Franklin T Oldt.

History of Dubuque County, Iowa; being a general survey of Dubuque County history, including a history of the city of Dubuque and special account of districts throughout the county, from the earliest settlement to the present time (Volume 1) online

. (page 56 of 56)
Online LibraryFranklin T OldtHistory of Dubuque County, Iowa; being a general survey of Dubuque County history, including a history of the city of Dubuque and special account of districts throughout the county, from the earliest settlement to the present time (Volume 1) → online text (page 56 of 56)
Font size
QR-code for this ebook


han and Donovan families. Still later came the Duffys, Farrells,
Dunns, O'Briens and Coxes.

The old Cox schoolhouse stood where Bernard now is. Of this
township Dennis O'Brien, John M. Lenehan, J. J. Dunn and T. F.
Phillips distinguished themselves.

The first iron bridge in the county was built over Lytle's creek,
this township, in 1873. It cost $1,242. In 1863 Mr. Cox sold in
Dubuque twenty-two hogs that averaged over 400 pounds each. He
received the highest price then paid — $4.35. J. D. Dickinson, in
1845, bought of the government the land on which the town of
Bernard now stands.

In June, 1858, Thomas Donaghue was killed in Prairie town-
ship by James Gibiions. The latter was arrested and admitted to
bail in the sum of $10,000. Donaghue was drunk and threatened
Gibbons, who retaliated by kicking the former several times vio-
lently, fracturing his skull. Drs. William Watson and B. McCluer
made the post-mortem examination.

Patrick McArdle was murdered here in February, 1864. His wife
and son were arrested and tried; the son was acquitted but the wife
was found guilty and sentenced to the penitentiary for life, but was
later pardoned.



HISTORY OP DUBUQUE COUNTY 491

The Litton farm in Prairie Creek township had been purchased
and was owned in i860 by Hon. B. N. Huntington. At first it
contained but 200 acres, but was added to by Mr. Huntington until
it consisted of 1,020 acres at this date. Ten and a half miles of
board fence stood on the farm. Mr. L. S. Wood occupied the farm
as a tenant of Mr. Huntington, wlio lived at Rome, New York.
He had 170 acres in spring grain. It was well stocked with high-
grade animals.

Bernard is a small town on the narrow gauge railroad in this
township. Its origin is due to the railroad. The place was platted
in i8g6. The next year it became incorporated, twenty votes
being polled for incorporation and none against it. The first officers
were : Matt Donovan, mayor ; Joseph Carrigg, recorder ; William
McCarthy, assessor; P. M. Fortune, treasurer; Michael Slattery,
P. H. Russell, William McCullough, Roger Driscoll, William
Russell and Alexander Moriarity, trustees. It now has a
population of about 150: has a hotel, three general stores, hardware
store, saloon, blacksmith shop, physicians and a few other business
concerns.

Liberty Tazcnship (township 90 north, range 2 west) was early
a part of the Upper Catfish election precinct, and in 1838 voters
were required to go to the house of John Regan to cast their votes.
In 1840 it was constituted a part of Hewitt's precinct. As first
created in 1843, Liberty embraced the present Liberty and parts of
the present Concord, Iowa and New Wine townships. In February,
1840, it was given its present boundaries.

Among the early settlers of Liberty were Peter Pletsch, Matthew
McCullough, Peter Duster, Nicholas Colbert, John Linck, John
Heidersheid and Michael Wagner.

Luxemberg is also called Flea Hill and the postoffice Allison.
Mat. Enders conducted a store there early. Adjacent are many of
the most valuable farms of the county. Nick Gotto began to sell
goods there about 1870. From 1865 to 1875 about forty-eight
families sold out and left this township, the Germans taking their
farms. Now the population is almost wholly German. There are
now at Luxemberg a store, creamery, smithy, hotel and shops.

Concord Toivnship (township 90 north, range i west) was early
settled. In 1834 it was attached to the Camp election precinct; in
1838 to Regan election precinct and in 1840 to the Hewitt election
precinct. In 1843 it was created and named Concord for the first
time and then embraced parts of Jefiferson, ConcOrd, Iowa and
Center. In 1849 it was given its present limits.

