Francis White Johnson.

A history of Texas and Texans (Volume 4) online

. (page 80 of 177)
Online LibraryFrancis White JohnsonA history of Texas and Texans (Volume 4) → online text (page 80 of 177)
Font size
QR-code for this ebook


Cada at La Grange. His stand in favor of English
language incensed the people of his nationality through-
out Texas, and indignation meetings were held condemn-
ing his efforts to make English the official language of
the school room in Bohemian localities. At that time
there was practically no organ for the expression and
publicity of his views on the matter, and the friends of
Judge Haidusek therefore started another Bohemian
paper, the Svoboda, which was owned by a joint stock
company comprising about fifty members. The company
secured the services of a man from New York City to
perfect the paper. The Svohnda was started in Decem-
ber, 1885, and liv lss7 li:hl about four hundred sub-
scribers with an in^lrl.i,.,ln.'>s of twenty-four hundred
dollars. The New York clit.jr, Mr. Chudoba, was dis-
i1kii;;.(1. and Judge Haidusek took charge of the paper.
' ii'l' 1 III- ninnagement the number of subscribers in-
• ir;i>,.(l i,i|ii(lly, the debt was paid oft' in two years, and
in l>!Mi lie lie.ame sole owner of the journal. Since then
lie has devoted nearly all his time to its management
and has made it one of the best paying papers of its
class in the entire country. Its circulation in 1914
reached to about five thousand copies and its subscribers
are found in one hundred counties of Texas, besides in
other states and in Europe. While it is a Bohemian
paper, its sentiment is thoroughly American, and its
policy and editorial control have always reflected the
sterling American spirit and democracy which are so
deeply characteristic of its proprietor. Besides his work
in connection with the schools. Judge Haidusek as county
judge inaugurated the improvements by which public
roads were graded and macadamized, and nineteen iron
bridges were built and the bridge spanning the Colorado
river was bought by the county. Another thing that
made his administration notable was the letting of the
contract for the building of the present court house at
La Grange, and the foundation was laid before he left
office.

In the split in the Democratic party in 1892, when
the Hogg and Clark factions were at war, Mr. Haidusek
espoused the cause of Clark. Although an advocate of
the gold standard, he supported Bryan in all his cam-
paigns for the presidency, since he could not conscien-
tiously abandon the Democratic party. However, in the
Congressional fight between E. B. Hawley, the Repub-
lican nominee, and W. S. Eobson, the Democrat, he sup-
ported Hawley, and it is said that on this account Eob-
son was defeated.

On January 14, 1896, when the First National Bank
of La Grange was found to be in a bad financial condi-
tion. Judge Haidusek was elected president of the bank,
and has since brought its affairs to a most substantial
condition and has made the bank one of the strongest,
considering its capital, in the state. During his admin-
istration the stockholders have received in dividends
more than their original investment. He is yet the presi-
dent of said bank. In 1905 he was appointed" by Governor
Lanham as one of the directors of Agricultural and Me-
chanical College of Texas, in which capacity he served
until 1911.

Judge Haidusek affiliates with the Knights of Honor,
the Ancient Order of United Workmen, is an honqrarv
member of the G. S. P. S., a Bohemian order similar in
organization and purposes to the Knights of Honor. He
and his family are all members of the Catholic church.
In May, 1872, he married Miss Anna Becka, daughter
of John and Catherine Becka, of Eoss Prairie. She was
born near Belleville, in Austin county, in June, 1856.
Of their five children three are living, as follows:
Jerome, who married Fanny Mosig: George, who grad-
uted from the University of Texas in both the literary
and law departments, took post-graduate work in Har-
vard University, is now a successful lawyer at Sevmour.
Baylor county, Texas, and in 1904 was a presidential
elector on the Democratic ticket; Alasta, married Joseph
Koss.



1840



TEXAS AND TEXANS



As this brief sketch indicates, Judge Haidusek is a
man of unusual force and determination, is broad-
minded, tlioroughly democratic in his nature, and few
citizens of Texas in his time have accomplished more
and made their activities more fruitful for the general
welfare of community and state. While subjected to
severe criticism for his course in the matter of education
thirty years ago. Judge Haidusek has long since outlived
that brief unpopularity, and many of those who opposed
him then are now as strongly convinced of the justice
and the necessity of his course as he himself.

