Francis White Johnson.

A history of Texas and Texans (Volume 4) online

. (page 97 of 177)
Online LibraryFrancis White JohnsonA history of Texas and Texans (Volume 4) → online text (page 97 of 177)
Font size
QR-code for this ebook


the Revolutionary war came from France, one settling
in Kentucky, one in Florida, and one in A'irginia. The
Norwoods are of Irish descent, and were prominent citi-
zens of Georgia. Both parents lived to the age of fifty-
four years and died in Gonzalez county, Texas.

James H. Parramore was born in Early county,
Georgia, August 13, 18-tO. When he was two years old
his father moved to Mississippi, and the family lived
in that state until December, 1848, when they moved
from there to Gonzalez county, Texas, arriving there
the last of January, 1849. Mr. Parramore grew to
manhood in Gonzalez county, and what education he at-
tained was acquired in Gonzalez college.

Mr. Parramore is a veteran of the Civil war. He en-
listed September 4, 1861, in Company I, of Perry 's Texas
Rangers better known as the Eighth Texas Cavalry. This
regiment was attached to General Albert Sidney Johns-
ton 's army. Mr. Parramore went through the war and
was wounded at the Battle of Murtreesboro, Tennessee,
on January 1, 1863. A few months later he returned
to the regiment and was again wounded on July 30,
2864, so seriously that he was compelled to retire from
the service, holding at the time the rank of Fourth Cap-
tain of Company I. He did not get home until 1865,
in the month of July, and was crippled up for some
months after the war. He finally was able to work and
began as a farmer, an occupation which he continued
until 1875. He owned a farm of one hundred acres and
as it was his nature to be ambitious and energetic he
overworked in managing this estate, and was finally told
by his doctor that he could no longer live in that sec-
tion of Texas, and that he must go out into the west-
ern portion of the state in order to keep his health. For
a time he was engaged in the cattle business in Gon-
zalez county, and then in 1879 came out to Runnels
county. There was no trans-state railroad in existence
at the time and Runnels county was really on the
frontier. The only inhabitants of "the entire regions were
ranchers and traders and some of the few remaining
IjufPalo hunters. In Runnels county his beginning as a
'tuv man was on a very small scale, but he succeeded
.-iliiiost from the start and has long since been known
• IS one of the largest operators in west Texas, owning
nriny thousands of acres of ranch and grazing lands,
and every year being one of the largest shippers of
cattle and other live stock out of this state.

Mr. Parramore is now living largely retired from ac-



tive service in Abilene, where he built a beautiful resi-
dence some years since. It was in that home that his
beloved wife passed away on February 26, 1908. Before
her marriage she was Miss Mary Jane Goodson, and
their marriage occurred on October 28, 1866. Ten chil-
dren were born to their marriage, three of them now
being deceased and the others mentioned as follows:
Hugh C, a cattle man at Ballinger, Texas; Eunice, liv-
ing at home in Abilene; Doc Dillworth, who is a rancher
in Sterling county; John Norwood, a rancher and large
cattle raiser in King county; Sue, now Mrs. E. V.
Sellers, a rancher of King county ; Mary, wife of E.
W. Douthit, a cattle man of Big Springs, Texas; and
James H., Jr., who is a rancher in King county. The
sons Doe D. and John N. are twins. Mr. Parramore
has always been a Democratic voter, but has never
accepted any official honors. The family are all active
members of the Baptist church and he is affiliated with
the Masonic Order through the various degrees of the
York Rite and is a member of the Mystic Shrine.

W. A. Gault, M. D. One of the well known and promi-
nent physicians of this section of the state, and a resi-
dent of Electra, Texas, since 1912, where he has been
engaged in practice, is W. A. Gault, M. D., who has
been identified actively with the profession since 1898,
when he was graduated from the Barne's Medical Col-
lege of St. Louis. Dr. Gault is a son of Ralph T. and
Martha (King) Gault, and he was born in Austin, Texas,
on June 30, 1867.

Robert T. Gault was born in Tennessee, and it is
presumed that the mother's birth state is Texas. In
1852, when he was twelve years of age, the father came
to this state with his parents, who settled twelve miles
north of Austin, just west of Merrilltown, there estab-
lishing what became known as Gault Place, and settling
up some twelve thousand acres of land. There Robert
T. Gault was reared, for the most part, and when he
reached young manhood he took up active farming,
continuing there until 1882, when he moved to Coryell
county, Texas, and there died in 1906. He was born in
1840, and was thus sixty-six years of age when death
claimed him. Mr, Gault served in the Civil war as a
member ni (.. n. iil (, n. n. '- brigade, and he entered the
servirc 'liti'en years of age, in com-

mon "111 .1 ' i ' '■ heroic youth of the land.

