Fred. (Frederick) Carlisle.

Chronography of notable events in the history of the Northwest territory and Wayne County online

. (page 24 of 51)
Online LibraryFred. (Frederick) CarlisleChronography of notable events in the history of the Northwest territory and Wayne County → online text (page 24 of 51)
Font size
QR-code for this ebook


Glasgow, Scotland.

As far back as the family can be traced they were more inclined
to intellectual than business pursuits, being liberally educated. William,
the father of the subject of this sketch, had prior to the Revolutionary
War, accumulated quite a property at New Brunswick and Elizabeth,
N. J., which the Tory element, then dominant, forced him to abandon,
he having made himself obnoxious to the Tories by accepting the com-
mand of a company of Independents. On his return from the army, after
the battle of Monmouth, he found nothing but desolate grounds, where
once had stood mills, houses, barns, and other evidences of his thrift.
He married Elizabeth Anderson in 1789. She was a native of New
Jersey, born at Reading, Somerset county, December 2, 1748, and was
a lineal descendant of Major Anderson, who was killed at Culloden.
Two sons were born to them, Lewis, the subject of our sketch, and
William, both of whom were educated as physicians. William, the
father, died at Minaville, Montgomery county, N. Y., October 24, 1808,
and Elizabeth, his wife, November 10, 1835. Their remains lie in the
cemetery of that village.

Lewis Carlisle, after a preparatory course, became a student of
Professor Jacob Delamarter, who was subsequently President of Berk-
shire Medical College, and the first President of Cleveland College,
Ohio. On completing his studies, he entered the New York College
of Physicians and Surgeons, graduating therefrom in 181 1. He was
appointed surgeon of the New York Hospital in 1812. The celebrated
Dr. Valentine Mott, was his contemporary and associate. In 1813 ^^
was appointed by DeWitt Clinton, Surgeon, with the rank of Colonel
of the New York troops, on the Northern frontier. At the close of
the war he became a partner of Dr. Delamarter, and practiced in Mont-
gomery county, near Johnstown, for a number of years. The appoint-
ment of Dr. Delamarter to the Presidency of the Berkshire Medical
College, dissolved the partnership, and he removed and established
himself in Monmouth county, N. J., also resuming his relations with the
New York Hospital, visiting it weekly.

In 1832 he made an extended trip to the Northwest Territory,
visiting Detroit and what is now Chicago, then known as Fort Dear-
born. On his return from this tour, he removed to Lyons, Wayne
county, N. Y., where he practiced his profession for three years, when
he came to Detroit and subsequently located with his family in the
township of Plymouth, Wayne county, where he resided until his
death.



— 222 —

His only brother, William, was a prominent practitioner in Jeffer-
son county, as well as member of the New York Legislature, and a
colleague of Horatio Seymour, for several terms. They were warm
personal friends during life. William died at Elgin, Illinois, March 4,
1868.

January 6, 181 1, Dr. Carlisle married Polly Croul, at Throopsville,
N. Y. She was a sister of the father of Jerome Croul, whose sketch
will be found elsewhere, together with a history of her family. She
was born September 11, 1792. The grandfather of Mrs. Polly (Croul)
Carlisle, was the godson of Frederick the Great, his father being an
officer in the Prussian army, and his mother the daughter of an
attache of the English embassy at the court of Berlin.

Polly Carlisle, nee Croul, is still living and resides in Detroit. Dr.
Lewis Carlisle died January 25, 1858, leaving his wife Polly and seven
children living, viz.: Mrs. Catharine Thayer, Mrs. Elizabeth Mead,
William L. and Fred. Carlisle of Detroit ; Lewis, of Newark N. J.,
Mrs. Hannah Plumstead, and Mrs. Antoinette Gibson, all born in the
order named.

Fred. Carlisle, the second son of the doctor, was educated for a
physician, but never practiced. He is well known in Detroit and
throughout the State, and somewhat throughout the United States,
from his being Grand Secretary of the Union League of America dur-
ing the late civil war, and as Supervising Agent of the U. S. Treasury
Department, also of the P. O. Department from 1864 to 1869. His
record, officially, is found in the history of the Treasury and P. O.
Departments, in the early history of the Republican party. At the
dictation of the late Senator Jacob M. Howard, he drew the resolutions
presented by and adopted at the Jackson Convention of 1854, ^"<^ "ow
has in his possession the original manuscript, embracing the platform of
the Republican party. It is said there is not a town or hamlet in
Michigan where he is not personally known to some of its residents.
The political history of Washtenaw, Jackson, Ingham, Livingston,
Monroe, St. Clair, Macomb, Oakland and Wayne, are replete with the
mention of his acts in the early history of the Republican party. The
following from the pen of E. W. Meddaugh, demonstrates his charac-
teristics : " A more efficient and faithful man never held place under
any government, as the records of the U. S. Treasury Department will
show. " '•• ^ " And the records of the U. S. Courts in the North-
ern and Northwestern States furnish evidence as to his official history.

