Fred. (Frederick) Carlisle.

Chronography of notable events in the history of the Northwest territory and Wayne County online

. (page 21 of 51)
Online LibraryFred. (Frederick) CarlisleChronography of notable events in the history of the Northwest territory and Wayne County → online text (page 21 of 51)
Font size
QR-code for this ebook


axiom and rule practiced by him, which governed his actions in private,
public and business life.



— 193 —

Orin S. Gulley was born in the town of Victor, State of New
York, July 25, 1823. He received his primary education in the district
school, and in 1835, came with his parents to Michigan. They settled
and made a home in the township of Dearborn, formerly the township
of Pekin, where he completed his education, and where he married
Miss Martha E. Ladd, October 26, 1847. She was a daughter of
Timothy Ladd, one of the early pioneers of Michigan, and a sister of
Thomas M. Ladd, who as late as 1858 was a journalist well known in
Wayne and Washtenaw counties.

Mr. Gulley learned the printer's trade with Messrs. Wells & Ladd,
who published the Detroit Courier in 1841. After working for
them sometime he went to New York, and was employed on the New
York Tribune with Horace Greeley. In 1844 he returned to
Detroit and engaged in the publication of the Michigan Christian
Herald, and was connected therewith fourteen years ; meanwhile in
partnership with William Smythe he published the Detroit Evening
Express. This enterprise proved a failure and he sustained some
losses. In 1845, he was the State agent for The National Protestant,
a paper published by the Rev. C. Sperry.

In 1859, Mr. Gulley started an office on State street, between
Griswold street and Washington avenue. He soon found the building
too small, and in i860 he removed to a building specially erected for him
on Larned, between Bates and Woodward avenue, and where he
established the well-known printing house of O. S. Gulley & Company.

In 1867 he purchased and improved the property on Larned
street, between Woodward avenue and Bates street, to which
he removed in 1868, and which is at present occupied by the company he
organized, viz. : O. S. Gulley, Bornman & Company, and which is at
present composed of John Bornman and Nathaniel Hubbell, general
partners, and Mrs. O . S. Gulley, as special. The imprint of this com-
pany will be found on the title page of this compilation, as the printers.

Mr. Gulley was one of the organizers of the Lafayette avenue
Baptist church, established June 20, i860, and was closely identified
with its growth from that time until his death. He was for many years
the superintendent of its Sabbath school. His death occurred June 20,
1878, and he was deeply lamented, not only by his immediate family,
but by his church, a large circle of personal friends, and the business
community generally. It is said he had hosts of friends and no ene-
mies. He was an exceedingly modest man, somewhat retiring in
manner, but always cheerful and pleasant. In politics he was a Repub-
lican, and while never disguising, did not obtrude his opinions upon
others. He never sought or held a public office. He was public
spirited and earnest in his efforts to establish institutions calculated to
benefit humanity, and elevate society, and in this direction was a liberal
giver of time and money.



— 194 —

WILLIAM PENFIELD.

William Penfield, born in the town of Penfield, N. Y., November
24, 1819, came to Michigan with his parents in 1833, for a time assisted
his father on the farm during the summer and attended school in
winter, and thus obtained a good knowledge of mathematics, thereby
fitting him for the avocation he still follows, that of a millwright, and
in which he has the reputation of excellence. He has been
prominently connected with the Masonic societies and is held in high
esteem by all who know him.



OLIVER NEWBERRY.

