Francis White Johnson.

A history of Texas and Texans (Volume 4) online

. (page 85 of 177)
Online LibraryFrancis White JohnsonA history of Texas and Texans (Volume 4) → online text (page 85 of 177)
Font size
QR-code for this ebook


Flippo, proprietor of the Vernon Commercial College
at Vernon. Mr. Flippo has been engaged in this line
of educational work all his career and has made a dis-
tinctive success.

He was born in Millsap, Texas, May 12, 1888, the
second in a family of ten children born to George
W^ashington and Maggie (Bly) Flippo, the former a
native of Alabama, and the latter of Virginia. Both
father and mother came to Texas with their respected
parents, and the father located and spent a number
of years at Fort Worth, where he followed the trade
of brick mason, and in the same line in different sec-
tions of Texas. He is now living at Whitt, Texas, at
the age of fifty. The mother who was educated and
married in this state is now forty-five years of age.

Ernest S. Flippo, as a boy, attended school at Mineral
Wells, Texas, and after finishing his high school course
entered the Tyler Commercial College, taking his
diploma there December 5, 1907. His first work was
as assistant principal in the commercial department at
the Abilene Business College, where he remained nine
months. He then organized a writing school, and did
work along that line for five months after which he
moved to Quanah, and spent several months as com-
mercial and penmanship teacher. He was connected
with the McKinney business college for two years, and
then changed his residence to Vernon, where he was
for some months associated with the Draughons Busi-
ness College.

On September 3, 1912, he opened the Vernon Com-
mercial College, an institution which has since met the
needs of commercial education in this section of the
state, lias drawn a large number of pupils from the
immediate and more remote sections, and is now a
flourishing school.

Mr. Flippo is a Democrat in politics, is affiliated with
the Woodmen of the World, and has membership in the
Methodist church. At Vernon, on January 27, 1911,
he was married to Jewel Murphy, a daughter of H. M.
Murphy of Burnet, Texas. Her parents who are still
living, were early settlers in western Texas.

John S. Hill, M. D. With all of consistency may
this well known and honored physician of Texas be
termed one of the world's benefactors, for he has ac-
comi)lished a great and noble work in tho treatment of
the unfortunate victims of the dnif; ;iiid licpmr haliits,
to which p'hase of professional eiidr:i\nr lir imw devotes
virtually his entire time and attciitinii. llis success,
through the medium of a course of tr(?alnu'iit originated
by himself, has been most definite and unequivocal, and
for the proper care of the many who come to him for
succor from the pitiable and baneful habits noted, he



has established a private sanitarium in the beautiful
city of Greenville, Hunt county. This institution is at-
tractive in its appointments and is thoroughly modern
in its equipment and facilities in all departments. It
is known as the Hill Sanitarium and Dr. Hill is inde-
fatigable, sympathetic and unselfish in his eft'orts to
make the institution a veritable haven of refuge to those
who seek freedom from the insatiable dominion of the
drug and liquor addictions. The greater honor is due
the Doctor by reason of the fact that he has been in
the most significant sense the architect of his own for-
tunes and has achieved prominence and distinction in
his exacting profession, as well as high reputation in his
chosen field of practice.

Dr. Hill was born at Searcy, White county, Arkansas,
on the 28th of June, 1854, and was a lad of ten years
at the time of the family removal to Lamar county,
Texas, in which state he has maintained his home during
the long intervening .years and in which his parents
continued to reside until their death. He gained his
rudimentary education in the public schools of Lamar
county and supplemented this by ambitious self-dis-
cipline, as he devoted his otherwise leisure hours to care-
ful reading and study. Through his own efforts he earned
the money which enabled him to complete a partial course
in the medical department of the University of Ten-
nessee, at Nashville, but his financial resources reached
so low an ebb that he was unable to continue his studies
to the point of graduation. Upon his return to Texas
he proved, by most successfully passing the required
examination, that he was eligible for the practice of
medicine, and he was granted the necessary license.
He initiated his professional work in Delta county, and
finally established his residence at Cooper, the judicial
center of that county. He gained definite success as a
general practitioner and through continuous study and
research kept himself in touch with the advances made
in medical and surgical science. He was engaged in
practice for some time at Sulphur Springs, Hopkins
county, and finally he located at Waxahatchie, the cap-
ital of Ellis county, where he built up a large and rep-
resentative practice and where he continued his earnest
labors for a long period of years.

