Francis White Johnson.

A history of Texas and Texans (Volume 4) online

. (page 81 of 177)
Online LibraryFrancis White JohnsonA history of Texas and Texans (Volume 4) → online text (page 81 of 177)
Font size
QR-code for this ebook


and gave a good account of himself as a faithful and
efficient soldier. When peace was declared and he again
reached home he took up the work of the home farm,
which he followed for eight years, and then engaged iu
the stock and cattle business for himself, an occupation
which he has followed for forty years or more. He first
came to Alpine in 1883, and now owns one of the larg-
est and most profitable ranches in all this section, located
about fifty-six miles from Alpine. In 1865 Mr. Lackey
was married in Goliad county to Miss Annie Hord,
daughter of Rev. Jesse Hord of Goliad county. Mr.
Lackey and wife are members of the Methodist church,
he is an influential worker in the Alpine Commercial
Club, and is a Democratic voter, though in practical
politics has never interested himself to any extent. Dur-
ing the many consecutive years of his attention to busi-
ness he has built up a splendid success and is regarded
as one of the most prosperous men in Brewster county.
Of his diversions it will suffice to say that he is a
lover of fine horses and has been all his life. He is also
equally fond of good books and spends much of his
later leisure in reading, and particularly along lines
which broaden his viewpoints of the world 's affairs. As
to Texas Mr. Lackey is convinced from his individual ex-
perience that there is no finer place in the world and its
opportunities are beyond computation. Mr. Lackey
owns and lives in one of the most beautiful home-s of
Alpine.

WiLLUM F. McGacghy. In the development and
improvement of west Texas Mr. McGaughy now a resi-
dent of Alpine, in Brewster county, has always supplied
the important elements of individual enthusiasm and
enterprise. He spent practically all his active career
in different portions of West Texas, he has had unusual
opportunities for judging the country and his loyalty
to this section of the state is therefore grounds for
confidence to newcomers in this region. Mr. McGaughy
is head of a prospering real estate firm and live stock
commission business at Alpine, where he has resided for
several years and for a numlier of years was a county
official in Nolan county.

William F. McGaughy was born in Moulton. Alabama,
September 6, 1864, and when he was a small child his
parents moved to west Tennessee, and when he was
eight years of age they came to Texas in 1872 and he
has been a resident in this state ever since. His early
education -was obtained in the public schools of Hood
county, and he also studied for a time in that well
remembered institution, the Add-Ean College at Thorp
Springs. After leaving coUege at the age of twenty he
moved into Brown county, and was in the cattle busi-
ness for four years, after which he moved his stock out
to Nolan county, which continued to be his home until
1909. Cattle ranching was his regular business in that
vicinity, but official duties also occupied much of his
time. In 1899 the commissioner court appointed him
sheriff to serve out an unexpired term and after that
he was elected to the office for three consecutive terms,



TEXAS AND TEXANS



1843



finally refusing to accept any more nominations or elec-
tions to office. His deputy in his office was elected his
successor. After long and active connection with busi-
ness and industrial affairs at Sweetwater, Jlr. Mc-
Gaughy on March 1, 1909, sold out his interests in that
vicinity and moved to Alpine, where he established
his office in general real estate and live stock commission
business. His operations include a large territory, about
Alpine and his high standing and well known business
integrity have commanded a generous prosperity.

In Nolan county on November 16, 1887, Mr. Me-
Gaughy married Miss Allie Eobertson, a daughter of
Dr. Eobertson, formerly of Hood county, Texas. Her
father was born and reared in Texas, and Mrs. Mc-
Gaughy was a schoolmate with her husband while
growing up in Hood county. The two children of Mr.
and Mrs. McGaughy are Iven W. who is in the stock
business in Brewster county, and Felix P. a graduate
of the Alpine high school. The family worship in the
Christian church, and fraternally Mr. McGaughy is
affiliated with the "Woodmen of the World. He is also
an active member of the Alpine Commercial Club, be-
longing to its executive committee. Throughout his
active career in Texas he has been one of the leading
Democrats in his county, and gives much interest to
political matters. At the present time he is secretary
of the Alpine school board, and has always interested
himself in educational affairs, having been a member of
the committee which erected one of the fine school
buildings of Sweetwater. At the present time he is
serving as a county commissioner of Brewster county,
and in this office has paid particular attention to the
good road movement in this vicinity.