Samuel W. Law. To become the directing head of
an institution which adds prestige to a locality and pro-
vides employment for many of its workers requires the
possession of much more than ordinary ability and
strength of purpose. The men who during their active
careers have directed their strength and capability to-
ward the upbuilding of these enterprises have not alone
gained prominence for themselves, but have contributed
materially to the welfare of the section in which their
labors have been prosecuted. Samuel W. Law has
gained the right to be included in this class of helpful
citizens, for as the head of the Law-Sprinkle Mercantile
Company he has brought recognition to Cameron in its
commercial circles, and has demonstrated his ability to
cope with the keen competition of modern trade and
commerce in such a fashion as to make him one of the
leaders in his line in this part of the state.

Mr. Law was born in Elmore county, Alabama, No-
vember 14, 1866, and is a son of Charles W. and Sophina
(Batchelor) Law. His father was born in Alabama,
May 25, 1842, and was there engaged in farming until
coming to Texas in 1873, and for several years there-
after moved around from place to place looking for a
suitable location and visiting various points in Wash-
ington, Brazos and Limestone counties. Finally, in 1886,
he came to Milam county, and here he still resides, his
home being at Adhall. Mrs. Law, also a native of Ala-
bama, was born in September, 1S49, and died in July,
1898, having been the mother of eleven children : Samuel
W., Thomas, Tesana, Mamie, Addie, Charles, George,
Asa, Clyde, Ida and James of whom Thomas, Ida and
James are now deceased.

Samuel W. Law was a lad of six years when he ac-
companied his parents to Texas, and his education was
secured in the country schools of Washington, Brazos
and Limestone counties. He worked on his father's
farm from the time he was sixteen until he was twenty-
two years old, and at the latter age embarked upon a
career of his own, renting thirty acres of land in Milam
county. There he continued to carry on agricultural pur-
suits until 1900, principally at or near Adhall, and
then took charge of a farm, cotton gin and general
store. In 1906 he took charge of the store as owner,
and continued to conduct it until 1912, when he moved
to Cameron and purchased a two-thirds interest in the
Gaston-Sprinkle Mercantile Company, the present style
of which is the Law-Sprinkle Mercantile Company, of
which he has been the president to the present time.
This venture has proved a decided success, and now
carries a thoroughly up-to-date stock of groceries and
hardware, valued at $25,000. The business is incor-
porated for $30,000, "fully paid up. An extensive trade
is attracted from all over the surrounding territory and
the business is enjoying a consistent and healthy growth,
due in large part to the able manner in which Mr. Law
is managing its aifairs. Mr. Law is possessed of a
mind fertile in resources, means and expedients. He
leads a rational life, works hard, and has a friendly
feeling for others and an understanding of life's com-
plexities that assists him greatly in his dealing with
his fellow-men. He has not put ' ' all his eggs in one
basket," for various other enterprises have had the
benefit of his sagacity, his judgment and his energetic
aggressiveness, and at this time he has holdings in the



Jameron State Bank, the Eobert McLean Company of
Cameron, the Amicable Life Insurance Company and the
Southern Union Life Insurance Company. In addition
to his residence at Cameron, he owns 140 acres of im-
proved farming land in Milam county and three val-
uable vacant lots in the city of Houston. When he can
spare the time from the numerous duties of his large
business, he devotes his attention to farming and stock-
raising, of which he has made a hobby. He seldom finds
time for a vacation, but was formerly fond of hunting.

Mr. Law was married (first) in 1S91 to Miss Lou
Docky, who died in 1900, having been the mother of
five children : Thomas, who is a clerk in his father 's
office; Ollie, who is deceased; Eoy, who is clerk for his
father; and Ludie and Truely, attending school. On
November 11, 1900, Mr. Law was married (second) to
Mrs. Eddie Benson, daughter of E. F. Gregg, a well-
known resident of Milam county. Mr. and Mrs. Law
have had no children, but by her former marriage she
was the mother of one child: W. B. Denson. Mr. Law
is a consistent member of the Baptist church, and Mrs.
Law is a member of the Christian church. In politics
a Democrat, Mr. Law has taken some interest in the
success of his party, and has served as deputy sheriff
under three sheriffs of Milam county. While primarily
a domestic man, with a love for the surroundings of
bis home, he is not indifferent to the pleasures of com-
panionship with his fellows.

For fourteen years Mr. Law served in the capacity
of postmaster of Adhall, to the management of which
office he gave the same conscientious attention that has
characterized his activities in his private enterprises.
Few citizens have strived more earnestly for the better-
ment of their communities, and none are held in
greater general esteem.

