M:ixt5eld. Maine, in
September, 1012, Mr. Sawver married Miss Mae Clough,
a daughter of Mr. and Mrs. H. Clough of Newport, "Ver-



mont. Mr. Sawyer affiliates with the Knights of Pythias
aud the Elks, and has no regular membership in church,
but gives his support to all denominations alike. In poli-
tics he is independent. For his diversions he finds much
pleasure in fishing, and is the owner of automobiles
both for business and pleasure. Mr. Sawyer believes
that for stock raising and for modern stock farming
western Texas stands above any other section of country
in the United States, and in addition to this possible
feature of the country, it possesses an almost ynequal
climate.

CuFFOED E. Heffler. Among the active and pro-
gressive business men of the city of El Paso, Clifford
K. Heffler holds a prominent place. Starting out to earn
his own living wheu he was only a lioy he has steadily
forged to the front, gathering experience and profiting
by this experience as he went along. He has lived in
many parts of the world and as a member of the United
States hospital corps he had the inestimable benefit of
service in foreign countries and of contact with men
of many kinds. All of which gave him a broad view of
the world and his popularity in El Paso is due rather
to his geniality and splendid character than to his busi-
ness success.

Clifford E. Heffler was born in Boston, Massachusetts,
on the 8th of June, 1872. His father is Captain Edward
Heffler, who has been in the service of the Canadian
government for thirty years. He has been in the revenue
service and is a well known resident of Halifax, Nova
Scotia, where he and his wife, Annie Heffler, have lived .
for many years. Clifford E. Heifler received his educa- I
tion in the public schools of Boston, Massachusetts, for i
a time being a student at one of the city high schools. 1
He had to leave school at the age of fourteen and he
entered the employ of the Maverick Drug Company, of
Boston. He rose steadily in the estimation of his em-
ployees and made a remarkable success for a young boy,
for he was at one time manager of one of their branch I
stores. He remained in the employ of this drug com- I
pany for about six years and although the future held j
out bright prospects for him, he determined to go into i
the hospital service. He enlisted when he was about
twenty-one years of age, in the Massachusetts Hospital
Corps and served through the Spanish American war,
being detailed for duty in the Philippines. When he was
mustered out of the volunteer service, the interest and
fascination of the service had taken so strong a hold
that he enlisted in the regular hospital corps of the
ITnited States army, and served about two and a half i
years. Part of this time he was stationed in the "land j
of dopy dreams," and upon leaving the islands he went j
to China where he served until he was discharged on j
account of disabilit.y, his long service in the tropical
countries having been too much for his constitution. He
then went to Fort Huchucha and remained for about
six months in the attempt to regain his health.

He returned to Boston, as yet far from well and
started on the road as a traveling salesman. He was
thus engaged for about a year when his health again
began to fail and he came west again, this time settling
in El Paso. Here he accepted a position with the elec-
tric light company and worked for this concern for a
year at the end of which time he went into business for
himself. He established an electric supply business and
carries a full line of electric supplies and fixtures, and ]
he has a large and growing patronage. He is also en-
gaged in the contracting and manufacturing of elec-
tric fixtures and does a general wholesale and retail
business, his trade extending all through western Texas,
New Mexico and Arizona. He has also erected and sold
many houses in the city and always has several for sale.
Although his years in flie army almost ruined his health,
Mr. Heffler considers them the most valuable perhaps
that he has spent, for it was then that he learned self
reliance and dependence on his own judgment. One of



TEXAS AND TEXANS



1613



bis most striking characteristics is his confidence in him-
self, not that he is aggressively so, but no matter how
large the task if in his judgment it is possible of
accomplishment he does not hesitate about starting out
to accomplish. He has had many obstacles to overcome
since locating in El Paso and this quality is what has
carried him through. This spirit which he carries into
his business relations makes him a valuable man in
public matters and since he is always interested in every
movement for the public good, he holds a prominent
place in the life of the city.

' Mr. Heffler is a communicant of the Protestant Episco-
pal church, and in political aflSliations he is independent.
He takes no active part although he is keenly interested
in local politics. He is a member of the Ancient Free
and Accepted Masons and also belongs to the Sons of
Jove and to the Loyal Order of Moose. He is a mem-
ber of the Canadian Club of El Paso and is one of the
present officers.

