Fred. (Frederick) Carlisle.

Chronography of notable events in the history of the Northwest territory and Wayne County online

. (page 27 of 51)
Online LibraryFred. (Frederick) CarlisleChronography of notable events in the history of the Northwest territory and Wayne County → online text (page 27 of 51)
Font size
QR-code for this ebook


ous home, now occupied by the Sisters of the Good Shepherd. It is
known from conversations which Captain Ward held at different times
with various persons that he regarded his great fortune as the result of
the joint efforts and accumulations of " Aunt " Emily and himself,
rather than his own alone. He always expected that he would outlive
his sister, but his will provided that she should get her rightful share of
the property in case of his death. The instrument made her a residu-
ary legatee, and at the time the instrument was drawn he expected that
her share of the estate would be a half million dollars or upward. At



— 248 —

the time of his sudden death from apoplexy, January i, 1875, however,
his affairs were left in great confusion, and the values of his invest-
ments were much depressed as a result of the great panic. The con-
sequence was that, although by careful financiering a large portion of
the estate was ultimately saved to the captain's second wife, "Aunt"
Emily rt-alized little or nothing from it, although she has since been the
recipient of several thousand dollars at different times from Mrs. E. B.
Ward, now Mrs. Cameron.

Since her brother's death "Aunt" Emily has continued to reside
in honored and peaceful old age at her home in this city, frequently
visited by her surviving and loving " children," and the many others
whose lives she was enabled to brighten. Still a new family generation
has been growing up about her — her " grandchildren's " children. Her
household at present consists of her nieces, Mrs. D. P. Mayhew, widow
of a State Normal School professor, Miss Mary Brindle, and a grand
niece and grand nephew^, children of Mrs. Mayhew.



JAMES F. JOT,



At the dedication of the Detroit Board of Trade Building, the
orator on the occasion, Hon. Geo. V. N. Lothrop, opened with the
following eloquently expressed sentiments : " The growth of communi-
ties and people is marked by the monuments they build. What a State
is, or has been, we find in its cities, its laws, its institutions, its acts, its
commerce, or in its works of industry or science."

We would add that while these are evidences which convey to
the future what man has accomplished, yet the heart which prompted,
the brain which devised, and the hand that executed, would be
unknown, except for the written record of the acts and deeds of the
individual contributing.

It was this thought that suggested the action taken by the Pioneer
and Historical Society in providing for the compilation of the hves of
those men and women who laid the foundation stone upon which has
been erected the beautiful city, the Metropolis of the prosperous State,
"our Michigan."

Among those who have been prominently identified with the
growth of Michigan is the Hon. James F. Joy, a native of the State of
New Hampshire, and born at Durham, in that State, December 2d,
1810.

The father of James F. Joy was a manufacturer of edge tools, a
Calvanist in religion, a member of the Congregational church and a
Republican in politics. He sought the moral and spiritual culture of
his children, teaching them to be honest, prudent, studious and regular
in their attendance upon religious exercises.



— 249 —

In early life Mr. Joy gained, at the common school, sufficient
knowledge to teach, and in this way obtained means with which (and
what his father could give) to prepare for his college course. He
entered Dartmouth College, graduating therefrom in 1833, and delivered
the valedictory address. He then went to Cambridge and entered the
law school under the patronage of the late Judge Story, and aided by
his and the personal friendship of Professor Greenleaf, laid the found-
ation of his future success. Judge Story frequently spoke in high
praise of Mr. Joy's devotion to the law, and as early as 1840 predicted
his triumph in any course he should select. Owing to his being unable
to continue his studies on account of pecuniary circumstances, he
obtained a situation as Preceptor in Pittsfield Academy, and afterwards
was tutor of Latin classes at Dartmouth College.

At the end of a year he returned to Cambridge law school and
completed his course. In September, 1836, he came to Detroit and
entered the law office of the Hon. Augustus S. Porter, one of the
noblest men that ever represented Michigan in the United States
Senate. In 1837 he was admitted to the bar and became a partner of
George F. Porter, under the firm name of Joy & Porter. The prom-
inent members of the Detroit bar at this period were George C. Bates,
Henry N. Walker, A. W. Buel, Henry Chipman, Alex. D. Frazer,
A. S. Porter, Theodore Romeyn, William Hale, J. M. Howard,
John Norvell, Daniel Goodwin, Stevens T. Mason, William Wood-
bridge, Charles W. Whipple, James A. VanDyke, Elon Farnsworth
and George E. Hand. These were men of note then, and subse-
quently acquired national reputation as jurists, judges and statesmen.

