Francis White Johnson.

A history of Texas and Texans (Volume 4) online

. (page 82 of 177)
Online LibraryFrancis White JohnsonA history of Texas and Texans (Volume 4) → online text (page 82 of 177)
Font size
QR-code for this ebook


further recognition in the realm of public service.

Unlike many a good man who has filled office and given
admirable service, the fascination for it failed to absorb
Mr. Graves so as to unfit him for further effective
work on his farm, and he resumed his old place in the
farming industry in 1891, continuing there until 1910,
when he sold his place and took up his residence in
Clarksville. Here he has found opportunity to apply
the principles of surveying which had lain dormant
within him almost entirely since the war, and to give
expression in tangible form of the knowledge of land
surveys and ownerships gained while he assessed and
collected taxes in the county twenty years ago.

On February 14, 1867, Mr. Graves married Miss
Amelia Fleming, a daughter of Perry Fleming, early
settlers in Texas from the state of Georgia. The other
Fleming children were Mrs. Mary Stone, now deceased;
Thomas, of Red River county; Major, a sobriquet,
but was never known by his Christian name, who died
in the Confederate service; and James, who passed away
in later years. The issue of Mr. and Mrs. Graves are:
Morgan, who is cashier of the Red Eiver National
Bank, and who married Miss Hallie Dick; Clovis, who
is a member of the Marable Hardware Company, of
Clarksville, who married Miss Vada Sivly; Patrick,
a merchant of Clarksville, who married Miss Jim John-
son; Stella, the wife of Elmo McClinton, a member
of Marable Hardware Company, at Clarksville; Delia,
who married Brit Dickson, who is in the grocery business
at Clarksville; and Cleveland, who is Mrs. Ollie
Doak, of ClarksvUle, Texas, and her husband is in tho
dry goods business, with The Doak Dry Goods Store.
All the various members of this family have come to
occupy, places of prominence in their various com-
munities, and they constitute a group of which their
parents may well be proud. Mr. and ilrs. Graves them-
selves take a high place in the best circles of Clarks-
ville, where they are esteemed for their many splendid
qualities of heart and mind by many who have known
them through long years of intimacy.



1846



TEXAS AND TEXANS



W. D. Wagxer. Dalhart is not least among those
centers of trade and population which typify the splendid
prosperity of the Panhandle, and its developments
in many ways to the efforts of one man, W. D. Wagner.
He started out in life with no money and with no pros-
pects, nothing but energy and a tremendous determina-
tion to succeed. For what he has done, and for what
he is, he is now admired and respected and has a solid
position in his community.

W. D. Wagner was born May 28, 1864, in Houston
county, Texas, and is therefore a Texan by birth as well
as by inclination. His parents were Francis Henry
Wagner and Cynthia M. (Pritchard) Wagner. The
former was born in Charleston, South Carolina, in 1820,
• and grew up in that old aristocratic center of southern
culture. When he came of age he became a large
slave holder and planter in his native state, but seeing
the opportunities in the new country in the southwest,
came to Texas and settled in Houston county in 1857.
In the struggle between the north and south he was one
of the first to offer his services to the Confederate
government and throughout the four long years of the
war he took an active part. The privations and dangers
of those years proved too much for him, and he returned
to his home at the end of the war with his health im-
paired so seriously that he never fully recovered his
strength. After freeing his slaves and selling his planta-
tion in Houston county, he removed to Crockett and lived
there until his death in 1878. He married Cynthia M.
Pritchard. Without a murmur at the sacrifices which
she had to make and the dangerous and lonely existence
which she would have to live on the Texas frontier, this
courageous young woman came with her husband to
his new home in Texas, and proved herself of the same
metal as her pioneer ancestors, who had helped their
husbands build their log cabins east of the AUeghanies.
She died in Crockett at the age of forty in 1870. Six
children were born of this union, five boys and one girl,
and of these W. D. Wagner was the fourth.

