Francis White Johnson.

A history of Texas and Texans (Volume 4) online

. (page 74 of 177)
Online LibraryFrancis White JohnsonA history of Texas and Texans (Volume 4) → online text (page 74 of 177)
Font size
QR-code for this ebook


lived several years, later moving to Eussell county, Ala-
bama, where he permanently located. At the outbreak
of hostilities between the North and South, Captain
Black espoused the Southern cause, joined the Confed-
erate army, organized a company of infantry and was
appointed their captain, and was wounded in battle. He
was a prominent planter and a man of considerable in-
fluence in his community. His death occurred in 1873,
when sixty-five years of age, his wife having passed
away in 1867 at the age of forty-five. They were the
parents of seven children, of whom E. B. Black was the
youngest.

Being orphaned at an early age, his schooling was
much neglected and his opportunities for acquiring knowl-
edge or making advancement along educational lines were
very limited. His success in life is not due to his early
advantages, but is the result of indomitable will power
and determination to succeed in spite of obstacles.

Mr. Black came to Texas in 1882 and eventually set-
tled in Cleburne, where for fifteen years he worked in
the dry goods business. In 1901 he moved to Hereford,
where he establishecl his present business. He carries a
full line of modern first-class furniture and household
supplies and has built up an excellent trade in Hereford
and surrounding country, his business having developed
from an humble beginning to one of large proportions.
In addition to his furniture business he also carries a
full line of undertakers ' supplies. To a great degree
Mr. Black possesses those qualities which bring success —
good judgment, business faculty, a high sense of honor
and a just appreciation of the rights of others.

On July 30, 1891, E. B. Black was married at Cle-
burne, Texas, to Carrie English, and to this union have
been born four children: Nellie Dea, born July 17,
1892, and married December 30, 1913, to Mr. TViUiam
Jesse Stanford; James English, born February 8, 1896;
Frances Elizabeth, born December 23, 1899, and William
Alexander, born July 19, 1904.

Mr. Black has become prominent in fraternal circles,
is a member of the local lodges of the Masons, the In-
dependent Order of Odd Fellows, the Knights of Pythias,
the Modern Woodmen of America and the Woodmen of
the World, and in the Masonic fraternity passed all the
chairs in his lodge and is a member of the Eoyal Arch
Chapter. In politics a Democrat, he has not sought
public office, but is discharging the duties of citizenship
by serving as a member of the Hereford school board.

With his family he attends the Methodist Episcopal
Church, South, of which he and all his family are mem-
bers. When he came to Hereford tlio town was two
years old. He organized the Method ist Sunday School
and became its superintendent, which relation he still
sustains. This Sunday School has tlic distinction of
being one of the best in the Texas Panhandle. As one
who has met with success and distinction, he is ever
ready to state his confidence in Hereford and its peo-
ple, and through his efforts and integrity has made this
confidence mutual.



Paui, C. Murphet, M. D. Numbered among the
younger members of the Texas medical fraternity is
found Dr. Paul C. Murphey, who is rapidly rising in
his chosen calling by reason of his ability. Although
he has been engaged in practice at Waco ' only since
1912, he is already in the enjoyment of a good profes-
sional business, and the successes of the past may be
generally taken as a criterion of the future.

Dr. Murphey is a native son of Texas, his birth hav-
ing occurred at Athens, this state, December 4, 1888.
His father, James Lee Murphy, was born in Anderson
county, Texas, in 1854, and for many years was en-
gaged in the cattle business, being known as one of the
largest horse owners of his section of the state. Dr.
Murphey 's mother bore the maiden name of Annie E.
Coleman and was born in Henderson county, Texas, in
1865. She still survives the father, whose death oc-
curred in 1909. There were three children in the family:
Paul C, of this review; Hubbard L. and Julia.

