Francis White Johnson.

A history of Texas and Texans (Volume 4) online

. (page 73 of 177)
Online LibraryFrancis White JohnsonA history of Texas and Texans (Volume 4) → online text (page 73 of 177)
Font size
QR-code for this ebook


known as one of the strong, successful and essentially
representative members of the bar of Hunt couuty. He
has been concerned in much of the important litigation
in the courts in this section of the state and has presented
numerous causes in the Texas supreme court and in the
federal courts of the state. His brother Mayo has been
associated with him in practice since 1891, under the
firm name of Neyland & Neyland, and they control a
large and substantial law business of general order.

In polities Mr. Neyland accords unwavering allegiance
to the Democratic party and, while he has considered his
profession well worthy of his undivided attention and
has thus had no predilection for political office, he has
given yeoman service in behalf of the party cause. He
is affiliated with the Masonic fraternity and both he and
his wife are zealous communicants of the Protestant
Episcopal Church, in which they are leading members of
the parish of the church in their home city.

The year 1889 marked the solemnization of the mar-
riage of Mr. Neyland to Miss Pauline Lewis, who was
born and reared in Harrison county, this state, and who
is a daughter of the late Dr. Howell Lewis, a representa-
tive pioneer of that county. Mr. and Mrs. Neyland have
two sons and one daughter, Eobert R., Jr., Carroll, and
Mayo W., Jr., the latter two remaining at the paternal
honie and the elder son, Robert E., Jr., being a cadet in
the United States Military Academy at West Point, in
which he is a member of the class of 1916. In the com-
petitive examination for appointment to West Point he
was the only one of the fourteen applicants who passed
the required examination.

Shiloh Gorman. Among the influential and prosper-
ous business men of Seymour, Texas, Shiloh Gorman
holds a leading place. A man of long experience in the
business world, of fine executive qualities, and a man who
is popular both socially and among his business associ-
ates. Mr. Gorman is quite naturally a leader. He is one
of the officials and is general manager of one of the
largest industrial enterprises in Seymour, and it is
largely owing to his energy and ability that this con-
cern is the highly successful institution which it has
become.

Shiloh Gorman was born in fpshur county, Texas, on
the 27th of July, 1866. He is a son of Charles B. Gor-
man, who was born in Georgia, but came to Texas with
his parents when he was a boy. Charles B. Gorman
took up farming as a young man and has follower! this
occupation all of his life. He enlisted in the Confed-
erate army with the outbreak of the Civil war and
served through the long four years in one of the Texas
regiments. He was in many of the important engage-
ments of the war and was wounded, now having a
crippled hand as the result of this wound. Mr. Gorman
has always been active politically, being a member of
the Democratic party. In religious matters he is a
member of the Baptis"t church. He married Miss Fannie
Jones, who was born in Texas. Mr. Gorman is now
living in Wood county, but his wife died in 1904, at
the age of sixty, and is buried in Winnsboro, Texas.

Of the seven children who were born to Charles B.
Gorman and his wife, Shiloh Gorman, was the fourth in
order of birth. He received his early education in the
public schools of Texas, and, after completing his work
in the public schools, he worked on the farm until he
was eighteen years of age. He then went to Bowling
Green, Kentucky, where he took a commercial course in
a business college. Upon completing this course he
returned to Texas and for three years followed railroad-
ing. He then came to the western part of the state,
where he engaged in farming and ranching. He made



a success, but decided that he preferred a different kind
of work. Therefore he came to Seymour and took charge
of the Mayfield Lumber Company 's lumber yard. After
eighteen months of this work he opened a dry good.!
store, which he conducted very successfully for about six
years. He then went into the furniture business, but
only continued in this line for six months or so. His
next move was to go into business with the West Texas
Supply Company, and he was in this concern for several
years. After selling his interest in this business he de-
termined to go to ranching again, and for four years
managed a ranch near Seymour. At the end of this
year three seasons found him working in the
cotton business and then he opened a drug store
in Seymour. Two years later the co.mpany ic
which Mr. Gorman is interested at p'esent was
formed, and Mr. Gorman was elected secretary
and treasurer, as well as being made general manager.
This company purchased the Seymour Mill, Elevator and
Light Company's plant and is now known by this name.
It is one of the largest and most important institutions
in town, bringing into Seymour a large volume of busi-
ness. The company operates extensively throughout the
state, doing both a wholesale and retail business. They
do a grain and milling business and also operate the
electric light plant in Seymour. Mr. Gorman has not
spared himself in the effort to place this concern on a
substantial foundation and make it a paying proposi-
tion, and his success has been most marked. The varied
experience which he has had in the business world has
given him a clear insight into business methods, and his
knowledge of men and affairs makes him an influential
figure in business circles.