In 1897 Dr. Hill established his home in the city of
Greenville, and here he has since given his attention
almost exclusively to the treatment for drug and liquor
addiction. About the year 1892 he began the use of
a system of treatment which he himself had devised for
use in such deplorable cases, and so successful did this
system prove in practical results that the Doctor finally
retired entirely from general practice to devote all of
his time and efforts to the treatment of those addicted
to the use of drugs, intoxicating liquors and cigarettes.
Hundreds of victims to these habits have been perma-
nently cured through availing themselves of the advan-
tages of his sanitarium, which occupies two large build-
ings, and he has so improved his method of treatment
that it represents virtually a specific agency for the cure
of the disorders noted — a practical antidote for the
poisons insidiously instilled into the human system
through liquor and drugs and creating a pathological
condition. The treatment is generously commended by
the ethical medical profession, and a proposition has
been made to bring about legislation providing for the
use of the Hill system in the state institutions of Texas.
A noteworthy feature of the Hill sanitarium is that its
patients are entirely free from restraint and other stren-
uous methods of treatment commonly utilized in institu-
tions where the drug and liquor habits are treated and,
further than this. Dr. Hill shows his deep humanitarian
spirit by doing all in his power to aid his jiatients
through advice and admonition, to quicken conscience
and bring forward high ideals of morality and Christian
faith. He is generous, sympathetic and considerate, and
aside from his regular life work he is liberal in the
support and furtherance of charitable and religious



1856



TEXAS AND TEXANS



activities. His political allegiance is given to the
Democratic party and his religious I'aith is that of the
Methodist churcli, of which he is a zealous and liberal
supporter.

As indicative of the great work being done by Dr.
Hill is given an account of the redemption through the
medium of his treatment of a woman of culture and
refinement who had fallen to the lowest depths and
whose initial step toward the rehabilitation ot her life
was made under the sympathetic guidance of a Metho-
dist deaconess in the city of Dallas, where the unfor-
tunate woman, not yet old in years, had been found by
this Samaritan Woman "in an old saloon in the city
of Dallas, lying on a bed of filthy rags. She who had
once graced the courts of kings had fallen into the
depths, lost to all hope, forgetful of all things uplift-
ing. She was given treatment in four different institu-
tions, but each in turn failed to bring her back from
the awful realm of fantastic figures, darkness and death.
Despair had almost closed in on us in our fight to
reclaim her, when we found Dr. Hill and here she has
been won back to lite. ' ' The foregoing words are those
of the devoted deaconess who effected the rescue, and
who later gave a brief record concerning the life of the
woman whom she "plucked as a brand from the burn-
ing." From this record the following extracts are
made, with certain paraphrase and elimination:

' ' Ada came of wealthy parentage and she was given
every advantage to secure an education; she was grad-
uated in Potters College, Bowling Green, Kentucky,
where she made a splendid record. She was a beautiful
girl and very fond of society. Eventually there came
across her path an Austrian nobleman, Oount Arthur
Ford Blanther von Seipic. He was a man of winning
ways and much affability, and within her young bosom,
already set upon social distinctions, there came a beau-
tiful vision of courts and kings beyond the seas. It was
an easy matter to fall in love with the count. They
were married and her dreams of the society of the east
came true. She was presented at the Austrian court, to
Emperor Joseph, and at the court of St. James she was
presented to yueen Victoria.

' ' Eventually a daughter was born to the couple, at a
country place near London. Soon afterward they began
a tour around the world, but alas! though too late to
help her, the wife learned that her nobleman was a
gambler. They reached Chicago on their trip, but there
the count indulged too freely his propensities for games
of chance, and lost heavily. In his desperation he de-
cided to end it all. He shot his beautiful young wife
and, think he had killed her, he turned the gun on
liiniself and was dead when his side was reached. For
weeks the young widow lay in the hospital and under
the influence of drugs. Much to the surprise of her
physicians, she recovered from the wound, but, alas! a
victim of drugs. Because of her inability at that time
to care for her child she gave the babe to friends, and
there she began her downward course. Her fortune was
gone and it was necessary for her to gain a livelihood.
She tried school teaching and stenography, but the battle
was more than she could bear. She fell, and became the
mistress of a well known Texas millionaire. After a
time he tired of her. Her beauty was fading and she
began dropping lower and lower until she reached the
final depths of human degradation, lost to the world and
associating with crime. She was such a being when I
found her, and although she had taken treatment she
was such when Dr. Hill took her into charge. She was
cured and now she is in her right mind, clothed in rea-
son, with hope in the eyes, and with bright prospects
before her. Soon after she felt the return of conscious-
ness of a better life she professed a faith in Christ.
She says she is h:ip|iy iiml nxci- jnyed at the change in
her career." A ^:hI an.l .iwnil ^lury is this brief record
and aside from iill . i.iiii.ri h.n ivith the great service
rendered by Dr. Hill, m Chiistiuu zeal and all of sym-