The early education of Dr. Murphey was secured in
the public schools of Athens, this being supplemented by
a course in Itaska High School. Following this, he spent
two terms in the Baylor University, and then, having
decided upon a medical career, he entered Fort Worth
Medical College, from which he was graduated with the
degree of Doctor of Medicine in 1911. A natural athlete,
during his college career Dr. Murphey won honors for his
college in various lines of athletics and was a star player
on the football, baseball and basketball te.ims. Upyn "his
graduation. Dr. Murphey became house surgeon at the
Provident Sanatarium, at Waco, where he obtained valu-
able experience during the one year he acted in that
capacity, and in 1912 entered general practice at Waco.
It is seldom that a young physician just entering upon
his career meets with the almost instantaneous success
that rewarded Dr. Murphey 's efforts, but from the start
he has been successful. He has built up a lucrative
practice among the city's most' representative people.
and is now recognized by his fellow practitioners as a
physician of ability and one who respects the highest
ethics of his honored calling. He is a member of the
McLennan County Medical Society, the Texas State
Medical Society and the Central Texas Medical Society,
and through his membership therein keej.s fully abreast
of the numerous advancements constantly being made in
the field of medicine. He has never ceased being a stu-
dent, and is entirely devoted to his calling, although he
finds time to enjoy social events and is popular with
a wide circle of friends. For a short time he served as
first sergeant of the Hospital Corps of the Texas Na-
tional Guard at Dallas, and during the season of 1913
looked after the injuries sustained by 'he members of
the Waco Baseball Club. He has continued to be fond
of all kinds of outdoor sports, and during his vacations
generally goes on hunting and fishing trips. In poiitica
he is a Democrat. He is a member of the Baptist
church. Dr. Murphey owns his own residence at No. 1915
Sanger avenue. His office is located at No. 1108 Ami-
cable building.

On November 6, 1912, Dr. Murphey was married at
Waco to Miss Cora Lilly, daughter of George W. Lilly,
who was for eight years sheriff of McLennan county, and
is now engaged in the furniture business at Fifth and
Washington streets, Waco.

Hon. William Mercer Key. Wliou the Court of Civi]
Appeals, in the Third Sii|,ivir.' .Tihiiriil Ti'-nirf. was
constituted in 1892, amoi,__ <],. ■■■;,■< Wil-
liam M. Key was foremn-l 1 .i i i- .nid in

popular estimation the niii-l ImjumI ,!<>. i ,. iiir of the
three seats in the court. He had served as .-oiinty judge
of Williamson county and district judge of Travis and
Williamson counties, and his twenty years' service in
the Court of Civil Appeals leaves no doubt as to the
admirable efficiency and wLsdom with which he exercises
his office. Judge Key was at one time a merchant,



1822



TEXAS AND TEXANS



found himself in a sphere unsuited to his disposition and
abilities, gained admission to the bar at the age of
twenty-five, and has won secure honors in Texas judicial
history. The most distinctive feature of his public
•career haS been his unwillingness to put himself for-
ward as an aggressive candidate for position. It has
always been a case of the office seeking the man.

Born in Oglethorpe county, Georgia, October 20, 1850,
Judge Key is a son of Jasper N. and Mary (Howard)
Key. Both parents were born in Georgia. The father,
who was a minister of the Baptist church, came to
Texas with his family in 1853, settled in Gonzales
county, where he combined his profession as a min-
ister of the gospel with the cultivation of the land.
During the period of the Civil war he saw service in
Colonel Cook's regiment of artillery. He lived a long
and useful life and died in 1901, while the mother of
Judge Key passed away in 1867.

The circumstances of the family were such and the
hard conditions incident to the war period also inter-
fered with the early opportunities and advantages af-
forded Judge Key. His education was largely pelf-
applied, and the time which modern boys put in in
attendance at school was spent by him in work on the
farm. He attended private schools to some extent, but
remained at home until the death of his mother in 1S67.
After one year in school he was clerk in stores for two
or three years, and then engaged in merchandising on
his own account. That proved uncongenial, and he came
to Austin and took up the study of law in the office of
John F. Jones. Admitted to the bar in 1875, he moved
to Georgetown, where he opened his office and soon
gained rank as a leading lawyer. His home was at
Georgetown until 1889.

His judicial career began in 1885, when a vacancy
occurred in the office of county judge of Williamson
county. Without any solicitation on his own part, he re-
ceived appointment to fill the vacancy, and later was
elected without opposition. He administered the office
until September, 1888, and then once more the ap-
pointive call was exercised to place him in the office
of judge of the District court of Williamson and Travis
counties. In November, 1888, he was regularly elected
to the District bench for the term of four vears, begin-
ning January 1, 1889. In 1892, when the Court of Civil
Appeals, in the Third Supreme Judicial District, was or-
ganized, he was elected an associate justice of the court,
and remained an associate until Peljruary, 1910, when,
on the death of Chief Justice Fisher, he succeeded him
as chief of the court and has presided over its sessions
with a dignity and ability which have done much to
uphold the fine record of that branch of Texas judiciary.
While Judge Key is a Democrat in polities, he has
never been active in what is called practical politics.
His appointments and elections to the various positions
above enumerated have come practically without op-
position. There were eight candidates for the Court
of Civil Appeals when it was organized, and from the
first there was no thought that he would not be one of
those chosen to constitute the court. Judge Key served
two terms as master of San Gabriel Lodge No. 89, A. F.
& A. M., and also belongs to the Royal Arch Chapter.
He has membership in the Methodist Episcopal church,
South.