Oliver Newberry was born in East Windom, Connecticut, on the
17th of November, 1787. He was the son of Amasa Newberry, who
with his family removed to Sangerfield, Oneida county. New York,
where he purchased a farm. Oliver was at that time twenty-one, and
accompanying his father, he for a short time assisted his father on the
farm, but becoming restless and desiring to do something for himself,
left New York and up to 181 2 was engaged in the pursuit of a back-
woodsman in Portage county, Ohio. War having been declared
with Great Britain, he entered the army as substitute for a Mr. Lyman
Day. Mr. Newberry was appointed sergeant of his company and
marched with it to Sackett's Harbor, which it did not reach in time to
participate in that engagement. Mr. Newberr}^ served out the term
for which he had enlisted, and was honorably discharged. He then,
with a small stock of goods, went to Buffalo and opened a general
retail store. He continued the business at Buffalo until 1820, when he
came to Detroit, and established himself in trade. Mr. Newberry
became interested in the vessel business in 1826, and gradually added
to it, and in 1832 had control of a fleet of eight sail vessels, which
ranked among the best crafts on the lakes. He built the steamer
Michigan this year, which was the largest steamer on the lakes. From
this time he began to build docks and warehouses, and continued to
increase the number of his vessels, until he became the leading com-
mercial spirit of the northwest. He initiated the organization of the
Detroit and St. Joseph railroad company.

That portion of the city known as the Cass farm was conveyed by
the government, April 20, 1813, to John W. Macomb and his two
brothers, David and William B. Macomb. David and William sold
their two-thirds to 'General Cass September 9th, 1816, and subse-
quently, in October, 1834, ^^ acquired the remaining one-third. In
1835, a company was formed, called the " Cass Company," its object



— 195 —

being to improve the river front by building docks and warehouses, and
in furtherance of the enterprise, in June, 1835, it purchased from
General Cass the river front of his farm. This company consisted of
DeGarmo Jones, Oliver Newberry, E. P. Hastings, Major Henry
Whiting, Charles C. Trowbridge, Elon Farnsworth, Henry S. Cole,
E. A. Brush and Augustus S. Porter. They paid $125,000, expended
$100,000, and in June, 1840, mortgaged the property to General Cass,
and soon after, owing to financial disaster, the whole property and im-
provements reverted back to General Cass. Mr. Newberry purchased
lots Nos. I and 2, upon which he erected a large warehouse and docks,
which for a long time was the center of the shipping business of the
city, and was the favorite haunt of Mr. Newberry. August 13th, 1855,
it was purchased by Messrs. J. L. Hurd & Co. for $68,000.

Mr. G. L. Whitney relates the following to illustrate some of the
characteristics of Mr. Newberry: "In 1847 he bought the engine
of the steamer Milwaukee for his steamer Nile, for which he
gave his notes in payment. They fell into the hands of George L.
Smith & Co., known as the ' Wisconsin Fire and Marine Insurance
Co.' Some of these notes were not paid at maturity and the steamer
Nile was attached at Milwaukee. The Nile was bonded and the notes
paid, but this act of George L. Smith & Co. so exasperated Mr. New-
burry that he determined to have vengeance. About this time the
Milwaukee bankers were running the Michigan Insurance Co. for
specie. This was regarded by H. H. Brown, cashier, as a declaration
of war, and Brown and Newberry had their mutual causes for retalia-
tion upon the Wisconsin money king. The bills of the Milwaukee
institution were in general circulation throughout the lake country and
the west, and with the facilities at hand it was not a difficult matter to
collect them in large sums. It was arranged that Brown should furnish
the funds and Newberry do the collecting without charge. The result
was that at every trip of the Nile, or of the Illinois, there was a run
made upon the Wisconsin Bank, specie being demanded in sums of
$10,000, $20,000, $50,000, and on one occasion $71,000. The practice
was followed during the whole season. On one occasion Mr. New-
berry himself was a passenger in the Nile, and proceeding to the
bank presented a package of $10,000, laconically demanding specie.
The package was closely scrutinized and the specie counted out, but
the privilege of boxes was denied. Mr. Newberry was prepared, and
sent to his steamer for sundry bags made by John Bloom for this
special purpose, and having received his specie, was about to depart,
when the banker in a bland manner said : ' Mr. Newberry, when will your
steamer Illinois be here? We want to send some specie to New York.'
' To-morrow,' said Mr. Newberry, ' and we will take your specie at
reasonable rates.' ' All right,' said the banker. In the afternoon he



— 196 —

presented another $10,000 package and the money was counted. The
next morning he made his appearance with a more bulky package,
saying, 'The Illinois will be here this afternoon ; have your specie ready;'
when the banker replied, ' We have concluded not to send any specie
to New York.' Soon after a truce was made, Mr. Newberry having
gratified his revenge."