July 10, 1853, he married Miss Charlotte M. Ames, a native of
Vermont, who wa^ born in the town of Georgia, on the shore of Lake
Champlain, April 12, 1835. They have two sons and four daughters,
all living.

Don M. Henderson.



— 223 —

GEORGE W. PATTISON.

Few among the present residents of Detroit are more familiar
with its history and its old settlers than George W. Pattison. His
knowledge of the men and women who have lived, moved and been
identified and prominent in Michigan for the past fifty years is not con-
fined to Detroit, but extends throughout the State. His recollections
and criticisms of the statesmen, politicians and business men, their
character, peculiarities and contributions toward the growth and
development of the city and State, furnish the evidence that he has
been a close and intelligent observer of men and the current events of
their times.

George W. Pattison was born at Farmington, Ontario county,
New York, May 5th, 18 17. His father, Sunderland Pattison, and his
mother, Gardner, were Quakers and natives of Rhode Island. His
grandfather, Sunderland Pattison, was one of the fighting Quakers,
and served as a captain in the War of the Revolution. The Gardners,
however, were non-combatants at that period, and known as the
" Royal Gardner family of Rhode Island." The father of George W.
was prominent in the early history of western New York, and was one
of the contractors for the Erie canal, advancing the money upon the
State bonds for the construction of a portion of it.

In 1834 he came to Michigan, locating in Calhoun county, where
he built mills and improved large tracts of land, and where he died in
1839. The sons surviving were, Sunderland Gardner Pattison, of
Marengo, George W., the subject of this sketch, and William G., of
Kalamazoo.

The early boyhood of George W. Pattison was spent on his
father's farm and at the academy of his native town. When but ten
years of age he entered the printing office of Marshal & Dean, who pub-
lished a weekly paper called The Album. The printer's apprentice of
those days had more than the mechanical part to learn. He was com-
pelled to study art, literature and other sciences, so that at the close of
his apprenticeship he was prepared for college. He entered Union
College, from which he graduated in the classical course in 1834, ^"^
in the spring of that year published " Lectures on Geography." This
proved successful and encouraged him to go to Buffalo and establish the
Western Star, the first daily paper pubhshed in that city. Buffalo then
had a population of about 5,000. Col. Daniel Munger was his associate
in the conduct of the paper, while James Faxton was the nominal pub-
lisher. There was no telegraph at that day and it took seventy-two
hours to get news from New York City. Soon after starting this
publication the cholera appeared, and when the paper had reached
its seventy-eighth number. Colonel Munger and himself concluded to



— 224 —

come to Detroit, but found the cholera worse than at Buffalo. Never-
theless, they went to work on the Free Press, then a weekly paper
published by Sheldon McKnight. They remained for some months
in Detroit, when becoming infected with a desire to see more of the
country, Colonel M. and himself took a tramp west and south, work-
ing in most of the cities east of the Mississippi until 1836, when they
returned to Michigan and started the Calhoun County Patriot at
Marshall. In the fall of this year he left Munger and went to Niagara
Falls and started the Niagara Falls Journal for Benjamin Rathbun,
who was at that time a prominent man and owned nearly all the land
about Niagara Falls, and proposed to utilize the water power at that
point, and make millions out of the real estate. It appears, however,
that Rathbun was somewhat of a visionary, and unfortunately used the
signature of his friends, without their knowledge, on his notes, and was
arrested for forgery. The material for the paper, it appears, had been
purchased by Rathbun on credit from N. Lyman, a type founder in
Buffalo. George had got out but one number of the paper when
Rathbun was arrested, and knowing that Lyman was the real owner,
and being a friend of his, he immediately packed up all the matter in
the forms and shipped it to Lyman at Buffalo. Rathbun was con-
victed and served a term in the State's prison, and subsequently kept a
hotel in New York, where he died. Meanwhile a great boom had
started in the west. Towns and cities were springing up, and among
them Grand Rapids, Michigan. Lucius Lyon, Charles Carroll, and
others had organized the Kent County Land Company (William
Richmond was agent at Grand Rapids), and feeling the want of a news-
paper the company purchased from Lyman the material of the Niagara
Falls Journal and shipped it by the Steamer Don Quixot, but
the wrecking of the steamer on Thunder Bay compelled its transfer
to a sail vessel, and the press and office equipments did not reach Grand
Haven until late in the season. The delay, together with other vex-
ations, inclined the Kent company to offer to dispose of the office, and
George, although a minor, gave his notes for $4,100 for the entire
material, and after overcoming many obstacles in getting it to Grand
Rapids, he was able to establish the office and issue the first number of
the Grand River Times, April i8th, 1837. The publication of the
first copy of this paper was a great event, and all the prominent citi-
zens were at the office to see it come off the new Washington hand
press. Louis Campau subscribed for 500 copies, paying him in
advance $1,000. The Kent company took 500 and paid in advance.
A large number of other parties took from ten to twenty-five copies,
paying in advance.. Under these favorable auspices, Mr. Pattison
made this a successful venture.