In December, 1876, Judge Key married Miss Izora
Scott, a daughter of Samuel A. and Mary Scott, of
Oeorgetown, Texas. The Scott family eanie to Texas
in 1835, S. A. Scott finally settling on the western
frontier in Williamson county, where he became a stock
raiser and planter. Some years later he entered the
ranks of the Confederate army, made a record as a
soldier, and in his community was always looked up to
and respected. He died in 190S and his wife had passed
away about 1867. Mrs. Key has twice been president
of the American History Club of Austin. Their four
children are as follows: Mary, w^ho married Thomas
P. Whitis and lives at Plain View, Texas ; Scott W. Key,



who has gained a successful position as a lawyer at
Haskell, is married and has four children ; Howard W.
Key, an electrical engineer at Atlanta, Georgia, and
connected with the General Electric Company; Samuel N.
Key, who graduated from the medical department of
the University of Texas and is now a specialist on the
eye, ear, nose and throat in Austin, Texas. Each of the
sons has won success in his distinct vocation, and Mr.
and Mrs. Key have cause to congratulate themselves upon
their fine family. The Key home at Austin is at 212
West Twenty-seventh street.

Hon. W. E. Perkins. It wovdd seem an anachronism
to designate the Hon. W. B. Perkins, ' ' the f sfther of Jim
Wells county," for his life span includes little more
than a score and a half of years, but to him the county
must give credit for its existence, his faithful labors
in the State Legislature and among the citizens of this
section having brought about the movement which cul-
minated May 9, 1911, in the forming of this new county.
At that time his fellow citizens gave evidence of their
appreciation of his efforts by electing him the first
county judge, a position he has continued to fill with
dignity and efficiency, and in addition thereto he is ex-
officio county superintendent of schools. His career
since coming to Alice, in 1905, has been one of great
activity and high achievement, and in public, professional
and social life he is recognized as one of the leaders of
the younger generation. Mr. Perkins was born in 1881,
in Holmes county, Mississippi, and is a son of the Rev.
C. W. Perkins. His father, also a native of that county,
was for many years a minister of the Methodist church
there, but in 1893 came to Texas and took charge of a
church of the Methodist denomination in San Antonio,
but has now retired.

W. E. Perkins received his early education in the
public schools of his native county, and was twelve years
of age when he accompanied his parents to Texas,
where he resumed his studies in Southwestern Uni-
versity, Georgetown. Followinig his graduation from
that institution, he entered Sam Houston Normal School,
at Huntsville, and on leaving that school in 1901 en-
tered upon the study of law. After two years spent in
the law department of the University of Texas, at Aus-
tin, he was admitted to the bar in that city in 1905,
and at once came to Alice, which city has since been his
field of activity. Immediately upon locating here, Mr.
Perkins identified himself with matters of a public na-
ture, enterinig actively into political affairs, with the
result that in 1909 he was sent to the Thirty-first Legis-
lature. He had organized the voters of this section for
the purpose of forming the new county of Jim AVells
from the western portion of Nueces county, and the
greater part of his attention while in the Legislature
was devoted to having his bill passed. Mr. Perkins was
elected the first county judge of Jim Wells county. May
9, 1911, and in November, 1912, was re-elected to succeed
himself for the regular term. In the administration
of the affairs of his oflSce he has shown the highest de-
gree of impartiality and executive ability. He has com-
manded the respect of his co-workers and fellow citizens,
creating the impression that he is a man of convic-
tions and judgment, one who can voice his sentiments
before a bodv politic when the occasion arises. Perhaps
the greatest factor in his success is his reliability. The
people always know that he is one of them, and is with
them on all questions pertaining to their welfare, and they
have long since become convinced that his policy is safe
and sure as it is broad, generous and progressive. It
is to such citizens that the county must look for its
future greatness, and a community is indeed fortunate
which possesses men of this caliber.

Mr. Perkins was married to Miss Edith Williams, who
was born and reared at San Marcos, Texas, and to this
union there have been born three daughters, namely:
Dorothy, Lueile and Eulalie.