The parents of Mr. McGaughy were Dr. John B. and
Ellen McGaughy, the father being still alive and a
resident at Stephensville. The mother, whose maiden
name was Ellen Stephenson died in 1904 at the age of
sixty-six. She was a devout member of the Presbyterian
church. Dr. McGaughy is a native of Alabama, where
he spent his boyhood and youth, studied medicine in
west Tennessee, where he was engaged in the practice
of his profession, until coming to Texas and from 1884
for many years was engaged in practice at Brownwood,
in Brown county.

Mr. McGaughy owns an automobile, but he still pre-
fers the old horse as the most pleasurable means of
getting over the country. He enjoys working among
cattle, and is a real type of the west Texan, fond of
outdoor life of all kinds, and at the same time taking
pleasure in the artistic side of life, being fond of music,
the theatre and of other diversions. He believes that
nowhere in the country are there greater opportunities
for legitimate business enterprise than in west Texas.



Dr. James C. Durrum, long a resident of Clarksville
and well known throughout this section of the state
in his capacity of physician, was born at Jefferson,
Texas, on September 6, 1860, and is the son of Dr.
James C. Durrum, Sr., a native of North Carolina,
born there in 1821, and a graduate in medicine from
the old University of Kentucky.

The senior Dr. Durrum was a country doctor, the
owner of slave property and productive farms, and
he passed a rather uneventful life in the course of his
professional career. He was a Southern sympathizer
and though he did not participate in the active warfare,
five of his sons participated in it, and two of them
fell in battle. Dr. Durrum married Sarah McCraw
and died in 1875, ten years prior to the death of his
wife. Their children were as follows: Oscar, who was
killed in the battle of Mansfield, Georgia; William, who
served with the Army of Northern Virginia, and was
presented with a medal by General Lee for the ladies
of Richmond, as the model private soldier of the South-
ern army, was later engaged in farming in 'Marion
county, and was accidentally killed in 1903, leaving



three children ; Samuel, is another of the soldier sons,
passed his life quietly on the farm after the war, and
died without issue; John Jacob was killed at the battle
of Chickamauga; Silas, a farmer of Smithland, Texas,
was another of the five soldiers; Eobert died in young
manhood ; Mrs. T. H. Stalsup, of Jefferson, Texas, and
James C, wlio was the youngest of the family.

James C. Durrum took up the study of medicine after
he had possessed himself of a common school education
in the i?ountry district where he was reared. His
ambition for a profession did not make itself felt as
a dominant factor until after he had reached his
majority at home on the farm, but it was sufficiently
strong to carry him forward to his entrance in the
Kentucky School of Medicine at Louisville. He finished
his course there in 1885 and established himself in
Clarksville soon thereafter. During the course of his
earlier practice Dr. Durrum absented himself in order
to make possible further professional investigation and
study, and he returned with a diploma from the New
York Polyclinic in 1892. Since that time he has devoted
' himself to his practice and his farms, and he has
gained a name as a physician as well as in his capacity
of farmer.

Dr. Durrum has been twice married. He married
his first wife in Covington, Tennessee, in April, 1886,
she being Miss Lizzie Menefee, who died in Clarksville,
in 1901. They were the parents of two daughters,
Mabel Gray, the wife of H. M. Lassister, of Clarksville,
and Miss Edith, now a student in Neweomb college,
New Orleans, Louisiana. In December, 1911, Dr. Dur-
rum married Miss Lodiska Lattimer, a daughter of
L. E. Lattimer of this city, whose wife was formerly
Isabella, daughter of Col. DeMorse, founder and editor
of the ClarksvDle Standard, the first paper published
here and once a candidate for the office of Governor
of the state.

