Francis White Johnson.

A history of Texas and Texans (Volume 4) online

. (page 77 of 177)
Online LibraryFrancis White JohnsonA history of Texas and Texans (Volume 4) → online text (page 77 of 177)
Font size
QR-code for this ebook


become a flourishing city must deserve more honor
than those who follow after him and reap the benefits
of his progressive enterprise. In Guadalupe county, the
flourishing town of Schertz stands a memorial to the
enterprise of the Schertz family, and William Schertz
above named was chiefly responsible for its growth and
development. Mr. William Schertz, whose home is in
San Antonio, is one of the most extensive land owners
and farmers in that part of the state, and represents
one of the splendid pioneer families of Southwestern
Texas.

William Schertz was born on his father's farm on
the Cibolo at what is now the town of Schertz in
Guadalupe county in 1870, a son of Sebastian and
Elizabeth (Eittiman) Schertz. Both jides of the family
have an interesting history. Sebastian Schertz was born
in Alsace-Lorraine, came to Texas in 1843, two years
later joined the Castro and Solms-Braunfels colonies
which arrived in the Republic that year as the advance
guard of the great German colonization movement in
Texas. Mr. Schertz spent his first two years in San
Antonio, lived for a time at New Braunfels, and then on
a farm on the Cibolo River in the southern part of Comal
county. Another move was made to a farm on the Guad-
alupe river, also in Comal county, about twenty-five miles
from New Braunfels. After a trip by wagon in 1866
to Missouri, he returned with his family and settled
in the southwestern corner of Guadalupe county, where
it joins Bexar and Comal, and engaged in farming on
an extensive scale and was soon recognized as the



leading man of enterprise in that section. With the
building of the Southern Pacific railroad in 1876 the
Schertz cotton gin became the nucleus for a little settle-
ment, and both a railroad station and a postoffice were
established. Sebastian Schertz lived there until his
death in 1889.

Elizabeth (Eittiman) Schertz was also born in Alsace-
Lorraine, but came to this country with the Castro
colony. Her brother, John Eittiman, who died at his
home in Schertz, in the spring of 1913, was born in
Alsace, came to Texas in 1845 with the Castro colony,
and first located at D 'Hanis in Medina county. He
experienced all the dangers and hardships of pioneer
and frontier life, coming often in contact with the
Indians as well as with the hard usage of primitive
pioneering. His family subsequently moved to the
Cibolo river in Guadalupe county, and in 1861 John
Eittiman enlisted with the Third regiment of Texas
Infantry and spent about four years in the Confederate
army, his service being chiefly in this state. After the
war he lived for a great many years in Comal county,
but in 1903 established his home at Schertz. Mrs.
Elizabeth Schertz, who is still living, became the mother
of five sons and one daughter, William, Adolph, Martin,
Henry, Ferdinand and Augusta. All these are still liv-
ing at Schertz except Henry, whose home is in Cali-
fornia, and William, whose home is now in San
Antonio.

William Schertz, starting in as a young man in the
mercantile business on his home place, did mpre than
anything else to establish the commercial center of
Schertz, and his store was the first business activity
there except the cotton gin, which his father had estab-
lished in 1870. From 1892, when he opened his stock
of goods for the trade, William Schertz continued
prosperously in the mercantile business until November
1, 1907, a period of fifteen years. He then sold out
to a company composed of his clerks, who are still
continuing the business under the name of the Schertz
Mercantile Company. After keeping his residence at
Schertz untU July, 1909, Mr. Schertz moved his home
to San Antonio. In the spring of 1913 he disposed
of all his remaining interests at the old town, and is
now devoting his time to his extensive land and farm
interests and is one of the largest owners of farm land
in Southwest Texas. During his residence at Schertz
Mr. Schertz also held the office of postmaster. His
landed possessions are situated in Bexar, Eunnells, Frio,
Atascosa, Caldwell, Dimmitt, Gonzales and other coun-
ties, including a farm at Mission in the lower Eio Grande
Valley. Mr. Schertz was reared on a farm, was a
farmer until taking up mercantile activities, and since
selling his store has gone back to his old occupation
and is one of the best managers of the resources of the
soil in this section of the state. His farming opera-
tions are conducted largely through tenants and from
his headquarters in San Antonio he is able to keep
in close touch with his properties by frequent visits in
almost every direction from that city. While William
Schertz has withdrawn from the business activities of
the tovrn where he was reared, other members of the
family still keep up the prestige of the name as leading
business men. For a number of years the cotton gin
established by the father was carried on by Adolph and
Martin Schertz, but Martin has since retired from the
firm, and Adolph is sole proprietor of the gin and also
occupies the old homestead farm in the vicinity.