TEXAS AND TEXANS



Arthur G. Brooke is an able and distinguished mem-
ber of the bar of Panola county and a member of the
firm of Brooke & Woolworth, of Carthage, whose great
success in the winning of criminal cases has won them
wide distinction throughout the Southwest. He comes
of a distinguished family, being a great-grandson of
the Eev. Francis Brooke, an Episcopal clergyman of the
diocese of Chesterfield, Virginia, and of English birth,
who married Lady Mary Cobb. Their son, Dudley
Brooke^ was the father of Judge John C. Brooke, a
prominent citizen and jurist of pioneer days in Texas.

Judge John C. Brooke was born in Virginia, in 1798,
and moved with his parents to Robertson county, Ten-
nessee, as a youth. He was given excellent educational
advantages, aud was admitted to the bar in Tennessee,
Init did not immediately enter upon the practice of his
profession. When he decided to come to the Southwest,
he stopped in Sabine Parish, Louisiana, where he spent
some time in the cultivation of his three large planta-
tions before continuing on his way to the Lone Star
state. He owned a large number of negroes, having
about one hundred at the outbreak of the Civil war,
these being subsequently freed. Upon the question of
the disruption of the Union he agreed with Gen. Sam
Houston in opposing secession, although he was too old
at that time to take any active part in the war between
the North and the South. During the days of the Re-
public, Judge Brooke occupied the bench at San Au-
giistiiip, ;inil stilisequently became chief justice of San
Auuiistiiic .Minity. A man of scholarly tastes, in finish-
ing lii^ .'(lihMi iijii he did a great deal of travel, and
visiti'.l I annus toreign capitals. His literary turn made
him acqiininted with the poets and authors, and he
could quote "the lines" of favorite authors for hours.
Judge Brooke was dignified and proud, was always well
dressed — the best dressed man in Texas during his day,
it was said — and was a genial, polished, courtly and
knightly gentleman. In Texas politics he was a colleague
of Colonel Blount, of Nacogdoches, and John H. Brooks,
ivheel-horses here in public affairs. His career was one
of constant activity and exciting experiences from the
time when he ran away prior to attaining his majority,
riding a horse with a slave boy behind him, and is said
to have never again made his father 's house his home.
He married his first wife in Columbia, Tennessee, and
had a son, Albert, who died in San Augustine, Texas,
without issue. His second wife was Catherine Norvell,
a daughter of Lipscomb Norvell, who was born in New
York state, but came to Texas from Kentucky. Mrs.
Brooke was born in Kentucky in 1821, and her father
was an old hunter who wandered out to Texas aud lo-
cated at the confluence of three rivers in Sabine county
and lived out his life there. He died in 1882, at the
age of eighty-four years. Mrs. Brooke died at Center,
Texas, in 1896, Judge Brooke having passed away in
1879, in Jasper county. He spent his last years in
farming and moved from his Sabine county plantation to
Jasper county just a short time prior to his death. The
children born to Judge Brooke and his wife were: Wil-
liam Dudley, who died leaving a family of children ; Oe-
tavine. who married Judge W. H. Ford and died at
Beaumont, Texas, and Arthur G.

Arthur G. Brooke, of this review, was born in Sabine
county, Texas, June 20, 18fi.3. He prepared himself for
life as a student in Southeastern College, at Jasper,
Texas: attendeil the Agricultural and Mechanical Col-
lege, Texas, and graduated in law at Cumberland Uni-
versity, Lebanon, Texas, in 1885. He located first in
Orange, subsequently moved to Jasper, and then to
Center and Carthage, coming to his present locality in
1896. He was a candidate for district attorney early
in his career as a lawyer, hut was defeated and never
became a candidate for another office. However, he has
been a leader among his county people in politics, is a
stalwart Democrat, and was chairman of the Panola
County Central Committee for several years. Mr. Brooke
tried his first lawsuit in Jasper county before Justice of



the Peace Ralls, the suit involving the possession of
personal property, a bull. The justice told Mr. Brooke
that he (the justice) knew all about the case and that
it would not be necessary for him to have a jury, as he
could render a verdict in his client 's favor. When
the case was tried, however, the justice promptly ren-
dered a verdict for the other man. Mr. Brooke brought
suit in the district court against the justice and his
official bondsmen for $5,000, which frightened them to
such an extent that they lost no time in compromising
the matter to the entire satisfaction of Mr. Brooke's
client.