In political matters Mr, Gorman is a member of the
Democratic party, but he is content to cast his vote at
the polls and let others manipulate the party 's affairs.
He is a member of no church, but is strongly inclined
toward the Baptist faith. In the fraternal world Mr.
Gorman is a member of the Knights of Pythias and of
the Woodmen of the World, He is a lover of the out-
door sports and in particular of baseball, having been a
player himself at one time,

Mr, Gorman was married in Seymour, Texas, on the
17th of February, 1902, to Miss Fannie McKeeban, a
daughter of Mr, and Mrs, E. E. McKeehan of Bf.ylor
county, Texas. Mr. and Mrs. Gorman have become the
parents of thr^e children, two boys and a girl, namely,
Wallace, Hazel and Shiloh, Jr.

Dr. Jefferson Davis Eatliff. As a successful
physician, Dr. Jefferson Davis Eatliff is well known in
Seymour, Texas, and the surrounding country. From his
boyhood he was filled with the desire to study medicine
and his medical training was purchased at the expense of
much self-sacrifice. The quiet determination to succeed,
and the fighting qualities which Dr. Eatliff showed
during his struggle for an education are again in evi-
dence when he has a dangerously ill patient. He never
gives a ease up as hopeless until every expedient has
been tried. Dr. Eatliff has been in practice in Seymour
for only a few years, but he has built up a fine practice
and has won many friends.

Dr. Eatliff was born in Paris, Texas, on the 25th of
September, 1861, the son of Eobert Eatliff, The latter,
who was born in Alabama, came to Texas in 18,36, where
he became a farmer, and as a farmer spent the re-
mainder of his life. He died in 1885 at the age of
seventv-two. He married Miss Pamela Craft, who was
a native of Kentucky, Mrs. Eatliff came to Texas in
1844 and they were married in the latter state. She is
now living and makes her home in Paris. Texas, being
seventy-eight years of age. She is a member of the
Baptist church, as was her husband. Eleven children
were born to Eobert Eatliff and his wife, of whom the
Doctor was the second child and the oldest son.

Dr. Eatliff 's elementary education was obtained in the



TEXAS AND TEXANS



1819



public schools of Texas, and, after completing the course
of instruction provided by the state, he went to work
on the farm with the intention of going to college later.
He carefully saved his earnings and was at last enabled
to matriculate at the Aiken Institute, at Paris, Texas.
After leaving college he taught school for four years
and then, taking the money thus earned, he entered the
Louisville Medical College, at Louisville, Kentucky.

At the end of his course in the above institution he
received a certificate which enabled him to practice, and
he practiced for several years. He then entered the
College of Physicians and Surgeons at St. Louis, Mis-
souri, and was graduated from this institution with the
class of 1901. After being made a full-fledged physi-
cian, he returned to Texas and began to practice at
Klondike. Several years were spent in this place and
then, in 1908, he came to Seymour, where he has been
engaged in practice ever since. He is one of the pros-
perous men of this city and has attained his professional
success entirely through his own merits as a physician,
not through the influence of others.

Dr. Eatliff is a member of the Democratic party, but
takes no active share in politics. Both he and his wife
are members of the Christian church. In fraternal
affairs he is a member of the Independent Order of Odd
Fellows and of the Woodmen of the World, as well as of
the Ladies ' branch of the Woodmen 's Circle. Dr. Eat-
liff owns his own motor car and automobiling is one of
his chief diversions.

At Paris, Texas, in 1888, on the 29th of January, Dr.
Eatliff' was married to Miss Bettie Stephenson, a daugh-
ter of Mr. and Mrs. G. A. Stephenson, of Paris. Fonr
children, three sons and one daughter, have been born
to Dr. Eatliff and his wife. Eoy, the eldest, resides at
Burleson, Texas, where he is in the employ of the Mis-
souri, Kansas & Texas Eailroad Company. Lavada is
a teacher and a student. Eobert T. and Add G. are both
at home.