The mutlh r ni :!,,• - i. , ,t ^li,',! in Texas, in 1868.

W. A. Gaidt was one of the two children born to his
parents, he being the eldest. As a bo.v he attended the
country schools of Coryell county, then entering Barne's
Medical College in St. Louis, from which he was duly
graduated with his well earned degree of Doctor of Medi-
cine in 1898. He began the active practice of his pro-
fession prior to that time, however, practicing under a
certificate in 1896 at McNeal, in Travis county, and
after he received his degree from Barne's, he practiced
in Killeen in Bell county until 1899. From 1899 imtil
1902 he practiced at Pidcoke in Coryell county, Texas.
In 1902 Dr. Gault took up his practice in Spindletop
Oil Fields in Beaumont, Texas, there remaining until
1903, after which he went to Batson, Texas, remaining
for one year. His next move took him to Hinible,
Texas, where he continued until 1907, and from then un-
til 1912 he was engaged in practice in Pidcoke, Texas.
In 1912 he located in Electra, and to his work here he
has brought a generous fund of experience and knowl-
edge, gleaned from his various activities in former
years in his profession, and from his well conducted
studies along lines of scientific research. Dr. Gault is
a post graduate of the Chicago Clinical School in 1901,
and he is a member of the Wichita County Medical
Association.

Dr. Gault is now serving as city physician, and is a
member of the Wichita County Medical Association, and
the State Board Medical Association, in both of which
he is rendering a valuable service to his community. He



I



TEXAS AND TEXANS



1893



is a Democrat in his political faith, and is fraternally
connected with the Independent Order of Odd Fellows,
the Knights of Pythias, the Woodmen of the World and
the Modern Woodmen of America.

In November, 189S, Dr. Gault was married to Miss
Lizzie Eaneier, of Temple, Texas, a daughter of Mr. and
Mrs. Ed Eaneier, now both deceased, and two children
have been born to them: Miss Highland Gault, born
in 1900, now attending school at St. Mary's Immaculate
Academy in Wichita Falls, and Robert Edwin Gault,
born in 1902 in Hillsboro, Texas, now attending school
in the southern part of the state.

The brief period of their residence here has been amply
sufficient to establish the family firmly in the esteem and
confidence of the community, and they are accorded the
sincere regard of a wide circle of the best people of the
place.

Alex Kahn Is an active factor in the commercial
life of Wichita Falls, Texas. He has been in business
here as a merchant for more than two decades and is
substantially identified in many ways with the city.

Mr. Kahn 's career in Texas covers nearly the whole
of his life. He was born in Washington, D. C, July 1,
1866, and when he was nine years old his parents moved
to this state. Sol Kahn, his father, a native of Ger-
many, came to America when a boy. He was a suc-
cessful merchant of Washington, D. C., for a number
of years and later of Dallas, Texas. He is still living,
now being retired. During the Civil war he served as a
Confederate soldier in a Tennessee regiment and was
once wounded. His services lasted throughout the war.
His wife, Anna (Graf) Kahn, also a native of Germany,
died at Dallas, Texas, in July, 1910, at the age of
sixty-six years. She was a resident of America from her
early girlhood, having come to this country with her
parents, and she bore a family of ten children, Alex
being the second born.

Up to the age of thirteen years Alex Kahn attended
public school at Fort Worth, and when not in school was
on the range as a cowboy. From 1879 to 1884 he was
employed in construction work on the Texas & Pacific
railroad. During 1885 and the following two years he
was at Mobeetie, near Fort Elliott, in the Panhandle
of Texas, and from 1888 to 1890 he was employed in
mercantile lines as a clerk in the store of E. M. Kahn
& Co. of Dallas. These varied experiences brought him
in contact with different classes of people and afforded
opportunity for the study of human nature, and as a
clerk he laid the foundation for his business career as
the head of a prosperous concern of no small propor-
tions. Mr. Kahn came to Wichita Falls in 1890, and
the next year, with a cash capital of only $300, started
his present business. Today he has the largest retail
ladies' ready-to-wear and gents' clothing and haber-
dashing establishment at Wichita Falls. His store has
a floor space of 60 by 75 feet, situated at the corner of
Eighth and Indiana streets, one of the most desirable
locations in the city, and he carries a stock valued at
approximately fifty thousand dollars and employs four-
teen salespeople and an efficient office corps. The busi-
ness is known as the Alex Kahn. In addition to this
splendid establishment, Mr. Kahn has large real estate
holdings, among which is included his beautiful resi-
dence at 1500 Austin street. Mr. Kahn was one of the
organizers of the Farmer's State Bank & Trust Co.,
of which he was for a number of years a director, and
which was absorbed by the First State Bank & Trust
Co.

