Francis White Johnson.

A history of Texas and Texans (Volume 4) online

. (page 8 of 177)
Online LibraryFrancis White JohnsonA history of Texas and Texans (Volume 4) → online text (page 8 of 177)
Font size
QR-code for this ebook


works which he has planned and executed. It must
suffice to make allusion to those incidents of a useful
life which will afford the best clue to the character of
the man and to his admirable achievements. Julian
Clarence Feild was born in the city of Denison, Texas,
his present field of activity, September 9, 1881, and is
a son of Dr.- J. C. and Susan Elizabeth (McClain) Feild.
The father was born at Pulaski, Giles county, Tennessee,
of French-Scotch ancestry, July 5, 1841, received a good
education, graduating from Tulane University, and began
the practice of medicine at Little Eock, Arkansas. At
the outbreak of the Civil war he cast his fortunes with the
Confederacy, serving for a time as surgeon and subse-
quently rising to the rank of colonel in the command of
General Benjamin McCulloch. He served valiantly
throughout the war, and was wounded slightly on several
occasions, his engagements including the battles of Oak
Eidge and House of Seven Gables.

After the restoration of peace Dr. FeUd took a post-
graduate course in medicine at Philadelphia, and in 1865
went to Fort Smith, Arkansas, where he remained in
practice for five years. In 1870 he removed to the Old
Boggy depot, in Indian Territory, but in 1872 came to
Denison as fine of this city's earliest physicians, here
continuing in practice until the time of his death, Jan-
uary 31, 1906. Dr. Feild was justly accounted one of
Denison 's most helpful and progressive men. At all
times he did all in his power to promote the interests
of his adopted community and saw his labor bear fruit
in the various walks of life. A successful physician and
surgeon, he also demonstrated his ability in financial
matters as one of the founders of the National Bank of




'^^^l.^vt^'Q^^



TEXAS AND TEXANS



1617



Denison, was prominent in Masonic circles, and met with
tUe appreciation of his fellow citizens in public matters,
his record during his two terms in the State Legislature
and in other offices of the county and State being an
active and honorable one. Dr. Feild married Susan
Elizabeth McClain, who was born September 23, 1855, at
Osceola, Missouri, of Seotch-Englisli descent, aud of
their children two are living: Mis. W. J. Mathis, the
wife of Judge W. J. Matbis, of Sherman, Texas, and
Julian Clarence.

Julian C. Feild received his early education in the
public schools of Denison, subsequently attended Har-
shaw 's Academy, of this city, and then became a student
in the University of Texas, at Austin. In 1902 he was
graduated from Cumberland University, Lebanon, Ten-
nessee, with the degree of Bachelor of Science, and his
first work at his profession was that of railroad location
and construction, in which he continued to be engaged
from 1902 until 1907, thus gaining excellent practical
experience. In the latter year he resigned his position
to return to Denison, and here he has rapidly risen to
a high place among the civil and consulting engineers of
Northern Texas. At this time he maintains offices at
Suite 5-8, Feild Building. A list of Mr. Feild 's achieve-
ments and incumbencies shows that he has been city
engineer of Denison for more than five years; he is con-
sulting engineer for the Southwestern Surety Insurance
Company ; engineer of the Bed Eiver Bridge Company of
Denison ; engineer of Milam and Robertson counties,
Texas, aud consulting engineer of the Oklahoma, Texas &
Gulf Highway Association. It is probably in the line of
good roads that Mr. Feild has been brought most promi-
nently before the public, however. One of the first road
builders in this part of the State, he has been connected
with work that will run into millions of dollars spent in
improving roads in the northern part of Texas, this
being the third system of its kind in the State. He is
also engineer of Eoad District No. 1, and is just com-
pleting about $300,000 worth of improvements radiating
from Denison. That he has not devoted his entire atten-
tion to the building of highways is shown by his active
piarticipation in all movements making for the welfare
of Denison in any way. He has seen the city grow
amazingly since his residence here and in no small degree
has contributed to this wonderful development. In his
profession Mr. Feild is known as a man who combines
prudence with boldness, who is able to differentiate
between the valuable and the impracticable and visionary,
and whose untiring energy keeps him constantly active
among the helpful men of his vocation. He seldom
takes vacations, a-nd when he does is generally found in
one or another of the large cities, combining business
with pleasure hj studying the methods and ideas of
other communities. Devoted to his profession, he has
found little time for politics, yet is known as an earnest
and enthusiastic supporter of the best principles of the
Democratic party. He is a member of the Chamber of
Commerce and chairman of the good roads committee.
In fraternal life he has been more active. While at
Cumberland University he became a member of the
Beta Theta Pi fraternity, and he now holds membership
in the Benevolent and Protective Order of Elks, and
has risen to a high place in Masonry, being eminent com-
mander of the Knights Templar of that order. With
his family he attends the Episcopal church, and for some
time has served in the capacity of vestryman.