Ataxacio Vidaurri. Along the southern border of
Texas there are descendants of old Spanish settlers who
were the pioneers in the development of the resources of
that section of the country. Atanacio Vidaurri was born
at Laredo, May 3, 1833, and died in that city, December
24, 188.5. He was a son of Eafael and Lorenza Gil de
Vidaurri. His father was robbed and killed by the
Indians while on his way to Chihuahua, Mexico, in 1845.
From that time forward Atanacio was compelled not only
to support himself, but also to contribute to the support
of his mother and sisters. Although of tender age, he
assumed the responsibility, and with an energy and
ability rarely displayed in one so young, he bent himself
to his tapk. becoming in time an influential citizen. On
July 10, 1857, he married Miss Ygnacio, daughter of
Juan Francisco and Ynnr-ente (Benavides) de Farias, of
the Hacienda de Gn,i.hilii|i., Mr.xi.-,,. The wi.lnw, with
seven of her chiMrrn. -,iirxi\,'^. I'lir-r clnMicii are
Defina, Estaban, M;ii -,ii rn. At:iii:irin I.,, ,\I;iuuela,
Nieves and Jose, luiinrdinlcly .-ift,'!- lii^ iii.'in-iai;e, Mr.
Vidaurri engaged in farming, ranching, cattle raising,
etc., in Webb county, Texas, At the beginning of the
Civil war he enlisted in the Confederate army and was
made second lieutenant in the famous company of
rangers commanded by Captain (afterward Colonel)
Benavides. This company was engaged in jirotecting the
border along the Eio Grande against incursions of Mexi-
can banditti, and so well did it discharge this duty that
it was frequently complimented by the state govern-
ment of Texas and the Confederate military authorities.
The men who formed this command were noted for their
bravery and their unselfish devotion to the Southern
cause, and, though they were denied the opportunity of
winning laurels on the historic battlefields of the great
internecine conflict, they never faltered in the perform-
ance of the work assigned to them. During the war the
business interests of Mr. Vidaurri suffered to such an
extent that at the close of hostilities he was compelled



to begm anew the work of rebuilding his shattered for-
tunes. To add to the trouble of the people of south-
western Texas during the years immediately following
the war, the Indians were constantly committing depre-
dations, and Mr. Vidaurri was frequently called out with
his neighbors to suppress these uprisings. In one of the
fights with the Indians in 18(36 he was wounded. Amid
all these difficulties he never lost courage, but applied
himself to his work with renewed energy, and in a few
years accumulated a comfortable fortune to leave to his
family, to which he was always devoted. In politics
Mr. Vidaurri was an uncompromising Democrat. He
served several terms in the Laredo city council, being
elected the first time in 1872. In 1877 he was elected
mayor of the city and filled that office with signal
ability, and for a number of years preceding his death
he was one of the county commissioners of Webb county
He was a member of the Catholic Church; his public
and private life were exemplary and without reproach;
as a citizen he was public spirited and his successful
management of his large business enterprises bears tes-
timony to his great executive ability and good judgment.
Atanacio L. Vidaurri, one of the surviving children, was
born and reared in Laredo. He was educated in Spanish
at Monterey, Mexico, and his education in the English
branches was acquired at Galveston, Texas, Equipping
himself as a bookkeeper and expert accountant, he has
been for a number of years associated with the Laredo
banks in that capacity— first with the Milmo National
Bank, and later with the Laredo National Bank, Fra-
ternally, he is a member of Laredo Lodge, Benevolent
and Protective Order of Elks, and of the Knights of
Columbus, His wife, prior to her marriage, was Miss.
Aurelia Elizondo, of Saltillo, Mexico,

Charles H, Eaguet. Col. Henry Eaguet was born-
February 11, 1796, in Bucks county, Pennsylvania. He-
was the son of James Michael and Ann (Wynkoop)
Eaguet. The mother, who was a native of Bucks countj^
also, was born in 1755 and died in 1815, and the father
was a native son of Prance. He was a member of Na-
poleon's staff, and, after the banishment of Napoleon
to St. Helena, he started to America with his two-
brothers, Paul and Claudius Eaguet, the latter of whom
was drowned during the voyage. Paul and James ar-
rived in 1775 in Virginia, where Paul was killed bv In-
dians, and James Eaguet later settled in Bucks county,
Pennsylvania. Henry Eaguet, the son of James M., was
reared in Bucks county, and when a young man he re-
ruoved to Ohio, locating first in Steubenville, where he-
lived for a year, engaging then in the mercantile busi-
ness in Cincinnati. In 1831, after selling his business in-
that city, Henry -Eaguet journeyed by steamboat and.
horseback to New Orleans, Louisiana, at which place he^
had the honor of making the acquaintance of Sam Hous-
ton, who told Eaguet of the wonders of Coahuila and
Texas, in the Eepublic of Mexico, At the same time,
through the introduction of Houston, he met Col, John
Durst, and, being invited and urged by both. Colonel
Eaguet traveled with them from New Orleans up the
Eed Eiver to where Nacogdoches now stands, from
which point the three went on horseback to Durst 's home,,
on the Angelina Eiver, in Nacogdoches countv, where
the party was royally entertained. After looking over
Texas as well as he could on horseback and afoot, Colonel
Eaguet decided to purchase land in and around Nacog-
doches, and in 1832 removed permanently to that place
with his wife, who was Marcia Ann (Towers) Raguet,
and the following children: Anna, Comie. Henrv W..
Augusta, Mary and Charles M. Eaguet. In that' year'
1832, he embarked in the general merchandise luis'iness
at Nacogdoches. He was the first mori-hant in Texas
to sell goods by the American yard of thirty-six inches^
instead of the Mexican yard of' thirty-three "inches. He
continued successfully in this business until he was suc-
ceeded, in or about 1852, by his sons, C. and H. W.
Eaguet.