Among the first settlers were Thomas Cook, John H. Floyd, N.
Montgomery, Joseph Glew, Garland W. Gehon, D. R. Anderson,
N. Van Meter, W. J. Anderson, William Rooney, John Sweeney,
Richard Nichols, John McQuillen, the Henrys, Cooneys and John
Floyd. The oldest postmaster in Iowa resigned in 1869; he was



492 HISTORY OF DUBUQUE COUNTY

appointed at Pin Oak in 1841. As late as i860 small herds of deer
were to be seen in this township.

Holy Cross is also known as Pin Oak and Georgetown. The
Catholic church is in the form of a Roman cross and hence the
name. Jack Floyd was postmaster there very early. There has
usually been a store or two there and a few mechanics. The place
was incorporated in 1898; twenty-five persons signed the petition,
twenty-one ballots were cast, all in favor of incorporation. John
Cripps was elected mayor: J. P. Sweeney, clerk: Michael Clemens,
treasurer; William Koeller, W. Arensdorf, Frank Noerges, P. J.
Maiers, H. Foxen and Charles Brady, trustees.

The little place called Plum Creek made great pretentions to
future greatness in early years. William Plumbe founded tiiere the
paper town of Plumbeola, buying the land in 1836, but not doing
anything to establish the village until about 1856, when he had it
platted and advertised far and wide lots for sale. Prospective buy-
ers were offered shares in the place somewhat after the fashion of
a community. Cottage Hill has two or more churches, several
stores and mechanics and a postoffice.

Dodge Tozvnship (township 88 north, range 2 west) was early a
part of Cascade precinct ; voters first went to the house of Jacob
Hamilton to cast their votes. In 1840 it became a part of White
Water precinct. In 1843 ''^ became portions of Iowa and Cascade.
In 1849 it was a part of Taylor: in January, 1850, it was given its
present limits and named Dodge for the first time. Settlers came in
slowly. Among the first to arrive were Jonas Callahan, Peter
Mellinger, Lucius Kibby, Henry Mounsey, Harrison Post, Thomas
Riggs, Oliver Funseii and Patrick Flinn. Kibby was an old man
when he came here : he claimed to have seen Washington and to
have witnessed, when a boy, the battle of Bunker Hill.

Rockville, in Sejjteniber, 1857, had four mercantile houses, of
which D. E. Sawyer & Company conducted one. There was a black-
smith shop, a wagonmaker, a large church, a grist mill and a saw
mill. There was excellent water power there. The village was
located six miles directly south of Dyersville.

Worthington was established in 1857 by a surveying party and a
village was laid out on the farm of David Lovelace. Amos Worth-
ington, for whom the place was named, erected a large store build-
ing and opened with a large general stock. Mr. Piersall also built
and conducted a store. About i860 William H. Moore bought out
Worthington and became postmaster. Other business men have
been L. Tisdale, John Toussaint, J. P. Cousin, W. Lattner, William
Lehman, George Welter, John Permantier, B. R. Taylor, C. Nacels,
W. W. Cox, C. R. Anderson, M. Kraus, Joseph Dunkle, Peter
Baum and many others. The place is now a wide-awake, up-to-date
little village. It was incorporated in 1893, thirty-five persons sign-



HISTORY OF DUBUQUE COUNTY 493

ing the petition. Of the forty-two votes cast at the election, thirty-
two were in favor of corporation and ten against it.

lotva TozcHship (township 89 north, range i west) was attached
to Camp's precinct in 1834, to John Regan's precinct in 1838 and
to Hewitt's precinct in 1840. In 1843 it was created and named,
but then embraced parts of tlie present townships of Iowa, Center,
Taylor and Vernon. In 1849 't was made to embrace the present
Iowa and New Wine townships, but in January, 1850, was given
its present limits.

Among the early settlers were John O'Connell, Timothy Murray,
William Hogarty, Larry Duggan, Michael Ferring, Oliver Funston,
Robert Gamble, Theophilus Crawford, Edward Flinn, I. H. Kisk-
patrick, John Bauttson, P. B. Hogan, Robert Wilson, A. G. Brown-
ing, D. R. Anderson, James Hogan, William Emerson, H. Gillespie,
Robert, James and David Gowan, Mr. Solly, Henry Decamp, B. F.
Johnson, the Stichlers, Hugh Stott, John Garland, Thomas Salmon,
James, Edward, John and Maurice Kirby, the Wedeleines, W. J.
Anderson, David Anderson, John Anderson, James and Joseph
McGee, James Bankston, A. T. Bankston, Willis Thompson (the
elder Bankstons and Thompsons served in the Blackhawk war),
P. M. Byerly, Isaac and Miles Simpson, Enoch Jewett and Richard
Roach. Bankston Prairie took its name from the Bankston family.