With such associates at the bar, Mr. Joy commenced the practice
of his profession in Michigan. His partner, George F. Porter, having
been engaged in banking and other financial operations which had
given him an extended acquaintance with capitalists and men of wealth,
at once brought to the firm a class of clients whose business afforded
Mr. Joy the exercise and application of that logical mind and know-
ledge of law with which nature and careful study had endowed him.

A brief review of Michigan, then, will best illustrate what such
men as Mr. Joy must have accomplished to make the Michigan of
to-day.

Although Congress had passed the Act (June 15th, 1836) recogniz-
ing its constitution and State government, it provided that the bound-
aries defined by the Act must be assented to by the people through
their delegates in convention. This assent was given December 15th,
1836, and on January 26, 1837, the Act passed, admitting Michigan and
declaring it to be one of the United States.

Prior to this period the territory had been comparatively non-pro-
ducing, the great bulk of its breadstuffs, provisions and manufactures
17



— 250 —

being imported from the States of Ohio, New York and New Eng-
land. In 1837 there was a change in agricultural products and from
an importing it became an exporting State. This necessitated increased
banking facilities and appHances for transportation of its products.
There were then but three banks in Michigan of recognized credit
outside the State — Bank of Michigan, Farmers' and Mechanics' and
Michigan State Bank. Their aggregate capital stock was about
$300,000. The Detroit and St. Joseph railroad (now the Michigan
Central) and the Pontiac and Detroit (now known as the Detroit and
Milwaukee) were the only roads existing, except on paper, the first
having about thirty miles in operation and the latter but twelve miles.
The entire tonnage of the lakes did not exceed that of three of the
steamers of the present day. The Legislature, seeking to meet these
necessities, passed a general banking law so liberal in character that
there were few of the inhabitants of the State who could not afford to
start a bank. The capital stock was based on landed property amount-
ing to three times the value of the stock. Only a small amount of
specie was required. The lands were appraised at fabulous prices. A
few thousand dollars in specie, borrowed for a show to the commission-
ers on their periodical visits, was sufficient to commence. There were
at this time some fifty of these institutions in the State, whose notes
flooded the country, and finding their way into the sound institutions
were immediately paid out (but sometimes too late). The wild-cat
system had but a short duration, as the banks were closed up within
three years, and the three chartered banks referred to suffered largely
in the end. The Legislature also provided for and established an
Internal Improvement system which contemplated the purchase of all
railroads, then chartered, also the construction of canals, toll roads, etc.,
and a negotiation of a loan to meet the cost. Pursuant to the authority
conferred, the Detroit and St. Joseph railroad was purchased and the
name changed to the Michigan Central. The work of construction on
it, together with that upon the other improvements authorized, pro-
gressed until danger of bankruptcy intervened, causing their sale or
abandonment.

Returning to the detail of notable events in which Mr. Joy was a
prominent and active participator.

Soon after the establishment of the firm of Joy & Porter it was
made the attorneys and counsel of the old Bank of Michigan, then
almost the only bank in the northwest, having a recognized credit with
eastern banks and capitalists, hence this relation brought them a lucra-
tive practice. Mr. Joy, as the legal head of the firm, was employed in
most of the important cases in the Federal and State Courts. The
Messrs. Dwight, of New York and Massachusetts, were the principal
owners of the old Bank of Michigan. They also owned two banks in



— 251 —

Cleveland, one in Buffalo, and one in Springfield. From 1837 to 1847
Mr. Joy was their confidential and leading counsel, and when, in 1841,
the old Bank of Michigan, in consequence of a combination of circum-
stances dating back to 1836, was compelled to make an assignment,
Mr. Joy, as its attorney in the legal complication incident, was called
to meet the most gifted and distinguished minds in the nation.

One of the most important cases conducted by Mr. Joy was that
of Bates vs. The Illinois Railroad Company, and involved the title to
the present site of the Michigan Central depot ground in Chicago,
which was carried through the United States, District, Circuit and
Supreme Courts and won by Mr. Joy. Opposed to Mr. Joy in this
case at its different stages were John A. Mills and Matthew McLean,
eminent in their profession as successful practitioners in the United
States courts.