The education of Mr. Wagner was secured in the
public and later in the private schools of Houston
county. He was just six years old when his mother died
and the death of his father left him an orphan at the
age of fourteen. Two years later, in December, 1880,
he set out to make his own way in the world. Reach-
ing El Paso, with the courage and hope of youth, he
applied for a position on the El Paso Times, then
the leading newspaper of the southwest. Work was
given him in the mailing department. Other positions
came to him on that paper, each change being in the
nature of a promotion, until after three years, having
a thorough knowledge of many phases of newspaper
work, he returned home. In Crockett he was in the
newspaper business, and later established and conducted
for several years a paper at Groveton. In January,
1890, Mr. Wagner moved to Hardeman county, and from
that section in 1901 came to the Dalhart in search
of better pasturage. There he took charge of the
townsite of Dalhart, succeeded in getting people to buy
lots and interested them in locating in Dalhart and
the surrounding country. Since this start he has gone
into the real estate business in rnnipst. making a study
of conditions in various sei-tiiin- ..f ili.' cduntry, and

visiting a number of farniinu uMiiiitics in Iowa,

Missouri, Kansas and other stm.'^, timn which he has
drawn of the best to build up this section. He has
not only brought farmers, but also business men,
with money to invest. From the small beginning with
which Mr. Wagner started, he has seen Dalhart grow
to a town of almost metropolitan proportions.- With
two railroads intersecting at this point, and with the
prosperous farming and cattle-raising country tributary
to it, the town bids fair to become one of the large
cities of Texas, when the country reaches its normal
development. The two railroads, the Eock Island and
the Fort Worth and Denver City, both have direct con-



nections with all trans-continental and northern and
southern lines. Dalhart also has the business that always
centers in a county seat, for- it holds that relation to
Dallam county.

Mr. Wagner has naturally held many important posi-
tions in Dalhart business life. He was one of the or-
ganizers of the County Fair Association at Dalhart,
and was instrumental in securing the establishment of
the government experimental farm located near Dalhart.
He was elected mayor, in 1906, serving until 1910, and
during his administration great strides in the improv-
ing and modernizing of the city were taken. One of
the best sewer systems of the state was constructed,
sidewalks and streets were made, and many other im-
provements were added. He was the universal choice
for mayor in 1913, but declined the nomination. Mr.
Wagner is a member of the Benevolent and Protective
Order of Elks, and was the first exalted ruler of the
lodge in Dalhart.

In Quitman, Texas, on November 12, 1896, Mr. Wag-
ner married Mrs. Ida L. Setzer, a daughter of D. T.
and Mary Lipscomb. Her father is now deceased, but
her mother is still living with her son in Quitman at
the age of eighty. Mr. and Mrs. Wagner have one
child, Julia Wagner, born in 1898 in Quanah and who
died at the age of three and a half years at Kirksville,
Missouri, in 1902.

Though a man of accomplishment, Mr. Wagner is as
unassuming and as lacking in conceit as the simplest
farmer.^ Of a genial and kindly disposition he is always
ready to do a favor for any one, and the energy and
perseverance with which he has built a town out of
the wilderness make him a power for good in this
section. He can jirobably number more sincere friends
than some of those men whose names may so often be
found on the front pages or in the political columns of
the newspapers, for his friends are the kind that last
through every success or failure.

Judge Harvix W. Moore. No kindlier or more benign
spirit ever found place in mortal tenement than that
which represented the noble personality of Judge Harvin
W. Moore, who labored with all of zeal and devotion
in aiding and upli'fting his fellow men. He was a
clergyman of the Methodist Episcopal church, South, and
after retiring from regular pastoral work he continued to
labor with utmost consecration and earnestness as a
local preacher. He had a high sense of personal steward-
ship, was tolerant and kindly in his judgment, as he
well understood the well-springs of human thought and
motive, and though he was a man of high intellectual
attainments and broad views he was entirely free from
bigotry and selfish conceptions concerning his fellow
men and his general relations with a workaday world.
He endeared himself to all who came within the sphere
of his gracious influence and when, at his home in the
city of Crockett, Houston county, Texas, he was sum-
moned to eternal life, on the 7th of February, 1912,
there were thousands to mourn his loss with a deep
sense of personal bereavement. Virile and independent,
industrious and possessed of excellent business acumen,
stern in his ideas of personal rectitude, and yet en-
dowed with the rarest sweetness of soul, he was a man
among men and the world was made better through his
having lived.

