Francis White.

Birmingham. History and general directory of the borough of Birmingham, with the remainder of the parish of Aston ... being part of a general history and directory of the county of Warwick .. online

. (page 5 of 82)
Online LibraryFrancis WhiteBirmingham. History and general directory of the borough of Birmingham, with the remainder of the parish of Aston ... being part of a general history and directory of the county of Warwick .. → online text (page 5 of 82)
Font size
QR-code for this ebook


and when 400, to three guineas. In 1794, there were 437 subscribers, at ten shillings
per annum. In 1798, that when the number of subscribers amounted to 500, the price
of admission should be four guineas. In the year 1805, the annual subscription was
raised to fifteen shillings; in 1812, to seventeen and sixpence, and the price of admis-
sion to ten pounds. In the year 1820, the subscription was raised to one pound, and in
1835, to twenty-five shillings. In 1844, the Medical Library was admitted to join this,
and in 1848, the subscription was raised to thirty shillings annually. The Library con-
tains 1,000 folio volvmies, 2,300 quarto, 14,000 octavo, 4,700 duodecimo, and 4,000
volumes on medicine, making a total of 26,000 volumes. Mr. William Alldrett,
Librarian.

The Philosophical Society, Cannon Street, which had been established some
years, in 1810 extended then- plan, and erected a commodious Theatre for the delivery
of Lectures, by their own members, and occasionally by eminent Professors in the various
branches of science. They have a Museum, containing a fine collection of minerals
and fossils ; an extentive philosophical apparatus; a library and reading room. The
Institution consists of 219 Proprietors and Subscribers. Of these 9 are permanent
Tmstees, 25 are Fellows, and 4 are Associates, Tinder the management of a committee
of 16 members. Gentlemen subscribing £\ lis. 6d. annually, are entitled to a Irans-
ferahle ticket to the lectures, and to personal admission to the news room, museiuu,
and library of the institution. Ladies subscribing £\ Is. annually, are entitled to a
ticket to the lectm"es, (transferable among ladies only.) and admission to the museum
and library. Subscribers as above are entitled to tickets to the lectures, transferable
among the members of their respective households, at 15s. each. Subscribers of ^'1. Is.
annually are entitled to a non-transferable ticket to the lectures, and to personal
admission to the musemn and lil^rary. Minors, being children of non-residents sub-
scribing 15s. are entitled to personal admission to lectures, museum, and library. The
amount of income and expenditure of the institution exceeds ^1000 per annum. The
Right Hon. Lord Wrottesley, F.R.A.S., president; Mr. James Russell, treasurer.

At the Philosophical Institution, one of Osier's self-registering anemometers and rain
guages is in operation, by means of which a constant record is obtained of the direction
and force of the wind, and quantity of rain which falls. A sheet of paper, having the re-
quisite lines, etc. is placed daily in the instniment, and is moved on regularly by means of
a clock, at the rate of about half an inch per hour ; while three pencils, worked by the in-
strument, are employed in constantly registering ; one the direction of the wind, another
its force, and the third the quantity of rain that fall? ; recording at the same moment, the



20 HISTORY OF BIRMIKGUAM.

})recisc time at wliidi any clianijes occur. For more particulars of the coustmction of
tlii:< iiistruinont. mid tlie advanccmeut of science, we must refer our readers to the reports
]>ul)li.slied by the British Association.

RovAL iJip.MiNOHAM and Midland Counties Art Union, IIH, New Street.
Established conforma])le to the provisions of the Act of Parliament for legalizing Art
Unions. Its object is to aid in extending the love of the Fine Arts throughout England,
and to give encouragement to artists beyond that afforded by the patronage of indi-
viduals ; but more especially with a view to the attainment of that high condition of
provincial art, which is essential to the perfection of EuglLsh manufactures. Patrons.
Her Majesty the Queen; Ills Royal Highness Prince Albert, K. G., tfec. President.
The Ejirl of Shrewsbury. Secretary, Capt. Henry Van Bearle.

Society of Artists, Athaeneum, Temple Row, was established in 1842, solely for
the encouragement of the Fine Arts. An annual exhibition of modern paintings is
h»'ld, which is kept open for the space of four months. President, Sir Mai-tin Arthur
Shee, P. R. A. Secretary, Mr. Henry Harris.

Society of Arts and School of Design, 69, New Street, in connection with
the Government School of Design, Somerset House, London. This structTU-e has a fine
fr«mt, in the Grecian style of architectm-e, consisting of a lofty and bold portico, sup-
ported by fluted columns, with rich ca})itals, supporting a triangular pediment. The
large exhibition room is of a circular form, 52 feet in diameter, and adjoining are
smaller ones for the reception of casts and marbles, d'C. now used for modelling, draw-
ing from the antique, roniinently marked in the general reirularity and practical
working of the institution." At a meeting of the governors, held on the illith of August,
lH4l), the council conchided their report by stating, that 'Minder the blessing «)f God. now
the institution was ccMuplete in all its parts; they could not refrain from referring to
one, who may be virtually c



Online LibraryFrancis WhiteBirmingham. History and general directory of the borough of Birmingham, with the remainder of the parish of Aston ... being part of a general history and directory of the county of Warwick .. → online text (page 5 of 82)