HtJMPHKEY Hugh Jackson. For twenty-five years a
lawyer, and a former county judge of Chambers county,
Mr. Jackson represents two of the very oldest families
in southeastern Texas, and there are few American
families in any section of the State whose settlement
dates back to an earlier time. Humphrey Hugh Jackson
came with Austin in the year 1823, and James Taylor
WTjite in the year 1826, when Austin undertook to lead
his first band of American settlers into this region.

Humphrey Hugh Jackson was born at Double Bayou,
Chambers county, in 1864. His parents were James and
Sarah (White) Jackson, the former of whom died in
1895. The mother is still living at her old home at
Double Bayou, where practically all her life has been
spent. Ho'r father, James Taylor White, grandfather
of H. 11. .larksdji, uas born in Louisiana, and came
to Texas m IM'ii locating in what is now Chambers
county, liiit wliirli at ihat time was a part of the un-
broken wilderness of the Gulf coast, and only nominally
under the jurisdiction and in the possession of the
Spanish-Mexican government. James T. White estab-
lished a home on Turtle (or White's) Bayou, where his
family have lived ever since that early day. James
Jackson the father of H. H. Jackson was born in Ver-
millionville, Louisiana, but nearly all his life he lived
on Double Bayou in Chambers county. Grandfather
Humphrey Jackson, who was a native of Belfast. Ire-
land, and came to America with two brothers Henry
and Alexander in 1808, settled in Lousiana, near Ber-
wick's Bay, where Humphrey Jackson was married in
1810. He" was a member of Andrew Jackson 's army
in the battle of New Orleans, Louisiana, and in 1823
crossed over into the Province of Texas. His settlement
was in the heart of an unbroken wilderness in what is
now Liberty county. Later he moved to Crosby, in what
is now Harris county, and in 1823 the Mexican govern-
ment granted him a headright, allowing him the pos-
session of the usual amount of land for stock raising and
farming purposes. He lived there following his regular
vocation until his death in 1834. He was killed by the



TEXAS AND TEXANS



1841



falling of a limb of a tree. About the time of his
death, his three sons, including the late James Jaekson,
moved to Double Bayou, in 1840 what is now Chambers
county. Both the White and Jaekson families have
been among the largest land and cattle owners in Cham-
bers county. John H. Jackson, a cousin of H. H.
Jackson, in 1913 sold thirty-one thousand acres of his
land to a syndicate that will colonize it with small
farmers.

Humphrey Hugh Jackson was educated by private
tutors and in Soule College at Chapel Hill in Wash-
ington county. His student days in Soule College were
during the years 1884-1885-1886. His law studies were
carried on under his cousin^ Hugh Jaekson, at WaUis-
ville, then the county seat of Chambers county. At
Wallisville he was admitted to the bar in 1888, and his
practice as one of the leading lawyers of the county has
been continuous since that year. In 1909 Mr. Jackson
was appointed county judge of Chambers county, was
elected in 1910, and reelected so that his service con-
tinued until the close of 1912. Chambers county has
never had a more efficient administrator of its fiscal
affairs than Judge Jackson. During bis term as judge
and under his efficient administration, notable improve-
ments were instituted. These include the splendid
sixty thousand dollar courthouse at Anahuac. Anahuac,
the historic old town which figured in the time of the
Eevolution and was one of the most important centers
in South Texas during pioneer times, has in recent years
been made the county seat instead of Wallisville, and is
now once more taking its place so well justified by its
early historic reputation. Besides the court house there
were built under Judge Jackson many miles of good
roads, and these and other improvements have helped
to place Chambers county among the class of most pro-
gressive localities in south Texas. Judge Jackson has
lived at Anahuac since 1909, and has a beautiful home
overlooking Gah'eston Bay. Besides his law practice he
does a large business in real estate and abstracts, hav-
ing his offices in the Chambers County State Bank
building. Like his ancestors, he is also interested in
the cattle business, and he and his brother Claude have
a stock ranch at Double Bayou.

At Chapel Hill, Texas, Mr. Jackson married Miss
Emma Toland, who was born at Chappel Hill, a daugh-
ter of the late Dr. A. W. and Mary (Atkinson) Toland.
Her mother was a daughter of the late Col. Atkinson,
who commanded a regiment from Texas during the
war between the states. Dr. Toland was a native of
Mississippi, and both he and Col. Atkinson were among
the old settlers of the historic town of Chapel Hill of
Washington county.