Judge Moore was a scion of sturdy Scotch-Irish and
Pennsylvania Dutch stock and a representative of a
family that was early founded in the southern part of
our great national domain, so that he was essentially a
product of the fine old south, even as he ever exemplified
the courtly and gracious charm that typified the old
regime. His paternal grandmother bore the maiden
name of Jackson and was a representative of the same
family that produced the gallant and honored Confed-
erate officer and martyr. General ' ' Stonewall ' ' Jackson.
Judge Moore was born at Athens, the judicial center of



TEXAS AND TEXANS



1847



Limestone county, Alabama, on the 2d of May, 1S32,
and was reareil in a Christian home whose environment
and associations were most refined and benignant, the
while he was afforded excellent educational advantages,
as gauged by the standards of the locality and period.
At the early age of sixteen years he united with the
Methodist Episcopal church, South, and his entire life
thereafter was one of deep consecration to the faith
which he professed and to good works.

At the age of seventeen years Judge Moore severed
the ties that bound him to the parental home and set
forth to make his own way in the world. For some
time he was employed on a ferry-boat on the Mississippi
river, and he continued to be identified with navigation
interests on the ' ' Father of Waters ' ' for several years.
In 1854 he came to Texas and made Burnet county his
destination. A young man of excellent education, he
there found ready demand for his services as a repre-
sentative of the pedagogic profession, to which he
devoted his attention for two years, as a successful and
popular teacher in the pioneer schools. He also per-
formed other duties demanding high mental equipment.
In 1859, moved by an earnest desire to serve his fel-
lowmen and forward the work in the harvest of the
Divine Master, he entered the ministry of the Methodist
Episcopal church. South, and he continued his active
and fruitful labors as a pastor for nine years, within
which he held charges in turn at Paris, Liberty, San
Augustine, Palestine and Crockett, in which last men-
tioned city he continues to serve as a local preacher
until the close of his life, his interposition being in
aemand in the hours of joy and sorrow — at baptisms,
weddings and funerals, and also in temporarily supply-
ing vacant pastorates.

With a mind of exceptional virility and rare powers
of absorption and assimilation, Judge Moore showed
the versatility of his genius by preparing himself, with
characteristic thoroughness, for the legal profession.
He studied under the able preceptorship of Judge L. W.
Cooper, at that time one of the leading members of the
Houston county bar, and later he married the daughter
of his honored instructor. He was admitted to the
bar in 1865 and soon gained secure prestige as one of
the leading members of the bar of this section of the
state, with great ability and resourcefulness as a trial
lawyer. He continued in the active and successful prac-
tice of law for many years and a few years prior to
his death he retired from his profession to give his
attention to the supervision of his various real-estate
and capitalistic interests, which represented the con-
crete results of his earnest and honorable endeavors.
While ever generous and charitable, he was thrifty and
circumspect in business affairs, and he thus amassed an
appreciable fortune in Texas lands and other properties.
At the time of his death he owned several thousand acres
of land, in Houston, Haskell, Eobertson and other Texas
counties, besides one of the largest and finest residence
properties in Crockett, where he maintained his home
until the close of his life.

At the time of the Civil war Judge Moore went
to the front as an independent soldier, and he served
as chaplain of his company in a Texas regiment of the
Confederate service during virtually the entire period
of the war, his command having been on duty prin-
cipally in Texas and Arkansas. He was affiliated with
the Masonic fraternity for many yerirs prior to his
demise, and, like all ntlii'i .In^,' ,,l^,'.,\ri^ cf the teach-
ings of the time-honorc-^l tr.it. riiit\ . Ii.' I.licved that a

good Mason must nei-cs-;ii ily l.c :i - I ( Inistian. He

was well fortified in his opinions concerning matters of
economic and governmental policy and was an efficient
and zealous exponent of the principles of the Repub-
lican party, to which he ever gave unfaltering alle-
giance.

In 1867 was solemnized the marriage of Judge Moore
to Miss Georgia Cooper, who was born in Georgia and



who was a daughter of Judge L. W. Cooper. Her
father came to Texas in an early day and was for
many years a power in the i-.jnils nf Houston and other
counties of the eastern ]>;iit mT ilir st,ili>, besides which
he attained to high repiil.-ii umi :is :i Jurist, Of the
five children of this union tliin' ;iic li\iiig.