Mr. William Schertz, whose home is at 329 W. Craig
Place in San Antonio, married Miss Bertha Willenbrock,
who was born in Bexar county just across the line from
the Schertz place in Guadalupe county. They have a
young son, Edgar Schertz, born in 1901.

Edward P. Mangum. The native sons of the Lone>
Star state have ably carried forward the progressive,
civic and industrial activities to which original impetus



TEXAS AND TEXANS



1831



was given by prior generations, and have well upheld
the prestige of the commonwealth through their sterling
services. Such an one is he whose name initiates this
paragraph, for he is one of the representative young
agriculturists and stock-growers of Hunt county and is
a citizen who commands secure vantage-ground in popu-
lar confidence and esteem, as is vouchsafed by the fact
that he is now serving his second term as representative
of Hunt county in the state legislature, in which his
record has been marked by discrimination, loyalty and
efficiency.

Mr. Mangum was born in Delta county, Texas, on the
5th of October, 1S79, and is a son of William E. and
Delina James (Murray) Mangum, the former of whom
was born in the state of Mississippi and the latter in
Illinois, though she was reared in Texas, to which state
her parents removed when she was a child. William E.
Mangum served as a valiant soldier of the Confederacy
in the Civil war, as a member of a Mississippi regiment,
and participated in important engagements marking the
progress of the great conflict between the North and
the South. About the time of the close of the war he
eame to Texas and obtained a tract of land in Delta
county, and soon after moved to Hunt county, where he
has developed a large and valuable farm and where he
has been specially successful in his operations as an
agriculturist and stock-grower. He has contributed in
generous measure to the civic and industrial progress of
the county and has been a citizen of prominence and in-
fluence in connection with public affairs of a local order,
the while his sterling character has gained and re-
tained to him the confidence and high regard of all who
know him. He is a stalwart in the camp of the Demo-
cratic party; both he and his wife hold membership in
the Methodist Episcopal Church, South, and he mani-
fests his continued interest in his old comrades in arms
by retaining affiliation with the United Confederate
Veterans' Association. He has now virtually retired
from the more onerous duties which long engrossed his
attention, and he and his wife now reside in an attrac-
tive home in the little city of Commerce, Hunt county,
about three miles distant from the old homestead farm,
in Delta county.

Hon. Edward P. Mangum gained his early experience
in connection with the work of the homestead farm just
mentioned and his preliminary educational advantages
were those afforded in the excellent public schools of
Commerce, Hunt county, in which place he continued
to reside until his removal to Greenville, the judicial
center of the county, where he established his home in
June, 1912. His educational training was most effec-
tively supplemented by a course in the celebrated Van-
derbilt University, in the City of Nashville, Tennessee,
in which institution he was a student for part of two
terms, 1901-03, and in which he specialized in philosophy
and political economy — a line of study that has proved
of marked value to him in his service as a member of the
legislature of his native state. Prior to entering this
university he was for a time a student in the East Texas
Normal College, at Commerce.

Mr. Mangum took the following degrees at East Texas
Normal College: B. S., B. A. and A. JVI. He taught
philosophy and literature in the institution for three
years and is very proud of the record he made there and
of the school. He was one of the youngest teachers of
the above branches in the state.

From his youth to the present time Mr. Mangum has
taken a lively and intelligent interest in political and
economic affairs and has been unwavering in his allegi-
ance to the Democratic party, in whose cause he has
given yeoman service. In 1910 he was elected a repre-
sentative of Hunt county in the lower house of the state
legislature, and he proved a valuable working member of
that body during the Thirty-second general assembly,
with the result that in November, 1912, he was re-
elected by a most gratifying majority, the result at the



polls attesting not only his personal popularity, but also,
the public estimate placed upon his services in the legis-
lature. In the Thirty-second assembly he was chair-
man of the committee on commerce and manufactures,
vice-chairman of the committee on state affairs, and a
member of other important house committees. As a
legislator he has been specially alert and enthusiastic
in the furtherance of educational work and his interest
in the same has been shown by his private advocacy of
progressive policies in the maintenance of the public-
schools and higher institutions of learning in the state.

