Francis White Johnson.

A history of Texas and Texans (Volume 4) online

. (page 68 of 177)
Online LibraryFrancis White JohnsonA history of Texas and Texans (Volume 4) → online text (page 68 of 177)
Font size
QR-code for this ebook


1836, and was therefore four years of age at the time
of their removal to Texas. His education, begun in the
schools near his home, was finished in the old McKenzie
College at Clarksville, Texas. The opening of the war
of the Eebellion found him in a mood to espouse the
cause of the South, and he became a lieutenant in a
Texas regiment which became a part of Ector 's Brigade.
Among other engagements of the war in which he partic-
ipated were those of Murfreesboro and Chickamauga,
and when he resumed civil life it was as a farmer in the
locality where his boyhood was spent. There he demon-
strated his success and won a place among the large
farmers of Lamar county. He bore an active part in
Democratic polities and was honored with the chairman-
ship of his county committee. He became a strong
Bryan partisan, and his following the cause of a leader
of national fame added strength to that cause in Lamar
county. Jere S. Crook was a sterling citizen as well as
a successful farmer, and manifested an interest in and
sympathy for the social and religious side of life. He
possessed humaneness to a marked degree and lent his
voice and purse to the advancement of righteous work,
both in and out of the church. He was a Methodist
and was of the counsellors of that body, and his prac-
tice was always to entertain strangers at his home with-
out price. His body, like his mind, was quick and ac-
tive, his carriage erect, his weight 170 pounds, his height
5 feet, 9 inches.

Judge John Crook, who led the family into the Texan
frontier, survived the period of the Civil war and filled
local office here. He was twice married. By his first
wife, whose maiden name was Stell, his children were as
follows: Jere S. ; Lewis, who died in Lamar county;
MoUie, wife of W. H. Hancock, of Paris, Texas; Mrs.
George Provine, of Paris ; Mack, at one time sheriff of
Lamar county, is deceased; John T., a farmer near
Paris; and Mrs. Susie Kirk, of Kansas City, Missouri.

Jere S. Crook also has been twice married. His chil-
dren are by his second wife, who was formerly Mrs.
Mary Jennings. She is a daughter of William Yates.
By her first husband, Eobert Jennings, her children are:
Mrs. Bedford, deceased; Mrs. George T. Coleman, of
Paris, Texas. Her children by Mr. Crook are : Mrs. Ed.
T. Smith, of New York; John W., city engineer of
Paris; Charles O., a farmer of Lamar county; Dr. Wal-
ter J., the immediate subject of this sketch; Stella, wife
of John Shultze, of Cooper; Marvin B., of Paris, and
Mary, wife of Fred Wynne of Conlin, Texas.

Walter Jennings Crook was born May 11, 187-1, and
grew up in the community known to the family for
many years. He was educated chiefiy under the direc-
tion of Gowdy and Downey, who conducted splendid
schools. After finishing his academic work in Paris, he
began preparing himself for his profession hy a course
of study in medicine in the offices of Doctor Bedford, his
brother-in-law, and Doctor Hooks, an able physician of
Paris. He matriculated in the University of Texas, and
graduated from the medical department, at Galveston, m
May, 1896. Immediately after his graduation he estab-
lished himself in the practice of his profession at Coop-



TEXAS AND TEXANS



1803



er, where he has since remained. And since his residence
here he has taken hospital worlj in Chicago, thus fitting
himself for greater efficiency in the local field of surgery.
His alnia mater at Galveston has also furnished him op-
portunity to do special work, and he is identified with
the local, State, and North Texas medical societies, and
these connections entitle him to membership in the na-
tional association. He is a member of the Association
of American Eailway Surgeons, and is local surgeon of
the Texas Midland Eailway Company. He does the offi-
cial examining for various insurance companies, includ-
ing the Southwestern and Southland Life insurance com-
panies of Dallas; the Sam Houston Life, the Aetna, the
Hartford, the Pacific Mutual Life, the Kansas City Life,
the Great Southern Life, the Ecjuitable of San Antonio,
the San Antonio Life, the Fort Worth Life, the Wichita
Southern Life, the Eeliance Life, the Federal Life, the
Union Central Life, etc. And in addition he holds the
office of County Health Officer.

Dr. Crook has proved himself a man of business ability
as well as of professional skill. He is vice president and
a director of the Farmers State Bank of Cooper, and is
a stockholder of the Delta National Bank.

