Francis White Johnson.

A history of Texas and Texans (Volume 4) online

. (page 95 of 177)
Online LibraryFrancis White JohnsonA history of Texas and Texans (Volume 4) → online text (page 95 of 177)
Font size
QR-code for this ebook

of June, 1864, left Nebraska City, reaching Salt Lake
City in the following November. He drove cattle across
the plains and disposed of them at a handsome profit
in the Cache A^alley in December, 1S64. Colonel Crow
became very favorably inipresseil with this country and
determined to make it his future home. He returned to
Missouri the 2d of December, 1864, by stage line run-
ning from Salt Lake City to Nebraska City, known as
the Frost and HoUiday Line, a much more pleasant way
to travel than the way he had gone, by ox-teams, travel-
ing nine or ten mUes a day, but his health was fully re-
cuperated and he never had reason to regret taking the
trip. When reaching home he sold his lovely home and
other property and outfitted with goods and merchandise
of different kinds, and May 21, 1865, started again across
the plains, behind ox-teams, five yoke to a team, nine
wagons, with 4,.50O pounds to a wagon. Virginia City,
Montana (territoryj, was reached August 22, 186.5, with-
out the loss of life to one in the party. However, the
trip was not made without perils and hazards, as told by
Mrs. Crow, who survives her husband and is well known
in Austin. We quote from her account :

' ' We were attacked by Indians of the most warlike
tribe, the Ogalala Sioux, but after several hours of con-
tinual fighting managed to drive the hostiles off, although
one of our men was wounded by an arrow, an injury from
which he recovered in a week or so. He always thought
he was saved from death by a cross pin which I wore all
the time and which he had noticed. My husband had
made it in prison and had sent it to me as a Christmas
present in 1863. Those were troublesome, tiring and
irritating days for all concerned, but not a loud or dis-
tasteful word was ever uttered by Colonel Crow nor any
profane language was indulged in by any of the party,
which often numbered as many as 100 people. The In-
dians were very desperate and determined to drive off the
cattle and kill the immigrants, and we were very much
afraid of them. A. H. Crow, the oldest son of Colonel
Grow, was then just fifteen years of age and very deli-
cate, but the trip was exceedingly beneficial to his health,
as it had formerly been to his father's.

"After living in Virginia City for two years, we sold
out and returned to the States, leaving June 18, 1869, by
stage line for Fort Benton, on the upper Missouri Eiver,
where we took a boat, "The Fort Benton," coming down
the Missouri Eiver to Forest City, Missouri, and going
thence to Oregon and on to Mound City to visit my
mother. Mr. Crow went on to Kentucky for a visit to
his old home at Hartford, Ohio county, and Allie Crow
went to Carrolton, Kentucky, to attend college. In Sep-
tember, 1867, we again started for Texas, leaving St.
Joseph, Missouri, for New Orleans, Louisiana, on a large
Missouri-Mississippi river packet, the "Telegraph No.
2." an excellent boat and a delightful wav to travel.
The captain was named Lorillard, belonging "to the fam-
ily of tobacco fame, and was a perfect manager of his
boat. It seemed to us that our hardships and privations
were about over, but it was not to be so. When we
reached New Orleans, on September 17th, we found that
unfortunate city in the throes of one of its worst yellow
fever epidemics, more people having died on the 15th
and 16th of that month than at any other time during
the season. Naturally, we were most anxious to leave
the stricken city. Dr. Carter instructed us to go to the
water, and there we found our same boat. Captain Lor-

illard extending a kind invitation to us to come aboard
his vessel, on which we traveled back to the mouth of
the Bed Eiver and up to the town of Alexandria. There,
however, the people did not want us to land, as they had
received news of the epidemic at New Orleans and feared
that we would spread contagion. Colonel Crow said : ' I
will land, but do not ask you to let me go into your
town, ' but the countrymen still insisted that we should
not come near them, and it was necessary for Colonel
Crow to display his gun, a well-mounted weapon, which,
however, I had never heard of being an especially good
one, although my husband was very proud of it. Finally
an old man by the name of Captain Feathers came and
shook hands with us and said : ' My friends, I own a
hotel, so just follow me and I will take you under
shelter.' Colonel Crow thanked him and said: 'On one
condition, and that is if you will buy me a pair of
horses, a spring wagon and suitable things with which
we can camp. ' This done, we started Texasward with
our three children, and reached Washington county, near
Independence, October 5, 1867. In a few days we were
all down with yellow fever, Colonel Crow being very ill
for several days and one of the children being also very
sick — but the Crows were not to die that way. After
the sick members of the party had recovered we moved
to Bastrop county, Texas, reaching that point in a cold
norther, November 20th. From Bastrop we moved to
Austin in 1870, and here I have made my home ever
since. I really feel as though I were a Texan. ' '