Judge George Morrison is the county judge of Red
River county, and he was born while his father was
located as a pioneer of the Republic of Texas, the
year 1869 marking his advent into life. He is the son
of James Morrison, who came to Texas in 1838 as a
young man of thirty years and entered the ranging
service of the Republic. With his command he covered
the country engaged in Indian fighting and scouting
along the Rio Grande, and he participated in many of
the events that mark the bloody annals of Texas ' history.
He was born in New York City, in 1808, and as a youth
he had ever been strongly attracted by the call of the
sea. He spent many years upon the Atlantic, the
Mediterranean sea, and other arms of that intercon-
tinental body of water, and he quit the life of a sailor
as a Captain's mate at New Orleans, to become a
"land-lubber" on the semi-arid plains of the Republic
of Texas. With the passage of time, having stated
his desire for experiences as a ranger, he returned
to Louisiana for an indefinite stay, and was then lost
to this section of the country for several years. Prior
to his return to Louisiana, Mr. Morrison had loaned
all his surplus cash to a friend in need in Texas, and
when he returned, he was so fortunate as to be able
to locate that individual, who acknowledged his obliga-
tion and offered Mr. Morrison land at one dollar an
acre in payment of the entire debt. Mr. Morrison
accepted the offer, and straightway settled on the land
he had thus acquired. He later married Minerva Wood,
whose father, John Wood, came to Texas from South
Carolina, in which state Jlrs. Morrison was born. Mr.
Morrison lived quietly, comfortoblv nn.l prosperously
as a stock-farmer until his dp:itli '■ ' - I'^'W men in
private life had more thrillins ■■' '' :\rAn he, and

in his reminiscent moments lif ":i- :i . \> rllmt enter-
tainer of a group of home foliss ui uiljcis, who always
delighted in finding him in a humor that prompted
him to live again the experiences of his earlier days



1844



TEXAS AND TEXANS



in tales of adventure and conquest, both concerning
Ms life upon the seas and upon the fields ot lesas
in the early days. He was a man unskilled m books,
it is true "but he was wise from observation and ex-
perience, and he knew human nature as men of varied
life only can come to apprehend it. He acquired title
to a large body of land in Eed River county during
his later years and when he died in 1883 he ™s inde-
pendent financially. He was a member ot the Method st
church, and led a consistent Christian life. JSmes and
Minerva (Wood) Morrison had three children, namely
James; George of this review, and Mrs Maggie Hamil-
ton, of Bogata, Texas, the first named being now de-

"Tudge Morrison received a high school education in
Paris Ind the Honey Grove schools, and when he quitted
school held a first grade certificate to teach in the public
schools. He taught in the country districts for a tew
terms and then entered politics m 1894 as a candidate
for the office of District Clerk. He was elected and
succeeded Judge Kennedy in the ofliee, a^d for four ^
years he served in that capacity. During that time he
prepared himself for the practice of l^w, and m 1890
he was admitted to the bar of the state. He had
scarcely established himself in practice betore a vacancy
occurred in the office he had but recently vacated, and
he was appointed to fill out the unexpired term of
E B Epperson. He was elected to succeed himself
aid resfgned from the office in 1901 with the intention
of engaging in the abstract and title busmess, m con-
nection ^ith his regular law P^'^«t''=<^' rLw^'lflO
actively engaged in that work. In November, 1910,
he vlas^lected to the office of county judge, ^is f-elec^
tion to the office following in ^''^.ll*J^'l.^^}-\.^^l
of his political activity has been withm the ranks o±
the dominant party of Bed Eiver county, and beyond
his own candidacy, he has had no connection with politics
In March 1894, Judge Morrison was married to Miss
Ida Wo4,'a daughter of «• /• ^Vork She died m
1895 and in 1898 he married Miss l..-ie "^; ■ ■'
daughter of Mrs. Alexander Eoger, of CaiiM.n -'J' -' ■'-
In the household of the judge is an adnphMl "•"-»'•
Marguerite, who completes the trio ot then duint .tit

^'^Masonry and Oddfellowship have appealed t^o the
fraternal instincts of Judge Morrison and he is con-
nected with the Blue Lodge and Chapter of the former
order.

A EALPH KiCHOLSON. Within the pages of this work
wiltbe found specific mention of a goodly Pe;;ef;gy;
the representative members of tbe bar of Hunt county,
and to such consideration Mr. Nicholson is specially en
mied He is engaged in the suceesstul practice of his
profession in Greenfille and his progressive attitude and
^Mc ToyaVy a're shown in his liberality in the suppor
of the important project of the Greenville & Whiteright
Northern Traction Company, of which corporation he is
president and general manager, and m t^e financing of
which he was the dominating figure. He is a young man
of distinctive initiative and administrative abihty and
is known as one of the most progressive citizens ot
northeastern Texas, even as he is one of the most pop-
ular of his native county. .„ , .