November 18, 1S96, Doctor Crook and Miss Tennie
C. Wilson were united in marriage at Allen, Collin
county, Texas, and they are the parents of two sons: W.
Wilson and J. Hobson. J. Wilson Crook won first prize
for an essay on Eobert E. Lee, in competition as one of
the grade pupils of the Cooper schools. Mrs. Crook is a
daughter of Joseph S. Wilson and wife, nee Hobson, and
one of a family of ten children.

Doctor Crook 's family are Methodists and he is, fra-
ternally, identified with the Woodmen and the Masons.

David Luther Painter. The active life of this en-
terprising man was connected with the most important
period in the development of Gainesville, from 1873
to September 23, 1911, and is linked with the construc-
tion of some of the most important of those public
works which stimulated the city 's growth and were
the bases of its commercial supremacy. A friend of
education, morality and good citizenship, a philanthrop-
ist whose charities will never be known, a public-spir-
ited citizen who placed the interests of his community
above his private ambitions, his career and activities
entitle his name to be remembered with sentiments of
profound veneration among the founders and builders
of the city's greatness.

David Ijuther Painter was born at Martinsburg, Vir-
ginia, in 1831. His paternal grandfather was a Revo-
lutionary soldier, a native of England, and an early
settler of Virginia, where he was one of the first voters
of Berkeley county (now West Virginia.) The parents
of Mr. Painter were Virginia farming people, and had
a family of five children, of whom two still survive:
Joseph, living at Asheville, North Carolina, and the
youngest, living at Lock Haven, Pennsylvania, in former
years a newspaper man and now living retired at the
age of eighty-eight years. David L. Painter was reared
on his father 's farm near Martinsburg, Virginia, and
there received his education in the common schools. On
attaining his majority, he left the parental roof and
went to St. Louis, Missouri, where he secured a position
with a car manufacturing concern. He continued with
this firm until 1873, in which year he came to Texas
and settled in Gainesville. This was prior to the advent
of the railroads, but here he established himself in the
lumber business, although it was necessary that he haul
his product from Dennison. This modest business,
started with a small capital, and only the determination
and ambition of its proprietor to encourage the thought
of its success, grew steadily as the years passed, and
eventually assumed gigantic proportions. The man-
agement of this great enterprise left him with but
little leisure to devote to other channels of trade, but
he managed withal to find time to devote to charity and



the social amenities. He was in his business relations a
man of absolute integrity, but conservative and cautious
in his actions and reticent in his habits; especially was
he modest in speaking of his own affairs or himself.
His habits were simple and domestic ; he was a great
lover of home, and his bearing was affable and kindly.
He had a charitable regard for others, and it was his
rule never to speak of a person except to speak well of
him. In his continual, unostentatious charities he helped
men to help themselves and the full extent of these
benevolences will probably never be known. To his own
family connections and friends he was ever generous.
A lover of outdoor life, he was a large owner of ranch-
ing properties, but did not give these his personal atten-
tion. He was never a politician, nor did he take an
especially active part in public affairs, but he had an
intimate knowledge of the history of nearly every man
(if iiiipui t.iiicc in the country, and was a personal friend
I'C :i iiniMl'rr (if national figures, among them Senator
li:iih',v. \Oin was his neighbor for years. One of Mr.
I'aiiitcr's yilts to the City of Gainesville consisted of
the beautiful trees in City Park, which he himself
planted and of which he took care until they had grown
large enough to contend with the inclemencies of the
weather. Although a member of no church, he helped
to build nearly every church structure in the city, as
well as the first and succeeding public schools. At the
time of his death he was serving as a member of the
board of school trustees. He was a Democrat of the
old school, lint ever respected the rights and opinions of
otlieis, and his friends were found among all political
p:iities. About ten years prior to his death, which oc-
curred September 23, 1911, he retired from business
activities, although he continued to hold an interest in
the Lindsey National Bank, of which he was a director,
and the Waples-Painter Lumber Company, which is still
in existence and one of the largest industries of its kind
in this section, and in which his widow retains a con-
trolling interest.

On December 12, 1873, Mr. Painter was married to
Mrs. Frances (Clark) Elliott, who was born in Missis-
sippi, daughter of Col. William T. Clark, a Mississippi
planter who came to Texas in 1858 and engaged in stock
raising, which he followed up to the time of his death
in 1897. There were seven children in Mr. Clark's fam-
ily: Frances, who married Mr. Painter; Mary, who be-
came the wife of R. H. Hoffman, of Denton, Texas;
Pattie, deceased, who was the wife of Jesse Chinn, of
Denton; Luther T., a well-known stockman and banker
of Quana, Texas; W. O., a ranch owner and stockman
of Graham, Texas; Eugene W., who is a resident of Ari-
zona : Sidney J., a stockman and banker of Childress
county, Texas.