On June 10. 1903, Mr. Feild was married at Lebanon,
Tennessee, to Miss Mary Lea Sanders, daughter of John
C, and Katy B. (Lea) Sanders, the latter the daughter
of the Hon. Benjamin J. Lea, who was chief justice of
the Supreme Court of Tennessee. Mr. Sanders is a
prominent practicing attorney of Lebanon, and also
prominent in business life as president of the Cedar
City Mills. One child has been born to Mr. and Mrs.
Feild: Katherine Elizabeth, born February 24, 1908.



The Feild home, one of the modern residences of Denison,
is located at No. 1123 West Gaudy street.

E. F. Pool is the president of the Sherman Overall
Factory, one of the prominent industries of Sherman
and its vicinity. Although born in Alabama, his natal
day being the 14th of May, 1862, Mr. Pool has been a
resident of Texas since boyhood, and here he has gained
his success and at the same time added to the material
prosperity of his community. His father, Gabriel Pool,
was an Alabama farmer who came to Texas in 1870,
locating in Milan county, where he resumed his vocation
of farming and continued it to the end of his days,
dying in 1905. His widow survived him until 1909.
They became the parents of twelve children. When
Mrs. Pool passed away she was in her ninety-second
year, and in the seventy-fifth year of her marriage she
could count the births of one hundred and sixty-six
children in her family, including her own children, her
grandchildren, her great-grandchildren and her great-
great-grandchildren and her great-great-great-grand-
children — a circumstance most unique and seldom
encountered in genealogical and biographical research.
Of that number one hundred and thirty-eight were living
when she passed away, and during her seventy-five years
of married life there were only twenty-eight deaths in
the entire family, only nine of that number being adults.
She was Alpha Brussell in her maidenhood, and she came
of a family that is noted for its good health and
longevity.

E. F. Pool, the youngest of the twelve children of his
parents, received a limited education in the public schools
of Texas, and his first business enterprise of an inde-
pendent nature was as a general merchant at Cameron,
Texas, where he launched a small business in 1881. From
there he went to Amarilla, and in 1911 came to Sherman,
here buying the Sherman overall business, in which he
has since continued successfully. The firm is engaged
in the manufacture of overalls and as wholesale dealers
in the men "s furnishing goods, and the trade of the
establishment extends throughout Texas, Oklahoma, Mis-
souri, Arkansas and Louisiana. About sixty people are
given employment, and it adds very materially to the
business enterprise and iudnsii i:il .■i.iiviiy ni' (he city.

Mr. Pool has been a litV lun^ Ilumh i:ii, :iiiive in the
interests of the party, and is li .itn ikiIIv iilciililied with
the Knights of Pythias. \\ ith Ins lamdy he is a member
of the Baptist church.

In 1886, in Milano, Texas, Mr. Pool was married to
Miss Minta Fraim, a daughter of John E. Fraim, a
merchant of that place for many years. Mr. and Mrs.
Pool have four living children: 0. L., aged twenty-six,
is secretary and treasurer of the business of which his
father is the president, the Sherman Overall Factory;
Eoy F,, aged twenty, is a student in the College of Mines
at EoHa, Missouri; Miss Lorine, aged sixteen years, is in
school, as is also John, now thirteen years of age.

Though a resident of the city for only a short time
E. F. Pool is highly impressed with the many advantages
of Sherman, and regards it as a growing city and one
that will play an important part in the history of the
state in the years to come. He and his family have an
excellent social and business standing in the community,
and they already enjoy the friendship of an ever widen-
ing circle in and about the city.