Mr. Whitney details many more interesting anecdotes, which we
have not space to quote.

Mr. Newberry was a self-reliant business man, seldom consulting
others. He was not fond of society and rarely mingled with the
world, except for business transactions. He possessed indomitable
energy and boldness, of which all his operations partook. Detroit
is greatly indebted to Mr. Newberry for the benefits its commerce and
growth derived from the numerous enterprises originated and carried
on by him. Fifteen years prior to his death his business became some-
what circumscribed owing to competition, and his prestige as "x\dmiral
of the Lakes" seemed to have departed.

Mr. Newberry died at his home on Fort Street West, now occu-
pied by H. H. Walker, July 30, 1861.



JOHN OWEN.



Hon. John Owen was born March 20, 1809, on the river Don,
near Toronto, Canada. Came to Detroit in 1818 with his mother,
crossing Lake Erie in the steamer Walk-in-the-Water. He attended
school under the patronage of Lemuel Shattuck, a very worthy man,
who, unfortunately for Mr. Owen, was compelled on account of ill
health to return to Concord, Massachusetts, in 182 1, and Mr. Owen
was obliged to give up school, but through Mr. Shattuck's recom-
mendation obtained a situation in the drug store of Dr. Chapin. He
continued as clerk until the autumn of 1829, when he became a partner,
and remained in this position until the death of Dr. Chapin, in
December, 1838. He conducted the business alone until March, 1842,
at which time he admitted Theodore H. Hinchman, as a partner under
the firm name of J. Owen & Co. The wholesale business of the firm
continued to increase in importance until 1853. Mr. Owen then sold
his interests and retired from trade, but not from business ; for,
through his desire to aid his friends, he had become interested with
Gordon Campbell in establishing the Detroit Dry Dock, and with
Capt. Arthur Edwards, in vessel interests, and meanwhile had been a
director and president of the Michigan Insurance Company's Bank, and
president of the Detroit and Cleveland Steam Navigation Company,
beside being associated in other financial enterprises.



— 197 —

Mr. Owen has been a member of the city council. In 1841, was
appointed Regent of the University by Governor, or Acting Governor,
J. W. Gordon, under " Woodbridge and Reform," and although politi-
cally opposed, was re-appointed by Governor Barry in 1843. He was
elected State Treasurer in i860, and re-elected in 1862-4.

His connection with the Methodist church dates from 1823, from
which period he has been a modest but liberal contributor, and has ever
been regarded as one of the chief pillars of that denomination. His
time and money in the giving, has not been confined to his own church,
but all Christian and benevolent enterprises have been the recipients of
his kind generosity.



REV. GABRIEL RICHARD.

Among the distinguished divines connected with the early history
of Michigan, none acquired more reputation for being able to accom-
modate himself to the circumstances surrounding him than the Very
Rev. Gabriel Richard. He was born at Saintes, France, October 15,
1764. It is said his mother was a kinswoman of the eloquent Bossuet.
Father Richard was admitted to the priesthood in 1791, and shortly
after, on coming to America, reached Baltimore, Maryland, June 24,
1792, from there he was first sent to Kaskaskia, Illinois, and in 1798, on
the invitation of Bishop Carroll, came to Detroit as the assistant of
Father Levadoux. At that time the jurisdiction of this diocese
extended over the Northwest Territory, and the communicants num-
bered not more than five or six thousand. During his second year
he visited Michilmackinac, twenty miles from Point St. Ignatius,
where the Jesuit fathers had over one hundred years before established
a mission.