Mr Nicholson was born at Greenville , his present
home,' on the 4th of May, 1884, and is a son of the late
John I. Nicholson, who was a resident of Greenville for
more than half a century and who was one of the most
honored and influential citizens of Hunt county at the
time of his death, which occurred in 1910. He was a
representative of one of the sterling pioneer families of
northern Texas and the major part of his active career
was devoted to practice of law, in connection with which
he attained to a large measure of success. His wife,
whose maiden name was Ella Cushman, still maintains



her home in Greenville, and of the children four sons
and one daughter survive the honored father.

He whose name initiates this article gained his early
educational discipline in the public schools of his native
city. As an expert stenographer he held the position of
court reporter of Hunt county for three years, and his
experience in this line doubtless quickened his ambition
to enter the legal profession. He studied law under
effective private preeeptorship and was admitted to the
bar in 1904, since which time he has continued in the
active and successful practice of his profession in
Greenville.

The work of his profession has not absorbed the entire
attention ot Mr. Nicholson, as his progressive ideas and
well directed ambition have prompted him to effective
enterprise in connection with street and interurban elec-
tric railway promotion and construction. His courage
in the face of obstacles has been undaunted and he has
pressed forward to the accomplishment of large and im-
portant undertakings in this field of semi-public cuter-
prise. He was one of the foremost in bringing about
the installation of the present street railway system in
Greenville, and he originated the plan of constructing
the electric line between this city and Mineral Heights,
a suburb of GreenvUle. He effected the construction of
this line and the same was placed in operation in May,
1913 — a valuable contribution to public utility service in
Himt county. The line is a part of the properties con-
trolled by the Greenville & Whiteright Northern Traction
Company, which was organized by Mr. Nicholson and
which gained the required financial support through his
efforts. He is president and general manager of the
company, which is incorporated under the laws of the
state, and the main line of the system extends from
Greenville a distance of thirty miles, in a northwest
direction, through Hunt and Collin counties. Its ter-
minus in the latter county is in the village of Anna,
where connection is made with the line of the Dallas
and Sherman interurban line. The line of the Northern
Traction Company was completed in the early part of
the year 1913 and the system is one of inestimable
benefit to the section of country which it traverses, as
well as to the city of Greenville, in furthering the
latter 's precedence as an industrial and commercial
center. The line passes through one of the most opulent
agricultural districts of Texas, and its equipment in all
particulars is of the best modern type, and the cars are
operated by most improved type of motors. Great credit
is due to Mr. Nicholson for his splendid achievement in
this connection, especially in view of the fact that he
undertook the great project with no previous experience
in such work or in the obtaining of necessary capitalistic
reinforcement. He has shown remarkable sagacity as a
financier and executive, has boldly faced and surmounted
seemingly insuperable obstacles, and, though not yet
thirty years of age, he has made a record that would be
creditable to a man of wide and mature experience in
this field of enterprise. He gave his personal supervision
to all details of progressive work, from the obtaining of
the right-of-way, the raising of funds and the employing
of contractors, to the buying of the equipment for the
road. Further honor is due to him by reason of the
circumstances that in achieving this noteworthy work he
carried the road to completion without the issuing of an
iota of watered stock or the placing of fictitious valua-
tions. Every share of stock sold was placed at its par
value, without commission to intermediate agents, and
only a minimum bond issue was required. Cash was paid
for' the greater part of construction work and equipment,
and thus the company has initiated its practical opera-
tions under the most favorable conditions. The road has
been effective in increasing values of land throughout
the sections it traverses and it affords to the residents
of these districts most valuable facilities, as may well
be understood.

Mr. Nicholson was married June 15, 1904, to Hattie



TEXAS AND TEXANS



1845



Castleberry, of Greenville, daughter of James W. Castle-
berry and Johanna Castleberry of this city. They have
three children: Ethel Mae, Martha Virginia and Ealph
Castleberry.

From the foregoing statements it may readily be
understood that Mr. Nicholson is numbered among the
most loyal and progressive young men of the county and
state that have ever represented his home and of whose
varied advantages and attractions he is deeply appreci-
ative. In his personal popularity he sets at naught any
application of the Scriptural aphorism that ' ' a prophet
is not without honor save in his own country, ' ' and he
is not only an able lawyer but also a veritable ' ' captain
of industry" in northern Texas.