Poland Jones. One of the important business con-
cerns of Nacogdoches is the Nacogdoches Compress
Company, an establishment which represents the' chief
business activity of Eoland Jones, president and manager
of the company. Mr. Jones has lived in Nacogdoches
since 1890. His iirst experience in the cotton business
began with Mayer & Schmidt as classer and shipper,
and he subsequently became a buyer on his own account.
For six years he held the position of public weigher.
From that he turned to compress work, leasing the



1618



TEXAS AND TEXANS



compress at Nacogdoches, and after a time joiued Her-
man Loeb and John Schmidt in purchasing the plant.
The business «as reorganized and the first oHicers of the
company were: Herman Loeb, president; Roland Jones,
vice-president and manager, and John Schmidt, secretary
and treasurer. Later Mr. Loeb sold out his interest to
Mr. Jones, and the latter then became president and
manager with E. A. Blount as vice-president, while Mr.
Schmidt continued as secretary and treasurer. This com-
pany does the compress work for a large proportion of
the cotton raised in the vicinity of Nacogdoches.

Eoland Jones was born in Caddo parish, Louisiana, on
December 27, 1862. His family is one that for more
than seventy years has been prominent in western
Louisiana and eastern Texas. His father was Eoland
Jones, Sr., a North Carolina man, a graduate of the
Cambridge Law School and who came to Shreveport in
1840, and was one of the original stock company which
established the town of Shreveport. He was a success-
ful lawyer and business man, and died at Shreveport in
1869 at the age of sixty years. He was elected and
served a term in Congress; was an ardent southerner,
but physically unable to go into the army, and did his
part during the war in connection with the legal depart-
ment of the Confederacy at Shreveport. During most
of his years, he was identified with public affairs in
Louisiana, served as district judge for a long time, and
there was seldom a year in which he was not performing
some official duty in his home city. Judge Jones was a
member of the Episcopal church and fraternally is a
Mason. In Wilkes county. North Carolina, near Salis-
bury, he married Miss Anne Neville Stokes. Her father
was Governor Montford Stokes of North Carolina, and
her mother's maiden name was Eachel Montgomery.
Mrs. Eoland Jones died in 1S94 at the age of seventy-
eight. The children are given brief record as follows:
Montfort Stokes Jones was a prominent jurist of Louisi-
ana, was widely known as a journalist, had much part in
state politics, and died at Shreveport in 1904 ; Mrs. Kate
B. Pickett, the wife of James B. Pickett, died in Shreve-
port; Mary died in Denver, Colorado; Mrs. Conway
Moncure, lives in Shreveport; Mrs. Charles K. Randall
is also a resident of Shreveport, and the youngest is
Eoland Jones, Jr.

Roland Jones, Jr., grew up at Shreveport, where most
of his education was supplied by Thatcher Academy.
His early training was for the profession of civil engineer,
and in that profession he worked several years on the
New Orleans, Pacific & Mississippi Valley Eailroad, going
out as an ax-man, and was eventually promoted to the
position of superintendent of track on the Mississippi
Valley Eoad. Soon afterwards he began his career in
the cotton business, and that has absorbed practically
all his attention and energy for the past twenty-sLx
years. Mr. Jones has a very successful record as a
business man, and is very popular in Nacogdoches and
vicinity. He is interested in affairs outside of his private
business, and home community, and is one of the life
members of the Texas State Historical Association.

Roland Jones was married in Nacogdoches, February
14, 1892, to Miss Esme Matthews, a daughter of Henry
P. Matthews and Lela (Hill) Matthews. Her father, a
native of Texas, was the son of a pioneer Texan, and
Mrs. Matthews was a daughter of Judge Hill, one of the
ablest men in public affairs in the state, during his time.
Mr. and Mrs. Jones have three children: Genevive, wife
of A. B. Patterson of Nacogdoches; Roland, Jr., and
Ashford.

Captain John M. Mays. For more than a quarter of
a century Captain John M. Mays has been connected
with the commercial interests of Henderson, and during
this time he has not alone attained material success and
prestige but has also risen to a high place in the esteem
and confidence of the people of his community through
his constant and sustained public spirited citizenship.



The firm of which he is now the head is one of the oldest
in this part of Eusk county, and the straightforward
and honorable principles by which it has been conducted
have brought it a deservedly high reputation in the
marts of trade and conmieree. Captain Mays came to
Texas in 1S66, just after the close of the Civil war,
from Abbeville, South Carolina, having been born in
that section of the Palmetto commonwealth March 16,
1846, a son of Meade and Mary E. (Porter) Mays, and
a member of an old slave-holding family of South
Carolina.