Father Richard was the first to establish a printing press at
Detroit, in 1809. He published the first paper in the form of a magazine
entitled "Essai du Michigain." He subsequently abandoned the publi-
cation, and his press was utilized for printing secular as well as church
periodicals. Father Richard served one term as delegate to Congress
in 1823. He rendered good service as the representative of the Terri-
tory, and was instrumental in securing several enactments, which
hastened the settlement and growth of the western country.

Father Richard was a very talented, scholarly man, very devoted
to his church and its interests, but alive to all other influences tending
to promote and establish good order and government, and when the
Methodist Episcopals established a church, he was free to aid and
assist in providing facilities.

He died in Detroit in 1832 of cholera, which disease was con-
tracted by his devoted exposure in seeking the relief of others.



— 198 —

HON. J. WILKIE MOORE.

Hon. J. Wilkie Moore, President of the Wayne County Pioneer
and Historical Society, is the son of Aaron Moore and Mary Wilkie,
and grandson of General Moore, of Massachusetts, and was born at
Geneva, N. Y., on the 13th day of May, 1814. His father died in 181 7,
and his mother a few years after married Peter N. Hard, who for many
years was principal of the Geneva Academy. Mr. Moore's stepfather
and mother removed to a new farm in the township of Mt. Morris,
Livingston county, N. Y., which Mr. Moore, although quite young,
helped to clear and work, until the age of sixteen, when he went to
learn the silversmith's trade ; but at the end of two years he influenced
his stepfather to sell out and emigrate to the territory of Michigan.
After a five days' sail on the steamer William Penn, they reached
Detroit, November ist, 1833. Mr. Moore not finding employment in
Detroit went on foot to Ann Arbor, where he remained a short time,
then went to Monroe, Michigan, and engaged as clerk in the "American
House," kept by S. S. Parker, and afterwards was employed by the late
James McBride in his wholesale provision and grocery store. As soon
as he had earned fifty dollars, he invested in forty acres of Government
land, which he soon sold for one hundred dollars, and thus began his
land speculations, since which he has made buying and selling of land
the principal business of his life. He was engaged one year as con-
tractor on the Wabash and Erie Canal, being associated with a Mr.
Sherman. Differences having arisen between the States of Ohio and
Michigan in regard to the boundary line of each, the militia of the
respective States were called out to settle it, and Mr. Moore was called
to the front in defence of the rights claimed by Michigan, and
became an active party to the exchange of the tract of land ten
miles wide of lowland for what is now known as the Upper Peninsula
of Michigan, and which to-day possesses more intrinsic value than the
entire half of the State of Ohio. During what is known as the Patriot
War, Mr. Moore was employed in a confidential and secret capacity by
the general government, for which he received a soldier's bounty of
one hundred and sixty acres of land. In 1843 he engaged in the trade
of dry goods, boots and shoes, and hardware, at No. 171 Jefferson
avenue, Detroit. He also carried on a general real estate business;
afterwards was Deputy Collector and Inspector of Customs at the port
of Detroit. In 1859 ^^ ^^^^^ appointed United States Consul at Windsor,
Ontario, and was the first officer to raise the Consular flag of the
United States on the Western borders of what is now known as
Ontario. This was at the commencement of our late Civil War. The
town of Windsor was at that time full of refugees from the South, who
were determined to tear down the American flag; notwithstanding Mr.
Moore kept his flag waving, and the Canadian authorities saw the