From his arrival in Austin in 1870, until his death, in
March, 1903, Colonel Crow was successfully engaged in
the mercantile business, being one of his city's sub-
stantial men at the time of his demise. With a kind and
generous heart, which delighted in deeds of benevolence,
his influence was altogether beneficent, and his attitude
at times heroic. The world is better for the lives of such
men. Mrs. Crow is a lady of remarkable abilities, is
widely known in Austin, and has the friendship and affec-
tion of many who know her. She has been the mother
of the following children: Mary, who is now deceased;
Kittle, who is the wife of W. B. Estill; Louise, the wife
of W. A. Boswell, a real estate man of Austin; Acrata,
who is the wife of C. A. King; A. H., who died in 1882;
Galen, who is superintendent of the Water and Light
Power Company at Guthrie, Oklahoma; McCreery, who
is a prominent farmer of Hayes county, Texas, and Wil-
liam Price, who is a prosperous dairyman of Travis
county, Texas.

Colonel Crow was a Knights Templar Mason, as is his
son Galen. McCreery and William are Blue Lodge
Masons, and A. H. had attained to the Scottish Eite
degree. The wife of A. H. Crow, who had been Miss
Julia Filers, of Bastrop, Texas, died in 1881 without

Ward B.\nkhead. Bepresenting a family which has
lived in Parker county for more than thirty "years. Ward
Bankhead is a native of the county, a popular young
citizen, who has been entrusted by the people with the
office of county clerk, in which he is giving excellent and
efficient service.

Ward Bankhead was born January 23, 1887, in
Parker county. His parents are G. J. and Georgia Ann
Bankhead. Great-grandfather Bankhead came to Amer-
ica from Ireland, while on the mother's side, Mr.
Bankhead is of Scotch ancestry. The father was an
Alabama man, while the mother came from Virginia.
G. J. Bankhead moved from Alabama to Texas about
1870, first locating in. Dallas, where he was agent for
the Texas Trunk railroad, and later took up farming
and mechanical pursuits. His removal to Parker county
occurred about 1880, where he has since continued
farming and mechanical work. In 1904 he was hon-
ored by election to the office of county clerk and held
that position two terms. During the war among the
states he was captain of company K, Fifth Alabama,


Patterson 's Brigade of Cavalry, and went through the
war from the early parts until its close. There were
six children in the family, three sons and three daugh-
teis, all of whom are livnig in 1913.

Ward Bankhcail, ^ei-unu among the children, has
lived all his life iu I'arker county, and Vas trained in
the local public school;^. In 190.5 he completed a course
in the Dallas Business College. His first regular work
was as stenographer, with the Fisher Dry Goods House,
and two years later he entered the courthouse at
W.'iilli.! 1(11.1 as deputy county clerk, his work in that
i:;|,i in I i-iiiiiiug January 1, 1907. His service as
<li'|iit\ u,i\r liim a thorough familiarity with all the
diiaii^ "t tile (rltice, and in 1912, when his name was
placed on the ticket as candidate for the office, he was
elected without opposition. He was admitted to the
bar in October, 1913. Mr. Bankhead is a Democrat of
the progressive kind, and has done considerable cam-
paign work in Parker county. During 1910 to 1912, he
was a precinct chairman. Fraternally his affiliations
are with the Masonic order, in which he has taken the
Chapter and Knights Templar degrees, and is also a
member of the Mystic Shrine. WTienever possible, Mr.
Bankhead is ready to support and cooperate with any
local movement for the improvement of his locality,
anil lie is OIK- of the popular members of the Weather-
fni,| CoMiiii. ii ial Club. His church is the Presbyterian.
As u(iiii.i 1 ijiiity offers he spends his vacation Ininting
and (isliiiiy, and is one of the vigorous and public
spirited younger members of this splendid west Texas

Robert Lee Stexxis. A former county judge of
Parker county, Robert Lee Stennis has for twenty
years been a resident of Weatherford, and during most
of this time has been in active practice as a lawyer.
Judge Stennis is. a leader in his part of the state, a
man of wholesome influence iu affairs, and has a splen-
did record of accomplishment and attainment.