While Mr. Kahn has never taken any active part in
politics, as an ofiice seeker or holder, he has always
maintained an interest and pride in civic affairs, and on
election day has cast his franchise with the Democratic
party. He has fraternal identity with the Independent
Order of Odd Fellows, the Benevolent and Protective
Order of Elks, and the Masonic Order.



December 27, 1892, at Weatherford, Texas, Alex Kahn
and Miss Minnie E. Couble, a native of Indiana and a
daughter of H. F. Couble, were united in marriage, and
to them have been given four children; Blanche, Thelma,
Darrel A. and Anna Euth.



William J. Cunningham
firm of Cunningham & So hi
of law talent in Abilein'.
servedly high reputation il
lawyer and in public life.
islature he established
broadminded ability



Senior member of the law

I'll, the strongest combination

Air. I iiiiningham has a de-

ilir.iii:;liniit Texas both as a

I'.y his service in the leg-

eputation for aggressive and

lawmaker, and is probably



equally well known as one of the fluent and gracefu
speakers of the state bar, whether in the course of reg-
ular practice or on the political platform.

William J. Cunningham was born in Baxter county,
Arkansas, October 8, 1870, the eighth in a family of fif-
teen children born to A. W. and Nancy C. (Magee)
Cunningham. The parents, who now are living retired
and enjoying the comforts of life at Bowie in Mon-
tague county came to Texas prior to the Civil war. The
father enlisted in the Confederate army, and went through
the war from the beginning to the end. He was a farmer
by occupation, spent many years of residence in Kauf-
man county, subsequently moving to Montague county.
Seven of the large family of children are now living,
and are prospered and honored citizens in various portions
of this state.

Mr. Cunningham attained his first schooling in the pub-
lie schools of Montague county and at Bowie took up
the study of law. When he was twenty-two years of
age, in 1892, he was admitted to the bar, and his first
experience as a practicing lawyer was at Naconia. In
his practice there he showed himself the master of legal
principles, and soon sought a larger field for his pro-
fession at Waco. He acquired in the course of a few
years a large and representative clientele in that city and
vicinity, and continued to practice in Waco until 1899
in which year he located in Abilene as one of the com-
ing cities of west Texas.

As an able lawyer, he has naturally been drawn into
public affairs, and his first important position was an
appointment on October 10, 1903, as district attorney
for the Forty-Second Judicial district. He served until
the expiration of the term in January, 1907, and in
the preceding November was elected to fill the regular
term of two years during 1907-08. Before completing
this elective term he resigned in order to accept and fill
out the unexpired term of State Senator A. 8. Hawkins.
His experience in the state senate brought him promi-
nently before the people of Texas, as one of the keenest
and best informed legislators of the state capital. Since
leaving the state senate he has refused further official
honors. Mr. Cunningham was chosen a member of Judge
Poindexter's state executive conunittees during his cam-
paign for governor. He has also taken a prominent part
in the making of local option laws, and in 1904 stumped
the state on behalf of state-wide prohibition. He is a
member of the Abilene Bar Association, and was elected
a school trustee of Abilene in 1911. Fraternally he is
affiliated with the Independent Order of Odd Fellows
and the Knights of Pythias and he and his wife have
membership and are regular worshipers in the Missionary
Baptist church.

Mr. Cunningham owns his present residence in Abilene,
and has a nice family. He was married June 12, 1894,
to Miss Harriet Elizabeth Jeffries, who was born in
Brownsville, Tenn., a daughter of George and Mary E.
Jeffries. Their three children are William J., Jr., aged
eight years; Florence, aged eleven; and Myrtle M., aged
thirteen.

Dr. Sam Corley Ball. A family which has been
identified with Texas since the year of its independence
from Mexico and the establishment of the Eepublic, is



1894



TEXAS AND TEXANS



represented by Dr. Sam Corley Ball, one of the prom-
inent physicians of Northeast Texas and a resident of
New Boston. His grandfather was the founder of the
family in this state and the doctor's father was one of
the m'ost noted of the early physicians in Bowie county.