Leboy L. Moore, the fifth in order of birth of the
five children of the honored subject of this memoir, was
born in the fine old homestead in Crockett, on the 26th
of November, 1884, and in his character and achieve-
ment as a representative young man of his native county,
he has fully upheld the prestige of the name which he
bears. He availed himself fully of the advantages of
the public schools of his native city and thereafter com-
pleted a three years' course in each of the following
named institutions — Alexander Collegiate Institute, at
Jacksonville, Texas; the Southwestern University, at
Georgetown, this state, and the law department of
the University of Texas, at Austin. He was graduated
in each of these institutions and received his degrees
of B. A. from the S. \V. I', in 1907 and Bachelor of
Laws from the st:it<' iniivrisity in 1910. Upon his
graduation in the law ilrpintiiiciit he was honored by
being elected to the position of quiz-master in that de-
partment, but the impaired health of his father neces-
sitated his returning home after retaining this office one
month. Since the death of his father he has given the
major part of his time and atloition lo supervising the
affairs of the large fannlv r-t:itc and has also been
identified with several jiri\ati' intci |ii iscs. His inten-
tion is to enter actively upon tlio luailico of law in the
near future, and to fortify himself more fully for his
chosen profession he will complete a post-graduate
course in the law department of historic old Harvard
University.

Like his father, Mr. Moore is a most zealous church-
man and he is a valued and influential worker in the
local parish of the Methodist Episcopal church, South.
Besides being a member of the board of church con-
nections he has entered upon his fourth term of service
as superintendent of this Sunday school, in which de-
partment of church activity he has accomplished a
most fruitful work. He is an uncompromising adherent
of the Democratic party and is identified with repre-
sentative social organizations in his native city, where
his circle of friends is coincident with that of his
acquaintances and where he still permits his name to
remain engrossed on the roster of eligible bachelors. His
only sister, Mrs. Ruby DeCuir, is the wife of Mr. A. M.
DeCuir, a prominent druggist and representative business
man of Crockett; and his brother, Dr. Harvin C. Moore,
is engaged in the practice of his profession in the
city of Houston, as a specialist in the treatment of
genito-urninary diseases, besides which he has the dis-
tinction of being at the present time president of the
Harris County Medical Society. Mr. L. L. Moore is a
zealous member of the local chapter of I. O. O. F.,
No. 901, of Crockett, Texas.

Dr. Frank Charles Floeckinger. When Dr. Frank
Charles Floeckinger came from his native Germany to
America in 1S96, he made his first location in Galveston,
where he established himself in general practice and
continued for four years. In 1900, however, he moved
to Taylor, Texas, and here he has since continued to be
professionally engaged, although he has withdrawn
largely from general practice and confines himself almost
exclusively to surgery and gynecology. In the years of
his practice here he has become distinguished for his
acconqdishments which are of an especially praiseworthy
nature and the profession has honoreil him in various
ways. He conducts a ten-room private hospital or sani-
tarium in Taylor, which, though small, is excellently
equipped and most modern in its appointments.

The doctor was born at Innsbruch, Austria, in 1870,



TEXAS AND TEXANS



and received his education in the excellent schools of his
native land. Five years in the public schools vrere fol-
lowed by eight years of rigorous training in the German
Gymnasium, comparing creditably with our best high
schools, and when he had here prepared himself for
higher studies he entered the Medical University of
Innsbruch, later attending the University of Garaz and
being graduated from the latter named place in 1895,
when he received his medical degree. He then became
assistant surgeon for the Italian Lloyd Steamship Com-
pany at Trieste, and the following year came to Amer-
ica, locating at Galveston in 1896, as has been stated
in a previous paragraph.

Dr. Floeckinger 's advancement has been rapid and
justified for he has given his best energies and talents
to his work at all times. In 1903 he was appointed
assistant surgeon of the Second Infantry, Texas National
Guard, with the rank of First Lieutenant, and on June
24, 1904, was appointed to his present post of Captain
and Assistant Surgeon, Medical Corjis of the National
Guard of Texas. In 1909 Dr. Floeckinger represented
San Antonio as a delegate to the Conference of Naval
and Military Surgeons of the United States, before
which body he read a brilliant paper on ' ' Compound
Fractures." He is a member of the County, State and
American Medical Associations, and active in all three
organizations.

Dr. Floeckinger married Miss Hilda von Boggen-
brucke, who was born and reared at Comfort, Texas.
Mrs. Floeckinger is a graduate nurse and in her position
as matron of her husband's hospital conducts the train-
ing school for nurses at the hospital.

CoL. Andrew Todd McKinnet. The state of Texas
has reason for grateful renieiiibram-,. tn the name of
McKinney, which has been ideiii ili. .1 witli |ii(.neer educa-
tional work, the institution ami |ii I^ation of re-
ligion and morality, and with imlilii- lite in many direc-
tions. Andrew Todd McKinney is the veteran repre-
sentative of the family, and has lived at Huntsville,
and claims that place as his home since 18.50, with the
exception of some nine years spent in Mississippi, and
other brief intervals while he was away at college or
away at war.