Frances Clark was married (first) to Dr. M. A.
Elliott, a native of Tennessee, who graduated from
medical college in his native state and then came to
Texas, where he followed his profession up to the time
of his death, in February, 1870. There were two chil-
dren born to this union : Imogene, who is now de-
ceased, and Pearl, who is the widow of W. H. Stafford,
of Supulpa, Oklahoma. Mr. Stafford was the owner
of a cotton compress and his widow is now continuing
the business with marked success. She has one daughter.

Three children were born to the union of Mr. and
Mrs. Painter: Fay, who is the wife of L. D. Turner, of
Gainesville, and has one son, David ; Gladys, who is
single and lives at home with her mother; and one
child who died in infancy. Mrs. Painter, who is a lady
of many accomplishments and who has numerous friends
in church and social circles of Gainesville, resides in
her comfortable residisnce at No. 312 West California
street.

Hayvtood B. Lain, M. D., is dean of the medical pro-
fession of Delta county, Texas. It was in 1868 that he
began practice here, and for twenty-two years he trav-



1804



TEXAS AND TEXANS



eled over the country embraced within its borders and
ministered to the frontier settlers dotted here and there,
while maintaining his residence at Charleston, then the
chief town of the county.

Doctor Lain first came into Texas during the progress
of the Civil war, refugeeing from the dangers of invasion
by Federal troops, menacing the State of Arkansas, from
which he fled. He had come into the West in 1857,
reaching his destination in Madison county, Arkansas,
April 7th of that year. He was reared within a few
miles of the Tennessee river in Perry county, and he
journeyed down that stream to Paducah, Kentucky, thence
to Cairo, Illinois, and down to the mouth of the Arkansas
river by packet and continued his trip by river to Little
Eock. A private conveyance carried him from there to
Huntsville, where his uncle, Samuel Sheppard, and other
friends from his home county had preceded him.

Doctor Lain was born in Perry county, Tennessee, Oc-
tober 1, 1835. His father, Armstead D. Lain, was a
small planter of that county, where he was born in 1813.
He subsequently moved into Decatur county and there
passed away about 1870. He was aligned, politically,
with the WTiigs, as was his father-in-law, and possessed
the ordinary educational and other qualifications for citi-
zenship. His father was Armstead Lain, a native of
"Virginia, who came to Tennessee from Xorth Carolina.
He was a planter in Wilson county, and died there.
Armstead Lain, Jr., married Louisa, daughter of William
and Janie (Price) Sheppard, the latter being of Welsh
descent. Mrs. Lain was born January 8, 1815. She
came to Texas after the death of her husband, and died
at Cooper, as Mrs. Whitwell. in November. 1896. Her
children were Haywood B., the subject of this sketch;
William, who died while a soldier in the Confederate
army; Martha, who married and settled in Arkansas and
died there; Mrs. Lucy Simmons, of Lamar county,
Texas ; Samuel, of Sanger, Texas ; Douglas, who still
resides in Tennessee, and Susan, who was the wife of
Charles Harris and who died at Cooper, Texas.

In the matter of longevity this family of Lains has
made a record. Back in Tennessee, where the climatic
conditions contribute to the development of tall and
sinewy men and fair and vigorous women, an uncle and
an aunt of Doctor Lain carried their burden of years
beyond the century and yielded to the "inevitable" with
mental faculties in full activity. Joseph Lain, the uncle,
passed beyond his hundredth milestone, and his sister,
Miss Ada,' reached 109, and passed out in the cedar hills
near Lebanon, after having witnessed the greatest era
of progress in the history of the modern world.