In the spring of 1838 Mr, Pattison sold the Grand River Times
to C. I. Walker (now Judge Charles I. Walker, of Detroit), and after



— 225 —

spending a few months in Texas, he returned to Michigan, married
Miss Mary A. Wright in August, 1838. She was the daughter of
Benjamin Wright, an old settler, a millwright by trade, and built the
first mill at Grandville for George Kitcham.

Mr. Pattison then became a Quaker preacher, but after remaining
in the ministry for several years, the old love for politics returned, and
in 1844 he took charge of the Hillsdale Gazette for Meade & Swegles,
and conducted the paper through the campaign of Polk to the
satisfaction of its owners and the Democratic party.

In 1846 he came to Detroit and, in connection with Colonel Daniel
Munger, started the Daily Commercial Bulletin in the interest of the
Free Soil party and as a competitor of the Free Press. Although
Free Soil in principle, the paper advocated the election of General Cass,
supporting him strongly during the canvass.

In 1848, the Capital having been located at Lansing, Messrs.
Pattison and Munger established there the State Journal, running it in
connection with the Detroit Commercial Bulletin. They were also
elected State printers. They then, after running the Bulletin two
years, sold out, and transferring their subscription list to the Detroit Free
Press, and finding the State printing unprofitable, Mr. Pattison returned
to Detroit and engaged in the book and job printing, his office soon
after being destroyed by fire. He, in 1852, started the Michigan
Temperance organ, and through its influence succeeded in getting the
prohibitory law passed by the legislature. This he shortly sold to good
advantage and established the Fireman's Journal, which he also made
a pecuniary success, and in 1861 was appointed sutler for the Thir-
teenth Michigan Infantry. On his return in 1863 he started the True
Democrat, The Workingman's Friend, an Agricultural, and one or two
other journals, and in 1864 he engaged in the old book business which
he has made profitable and still continues.

In 1869 he purchased the Orchard Hill farm, which has proved,
under his management, a valuable investment.

As before stated, Mr. Pattison married Mary A. Wright. She died
in 1869. They had one son, who died at the age of sixteen, and five
daughters, and all (save one) are married. In 1872 he married his first
wife's sister, Julia, who was the widow of Judge David Sturgis, of
Clinton county. She died July 23d, 1889.

Mr. Pattison's only unmarried daughter. Miss Julia, has almost
entire charge of the book store. She is well posted on books of every
sort, particularly the odd, rare and curious.



— 226 —

STEPHEN MACK.

Inasmuch as this work is simply designed to commemorate, with a
view to preserve, the record of those men who laid the foundation upon
which has been erected the metropolis of Michigan, we do not hesitate
to use in this compilation what others have written or said in respect to
them, or to copy verbatim the words of others. So that in recounting
what the subject of this sketch did, by which the future may diagnose
the man, and judge how much he, by his acts, and their results, has
contributed toward making the present Detroit.

Stephen Mack, was the son of Solomon Mack, who was born at
Lynn, Connecticut, in 1735? ^"^^ ^^ ^^^ early age of four years was
thrown upon the cold charity of the world. His was a life of hard-
ship : shipwrecked at sea — captured and held as a prisoner of war —
maimed, and worn out, he died and was buried at Gibson, New Hamp-
shire. Such was the stock from which Stephen sprang. He was also
born at Lynn, in 1764. " He lived with his father, from whom he
acquired many of those traits of energy and indomitable perseverence
which characterized his after life." While yet a lad, he moved with his
father and mother to New Hampshire.