In 1846 Michigan, through the operations of The Internal Improve-
ment System, was bankrupt. Through the efforts of Mr. Joy, and the
influence directed by him, Boston capitalists were induced to purchase
the Michigan Central Railroad and from that period until the present
he has been identified with it and with the railway enterprises of
Michigan and the west.

The sale of the Michigan Central road thus made, relieved the
State and restored it to solvency. Towns and villages along its line
sprang up, manufacturing industries were multiplied, farms were im-
proved, and general business throughout the State assumed a pros-
perous condition. After the completion of the Michigan Central to
Chicago Mr. Joy organized the Chicago, Burlington and Quincy Rail-
road Company. The building of this road, at a cost of sixty million
dollars, opened up a tract of country, the products of which transported
over it have enabled the company to pay an annual dividend of ten per
cent. To make his connections with the Hannibal and St. Joseph rail-
road he spanned the Mississippi river at Quincy and the Missouri at
Kansas City with magnificent iron bridges, and extended a branch to
the Indian Territory, fixing his termini at Ft. Kearney, Nebraska.
He thus had a continuous railway line from Detroit to Kansas and
Nebraska.

Among the Michigan railroads since projected, and in the building
of which Mr. Joy was the chief promoter, are the Detroit, Lansing
and Northern, the Detroit and Bay City, the Air Line from Jackson
to Niles, the Jackson, Lansing and Saginaw, the Chicago and West
Michigan, the Kalamazoo and South Haven, and the Wabash. He has
also constructed the Detroit union railroad depot building at a cost,
including the land, of $2,000,000. He has withdrawn from the active
control of all the foregoing roads except the last named, but is still a
stockholder and director in some of them. He is president of the
company controlling and owning the Detroit Union Depot.



— 252 —

From the period when Mr. Joy first became identified with the
construction of railways, he has been the chief factor in the building of
sixteen hundred miles of railroad within the State of Michigan. To
deny that he has not been a large contributor to its growth in material
wealth and population would be to deny that railroads are aids to the
development of countries or people.

While Mr. Joy has been engaged in these vast enterprises he has
not failed in the performance of his duties as a Christian, an education-
ist or as a public citizen. In his religious views he is a liberal Congre-
gationalist, time and study having somewhat modified the Puritan ideas
imbibed in early life.

In educational interests, although taking delight in the study of
Greek, Latin, French and English classics, few have done more than
Mr. Joy to foster and develop our common schools.

In politics he is Republican— not a politician in the sense in which
the term is ordinarily applied; not a seeker of public office. As in
everything else, he is firm and earnest in advocating and maintaining
his political views.

Mr. Joy has been a member of the State Legislature, and was
elected a Regent of the State University but resigned before the expir-
ation of the term for which he was elected.

In his personnel Mr. Joy is courteous and pleasant, but not effusive.

His physique is a proof of his having retained the habits formed
in early life of avoiding the indulgence in all that is detrimental to
physical organism.



WILLIAM MOORE.



William Moore was the great-grandson of John Moore of the
McDonald clan, who was murdered in his own garden on the morning
of February 13, 1692, at the " Massacre of Glencoe," so-called,
in Argyleshire, Scotland, which massacre is so graphically described
in the fourth volume of Macaulay's History of England. The widow
of the murdered man hid herself from the slayers of her husband
in a malt kiln, and while thus concealed, gave birth to a son whom
she named John, and with whom she soon after fled to Londonderry,
Ireland.

In the year 17 18, John, with his mother and two sisters, who had
survived the massacre, came over with a party of about one hundred
and twenty other persons, to America, and settled at Londonderry,
New Hampshire.

John married, and his third son, William, was born August 15



— 253 —

i73i> and on the 13th day of December, 1763, he married Jennie
Holmes, and removed to Peterboro, New Hampshire, settled upon a
farm, and to them twelve children were born, the youngest of whom
was the subject of this sketch, and was born at Peterboro on the
9th day of April, 1787.

At the age of eighteen he emigrated to Phelps, Ontario county,
New York, where on the 7th of November, 1806, he married Lucy
Rice, formerly of Conway, Massachusetts, who bore him ten children.