Robert Lee Stennis was born July 10, 1870, near
Meridian, Mississippi, a son of A. T. and Julia (Ed-
wards) Stennis. The Stennis family is of Scotch and
Irish stock and Presbyterian in religion. There are
large numbers bearing the name in the states of Missis-
sippi and South Carolina, and most of them were slave
holders and planters before the war and took an active
part on the Confederate side. On his mother's side
Judge Stennis is connected with the prominent old
Edwards family, which came from Holland and settled
in the Middle Atlantic and Southern states in the early
days. The maternal grand mother was of English stock,
thus uniting four different racial lines of ancestry in
the judge. The judge's father was a planter and before
the war a slave holder, and continued in that vocation
until his death. During the war he became an officer
in the Confederate army, having raised a company in
Kemper county, Mississippi, serving as its captain,
later was promoted to major of the Fifth Mississippi
Infantry, and still later became lieutenant colonel. He
went all through the war, and was one of the distin-
guished southern soldiers. His death occurred in Missis-
sippi in 1878, and his wife died in 1S9-1. There were
seven children, four sons and three daughters, all of whom
are now living. Judge Stennis is the youngest son.

As a boy he lived on the Mississippi plantation, at-
tending the local schools, and for five years was a stu-
dent in the Agricultural and Mechanical College of Mis-
sissippi at Starksville, while General S. D. Lee was presi-
dent of the institution. In 1892 he graduated with the
degree of Bachelor of Science. The following three years
were spent in teaching iu Mississippi and Texas, his resi-
dence in the latter state beginning in 1893. Since that
year his home has been in Parker county. WTiile teach-
ing he took up the study of law, and in Mav 1895 was
admitted to the bar at Weatherford.

Judge Stennis has had an active part in public affairs.

and in 1904 was elected county judge of Parker county,
holding office for two terms. When he was first elected
to the office the custom still prevailed in Texas as else-

where of a
among state aii.l i uiuii
showed himself in aii\
lived up to the stami
which may be said i
state. When passes w
returned them to the i
wards in a county judge

the railroad of passes
s of all grades. The judge
liis time, and scrupulously
<-\\\r aud official conduct
lui'Miil generally over the
lo liiiii as county judge, he
roniiiaiiies, and soon after-
leution condemned the uses

ith all his power of utterance, aud eventually secured
the passage of resolutions prohiljiting the acceptance of
railroad passes by the county judges. It illustrates his
fidelity to his convictions of right that he refused the
passes and began the agitation at a time when his ac-
tion would be of the greatest benefit, and when it could
not possibly be misconstrued. The judge has always
been a Democrat, is a very effective speaker, and has
taken part in a number of campaigns. He was a delegate
from his county to the state convention in 1900, and is a
loyal supporter of the present Wilson administration.

Fraternally his associations are with the Masonic Or-
der in which he has taken the Knights Templar degree,
and belongs to the Mystic Shrine, aud he is also affiliated
with the Knights of Pythias and the Woodmen of the
World. As an active worker for local benefits, he has
membership in the Chamber of (Jommerce of Weather-
ford. His church is the Southern Presbyterian, in which
for eighteen years he has served as an elder.

On December 12, 1900, at Waxahachie, Texas, Mr.
Stennis married Miss Lu Rainey Nash, a daughter of
John and Lu Rainey Nash, who came from Louisiana to
Texas in an early day. Her father was an attorney at
law, and died iu ISSi, while her mother is still living.
The judge and wife have two children, a son and a
daughter. Miss Rainey Lee Stennis, aged eleven and
now a student in the public schools ; and Robert Nash
Stennis, aged three.

Judge Stennis is a steadfast booster of the resources
and civilization of his section of Texas, and in support
of his enthusiasm, he points to the excellent schools, the
churches, the generally high standards of living among
the people, and also the splendid material resources. It
was Parker county to which was awarded the prize for
the largest watermelon at the St. Louis Exposition, that
prize melon weighing one hundred and fourteen pounds.
Judge Stennis is well established in his profession and
enjoys the confidence of all the people in his community.
He has been too busy to take a vacation, and is always
a worker, a genial personality, a good talker on all sub-
jects, and has a career of large usefulness still ahead of

Theodcre F. TEirPLE. Twentv vears ago Judge
Temple was admitted to the Texas' baV. Nearly all his
professional career has been at AVeatherford iii Parker
county, which he is now serving in the office of county
judge. In the law, in public affairs, in education, and
in business Judge Temple has been a real factor in the
affairs of this county for a great many years. His
ability and attainments are of that type which makes
leaders of men, and it is iu a jiosition of leadership that
he has worked for a nuuilier of vcars.