Stephen (as well as his father) took an early and zealous part in
the revolutionary struggle, and was distinguished for his patriotism and
bravery, and at its close returned to New Hampshire, and engaged in
farming and mercantile business. After a few 3^ears he removed to
Tunbridge, Vt., where he pursued the same business until 1807, when
he removed to Detroit, and became a partner with Thomas Emerson.
Col. Mack left his family, which consisted of twelve children, at Tun-
bridge, until 1822, in order that his children might enjoy the educa-
tional advantages, which Detroit at that day could not afford them.
" One of his daughters, Lovicy, who married David Cooper, preceded
the rest of the family some four years, and took charge of his house,
which was a two-story building on Jefferson avenue, just west of Fire-
man's hall."

At the time of Hull's surrender, Emerson and Mack were doing
a large business. Fearful that their goods would be destroyed, they
packed them up, together with their books and papers, and gave
them in charge of Captain Muir, who controlled the Government
storehouse. Col. Mack himself was made a prisoner and sent to
Quebec for his supposed influence over the American troops. Mean-
while the business of Emerson & Mack languished and did not revive
until 1816, at which time David Cooper became their chief clerk.

In 1818, Oakland county being open to settlement. Colonel Mack,
on the 5th of November, organized an association consisting of William
Woodbridge, Solomon Sibley, John L. Whiting, Austin E. Wing,



— 227 —

David C. McKinstry, Benjamin Stead, Henry I. Hunt, Abram
Edwards, Alexander Macomb, Archibald Darrow, and Andrew G.
Whitney, of Detroit, and William Thompson, Daniel LeRoy, and James
Fulton, of Macomb, under the name of the Pontiac company, and, pur-
chasintr a large tract of land, laid out the present city of Pontiac, con-
structed a road from Detroit to the new city, and also built mills,
erected buildings, and thus laid the foundation of what has since
become a beautiful and thriving town. The Colonel at that time asso-
ciated Solomon Sibley and Shubael Conant with him, and erected the
first flour and saw mill on the Clinton river, which were completed in
1 82 1. The event was duly celebrated by the nomination of Solomon
Sibley, as Oakland county's choice, for delegate to Congress, which
was subsequently ratified by other counties, and he was elected to
Congress from the Territory of Michigan.

The investments of Mack and Conant at Pontiac resulted some-
what disastrously at first, owing to dela3'S on the part of the govern-
ment in paying certain claims for advances made in its behalf by the
firm; and the better to look after their interests. Colonel Mack, in 1823,
took up his permanent residence at Pontiac, and was subsequently
elected a member of the first Legislative Council of the Territory.

Colonel Mack, with great foresight, made many valuable pur-
chases of real estate in Wayne county, also, among them, the block
between Bates and Randolph, fronting on Atwater, extending to the
river, the corner where now stands the Board of Trade building, the
four lots now occupied by the Detroit and Cleveland Steam Navigation
company, the VanDyke farm, the valuable stone quarry near Trenton,
now owned by the Sibleys, and a considerable portion of the present
site of Wyandotte.

" Stephen Mack first acquired his military title as commander of a
Vermont regiment, and when a battalion was organized to protect the
frontier of Michigan, he became captain of a company of infantry."

Colonel Mack married Miss Temperance Bond, of Gilsom, New
Hampshire, in 1788. They had twelve children.

Alter the death of Colonel Mack, Mrs. Mack removed to Kirk-
land, Ohio, where she had a daughter, whose husband was remotely
related to the Mormon leader, Jo. Smith; but she, nor none of the
family ever endorsed Mormonism. She died at Kirkland at the age of
eighty years, and not while on a visit to the Mormon capital, as errone-
ously stated by some other biographers.

Colonel Mack was in every sense a self-made man. His natural
abilities were of a high order. Physically, he possessed a powerful
frame, great energy, excellent judgment, a genial temperament, and
commanded the respect and love of his fellow citizens. He died at
Pontiac, November 11, 1826, at the age of sixty-two.



— 228 —

BA VID COOPER.