Egbert C. Graves. Since the closing year of the
CivU war Robert C. Graves has been a resident of Red
Eiver county, and of Clarksville since ISSO. After
twenty years spent as a cotton grower, he took his
place in the county as a candidate for public office,
and since 1881 he has held various offices in the admin-
istration of the business of the county. He served
the public well in the years of his activity as an office
holder, and of late years after devoting himself to farm-
ing for a time, he disposed of his country interests and
took up his abode in Clarksville, here devoting himself
to surveying and the study of the subject in its more
recent phases.

Born at Perryville, Tennessee, on September 4, 1845,
Robert C. Graves is a son of Wiley Graves and his
wife, Sarah (Graham) Graves. Wiley Graves left
Tennessee, his native state in 1847, settling in Cass
county, Texas, and there passed the remainder of his
life. He was born at Perryville, Tennessee, in 1811,
where he obtained what slight education he came to
posse-ss, and passed his life as a plain citizen of the
rural type. He died in 1868. He manifested some
skepticism toward orthodox Christianity in early and
middle life, but later drifted away from Universalism
toward the doctrine of immersion and other tenets of
the Baptist faith prior to his death. He was the son
of George Graves, who was born in Scotland, and who
spent his later years in Tennessee. He had sons named
Benjamin, John, Archibald, Hiram and Wiley. The
latter married Sarah Graham, as has been mentioned
previously, she being the daughter of a Tennessee farmer
of Irish birth. She was born in 1809 and died in 1875.
To them were born four children. George W. died in
Red Eiver county, leaving a family; Sarah married
AV. H. H. Story and died in Franklin county, Texas;
Tennessee became the wife of Medford Story and died
in Red River county; and Robert C, the subject of this
review, who is older than the sisters.

Robert C. Graves attended school in Linden, Texas,
and finished his education after the war. He was en-
thusiastic in his support of the southern cause, and
joined the army of the Confederate States of America
in June, 1861, enlisting in the Lone Star Company, at
Jefferson, Texas. Captain Cameron and his company
served the first sixteen months of the war with the
Ninth Kentucky Infantry under Col. Hunt, and was
in Breckenridge 'a old brigade. For twelve months be-
fore the Ninth Kentucky was reorganized Mr. Graves
commanded his company as orderly sergeant. When the
reorganization took place at Tupelo, Tennessee, the
"Lone Star" company was assigned to the Thirty-
second Texas commanded by Col. Andrews and placed
in General Ector's brigade. Mr. Graves took part in
the engagements at Shiloh, Murfreesboro, the first liattle
before Vicksburg, Hartsvdle, Baton Rouge, the Battle
of Jackson, Mis.sissippi, and at Chickamauga, where, on
the 19th of September, 1863, a shot tore away his right
arm, which was amputated on the battlefield at Chicka-
mauga Springs; he was then sent to the hospital at
Noonan, Georgia. His part of the war was over then,



and the young man returned home and gave his atten-
tion to the strengthening of his unfinished education.

He was still under age when he came to Red River
county, and here took up work as a school-teacher, or,
it might be said, as a student, who by that means en-
deavored to gather up the loose ends of the neglected
threads of a common school education. Whatever his
object, he applied himself vigorously to the task in
hand, and it may well be imagined that the future of
the young soldier, mutilated in body and unfitted for
the business of life by an insufficient school training, was
anything but a bright one when he established him-
self in the vicinity of Clarksville. Notwithstanding the
discouraging elements with which he seemed to be
environed, he still had within him the possibilities of-
success, for he had lost neither faith nor hope in him-
self. He had been schooled to the work of the farm in
the days when the land was at peace, and when the
alarm of war no longer sounded, he quite naturally
turned his attention to farm life once more. So it was
that he gave himself to the business of cotton growing
in Red River county, and for practically twenty years
continued prosperously in the work. Those years had
been sufficient to establish him in the confidence of
his fellows, and when he offered his services for the
office of tax assessor of the county in 1881, his candi-
dacy was favorably received and he was elected to the
office. He filled the berth for four years and acquitted
himself so creditably that he found himself well estab-
lished in the good will of the people, so that when he
aspired to further public service as tax collector of the
county at the hands of the Democratic party, he was
again elected, and he administered the affairs of the
office for six years, when he relinquished all claims to



Online LibraryFrancis White JohnsonA history of Texas and Texans (Volume 4) → online text (page 81 of 177)