pathy, the tale offers an object lesson that may well be
read by fathers and mothers and by young men and
women throughout the length and breadth of our fair
land.

Dr. Hill married Miss Laura Duff in 18S0. There has
been six children by this marriage: Stanley, who eon-
ducts a sanitarium at Ardmore, Oklahoma, owned by his
father; Clarence, assistant manager of his father's
Greenville sanitarium; George, secretary of his father's
Greenville institution ; Wallace A., also associated with
his father, attends to outside correspondence outside the
state; and Joseph and Annie, deceased.

J. H. Marriott. J. H. Marriott, prominent grocer,
one time hotel owner and proprietor in Electra, former
mayor of the city and today financially concerned in
the principal oil developments in the Electra field,
where he is the owner of some two hundred and seven-
teen acres, is unquestionably one of the really big men
of the city and county. His activities along every line
have been particularly worthy and of inestimable value
to his community, and he takes his place among the
leaders of thought and action in the city that has long
held his interests and- been the scene of his activities.
He is a son of William Edward and Ellen (Burt ell)
Marriott, and he was born on the 27th day of Decem-
ber, 1857. His father was a native of Maryland and
mother of Kentucky, and they came to Texas soon
after their marriage in the latter named state, settling
in Dallas county among the earliest pioneers to that
place. William Marriott was a farmer and stockman,
prominent and prosperous, and during the Civil war he
participated in the hostilities as a member ot a Texas
company and regiment. Later in life he moved to
Wiley, in Collin county, where he died in 1903 at the
age of seventy-six. The mother died in Collin county
also, in 1904, when she was seventy-two years of age.
Nine children were born to them, and of that number
J. H. Marriott was the seventh in order of birth.

J. H. Marriott attended the schools of Dallas and
Collin counties as a boy, and when he left off his studies
he turned his attention to farming at home, then en-
gaged in the business independently in Collin and Dallas
counties, and continuing until 1904.

On July 11, 1904, Mr. Merriott came to Wichita
county and settled at Electra, where he launched the
Electra Hotel business and continued in the manage-
ment of the hostelry for two years. He then built the
Marriott Hotel, conducting the same for twelve months
only, after which he started up in the grocery business.
He undertook this enterprise in 1906, in association
with Mr. Bob Cook and his son, and about that time
he disposed of the Marriott Hotel, devoting himself to
the grocery business. This establishment, begun on a
small scale, is today one of the big grocery concerns
of the place, and is managed and operated mainly by
Mr. Marriott's son, he himself giving his time and
attention to his other interests. In the past three
years Mr. Marriott has come into a deal of wealth
"as a result of his interest in the oU operations of the
Electra Oil belt, and his holdings of two hundred and
seventeen acres net him aggregate royalties of from
eight to nine thousand dollars a month. His one half
interest in a two hundred and seventeen acre tract in
the oU belt is leased by the Producer's OU Company,
and another tract of sixty-eight and one-half acres is
leased bv the Forest Oil Company, and the remaining
forty acres by the Five Rivers Oil Company, besides
which he has other holdings in land, and also owns
an interest in the oil companies that are operating on
his lands.

Mr. Marriott is a man of much public spirit and one
who has since coming to Electra, shown himself to be
a citizen of the most approved type. He served one
term as mayor of Electra, and was elected to fill the
office of chief executive for another term, but the press



TEXAS AND TEXANS



1857



of private affairs compelled his resignation. He is a
Democrat, and a member of the Eoman Catholic church.

On January 13, 1880, ilr. Marriott was united in
marriage with Miss Eosie Cotter, of Collin county,
Texas, and the daughter of Edward Cotter and his
wife, now both deceased. Six children have been born
to them. Mrs. Annie Spurgin, the eldest, has three
children; Mrs. Mary J. Dempsey, also of Collin county,
has a family of five children; Edward Marriott, living
in Electra, and his father 's business associate, conducts
the grocery business established by the elder Marriott
some years ago and is a capable and rising young
business man, and promises to do credit to his father;
Mrs. Clara Turner lives in Electra; Kobert Marriott is
deceased, and John Marriott the youngest child, lives
at home.