Dr. Sam Corley Ball was born at Old Boston, in Bowie
countT, October" 10, 1865. His grandfather was Hart-
well Ball, who emigrated from Alabama into Texas in
1S38, the year of the establishment of the Eepublic,
and settled in what is now Harrison county, near
Marshall. He was among the earliest to locate in this
section of Texas, for at that date nearly all of the
settlement was on the lower regions of the Brazos and
Colorado rivers.

The parents of Dr. Ball were Dr. Isaac M. and Lou
(Corley) Ball. The late doctor, Isaac M. Ball, whose
death occurred at his home in New Boston in 1903, was
one of the most prominent physicians and citizens of
Bowie county. He was born at Florence, Alabama, in
1829, being "seven years of age at the time the family
moved to Texas. Then pioneering began at an early
age, for in 1846 he moved to what is now Bowie county,
where he enlisted for service in the Mexican war, along
with six others from this county. The company in which
they enlisted got no further than the Mexican border,
and saw little or no active service in that period of
hostilities. Soon after his return from this military
expedition he went east and studied medicine at Jef-
ferson Medical College in Philadelphia, where he was
graduated M. D. in 1851. From that time until the
close of his long and useful life he was a resident of
Bowie county, spending many years at what is known as
Old Boston and'when the olil settlement was abandoned,
moving to the present flourishing town of New Boston.
On returning from Philadelphia he was one of the few
college trained physicians in this part of the state, and



experience wr



his natural talent and



ae character, he soon acquired a large practice and
became one of the most eminent physicians of North
East Texas. A complete account of his long and suc-
cessful career would be a history of one of finest typfcs
of the old time country doctors. The public servant of
a large patronage, who was on duty night and day and
against the most adverse conditions, over difficult roads
and in all kinds of weather riding to bring his skill
and comfort to his patients. Practically all of his active
practice was carried on in the days before the introduc-
tion of the telephone and before the automobile became
so generally serviceable as it has to the modern doctor.
To the hundreds of citizens of knew him, he was both a
physician and a friend, and his- accounts never showed
the almost unnumbered acts of kindness which he dis-
tributed without stint throughout the large community
into which his practice extended. He finally returned
fro7n active practice in 1901. At one time he had been
engaged in the land business in partnership with the
late Judge B. T. Estes, and together they owned twenty
thousand acres of land in Bowie county. The late Dr.
Ball's wife, who died in 1901, was a daughter of Rev.
Sam. Corley. a noted pioneer Cumberland Presbyterian
minister and missionary, and who came from Tennessee
in the early thirties as a missionary to the Indians, and
had a long and self-sacrificing service in Arkansas,
Indian Territory and Texas. He was chaplain of his
regiment.

Sam Corley Ball received his early education at Trinity
University at Tehuacana, and later at the State Univer-
sity in Austin. He was a student in the university when
its sessions were held in the temporary Capitol building.
His medical studies were pursued in the Kentucky School
of Medicine, whence is now the University of Louisvillte,
from which he received his medical degree with the class
of 1887. Since then for a period of a quarter of a
century he has been in active practice and has enjoyed
much of the esteem and success which characterired his
father's long career in the same vicinity.



The doctor is the owner of a fine farm a mile
and a half from New Boston. He is a member of the
County and State Medical Societies, and is president
of the Northeast Texas Medical Society. Fraternally
he is a Knight Templar Mason.

Dr. Ball married Aliss Celeste Harris, who was born
in Louisiana. Their three children are Louise, Harris
and Samuel.

Eev. Thornton E. Samp.son, D. D., LL. D. Another
of the men of Austin who are prominently and creditably
identified with Austin Presbyterian Theological Seminary
is Bev. Thornton E. Sampson, D. D., LL. D., professor
of Church History and Polity since 1905, and president
of the seminary prior to the election of Dr. Vinson, who
now holds that oflice, and a sketch of whose life and
work inmiediately precedes this brief review.

Dr. Sampson was born at Hampden Sidney, Prince Ed-
ward county, Virginia, on October 9, 1852, a son of Eev.
Francis S. Sampson, D. D., and his wife, Caroline Susan
(Dudley) Sampson. The family on both sides traces
its ancestry directly back to the royal blood of England
and France, and the Baldwins, Dudleys, Byrds and
Sampsons have long been established on American soil,
representatives having established themselves here in
Colonial days, and having been prominently identified
with the country since that time.