Meade Mays was born in South Carolina, and died
there a young man of thirty years. He married Mary E.
Porter, a daughter of John Porter, a Methodist minister
and of an old family of South Carolina, and there were
two children born of this union, John M., of this review,
and Anna L., who was the wife of John M. Trasker,
who died at Bethany, Louisiana. Mr. and Mrs. Trasker
had three children: J. M. Trasber, of Greenwood,
Louisiana; Mrs. Alice Edgar, of Bethany, Louisiana;
and Mrs. J. C. MiUer, of Ponca, Oklahoma. Mrs. Mary
E. (Porter) Mays married for her second husband W.
M. Griffin, and she died at Kilgore, Texas, in 1907.

The early home of John M. Mays was a rural one and
his education came chiefly from the Cokesbury school of
South Carolina, an institution of some note at that time,
under the supervision of the Methodist church. When
the bitter war between the North and the South was
being contested Mr. Mays left the military school at
Columbia, where he was completing his education, and
in 1863 took the place of his stepfather in the regiment,
subsequently enlisting in Company B, Second Kentucky
Cavalry, which was recruiting and rendezvousing in the
vicinity of Atlanta, Georgia. This proved to be a part of
General John Morgan 's command, and Captain Mays was
with that daring commander until the latter was killed
at Greenville, Tennessee. Among the engagements of
this command %vith which Captain Mays was connected
were the battles of Wytheville, Virginia, and SaltviUe,
Virginia, and on the great Kentucky raid he took part
in the fight at Cynthiana, Lexington and Mount Sterling.
Later he was transferred with others to General John-
ston 's army at Atlanta, and was engaged in scout duty
on the Savannah river when word was received of tho
close of hostilities.

In 1866 Captain Mays left his home in South Carolina,
and with his mother and stepfather made his way to the
Lone Star state. They settled in Harrison county, and
there he was early employed in freighting goods as a
teamster from Shreveport to Elysian Fields, but later
became a teacher and had a school for a few months
near the dividing line between Harrison and Panola
counties. Still later he became a farmer in that locality,
and contented himself with tilling the soil for a few
years or until the opportunity presented itself to become
a clerk at Bethany, Louisiana, where he received his
introduction to the general mercantile business. Fol-
lowing this experience he came back into Texas and
accepted a position as clerk at Deberry, and after some
more preparation felt himself capable of handling a
business of his own and accordingly opened a store at
Harmony Hill, in company with J. M. Trasper. There
he spent nearly ten years and laid a firm foundation for
his future success.

Captain Mays came to Henderson in 1887, and here
continued the mercantile business as junior partner of
the firm of Trammell & Mays. This concern has been
succeeded by several others, but Captain Mays has always
been the partner to remain in the business. It was first
succeeded by Mays & Miller, next by JIays & Harderian
and finally "by Mays & Harris, wliii-h association still
continues.' The Captain is a man of rare business ability,
keen discernment and excellent judgment, and his thor-.
ough knowledge of the needs and demands of his com-
munity allows him to place before the trade the highest
class of articles to be secured. Aside from his commercial
interests he has various other business holdings, and at




(^^ CyL..^^



TEXAS AND TEXANS



1619



this time is a director of the First National Bank of
Henderson and a stockholder in the oil mill here, of
which he was one of the promoters.

Captain Mays was first married at Lawrence, South
Carolina, in 1867, to Miss Alice Starnes, a daughter of
Eobt C. Starnes. She died near Bethany, Louisiana, in
1869, leaving one son, Robert M., who married Alice
Beaty, and is engaged in business at Shreveport,
Louisiana. Captain Mays married his present wife at
Henderson, Texas, in February, 1877, she having been a
Miss Georgie N. Trammell, a daughter of Thomas J.
Trammell, a Georgian and an early settler of Texas. To
this union there have been children born as follows:
Foster W., a resident of Henderson ; John M., Jr., a
merchant of Greenwood, Louisiana ; Anna L., the wife
of W. F. Chamberlain, of Henderson; Miller, of Green-
wood, Louisiana, and Kalph L., Georgie, Alice, Thomas
and Helen, who reside with their parents.

In his sphere as a citizen Captain Mays has been
unreservedly a man of commercial affairs. He has
essayed politics only at times along with other delegates
bent on nominating local or state candidates, and has
had a seat in several Democratic conventions. He is a
Master Mason in his fraternal connection, and his re-
ligious faith is that of the Methodist church. Veterans'
reunions have found a place near Captain Mays' heart,
and he has attended many during the era of popularity
of those gatherings of the men and boys who wore the
"gray."