Haywood B. Lain's youth was passed not unlike that
of other sons of small planters in Tennessee, and his
schooling was not finished until after his removal to
Arkansas. His time was divided, when he grew up,
among several vocations, clerking and other work such
as was found in the little mountain town of Huntsville,
and he began the study of medicine in the office of Dr.
J. P. Humphrey of Ozark. When the war of the Re-
bellion came on he was fully prepared for defending
the old customs of the South and seemed anxious to array
himself in military garb in defense of the State. His
company was commanded by Captain Walker and his
regiment by Colonel Carroll, both of Franklin county,
Arkansas. Military enthusiasm had been stimulated by
a sort of free hand in Confederate sentiment, soldiering
largely without the enemy's interference for a time and
watching new troops in civilian garb and sportsmen's
equipment passing by Ozark in boat loads en route to
Fort Smith. Colonel Carroll took his regiment beyond
the limits of the State and added his force to that facing
General Lvon's army near S|iringfield, :Missouri, and in
the summer of lS(iL' the battle of Wilson's Creek was
fought, in which our suliject was active and where, as
he expressed it, he "saw the elephant" and secured all
the honors of war necessary to satisfy his craving for a
military life. The results of that battle left the Union



forces in command of the situation and an invasion of
Arkansas felt to be a sure and early event. As a move
to avoid further exposing himself as a target for Yan-
kee bullets and as a means of saving the personal prop-
erty of his uncle Shepjiard, the young soldier took charge
of a caravan of stock and drove them to Texas, reaching
Lamar county near the close of the year 1862. Return-
ing to Arkansas, he found his relative ready to transfer
his residence to a more southern community, and the
Sheppard family and all its portable effects formed the
second company-, which Doctor Lain accompanied to the
Lone Star state. They reached their destination early
in 1S63 and stopped in the vicinity of one of the Sulphur
Rivers. Here the coming physician and future man-of-
affairs combined the practice of medicine and the cattle
industry until the re-establishment of peace.

While Doctor Lain had only begun the preparation
for his professional work, laid the foundation as it were,
yet he was qualified to diagnose and prescribe, and he
answered with his assistance whenever called upon. All
the while he kept up his medical studies and he yearned
for a diploma from some college of medicine. Accord-
ingly, in 1867, he went back to Tennessee and entered
the university of Nashville, where he completed the med-
ical course the following year. Then, in possession of
the coveted diploma, he returned to Texas and resumed
his place in the saddle in front of his pill bags, at this
time establishing his home at Charleston, then in Hop-
kins county, where he continued to reside the next twenty-
two years. During this time his practice extended far be-
yond the present limits of the county, and his faithful
' ' Dobyn ' ' carried him over distances and through weath-
er that would put a modern automobile out of commis-
sion. He passed over the site of Cooper before the town
was ever dreamed of and he had business or professional
relations with nearly all of Delta county's inhabitants
prior to 1880. The opportunity being ever present, he
engaged in trading, grazing and farming from the early
years of his residence, and his contribution to the im-
provements of rural and urban Delta has been continu-
ous.. He has made farms out of the ' ' hog wallows, ' ' has
enclosed pastures, built homes for tenants, and out of his
multifarious transactions in real estate in the country a
thousand acres of land is still in his name.

Doctor Lain has been a positive factor in the affairs
of Cooper from its early history. He moved to the place
in 1885. when it contained about 500 inhabitants, and
for some years was one of the druggists of the town as
well as a" practicing physician. He erected the second
brick business house here, has built several others since,
and his contribution to the residence district of Cooper
has been important and conspicuous. His own home, a
splendid and commodious house, has added materially
to the permanence of the county seat town and the sev-
eral smaller homes built by him have served to swell the
number of domiciles needed in a growing community.

With the prospect of securing a railroad for Cooper,
Doctor Lain was named, with James Patteson, Doctor
Blackwell, T. T. Garrard and others, as a committee to
secure the right-of-way through Delta county for the
Texas Midland Railroad and the construction of the
road followed the completion of their work in 1896. He
has been president of the First National Bank of Cooper
for twenty years, and is one of the directors of the
Protestant M. P. Church, which he joined at Charleston,
Texas. In national politics he is a Republican, but in
local political affairs he acts as an independent. His
first vote was given in support of the whigs.

Novemljer 9. 1864, Doctor Lain married at Charleston,
Texas, Miss Elizabeth Conditt, daughter of William and
Jane (Brown) Conditt, who came to Texas from Ken-
tucky. Mrs. Lain passed away in 1885, leaving three
children: Dr. Albert S., of Cooper, who died in Sep-
tember, 1898 ; Paul H., who lives at Cooper, and Louisa
Jane, born March 21, 1874, died November 23, 1895.
For his second wife. Doctor Lain married Miss Mary



TEXAS AND TEXANS



1805



Hunt, daughter of Benjamin F. and Martha (Baker)
Hunt, who came hither from Missouri. Of the Hunt
family, only one other member survives — John Hunt of
Hopkins county, Texas. The children of this second
marriage are Nellie, Floyd, Waldrow, Claud, Ralph and
Haywood.