In Electra the Marriott family are leaders in the
best social activities of the community, and enjoy the
esteem and confidence of a large circle of friends and
acquaintances. Mr. Marriott is one of the most prosper-
ous and high standing men of the state, and his suc-
cess has been evolved from a lowly beginning as a
farmer 's boy. He has made a name for himself in
these parts, and is justly entitled to the place he now
occupies. The family resides on Wagner street, where
they have one of the finest homes in Electra.

William G. Stannaed. WUliam G. Stannard is
manager of the Western Union Office at Paris, a posi-
tion he has filled here since 1885.

Mr. Stannard came to Paris, Texas, from Mount
Vernon, Indiana, to which place he had accompanied
his parents as a child from Jackson, Tennessee, where
his father finished a long career as a railroad man with
the Mobile & Ohio railroad, the same being terminated
suddenly by the outbreak of the Civil war. Eome, Xew
York, was the birth place of WiUiam G. Stannard, and
February 15, 1855, his natal day. His father was Gran-
ville C. Stannard, a machinist, who went to Illinois in
1856 and worked for the first railroad built in that
state. It ran from Chicago to Cairo eventually, but had
its terminus at Centralia for a time. Just before the
war Granville Stannard went to Tennessee, where seces-
sion and rebellion changed the whole tenor of his life.
Being out of unison with the principles of the south,
Granville C. Stannard crossed the Ohio river to loyal
northern territory and located at Mount Vernon, Indi-
ana, where he bought a small farm implement factory,
and occupied himself in making farming tools during
the few remaining years of his life. He died in 1866,
when he was but forty years old. He was born at
Syracuse, New York, and was of Irish and Pennsyl-
vania Dutch ancestry. He married Mary Vandenberg,
the daughter of an early superintendent of the street
railway of Binghampton. Mrs. Stannard died at Mount
Vernon, Indiana, in 1888, and William G. is one of the
six children of his parents, the others being named as
follows: Charles, who died in Evansville, Indiana, in
1908, and left a family at his death; Lucy, who mar-
ried Charles Mauss first, later marrying David Dooley,
and dying at New Haven, Illinois; Ellen married John
Wilkerson and resides at Mount Vernon, Indiana; Hat-
tie married John Radcliffe and lives in Jackson, Mich-
igan ; Henry is manager of the Western Union business
at Port Smith, Arkansas.

William G. Stannard had but few advantages of
schooling, attending school but a few years, and he
had just entered his teens when he gave up his studies
to become a messenger lioy for the old Ohio Eiver
Telegraph Company at his home town. His first posi-
tion as an operator was at Carlisle, Indiana, and he
was but fifteen years of age at the time, and weighed
ninety-six pounds, — but he was neither too young nor
too light to faithfully discharge the duties of his office
as operator for the raUroad office. He followed this
position with a period as relief operator for the rail-



road, and subsequently was made operator at Terra
Haute. He quitted railroad work there in 1872 and
continued with the Western Union at Mount Vernon,
continuing with that office until he was transferred to
Texas in 1885. His long and continuous service with
the company gives him a prominent place on the pen-
sion rolls of the company when he chooses to retire,
and ranks him among the few pioneer operators still
handling the key. His millions of words sent over the
wire and his volumes of messages taken in long hand
have not destroyed the youthful cunning of his hand,
and he is still quick and accurate in the handling of
the key.

In 1872 Mr. Stannard married Catherine V. Moore
at Mount Vernon, Indiana. She is the daughter of an
old Ohio Eiver flatboat pilot, George Moore. The
children of Mr. and Mrs. Stannard are Lillie, the wife
of John Moore, of Paris, Texas; Eugene, chief operator



of the Western Uni



at Shr



veport



Louii



Mrs.



Grace Stevens of Paris; Albert, who is operator for the
Shreveport Cotton Exchange; Fannie, the wife of H.
A. Bass, of Fort Worth; Marie, the wife of Fred
Conley, lives at Terre Haute, Indiana; and Frank lives
in Paris, Texas. Mr. Stannard has been an Odd Fellow
since he was twenty-one years of age and holds the
veteran's jewel from the Texas Grand Lodge for his
record of twenty-five years of service without a mark
against him. He has passed all chairs of the subor-
dinate lodge. Eeligiously, he is a member of the
Methodist church.