Willis Thompson, in January, 183 1, crossed the Mississippi at
Dubuque on the ice, and remained at the mines one week; he then
went east, but in 1836 returned and located on Bankston's prairie,
Iowa township. He had served in the War of 1812 and in the
Blackhawk war, participating" in the battle of Bad Axe, where he
killed an Indian and took his blanket. Edward Flinn offered his
place for sale in 1838. He was located on the Little Maquoketa,
near Simon Clark's saw mill.

Bankston was founded at an early day by Colonel Bankston.
He seems to have spelled his name as above, but other members left
out the "t." The place has usually had a store and one or more
shops. Tivoli is another small place. At Squire's Mills is a school
and a Methodist church. This place was founded about 1855 by
John Bruner. Metcalf and Squires were there early. Abel Bots-
ford was an early resident. The water power was the attraction.
Bankston now has a general store, one or two mechanics, a saw
mill, etc.

Dubuque Township (township 89 north, range 2 east) was settled
as soon as Dubuque city was settled. It was originally a part of
Julien township, which first embraced parts of the present Dubuque,
Center, Vernon and Table Mound townships, but was cut down in
1849, 3^5 stated elsewhere herein.

Luther Poole, George Pote, Amster Pote, John La Place and Mr.
Pettier were here in 1832.



494 HISTORY OF DUBUQUE COUNTY

Jesse Yount settled at Center Grove in the spring of 1833 and
there his eldest son Allen was born the same year. Jesse had three
sons in the Union army. He died in 1865. Michael Dugan was
thrown from his horse while hunting cattle about a mile from Du-
buque in 1840 and was instantly killed.

In 1833, as soon as the law allowed, there came to Dubuque
W. S. Anderson, H. B. Phillips, H. Smead, L. H. Langworthy,
Lemuel Cook, Fred Dixon, John Dougherty. H. Rebman, Mathias
Ham, J. M. McCabe, John Paul, S. Lemon, H. Gilbert, Pleasant
Ewing, William McDowell, J. L. Langworthy, R. Lamont, Thomas
Humes, P. O'Mara, J. O'Regan, W. H. Smith, W. B. Whitesides,
E. M. Whitesides, M. Dickerson, J. R. Ewing, J. McPheters, J.
O'Mara, H. L. Dodge, John Campbell, J. Curran, J. Whittaker,
Antoine Loire, Dr. R. S. Lewis, Thomas Gray, J. B. Jordan, J.
Gilmore, H. Egan, E. M. Urn, Owen Reilly, Jesse Yount, A. R.
Whitesides, E. M. Urn. S. Streetcr. J. Hillis, B. Kilbourne, A. and
J. Hurd, J. Woolev, R. Murphv, T. Streetcr, M. Dickerson and
H. L. Dodge.

Asbury is a discontinued postoffice and has a store. Center Grove
is a little hamlet with a few business houses.

The present Dubuque township was, previous to 1878, a part of
Julien township. Its settlement was coincident with that of the city
of Dubuque. It has two conspicuous groves at the date of the first
settlement — Wilson's, later Stewart's, and still later Union park,
and Center. From the latter the little village takes its name. The
first settlement was almost wholly by miners. A. Balderson was
one of the first; he located at Center Grove Spring in 1833 and
was at once joined by half a dozen other miners. They explored
the old Indian diggings in that vicinity. The natives had worked on
the inclines and in a few instances the miners found ladders up
which the squaws had brought the ore. George Shannon came
early. The township is famous for its mines and caves.

Jefferson Tozvnsliip (township 90, range i east, and part of
township 91 north, range i east) was settled at an early date. The
settlers first went to Durango and Peru to poll their votes. In 1840
it was made a part of Durango precinct and so remained until 1843,
when it was created and named Jefferson, but at first embraced all
of the present Peru and parts of Jefiferson, Center and Dubuque
townships. No other changes were made until 1849, when it was
given its present limits.