Clifford HefBer was married at Halifax, Nova Scotia,
in 1899, to Nellie McLennan, a daughter of Mr. and Mrs.
Edward McLennan, of Halifax. Mr. and Mrs. Heffler
have three children, as follows: Clifford E., Jr., Norma
L. and Gerald.

Mr. Heffler says that he came to El Paso a sick
man and that he has not only fully recovered his health
but has also established a prosperous and lucrative busi-
ness and that in his opinion El Paso and western Texas
is destined for continued prosperity in the years to come.

Db. Newt Long. Among the successful physicians of
Sweetwater, Texas, Dr. Newt Long takes a high rank.
He is one of those men who is never content with what
he has accomplished but feels that he must do yet more.
Progressive and up-to-date, the doctor never lets an
opportunity for further study and research along the
lines of his profession slip by, and as a result he is
able to offer to the people of Sweetwater medical serv-
ice of the highest order. His wide personal pojii'h'ritv
proves that he is a man as well as a physician, and he
is one of the citizens whom Sweetwater is proud to claim.

Dr. Long is of Scotch-Irish descent, coming from
some of the old Southern families, his ancestors having
been large slave-owners before the war. He was born
on the 28th of February, 1869, at Marquez, Texas, the
son of William C. Long and Elizabeth Long. His father
was a native of Alabama who settled in Marquez in the
early days of Texas, about 1847. He entered the Con-
federate service with the outbreak of the Civil war,
and was wounded in one of the engagements. He con-
tinued liis ImsiiK'ss. \\liifli was that of a merchant, in
Marqiicy .'iftcr llic r\r~i,' ,,!' the war and there made his
home iiiilil Is'.k; w lun lir lonioved to Santa Anna. He
retired froiii mtiM' l^isiiii-ss after a time and died on
April 18, 1902. II^s wife was born in Texas, a daughter
of William M. Vann of Nacogdoches, Texas. Her father
was an early settler of the state. Mrs. Long died in
Ipnfi, on the 9th of March. Nine children were born
to William Long and his wife, four boys and five girls
and the doctor was the youngest of these.

Dr. Long received his early education in the grammar
and high schools of Texas. Then having determined
to become a physician he entered the medical depart-
ment of the TJniversitv of Texas, from which he was
graduated in 189G with the degree of M. D. He has
since studied further, taking a degree from the Post-
Graduate Medical College in Chicago on April 1.5. 1905,
and being graduated from a course in the Chicago
Polyclinic on March 15, 1907. After his graduation
from the state university Dr. Long began to practice
his profession in Santa Anna, Texas. He opened his
office on February 1, 1897, and practiced in this city
until October in, 1910. He then removed to Sweet-
water where he has resided ever since. He has built up
a flourishing practice in this city, being both a physician
and surgeon, and his services are in constant demand.



In politics Dr. Long is and has always been a member
of the Democratic party. He is active in fraternal
affairs, being a member of the Ancient Free and Ac-
cepted Masons, and belonging to the Commandery. He
is a member of the Benevolent Protective Order of Elks,
and is Exalted Euler of the local lodge. He also belongs
to the Knights of Pythias and to the Independent Order
of Odd Fellows. He is a member of the Commercial
Club and is deeply interested in all civic questions. In
his religious affiliations the doctor is a member of the
Christian church and he is an elder in this congregation.

On September 13, 1893, Dr. Long was united in mar-
riage to Miss Ida Spencer, of Marquez, Texas. Her
father was an ex-Confederate soldier and had been
through the entire war. Dr. and Mrs. Long have be-
come the parents of three daughters, Gladys, Leah and
Adriene. They are all in school and their ages are
fourteen, twelve and ten respectively.

J. D. Carroll. One of the pioneer citiiens and busi-
ness men of Quanah is J. D. Carroll. Mr. Carroll was
at one time a young man dependent upon the labor of
his hands and his native intelligence to give him his
living and his start in the world. Many months of his
earlier career were spent in work at fifty cents a day.
He had a long training both in farm work and in
clerking in a store. Through this varied experience he
has come up until for a number of years he has been
recognized as one of the most influential and most
provperous business men of Quanah.

J. n. Carroll was born in the State of Georgia, in Henry
i-oinity. in Drcomber, 1852, the first of two children born



Online LibraryFrancis White JohnsonA history of Texas and Texans (Volume 4) → online text (page 6 of 177)