William P. Duncan. A man who has borne a
worthy part in the business activities of the city of
Paris since 1889, as well as in those of a purely civic
nature, is William P. Duncan, of the Conway-Duncan
Company, of this city. Active, energetic and always
an ambitious man, Mr. Duncan began his mercantile
career with a clerkship, as have so many of the success-
ful merchants the country has known, and prior to his
association with John T. Conway, to whom is dedicated
a sketch on other pages of this work, he had been a
member of a number of mercantile firms, in addition
to his varied service as a salesman in mercantile lines.
His success has been in every way worthy of the man,
whose character as man and merchant have never been
assailed in all the years of his commercial activity, a
fact which makes his career the more pleasing to con-
template. Mr. Duncan comes of an old and estimable
Alabama family, he himself having beeu born in Tala-
poosa county, at Newsite, in that state, in 1869, and a
son of Admiral Osborn and Laura Ann (Powell) Dun-
can, both natives of the state.

Admiral Osborn Duncan was born within a mile of
the place where death overcame him. He was a son
of L. Bryant Duncan, who settled in Talapoosa county,
from Georgia, the latter being born in that state in
1820, dying in his Alabama home in 1904. He belonged
to the aristocratic planter class and was the owner of
many negroes. He was a Baptist, of the variety known
as "Hardshell," and a man of weight and power in
his community. He married Narcissa Carnifax, who
was reared in Talapoosa county, near Horse Shoe Bend,
where her parents settled, and where the back of the
great Cherokee tribe was broken in 1814, in the famed
battle of Horse Shoe Band. The family of L. Bryant
Duncan and his wife were six in number, and mention
is made of them brieflv as follows: Allen, a resident
of Bartlett, Texas; John, who died as a Confederate
soldier; Admiral Osborn, the father of the subject;
Wainright R., who died in Alabama after having spent
many years in Cass county, Texas ; Isa B., who mar-
ried James Lindsay and Anna, the wife of John R.
Irvin, both of whom passed away in the vicinity of the
old Alabama home, leaving no issue.

Eeverting to the earlier ancestor of the subject, it
may be said that his great-grandfather, Allen Duncan,



1858



TEXAS AND TEXANS



Tras one of four brothers who were conspicuous in South
Carolina as planters. They were: Miles T., Daniel,
William P. and Allen. Of Scotch ancestry, which set-
tled in New England and drifted into the south with
the general movement in that direction following the
days of the Revolution, the family has been since that
time prominently identified with the activities of the
southern states.

Admiral Osborn Duncan in early manhood married
Miss Laura Ann Powell, a daughter of Jackson Powell,
who lived in the vicinity of Wetumke, Alabama, when
his daughter was born. Professor Jackson Powell was
a man of considerable erudition, and he married the
daughter of Benjamin Cogburn. Admiral Osljorn Dun-
can and his wife reared four children, as follows:
John Bryant, who passed his life at Bartlett, Texas;
he married Lorena Jones, and at his death left two
children; Edna and Harold Osborn Duncan; William
P., of this review; Zoe L. married Joseph C. Manning
and lives in Birmingham, Alabama ; Narcissa F. is the
wife of AVilliam McCrockland, of Gatesville, Texas, and
has four daughters.

The education of William P. Duncan was a liberal
one, gained in the public schools of Bartlett, Texas,
where the family settled in 188.5. He was twenty
years old when he came to Paris and began a business
career which is now approaching the quarter century
mark. His first work in Paris was a clerkship with
the old Paris Dry Goods Company, and he later became
a member of the new firm of Lattimore & Duncan.
After four years he became the senior member of the
firm of Duncan, Pool & Hutchinson, a concern that
went out of business in 1905, when Mr. Duncan en-
tered the service of Fleisher Brothers, of Philadelphia,
Pennsylvania, as a road salesman, and continued with
them in that capacity for two and a half years.

Resuming active business operations once more, Mr.
Duncan purchased the interest of E. H. Conway, the
junior member of the firm of Conway Brothers, and the
firm of Conway & Duncan came into being. The later



Online LibraryFrancis White JohnsonA history of Texas and Texans (Volume 4) → online text (page 85 of 177)