His trade was making small spinning wheels for spinning flax, at
which trade he worked during the winter, and during the summer he
cultivated and improved the farm he owned. He continued to reside
there, holding various local offices; he was Justice of the Peace for six-
teen years in succession, prior to the summer of 1831, when he
removed to York, Washtenaw county, Michigan. In 1832 he was
appointed a Justice of the Peace, and he held such office by appoint-
ment and by election, after Michigan became a State, for the period of
twelve years.

On the first day of September, 1845, his wife died, and on the 17th
of April, 1847, he married Mrs. Sallie Holmes, with whom he lived
until his decease.

He was a member of the convention called for the preparation of
the first Constitution of this State, which convened May nth, 1835.
Edward Mundy, Abel Goddard, Orrin Howe and Robert Purdy
were among his colleagues from Washtenaw county. He was a mem-
ber of the first Senate after Michigan became a State, and was a
member of the House from Washtenaw county of the session of 1843.
He was a man of great energy of character, fearless in maintaining his
own rights, liberal in his views and pocket. The latch string of his
house was always out, and his house open to the early settlers in that
portion of the State. His father was active in the War of the Revolu-
tion, and fought at the battle of Bennington, July 19th, 1777. He
(William) was a volunteer in the war of 181 2, was at the burning of
Buffalo, and the sortie at Fort Erie, and his widow, born June 24, 1787,
living until June 10, 1887, received a pension from the Government
for his services in that war. He was a farmer by occupation, a Baptist
in religion, and a Democrat in politics. He died December 4th, 1850,
and was buried at the family burial ground at Mooreville, leaving seven
children surviving him, only one of whom, William A. Moore, of
Detroit, is now living.



LE VI BISHOP.



Levi Bishop, long a celebrated lawyer in Detroit, came to the city
sometime during the early portion of the thirties. In early life he



— 254 —

learned the shoemaker's trade, and traveled around the country earn-
ing a little money by doing "jour work." I presume in the shops where
he worked and where he met jovial companions he acquired much of
that ready wit and faculty of repartee which showed itself on many
occasions when he met the members of the Detroit bar in legal
encounters.

He worked at his trade in the city until he lost his right hand
when firing off a cannon on the fourth day of July, 1836. After that
accident he commenced the study of law, and in time arose to be one
of the leading members of the Detroit bar. That is saying much for
his ability, for there were scions there in his day. Before engaging
much in the practice of his profession he acted as Justice of the Peace
of the city and before him appeared many young "sprigs" or "limbs of
the law" who subsequently acquired eminence in the profession. " Billy"
Gray, G. V. N. Lothrop, James A. VanDyke, H. H. Emmons and
Judge Campbell had many a tilt in the presence of his Honor, Levi
Bishop. It has been often said by these tyros that his Honor had a
happy faculty of disposing of causes, and occasionally pettifoggers, in
court.

He was an official and faithful attendant upon divine service at
St. Paul's church on Congress street, and probably during the entire
period when Bishop McCoskey officiated there, he was seen very
regularly in his pew repeating the formula and responses of his church.
He was not a zealot in Christianity, and did not approve of Puritanical
notions; was inclined to be tolerant in religion, and no one would form
an opinion when hearing him deliver a Democratic speech or legal
argument that he had any religious notions.

In politics he was a Democrat of the " Old Hickory School," hard
shelled. The writer has heard him, in many Democratic wigwams,
orate about the purity of his party, when he would be listened to and
applauded by ex-Mayor Wheaton, John Paton, George Pattison,
the Prentices and the faithful from "ould Ireland." Occasionally he
was very sarcastic in his remarks when talking about the opposite
party and their leaders. He was not an office seeker, and held only
two political offices, one being a member of the Legislature of this
State. He was an unsuccessful candidate in 1870 for the Legis-
lature of 1 87 1, his opponent defeating him by a small majority.

For several years he devoted much of his time and attention to the
improvement of schools in Detroit, laboring zealously in building the
foundation of the present successful and excellent school system. The
Bishop Union School Building is a monument to his memory. He was
at one time Regent of the University, and while there succeeded in
effecting the removal of the learned and worthy Chancellor, the Rev.
Dr. Tappan, who died recently and whose remains are interred in a



— 255 —

foreign land. This was considered by many a very unwise movement
by Mr. Bishop, rendering him unpopuhir and weaning from him many
friends.