Theodore F. Temple was born October 27. 1861. at
Greenevilie, Tennessee, a sou of William and Mary
Temple. In ancestry tlio i^|l|^e |Mi<sr-sr-. tin' ih-t iintivo
stock of the Irish, Scoti-li, .■iml I'ji^li-li. lli- \^■|Iile
a resident of Tennessee. M.a^ :i -Iiim- ImI i. - :ii;,i |.l:inter
before the war. and there .-n'e :i niiinlirr oi' t:uiiiiies of the
Tenii.les miil re);, led le.-nhli,s i,i state. William
Teni].le iiiiive.l fn Texas in issl. :,,id i-ontinued to farm
in this stale until Ins .lonili ,.u \ox,.,nber 28, 1882. His
widow siuM\ed until liMJi.. Of their eight children, four
were sons and four were daughters, and the eldest son is
Judge Temple.



Judge Temple lived in Tennessee, the first twenty years
of his life. The public schools were his introduction
to learning, and later he was a student in the Edwards
Academy, conducted by the United Brethren Church at
Greeneville. After coming to Texas he was a student in
the Granbury College, and graduated with the degree of
Bachelor of Science in 1SS9. School teaching was his
profession for some years, and up to 1892 he was identi-
fied with the Weatherford College. While teaching there
he took up the study of law and in May 1893 was ad-
mitted to the bar at Weatherford. Up to 1897 he was
engaged in practice at Weatherford, and then went out
to Toyah in western Texas, where he taught school for
one year. Returning to Weatherford, judge Temple
■ formed a partnership with the late Col. J. L. "L. MeCall,
which was only dissolved by the death of Col. McCall
in 1904. Since then the Judge has practiced alone, and
has enjoyed a large and distinctive patronage in both
counsel and eoiivt work.

He received the Democratic nomination in the primaries
of July. 191i, for the office of county judge and
in the following November his election was approved by
the people. The career of Judge Temple in politics has
experienced some changes. In 1894, during the Pop-
ulists movement, he supported that cause, and continued
an advocate of the doctrines as long as W. J. Bryan up-
held populistic views. However, in recent years, he has
been a stanch Democrat, seeking, voting and working
for the good of the party. In 1910 he was a delegate
to the Democratic State Convention at Galveston. In
1912 his support was actively given to the Wilson cause,
and the judge regards the present Wilson administra-
tion with much favor and satisfaction. Fraternally his
associations are with the Knights of Pythias, the Wood-
men of the World and others. He has each succeed-
ing year been a delegate to the annual convention of
Woodmen, since the organiyation of the order. He also
belongs to the Columbia Woodmen and to the F. M. C.
His public spirited citizenship is always manifest in
every cooperative undertaking for the advancement of
the interests of the town, and he has an active mem-
bership in the Chamber of Commerce of Weatherford.
In reliffion his interest is very closely identified with the
Methodist Episcopal church south, with which denomina-
tion he has been identified since he was ten years of age.
He is a member of the board of stewards of the district
conference, a teacher in the bible class for the past fifteen
years, and was a delegate to the genera! conference at
Asheville, Xorth Carolina, in 1910.

The first marriage of Judge Temple was on Christ-
mas Day of 1890 at Rockport, Texas, when Miss Mary
A. Davis became his wife. Her parents were Hugh W.
and Darthula K. Davis, of Weatherford. Her father,
who was a cotton buyer, died in March, 1897, having
survived his wife several years. Hugh W. Davis was a
Confederate soldier, serving in the Infantry branch, and
in one of the many battles in which it participated he
was captured. After being held in Federal prison for
a number of months, he managed to make his escape
and though fired upon finally reached the Confederate
lines and rejoined his company, continuing actively with
his command until the close of the war. Judge Temple
lost his first wife in September, 1897. There were two
sons: Theodore W., now in a business college at Weather-
ford, IS preparing to enter the Agricultural and Mechan-
ical College at Bryan and take a course in civil engineer-
ing. Hugh W. Temple, is a student in the public schools
of Weatherford. On December 14, 1899. Judge Temple
married Miss Sarah E. Estes. a daughter of Dr. J. H
Estes of Hood county. Dr. Estes and wife both died in
1901. The judge and wife have one child, a daughter,
Maggie Estes Tem.ple, aged seven.

George W. Hakdt. A Brownwood business man with
tiTie record of success, one who began in this city ten
: twelve years ago, with very modest capital," Mr.