1820



TEXAS AND TEXANS



An interesting incident, showing the friendship tliat
existed between Sam Houston and the Eaguet family
occurred a few weeks before the battle of San Jacinto,
by which Texas won her independence. Houston was a
guest at Colonel Eaguet 's home, in Nacogdoches, and
while sitting with his back toward the front door 'of the
house and talking with Anna Eaguet, who later became
Mrs. Anna Irion, and Colonel Eaguet, his host, he was
approached from behind by a Mexican, vrho suddenly
slipped in at the open door and who, with upraised
dagger, attempted to assassinate Houston, but he was
frustrated in the attempt by Anna Eaguet, who sprang
at the Mexican and seized the knife, thereby saving the
life of the famous general. Later, and a few days prior
to the battle of San Jacinto, on April 21, 1836, General
Houston came through Nacogdoches again, and once
more was a guest in the Eaguet home. On this visit
he remarked to Miss Anna Eaguet that if he had her
good wishes he would defeat the Mexicans in the commg
battle. Upon departing the next morning. Miss Eaguet
tied upon Houston the sash she had made for him the
previous evening and placed his sword within it. He
told her that if his expected battle with the Mexicans
was successful, he would return the sword and sash to
her as a souvenir in acknowledgment of her gooi will
and wishes. General Houston won the battle, it is true,
but for some unknown reason the sash and sword went
to others. .

Bolls, the Cherokee Indian chief, had no better iriend
in Texas than Col. Henry Eaguet, and for this reason
he was urged to by General Houston, Colonel Eusk and
other prominent Texans, to stay at home and control
the Indian .situation. It was on this account only that
Colonel Eaguet did not participate in the battle of San
Jacinto. , . ^ i

Colonel Eaguet was not a secessionist and he strongly
opposed that policy, but it is a noteworthy fact that
the first secession flag to be blown by the breeze in
Texas was raised over the store owned by C, H. W. and
C. M. Eaguet in Nacogdoches. The flag was made the
night before by Mrs. Henry Eaguet and Miss Mary
Eaguet. When the flag was hoisted a number of citizens
protested and said the flag must come down; but the
three brothers, assisted by their father, though he was
not a secessionist, guarded the flag for two days and
nights with double-barreled shotguns.

Col. Henry Eaguet died at Marshall, Texas, December
8 1877. As stated in the foregoing, he had been suc-
ceeded in business in about 1852 by his sons, C. and
H. W., who later were joined by their younger brother
Charles M., with the firm name of C. and H. W. Eaguet
& Company. . , ,

These three brothers all rendered distinguished service
to the Confederacy during the CivO war. They enlisted
at Nacogdoches at the beginning of the war as privates
in Gen. Tom Green's brigade and took part m the
famous expedition to New Mex-ico under General Sibley.
Conde Eaguet was elected captain, later made major,
and finally rose to the rank of colonel of cavalry; Henry
W Eaguet was promoted to a first lieutenancy, then to
captain, and then major of infantry and cavalry and
was noted as a brave and dashing soldier. He was killed
in action at the battle of Glorietta, New ilexico, on
March 28 1862. Charles M. Eaguet was first assigned
as a private in Teel's battery; at the beginning of the
New Mexico expedition he was promoted to first lieu-
tenant and commanded Teel's battery during every en-
gagement in the New Mexico campaign. Later he was
in service in Louisiana in the campaign against General
Banks. On account of being at home on sick leave, re-
sulting from an attack of measles, he did not participate
n the^ battle of Mansfield, but for valuable servies he
was promoted to the rank of major of the First Vir-
ginia^Cavalry, Lee's army, and was «" ^1"«, ^f J° /"
this assignment when the surrender took place at Ap-
pomattox Among his other services he had participated
in both of the battles of Galveston.



A sad misfortune happened to the family in 1868,
when, on December 8th of that year. Col. Conde Eaguet
and his sister Mary were drowned in the Ohio Eiver in
the collision of two steamboats, the America and the
United Stales, at Eay's Landing, about two miles above
Warsaw, on the Indiana side.