Among the many cases of the legal firm of Brooke &
Woolworth which have attracted attention, one of the
most interesting is that of Dulaney vs. Brooke. This
suit grew out of the refusal of Mr. Brooke as chairman
of the Democratic County Committee to certify Du-
laney 's name as a candidate for district clerk of Panola
county. Mr. Brooke took the ground that under the law
the population of the county did not justify the election
of both a county clerk and a district clerk. The case
went to the Supreme Court and resulted in a finding
against the contention of Mr. Brooke, and this case has
served as a precedent in several subsequent eases. The
fame of the firm of Brooke iSc Woolworth has spread, not
alone over Panola county, but into adjoining communi-
ties. On a number of occasions this firm has taken
what have been considered ' ' forlorn hopes ' ' and brought
them to a successful issue. Mr. Brooke 's management of
evidence before a jury, his tact, and his unusual powers
of pleading have frequently come to notice, and have
contributed to an unusually high standing in the Texas
lar. He is a stockholder in the Timpson & Henderson
Railway Company, of which his firm is the legal repre-
sentative in all suits. He has taken an interest in fra-
ternal work, belonging to the Woodmen of the World,
the Independent Order of Odd Fellows, the Improved
Order of Red Men ami the Knights of Pythias, and in
all of these is highly esteemed, and in the last named
has been a representative to the Grand Lodge of the
State.

On August 6, 1884, while a resident of Jasper county,
Texas, Mr. Brooke was united in marriage with Miss
Alice Cheatham, daughter of Col. James Cheatham, a
pioneer Texan and a cousin of the Confederate General
Cheatham. The children born to this union are: John C,
who took law in the T'niversity of Texas, had his dis-
abilities removed so as to enter the practice before he
came of age, and is now county attorney of Brewster
county, Texas; Kate, Sybil, Beulah and Hazel.

John T. Duncan. Recently president of the Texas
State Bar Association, John T. Duncan has practiced
law in Texas for more than thirty-five years, and is one
of the distinguished men in his profession. His home
throughout his practice has been at LaGrange and he
has identified himself with numerous public activities
outside the immediate limits of his work as a lawyer.

Mr. Duncan represents two of the old American fam-
ilies in Texas, and the Duncan family, of Scotch descent,
was founded in Virginia before the war of the American
Revolution. The great-grandfather of John T. Duncan,
Coleman Duncan, moved from Loudon county, Virginia,
to Nelson county, Kentucky, in 1792, and was the an-
cestor of the branch of the family now found in Texas.
John T. Duncan was born in Washington county. Texas,
one of the oldest seats of American colonization, in
1854. His parents were George J. and Elizabeth ( Dal-
lasj Duncan. The father, who was born in 1810 near
Louisville, Kentucky, came to Texas in 1>;.">9, during the
era of the Republic, settling in Washington county, where
he was a farmer. In 1851 he was married and con-
tinued to make his home in Washington county until
1880, when he moved to Milam county and lived there
until his death in 1893. Soon after coming to Texas
he enlisted for service in one of the campaigns against



1824



TEXAS AND TEXANS



Mexico following the winning of independence in 1836,
and in 1840 was a member of the Summervelle expedi-
tion and went as far as Laredo, suffering many hard-
ships in that campaign. Elizabeth Dallas, mother of
Mr. Duncan, was born in Kentucky in 1829 and died in
1906. Her parents were natives of Pennsylvania, moved
from that state to Kentucky, and came to Texas in

1833, three years before the winning of independence
from Mexico. They settled near the old town of Inde-
pendence, in Washington county, and her father died in

1834, leaving the children to the care of the widowed
mother, and a short time later the entire family had to
flee before the advance of Santa Anna in the famous
' ' Eunaway Scrape ' ' preceding the battle of San Jacinto.

John T. Duncan was educated at the Baylor Uni-
versity when that institution was located at Independ-
ence, graduating in 1877. Immediately following his
graduation he moved to LaGrange and entered the law
office of Timmons & Brown, completed his law studies
with that well-known firm of lawyers, and was admitted
to the bar in June, 1878. His first practice was in part-
nership with E. J. Andrews, which continued until the
death of Mr. Andrews in 1881. In about 1882 he formed
a partnership with Paul Meerscheidt, and the firm was



Online LibraryFrancis White JohnsonA history of Texas and Texans (Volume 4) → online text (page 74 of 177)