As a Mason, Doctor Lain also has a record. He is
believed to be the oldest member of the Masonic Order
in Delta county and he helped organize the lodge in
Charleston soon after he took up his residence there. He
also helped to organize, and has presided over, a number
of lodges in the county. '

Henry L. Leberm.^x. One of the leaders in thought
and action in Olney, Texas, is Henry L. Lclierman, a
n-ealthy stock man, banker and citizen nf this place.
All his life, practically, has been devoted to stock-
raising, for before he entered into the business on his
own responsibility, he was associated with his father
who was in the same line of enterprise, and who also
was a successful man. Mr. Leberman was born on
October 10, 1S63, at Nokomis, Illinois, a son of John A.
and Bertha Mary (Heck) Leberman, both natives of
Germanj'. They came to America and settled in St.
Louis, where they were married, and later settled in
Christian county, Illinois, but still later again removing
to St. Louis, Missouri. It was not until 1S74 that they
identified themselves with Texas as settlers in Tarrant
county, \ihere the father was engaged as a stockman. He
died in Young county, on January 3, 1913, aged seventy-
nine years, and the -mother died on March 9, 1911, aged
sixty-nine. They were the parents of seven children,
and of that number the subject was the second born.

Henry L. Leberman was fairly well educated in the
schools of Missouri and Illinois, and he finished his
schooling in St. Louis. He accompanied the family to
Texas, and when he launched out for himself, it was to
engage in the cattle business. In 1880 he came to
Young county, and he is still largely occupied with his
cattle interests hereabout, although he has identified
himself with other activities that take some of his time
and attention.

In 1905 he acquired an interest in the First National
Bank of Olney, among the most prosperous institutions
of its kind in the county, and he served as president of
the bank from 1906 to 1910, and is again holding the
office of president after an interval of non-service.

Mr. Leberman is one who has taken a distinctive
interest in matters of educational import, and is giving
valuable service as president of the local school board,
where he has served since 1901. In that time many
valuable additions to the curriculum have come into
usage, and it is his aim to bring the system to a status
that will compare favorably in efficiency with other
school systems of larger cities, ilr. Leberman is a
Democrat and a Mason of the Royal Arch degree. He
also has membership in the Woodmen of the World and
the Knights of Pythias. His church affiliations are with
the Christian denomination.

In December, 1893, at Graham, Texas, Mr. Leberman
was married to Miss Eleanor Perkins, a daughter nf
J. W. Perkins and wife, old pioneers to this county
who are now deceased. Three children have been born
to Mr. and Mrs. Leberman, as follows: Marietta, born
in 1S94; Henry Louis, born September 17, 1896; and
Eleanor Leberman, born in 1898.

Mr. Leberman takes his proper place among the lead-
ers in citifenship of the city and county, and performs
his full share of civic service, sharing to the uttermost
the burdens of civic responsibility.

Dr. George B. Hamilton. One of the promising
young medical men of this district and one who is fast
advancing in professional importance is Dr. George B.
Hamilton, of Olney, Y'oung county, where he has been
engaged in practice since his graduation from the Uni-



versity of Fort Worth in 1908. Dr. Hamilton is a
product of the Lone Star state, born in Red River
county in September, 1878, and he is a son of N. W.
and Tenuie (Smith) Hamilton, born respectively iii
Texas and Tennessee.

N. W. Hamilton is a well known cotton ginner and
machine man, and he still makes his home in Red River
county at the age of sixty-five, where he has passed
his entire life, and where he has gained no little promi-
nence in his business. The mother, who came to Texas
as a young girl, met and married her husband in Texas,
and here also she gained her education. She is now in
her sixtieth year, and the mother of eight children, of
which goodly number George B. of this review was the
first born.

In his boyhood George B.' Hamilton attended the
schools of Red River county, then entering the Uni-
versity of Nashville and spending three years more in
the medical department of Port Worth University. He
was graduated with his. degree of M. D. in 1908, and
began the practice of his profession in Olney, where
he has since been engaged, and where he has experienced
a pleasing degree of success. He is a member of the
State Medical Society, and the Wichita Falls County
and the Young County Medical Societies, in all of which
he is one who takes an active and interested part.



Online LibraryFrancis White JohnsonA history of Texas and Texans (Volume 4) → online text (page 68 of 177)