William Osbin Eawlins. President of the Dallas
Linotyping Company, William Osbin Eawlins learned
the printer's trade at Dallas more than twenty years
ago, and established the present business in 1905. He
operates it as a general commercial linotyping business,
having a battery of linotype machines and other equip-
ment for prompt and efficient service in typesetting.

Mr. Eawlins, though he was born at Bloomington,
Indiana, in 1874, represents some of the very earliest
pioneer stock in Dallas county, Texas. His parents,
both now living in Dallas, are William K. and Sarah
(Anderson) Eawlins. The parents moved from Bloom-
ington, Indiana, to Lancaster, in Dallas county, in 1879.
Various members of the Eawlins family had lived at
Lancaster and vicinity since 1843, and were among the
very first white people to locate in what is now Dallas
county, then a territory included within the jurisdiction
of Nacogdoches.

Some interesting genealogical and pioneer annals are
connected with the Eawlins family name. James Mason
Eawlins, from whom W. O. Eawlins is descended, came
from England with two brothers, previous to the Eevolu-
tionary war. During that war he took the side of the



mother country, while his brothers were colonial sym-
pathizers. James Mason Eawlins was captured as a
Tory, but managed to escape, and while returning to
England is supposed to have perished at sea. His son,
James Eawlins, moved to North Carolina, where William
Eawlins was born, and finally located in Illinois. Wil-
liam Eawlins, who was an uncle to William K. Eaw-
lins, father of W. O. Eawlins, was the founder of the
family name in Texas, having located in this state in
the early forties. He and the company of which he
was the head attained tracts of laud in the vicinity of
Lancaster, and all became prominent as settlers, as
citizens and left numerous descendants. A member of
the family who attained wide • prominence during his
lifetime was Eev. John M. Eawlins, known far and
wide in Dallas county as "Blacksmith John, the Min-
ister," who was not only a pioneer and skilled black-
smith, but a man of deep religious convictions and a
leader in all public matters.

William Osbin Eawlins was reared on the home farm
near Lancaster, educated in country schools, and in 1891
when seventeen years of age, moved to Dallas. He
learned the printer's trade in the office of Mr. L. Blay-
lock, publisher of the Texas Cliristkui Advocate. For
several years he was employed as a printer in the
Advocate office and other offices at Dallas. Outside of
his business Mr. Eawlins takes most interest in fraternal
affairs in connection with the Masonic order, in which
he enjoys a high standing. He is a thirty-second de-
gree Mason and a member of the Dallas Consistory.
Dallas Lodge honors him as a past master, and he holds
the chair of King in the Eoyal Arch Chapter. He is a
member of the Grand Lodge of the State and is Dis-
trict Deputy Grand Master for Dallas and vicinity. In
April, 1914, he was elected a member of the Board of
Education.

Allen D. Hooks. Of the officials who are upholding
the governmental prestige and civic prosperity of Milam
county none has shown greater discrimination and fidel-
ity or commands a higher degree of popular confidence
than the present sheriff, who has been a resident of
Texas since his boyhood days and who is one of the loyal
and progressive citizens of Cameron.

Allen Duncan Hooks, who was elected sheriff of
Milam county in 1910, claims the state of Tennessee as
the place of his nativity. He was born at Saltillo,
Hardin county, on the 13th of September, 1872, and
thus was a lad of about ten years at the time of his
parents' removal to Texas, in 1882. He is a son of
James M. and Frances (Hall) Hooks, both natives of
Tennessee, where the former was born in the year 1824
and the latter, in Henderson county, in 1838. Upon
coming to Texas the parents established their residence
at Cameron, the judicial center of Milam county, and
here the father devoted his attention to mercantile
pursuits during the residue of his active business career.
He was a gallant soldier of the Confederacy in the Civil
war, as a member of a Tennessee regiment, and in
later years lie perpetuated the more gracious memories
of his military career by retaining membership in the
United Confederate Veterans' Association. He died in
1897, respected by all who knew him, his wife having
passed to the life eternal in the preceding year. They
are survived by five children, — Charles, Isaac, Frank,
Allen D., and James M.