Mr. Mangum is the owner of three valuable farms of
500 acres, situated some distance from the City of Com-
merce, and devoted specially to the raising of fine horses.
To this estate he gives a careful supervision and he
takes pride in being numbered among the progressive
agriculturists and stock-growers of his native common-
wealth. He and his wife are popular factors in the rep-
resentative social activities of Greenville and both are
zealous members of the Methodist Episcopal Church,
South.

On the 4th of June, 1912, was solemnized the mar-
riage of Mr. Mangum to Miss Clara E. Perkins, daugh-
ter of Judge George S. and Mary (Ganes) Perkins, of
Greenville, the father a leading lawyer and jurist of'
northern Texas.

Db. Amcs Graves, Sr. For thirty-five years, or, until
his death in 1912, Dr. Amos Graves, Sr., was regarded as
a foremost member of his profession in San Antonio, and
as a physician and surgeon not only had the large prac-
tice which is the object of every doctor's ambition,
but enjoyed some of the finer distinctions and honors
of the profession in general.

Dr. Amos Graves, Sr., was born in North Mississippi
in 1842. As a young man he served with distinction
as a Confederate soldier throughout the war under Gen.
Nathan Bedford Forrest, having followed that dash-
ing cavalryman in many of his brilliant campaigns. At
the close of the war he entered the medical department
of the University of Virginia, was a student there two
years, and finished his preparation for medicine in the
department of the University of Louisiana (now Tulane-
University) graduating M. D. in 1868. His first choice
of location was at Lexington, Missouri, where he prac-
ticed with growing success until 1876, when on account
of failing health brought on by hard work as a general
praetioner, he removed to Texas, locating on a ranch
in Frio county. Two years of open door life, employed
in looking after his interests as a sheep raiser, with
some incidental practice in medicine and surgery, fully
restored him to health, and in 1878 he located per-
manently in San Antonio. He soon rose to the highest
rank in the local medical fraternity, and until almost
the time of his death was constantly engaged in a.
busy practice. He had the generosity and the humanity
of the true physician, and a large part of his work
was performed without remuneration. For twenty years.
Dr. Graves, Sr., was medical director for the San Antonio
and Arkansas Pass railroad, and from 1888 to 1902
was medical director of G. H. & S. A. Railroad.

Outside of his profession the senior Dr. Graves made-
some highly successful ventures in business affairs. It
was he who promoted and built the San Antonio Union
Stock Yards, and also the packing houses now known
as the Union Meat Company. Of the latter com-ern he

was for a long time sole owner, but (iii:ill\ A'-i 1

of the Union Meat Co. and a one-halt m'^ ■ ih.

Union Stock Yards. He was one of the cIl! . ■ ' -
of the San Antonio Club, and had a jnoiniMii: imit
in various other civic and social organizations, also
was a member of the county and state medical societies,
and the American Medical Association. An esteemed
and representative citizen of San Antonio, his death
after a short illness closed a career of great usefulness^

Dr. Amos Graves, Sr., was married at Lexington^



1832



TEXAS AND TEXANS



Missouri, in 1869, to Miss Georgia Eiley Smith, who was
born in Missouri and died January 16, 1914, at the
age of sixty-five. There are three children: Dr. Amos
Graves Jr., born in 1870; Miss Jane Smithie Graves;
and Olive, wife of Major George Martin of the U. S. A.
Dr. Amos Graves, Jr., whose birthplace was Lexington,
Missouri, spent his boyhood and youth at San Antonio,
attended the public schools, and is a graduate in medi-
cine from the University of Pennsylvania, having been
a member of the class of 1892. For the past twenty-two
years he has enjoyed a large and general practice as
a physician and surgeon at San Antonio, and his of-
fices are in the Moore building.

Homer Eads. The training school of railroad system
and discipline is constantly graduating men of excep-
tional executive power into other fields of commercial
affairs. It was from an eventful career in the railway
service tluit Homer Eads, after resigning from the posi-
tion of superintendent of the International and Great
Northern Railway in the fall of 1911, turned his ex-
perience and broad ability to insurance. Mr. Eads is
now president and active head of the Southwestern
Casualty 'Insurance Company of San Antonio.