Andrew Todd McKinnev was born in Illinois, March
18, 1838. His grandfatheV Samuel McKiTinoy was born
in County Antrim, Ireland, and soon attnr In^ mairiage
to Margaret Findley came to the I'liit.^l sintr^ and
settled in Hawkins county, Tennessee, a state wliich also
honored the name. There was a large family born to
the grandparents. One of them was Judge McKinney
of the Tennessee Supreme Court. Another was Dr.
McKinney, a prominent physician of Tennessee. One of
the daughters Elizabeth, married a Wilson, another
married a Eafter, and still another married a Murphy.
Grandfather McKinney came to the United States about
the year 1800, and died in Eogersville, Tennessee.

Dr. Samuel McKinney, father of the Huntsville law-
yer, was born in Hawkins county, Tennessee, in 1807,
was educated in the University of Pennsylvania, where
he graduated in 1832, and spent all his active career in
educational and religious work. For a time he was a
temporary resident as a missionary in the state of Illi-
nois. His church was the Presbyterian, and after being
licensed to preach he went out west and did a great
deal of missionizing along the frontier. In 1836 he was
married in Illinois to Miss Nancy "W. Todd, whose
father, Dr. Andrew Todd came from Chester county,
South Carolina, and practiced medicine at St. Louis until
his death. Dr. Samuel McKinney will always have a
prominent place in educational history in Texas as
the founder of Austin College at Huntsville which insti-
tution -was subsequently moved to Sherman. Dr. McKin-
ney did his last educational work in Huntsville at
Austin College and died in that city in 1879. Along
with his teaching he was active in the Presbyterian



ministry, and had charge at one' time of the Huntsville
church, and did more or less pastoral work in outside
churches. He took a decided stand in opposition to
secret societies. His wife died September 10, 1878,
leaving the following children : Andrew T. ; Mrs. Mar-
garet Davis, who died at San Augustine, Texas; Eleanor,
who married Judge Benton Randolph of Huntsville. and
died there; Mrs. Cornelia Smedes, a widow, living at
Boulder, Colorado ; and Dr. B. A. McKinney of LaGrange,
Texas. Dr. Samuel McKinney after the death of his
first wife married Mrs. E. L. Copes, who soon after-
wards died.

Andrew Todd McKinney was twelve years old when his
father came to Texas, and he grew up in this state,
was educated in Austin College at Huntsville, and was
subsequently sent east and graduated from Princeton
University in 1858. His studies for the law were pur-
sued at Knoxville, Tennessee, where he was under the
supervision of Judge Robert J. McKinney, previously
referred to. Mr. McKinney was admitted to the bar at
Knoxville, and began practice at Huntsville, in January,
1866. Previously he had read law at New Orleans,
had taught schools at Centerville, and assisted his father
in educational work in Ascension Parish in Lousiana.
During the war he served a short time with a Lousiana
regiment. During his law practice at Huntsville, Col.
McKinney was a member of the firm of McKinney &
Hume, then Randolph & McKinney, McKinney & Leigh,
and finally McKinney & Hill. He was one of the counsel
in the famous Gaiza Eleven-League Grant litigation.
That is one of the most famous land cases in Texas
legal annals, and was in the courts for seven years.
Colonel McKinney represented Mr. McMannus, the de-
fendant in the case, and the McMannus contention was
sustained.

Colonel McKinney conies of an old Democratic family
and for many years was a factor in campaign work in
Texas. He was a member of the Hogg-Clark ear-shed
convention at Houston in 1892, and one of the able sup-
porters of Governor Hogg. .His public career, began
with his service in the constitutional convention of 1873.
He was a member of the eighteenth, nineteenth, twenty-
second and twenty-fourth, the twenty-ninth, thirtieth,
thirty-first, and thirty-second legislatures. While in the
legislature he was chairman of the International and
Great Northern Investigating Company, one of the
committee appointed to investigate the pentitentiary, a
member of the committee of education in the eighteenth
session, when a bill was passed for the partial endow-
ment of the university, by a grant of one million acres
of the public domain. For some time he was a mem-
ber of the board of regents of the University. He was



Online LibraryFrancis White JohnsonA history of Texas and Texans (Volume 4) → online text (page 82 of 177)