— 199 —

wisdom of protecting it from insult. For several years Mr. Moore has
been corresponding secretary of the Q. D. C. S., and at their recent
meeting was created a life peer, an honor confered upon but two others
in the United States. He has been a member of the Board of Education
for many years, and was once elected its Secretary. Was a Deputy-
Collector under the late Charles G. Hammond, and also under N. G.
Isbell, and Special Agent in the Custom Department under General
Henry A. Morrow. He is President of the Wayne County Pioneer
Society, also Vice-President of the State Pioneer and Historical Society.
When quite a young man he took an active part in the Methodist
Episcopal church, was exhorter and leader of the class to which the
late United States Judge Ross Wilkins belonged; the Rev. J. A.
Baughman at the time being pastor. In later years Mr. Moore has
become very liberal in his religious ideas, not believing so much in
creeds as in living a good life : " and doing unto others as we would
have them do unto us." Mr. Moore has great and kindly feelings
toward all animals, especially his pets, a horse, a dog, and canary
birds. Mr. Moore is indefatigable in his efforts to maintain an interest
in the preservation of information and reminiscences of the early
history of the city of Detroit and State of Michigan, devoting the most
of his time to that object. Mr. Moore was married to Miss Margaret
Berthelet, daughter of the late Henry Berthelet, at Detroit, in the year
1843. His wife died February i8th, 1875. "^^^^^y had but two sons,
one died when quite young; his other son, Hon. Joseph B. Moore, has
been a member of the City Council, Chairman of the Poor Commis-
sioners, has been secretary and treasurer of the Detroit Carbon
Company, and is at present cashier of the Peninsular Savings Bank.

Few men are better known than J. Wilkie Moore throughout
Detroit or Michigan, and on account of his ever cheerful and cordial
disposition, it may well be said all are his friends.

The following is furnished as an evidence of the intense interest
which Mr. Moore has always manifested in old pioneers, that their
names and memory may be preserved, he having called upon each
personally, and obtained the information here given:

John E. Winchell, 93 years old ; Elijah Cross, 88 ; James
W. Knaggs, 89; A. B. Weber, 87; Colonel E. Winder, 87;
Abel R. Torrey, 87; Captain Francis Martin, 81; Russell Robison, 86;
Allan Robison, 82 ; Benjamin Farnsworth, 85; Thomas Armstrong, 85;
Mrs. David Thompson, 88; Amos Chaffee, 88; Captain Joseph L.
Heath, 88; Hamilton Morrison, 84; Alanson Sheley, 82; Francis
Reilly, 84 ; John Owen, 81; James F. Joy, 80; William Hall, 88;
Francis McWilliams, 92; Horace Hallock, 82; C. H. Buhl, 78; Fredk.
Buhl, 88. "Thursday, April 17, 1890, called on Solomon Davis and
Mrs. Polly Carlisle, both in their 99th year."



200 —



MYRON OTIS.



Myron Otis, the founder of the township of Greenfield, was born
in Schoharie, Otsego count}^, in the State of New York. He landed in
Detroit in 1826, and after spending some time in looking around, and
accepting an appointment, and serving as what would be termed the
office of deputy sheriff for a year, occupied a tract of land previously
entered by his father, Asa H. Otis, whose patent was signed by Presi-
dent Jackson, and established the township. He was a delegate to the
Constitutional Convention of 1836 and member of the legislature of
1850. The only settler in what is the township of Greenfield prior to
Mr. Otis was an Englishman, named John Strong.



CHARLES FERDINAND CONRAD.