Dr. Thornton E. Sampson was graduated from Hamp-
den Sidney College in Virginia in the year 1871, after
which he studied at the University of Virginia and also
at Edinburgh, Scotland, and Leipsic, Germany. He has
his D. D. and LL. D. degrees from Davidson College,
North Carolina.

Dr. Sampson has traveled a great deal, much of his
travels being in the interests of educational and church
work. He was in missionary work among the Greeks in
Athens and Thessalonica from 1878 to 1892, and did
excellent work in the advancement of the Christian reli-
gion during that time. After his return to America
he was engaged as secretary of foreign missions for the
Presbyterian Synod of North Carolina from 1892 to 1894,
and from 1S94 to 1897 he was president of the assembly's
home and school at Fredericksburg, Virginia. He was
president of Austin College at Sherman, Texas, from
1897 to 1900, and in the latter year became the first
president of Austin Presbyterian Theological Seminary,
which office he resigned on account of ill health in 1905.
In the latter year he was succeeded in the presidency by
Dr. Vinson, and he has since held the chair of Church
History and Polity.

Dr. 'Sampson is chairman of the Association of Ee-
ligious Teachers of the University of Texas, and when
he was president of Austin College at Sherman he was
instrumental in bringing about its affiliation with the
University of Texas, that being the first denominational
school in the State to become so afiiliated. an example
later followed by every organized denomination in Texas.
When Dr. Sampson first became president of the Austin
College at Sherman it was the only institution which
the Presbyterian Synod of Texas controlled. He was
made chairman of the committee on church and Chris-
tian education, and in that position he brought about
the unification of the educational work of the synod, after
helping to organize several new institutions. Today he
is still" devoting his attention to the matter of getting
the university to allow some further religious mstruc-
tion, with due credits for such courses, a work that will
be of the greatest benefit to the furtherance of religious
knowledge. In 1914 he was made general agent for the
Conference for Education in Texas.

Dr. Sampson is deserving of high praise for the
accomplishments of his life thus far, for he is distinctly
self-made in the matter of his education. His father
died when he was eighteen months of age, and to his
mother he owes much for the early training he received
from her, and for the Christian principles she inculcated



TEXAS AND TEXANS



1895



when he was at the pliant and impressionable age — the
same having had their undying influence upon his life,
causing him to enter church work at a very early age.
Dr. Sampson is an inveterate pedestrian, and his
travels on toot have carried him into the remotest sec-
tions of the globe. He has walked through England,
Ireland, Scotland, Wales, Germany, Greece, Bulgaria,
Palestine and extensively in numerous other countries.
He crossed the Alps sixteen times on foot from Switzer-
land to Italy, and crossed the Pindus Mountains many
times on foot. Three of his children were born in
Athens, Greece, and one of them at Thessalouica.

The marriage of Dr. Sampson was solemnized in Mem-
phis, Tennessee, on April 30, 1878, when Miss Ella S.
Eoyster became his wife. She is a descendant of the
Watkins and Venable families, who were among the first
settlers of Virginia. The children of Dr. and Mrs.
Sampson are Mrs. Janet Parsons, of Toronto. Canada;
Mrs. Mary Drake, the wife of Eev. E. T. Drake, pastor
of the Luteher Memorial Presbyterian Church of Orange,
Texas; Frank W. Sampson, an engineer for the Southern
Traction Company, of Dallas, Texas, and Helen L.
Sampson.

William H. Sewell. Junior member of the law firm
of Cunningham & Sewell at Abilene, William H. Sewell
is a Tennesseean, who came to Texas when a young man
just out of college, studied law in this state, and since
his admission to the bar about ten years ago has ac-
quired a successful practice and is one of the leading
members of the bar at Abilene.

William H. Sewell was born in Wilson county, Ten-
nessee, August 11, 1877, a son of Eev. Luther E. and
Josie (Barry) Sewell, both of whom were born in
Tennessee, and are now deceased. The father devoted
all his life to the ministry of the church. William H.
Sewell as a boy attended the public schools of his native
state and finished his education in Harding College at
Nashville. Leaving college when twenty-one years of
age he came to Texas and located in Mitchell county,
and read law in the ofiice of W. K. Homan at Colorado.
Following his admission to the bar in 1904 he practiced
a short time in Colorado and then moved to Abilene,
where he had an office to himself, and built up a good
clientage. In February, 1909, he joined forces with
Mr. W. J. Cunningham.

Mr. Sewell is a Democrat in politics, a member of the



Online LibraryFrancis White JohnsonA history of Texas and Texans (Volume 4) → online text (page 97 of 177)