"His career, though a remarkably successful one, was not char-
acterized by any very startling incidents, nor by any bold operations
incurring great risks and involving large profits or losses. He did not
believe in mere luck or chance, but rather relied upon his own efforts,
prudence and merit. He never indulged in extravagancies or trivial
amusements. Scrupulously honest himself, he accorded to others their
just dues and demanded the same rule of action toward himself. He
despised low, cunning and trickery in all its forms and would hold no
intercourse with those whose moral and business character would not
bear the strictest scrutiny. It was Mr. Cooper's purpose in early life
to discipline himself to meet all the contingencies incident to a business
life. * * '" As a citizen he was respected by the community and
from time to time received from it tokens of confidence and regard.
He never betrayed a trust or disappointed a friend. Though his
charities were not the topic of general laudation * * * there are
those who will bear testimony to his liberal gifts for worthy objects
* * but bestowed in so unpretentious a manner as not to attract
public notice." — The above is a sketch from George L. Whitney.

David Cooper was born in Montreal, Canada, November 25th,
1789, and was of Scotch descent, his grandparents being natives of
Edinburgh. He came to Detroit in 1799, a lad of but ten years of age,
" without influential friends and no relatives, except a widowed step-
mother of slender means." Being thus necessitated to earn his own
living he accepted an apprenticeship with Mr. James Henry, then a
merchant and carried on a tannery also. His store was on St. Ann
street, now Jefferson avenue, just west of the present site of the Michi-
gan Exchange.

" To Mr. Henry he was largely indebted for those business habits
which formed the basis of his after success in life."

At the close of his apprenticeship he became chief clerk for the
house of Thomas Emerson & Co., afterwards known as the firm of
Mack & Conant. He continued with this firm until financial embar-
rassment compelled an assignment.

During the war of 181 2 he was sergeant in Captain Whittimore
Knaggs' company and a participant at the battle of Brownstown, and
was detailed to bring up the wounded. It will be remembered that
Captain Knaggs, above referred to, was Indian interpreter to Generals
Hull, Cass and Winchester. He was both greatly feared and respected
by the Indians, and was hated so bitterly by Proctor that he offered, at
one time, a reward of $3,000 for his capture, dead or alive. The
friendship between Mr. Cooper and Captain Knaggs was very warm,
and for several years he made his home with the latter. Mr. James



— 229 —

W. Knaggs, son of Captain Whittimore, now living and a resident of
Detroit, relates to-day several incidents illustrating some of the charac-
teristics peculiar to Mr. Cooper, referred to by Mr. Whitney. "When
he, Mr. C, was about starting for himself, he needed a horse to make
the journey to New York, he also needed money to make his pur-
chases and pay his expenses, and, therefore, did not feel that he could
pay a large price for a horse. James W. Knaggs had a tine horse, and
said to Mr. Cooper, 'Buy my horse.' 'No,' said Mr. Cooper, 'I
cannot pay you what it is worth.' 'Well,' replied Mr. Knaggs,
'would thirty-five dollars be more than you can pay?' 'Oh, that
if far below his value,' said Mr. Cooper, but finally the horse became
the property of Mr. Cooper. ' But,' says Mr. Knaggs, ' I had much
difficult}" in persuading him to take it at my price.' " Another : " In
1875, on returning from Montreal, Mr. Knaggs had quite a large
amount in drafts payable at Detroit banks. His long absence had left
but few who could identify him, but he thought of David Cooper,
whom he had not seen for fifty years. On calling, Mr. Cooper came
to the door himself, at once recognized Mr. Knaggs, exclaimed,
'Why, James!' and put his arms about his neck and kissed him." Still
another, as related by J. W. Knaggs: "While my father was held a
prisoner in Quebec, Mr. Cooper knew he must need money, and I
remember that he counted all the money he had and sent it to my
father."

Such incidents told by a contemporary seem to show Mr. Cooper's
sense of justice and fidelity to friends. Perhaps no resident American,
at that early day, was more esteemed by the old French and Indians,
with whom he always had great influence.

In 1824, Mr. Cooper, pursuant to a long cherished plan to engage
in business on his own account, prepared for his visit to the east for the
purchase of goods. Armed with letters and other testimonials, he
mounted the horse bought of James W. Knaggs, and, in company with
Doctor Marshall Chapin and John Palmer, set out upon his journey.
On his arrival in Boston he met with no difficulty in buying his stock
of goods, which he received sometime in June, and opened a store on
Woodward avenue, which he continued until 1835, when he joined
with DeGarmo Jones in the erection of what was known as the Cooper
block on Jefferson avenue, where he continued a successful business
up to the year 1849, when he retired. After retiring from the mercan-
tile business, having an interest in a lime stone quarry near Browns-
town, he opened a yard on Woodbridge street and did an extensive
business in the sale of lime and stone for several years. He at one



Online LibraryFred. (Frederick) CarlisleChronography of notable events in the history of the Northwest territory and Wayne County → online text (page 24 of 51)