Valentine L. Puig. In Laredo and vicinity a name
that suggests large financial responsibility and civic
influence is that of Valentine L. Puig. While he is now
and for a number of years has been one of the big men
in this part of the state, there are some who remember
him twenty or twenty-five years since as a hard-working,
earnest youth, with no capital save his untiring energy
and with only a record of steady fighting against heavy
odds from early boyhood. At the present time Mr. Puig
and his brother, B. A. Puig, own fifty-five thousand acres
of land in Webb county, lying about fifty miles north-
west of Laredo, and they are extensively engaged in the
cattle business. Theirs is one of the largest ranches now
remaining undivided in southwest Texas.

Valentine L. Puig is a native of the city of New
Orleans, and a sou of Valentine Puig, still living and a
resident of Laredo. The family in 1896 moved to Laredo
in Duval county. Mr. Puig had little or no formal edu-
cation, and started out to earn his own way when only
nine years of age. Between the years 1886 and 1893 his
life was one of struggle and continuous labor, chiefly
as a clerk, and his wages ran between eight or ten dol-
lars per month to as much as sixty dollars per month.
His first position was as a messenger boy, and he was
then employed at seventy-five cents a day for seven
months in railway construction work. On leaving his
previous employment and moving to Laredo in 1894, Mr.
Puig found work with Mr. E. Cruz as a clerk at twenty-
two and a half dollars a month. This employment
lasted for eight months, and he was next with the Stone-
burg people in their dry goods store for eight dol-
lars a week, and at the end of a year they gave him
twelve dollars a week. This employment continued for
two years until Mr. Puig married, and by 1897 he had
accumulated a small capital of fifteen hundred dollars,
and with that as a nucleus his success has been one of
rapid increase. It is noteworthy that as success has
come to him he has been eminently liberal in helping
others less fortunate, and even in the days when he was
a struggling clerk he took care of his father and mother,
and still supports them in comfort at Laredo.

In 1908 Mr. Puig was elected a member of the board
of county commissioners of Webb county, and has
served in that capacity with efficiency and general sat-
isfaction ever since. The handsome new seventy-five
thousand dollar county court house was built during the
administration of the board of which Mr. Puig is a



inember. A fact that should be noted in this connection
is that before the court house was completed thirty
thousand dollars were needed to bring it to completion,
and it was feared that long delays might possibly ensue
if the money were raised by a bond issue. Under the
circumstances, the commissioners wisely borrowed thirty
thousand dollars on their individual notes, and thus
allowed the work to go on without interruption and
Webb county has its present fine county building largely
due to the generous efforts of the board of commis-
sioners.

Valentine L. Puig has a wife and four children: John,
Valentine, Joe and Bruna. Mrs. Puig, formerly Miss
Bruna Ortiz, is a daughter of the late Juan Ortiz, a
prominent Laredo citizen. Juan Ortiz was the son of
Eeyes and Maria Antonia Ortiz. In 1872 Juan Ortiz
buUt the substantial and interesting residence on Zara-
gosa street in which the Puig family now live.

Edmund Duggan. One of the best known men in pub-
lic affairs in Tom Green county was the late Edmund
Duggan. He was a pioneer, having located in the county
more than thirty years ago, and remained closely identi-
fied with its business and official life until his death.

Edmund Duggan was born in Travis county, Texas,
September 19, 1840, four years after the establishment
of the Texas Eepublic, and five years before Texas became
a State of the Union. The family were, as this date
indicates, among the early settlers of Texas. His parents
were Thomas H. and Elizabeth Duggan, who came from
Mississippi. The father had been a merchant in his home
State, and after moving to Texas about 1839 settled in
Travis county, but afterwards moved to Guadalupe
county, where he served as clerk for several terms, did
farming as his regular vocation, and also was sent to
the Legislature several times. His death occurred in
186.5, and his widow survived him many years until
1902. There were six children in the family, and the
late Edmund Duggan was the oldest.

As a boy he had private instructions, and later studied
in a school of collegiate grade. His first business was
that of general merchandising at Prairie Lee. In 1867
he sold out his business and moved to Guadalupe, where
he was engaged in farming and stock raising for several
years. In 1877, having sold his ranch, he took a place
at Austin as bookkeeper in the State treasurer's depart-
ment. He worked at the State capitol until 1881, when
he resigned and moved to Tom Green county. For a
number of years he was well known as a sheep raiser,
and did a good business in that line. In 1888 he was
elected to the office of county and district clerk of Tom
Green county. Others had held similar places for a
longer time, but it is doubtful if any county official in



Online LibraryFrancis White JohnsonA history of Texas and Texans (Volume 4) → online text (page 8 of 177)