It should be said that it was the hardest task of his
life to quit the railroad, with which he had been con-
nected for more than thirty years. His high position
in the railroad world was won entirely through his own
efforts. A capacity for hard work and a determination
to succeed took him from office boy to superintendent,
and in that time he not only mastered the art of run-
ning a railroad and mnrinijing men, but has always been
successful in wiiiiiiiiir tlic inlmiration of his subordinates
through his businr<^ iilnlilv ;,ii.l their friendship through
the charm of liis ).. rsnimlty. Beginning as an office
boy at the age of nine, he liecame an expert telegrapher
and dispatcher, was promoted through various positions
to that of superintendent of the San Antonio Division,
extending from Palestine to Laredo, four hundred and
twenty-five miles, the longest and most important rail-
road division in Texas. At the time of his resignation
he received letters from Judge T. J. Freeman, then
president of the road, and from all other officials and
ex-officials of the company, all of them warm personal
friends, many of them of long years standing. These
letters express the sincere regret of the writers at Mr.
Eads' resignation and contains words of the highest
commendation for his ability and the unswerving fidelity
and rectitude of his career as a railroad official. For
the two years immediately preceding his resignation,
there had not been a main line derailment on his
division, a record practically unheard of in the history
of railroad operation. It should also be stated that Mr.
Eads never asked for a promotion or an increase in
salary, these favors always came to him voluntarily from
the higher officials. There was every reason why Mr.
Eads could have gone much higher in railroad circles,
but he had achieved the highest position possible that
would permit him to live in his home city, San Antonio.
He did not care to leave the Alamo city on account of
the long years of association, both on the part of him-
self and his family, with the business and social affairs
of that community, the numerous and lasting friend-
ships formed, to say nothing of the property interests
which he had acquired and which he did not care to
give up.

Homer Eads was born in Sumter county, Alabama, a
son of Thomas and Clementine (Hight) Eads, who
brought his family from Alabama to Texas in 1861,
when the subject "of this sketch was three months old,
locating first at what was then the important river town
of Port Sullivan on the Brazos in Milam county, but
afterwards going to Caldwell in Burleson county. The
father was a teacher by profession, and followed that
calling a number of years in this state, dying at Bryan
about forty years ago.



Homer Eads began his railway career as
at Hearne in the office of H. M. Hoxie, who for many
years had charge of the Gould railway interests in the
Southwest. At that time Hearne was the southern
terminus of the International and Great Northern. Mr.
Eads in addition to running errands and performing
the various duties of office boy, quickly learned the art
of telegraphy, and was given his first responsible work
as station agent at Eiverside, and subsequently was
promoted to the dispatcher's office in Palestine. As the
construction of the road was pushed south toward the
Mexican border, Mr. Eads became operator and ticket
agent at Rockdale, and eventually handled the work of
freight agent in the same place.

During the first fifteen years of his experience in
railroading, his superiors had found that Mr. Eads could
be depended upon, and possessed not only the ability
to obey without question, Ijut in a ease where orders were
vague or lacking entirely, had the courage to go ahead
on his own responsibility and do the work or get the
business. In 1887 he first became a resident of San
Antonio, having been transferred to that city as com-
mercial agent, with the later addition of general live
stock agent. Mr. Eads has made his home in San
Antonio since that time with the exception of about
two years when he was called to Palestine to assume
charge of the car service department with the title of
assistant to the general manager and superintendent of
car service. Not being satisfied to live in Palestine, at
his own request he was transferred again to San Antonio,
and given the title of assistant general freight agent
in charge of commercial freight and live stock with
headqiiarters at San Antonio. This position brought
him very closely in touch with the great live-stock inter-
ests of Southwestern Texas, and during the following
years he exerted every effort to perfect conditions for
the transportation of live stock, and is said to have
been as much a part of the live stock interests in South-
western Texas as any other one man. During his man-
agement International & Great Northern originated
more live-stock shipments than any other road in the
state.