Maj. Henry W. Eaguet was the first fiscal agent of
the Eepublic of Texas, serving as such under President
Sam Houston. He drove alone through the new re-
public and collected tax money in an open wagon, which
he handled without a guard.

After the war, Maj. Charles M. Eaguet settled in
Nacogdoches again, and, after straightening out the
estates of his two brothers, he engaged in the drug and
general mercantile business, which he conducted until
1872. In that year he removed to Marshall and there
formed a partnership with Mr. E. J. Fry in the bank-
ing business, with the firm name of Eaguet & Fry. After
being engaged in this business successfully for eight
years, he retired from the firm, disposing of his interest
in the business to Mr. Fry. Thereafter he engaged in
the general land business, which he continued in up
to the time of his death, which occurred on Novrmber
11, 1903. He is survived by Mrs. Eaguet and their son,
Charles H. Eaguet. Maj. Charles M. Eaguet was born
in Cincinnati, Ohio, September 22, 1832, and as in that
year the family came to Nacogdoches, it will be seen
that practically his entire life was spent in Texas.

Mrs. Charles M. Eaguet was, prior to her marriage.
Miss Isabel Edwards; she was born in Nacogdoches and
married Major Eaguet on April 21, 1870. She is a
daughter of' tlie late Hayden H. Edwards and grand-
daughter of Col. Hayden Edwards, who was the founder
of the Edwards Colony in the Mexican state of Coahuila
and Texas, to which county he came in 182.5. This is
another distinguished fam"ily of Texas, only a brief
sketch of which is given here, as an account of the Ed-
wards Colony is given in the general historical S'^ction
of this work. Col. Hayden Edwards and his son, Hayden
Harrison Edwards, were both born in Virginia. The
former married Miss Susan Beall of Maryland, while the
wife of the latter was Miss Sarah M. Forbes, who was
born in Cincinnati, Ohio, the daughter of John and
Emily (Scisson) Forbes, who came from Hartford, Con-
necticut. Col. Harden Edwards died at Nacogdoches,
Texas, on August 14, 1849. Hayden Harrison Edwards
died at Cincinnati, Ohio, in August, 1865. The latter,
who was always known as General Edwards, in or about
the year 1859, with his associates, started the first rail-
road in Texas. It started at the old town of Sabine
Pass and extended to Beaumont; the roadbed was
graded between those points and the ties and rails laid,
but the outbreak of the Civil war caused the work lo be
abandoned before it was fully completed. , , ^ ,

Charles H. Eaguet, son of Maj. Charles M. and Tsabel
(Edwards) Eaguet, was born in Marshall, Texas, Janu-
ary 27, 1875. He received his education in local private
schools' and in the University of the South at Sewanee,
Tennessee, and Kenyon College, in Cambria, Ohio He
was associated with his father, directly and indirectly,
for twelve years before the death of the latter, and
succeeded Major Eaguet in business. On November 12,
1903, Mr. James F. Gregg, who had also been associated
with Major Eaguet, became a partner, and the firm then
took its present name of Eaguet & Gregg, general in-
surance and land agents. This business injeality was
originallv established in 1832 by Hayden H. Edwards,
grandfather of Mr. Eaguet, and Nathaniel Emory, in
Nacogdoches, and re-established by Charles M. ^aguet
at Marshall, Texas, in February, 1895. _

Charles H. Eaguet was married in San Antonio April
19 1910 to Miss Harriette Eouse Gallagher of that
city, daughter of John Francis and Harriette (Head)
Gallagher. . „

Mr. Eaguet enlisted in 1897 as a private m Company
D, Third Texas Volunteer Guard (Texas National Guard



TEXAS AND TEXANS



1821



under the "Dick" bill after July, 1903). He served
as an enlisted man, corporal and sergeant, up to May 23,
1900, at which time he was promoted to the rank of
first lieutenant and battalion adjutant. He served in
that rank until April 19, 1910, when he was promoted
to his present rank of captain and assigned as quarter-
master of the Third Eegiment of the Texas National
Guard.



E. B. Black. The career of one of the most
ful of the Texas Panhandle, and a popular and promi-
nent citizen of Hereford, is briefly sketched in the fol-
lowing paragraphs:

E. B. Black was born in Eussell county, Alabama, Oc-
tober 13, 1866, and is a son of Capt. C. B. Black by a
second marriage, his mother being Miss Fannie John-
ston of Putnam county, Georgia. His father came orig-
inally from Virginia to Harris county, Georgia, where he



Online LibraryFrancis White JohnsonA history of Texas and Texans (Volume 4) → online text (page 73 of 177)