He was at one time president of the Young Men's Society in
Detroit, and I heard him deliver a lecture before an audience in their
hall which cost him much labor and on which he was engaged for a
year, as he subsequently informed me. It was well written, clothed in
beautiful language, and gave evidence that the speaker had indus-
triously labored on the subject. Mr. Bishop was not in the habit of
writing poetical compositions for the press or magazines, and conse-
quently the reading public was astonished on the first appearance of a
poetical Indian legend composed by him called " Tensha Gronde," in
the style of Hiawatha. The reading public was divided in opinion
about its merits. It probably was not a remunerative work to its
author.

About the close of his life he was President of the Pioneer Society
of Detroit and took an active part in writing up and collecting facts
relative to the early history of Michigan and Detroit. I presume the
papers which he composed, collected and revised would make several
volumes.

Mr. Bishop was an industrious man, thorough in his labors, and
probably no member of the Detroit bar ever prepared cases that
exhibited more research than those which he attended to. He was a
successful lawyer, and his name appears in many important cases in the
Supreme Court reports of this state. He accumulated a large property
and left an ample amount to his widow, a worthy and intellectual lady,
his companion for years, who now resides in Detroit.

Mr. Bishop was born at Russell, in the State of Massachusetts,
October 15th, 1815. He came to Detroit in 1835, and departed this life
December 23d, 1881.



DONALD CAMPBELL HENDERSON.

Those who personally know the subject of this sketch will vouch
for one of his characteristics — that of fidelity — and as one who " con-
veys his love to a friend, as an arrow to the mark, to stick there, not
as a ball against a wall, to rebound back to him." They will accord to
him also originality in thought, words and acts, independence in his
views and opinions, courageous and firm in defending and maintaining
them, modest and unassuming in manner, kind and courteous in his
bearing to all, with sensibilities as tender as a child's. Full of sympathy
for the unfortunate, his heart and hand are ever open to relieve and
mitigate the ills of humanity.



— 256 —

Donald Campbell Henderson is of Scotch descent. His father,
James Henderson, and his mother, Isabella Campbell, were natives of
Caithnesshire, Scotland, and were allied to the families of Campbell,
Sinclair and Mclvors. His father was a man of culture, and was
for a time private secretary to Sir John Sinclair, the admirer and cor-
respondent of George Washington. In 1834 ^^'- Henderson's parents
removed to America, and for a number of years his father superin-
tended the construction of mills at Hamilton, Canada, and Rochester,
New York. He settled in Detroit in 1835, where he remained until
1838, when he moved to Allegan, Michigan, and built the first flour
mill there. Subsequently he engaged in farming, which he continued
until his death, September 30, 1875. Isabella Campbell Henderson
died May ist, 1872. She was a woman of great firmness of character
and of rare intellectual ability. She was not only respected for these
qualities, but loved by her neighbors and acquaintances for her gener-
osity and kindness of heart. They left three sons — Alexander, sheriff
for two terms of Allegan county; Donald C, the subject of this sketch,
and James D., captain and assistant quartermaster during the War of the
Rebellion (the last commission signed by President Lincoln was that
assigning Captain James D. Henderson to take charge of the quarter-
master's department at Richmond), and two daughters, Mrs. Elizabeth
Sinclair Nichols, of Allegan, and Mrs. Anna B. Clubb, wife of Rev.
Henry S. Clubb, of Philadelphia, Pa.

The parents of Mr. Henderson were desirous that he should
become a professional man, and knowing that Allegan could furnish
but limited educational facilities, decided to leave him under the guard-
ianship of Mr. Alexander McFarlane, who at that period was the
prominent bookseller of Detroit, in order that he might have the
advantages of tuition under Wm. Mitchell and others, at whose select
school Mr. Henderson had as associates some who have since become
the leading citizens of the city and State. His guardian, Mr. McFarlane,
was a man of strict integrity, a member of the First Presbyterian
church, and therefore his influence and teachings served to impress
lessons of a healthful, moral character upon the mind of his ward,
which he has never forgotten. The late Senator Chandler, Alanson
Sheley and J. S. Farrand were among his early teachers in the Sabbath
School, for whom he cherishes a strong affection, they in turn always



Online LibraryFred. (Frederick) CarlisleChronography of notable events in the history of the Northwest territory and Wayne County → online text (page 27 of 51)