In February, 1907, Mr. Eads was promoted from as-
sistant general freight agent and general live stock
agent to the office of superintendent of the San Antonio
Division of the I. & G. N., which gave him charge of
the four hundred and twenty-five miles of track from
Palestine to Laredo. This was one of the heaviest and
most important divisions of the Texas railroad, and
during the following four years Mr. Eads occupied a
correspondingly increased place of influence in South-
west Texas affairs. In the many years of continued
service with the International & Great Northern, Mr.
Eads had filled many positions, telegraph operator, sta-
tion agent, train dispatcher, commercial agent, assistant
general freight agent and superintendent of car service,
assistant to the general manager, and later superintend-
ent of the longest division of the road.

In 1911 the Southwestern Casualty Insurance Com-
pany of San Antonio was organized and Mr. Eads was
offered the presidency and general managership of the
company, and a$:er many months' consideration decided
to accept, both for the reasons which have already been
enumerated and also because of his confidence that the
company had a great future. Though the company
began business at the close of the year 1911. it has
since made remarkable strides, and in the insurance in
force, the surplus to policy holders and in the general
strength and resources of the company organization it
stands as one of the best companies occupying the in-
surance field of the Southwest. Mr. Eads is also presi-
dent of the Home Insurance Association of San Antonio
and is vice president of the Southern Surety Casualty
Conference.

The career of Homer Eads has not been one alto-
gether of business achievements. San Antonio has no



TEXAS AND TEXANS



1833



more enthusiastic or persistent worker for the welfare
of the city, and while devoted to the growth and grow-
ing prestige of the Texas metropolis, he has worked
untiringly for the development of every section about
San Antonio. In his position as a railway official he had
many opportunities to favor San Antonio, and never
neglected one and many times originated plans which
would further advertise the city to the world and would
be the means of bringing about improvements commer-
cially and municipally. He was instrumental in getting
two conventions of the Texas Cattle Growers Associa-
tion held in San Antonio. The San Antonio Fair Asso-
ciation numbers him as one of its organizers and a
prominent official, and for some time he had charge of
the Mexican features of_the fair, in 1905 having gone
to the city of Mexico as chairman of a committee to
extend an invitation to President Diaz to participate in
the fair and make an exhibit. He has also been prom-
inently identified with Carnival Association, the Casino
Association, and many other civic and social bodies.
It was Mr. Eads who "helped to bring the Hot Sulphur
Wells south of San Antonio into notice as a resort and
sanitarium. For eight years he served as member of
the lioard of managers of the Southwest Insane Asylum,
located near San Antonio, and devoted much time to
bringing that institution to its model conditions as a
public philanthropy. In 1906 he was appointed a mem-
ber of the executive committee in charge of the Chapel
and Library building presented to the military post of
Fort Sam Houston of San Antonio by the residents of
that city, and was one of the leaders in the campaign
for the raising of twenty-five thousand dollars neces-
sary to complete that enterprise. Mr. Eads has done
much valuable work in connection with the associated
charities of San Antonio, was chairman of the finance
committee two years, and on January 1, 1914, was
unanimously elected president of the associated char-
ities, filling the place voluntarily vacated by Dr. Frank
Paschal. Prominent in Masonic circles, Mr, Eads is a
Knights Templar in the York Eite and has taken thirty-
two degrees of the Scottish Eite, and also affiliates
with the Woodmen of the World and the Independent
Order of Odd Fellows. He belongs to the Travis Club
and the Chamber of Commerce of San Antonio. Mr.
Eads has one of the beautiful homes in San Antonio,
and his wife is an active leader in social circles. He
has two sons and a charming daughter. Miss Helen G.
Eads.

HoMEK T. Wilson, Jr., M. D. This is a uame with
prominent associations in Texas. The senior is Rev. Dr.
Homer T. Wilson, noted as a minister and lecturer and
one of the most prominent platform orators and public
speakers in the country. The junior of the name is a
young physician and surgeon of San Antonio.

Eev. Dr. Homer T. Wilson was born at Bardstown,
Kentucky, March 29, 1850, was reared in that locality,
and was educated in the University of Kentucky at
Lexington, the university then being known as Tran-
sylvania University. In that institution he prepared
for the ministry, and on leaving college began his active



Online LibraryFrancis White JohnsonA history of Texas and Texans (Volume 4) → online text (page 77 of 177)