Among the first settlers were Adam Sherrill, M. W. Power, S. M.
Barrington, John Parker, Clement Cannon, Albert Baker. C. J.
Barber, William Hale, Isaac Sherill, Garry White, Milton C. Mc-
Craney and others. In 1856 a large steam grist and saw mill was
put in operation at Plumbeola. Rickardsville is a smart little place,
with stores, school, mechanics, etc. Palltown is a discontinued post-



HISTORY OF DUBUQUE COUNTY 495

office. Oak Grove creamery is in this township. Waupeton, Sherill
and Balltown are small villages.

Tabic Mound Township (township 88 north, range 2 east) was
first a part of the election precinct of Dubuque, but in 1838 was
assigned to Catfish precinct, with polling place at the house of John
Paul. The opening of the military road in 1839 assisted in the
settlement here. In September, 1840, it was made a part of Fer-
guson precinct. In February, 1843, '^^ became a part of Julien and
Washington townships (see elsewhere) and so remained until Feb-
ruary, 1849, when it was given its present boundaries.

Among the first settlers of Table Mound township were James
Laughton, John Cunningham, James Fanning, John Sullivan,
Daniel Duggan and John O'Regan. Cunningham and O'Regan had
an early smelting furnace of the rudest kind. The mines here were
very valuable. O'Regan came to the township in 1832 — had first
come here in 1830 — he was thus one of the first settlers of the
county. Chauncey Swan was here very early, engaged in mining.

At Rockdale very early were Richard and Robert Waller, Richard
Bonson, David Hutton, William Hutton and James Pratt. The
Huttons built a grist mill here in 1834 — the first in Iowa. It was
known by both names — Rockdale mills and Dubuque mills. Thomas
Lewis was connected with it in 1838, and it later passed to Pratt,
Manson, Watters and Bell. It did an enormous business in the
fifties. In 1876, during a flood, Rockdale was washed away and
many lives were lost. In 1878 several buildings were destroyed by
fire. Table Mound is often called Mt. St. Bernard. Foley's grove
was a well known place. James Brennan was killed there by light-
ning in 1863 ; he had been plowing and ran under a tree for shelter.
The first old Catfish bridge was in this township. Rev. Daniel
O'Regan died here in 1869; he was educated in St. Raphael's Acad-
emy, of wich Dennis A. Mahony was principal at one time, and
possessed unusual powers of mind. In i860 a Mr. Walter, an old
Tyrolese hunter, shot two deer on the military road in this town-
ship. They were sold in the market at Dubuque. The Hessian
fly appeared here in 1862. Key West and Bally Clough are small
places, usually with one or two business men, religious organizations
and schools. Among later residents of this township were William
Corcoran, Patrick Aylward, William Powers, Dennis Donovan,
James Regan, Maurice Noonan, Lawrence Powers and Edward
Fitzpatrick.

Mosalem Township (township 88 north, range 3 east, and part of
township 88 north, range 4 east) in early times was attached to Du-
buque for election purposes. In 1840 it was a part of Ferguson
precinct, and in 1843 't was first created and named and then em-
braced parts of Table Mound, Mosalem and all of Washington. In
1849 it was cut down to its present limits.



496 HISTORY OF DUBUQUE COUNTY

Among the first settlers were Thomas R. Brasher, J. J. Johnson,
Jacob Dreibelbis, John A. Waher, Louis J. Dreibelbis, E. S. Morey,
Francis A. Hill, Martin Dreibelbis, Oscar Morey, Thomas Berry,
John H. Pattillo, Allen S. Heacock, Richard Whetter, Harlow
Glass, Salmon Richards, Isaac Havens, Austin H. Smith, the
Beckets, Barrys, Gilliams, Murrays, Cooks, Dolans, Gaspers,
and Longuevilles. Dubuque's grave is in this township. St. Cath-
erine's church and the cemetery and school are well known improve-
ments. King's postoffice and Massy station were established a few
years ago.






Online LibraryFranklin T OldtHistory of Dubuque County, Iowa; being a general survey of Dubuque County history, including a history of the city of Dubuque and special account of districts throughout the county, from the earliest settlement to the present time (Volume 1) → online text (page 56 of 56)