Sheriff Hooks acquired his early education in the
schools of his native state and after the family removal
to Cameron, Texas, he here attended the public schools
until he had attained to the age of fourteen years. He
then became clerk in a grocery store, in which capacity
he continued his service four years, and for the ensuing
eight years he was salesman in a hardware establish-
ment in Cameron. The following six years found him
in active and efficient service as city marshal of Cam-
eron, and he resigned this position to assume that of



1842



TEXAS AND TEXANS



county sheriff, to which he was first elected iu 1910.
His administration was so satisfactory to the public
that he was re-elected in 1912, and he is a candidate
for a third term, in the election of the autumn of 1914.
He is a popular member of the Texas Sheriffs' Associa-
tion, is a stockholder of the Cameron Weekly Herald,
his political allegiance is given unreservedly to the
Democratic party, he is affiliated with the Knights of
Pythias and the Pretorians, and both he and his wife
hold membership in the Methodist Episcopal church.
South. As city marshal and as sheriff Mr. Hooks has
shown the greatest circumspection and tolerance, and
he has never vet been compelled to use weapons in
making an arrest, as he has gained the good will of even
malefactors, the while he has had the fullest confidence
and esteem of the general public. His record as an
officer is one of which he may well be proud.

On the 21st of September, 1902, Mr. Hooks wedded
Miss Ida Hobbs, daughter of E. P. Hobbs, a well known
business man of Temple, Bell county, and they have
an adopted daughter, Lucile Hobbs.

JuDSON H. Wood. A lawyer of Sherman, Texas. Was
born on a farm in Rusk county, Texas, March 22, 185S.
He was educated in the common schools of the country.
At the age of eighteen he secured employment as a
teacher, for the purpose of acquiring the necessary means
to take a college course. He entered the law department
of the University of Virginia in 1881, and graduated
with the class of 1882 with the degree of B. L. He
returned to his native county, and again taught school
for a few months for the purpose of liquidating obliga-
tions incurred in completing his course at the university.
In 1883 he begun the practice of law at Henderson, the
county seat of Busk county. From 1886 to 1890 he
served as county judge of that county, refusing re-elec-
tion for the purpose of changing his location. In 1891
he removed to Sherman, where he has since resided. In
1894 he was appointed county judge of Grayson county
to fill a vacancy, and was twice re-elected, voluntarily
retiring from office in 1898. Since that time he has
devoted his attention exclusively to the practice of law,
refusing all official preferment. He is now a member
of the firm of Wolfe, Wood & Haven, a firm composed
of J. A. L. Wolfe and J. H. Wood, of Sherman, and
James P. Haven, of Denison, with offices at Sherman
and Denison. The firm does a general practice in the
state and United States courts, and has a large and
lucrative business, extending over the state of Texas and
adjoining states. He has made a success of his profes-
sion and his ability is highly regarded by the lawyers
and judges with whom he has come in contact. His
name, as well as that of the firm, appears in the judicial
reports of the country in many important cases.

On October 19, 1887, he married Miss Frances Jones,
daughter of the late Colonel James H. Jones, of Hender-
son, Texas. They have two promising sons. The older,
Judson H. Wood, Jr., was born January 21, 1891, and
is now engaged with a wholesale grocery house at Tulsa,
Oklahoma. The younger, James Ealph Wood, was born
April 9, 1896, and is at present a student at the State
University of Texas, preparing himself to enter the legal
profession.

Hershel L. Lackey. For more than sixty years a
resident of Texas, and nearly half of this time identified
with that section of west Texas about the present county
seat town of Alpine, Mr. Lackey is in all respects a
pioneer, and combines in his character and activities the
best qualities of the old time Texan. He has known in
his experience the life of ante-bellum days in this state
and afterwards came west in time to participate in the
full scope of the varied activities which have marked
the development of western Texas.

There are probably none in Brewster county who do
not know and esteem this splendid old citizen. Hershel



L. Lackey was born in Tennessee on February 2, 1842.
His father was Eobert Lackey, a native of Tennessee,
who died when his son Hershel was two years old. The
maiden name of the mother was Martha Keating, who
moved to Mississippi when her Hershel was three years
old, and then in 1850 came to Texas, where she spent the
remainder of her life. Her death occurred when she
was eighty-eight years of age, and she was a very
devout member of the Cumberland Presbyterian church.
Having resided in Texas since 1850 when he was eight
years of age Hershel L. Lackey attained all his educa-
tion by private schooling during the decade before the
war. He left school at the beginning of the war iu
order to become a soldier in the Confederate ranks, and
served from the beginning to the end of that great
struggle. He was with the southern army in a number
of the campaigns, on both sides of the Mississippi Kiver



Online LibraryFrancis White JohnsonA history of Texas and Texans (Volume 4) → online text (page 80 of 177)