Charles Ferdinand Conrad is a great-great-grandson of Michael
Conrad, born at Grass Weiss (Big Meadows), on the Rhine, near the line
of Holland. He was Secretary of War of the Netherlands during the
thirty years' Religious war between the Prussians and Germans, and was
driven from the Netherlands in the contest between the Arminians
and Calvinists in the year 1773. He fled first to England and from
thence took ship for America, landing at Boston the latter part of that
year. He remained in Boston but a short time, removing from thence
to Pennsylvania, and settled in Middletown, Dauphin county, where he
died in September, 1791. His children were John Jacob, John
Nicholas, John Michael, (who is the great-grandfather of the subject
of this sketch); Mary Elizabeth, who married a StoU; Eva, who
married John Adams Sawyer, and Mary Margaret, who married
John Diszler. John Michael Conrad, the great-grandfather of the
subject of this sketch, was born on the Rhine February 28, 1728. He
died in 1787, at Middletown, leaving his wife, Christiana, and nine
children — Charles, who removed to Pittsburg, Pa., where he resided as
late as 1789; Jonathan, John, Henry, Emanuel, Ephriam, Joshua, (the
grandfather of the subject of this sketch, who married Eva Godfrey);
Magdalena, who died in 1799; Christiana, who married Michael
Gunman. Joshua Conrad, the grandfather of the subject of this
sketch, was born March loth, 1775, at Middletown, Dauphin County,
Pa. He died at Waterloo, New York, October 19th, 1828, leaving a
widow whose maiden name was Eva Rodfahn. She was born at
Chocolay, York county. Pa., March 6th, 1781, and died at the house
of her son, John Conrad, in Trenton, Wayne county, Michigan, Feb-
ruary i6th, 1867. The children of Joshua Conrad and Eva Conrad,
nee Rodfahn, were: An infant daughter, who died in infancy at
Middletown, Pa.; John, bom 1799, died August 29th, 1853, at Trenton,



— 201 —

Mich.; Christian E., born January 14th, 1802; Christiana, born Jan-
uary loth, 1804, at Newtown, N. Y., she died at Hamburgh, Livingston
county, Mich., August 13th, 1884; Charles Ferdinand, born at New-
town, N. Y., September 15th, 1808, died in Wayne county, Mich., Jan-
uary 28, 1882; Sarah, born at Newtown, N. Y., September 19th, 1810;
Vincent Mathews, bom September 12th, 181 2, at Newton, N. Y.;
Frederick Schott, born January 25th, 1818, in Fayette, N. Y.; Alex-
ander Sill, July 31st, 1820, at Waterloo, N. Y. ; Elizabeth B., born
May 3d, 1823, in Waterloo, N. Y., died April loth, 1877, at Wyan-
dotte, Mich.

John Conrad, the father of the subject of this sketch, was born in
Middletown, Dauphin county. Pa., October 25th, 1799. ^^ came to
Michigan in 1820, and was one of the organizers of the township of
Brownstown. On Tuesday, the i6th of November, 1824, he was
married to Huldah Hazzard by John Sturgis, Justice of the Peace, at Flat
Rock, Wayne county, Mich. She was a native of Vermont, born at
Bennington February loth, 1799. She died at Flat Rock, Mich., May
loth, 1837. They had seven children, Christiana, born October 8th,
1826, killed by a log rolling upon her from a building May, 1836;
Robert Hazzard, born February 24th, 1828, died February 7th, 1864;
Charles Ferdinand, February 24, 1828; Emeline Hopkins, August 30,
1830, died at Centerville, St. Jo county, Mich., March 24, 1853; John,
Jr., born October 30th, 1831, died August 21st, 1856, from congestion
of the brain; James, born June 21, 1S34; David, born May 6th, 1836.

John Conrad married the second time. Miss Mary Barnhart,
December 22, 1837. Their children were, Amelia, born October
5th, 1838; Huldah, born March 2 2d, 1840; EHas, born April 24th,
1842; Arthur, born May 24, 1845, and Ephraim, born June nth, 1850.

Charles Ferdinand Conrad, the third son of John Conrad and
Huldah (Hazzard) Conrad, was born in the town of Brownstown,
Wayne county, Mich., February 24, 1828. From a lad he, in many
ways, depended upon himself, though his parents did all their circum-
stances permitted to secure for him the advantages of an education
such as the country afforded; but being alive to the fact that a large
family were somewhat dependent upon his father, he early
sought means to make the paternal burdens lighter. After acquir-
ing a fair business education and a knowledge of books and men,
at the age of twenty-three, feeling that he was warranted in so doing,



Online LibraryFred. (Frederick) CarlisleChronography of notable events in the history of the Northwest territory and Wayne County → online text (page 21 of 51)