Hardy has spent practically all his active career in Texas,
and has great faith in the state as a region of unlim-
ited natural resources, and a place where the industrious
and ambitious may be sure of the satisfactory rewards
of life.

George W. Hardy is a native of Kentucky, born in
Logan county, August 23, 1862. He was the oldest of
the ten children, seven of whom are now living, born to
John H. and Frances Hardy. The family is of English
and Irish stock, and the grandfather of Mr. Hardy on
his mother's side was a slave trader and planter in Ken-
tucky. There are several families of the name in Ken-
tucky and Virginia, and also in Mississippi. The father,
who was a painter by trade, left Kentucky in 1882, and
settled in Sherman, Texas, from which city he moved
in 1899 to Brownwood, where he and his wife still reside.
He has been in the painting business since moving to

George W. Hardy grew to manhood in the decade of
the Civil war and the reconstruction period following,
and this part of the country and the circumstances of
the home did not permit of liberal educational advan-
tages, although he made the best of his opportunities
and is a man of thorough practical skill and well in-
formed on all the vital problems of the day. When a
boy he learned the painting and paperhanging trade,
and followed it as a workman for about eighteen years.
In 1901 he engaged in the wallpaper and painting busi-
ness on a small capital, and in a very small shop. Suc-
cess has come to him in generous measures since that
time, and owing to his ability to fill contracts readily
and reliably he has never lacked an abundance of cus-
tom. In 1911 his business had increased so that he or-
ganized the Hardy & Denney Paint & Wallpaper Com-
pany with a capital stock of fifteen thousand dollars.
He has since been president of this company. The
storeroom of the company is one hundred and tweuty-
five by twenty-five feet, and it is stocked with a com-
plete line of all grades of paints and papers. Mr.
Hardy is also a member of the Brownwood Oil & Devel-
opment Company, his faith in the resources of this sec-
tion of Texas leading him to support every enterprise
that looks to better development of its resources.

For one term he has served as city alderman, and is
a loyal Democrat, and supporter of Democratic policies,
especially as exemplified by the present administration.
He has affiliation with the Masonic and Knights of
Pythias Order, and is Grand Representative of the lat-
ter order, and is also a member of the Benevolent and
Protective Order of Elks. Mr. Hardy is a member of
the Presbyterian church south. On April 17, 1883, he
married Miss Loca Bell Benton, of Sherman, Texas. Her
father was a stock man for many years, and continued
in that line until his death. Her mother, Amanda E.
Benton, died in 1912. Mr. and Mrs. Hardy became the
parents of five children, only one of whom is now living.
Miss Virginia Morton Hardy was born March 1, 1888,
graduated from the Daniel Baker College of Brown-
wood, and now lives with her parents.

Joseph Becton, M. D. In a profession that was sig-
nificantly dignified and honored by the character and
ministrations of his distinguished father. Dr. Becton
has himself gained marked priority and is one of the
representative physicians and surgeons of his native
state. Engaged in practice in the city of Greenville, he
is here conducting a well equipped private hospital and
is devoting his attention almost exclusively to the surgical
branch of his profession, He has achieved special suc-
cess and reputation in surgery, as well as gynecology,
and holds secure place in the esteem of his professional
confreres and in the confidence and high regard of the
general public in his field of activity. A scion of one of
the sterling and influential pioneer families of the Lone
Star state. Dr. Becton is a son of the late Dr. Edwin P.
Becton, to whom a specific memoir is dedicated on other
pages of this work, so that a repetition of the family




history and other jjersonal data is not demanded in the
sketch here presented.

Dr. Becton was born in the village of Kilgore, Gregg
county, Texas, on the 19th of October, ]8G5, and the
major part of his preliminary educational discipline
was acquired in the public schools of Sulphur Springs,
Hopkins county, to which place the family removed in
1874. Later he completed an academic course in Austin
College, at Sherman, this state, and in preparation for
his chosen profession he availed himself of the ad-
vantages of the s:iiin' III-: II ii: iMiis in which his honored
father had been :i - 1 ■ • : li i;irlier profession studies
were pursued in tin ■ iitraent of the University

of Louisville, at Lm i-xill ,, Kmtucky, and he completed
his technical course in the medical department of the
University of Tennessee, in the city of Nashville. In
this institution he was graduated as a member of the
class of 1890 and from the same he received his well
oarned degree of Doctor of Medicine. In August of the

Online LibraryFrancis White JohnsonA history of Texas and Texans (Volume 4) → online text (page 95 of 177)